Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
why dont work on mountain repeat letters like put "zzzzzzzzzzzz" I need type z by z , whats the stupid idea of dont let us repeat letters? any solution? thanks

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It's like that because it now allows a shortcut to diacritical marks. You can disable this feature and restore repeating alphabetic characters by typing the following command in Terminal:

Code:
 defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
thank guys, nice for the apps and "hacks" I usually dont like that kinds of things that touch the system but damn I want repeat letters; why apple remove it? I dont get it... :mad:

thank you!

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
They removed it because of the special characters like áéöő... So for example if you press and hold "o", a mini popup should appear with special "öő" characters.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
They removed it because of the special characters like áéöő... So for example if you press and hold "o", a mini popup should appear with special "öő" characters.

yes I note that, but I hate that apple remove things and dont put optional, we can choose if we want somethings or not;

thank I remove that with the command line code ;)

thankssssssssssssssssssss

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
.....NOW IF APPLE WOULD JUST DISABLE TO CAPS LOCK KEY TOO....:eek:

System Preferences --> Keyboard --> Keyboard --> Modifier Keys. Then you can set the Caps Lock key to something else: Command, Control, Option, or even "No Action".

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
system preferences --> keyboard --> keyboard --> modifier keys. Then you can set the caps lock key to something else: Command, control, option, or even "no action".

I SAID APPLE NOT USER.;) If left up to the user you get CAPS. :D

jerryreff

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Keys will not repeat in Yosemite

I have tried all remedies to no avail. It I enter the command in Terminal, it works for the Terminal mode but nowhere else. I even used Tinker Tool to affect a change but that does not fix it either. The problem is when I am using a word processor app or an email, it simply will not repeat the key when held down. This is a DUMB feature from Apple. Make it an option that can be toggled!!!!!!!!:mad:
s

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I have tried all remedies to no avail. It I enter the command in Terminal, it works for the Terminal mode but nowhere else. I even used Tinker Tool to affect a change but that does not fix it either. The problem is when I am using a word processor app or an email, it simply will not repeat the key when held down. This is a DUMB feature from Apple. Make it an option that can be toggled!!!!!!!!:mad:
s

Yep, it looks like they removed that capability. Can only speak for myself but I find the new functionality for diacritical marks useful and never had a reason to write a long string of a single alpha character.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.