Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I have an HTPC setup using a latest gen Mac mini and a 50" Panasonic plasma TV. I have really not had any problems with my setup and watching movies via Plex. I have, however noticed that when I am streaming flash content, especially sports (watchESPN, MLBTV) there is a little bit of jitter with fast moving objects (football, baseball). I also noticed when streaming ESPN, the scrolling bar at the bottom has a lot of jitter as well. I have Comcast cable Internet and have a fast connection so I don't think it's due to my Internet speed. Is it normal for fast action using flash to have a little jitter when streaming? Anything I could do to eliminate and smooth out playback?

Thanks in advance.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Flash sucks.
Flash on Mac sucks more.

Every now and then they put out a version that is slightly better. If you find one that seems to be better, don't upgrade.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
If I were to install a virtual machine on my Mac mini and use flash through windows, would that be any better?

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Just saw this thread now. FWIW, I have a mid-2009 Mac Mini and use it all the time to stream figure skating via Flash. I haven't noticed the jitteryness you describe (and I *do* see something similar when I use Slingplayer, especially for tennis matches where the white court lines jump).

Is your connection wired? If not that'd be my first suggestion.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Just saw this thread now. FWIW, I have a mid-2009 Mac Mini and use it all the time to stream figure skating via Flash. I haven't noticed the jitteryness you describe (and I *do* see something similar when I use Slingplayer, especially for tennis matches where the white court lines jump).

Is your connection wired? If not that'd be my first suggestion.

Yes, I have a completely wired connection and get pretty good speed from Comcast.
I notice that most of the jitter comes from fast action (football player running the ball, pitcher pitching, etc).
To compare, I have the WatchESPN app and watching football on my iPad wirelessly on my home network is crystal clear with no jitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.