Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
This stealth bomber is what made the confrence amazing. The iPod touch has a completely new design color, processor, screen (same as iP5), design, everything that the iPhone has (except the 4g, phone stuff). I am currently going to sell my iP4s and buy maybe an android for once, and get the best of both worlds!

rjbruce

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
St. Louis, MO
No phone is a deal breaker. Also the processor is not the same, nor the camera. The iPod looks pretty sweet, but given the iPhone is the same price on contract and has more packed in, that's what I ordered.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple made a brilliant move with the touch this go around. This truly is the beginning of the end of the simple point and shoot camera.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
No phone is a deal breaker. Also the processor is not the same, nor the camera. The iPod looks pretty sweet, but given the iPhone is the same price on contract and has more packed in, that's what I ordered.

Yes but, If you want an iPhone get an iPhone, if you want an iPod get an iPod. But the worst mistake of anyone to make is buy both.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I'm seriously considering one for app development on the new screen size. I would like an iPhone 5, but my 4 is still going strong, and doesn't get as much use since I got an iPad.

It is a pity the black model is the only one available with a black faceplate. I think the white surround takes too much away from the contrast on the screen. I would love the red one with a black faceplate.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
^ I hope samsung is paying you well...
Why does someone need to be paid in order for them to be a fan of something other than an Apple product? Mr. Retrofire may have engaged in a bit of hyperbole, but he is basically correct. The price and restrictive nature of the iPod Touch may not matter to a particular person, but there is some validity to those claims.

IMO, the iPod Touch was the real star of the show. A very significant improvement from the previous generation. I'm ready to jump in and upgrade my 64GB 4G iPod Touch but I need to see some serious hands-on reviews from actual customers before pulling the trigger.

One of the things that was invaluable to me with my current Touch is how quickly I can take the Touch out of my pocket, turn it on, and snap a photo. The Touch is far quicker in that regard than any other device I own. I was able to capture so many spontaneous shots on my trips because of the quickness. A higher res camera is meaningless if I end up missing the shot.

So little things like that mean a lot. Newer isn't always better. And Apple has stumbled in the past (ie. previous gen square Nano, and stick Shuffle) so I want to make sure that this next gen Touch is actually as good in practice as it sounds on paper.

cocell

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Los Angeles,CA
Bought mine at 12:15 strictly for app development, Tax-write off. :)
I would never put iOS beta on my personal phone. So iPod Touch it is.
My contract isn't up till December so I'll wait till then for the phone portion.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted

I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy one. 4S still under contract until next November, so the new Touch might satiate my desire for a bigger screen. I'm going to wait until I can handle one in the store and for reviews show up online. Thinking about storing more music and videos on the Touch so I can free up space on my phone.

ToothTooth

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Definitely buying one

I'm definitely buying the iPT5. Its a stellar upgrade from the iPT4. I'm one of those people who has no need or desire for a two year voice/data contract, so the iPT5 is exactly what I need. It does practically everything that the iPhone can do, but without the two year $2,500 voice/data contract that the iPhone requires.

In my case, I have access to wifi practically all the time so buying a voice/data plan is just wasteful and I simply can't justify the $2,500 it would cost over two years. In addition, I don't talk much on the phone when I'm away from home or the office.

On the rare occasion that I do need to make a phone call when I'm away from home or the office, I have configured a VoIP SIP application (Acrobits [$6.99], Bria [$7.99], 3CX [free], or Media5fone [free]) on the iPT so that its linked to my home VoIP service. Basically, I can use the iPT to place outbound phone calls (originating from my home phone number) from anywhere there is wifi. I can also answer all inbound calls to my home phone number on the iPT.

This powerful pocket computer is hardly a kid's toy.

GrandpaSmith

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
For portability, economy, versatility and sheer elegance, I can't think of a better device than the new iPod Touch.

Sure a new iPhone 5 would be nice, but it's not essential for me, so why pay $80/month for mobile phone service when $80/yr gives me 2,000 minutes of Verizon service on a decent Palm Pixie Plus (about $45 from Amazon) through Kittie Wireless? Sure it means carrying an extra device, but the Palm only weighs about 50 grams.

Did I mention I was a cheapskate and that I detest the major carrier duopoly? So, at home I use Ooma VOIP landline connection which costs $3.50 per month. For computer: MacBookAir 11" and iPad.

There are some great apps for the iPad which look and feel just right on the bigger screen, and though I love camera and video on the iPad3, it is just too bulky to haul around primarily for camera use. For this purpose--a great camera that's always in my pocket--the Touch should shine. But I may wait to check out the new iPad mini before I order.

