PDA

View Full Version : To those unhappy with iOS 6, where can Apple realistically go with iOS 7?

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 12:17 PM
I know iOS 6 is only just being prepped for release to the public, but while I'm happy with the update there are a lot of people here who are not. With this in mind, what do you think we can look forward to with iOS 7 next year?

I'm not asking what peoples' wish lists are, I mean what do you think Apple can/will add to the OS over the coming twelve months, because rest assured they will be starting work on it soon enough at Cupertino HQ.

I think iOS has matured, Apple adding it's own Maps app (along with the end of the YouTube license) has seen Google all but eradicated from the platform outwith basic search. Given the nature of Apple's iOS updates, what do you guys think Apple could add?

I personally struggle to see what's next for iOS and the iPhone in general, because it looks like both the hardware and software have matured to such an extent (the 5 is a thinner, taller 4/4S with a different back panel design).

My next iPhone will be the 5S, due to contractual reasons with O2, but I was discussing with friends in work the other day what Apple could possibly do next and thought I'd stick a thread up here.

alexander25
Sep 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
99% of the people that are unhappy about the update couldn't even tell you what else they would want in iOS7.

Purant
Sep 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
99% of the people that are unhappy about the update couldn't even tell you what else they would want in iOS7.

Better multitasking, the current one is pretty bad.

More customization.

More options/customization on the notification center.

A native file manager.

Better playlist controls for the music app.

Better tabbed browsing for safari. Chrome seems to have managed to do it better.

A better way to manage your apps. The pages paradigm is cumbersome if you have a lot of apps. How about shortcuts that are on the first page that can take you directly to the 6th page for example).

These are from the top of my head, I'm sure if I actually spent time thinking about this I would come up with more.

There has also been a lot of other people posting ideas and suggestion on what they want on the new iOS, but you choose to ignore them I guess.

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 12:35 PM

More customization.

A native file manager.

Better tabbed browsing for safari. Chrome seems to have managed to do it better.

A better way to manage your apps. The pages paradigm is cumbersome if you have a lot of apps. How about shortcuts that are on the first page that can take you directly to the 6th page for example).

These are from the top of my head, I'm sure if I actually spent time thinking about this I would come up with more.

See, a couple of those are definite "wish list" functions.

Apple will not change it's stance on it's multi-tasking UI, which is vital to battery life. Some don't like it as it's not "true" multi-tasking, although I fail to see why you'd want apps running, 100%, all the time in the background pumping life out your battery as opposed to being in a suspended state. If they're in the background, you're not using them, "real" multi-tasking or otherwise. Why spend juice running something full pelt when you're not using it?

A file system, never going to happen.

I'd like to see more apps have the API opened up to them to use Notification Center for a small widget. Having only weather, stocks, and now the Facebook/Twitter sharing one is a little restricting.

Edit: there was NO need for your narky edit to add that final sentence (my original quote of you above doesn't show it). None whatsoever, talk about being pedantic.

Cavan2211
Sep 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
I'm not asking what peoples' wish lists are, I mean what do you think Apple can/will add to the OS over the coming twelve months.

Did you read his post?
It's not a wishlist, but what is realistic for Apple to add...

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Did you read his post?
It's not a wishlist, but what is realistic for Apple to add...

Why are you quoting a line from my opening post which posed the question?

And given the history of the manner Apple has updated iOS, both "true" multi-tasking and a file system are wish list functions.

I didn't ask what they could realistically add within the realms of specifications and hardware, I asked what Apple could realistically add given the manner in which they treat iOS and have updated it in the past.

Edit: I've got a feeling you are replying to the bloke above me, but have only quoted my line rather than quote him?

Purant
Sep 15, 2012, 12:44 PM
Edit: there was NO need for your narky edit to add that final sentence (my original quote of you above doesn't show it). None whatsoever, talk about being pedantic.

Agreed there was no need, but while your thread and post was legitimate alexander25's post added nothing and I got irritated. My last sentence was directed at him.

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 12:49 PM
Agreed there was no need, but while your thread and post was legitimate alexander25's post added nothing and I got irritated. My last sentence was directed at him.

Fair dues, appreciate the level headed response as opposed to a full scale argument. :D

As I said, I'd like to see Notification Center widgets get opened up to third party developers, but I just can't see what the next "big" thing is going to be. NFC is not big enough or important enough to be a selling point or "tentpole" feature.

We've now got LTE, albeit not here in the UK yet, the Maps app was the "big" thing with Flyover and turn-by-turn, FaceTime has gone HD, the camera now takes Panorama shots.

Going further back, Messages got revamped with iMessage, the camera records 1080p video ... just going through the features/stock apps and most have been redone or improved to a level they can't go much higher, if any.

Unless Apple decides to give us iCall, and make calls between iOS devices free like iMessage! *sarcasm*

Risco
Sep 15, 2012, 12:50 PM
I think live widgets is the main thing, along with a main screen that is not clutter with icons but movable objects.

Purant
Sep 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
Why are you quoting a line from my opening post which posed the question?

And given the history of the manner Apple has updated iOS, both "true" multi-tasking and a file system are wish list functions.

I didn't ask what they could realistically add within the realms of specifications and hardware, I asked what Apple could realistically add given the manner in which they treat iOS and have updated it in the past.

Edit: I've got a feeling you are replying to the bloke above me, but have only quoted my line rather than quote him?

Here is the problem with what you are asking: The dissatisfaction comes from the unwillingness of Apple to change/tweak certain things. Most feature requests stem from that. The "manner in which they treat iOS and have updated it in the past" is the problem, so finding feature requests that fit outside of that is kind of impossible. I guess from my list the only two that fit in are the music app improvements and Safari tabbed browsing.

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
I think live widgets is the main thing, along with a main screen that is not clutter with icons but movable objects.

I think the closest we'll see to live widgets on the home screen is live icons ... maybe.

----------

Here is the problem with what you are asking: The dissatisfaction comes from the unwillingness of Apple to change/tweak certain things. Most feature requests stem from that. The "manner in which they treat iOS and have updated it in the past" is the problem, so finding feature requests that fit outside of that is kind of impossible. I guess from my list the only two that fit in are the music app improvements and Safari tabbed browsing.

Safari tabbed browsing exists on the iPad, but yeah I see what you're saying, which is why I thought it'd be an interesting discussion.

I know a lot of people are unhappy with the lack of customisation, etc which is why wish lists are easy to rattle off. But if you look at iOS going forward from the manner in which Apple has updated iOS in the past, it's going to take a radicle change of mind by Forstall and co, or we're looking at pretty mundane changes going forward, simply because a) the platform has matured and grown so much and b) Apple are't ones for change.

If iOS was going to change drastically, it would have done so by now.

Zcott
Sep 15, 2012, 12:56 PM
10 says most people's responses can be reduced to 'android'.

jafingi
Sep 15, 2012, 12:57 PM
- notification center widgets API
- api's to quick-reply direct from notifications (e.g. when you click a message notification banner, you could tap it, and reply directly. Same UI as the quick post to Facebook in iOS 6).
- Remove individual notifications
- browser improvements
- Public transportation in Maps.
- offline dictation/Siri (maybe??)

Risco
Sep 15, 2012, 01:03 PM

You just lost 10.

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 01:04 PM

Yup, and to those people I say, "Farewell and enjoy your Android phone".

I will never move to Android, I just don't like the interface and I've tried friends' HTC's and Galaxy S2/3's. I'm not saying Android sucks, so chill Android fans, I'm just saying that I personally do not like the interface and enjoy using iOS.

I'm also far, far too heavily invested via purchases from the App Store and as a big fan of iOS gaming, Android simply doesn't compete with the top quality games on iOS.

However, not to turn this into an Android vs iOS fight (like almost every other thread), but you do find that in terms of features both platforms are near identical. It's the style and presentation which differ now, and the biggest request continually seems to be home screen widgets, although when I see an HTC with that giant clock/weather home screen widget my first response is, "Why"?

It's as pointless as asking Siri the weather or time in my opinion.

pear21
Sep 15, 2012, 01:10 PM
I feel nfc will be included and sme more features in the notification center and I doubt think they will have widgets but rethink ios 7 will start redesigning everything

BluePhoenixRa
Sep 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
I'm probably one of the few completely unhappy people.
And I most certainly don't want live widgets like Androids have.

But for the most part I agree with jafingi:
- Notification Center opened up for third party apps. (Though I can see why Apple might prefer not to do so, as some developers might take the chance to completely fill your notification center up. And Apple just wants to keep it simple and easy.)

- Remove individual notifications (Direct quote from jafingi. I don't always want them ALL to disappear, I want to keep one or two sometimes.)

- Some improvements could be done to the way Music app shuffles and there are ofcourse many ways to make the music app much easier and better to use, but I doubt they'll change that anytime soon.

Other than that..I like how it is now.

EDIT: Oh, and quick reply from home screen for certain apps would be a nice option sometimes. For like texts and etc. But it wouldn't really make much of a difference.

Badandy
Sep 15, 2012, 01:56 PM
Seems like a very strange thread to me. What could/should they add but not a wishlist? If you're asking what I want them to add within the confined of their UI, then:

-Bring back google maps. I haven't used apple's maps yet, but if the threads here are any indication, apple is several years behind google in this department.
-Live updating icons
-I want Siri to always be listening and come onto the screen with an action word such as "Siri". I really don't know how technologically feasible this is, but it would be cool.
-It should tell me I have notifications in the top bar so I know to enter notification center
-Something similar to Google Now. Basically, make the phone more personal and intelligent. Siri is quite good, but I'm sure those apple engineers can think of some amazing things like google did with Google Now. That app/service blows my mind. Apple understands people have their phone on them all the time and interact with it a lot, so I want it to be able to predict things and be more automated. Make it like an actual personal assistant, I shouldn't have to initiate the dialogue.

And also, Apple should quit making Siri updates part of the OS updates. Just update the damn software on the fly and publicize it. They're holding it back.

That being said, I preordered the iPhone 5. I went to Android with the Google Nexus a long time ago and absolutely hated the experience. Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days, but I don't know. The iPhone is the best phone for me.

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 02:13 PM
Seems like a very strange thread to me. What could/should they add but not a wishlist? If you're asking what I want them to add within the confined of their UI, then:

-Bring back google maps. I haven't used apple's maps yet, but if the threads here are any indication, apple is several years behind google in this department.
-Live updating icons
-I want Siri to always be listening and come onto the screen with an action word such as "Siri". I really don't know how technologically feasible this is, but it would be cool.
-It should tell me I have notifications in the top bar so I know to enter notification center
-Something similar to Google Now. Basically, make the phone more personal and intelligent. Siri is quite good, but I'm sure those apple engineers can think of some amazing things like google did with Google Now. That app/service blows my mind. Apple understands people have their phone on them all the time and interact with it a lot, so I want it to be able to predict things and be more automated. Make it like an actual personal assistant, I shouldn't have to initiate the dialogue.

