PDA

View Full Version : iPod damages your Health....

sambo.
Aug 16, 2005, 04:05 AM
smh reports...
http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/ipod-warning-turn-it-down/2005/08/16/1123958052824.html

same thing has been happening since the Walkman was invented....
:eek:

bartelby
Aug 16, 2005, 04:26 AM
That's why UK iPods (possibly EU ones) have their output limited.

But there are apps. to reset them to full output.
My hearing is already knackered anyway.

AmigoMac
Aug 16, 2005, 04:58 AM
What? Did I hear iPod? , yeah my ears...

mad jew
Aug 16, 2005, 07:30 AM
For those who want to know, I get way more earwax build up since I got an iPod. :(

mpw
Aug 16, 2005, 07:43 AM
For those who want to know, I get way more earwax build up since I got an iPod. :(
I haven't got an iPod yet but plan to get one. One thing that worries me is that I've already got waxy ears and I figured any in-ear phones are going to make that worse, maybe I could make candles like Shrek!

Would 'DJ' style headphones be any better from either the wax or hearing damage point of view? Anybody know?

If they are I could see a real market for flash memory iPod built into a pair.

iDM
Aug 16, 2005, 07:43 AM
How does the iPod explain earwax build up because since you mention it.....................

Sol
Aug 16, 2005, 07:45 AM
In most cities there is so much environmental noise that music has to be turned up to eleven just to hear the lyrics. There are however alternatives like in-ear and noise canceling headphones that let you hear your music at low volumes. A bit of common sense also needs to be applied. If you feel a headache after four hours of Marilyn Manson then do the sensible thing and put the iPod away.

mad jew
Aug 16, 2005, 07:46 AM
As far as I know, the earwax build up is a result of the noise rather than the actual buds so there'd be no difference between regular iPod buds and DJ 'phones. But we really need resident doctor, EJBasile to help out hear... erm... here.

toothpaste
Aug 16, 2005, 07:48 AM
I haven't got an iPod yet but plan to get one. One thing that worries me is that I've already got waxy ears and I figured any in-ear phones are going to make that worse, maybe I could make candles like Shrek!

Would 'DJ' style headphones be any better from either the wax or hearing damage point of view? Anybody know?

If they are I could see a real market for flash memory iPod built into a pair.

dj style headphones as opposed to in ear/canal phone. dj phones cause less damage as they don't blast directly into your canal and damage the sensitive hair in your innner ear. this doesn't mean you can blast music louder on over the ear phones. common sense is the best.

mad jew
Aug 16, 2005, 07:55 AM
Someone with better experience feel free to jump in any time, I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject at all, but isn't the damage to the ear hears/drum etc. based purely on the volume of noise at that point. In other words, it doesn't matter whether you have really loud music relatively further away (regular buds) or quieter music closer up (in-ear buds) because if both are the same volume at the hairs or at the drum, they'll each cause the same amount of damage. I really could be wrong on this though.

steve_hill4
Aug 16, 2005, 09:19 AM
That's why UK iPods (possibly EU ones) have their output limited.

But there are apps. to reset them to full output.
My hearing is already knackered anyway.
Mine too, well not yet, but it's only a matter of time.

I do intend to remove the EU volume limiter when my 12 months of warranty are up, but until then I have a policy of not playing around with anything on my iPod. Hopefully by that point Linux will be available in full colour for the 4G photo range. Now that would be sweet. :rolleyes:

toothpaste
Aug 16, 2005, 10:07 AM
Someone with better experience feel free to jump in any time, I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject at all, but isn't the damage to the ear hears/drum etc. based purely on the volume of noise at that point. In other words, it doesn't matter whether you have really loud music relatively further away (regular buds) or quieter music closer up (in-ear buds) because if both are the same volume at the hairs or at the drum, they'll each cause the same amount of damage. I really could be wrong on this though.

Sounds about right. Direct vs. indirect contact with in-canal phones and over the ear phones, respectively. However, the direct contact will cause more damage quicker.

zelmo
Aug 16, 2005, 10:12 AM
...maybe I could make candles like Shrek!

Nice image, thanks. :)

sambo.
Aug 17, 2005, 09:02 PM
those little ear-bud headphones are dodgy.
they may look daggy (i don't rekon, but some people do), but a set of enclosed "audiophile" headphones will damage your ears less....
just my two cents... :eek:

mikebatho
Aug 18, 2005, 02:59 AM
What an eye opener - blasting loud music into your eardrums is bad for you!!

What a dumb article!!! This has indeed been going on since the walkman.

And as for the bit about if it's too loud to hear people talking it's bad for you??

I only use the thing so I don't HAVE to listen to people's constant prattle!!!! (on public transport etc)

The volume restricter came off my ipod mini after about 12 hours and now kicks out at a jolly old rate.

If I'm going to have a personal stereo, it's gonna be loud enough to do justice to my kind of music.

Either that or I won't bother at all.

sambo.
Aug 18, 2005, 03:39 AM
What an eye opener - blasting loud music into your eardrums is bad for you!!

What a dumb article!!! This has indeed been going on since the walkman.

And as for the bit about if it's too loud to hear people talking it's bad for you??

I only use the thing so I don't HAVE to listen to people's constant prattle!!!! (on public transport etc)

The volume restricter came off my ipod mini after about 12 hours and now kicks out at a jolly old rate.

If I'm going to have a personal stereo, it's gonna be loud enough to do justice to my kind of music.

Either that or I won't bother at all.

and "they" deny the Dumbing Down of the "media" (or Propaganda Dept) :mad:

NicP
Aug 18, 2005, 05:08 AM
and in other news staring at the sun damages your eyes

thecow
Aug 18, 2005, 09:54 AM
The comment in the article about how you should be able to hear other people talking while using headphones is one of the stupidest things I have heard in a while. Whether or not you can hear a conversation with headphones depends on the design of the headphones just as much as the volume. You can have closed headphones that make a really good seal with your ear and not be able to hear other things, even at a reasonable listening level. If you have loose fitting open headphones, like the grados that i have, you can still hear people while doing some serious damage to your ears. It seams like whoever wrote this just needed space to fill and wrote some obvious stuff about how loud noise will hurt your ears.

mwpeters8182
Aug 18, 2005, 10:29 AM

This is true, although the in ear canal headphones block out outside noise, requiring the music to be turned to a lower level. Therefore, the volume using these is actually lower in the ear.

MP

mikebatho
Aug 18, 2005, 05:27 PM
And when you go to a rock gig, you should always wrap a scarf around your head to muffle the noise.....

And never run with scissors....... :p

pianojoe
Aug 18, 2005, 08:20 PM
but isn't the damage to the ear hears/drum etc. based purely on the volume of noise at that point.

With earbuds the air pressure can't leave the tunnel, and gets amplified because the tube gets narrower. With headphones the soundwaves are distracted by your skin, by the ear itself—not all of them reach the eardrum.