Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSigz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I'm very excited about the turn by turn features in iOS6. I am kind of hesitant to use it.

I have the 200MB Data plan (it's the perfect amount for me with being on Wifi at home and at work), and am wondering if using the turn by turn is going to really USE up that data.

Anybody have any hard evidence of data usage with turn by turn? Thanks.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I'm very excited about the turn by turn features in iOS6. I am kind of hesitant to use it.

I have the 200MB Data plan (it's the perfect amount for me with being on Wifi at home and at work), and am wondering if using the turn by turn is going to really USE up that data.

Anybody have any hard evidence of data usage with turn by turn? Thanks.

That's a good question and I was wondering the same thing. But I don't think it will matter for me because the iPhone 4 doesn't support it. But Would be nice to know so when I up grade my phone in January I will not have to worry.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
Not speaking from personal experience..yet..

But I read that it basically just caches the maps and gives you directions from what it cached.

There are many threads about it with many different opinion on it. And so far from what I've read, one guy who had 200MB reached his quota with small use..

BSigz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Not speaking from personal experience..yet..

But I read that it basically just caches the maps and gives you directions from what it cached.

There are many threads about it with many different opinion on it. And so far from what I've read, one guy who had 200MB reached his quota with small use..

Uh oh, that doesn't sound very promising.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I was using flyover for about 20 minutes and it used 85MB in map data. I couldn't understand why my phone was heating up so quickly, then I checked my data usage app and it had used that much in such a small amount of time.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Spent about an hour using turn by turn yesterday with a 5 mile radius of home and was surprised to find that barely any data was used yesterday.

Thanks to vectors and the fact that no satellite imagery are used within turn by turn, it eliminates the need to refresh the maps for resized labels (like what happens when you try to zoom in Google standard maps without data). I guess the only time it needs to refresh is when it runs out of RAM.

Another good way is to run turn by turn when iPhone is locked. It will turn on during announcements and approaching a turn.

Edit: My 20min 6 mile commute this morning used up about 150KB. Which could have been just traffic. I'll update on how well it works during my 8hr road trip to Canada on Monday.

Last edited:

scottytwo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
directions uses minimal data once its cached. Flyover is rather intensive due to data required for the rendering.

normal maps sans flyover should be comparable or lesser than google maps native app

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
hey guys, since you has ios6 already can you test something that really concerns me, especially since even the new i5 STILL doesnt do voice and data at the same time on Verizon

If I am driving and make a wrong turn or miss a turn and am on a call at the same time, Can the maps re-route me or does it need the data connection to do so which is inactive because I am talking on the phone? I know on the TomTom app it will still re-route because the maps are loaded to the phone and it uses the gps to re-route so I never worry about it

thank you for any info you have or can test if you're a Verizon user

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Can the maps re-route me or does it need the data connection to do so which is inactive because I am talking on the phone?

thank you for any info you have or can test if you're a Verizon user
Nope it can't. Although I'm AT&T, I just tried going a different route than planned after turning off cellular data. It would just say on the screen "Rerouting, data connection required. Proceed to route" and the distance from the planned route.

Last edited:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
hey guys, since you has ios6 already can you test something that really concerns me, especially since even the new i5 STILL doesnt do voice and data at the same time on Verizon

Still? I think you mean never. It's an inherent limitation of CDMA (which Verizon and Sprint use) that doesn't affect GSM (which AT&T and T-Mobile use). CDMA phones can't do 3G data and voice at the same time. Since the iPhone 5 (i5 is an Intel processor, slightly confusing) also does LTE, and LTE is separate from CDMA, it may be possible for LTE and voice to go at the same time, I don't know. But 3G and voice will NEVER happen at the same time on a CDMA phone.

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
thanks for the info guys,

Still? I think you mean never

nope, I meant still, This should be possible by now being that Apple finally added LTE, the Thunderbolt, GS3 and other LTE phones on Verizon can do voice and data at the same time with WiFi off, this is something Apple decided to limit in the i5, see below from a Macrumors article

According to The New York Times, it was Apple's choice to prevent Sprint and Verizon phones from using both LTE data and voice on simultaneously. Because the LTE network only supports data and not voice, Apple would have to add a third antenna to the iPhone 5 to allow both LTE data and CDMA voice together.

An Apple spokeswoman told The Times, "It is not yet possible to do simultaneous voice and data on networks that use CDMA for voice and LTE for data in a single radio design."

From the Times:
So why does Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S III, a 4G LTE phone, juggle calls and data? Samsung added an extra antenna so that it pulls data from the 4G LTE network at the same time that it’s using another antenna to do voice, said Anand Shimpi, editor in chief of AnandTech.

Then why didn’t Apple add another antenna? It actually already has two antennas in an effort to improve reception, and it would have had to add a third antenna just for Verizon and Sprint phones to give them simultaneous data and calls, Mr. Shimpi explained. Leaving that third antenna out allows Apple to simplify its manufacturing process of the iPhone for multiple carriers. Plus, in the next two years the 4G LTE network is supposed to evolve to support voice calls, which would render another antenna unnecessary later.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Spent about an hour using turn by turn yesterday with a 5 mile radius of home and was surprised to find that barely any data was used yesterday.

Thanks to vectors and the fact that no satellite imagery are used within turn by turn, it eliminates the need to refresh the maps for resized labels (like what happens when you try to zoom in Google standard maps without data). I guess the only time it needs to refresh is when it runs out of RAM.

Another good way is to run turn by turn when iPhone is locked. It will turn on during announcements and approaching a turn.