And also, Apple should quit making Siri updates part of the OS updates. Just update the damn software on the fly and publicize it. They're holding it back.

That being said, I preordered the iPhone 5. I went to Android with the Google Nexus a long time ago and absolutely hated the experience. Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days, but I don't know. The iPhone is the best phone for me.

Unbelievable, there's no need to be so condescending and dismissive.

What should they add based in the reality that is Apple's management of iOS. We've seen how Apple work for six years now when it comes to iOS, and a wish list simply ends up with people listing things that will never come, which is not the point of the discussion. A file system, to use an example from a wish list, will never happen.

The discussion, and the thread itself, is not odd in the slightest. It's about what Apple can add to iOS given how they add features to iOS, or more the manner of it.

It's easy to rattle off a wish list, but that's not what the discussion is. A wish list just ends up being someone's idea of a wet dream and is ultimately features that will never happen. Sure, there's a thread idea there if you wish to go and start it, but it's not rocket science that this is a thread based in reality in terms of Apple's way of adding features to iOS, and more importantly the kind of features, as opposed to rattling off a list of wannabe ideas that Forstall and co would never even entertain the thought of, let alone implement.

bushido
Sep 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
a first page with live updating and easy to access control widgets. they could replace the current search page with those for all i care and they should open the api of the notifaction center for devs so they can add their small widgets. the notification looks pretty pathetic on the iPad so far. not even weather to display ... so much unused potential

quickreply for text would be another thing, and maybe show contacts pictures in list view within the contacts app? and please apple, dont tell me how many apps i can/cant put in one folder, this is the most annoying thing of all. i dont need 5 folders called "games" ...

idk maybe i'm just too spoilt from the awesome jailbreak tweaks lol but it would be nice to no longer rely on cydia to have those things at some point in the future.

bobbba
Sep 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
Difficult to say, with the OS being so mature I can't see much change. My suggestions:

Passbook expansion
Furthr iCloud utilisation (more streaming etc)
More unlock options
NFC support for the iPhone 5s

These will never happen:

Better multitasking, the current one is pretty bad. (Nothing wrong with imop)
More customization.
A native file manager

Badandy
Sep 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
Unbelievable, there's no need to be so condescending and dismissive.

Wait, what?

hot spare
Sep 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
Apple is synonymous to "boring" in terms of UI. The most rigid, the most dull and the most dated UI among all mobile OS. Until and unless they do a reboot like WP, not even considering iOS as an option.
Actually, there is no UI. It's just icons on home screen and apps. It's just a platform to run apps. I didn't like it in past, now I simply hate it after looking at awesome WP and redefined Android.

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
Wait, what?

It's not a "strange thread" and the reasons for not discussing a wish list was made clear in my previous reply. I enjoy a good discussion, but I don't know why people feel the need to open a reply with a snide remark.

Asking people not to submit a wish list, again, is down to the fact Apple will never implement the things in most peoples widely unrealistic and often Android based wish lists. This was meant to be a discussion about where iOS will go next in iOS 7 using the past updates to iOS, the manner of them, and the fact iOS has matured immensely.

That's why I said no wish lists.

----------

Apple is synonymous to "boring" in terms of UI. The most rigid, the most dull and the most dated UI among all mobile OS. Until and unless they do a reboot like WP, not even considering iOS as an option.
Actually, there is no UI. It's just icons on home screen and apps. It's just a platform to run apps. I didn't like it in past, now I simply hate it after looking at awesome WP and redefined Android.

I don't see iOS as boring. It's extremely user friendly, some may say too much so. However, it still amazes me when I see my friends three year old son pick up his iPod touch and begin swiping through pictures and pinching/zooming.

Android is nowhere near the level of iOS when it comes to user friendliness, but then again Android does seem to be more for tweakers, spec junkies, etc.

Badandy
Sep 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
It's not a "strange thread" and the reasons for not discussing a wish list was made clear in my previous reply. I enjoy a good discussion, but I don't know why people feel the need to open a reply with a snide remark.

I'm mostly wondering what mentality someone must have to be so easily offended at what was a perfectly non-threatening, non-aggressive remark. It wasn't snide and it wasn't condescending. I'm guessing other MR members wouldn't take my post the way you just did. I'm not trying to make this a super big issue, but how can people engage in meaningful dialogue if they are so easily aggrieved?

I tried to make my list something that Apple could/would realistically do rather than saying "I want a file manager".

ravenvii
Sep 15, 2012, 03:19 PM
Definitely a better multitasking UI (I said UI, not the API or how it works). Double-clicking the home button to bring up a row of icons -- which you can only see 4 at a time -- isn't cutting it.

And a better way for apps to communicate with each other. 'Work on a file in one app and open it in another' kind of stuff.

WeegieMac
Sep 15, 2012, 03:43 PM
I'm mostly wondering what mentality someone must have to be so easily offended at what was a perfectly non-threatening, non-aggressive remark. It wasn't snide and it wasn't condescending. I'm guessing other MR members wouldn't take my post the way you just did. I'm not trying to make this a super big issue, but how can people engage in meaningful dialogue if they are so easily aggrieved?

I tried to make my list something that Apple could/would realistically do rather than saying "I want a file manager".

Apologies for snapping, I'm often on the defensive on here due to the nature of previous discussions which often turned into off topic sniping. This place, unfortunately, isn't the most forgiving or patient of forums.

Ledgem
Sep 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
For what it's worth, I'm pretty content with the way that things are now. What could Apple do to make the experience better? Most of the developments that they could take on have less to do with iOS and the iPhone itself, and more to do with external services. Siri, for example, still has a ton of potential that hasn't been unlocked; aside from the obvious (app launching and other, more advanced, actions), what if Siri gains multi-system capabilities? Use your iPhone to tell Siri to perform an update on your iPad or to launch an application on your computer, for example. I think we're headed that way, but Apple will have to develop more on the back-end.

Siri aside, the craze around NFC would theoretically allow the iPhone to be used for much more, too. Passbook could take on a whole lot more usage with NFC. The iPhone could become a true "digital wallet."

But for iOS itself, what can be improved? I hear people clamoring for a UI overhaul or for the option to perform more customizations, but I don't necessarily view this as an improvement (in my subjective opinion). Add multi-touch gestures to the iPhone, similar to the iPad (assuming the iPhone can support it), but that's about it.

Interesting topic, though. I'm sure Apple has a bunch of ideas that they're working on, but thinking through these exercises shows me why I'd probably have little talent for product design :)

jaw04005
Sep 15, 2012, 07:32 PM
My iOS 7 wish list

- A completely redesigned home screen with live icons and dynamic content (I'm so sick of grid view)
- Dashboard Widgets
- Revamped multitasking that doesn't involve double clicking
- Biometric passwords
- Ability to stream movies and TV shows via the iTunes.app
- AirDrop
- Preview.app
- Keychain.app
- Photobooth videos
- Alex voice

And I want Siri to become more like knowledge navigator ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRH8eimU_20

And why the hell can't we get iTunes Extras at least on the Apple TV?

irDigital0l
Sep 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
Siri
-Translate
-Price Check
-Voice Memos

FaceTime
-Group Chat

Notes
-Add photos and attachments

Multitasking
-Mission Control (iPad)
-Multi-gestures (iPhone)

Notification Center
-New widgets/buttons

Other
-Live Weather and Clock icons
-Increased Folders count
-Updated backgrounds (more sleek)
-Updated banners (silver)
-Stocks app (iPad)

Ugg
Sep 15, 2012, 08:37 PM
OP, I disagree with you about a file system being on a 'wishlist'. iOS isn't just about the iPhone. The iPad is a much more capable content creator and manager than the iPhone is and I think Apple must deal with this if iOS is to continue its dominant position.

I do think that user customization has to be at the top of the list of iOS7. Apple is being way too anal about it for no good reason.

In general, I think the posts so far indicate that there are few faults to be found with iOS5 or even iOS6. Sure, Apple Maps in someways is a letdown from Google, but that will change over time.

As always, it's up to Apple to tell us what we need from iOS7!

Saladinos
Sep 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
The iPhone is all about the apps. Apple needs to come up with hardware improvements and frameworks that allow for new and better apps to improve iOS.

The biggest problem with iOS at the moment is that there isn't a way to share generic data between apps; apps are typically quite designed for single tasks, but there's no way to call in other apps to work on your document.

Here's an example: I want to use a drawing app to draw a picture inside of a Pages document. Right now I close pages, go to the drawing app, draw something, export to camera roll, close drawing app, open pages, import picture from camera roll. Then, if I want to make a change, I have to do it all over again, leaving behind old data in my camera roll.

It'd be great if those drawing apps could register themselves as image providers (for a format pages understands), so that I could tell pages to import a picture from, say, ArtStudio. Pages will create a canvas for the imported picture and send me in to ArtStudio to edit it. When I'm done, I can be returned straight to pages to continue working with my document.

Maybe this is a bit of a simple example, but it fits the general pattern of needing to take the thing you're currently working on and open that same instance of it up in another app. Without this, you're limited to creating on an iOS device to whatever a single app will support (there's a minor exception for stuff that can be shared via the camera roll, but that's a cumbersome workaround more than anything).

It's fine to have apps managing their own data, but often you really need to have more than one tool in your toolbox when trying to work on anything on iOS devices.

----------

OP, I disagree with you about a file system being on a 'wishlist'. iOS isn't just about the iPhone. The iPad is a much more capable content creator and manager than the iPhone is and I think Apple must deal with this if iOS is to continue its dominant position.

I do think that user customization has to be at the top of the list of iOS7. Apple is being way too anal about it for no good reason.

In general, I think the posts so far indicate that there are few faults to be found with iOS5 or even iOS6. Sure, Apple Maps in someways is a letdown from Google, but that will change over time.

As always, it's up to Apple to tell us what we need from iOS7!

Steve jobs made it clear at the icloud announcement that "we now consider our document strategy complete on iOS". That, in my mind, spelled it out: no finder.

In interviews, I remember him saying that the file system was the single hardest thing to teach new computer users, and that after they grasp that they're fairly confident with computers. It hit me as something I always noticed, too.

Apple wants to get rid of the file system. There won't be a finder in iOS. If they were thinking about doing one, they would have done it by now (it's iOS 6 already). People need to stop hoping Apple just didn't get around to it yet or something; it's purposefully absent.

fins831
Sep 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
Wishlist:

Notification Center Toggles for Wi/Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane Mode, etc

Bite SMS quick reply in some form or fashion, the current model is just incredibly inefficient

Added support to apps in Notification center.

