PDA

View Full Version : Best linux distribution for 2012 MBA?

asting
Sep 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
Hello,
So the MBA has been out a bit, and I'm curious what anyone is using for linux. I'm looking to either install on a SD (I know it'll be a tad slow) or partition about 20gb to use as a linux distribution.
I'm most familiar with Ubuntu, but the threads I find on installing all detail kernel issues which result in broken boots with crashes. I've used suse, debian, and fedora a fair bit, but again am seeing install issues.
Does anyone have a fully functional (or near fully functional) dual boot with linux? If so, what are you running and how did you get it that way

It's also worth noting that the kernel issues I've seen are limited to the new 2012 model. There are plenty of working distributions for older models.

Thanks

stchman
Sep 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
I run Ubuntu 12.04 64bit in VirtualBox very well. I recommend you have the 8GB model.

asting
Sep 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
I run Ubuntu 12.04 64bit in VirtualBox very well. I recommend you have the 8GB model.

Thanks, I'm actually looking more at running a separate boot rather than a virtual box.

calvol
Sep 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
I would like to know this too, I'm running MintLinux13 on a PC laptop and love it, would like to try dual-boot on my MBA as well.

asting
Sep 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
I'm installing ubuntu right now. See this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2039799