Edit: My 20min 6 mile commute this morning used up about 150KB. Which could have been just traffic. I'll update on how well it works during my 8hr road trip to Canada on Monday.

Wow 150KB? That's pretty impressive.

Paden

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
thanks for the info guys,

nope, I meant still, This should be possible by now being that Apple finally added LTE, the Thunderbolt, GS3 and other LTE phones on Verizon can do voice and data at the same time with WiFi off, this is something Apple decided to limit in the i5, see below from a Macrumors article

According to The New York Times, it was Apple's choice to prevent Sprint and Verizon phones from using both LTE data and voice on simultaneously. Because the LTE network only supports data and not voice, Apple would have to add a third antenna to the iPhone 5 to allow both LTE data and CDMA voice together.

An Apple spokeswoman told The Times, "It is not yet possible to do simultaneous voice and data on networks that use CDMA for voice and LTE for data in a single radio design."

From the Times:
So why does Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S III, a 4G LTE phone, juggle calls and data? Samsung added an extra antenna so that it pulls data from the 4G LTE network at the same time that it’s using another antenna to do voice, said Anand Shimpi, editor in chief of AnandTech.

Then why didn’t Apple add another antenna? It actually already has two antennas in an effort to improve reception, and it would have had to add a third antenna just for Verizon and Sprint phones to give them simultaneous data and calls, Mr. Shimpi explained. Leaving that third antenna out allows Apple to simplify its manufacturing process of the iPhone for multiple carriers. Plus, in the next two years the 4G LTE network is supposed to evolve to support voice calls, which would render another antenna unnecessary later.

I'm not sure why we're discussing what Verizon's version does, when the OP was merely asking about data usage.

If you don't understand how network technology works, might want to read some wikis or whatnot.

OP, I'd recommend giving it a shot and seeing, and if you use a lot one day, then upgrade data plans. I do understand wanting to save money.

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Turn-by-turn uses GPS only, basically. I have the cellular data iPad and I've pre-downloaded the route, started the turn-by-turn, and switched off cellular data with no ill effects.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012

That's encouraging as I intend to use my iPhone as my main navigation device, thank you.

Will we be getting turn by turn nav in the UK too does anyone know?

It is working in the UK, I'll be heading out in the car with it for the first time later this evening, but you can test of the start of the process now if you like.

It even integrates with Siri, so I can say something like, "give me directions to my Mum's house" and it will bring up navigation starting from your current location (providing you have already let Siri know which contact is your Mum and you have her address in contacts, naturally).

Whilst typing this post, I also decided to check whether another Siri integration would work by asking, "Give me directions to Manchester United" and it worked just fine. So, Siri will direct you to landmarks / businesses already featured on maps.

Last edited:

cdrider

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2012
Will the new turn-by-turn tell you of any traffic delays before setting off similar to Tomtom? It's handy to know of any delays so you can use local knowledge to choose a route.

If not, how does it handle delays and changes to traffic eg 20 miles into a 00 mile journey and there's a traffic jam 10 miles ahead?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
nope, I meant still, This should be possible by now being that Apple finally added LTE

I did say that... Did you not notice how I clearly stated that 3G data and voice would never happen at the same time, but that it should be possible with LTE, and I just didn't know if it was or not?

It actually already has two antennas in an effort to improve reception, and it would have had to add a third antenna just for Verizon and Sprint phones to give them simultaneous data and calls, Mr. Shimpi explained.

Apple wouldn't do this. The iPhone 5 is identical across all carriers (as far as hardware is concerned). So is the 4S. I don't see why Apple would start differentiating again. I agree that they should have just added the 3rd antenna and called it a day, though.

Thanks for the update. Informative.

fastblack

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
I did say that... Did you not notice how I clearly stated that 3G data and voice would never happen at the same time, but that it should be possible with LTE, and I just didn't know if it was or not?

Apple wouldn't do this. The iPhone 5 is identical across all carriers (as far as hardware is concerned). So is the 4S. I don't see why Apple would start differentiating again. I agree that they should have just added the 3rd antenna and called it a day, though.

Thanks for the update. Informative.

Voice and data is possible on CDMA. It's called SVDO, but apple chose not to support it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/...ous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
It is working in the UK, I'll be heading out in the car with it for the first time later this evening.

Okay, I can confirm that navigation works absolutely fine in the UK in terms of road labelling, journey times, suggested routes etc, however, I did have a problem which potentially is a fault with my phone rather than the navigation application.

I noticed that, unfortunately, there was a little lag in terms of where the phone said I was. It was fine when stationary, but as I began moving the lag went from somewhere between 15 feet up to perhaps 25 feet at speed.

This kind of lag isn't great as it would be enough for me to miss turns in an area with which I was unfamiliar.

My phone is still under warranty for another month or so. I'll keep an eye on it and if it turns out to be a problem with my phone, I'll pay a visit to Apple.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else on the forum has experienced lag issues so far.

Last edited:

almonde

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
I did

There are 3 hardware variants of the iPhone 5. I guess chip/LTE band support is not broad enough to have one like the 4S yet.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Make sure you have data roaming turned off before you go across the border. That could be a nasty bill.
Thanks! I turned it off while in line at the border.

The data usage for trip with traffic monitoring, Philadelphia to Ottawa, Canada (data off at border), was approximately 13MB (+/- 2MB). Even with data off at the border, navigation took me all the way.

Maps even had the cache of the Ottawa intact a day later for reference (since I had no data connection).

On the highway, Maps notified 10 miles, 2 miles, and a half mile prior to exit/turn.

Overall it was a great experience.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Best solution is to get an app like TomTom because it doesn't even require a data connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.