New locking system instead of pass code. Give us an option, something that is simple yet hard to crack (Maybe biometric with Authentec, but I bet thats 2-3 yrs away)...not quite android lock, but something as simple in terms of simplicity by not removing your finger from the screen to unlock.

Open up iCloud to drag and drop like dropbox. Compete with google drive and allow cloud editing on Keynote and Pages on iOS devices.

iTunes Library subscription such compared to Spotify, with offline playlists.

Passbook - allowing sites such as slickdeals or coupons.com to click add to passbook so we don't have to e-mail or print coupons, just let it be seamless.

xnickitynickx
Sep 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
Really one thing I've wanted for a while is just an up swipe for multitask bar on the iPhone. Like notification center, but on the bottom.
I definitely don't want big widgets and crap flooding my home screen. I'll check stuff when I want to :)

WordMasterRice
Sep 15, 2012, 10:06 PM
I know iOS 6 is only just being prepped for release to the public, but while I'm happy with the update there are a lot of people here who are not. With this in mind, what do you think we can look forward to with iOS 7 next year?

I'm not asking what peoples' wish lists are, I mean what do you think Apple can/will add to the OS over the coming twelve months, because rest assured they will be starting work on it soon enough at Cupertino HQ.

I think iOS has matured, Apple adding it's own Maps app (along with the end of the YouTube license) has seen Google all but eradicated from the platform outwith basic search. Given the nature of Apple's iOS updates, what do you guys think Apple could add?

I personally struggle to see what's next for iOS and the iPhone in general, because it looks like both the hardware and software have matured to such an extent (the 5 is a thinner, taller 4/4S with a different back panel design).

My next iPhone will be the 5S, due to contractual reasons with O2, but I was discussing with friends in work the other day what Apple could possibly do next and thought I'd stick a thread up here.

I don't think anything, iOS 5 was the last update where they actually did larger OS tweaks. In iOS 6 the only updates that they did to the actual OS are facebook integration and some other very small things. Everything else was updates to apps (that should be updated via the AppStore not held until an OS update) or server side changes (Siri).

Abazigal
Sep 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
I am a bit on the fence about widgets and gimmicks like live wallpaper. When I take my phone out and unlock the screen, it is to launch some app for a certain purpose, I almost never have any time to admire my home screen.

I would like a more streamlined way of accessing some of the more common functions, like toggling wifi/bluetooth/airplane etc. Maybe a variant of the notifications bar which can be accessed by swiping up from the bottom of the screen?

I won't mind a swiping multitask gesture like on the ipad. Maybe a swipe of your thumb from the right of the screen to the left brings you to the next app?

Redjericho
Sep 15, 2012, 10:29 PM

More customization.

A native file manager.

There has also been a lot of other people posting ideas and suggestion on what they want on the new iOS, but you choose to ignore them I guess.

I sometimes forget vanilla iOS users lack these features. A jailbreak solves them all.
More Customization: (Not sure what you have in mind specifically) Springtomize can change essentially every visual aspect of ios. From the size of your app icons, to the tint of your screen, all the way to if you want seconds to display on your lockscreen clock.

Notification center functionality: SBsettings is what you need, from my current notification center I can control Bluetooth, airplane mode, cellular, wifi, location services, take simple notes, control brightness, kill background apps, and even reboot my device

Native File Manager: ifile can be used here, i'll link you to the description page because they explain it best http://moreinfo.thebigboss.org/moreinfo/depiction.php?file=ifileData

Playlist controls: I'm not a big music guy, and i'm not sure exactly what you mean by "better", i'm sure there is something out there for you.

Tabbed browsing: Still not sure what you mean by "better", but there is one hell of a lot of tweaks for safari. I personally prefer chrome (for which you can add downloading capability and other features) so I don't screw around with those tweaks either

Pages: Not sure if there is a tweak for this specifically, but you can make it so pages have the ability to scroll vertically(Springtomize), have no locked grid (put apps anywhere-tweak called "gridlock"), make it so folders have pages and use the full screen (tweak called "FolderEnhancer"), even customize the scrolling animation between pages (tweak called "Barrel")

And I almost forgot multitaking, for this you have a few options:

Tweak called "Backgrounder" gives you true unpaused backgrounding. It can be tough on RAM (which is why apple doesn't imlement it), but if you want apps to continue running as if they were active, but while in the background, this tweak does it.

Another option - tweak called "Quasar" This one is best explained via video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYWha8YFi8

It's actually very light on RAM (which you can monitor in real-time with SBsettings), but comes with a hefty price tag ($10)

Not saying jailbreaking having these features excuses apple from not having them, but you can't say that you don't have a choice when it comes to functionality of iOS.

sexiewasd
Sep 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
True multitasking.

You can argue all you want that it's not coming, but it will. It's far to useful of a feature to be ignored forever. These aren't phones, the phone is an app, on one of the iOS devices. They are multipurpose computing devices, musical instruments, security cameras, data loggers, network analysis tools, cookbooks, music players, flashlights, t.v. remotes, bluetooth keyboard/mice, VNC/FTP clients, you name it it does it. It's the sonic screwdriver of the real world, and more than a few of the possible tasks could benefit from being run in the background without a time limit. You can expect multitasking, probably with an alert asking for permission, and you can expect the api to grow in support for apps interacting with each other, similar to what audio copy/paste has already done for music apps.

Shaddow825
Sep 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
There needs to be app interaction like the contracts in windows phone 8

APlotdevice
Sep 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
A full file system may never happen, but only the geekiest users would desire this anyway. Most of us could make do with a very simple document manager. Basically something like the Photos app for other types of files.

As for multitasking... Well if it's such a big drain on battery, then how about features which are only enabled while your device is plugged in? In fact iOS 5 already has one example of this: automatic wireless syncing.

DavidEther
Sep 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
Being jailbroken on iOS 5 showed me a lot of tweaks that could seriously add to the user experience on iOS, and not just simple, flashy novelties:

Zephyr: Swiping up to exit and hold-swiping to bring up the task switcher just "feels" more comfortable than using the home button. Swiping back and forth between apps can be nice too, but I realize this can be tricky depending on what apps you use, so this can be left out.
SwipeSelection: Swiping back and forth on the keyboard to move the text cursor (shift key enabled also selects text). INFINITELY easier /quicker than trying to tap and hold using the magnifying glass.
BrowserChooser: Chrome's been a big hit for many. If OS X can allow default browsers, why not iOS? (I realize that's a rhetorical question, as it'd probably never be implemented. So you can disregard this one. Just saying it'd be nice.)
CleanStatus: Do I NEED to see what carrier I'm on at all times? Or a rotation lock icon? And I'm cool with just seeing battery percentage with no icon. iOS status bar can get clogged really quickly.
Status Bar Notification Icons: I know, I know. This directly contradicts my last point. But status bar space could be put to better use. Icons for new email, SMS, missed calls, etc. visible from the status bar at any time would be a nice addition.
NCSettings: Small widget for Notification Center to toggle common settings on and off. I adjust brightness and toggle wifi, data, etc. a lot. It'd be nice to not fumble through a maze of menus to do so.
NCQuickDismiss: Adds close button to notification banners. Swiping it away could even work too. Should have to wait or bring down Notification Center to do this.
LockInfo / IntelliscreenX: Viewing Notification Center as-is on lockscreen would be really nice. Future calendar dates, weather widget, etc. Not just certain things.
Move Spotlight to Notification Center: I know a lot of people don't use / like Spotlight on iOS for whatever reason, but I ALWAYS use it as an app launcher. I'm lazy; don't feel like fumbling through my pages & folders of apps most times. As opposed to leaving an app, and swiping all the way left, it'd be nice to access it quickly from anywhere via a Notification Center search widget. Don't need it? Just disable it in settings.
BiteSMS: Been covered already. But composing / replying to texts via popup window and going about your business is sweet and would be very much appreciated.

I could get into more but those are some pretty big ones to me, most of which I could realistically see being added to iOS that even the common user would appreciate.

scottytwo
Sep 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
They should make notification centre more interactive and allow messaging / email reply from the notification centre. This is a must.

Mission control type task switcher with gesture control on 4S and 5, to incorporate notification centre AND task switching with 'snapshots' of active task windows as tiles rather than app icons (you've seen the videos). This CAN be implement due to the nature of ios multitasking and the process snapshots it takes when task switching for zooming animations

offline / flight mode parsing for Siri commands (ahem voice control) in multiple languages for the likes of switching apps, making phone calls turning features like Bluetooth on or off. I still don't know why we don't have voice control as an offline option.

blacklist option on do no disturb
* to block / review/ automatically trash messages calls from specified numbers

multiple group options and multiple dnd time brackets.

this could all be implemented in 6.1

Reach9
Sep 16, 2012, 12:56 AM
Easy, look at all the popular and upcoming Android features, and just Apple-ize them for iOS 7 and voila!

scottytwo
Sep 16, 2012, 01:07 AM
basically, this :

http://www.redmondpie.com/new-ios-6-concept-features-mission-control-dynamic-badges-and-everything-else-we-want-apple-to-make-video/

canesalato
Sep 16, 2012, 01:53 AM
Make the new redesigned store faster. They are horribly slow right now
Get rid of some skeuomorphism...
Worst offender the stitching in notes (when in landscape), but the list is long:
-find my friends
-calendar
-game center
-podcast
-music app (iPad version).
About the music app, wouldn't be great if the make it more similar to the new iTunes for Mac? That's really elegant, while the iPad one is just ugly. I look forward to that

triplenick
Sep 16, 2012, 02:02 AM
Allow for the individual removal of notifications - I would like to remove one or two notifications from a certain application, but not all of them. The notification bar can often get clunky at times.

Better notifications - Sometimes, I forget that I have a notification. Instead of the banner appearing every couple of minutes or so, which sometimes slows my device entirely, have an option to change the status bar when I have a notification. These option can be customizable, as well as the color(s) used.

Widgets on the search screen - I always wondered what the screen on the left of the main home screen was for. Having an entire screen dedicated for application searching is a bit ridiculous when you have a dozen or so applications on one screen. Make that screen not only a search screen, but also a widget screen. Make APIs to allow third party developers to make widgets. This will open an entire new category in the App Store.

If the above idea is implemented, add the options to remove the weather and stock widgets and add a quick-toggle for WiFi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, etc. in the notification center. It's annoying to have to click through the settings to turn a feature on or off. I'm not a huge fan of widgets, but realistically, I could see myself using this feature to safe myself a few seconds.

Also, the video posted above offers nice ideas for iOS 7. I would like to see those ideas implemented too, but I would rather my ideas above to be implemented first.

roxxette
Sep 16, 2012, 02:24 AM
Most of the things i want are covered by previous post :) i will add these one: let me delete/disable stock apps !

