Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atzbacher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
On the verge or ordering an iBook from apple.com, I still can't figure out if I should buy AppleCare or not. It's roughly 0.23$ a day - Not a bad price! - But altogether - 249$... Oh, it hurts.

Did you find AppleCare a useful insurance? How relevant it is for an overseas (out of US) user? Thanks for your help.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
You still have the full one year from the purchase date to decide if you want to get AppleCare. Do what a lot of people do; get your 'book, wait a few months (or however long within that first year time frame) and then decide if it is worth it to you.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
I find AppleCare to be *entirely* worth it. It's saved my hide a number of times. devilot76's suggestion is a good one, though. No need to spring for it right away; you can take as much of the one-year period as you like to make up your mind. Just don't forget about it! :D

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Get the Apple Care. Apple Care is a must for portables as they are much more likely to break and not just because they tend to get carried around. Hardware wise there are more things that can go wrong. Also when notebooks break they are more expensive not to mention more difficult to fix than a desktop.

However Adding Apple Care to a machine like an emac or mac mini can be very questionable. Apple Care also makes it much easier to sell your machine if you decide to sell a couple of years from now.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I consider AppleCare to be very important. The Apple phone support is only good for 90 days. With AppleCare then you will receive a full three years of phone support. AppleCare has paid for itself on my wife's PowerBook.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
atzbacher said:
On the verge or ordering an iBook from apple.com, I still can't figure out if I should buy AppleCare or not. It's roughly 0.23$ a day - Not a bad price! - But altogether - 249$... Oh, it hurts.

Did you find AppleCare a useful insurance? How relevant it is for an overseas (out of US) user? Thanks for your help.

you can get it for $180 with your student discount if your gettin an ibook....click here -->>http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...pi7MT/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.5.19.0.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.1

p.s my 1 year ends this december and im DEFINATELY getting it, ive had my ibook serviced twice already, which would of cost me $700 !!! if i didnt have warranty left....

sheaitisnotso

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Or you can bid on ones from ebay. I got mine for about $127 total with shipping and i'm all registered and set with my apple care for my brand new iBook.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
I totally think you should invest in the AppleCare. But as Devilot said, you do have a year to decide. So, if you're having a hard time with the decision, wait and continue to think about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.