Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
I just realised that, despite what we may be thinking, iTunes Match does not stream in iOS 6. I noticed this when I checked the usage portion of iPhone settings and saw that every song I played, the Music App was using more and more space - aka downloading the songs.

However, when I turn off iTunes match, it deletes all those songs.

I'm not sure why Apple has this new behaviour in iOS 6, and I'm pretty upset there is no real streaming.

Disclaimer: this may just be my iPhone being annoying. I've restored a total of 3 times now and it still does the same thing though.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Not the case my end, easiest way to check if they have been downloaded is to turn off "show all music" in music settings.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
iOS5 didn't stream either. I'm pretty sure that was an old rumor that was debunked during the iOS 5 beta. The songs are being downloaded, and you can start playing before it's finished (pseudostreaming), but it's not actually streaming the songs.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
iOS5 didn't stream either. I'm pretty sure that was an old rumor that was debunked during the iOS 5 beta. The songs are being downloaded, and you can start playing before it's finished (pseudostreaming), but it's not actually streaming the songs.

Last year, there was some controversy over whether or not Apple's iTunes Match service supported streaming of music or just downloading files. As it stands, iTunes Match appears to play songs as they download, which is an issue of semantics -- but all that will change in iOS 6.

As noted by Apple 'n' Apps, in the iOS 6 beta, iTunes Match has become a full-on streaming service. Songs can be downloaded or streamed, with streaming being the default playback option:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/1...orts-both-streaming-and-downloading-of-music/

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Meh, when streaming you essentially download it. So keeping the local copy doesn't bother me since a lot of the songs I will listen to again over the week.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
All I know is Apple never said iTunes Match would stream, and no one has indicated that iOS6 is streaming the songs, so it's working the way it's supposed to as far as I'm concerned. If and when Apple announces that they'll start streaming, then it's a different issue.

For what its worth, their test was faulty. Turning off iTunes Match deletes the songs downloaded through the service. They reached the wrong conclusion about what was happening.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
I just realised that, despite what we may be thinking, iTunes Match does not stream in iOS 6. I noticed this when I checked the usage portion of iPhone settings and saw that every song I played, the Music App was using more and more space - aka downloading the songs.

However, when I turn off iTunes match, it deletes all those songs.

I'm not sure why Apple has this new behaviour in iOS 6, and I'm pretty upset there is no real streaming.

Disclaimer: this may just be my iPhone being annoying. I've restored a total of 3 times now and it still does the same thing though.

It was in the working in the beta unless apple disable it at their back end to fix other iTunes Match related stuff. I hope it does get fix or enabled soon.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
You can wipe the cache in settings->general->usage.
I don't see that option, but even if I did, that is no solution. Is it not 'all or nothing'?
What has happened to the option of removing tracks that have been downloaded from Match?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I don't see that option, but even if I did, that is no solution. Is it not 'all or nothing'?
What has happened to the option of removing tracks that have been downloaded from Match?

Wiped away when you upgraded to iOS6.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
I just realised that, despite what we may be thinking, iTunes Match does not stream in iOS 6.

With iTunes Match enabled, you can access any song in your library regardless of whether it is already stored on your device. When you select a song, it starts playing immediately and is downloaded to your device.

If your device runs short on available space, it will automatically delete songs that have not been used recently. You can also do this manually if you prefer, but it is not necessary.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
You can wipe the songs that have been cached,
Settings -> general -> usage -> music

yeah bro, but i dont want to dele all the songs at once, i want to delete each one like before...:(

salimdao

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
Anaheim, CA
I was pretty excited about the prospect of streaming on iOS6. oh well. how is the sound quality while it is downloading over 3G on iOS6? I heard it was crap in the betas.

fredwhy

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
i can verify

that iOS6 when I had the developer version install did indeed stream the songs. It was amazing and now I truly regret upgrading to the GM. I am going to try and see if Amazon Cloud Player is a pretty good option.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I thought iOS 6 allowed you to stream music as well as download it. It doesn't it just downloads like before but worse than that you can't delete individual tracks once downloaded.

I have 0 music on my iPad. I listen to a track from iTunes Match.

In settings change it to only show downloaded music and there is the track I just listened to plus the next one on the album.

I try to delete the music and I can't.

I go to settings/about. It confirms I have 2 tracks on my device when a few seconds ago I had zero.

Why oh why can't I just stream my music!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.