Cavan2211
Sep 16, 2012, 03:27 AM
I just want contact pic before the name in the sms and phone app. Why is this not an option from the begining?! It's my main reason to jailbreak (see Copic).
And the ability to display the nickname for my favorites and caller id.

hackjo
Sep 16, 2012, 03:30 AM
Greetings all.

I used to have a HTC Desire before I switched to an iPhone 4S. I loved tweaking Android - downloading new launchers, changing icons, adding loads of widgets, sticking task managers on to kill off apps in the true multitasking environment etc. Android is immensely powerful and the level of customization possible is absolutely mindblowing. It also has tons of features.

But I was never satisfied. It felt like Windows - rough around the edges and requiring me to do lots of work to keep it running well. My main motivation for trying different app launchers was to improve the clunky standard interface. When new features were released, they often took some effort to get working properly, assuming that they did. Battery life was poor due to the live widgets and true multitasking. Multitasking apps would run in the background and knacker the performance and battery, requiring a task manager to kill them off.

In comparison, IOS is totally user friendly, stable, fast, consistent and full of great software. It matches perfectly to the hardware and new features are only introduced when they are seamlessly integrated to the rest of the OS and fully working.

Where it falls down is that there is little scope for customization and the basic look and feel has always remained the same. This is the trade-off for consistency. But I'd ask those who want it changed and think it is boring if they have ever looked at a car and thought "hmm... they're still using those damn circular discs and internal combustion engine. It's about time they changed it". Why change something that works?

As to where they go with IOS 7, it's hard to say. Technology is not moving so quickly at the moment and we are in the mature period for this OS and most of the associated products. Maybe they could change the look of the icons a bit? I certainly don't want widgets, I can't see the point when an app is one touch away and normally will provide more information than a widget anyway.

fabianjj
Sep 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
I am among those that felt a bit underwhelmed by ios 6, I can't think of much in particular to change that would make me more satisfied but there are 2 things that would improve usability a great deal:

1. Swipe up to access the multitasking area (talking about iPhones now) and some easy way get back to the home screen without needing to resort to the home button. I think the current way of trying to do any multitasking is very cumbersome. Having to switch between touch and button navigation is really not smooth, regardless of how intuitive and familiar the home button is.

2. Some sort of document sharing between apps. I'm not asking for a full file system, just a simple way of document management. Right now the most fluid situation is if both apps support Dropbox integration, then it is almost possible to work with.
I read an article a while back that someone linked to where the author pointed out that iOS already has this: but only for images. All it would take would be a general file respository that works like the camera roll, apps can open those files and save files there, those files can be added to emails etc. And since iOS already knows what file can be opened by what app, there doesnt need to be a lot of changes to accomplish this.

newagemac
Sep 16, 2012, 09:29 AM
Definitely a better multitasking UI (I said UI, not the API or how it works). Double-clicking the home button to bring up a row of icons -- which you can only see 4 at a time -- isn't cutting it.

And a better way for apps to communicate with each other. 'Work on a file in one app and open it in another' kind of stuff.

I love the multitasking UI in iOS. Just swipe with four fingers to get back to the previous app. No taps, clicks, or nothing else. Just a single swipe. Much faster and more intuitive than any other OS for that.

BurntReality
Sep 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
I am happy with iOS 6.
That being said, I would really like to have quick reply added.

Purant
Sep 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
Not saying jailbreaking having these features excuses apple from not having them, but you can't say that you don't have a choice when it comes to functionality of iOS.

Fair enough, but I'm waiting for the guarantee to expire on my iPhone and then I'll sure as hell jailbreak it. From what I've seen it's going to be amazing. But the thing is, Jailbreaking being so popular proves that a lot of people want more options. Maybe Apple could have a long hard look on the most popular jailbreak apps/features and decide to carefully implement some of them? (I think they did that with the notification center if I am not mistaken?).

Krevnik
Sep 16, 2012, 05:07 PM
Steve jobs made it clear at the icloud announcement that "we now consider our document strategy complete on iOS". That, in my mind, spelled it out: no finder.

In interviews, I remember him saying that the file system was the single hardest thing to teach new computer users, and that after they grasp that they're fairly confident with computers. It hit me as something I always noticed, too.

Apple wants to get rid of the file system. There won't be a finder in iOS. If they were thinking about doing one, they would have done it by now (it's iOS 6 already). People need to stop hoping Apple just didn't get around to it yet or something; it's purposefully absent.

A finder, maybe not. But the glaring hole is still some sort of file storage that is shared between apps. I'm mostly looking for a way that I can share a file between multiple apps without extra copies and having to juggle files between the apps when I make changes.

Jobs has said things where later they've done the opposite. "Nobody reads anymore" and "nobody wants to watch video on a tiny screen" are classic examples. What he says about Apple doing in the future are not gospel.

FranksWildYears
Sep 16, 2012, 05:11 PM
Stop removing options, give back the ones that were removed with iOS Pits, continue down the road of greater aesthetic consistency (as we're seeing with the redesigned stores and music player) add a few more widget options for the notification menu, and I'll be happy enough.

ixodes
Sep 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
There's nothing wrong with iOS6.

Moving ahead to iOS7 will be more refinement. Nothing else is needed.

Tom8
Sep 16, 2012, 05:20 PM
I, for one, am happy with iOS 6 at the minute, but there's a few things I'd like to see in iOS 7

Siri APIs: This could be incredible.
Allow devs to add Widget support for notification centre: think football scores ticker etc.
A way to quickly share files between iOS devices/iOS AirDrop: Think Photo Beam from iPhoto but over Bluetooth rather than WiFi

PlatinuM195
Sep 16, 2012, 05:58 PM
Give the OS a general makeover for consistency. At least a similar design language for the native apps. I also think they should change the texture of the notification pull-down so it's not the same texture as the multi-tasking bar and folders which feel like they're opening something behind the UI.

Possibly a better multi-tasking method. I don't mean the actual multi-tasking itself, I just mean change the multi-tasking bar so it's something more visual.

A new API for non-obtrusive live icons. Something like letting apps update their icon once every 10 minutes or less and a strict control of it on an OS level similar to have notifications are handled in settings now.

B777Forevar
Sep 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
REAL Multitasking in iOS7

iOS don't have crap against Android & WebOS when it comes to multitasking

Matthew Yohe
Sep 16, 2012, 06:06 PM

I'd love for you to explain what "Real" multitasking would do for us.

WeegieMac
Sep 16, 2012, 06:07 PM

Again I ask why?

Why have apps actually running rather than suspended, eating battery, when you can only see one app on screen at any one time. It's a phone, not a desktop computer, and I don't see any Android phones that split the screen in two and run two apps simultaneously.

APlotdevice
Sep 16, 2012, 06:52 PM
Again I ask why?

Why have apps actually running rather than suspended, eating battery, when you can only see one app on screen at any one time. It's a phone, not a desktop computer, and I don't see any Android phones that split the screen in two and run two apps simultaneously.

IM clients, third party alarms, and media streams are all examples of apps which don't have to be seen to work. Sure these all exist in the app store, but having to operate around the current mulititasking restrictions means that they don't work nearly as well as they could. The former must rely on push notifications, which aren't always reliable and limit what can be outputted (new multitasking APIs would help). The latter rely on the ten-minute task completion, which means you have to frequently reopen the app for it to continue to work (IMO this time-out should be extended while the device is plugged in).

Actually Samsung's latest devices can split the screen between a video and app.

ErikGrim
Sep 16, 2012, 07:02 PM
[media streams] rely on the ten-minute task completion, which means you have to frequently reopen the app for it to continue to work (IMO this time-out should be extended while the device is plugged in).Wot? I have no problem with background streaming at all. How are they reliant on background task completion and not the background Audio API?

macness
Sep 16, 2012, 07:04 PM
I love the multitasking UI in iOS. Just swipe with four fingers to get back to the previous app. No taps, clicks, or nothing else. Just a single swipe. Much faster and more intuitive than any other OS for that.

Is that 4 finger swipe only in ios 5?

APlotdevice
Sep 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
Wot? I have no problem with background streaming at all. How are they reliant on background task completion and not the background Audio API?

I mean apps which stream your media library from your iOS device to a DLNA reciever such as the PS3.

newagemac
Sep 16, 2012, 07:35 PM
Is that 4 finger swipe only in ios 5?

The iOS four finger swipe is available in iOS 5 as well as iOS 6. It's disabled on the iPhone though because obviously you can't comfortably swipe with 4 fingers on a smartphone. But yes iOS 6 has four finger swipe back and forth for multitasking. I do it on my iPad all the time. Best multitasking UI available on any mobile OS.

uhaas
Sep 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
I often "text my wife" in Siri, but when she replies, all I see is the message I sent. I'd like Siri to be able to have a conversation. When it was introduced, I heard Jobs say it would remember what was said and adapt. If my wife replies, I'd like Siri to read it to me (and show it in the conversation flow) and ask if I want to reply. It should do the for the last text you sent, or any text you sent if Siri is still up.

I use Siri while driving all the time to keep my eyes on the road and my hands on the wheel. Otherwise, I quit texting.

Cyacene
Sep 16, 2012, 08:10 PM
Here's where I would like Apple to go.

1. App widgets in notification center - any app on your phone can be bundled with a widget. You can choose to display it or not, and it would be live updating of course. With the longer 4" screen now, there is a lot more room for something like this to happen.

2. Change the home button use - This ones not likely, but I would prefer to have the home button bring you to notification center, rather than the icon grid. Sliding left brings you to search still and sliding up brings you back to your icon grid. Pair this with idea number 1 and you have a pretty useful screen with TONS of info and usefulness.

3. SIRI - this ones a given, but how far they are willing to go will matter the most. Worst case they will just add more partners. Best case is to make SIRI more proactive about the things she already knows about me. Ie. She knows my location, my next appointment and how I should get there already. I would like her to interrupt me and say "you need to leave in 10 minuets if you are going to make it to that movie tonight. Would you like me to show you directions to the theater"?

Oh and......

iPhone 6 - Haptic feedback :-)

WeegieMac
Sep 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
IM clients, third party alarms, and media streams are all examples of apps which don't have to be seen to work. Sure these all exist in the app store, but having to operate around the current mulititasking restrictions means that they don't work nearly as well as they could. The former must rely on push notifications, which aren't always reliable and limit what can be outputted (new multitasking APIs would help). The latter rely on the ten-minute task completion, which means you have to frequently reopen the app for it to continue to work (IMO this time-out should be extended while the device is plugged in).

Actually Samsung's latest devices can split the screen between a video and app.

I've seen that, but its hardly a proper real world use of real multi tasking, and a few reviews mentioned that feature on the S3 and said the interface for it lacks any kind of presentation (a little window just plopped on there, no border, no interface, etc) and to be honest you either watch a video or not.

