Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Saying that Apple is suing Samsung over rectangles with rounded corners is a simplification, but it certainly defines the most prominent aspects of their claims of infringement. I came up with an experiment to determine whether Apple should have an exclusive claim to this shape. A rule for the construction of this shape is that it cannot have much added to it beyond what I specify in my instructions for its construction.

1. Create a rectangular prism with the dimensions 80x40x5.
  2. With a 90º circular arc of radius 2, cut off the corners of the largest facet by aligning the arc's endpoints with the edges and have the convex side point to each corners' respective vertex.
  3. Create a rectangle with the dimensions 60x36 centered on the surface of one of the largest facets.

Here is what the shape should look when finished.
Construct_1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
An effective argument for what??

Studying geometry.

----------

Saying that Apple is suing Samsung over rectangles with rounded corners is a simplification, but it certainly defines the most prominent aspects of their claims of infringement.

It defines one aspect. Trade-dress infringement claims are based on combined aspects. That is, A and B and C, not just A or B or C, or any one of them in isolation.

Your statement is an over-simplification. It over-simplifies to the point of being inaccurate, and irrelevant to the actual claims and suit, IMNSHO.

Melab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Studying geometry.

----------

It defines one aspect. Trade-dress infringement claims are based on combined aspects. That is, A and B and C, not just A or B or C, or any one of them in isolation.

Your statement is an over-simplification. It over-simplifies to the point of being inaccurate, and irrelevant to the actual claims and suit, IMNSHO.

And I maintain that the particular combination of elements that Samsung has been found to infringe on should not be exclusive to anyone at all in the first place.

It might be better for me to say that the inclusion of some features are inappropriate grounds on which a device's design warrants exclusive rights.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I do not think you can say that there is a possible effective argument in terms of a shape. Apple did not coin the rectangle.

Melab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I do not think you can say that there is a possible effective argument in terms of a shape. Apple did not coin the rectangle.

Are you saying that this is an ineffective argument against Apple's exclusive rights?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
  1. Create a rectangular prism with the dimensions 80x40x5.
  2. With a 90º circular arc of radius 2, cut off the corners of the largest facet by aligning the arc's endpoints with the edges and have the convex side point to each corners' respective vertex.
  3. Create a rectangle with the dimensions 60x36 centered on the surface of one of the largest facets.

Daf**k did I just read?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
And I maintain that the particular combination of elements that Samsung has been found to infringe on should not be exclusive to anyone at all in the first place.

It might be better for me to say that the inclusion of some features are inappropriate grounds on which a device's design warrants exclusive rights.

Try writing the "mathematical sentences" for the Coca-Cola "swirl", or the Nike "swoosh", or the Adidas "three bands". Does the fact that you can write such sentences mean that the resulting shape can't be trademarked or receive a design patent, especially in combination with other elements, such as colors, words, or a field of use?

There are any number of other corporate logos, designs, etc. which can have such sentences written for them. Even something as simple as the letter T in a particular color (magenta) can be construed as a trademark design (e.g. T-mobile).

I don't see any particular relevance for a "mathematical sentence", so I'd have to say no, being able to write mathematical sentences for a shape is not an effective argument. If the argument is somehow about the simplicity or complexity of such sentences, I'd like to know where you'd draw the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swoosh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_stripes

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The main reason I think it's not an effective argument is that it isn't an argument in any way, shape or form. It's a set of instructions to make an iPhone shape. It's made no point one way or the other.

Melab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
The main reason I think it's not an effective argument is that it isn't an argument in any way, shape or form. It's a set of instructions to make an iPhone shape. It's made no point one way or the other.

I said it was an experiment. The number of instructions is evidence for the argument that the most superficial aspects of the iPhone should not be owned exclusively by anyone.

Melab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Does anyone else want to comment? I created this thread because I wanted to express my reasoning and see if anyone shares my perspective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.