PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for Event Videography?

cwright
Aug 15, 2005, 09:27 PM
Hey everyone, I need some advice on how much to charge on this type of work. I'm 18 and moving out for college this week. Currently I'm working on two different projects that I'm charging $20/hour for. I often hear that professionals in this field are charging $100$150 per hour.

I'm trying to figure out how much I should raise my rate after these two projects. My dad and I were thinking about something like $40/hour for field work (shooting video) and $30/hour for editing and DVD authoring.

Now I know my work is worth that much, but I don't know if clients are willing to pay that much for a college student. I have about 5 years of experience, and in the past 2-3 years I have started charging. And now I am too the point where I have many clients (all of which have been very satisfied) and I've had enough work for this to be my full time job when not in classes.

What I'm working on now is corporate/event video work, but the majority of my paid work so far has been weddings. For weddings I have set package prices starting at $800... I'm just trying to determine what I should charge on other projects.

And while I'm on that subject, how much would you charge for logging/capturing video? This one's tough because it can take ALOT of time but you don't have to be at the computer all the time (just every 60 minutes to change tapes). Do professionals charge full rate for the time it takes to capture footage, or some sort of discounted rate?

Thanks for your help!