I don't put an episode of Breaking Bad on my TV but sit and browse the web or play a game on my iPad at the same time, for example. Like most things with Android, it's a feature for the sake for being able to say "I have that" regardless of its usefulness.

Redjericho
Sep 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
Fair enough, but I'm waiting for the guarantee to expire on my iPhone and then I'll sure as hell jailbreak it. From what I've seen it's going to be amazing. But the thing is, Jailbreaking being so popular proves that a lot of people want more options. Maybe Apple could have a long hard look on the most popular jailbreak apps/features and decide to carefully implement some of them? (I think they did that with the notification center if I am not mistaken?).

Yeah, they actually have taken a few popular jailbreak tweaks and implemented them into iOS. That whole "sync with iTunes via wifi" was available months prior to iOS 5.

The thing is though, there is a reason apple doesn't add some of the features. Ever hear of winterboard? It allows you to install user-made themes for your device that can change the appearence of basically everything, even app icons. But the downside of this is a clearly-noticeable impact on performance. Some people are fine with that as long as they can have an extra fancy theme, but I personally prefer a smooth device over a pretty one, and Apple is very strict on adding things that create lag.

I wouldn't mind jailbreaking and going through the effort of downloading (and even purchasing) some of these tweaks, but Apple takes extreme measures in preventing it (the iOS 5 jailbreak wasn't available for the iPad 2/4S for like 3 months).

bearda
Sep 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
I'm actually pretty happy with iOS 6, but there are a few more refinements I'd like to see in 7.

- Unified search and address bar in Safari. EVERYBODY does this already, and it's silly to waste space on a mobile browser.
- Landscape support on the home and lock screens.
- Unified Accounts settings. Facebook and Twitter should be integrated in with the Mail, Contacts, etc.

The one that that's a stretch:
- Siri API. I like being able to control my Nest thermostat and my Insteon lights from my phone, but being able to do it from the hands free kit in my car would be great. Even if it was a specific prefix to send a command to a third party app, this could be great ("Nest App Command, Set to 75 degrees", etc)

William7
Sep 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
I realistically see Apple adding nfc in the future. They want it to mature a little and get it into stores and the like before it goes in the iphone otherwise it adds little benefit to the phone. the features to nfc would then be added to the os probably as an update to passbook.

As for the rest i know that apple has been against widgets and i believe they will stay that way on the iphone for the forseeable future but i would say there is a good chance that the ipad gets widgets on the homescreen at some point. apple just has to find a way to keep them simple.

Saladinos
Sep 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
I don't think anything, iOS 5 was the last update where they actually did larger OS tweaks. In iOS 6 the only updates that they did to the actual OS are facebook integration and some other very small things. Everything else was updates to apps (that should be updated via the AppStore not held until an OS update) or server side changes (Siri).

Don't forget the new APIs!

UICollectionView is going to allow for some really significantly better apps. I wish I could use it now, but I'm going to wait to see how the roll-out goes before I do.

BoxerGT2.5
Sep 17, 2012, 09:18 PM
iOS5 had Siri, Notification Center, iCloud, airplay mirroring, ect. What's iOS6 claim to fame? Turn by Turn? Passbook? A feature apps have been doing for 2yrs (panorama)? That's a SVC pack to most OS's.

Drunken Master
Sep 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
- Remove individual notifications

Say what?

irDigital0l
Sep 17, 2012, 10:25 PM
Say what?

Delete individual notifications in NC

twisted-pixel
Sep 18, 2012, 05:37 AM
they need to pay a lot more attention to the JB community. Those are the things we *really* want

BiteSMS (a quick way to send a text or to reply to one without leaving the app you're in)

SBSettings (a quick way to change your important settings without having to go through several menus to get to it)

LockInfo (at a glance information for emails etc without having to do anything more than turn your phone on)

if only they would pay attention to the things that we really want instead of trying to dictate to what they think we want.

inselstudent
Sep 18, 2012, 05:44 AM
I'd love to see an Apple-esque SBSettings and the ability to use any printer wirelessly without the need of having your computer running or owning one of four printers.

Those are basically the only reasons I still jailbreak my device.

jafingi
Sep 18, 2012, 05:53 AM
...use any printer wirelessly without the need of having your computer running or owning one of four printers.

One of four printers? Eeerhm.. I bought a cheap HP printer (actually cheapest in the store), and it worked with my iPhone/iPad right out of the box.

Drunken Master
Sep 18, 2012, 06:00 AM
Delete individual notifications in NC

People use NC?

IronWaffle
Sep 18, 2012, 06:26 AM

Shishu
Sep 18, 2012, 06:29 AM
- Multi-user environment on iPad. Unlike iPhone, iPad is frequently used as "family" device where several people might be using same device.

- Guest account on iPad which can limit guest user to web browsing. Hopefully configurable what guest can / cannot do

- Ability to switch light notification for missed calls / sms waiting. I want to be able to see if I missed any calls by looking at a phone as opposed to having to pick it up & press button just to see if I missed any calls. This is something that Nokia could do 15 years ago

- SMS delivery notification. Again something that Nokia / Ericsson could do in 90-ies

Type4O
Sep 18, 2012, 06:55 AM
I haven't seen iOS6 yet, so I don't know if any of these are there, but these are minor things that should have been there for a while and I don't understand why they are not. They are enhancements they could add:

The ability, on the Now Playing screen, to select playlist(s) to add the song to. They added the editable playlist a couple of version ago, but why was that option not added. It's a pain to have to go to the playlist, click add, and then go find the song you are currently listening to.

Better linking of contacts and calendar items. You can invite contacts in calendar items, but why can you just associate, and then see those calendar item links in the contact. Also, link contacts to contacts to reminders. Remind me to call fred when I get in the office (location alert), and have a link to the contact there so I can just click it to call.

A better flash. The current one is awful and practically white washes the photos. I rarely use the flash.

Ability to hide apple built-in apps that you don't use. I don't use the clock, stock app, newstand, or game centre. Why do I have to have them on my phone?

Please please please, why haven't they consolidated apple IDs? I know this is not strictly an iOS thing, but hand in hand with the ability to stream video's you've purchased from iTunes, it shouldn't matter which store you bought them from. I bought them, let me download or stream them when I want, where I want, regardless of the store I bought them from.

WeegieMac
Sep 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
they need to pay a lot more attention to the JB community. Those are the things we *really* want

BiteSMS (a quick way to send a text or to reply to one without leaving the app you're in)

SBSettings (a quick way to change your important settings without having to go through several menus to get to it)

LockInfo (at a glance information for emails etc without having to do anything more than turn your phone on)

if only they would pay attention to the things that we really want instead of trying to dictate to what they think we want.

I find NC Settings to be a far better designed alternative to SB Settings, even with SB skinned.

CBJammin103
Sep 18, 2012, 10:58 AM

Design should get out of the way. Phones and computers are tools, not toys - they should make it easier and easier to do things, which is what iOS does. I would guess 95 times out of 100 a new user would have an easier time doing a random task on an iOS device than on an Android device. To be fair, an extreme power user might be able to ink a few fractions of a second out of an Android device from customizations, but even then I'd be skeptical.

Personally I want to see more robust webapp / "web clip" (homescreen web apps) support - more reliable HTML5 LocalStorage, state suspensions, etc.

Arid
Sep 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
Definitely not something on my immediate list but I imagine Apple will be adding its own search engine in due time. It will then be totally free from any Google influences! :)

Cyacene
Sep 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Definitely not something on my immediate list but I imagine Apple will be adding its own search engine in due time. It will then be totally free from any Google influences! :)

Yeah, instead of full blown search, if they could buy someone like Qwiki and have those types of results, I would be very happy.

"Siri, get me information on Dartmouth College and show the results on my TV"

:)

Richardgm
Sep 18, 2012, 11:43 AM
For now just give me SB Settings/ NC Toggles, and an icon in the status bar when there are unread notifications.

That's all I ask.

donrsd
Sep 18, 2012, 12:34 PM
iCloud digital copy movies can STREAM, not download, to my iPhone when I want to watch a movie.
iCloud save/share my videos also, not just photos.

Thats really all I care for. Everything else seems to work how it should, all the time :)

Furifo
Sep 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
Yup, and to those people I say, "Farewell and enjoy your Android phone".

I will never move to Android, I just don't like the interface and I've tried friends' HTC's and Galaxy S2/3's.

Only read the first page of posts but I agree with this. I've tried using a desire HD and a Galaxy Nexus and both times, I've moved back to iOS for two main reasons:

1) iOS apps. Better games + virtually no compatibility issues between the different iOS devices and iOS versions.

iOS 4 -> iOS 5 did not break any apps whereas ICS -> JB broke a few games and my main video player for a couple of days while devs worked on updating their apps.

2) iPhone fits snugly into my Apple ecosystem. For example, most of the time, I have a busy timetable and so I'm a heavy user of calendar and reminders. iCloud makes it so easy to sync those apps between my devices and it is something that I will DEFINITELY miss if I switch from the iPhone again.

As for what I think Apple will do with iOS 7:
- Live icons e.g. weather, clock

- Widgets. With the release of lion/ML we are seeing the bridge between iOS and Mac OS becoming stronger. I honestly think Apple will incorporate widgets into iOS 7 by adding a dashboard page - similar to OSX.

This video demonstrates it nicely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7eQEMsOQW4

Having a widget running in the background will drain battery but I think they may be able to get around the problem by having the widgets running on a separate page but in a suspended state - similar to how multitasking is dealt with. Swiping to the widgets page, if hardware at the time allows, will smoothly and seamlessly update all the widgets.

- Siri improvements + allowing app developers to take advantage of Siri for use within their own apps

- Opening up notification centre for devs to create their own toggles and banners etc

Stuff like having an open filesystem would be nice but I just don't see Apple ever doing it.

inselstudent
Sep 18, 2012, 01:08 PM
One of four printers? Eeerhm.. I bought a cheap HP printer (actually cheapest in the store), and it worked with my iPhone/iPad right out of the box.

Oh it does? It used to be 4 printers only, AFAIK. Well, it's stupid anyway that they don't just allow any printer to work. You see, I had a Brother printer before my iPad and I surely won't buy a new printer just because Apple supports but a few specific ones.

soulsteelgray
Sep 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
Oh it does? It used to be 4 printers only, AFAIK. Well, it's stupid anyway that they don't just allow any printer to work. You see, I had a Brother printer before my iPad and I surely won't buy a new printer just because Apple supports but a few specific ones.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1293865
http://netputing.com/airprintactivator/airprint-activator-v2-0/

Have fun!

matttye
Sep 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
- File manager
- Decent sharing API that apps can implement, not just Facebook, Twitter and other networks that Apple chooses
- Widgets, or at least shortcuts to settings, contacts, locations, etc. Apple already lets us add web clips, it doesn't make sense not to let us add shortcuts to other things on the home screen too
- Method of installing apps outside of the app store. No company should decide everything that can be installed on user's devices. That's just wrong IMO
- Ability to change default stock apps (e.g. the browser)
- Ability to remove default stock apps we don't use

1member1
Sep 18, 2012, 01:38 PM
Well I don't expect Apple to reinvent the phone again but there are some things I would like to have :

1.Better multitasking - This is probably the most important thing for me.
right now we cannot close all the applications together and even if it's not nesscary for me it is.
not to mention we have to scroll to the side with a small screen for the multi tasking.

