Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
How is the performance of iOS 6 GM version on the iPhone 4? I assume that the GM build is most likely the exact same build that everyone will receive next week.
Does it seem more smoother? Or does it lag? And does the battery life suffer in iOS 6 ?
Just curious. I hope to see some improvements though.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
It definitely seems smoother in iOS 6. I don't know if that's because I haven't put as much content back on it after I restored, but I've definitely noticed general speed improvements across the board. Even unlocking the phone seems a tad quicker.

As far as battery life goes, I've not been using it long enough to make a definite judgement on that.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The GM is the Gold Master. This is what's being loaded on every new phone shipping from China now.

It runs great on the iPhone 4, though some of the advanced features are not present.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I've had it a few days now and it's been snappier than iOS 5 ever was for me. I restored my phone and started from an icloud backup though so not sure what an update to the OS will do though.

Major General

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
Works great for me everything is faster

Battery life isn't all that great but that's probably because I haven't recalibrated my battery yet.

Nyk0n

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
i installed it as an update (through iTunes of course) and was the fastest install ever did both iPhone 4S and iPad 2 using one cable in less than 20min.

find MAPS amazingly smooth and fast now even over cellular and using Siri to get directions blew my mind it was so fluid and cool looking I almost took my eyes of the road to watch it....everything else seems faster and smooth and my Battery is not as good as Beta 4 but still easily getting a solid day out of it

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
From experience, both as a former iPhone 4 user and from sitting putting the GM on my wife's 4 just now, to get optimal UI performance from the 4 try these tips.

Icons per screen: 3 full rows, and two at most in the fourth row. A full home screen of apps will result in the 4 stuttering when returning to the home screen.

Folders: 8 apps at most, when used with the above, results in a smooth folder opening/closing animation. A full folder on a full home screen is just asking for a stuttering experience.

If you must use a full home screen, keep Folders to 4 apps per folder to ensure smooth opening/closing.

Just home hints from personal experience.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i installed it as an update (through iTunes of course) and was the fastest install ever did both iPhone 4S and iPad 2 using one cable in less than 20min.

find MAPS amazingly smooth and fast now even over cellular and using Siri to get directions blew my mind it was so fluid and cool looking I almost took my eyes of the road to watch it....everything else seems faster and smooth and my Battery is not as good as Beta 4 but still easily getting a solid day out of it

Cool and all but this thread is about the 4 with ios6, the the 4s...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.