Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Hi all.

27inch 2011 i7 iMac, I can be using Safari to browse Facebook, with iTunes and Steam running. After a random period the iMac slows to a crawl and basic functions ( right click etc ) become heavily lagged. The only fix is to close all open applications and logout and back in.

I am not seeing this issue in my Windows 7 Bootcamp so am wondering if it's a ML issue or perhaps a Safari 6 issue as I suspect, and also if anyone else has suffered this unusual bug.

Of course I have took the precaution of installing Firefox in the meantime, but it is too early to say if Safari is truly the cause.

At the time of the last lag spike, I was on the CultOfMac homepage.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
When this happens, open Activity Monitor and see if any particular process is using a large amount of CPU.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Thanks will do, each time it happens a quit of Safari resumes normal performance within a few minutes.

I am going to spend a day when I've time seeing if it could be one of the extensions causing the problem as I am 99% sure it's Safari 6 and does not seem to be a common problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.