The gestures on ipad are nice. what we need now is a multi tasking management UI.

2.Live Icons

3.more lockscreen options - I believe they can make the lockscreen much better and add some options to customize if you want.

This sounds like android features but they are not. I'm sure apple can make it feels different.
android didn't invent all of this stuff.

elistan
Sep 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
- File manager
Agreed. And make it iCloud integrated. I'd like to have, say, a spreadsheet on my Windows computer that I upload to my iCloud files, then can edit on my iPhone, iPad or iMac depending on where I'm at.
- Decent sharing API that apps can implement, not just Facebook, Twitter and other networks that Apple chooses
I'm neutral on this - I'm not very social. ;)
- Widgets, or at least shortcuts to settings, contacts, locations, etc. Apple already lets us add web clips, it doesn't make sense not to let us add shortcuts to other things on the home screen too
Yep, a widgets screen. My phone spends the majority of its time sitting in its dock, displaying the weather. I'd like to see date/time, stocks, a few other things prominently (ie, can be seen across the room) as well.
- Method of installing apps outside of the app store. No company should decide everything that can be installed on user's devices. That's just wrong IMO
As long as installed apps have to be digitally signed - ie, OS X Gatekeeper. I don't want any drive-by installs of mallware. (I don't see it ever being implemented, though. Apple likes having their cut.)
And change filetype associations.
Neutral.

I'd add profiles. Based on both location and time of day.

matttye
Sep 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
Agreed. And make it iCloud integrated. I'd like to have, say, a spreadsheet on my Windows computer that I upload to my iCloud files, then can edit on my iPhone, iPad or iMac depending on where I'm at.

I'm neutral on this - I'm not very social. ;)

Yep, a widgets screen. My phone spends the majority of its time sitting in its dock, displaying the weather. I'd like to see date/time, stocks, a few other things prominently (ie, can be seen across the room) as well.

As long as installed apps have to be digitally signed - ie, OS X Gatekeeper. I don't want any drive-by installs of mallware. (I don't see it ever being implemented, though. Apple likes having their cut.)

And change filetype associations.

Neutral.

I'd add profiles. Based on both location and time of day.

Sharing on Android allows you to share with apps like Evernote, Dropbox, Photobucket too, it's not just for social networks!

Agreed with your added points :)

Sammio2
Sep 18, 2012, 03:38 PM
I have two separate views on this...

As a consumer, i would love to see live icons. (Edit: Oh and quick toggles in notification centre for WiFi etc)

As a developer, i would love to see some of the restrictions lifted on what we can do... specifically around networking.

theautopilot
Sep 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
The question for me is not what Apple can do themseves, but what they could do to allow the development community do to progress iOS. This may include better API's and hook deeper into the operating system. However I can't see a huge change anytime soon, Apple are control freaks and I would not like iPod to become messy and unstable as android can be.

But adding to the wishlist... For me, the biggest wasted opertunity for iOS has been the Spotlight screen. Such a waste of space and the search is terrible, some really good concept videos have been done they demonstrate possibilities.

Other than that, the main things would be the abilities to replace the default apps (open chrome from an email).

Speaking of chrome; it nice, but it's not real chrome. I would like to see non-we kit browsers allowed like mobile Firefox.

Also a much more customisable notification centre too.

On a more general note, I do like a lot of windows mobile, it looks much more modern and clean. Much less the skeuomorphic (leather stitching etc) crap please Apple.

zbarvian
Sep 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
basically, this :

http://www.redmondpie.com/new-ios-6-concept-features-mission-control-dynamic-badges-and-everything-else-we-want-apple-to-make-video/

This. Better multitasking UI, more utility from the home screen, and some notification center enhancements.

Also some customization options. Nothing crazy, just similar to OS X. Add in some Apple magic, and I'd be thrilled.

blackhand1001
Sep 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
Sharing on Android allows you to share with apps like Evernote, Dropbox, Photobucket too, it's not just for social networks!

Agreed with your added points :)
I agree the sharing functionality in android works extremely well and is implemented in most apps. Its by far the best interapp interaction on a mobile os, maybe even os's altogether.

nuckinfutz
Sep 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
- File manager

#1 already exists. accounts.framework.
#2 Possible but could bring clutter
#3 Exist for corporate use. Unlikely to gain traction for consumers
#4 Editable default apps would be a great feature.
#5 Or at the very least let us hide them.

I'd like to see

Smart Folders - System wide.
Better import/export of documents across apps
Voice enabled system settings (Turn Wifi/Bluetooth/Cellular off etc)
Location aware profiles (ability to hide or show apps/folders based on location and more.
Scrollable folders
Drag and Drop

blackhand1001
Sep 18, 2012, 04:45 PM

I'd like to see

Location aware profiles (ability to hide or show apps/folders based on location and more.
Scrollable folders
Drag and Drop

Number 1 does not exist. Use an android device and hit the share button in any app. You get a nice list of apps you can share whatever your doing to. On a social level this lets you post a youtube video to twitter, google+, or facebook or even a third party client for one of those. It also lets you upload files to apps, save them to the file system or email them. You also can share a photo to any app that supports the share api. Pretty much all major apps support this api. Another thing it is used for is printing apps. Any app that has sharing functionality can use a printing app. You just hit share and select that printing app. Apple has nothing anywhere close to what android offers with cross app integration. On android this is used on almost all apps. Developers actually use it. Its not just a touted feature that never gets implemented. It was also in the OS since the beginning so everything was designed with it in mind.

irDigital0l
Sep 18, 2012, 05:19 PM
People use NC?

Yes...

Kinda obvious...

aPple nErd
Sep 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
Wayyyyyyy more customization... Like a whole new GUI!!!

matttye
Sep 18, 2012, 05:27 PM

I'd like to see

Scrollable folders
Drag and Drop

#1 does not exist on iOS in the sense that I'm talking. On Android, you can share your pictures, for example, to any service that implements sharing.. Google+, Facebook, Instagram, Photobucket, Twitter, Flipboard, Gmail, Facebook Messenger, etc etc. In Flipboard, if you want to share an article, you tap the share button (signified by an icon throughout Android) and you can share it to any of those services I mentioned. In Twitter, you can share tweets with those services. It is a lot more feature packed and more extensible than iOS' sharing features.

#2 Widgets, yes, but shortcuts to contacts/settings/etc.. no, because they would just take up one space like the existing apps do :p

#3 Agreed. It's a wish but I don't think it'll happen.

bushido
Sep 18, 2012, 05:30 PM
all i'm asking for is something like this ... basically allowing devs to use the not center

http://i46.tinypic.com/w6xfus.png

so i can turn of the damn rotation lock the easy way as well as bluetooth etc
and unlimited apps in one folder, the most annoying thing of all

nuckinfutz
Sep 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
#1 does not exist on iOS in the sense that I'm talking. On Android, you can share your pictures, for example, to any service that implements sharing.. Google+, Facebook, Instagram, Photobucket, Twitter, Flipboard, Gmail, Facebook Messenger, etc etc. In Flipboard, if you want to share an article, you tap the share button (signified by an icon throughout Android) and you can share it to any of those services I mentioned. In Twitter, you can share tweets with those services. It is a lot more feature packed and more extensible than iOS' sharing features.

#2 Widgets, yes, but shortcuts to contacts/settings/etc.. no, because they would just take up one space like the existing apps do :p

#3 Agreed. It's a wish but I don't think it'll happen.

Feature packed but not more extensible. The accounts.framework supports

Twitter
Flickr
Vimeo
Facebook (forthcoming)
Chinese services - Sina Weibo, 126.com, 163 and more.

It's designed to authenticate and share with web services. It's the same thing really. I don't much more extensibility from Android's approach other than a few more apps supported.

matttye
Sep 18, 2012, 05:37 PM
Feature packed but not more extensible. The accounts.framework supports

Twitter
Flickr
Vimeo
Facebook (forthcoming)
Chinese services - Sina Weibo, 126.com, 163 and more.

It's designed to authenticate and share with web services. It's the same thing really. I don't much more extensibility from Android's approach other than a few more apps supported.

It's more extensible because it's not Android that support the apps, it's the apps that support Android. Anybody can write apps to take advantage of Android's sharing features, whereas services in iOS are chosen by Apple.

Drunken Master
Sep 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
Yes...

Kinda obvious...

Not really obvious, NC sucks.

And not just the execution, the idea itself of dragging down this invisible tray is terrible. Ideally they would get rid of the system-wide search screen to the left of the home screen, the one that nobody uses, and turn that into a NC that more closely mimics that Mac's dashboard.

tnick777
Sep 18, 2012, 10:03 PM
Augmented Reality.

roxxette
Sep 19, 2012, 01:41 AM
I will like the option to create memes with the stock camera app

inselstudent
Sep 19, 2012, 02:43 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1293865
http://netputing.com/airprintactivator/airprint-activator-v2-0/

Have fun!

I know about AirPrint Activator. The thing is, you need to run your computer in the background and I sometimes don't even switch mine on these days, seeing how the iPad replaces most of my needs for a computer.

theautopilot
Sep 19, 2012, 03:44 AM
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/17/concept-video-shows-a-better-spotlight-for-ios/

Apple, please hire this guy.

P51
Sep 19, 2012, 05:01 AM
all i'm asking for is something like this ... basically allowing devs to use the not center

Image (http://i46.tinypic.com/w6xfus.png)

This. If they allowed this, I doubt people would even bother asking for widgets on the homescreen anymore.

BMJT
Sep 19, 2012, 05:10 AM

What JB apps/hacks are these?

Thanks.

theautopilot
Sep 19, 2012, 05:38 AM
Another small thing; I would like the icons to rotate to the correct orientation when the phone is in landscape mode, as the iPad does.

----------

This. If they allowed this, I doubt people would even bother asking for widgets on the homescreen anymore.

It would be even better if you could access the NC fully from the lockscreen.

bushido
Sep 19, 2012, 06:49 AM
What JB apps/hacks are these?

Thanks.

"NCSettings, SimpleDate for Not..., WeeFlashlight for Not..."