I'm not getting rid of my Lumix digital cameras just yet. These are great for long distance zoom and low light performance but they are not as pocketable as the Touch. The Touch may not be perfect in every respect, but it probably has the best and most versatile functionality of any digital device I have ever seen at a price that is quite reasonable considering all that it does.

The only thing missing is GPS. For that I may have to wait until Kindle Paperwhite gets a GPS chip or Garmin licenses Amazon's technology.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
For me, an iPhone would be a waste of money. My cell phone usage is limited - about 600 minutes a year. (A $100 prepaid card provides more minutes than I'll ever use in a year.)

I have a 3rd generation iPod touch. I tend to upgrade electronics every other release, so I was planning to buy the latest version. In fact, I've got a pretty pink 64GB in my Apple store cart right now. I'm having second thoughts for one reason - the new "lightning" connector. It really bugs me to spend $399 on an iPod & then have to shell out another $29 for the adapter. The change is a big deal - I've got my share of speakers. Apple not including an adapter with a $399 device -- that ticks me off.

rjbruce

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
St. Louis, MO
For me, an iPhone would be a waste of money. My cell phone usage is limited - about 600 minutes a year. (A $100 prepaid card provides more minutes than I'll ever use in a year.)

I have a 3rd generation iPod touch. I tend to upgrade electronics every other release, so I was planning to buy the latest version. In fact, I've got a pretty pink 64GB in my Apple store cart right now. I'm having second thoughts for one reason - the new "lightning" connector. It really bugs me to spend $399 on an iPod & then have to shell out another $29 for the adapter. The change is a big deal - I've got my share of speakers. Apple not including an adapter with a $399 device -- that ticks me off.

+1. I understand why it needed to change, and when the rumors were $10 for an adapter that was one thing, but at $30 that means one in each car is $60 instead of $20.

The old iPhone may need to be a dedicated music player for a bit until I get over the heartburn of the adapter.

Definitely.

I have no need for an iPhone - I don't see the point of spending so much money when the iPod - especially this generation - is such an awesome little pocket computer. I currently use the 4th gen iPod which is great, but the specs on the 5th gen makes my mouth water - same display as iPhone 5, improved processor, much faster wi-fi, AirPlay mirroring (gonna dig out my Raspberry Pi), Siri, Bluetooth 4, seriously improved camera (keeping my Lumix L10 DSLR for proper photography), 1080p video recording, even The Loop has potential for some good accessories.

Not just that but new design is great, with a back that won't get scratched up to buggery.

With this thing I don't think I'll need to upgrade for two or three years; I'll keep my old Sony Erriccson W300i until it dies completely then I'll find a cheap replacement on eBay.

Can't wait for Amazon to start listing it, they always sell it for up to £30 quid cheaper.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
+1. I understand why it needed to change, and when the rumors were $10 for an adapter that was one thing, but at $30 that means one in each car is $60 instead of $20.

You have 2 cars but can't afford $60 in cables? :p

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm debating selling my 4S dropping down to a messaging phone with no Data plan and carrying around the iPod Touch for most of my uses. The only thing holding me back a bit is the A5 processor and the lower res camera.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This stealth bomber is what made the confrence amazing. The iPod touch has a completely new design color, processor, screen (same as iP5), design, everything that the iPhone has (except the 4g, phone stuff). I am currently going to sell my iP4s and buy maybe an android for once, and get the best of both worlds!

I'm excited with the way the iPod Touch is going.
When my current iPhone (4S) dies or gets too old, I'll probably switch to a touch + cheap pre-paid dumb phone.
Except for actual talk, I basically use my phone like an iPod Touch anyway... the only real use my expensive data contract gets me the ability to answer work emails 24-hrs a day... and I can live without that!

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
Well, I ended up buying the new iPod touch - 64GB, pink. It's a nice jump from the 3'rd generation. :)

I'm unhappy that Apple didn't include the adapter. At least I got an discount via my employer's EPP program that saved $26 on the total cost.

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

You do realise that the price "up front" you pay for the iPhone is only a part of the total cost of the phone?! :rolleyes: The contract is never in your favour, it favours the telecoms company, but that is beside the point - the point I am making is that with the iPod Touch, you pay up front but there are no additional payments, something you cannot claim with the iPhone.

For the average user without any cellular requirements, the iPod Touch is the much better deal, regardless the difference in other (niggly) features.

I'm getting one after I see how much RAM is in the new design.

Really? Why? If they reported an amount that made you happy and yet it performed slowly, would you still be happy? Why focus on those sorts of details? I'm a techie myself, but I don't see why people focus on specs that aren't necessarily correlative to the user experience. Focus on the benefits, not the features. If you require speedy access, app loading, etc., then that's what they must provide - but it's up to them how they deliver it. What do you care how they deliver it, as long as they deliver it?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.