PDA

View Full Version : How does After Effects run on the new Airs?

TeeRom
Sep 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
I'm looking at the base model 13" 2012 Airs. I like the size and the screen better than the Pro, but I'm not exactly sure how well it handles After Effects. Anyone using it now? How does it run?

chrono1081
Sep 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
I'm assuming you know that you really should get either a Macbook Pro, iMac, or Mac Pro for After Effects and you're only asking incase you need to use it on a pinch on the air....but in case you don't:

You should really get a machine with at least 8 - 12 gigs of RAM for After Effects. It snarfs up 22 gigs of RAM on the desktop in my sig (that being said I don't use it often and haven't made use of proxies for HD video).

That being said it is run-able on the air in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend you do a lot of rendering with it.

TeeRom
Sep 13, 2012, 07:42 PM
I'm assuming you know that you really should get either a Macbook Pro, iMac, or Mac Pro for After Effects and you're only asking incase you need to use it on a pinch on the air....but in case you don't:

You should really get a machine with at least 8 - 12 gigs of RAM for After Effects. It snarfs up 22 gigs of RAM on the desktop in my sig (that being said I don't use it often and haven't made use of proxies for HD video).

That being said it is run-able on the air in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend you do a lot of rendering with it.

Pretty much... I was planning on getting the Pro but if it was a viable option on the Air I would choose that.

My current laptop has an AMD 2.1 ghz dual core mobile processor. Any Mac I pick, I'm getting a huge upgrade. I've been able to edit some stuff using this (I'm not extremely serious about it at this point, may be in the future though) so do you think it would run faster on the Air than my current laptop?

Wokis
Sep 13, 2012, 11:06 PM
It will run faster than your current, probably. Depends on which gen. AMD processor you have, but I'm guessing it has some years on it.

I've done some simpler compositions in AE (title graphics, transitions, light re-touches) on my MBA and it's been behaving good enough. It all much depends on how advanced stuff you intend to do, really.

13" Pro won't do it much faster. It has a lesser resolution (less work space), about the same processor speed but you can expand memory further should your comps need it.