:)

APlotdevice
Sep 20, 2012, 08:20 PM
Oh, another thing that could be improved is BT keyboard support:

Ability to scroll pages with arrow keys
Map Launchpad key to Home and Mission Control to App Switcher
Support for delete/fn+backspace/cmd+d (ie. erase characters right of the cursor)
Option to disable/remap Caps Lock key (as you can in OS X)
Support for cmd+f in Safari

gursis11
Oct 14, 2012, 03:57 AM
I think the closest we'll see to live widgets on the home screen is live icons ... maybe.

That should be possible. Give one app icon the space of two or even three icons, more space for live information but still keeping the look and feel of a standard icon.

nharrietha
Oct 17, 2012, 10:54 PM
- Updated UI
- Live icons or some sort of live widget within Notification Center (leave optional to those who don't want to give up screen real estate, battery life, etc.)
- EQ settings within Music app
- Ability to change default browser to 3rd party app downloads

APlotdevice
Oct 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
They could integrate iCloud functionality into FaceTime that would allow you to toggle between devices without having to end your call:

lunaoso
Oct 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
Not really obvious, NC sucks.

And not just the execution, the idea itself of dragging down this invisible tray is terrible. Ideally they would get rid of the system-wide search screen to the left of the home screen, the one that nobody uses, and turn that into a NC that more closely mimics that Mac's dashboard.

Yeah that's a great idea! Turn the notification bar into a search bar! Next lets turn the home screen into a camera and the clock app into YouTube! :rolleyes:

SilentLoner
Oct 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah that's a great idea! Turn the notification bar into a search bar! Next lets turn the home screen into a camera and the clock app into YouTube! :rolleyes:

You seem to miss the whole point of the nc. It's so you can see what messages etc you have and reply from wherever you are.

lunaoso
Oct 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
You seem to miss the whole point of the nc. It's so you can see what messages etc you have and reply from wherever you are.

Yeah I understand that. Did you quote me on accident or did you miss the sarcasm?

But yeah it could use some improvements but I use it all the time. It's great to see all of my notifications and be able to just tap a notification to bring me to that app. Something like quick reply would be cool, but I think it works fine without it. And it definitely doesn't need a search bar. :p

MarcelEdward
Oct 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
I think they will add a video service similar to youtube with streaming from iphone options.
And they will add some 3d capabilties espacially when then release ios7 alonge with an ipad4 and/iphone 6 wich will problable have enough gpu and cpu power to run those.

komodrone
Oct 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
A native file manager.

not in a million years, no matter how much you want it.

Drunken Master
Oct 18, 2012, 11:01 PM

Now you're just being silly.

P.S. The NC still sucks.

opeepingtomo
Oct 19, 2012, 08:17 AM

THIS is one of the main things I would like to see as well as adding a flashlight shortcut to the lock screen just like they did with the camera. It is annoying to have to go to your settings icon, open settings, go into the menu you need, when you are then in the sub-menu, you can finally turn wireless off. Why not just swipe down from ANY screen and turn off or on whatever function you want to.)

Live Icons

More use of the Notification Center

Allow me to arrange my icons on the screen like I want them. Why can't i put only 4 icons centered in the middle of the screen without jailbreaking? That is ridiculous.

Sedrick
Oct 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
Things I do now via jailbreak:

Themes (and subsequent access or theme directories)
Place icons where ever I want.
Kill all apps at once.
Lock screen widgets.

I also have sbs settings, but don't have a lot of need to quickly get to wifi/Bluetooth settings.

Truth be told, with the iPad and introduction of the iPad mini, innovation for the iPhone is probably behind us.

opeepingtomo
Oct 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
Things I do now via jailbreak:

Themes (and subsequent access or theme directories)
Place icons where ever I want.
Kill all apps at once.
Lock screen widgets.

I also have sbs settings, but don't have a lot of need to quickly get to wifi/Bluetooth settings.

Truth be told, with the iPad and introduction of the iPad mini, innovation for the iPhone is probably behind us.

I actually meant to say kill all apps at once as well

armandxp
Oct 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
I'm pretty happy with ios6 so far. I enjoy the iPhone 5 having more ram available! This makes a huge difference to me. On my ipad 2, every time I switch apps it has to reload everything from scratch because its out of ram. This doesn't happen hardly at all with the 5. But, things I'd like to see:

A new fresh look at widgets that are different from android's.
Siri to be out of beta and be the super power of the phone.
Live icons would be cool, also.
Better management of EXACTLY what the 'other' data is when you look at your phone's memory in iTunes. I hate using 4.5gb of my phone as other and don't know exactly what it is.

That's is for me. Not asking for too much. :-)

Shorties
Oct 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
There is a clear problem that I think Apple failed to address in iOS 6, and it really disappointed me, (I'm not one who is often disappointed by apple). That is the lack of improvement on quick glance information, you look at a Windows phone homescreen, and you can see your recent messages, weather, sports scores ect through the Live Tiles. Android solves this by letting you put widgets on your homescreen, giving you the ability to just glance and know the information that is important to you. Apple's closest thing to this is notification center, but that still doesn't solve the problem of the quick glance on the go user.

I think Apple could do a few things to alleviate this problem, without completely stepping on the toes of their competitors:

I want Notification Icons. Sorta like Windows live tiles but a little less. Running through apple's notification service I want developers to be able to update icons relevant to the status of the application. The most obvious example of this would be apple's own weather icon which could show the actual weather. but also things like photo/video uploads could have status bars, sports apps could have the current scores of your favorite team, and stuff like that. Obviously this could be turned on and off on an app by app basis in the notification settings, just like any aspect of notifications.

I also would love to see custom notification banners. Like Apple has implemented with their iOS 6 maps GPS where the notification banner looks like a road sign. developers should have the ability to customize the look and feel of their notification banners, it would give a better, more integrated experience to the user.

I also saw someone else say something about opening Quick Reply through notifications similar to the Facebook/twitter share popup. I think that would be a great feature, if I got a message on skype and I just want to respond quickly, I shouldn't have to switch to the whole app to do it.

And I do think like many others have said here notification widgets should be given to developers to make their own. I would love for my TiVo app to let me have a little row of TV remote controls from within notification center so I would't have to switch apps just to fastforward on my TV.

HMI
Oct 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
I want to be able to rearrange and re-organize the list order of a given contact's phone numbers and email addresses, so that as contact numbers and email addresses change, one can easily add it to the top of the list without needing to use a lot of inconvenient copy/paste trickery.

underblu
Oct 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
A native file system is desperately needed. The current lack thereof really inhibits my ability to use the iPad as a work tool.

MozMan68
Oct 20, 2012, 04:50 PM
A native file system is desperately needed. The current lack thereof really inhibits my ability to use the iPad as a work tool.

Dropbox works fine for me, but I have a hard time understanding why Apple doesn't offer their own version with icloud. Would integrate well and seems like it would be a cash machine for them.

Marco123
Oct 21, 2012, 02:48 PM
My wife is due a phone upgrade soon and she is thinking of windows phone 8 or android because she thinks that ios is too familiar and boring now.
I myself will be purchasing the next console from microsoft and if streaming and other things work really well with windows phone 8 then I will be jumping ship also.
ios is just far to boring to me at the moment.
Apple really need to change it up a lot.

kirky29
Oct 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
Side-by-Side apps
Better multitasking (Explose or something like)
Live / Panoramic wallpaper

Theres loads more of stuff Apple really needs to add now.

irDigital0l
Oct 21, 2012, 06:50 PM
Defiantly an updated feel...everyone is busy trying out new stuff, improving their products, taking chances while Apple seems to be just sitting around, be careful not to overstep.

Multitasking sucks on iPhone.
-Clear all apps button
-better way instead of double tapping

Notification Center isn't implemented well.
-should be more like OS X ML
-tons of other stuff to make it usable

FaceTime needs group chat

Widgets, live icons

Giuly
Oct 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
A weather icon hat actually displays the local weather. :p

Virinprew
Oct 21, 2012, 08:45 PM
You want the realistic features. Here is iOS7.
1. Make iPhone 4/4s slow as hell
2. New exclusive feature for iPhone5S
3. Another never-used app like Newsstand & Passbook
4. New wallpaper
5. Tons of cool new feature with little asterisk
6. Siri can burp

ixodes
Oct 21, 2012, 08:53 PM
Going up would be popular.

Zmanbaseball2
Nov 2, 2012, 10:49 AM
What things can apple possibly add to iOS in iOS 7.

surfer17
Nov 2, 2012, 11:17 AM
You want the realistic features. Here is iOS7.
1. Make iPhone 4/4s slow as hell
2. New exclusive feature for iPhone5S
3. Another never-used app like Newsstand & Passbook
4. New wallpaper
5. Tons of cool new feature with little asterisk
6. Siri can burp

Stop trolling man.

Passbook, a never used app? I use it every week. It is a really convenient app to have with never having to carry physical cards for which a 'pass' is available.

surfer17
Nov 2, 2012, 11:28 AM
About changes for iOS 7:

1) Notification center can be made a whole lot better. Android's got a leg up on iOS when it comes to the Notification Center. Especially in this case as people would actually use it a lot more if it were implemented as it is in Android.

2) Make the App Store smoother. It's really a performance improvement, but one that is necessary. I don't know if its just me, but the App Store in iOS 6 seems sluggish to navigate on my iPhone 5.

3) Live wallpaper, live icons (for weather) would be a nice addition as long as it's not at the expense of the battery life. Which will most likely be the case. This is actually a feature they could bring exclusively to the iPhone 5S or whatever the next iteration will be called. Reason being, they could have a better battery on the next iteration of the phone and support this reasonably well.

4) There will be a bunch of small features too. You'd generally expect Apple to come up with "200+" feature on the next version of iOS too. And hopefully they come up with features like Killing all apps at once, swype like keyboard input method, some of the features which you can get by jailbreaking your iPhone, etc.

To be honest, I am pretty satisfied with the current feature set of iOS. As long as they have it stable and bug-free. It's not an easy task but doable by Apple's standards.

Parise
Nov 2, 2012, 11:43 AM
New IME. Please God, new IME.

theautopilot
Nov 2, 2012, 11:51 AM
Stop trolling man.

Passbook, a never used app? I use it every week. It is a really convenient app to have with never having to carry physical cards for which a 'pass' is available.

I think he makes so fair points TBH. That's pretty much been Apples strategy for some time. If Apple don't make some serious innovation the competition will be lightyears ahead in a couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I love iOS; It's lovely to use and rock solid, but it's crying out for improvement in so many obvious areas. Like that stupid Spotlight search screen.

My hope is that now Scott Forstall is departing Jony Ives will pick up the pace. Ives has made it clear that he does not like leather stitching.

