Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caveman_uk

Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Hi there. My 65W powerbook ac adapter has died and Apple are sending me a new one. I do have a 45W ibook charger that I could use in the meantime but I'm reluctant to do so.

Am I right to be nervous or should I be OK to use the other adapter until the new one arrives in order to make the remaining battery charge last longer?

Applespider

macrumors G4
You should be fine but bear in mind that if you're doing anything intensive, you may end up using up the battery even if it's plugged in and charging since it may not provide enough juice to meet your needs. For general use though, it should be fine. I've used my mother's iBook charger on occasion without any obvious effects to my Powerbook.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It should be fine, although if the iBook transformer is at a lower voltage than the transformer you're getting replaced, your PB will take longer to charge. Not sure of the effect on the battery, but it should be fine I say. :)

And Applespider is right when she says that you may end up draining your battery anyway if the power consumption rate of the PB is higher than the rate at which your battery is charging up.

Of course, this is pure guessing. However, if you have ever travelled and had to (for one reason or another) charge your iPod through the "Electric Razor" power outlet at hotels and hostels, you'll notice how long it takes to charge an iPod fully, all due to it's low voltage output.

caveman_uk

Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Abstract said:
And Applespider is right when she says that you may end up draining your battery anyway if the power consumption rate of the PB is higher than the rate at which your battery is charging up.
I figured that might be the case but (for example) 4 hours of battery life looks a lot more attractive than the two I'm looking at right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.