Have a look at this: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/01/resizable-app-icon-concept-ios-meets-windows-phone-8/?post=1&icid=tuaw_home_latest_art

Apple should hire that guy, as well as the guy behind the concept I linked to further back.

allistera
Nov 2, 2012, 12:19 PM
About changes for iOS 7:

4) There will be a bunch of small features too. You'd generally expect Apple to come up with "200+" feature on the next version of iOS too. And hopefully they come up with features like Killing all apps at once, swype like keyboard input method, some of the features which you can get by jailbreaking your iPhone, etc.

Please don't. These apps aren't running in the background. http://daringfireball.net/2012/01/ios_multitasking

LouieSamman
Nov 2, 2012, 06:53 PM
I think dynamic badges will be a killer feature for me.

Rather than going in the app and doing whatever to get rid of the badge number you can just do a gesture to the app that brings up the notification badge feed up like the way the folder pops up and you can dismiss the badges, quick read, or click it to go into that specific notification badge.

roxxette
Nov 2, 2012, 07:10 PM
Browse files and play from time capsule

nsayer
Nov 2, 2012, 07:30 PM
Alarm -> launch app.

I want a Pandora alarm clock.

Right now, I have a Chumby to serve that purpose, but seeing as how they've apparently gone kaput, I wonder how much longer it's going to keep working.

Technarchy
Nov 2, 2012, 07:53 PM
1: Add dynamic glance and go information to the lock screen

2: Add dynamic icons to the home screen that can update weather, album art for things like Spotify, and the date (already done)

3: Quick settings in notification center, or accessible through another swipe gesture

4: The ability to kill all apps with one button

5.Swipe up in additional to double click home to get to task manager

6. Swipe gesture across dock or time for quick brightness control

7. Two finger swipe left or right to switch between running apps

8. Pinch home screen to display all screens.

9. Full music and album information, and audio controls in notification screen when any music app is playing.

10: Add some type of scrolling transition effect to the home screen to spice up the interaction a little bit so it's not "boring"

champagnepapi
Nov 3, 2012, 06:14 AM
I want this. Make it happen, Ive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96TDxXRDgc

theautopilot
Nov 3, 2012, 06:44 AM
I want this. Make it happen, Ive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96TDxXRDgc

Already posted, but yes I agree it looks amazing. So many possibilities.

Beeplance
Nov 3, 2012, 06:52 AM
As much as Jony Ive hates skeuomorphism, I hope he doesn't make a drastic UI changes in iOS 7. But it'll still be interesting to see how iOS develops under his reins.

----------

2: Add dynamic icons to the home screen that can update weather, album art for things like Spotify, and the date (already done)

3: Quick settings in notification center, or accessible through another swipe gesture

9. Full music and album information, and audio controls in notification screen when any music app is playing.

10: Add some type of scrolling transition effect to the home screen to spice up the interaction a little bit so it's not "boring"

Number 7 is from zephyr jailbreak tweak? And if they really put in number 2 & 8, Android will probably sue Apple for copyright. Don't think they'll add that in.

Sven11
Nov 3, 2012, 06:56 AM
I am not disappointed with iOS 6, but I have a wish list:

1. Mountain Lion Dock
2. Multitouch gestures
3. Speed improvements
4. More efficiency

Beeplance
Nov 3, 2012, 07:01 AM
I am not disappointed with iOS 6, but I have a wish list:

1. Mountain Lion Dock
2. Multitouch gestures
3. Speed improvements
4. More efficiency

What's with number 3? Care to elaborate?

Sven11
Nov 3, 2012, 07:16 AM
What's with number 3? Care to elaborate?

There is nothing wrong with the speed of iOS 6, but I would like to have e.g. a faster Safari and Adblock.

Jare
Nov 3, 2012, 07:22 AM
Realistically? (Knowing Ive will be tinkering now with the design)

1. Delta app updates.
2. More multi-touch gestures.
3. Redesign of several areas using terrible skeumorphism.
4. Game Center overhaul focusing more on Challenges/Achievements, to help compete slightly with gaming systems.
5. iCloud upgrades (restoring single app backups as well as entire device backups)
6. More siri integration and improvements.

:apple:

Beeplance
Nov 3, 2012, 07:23 AM
There is nothing wrong with the speed of iOS 6, but I would like to have e.g. a faster Safari. I would also like to have Adblock.

A FASTER SAFARI?? Are you kidding me? Haven't you not seem the countless reports of safari being lighting zippy on iOS 6? Have you actually used an iPhone 5 with LTE surfing the web? It is already blazing fast, idk why you would want it to be faster!

Sven11
Nov 3, 2012, 07:26 AM
A FASTER SAFARI?? Are you kidding me? Haven't you not seem the countless reports of safari being lighting zippy on iOS 6? Have you actually used an iPhone 5 with LTE surfing the web? It is already blazing fast, idk why you would want it to be faster!

Agreed, but it is not perfect yet. There is always room for improvements.

Beeplance
Nov 3, 2012, 07:30 AM

True. Safari being faster with every major iOS update has already become a trend. Would be nice to have new features for safari in iOS 7 as well.

theautopilot
Nov 3, 2012, 08:31 AM

Safari could be faster, I agree. There is a point at which no matter how fast your Internet connection is it can only render pages so fast, so there is little difference between 20mbps and 100mbps in web browsing terms.

That said, it's plenty fast enough for me. Faster safari is way down the list of iOS improvements for me personally.

brylliant
Nov 3, 2012, 08:42 AM

I really like the idea of one button to kill all apps. I also hope they add the much requested feature of adding quick settings in Notification Centre.

HarryKNN21
Nov 3, 2012, 08:56 AM
Again I ask why?

Galaxy Note 10.1 and some Chinese knock-off support what they call "Picture-in-picture", i.e. real multitasking at any one time and as I know Galaxy Note 10.1 can accommodate 4 running apps on the home screen at one time.

I also agree this seems not necessary most of the time especially during gaming and not possible on a 4" phone, as I don't think anyone would expect to watch a movie and play "Draw Something" while playing Modern Combat. However, "Picture-in-picture" may be useful when doing business work on a iPad or tablets, especially when someone needs to draw a picture after a photo.

----------

So what you simply want is a iOS-droid:cool:

chriscrk
Nov 3, 2012, 11:46 AM
Apple will not change it's stance on it's multi-tasking UI, which is vital to battery life. Some don't like it as it's not "true" multi-tasking, although I fail to see why you'd want apps running, 100%, all the time in the background pumping life out your battery as opposed to being in a suspended state. If they're in the background, you're not using them, "real" multi-tasking or otherwise. Why spend juice running something full pelt when you're not using it?

They could change the multi-tasking UI. The apps can still be in a suspended state, but the current UI can be changed.

I think what most people hate is the fact that it's just a little bar on the bottom that shows the icon of each app. When you enter multi-task, about 80% of the screen is un-used, and this leads to a rather silly control system of your other apps. You're not able to see all of them at once if you have many running! You have to scroll through the whole thing, becoming tedious if you have lots of apps open. Then, if you want to close them, you have to do it one by one! There's no button that allows you to close them all at once.

I'm sorry, but those things (which, from what I've read, are the things people hate the most about multitasking), can easily be fixed by increasing the screen space. They can make it bigger! And this allows for more apps to be displayed, it allows space to add a "close all" button, and it could even allow for a preview of what the other app is like (a picture of the last thing you see before it enters this "suspended state").

Edit: And with the iPhone 5, all this is even more relevant, because of the extra screen space.

nuckinfutz
Nov 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
iOS 7

1. Amazing inter-application data sharing.
2. Better Spotlight
3. Air Drop
4. Local Processing for Siri (no internet required)
5. Location Aware profiles
6. Time Machine support
7. Delta upgrades for everything
8. OpenCL
9. XPC
10. More Gestures

Lot's of room to grow.

emir
Nov 3, 2012, 12:39 PM
I think the long time rumoured Apple's pandora-like internet radio will see day view with iOS 7. Also, iTunes 11 which will likely to be released 7-8 months before iOS 7 will have hints in code and mac devs will find that out, will be another macrumors first page news.

iPhone 5S exclusive feature is a must. (Siri in 2011, panorama in 2012 even though it's still available for 4S)

Will definitely see where Ive will take iOS. I really wonder what iOS X (2016) will be like. That's a big name not to be fallen short of the mark.

As a side note i still love iOS 6 and think it's awesome instead of maps. Just better battery would be nice. All these criticism facing iOS 6 is because people are bored of it.

Wolf Gang Fresh
Nov 4, 2012, 01:39 AM
i know this is a stretch, but allowing users even a slight bit of UI customization would be great

touchipods
Nov 4, 2012, 02:36 AM
Go back to iOS5.1 (not 5.1.1 as that re-introduced crashes in Safari on iPad1 and touch 4g like in 5.0 and 5.0.1). I don't mind change but not when it makes things worse.

Honestly iOS6 offered nothing really new or exciting (Passbook literally could've been an app in the App Store like Podcast). Do Not Disturb and Panaroma could've also been a minor update for 5.2 (like the camera icon shortcut was added in 5.1). I also dislike some of the layout changes:

-Music app. In iOS6 everything is white so it is painful to look at.

-App Store and Itunes. iOS6 layout is bad because you can't see the rating (# of stars) unless you click on the app. Also searching is worse because it only shows a few at a time. So can't quickly scroll lesser known apps or underrated ones.

-Apple Maps. Although it works decent in US, worldwide is a bit of a mess. Not having Street View or transit info is less features. However once Google finishes the Google Map App (and Apple allows it) this 'controversy' should die down.

Honestly 5.1 was fine. For those that are 'bored' the simple answer is to jailbreak your iOS device. This will give you all the customization you need and make it look like Android if you so desire.

For those saying Apple should allow customizations, remember iOS platform is not geared specifically for tech-savvy people but for everyone. So Soccer-moms, Seniors, average Joes, and of course kids. For example in Android you have to root the device to get more customization features.

grease2000
Nov 4, 2012, 04:52 AM
IO7 needs to be radically different, the rest hasnt changed much

Drunken Master
Nov 4, 2012, 08:24 AM
Saw this Muji phone design today and thought it would be great if the number pad phone app looked a bit like this (minus the chord, just the faceplate and the buttons, replace the speaker with a space for dialed in numbers):

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/12/1219_industrial_facility/image/slide8.jpg

dellAbait
Nov 4, 2012, 12:40 PM
i understand ios is app driven, and i like that vs useless gimmicks, but these are a few things that i'd like that would make the experience more efficient:

- delete multiple mail messages
- keyboard that allows you to select the large number pad
- move music to a playlist while it's playing
- song progression bar on lockscreen
- music in notification center instead of 2 tap home button + swipe right
- ability to add settings toggles to notification center
- "driving mode" where siri activates by voice (maybe after a tap of the the home screen to wake to save battery)
- old youtube app
- a browser like atomic web browser

Hurley82989
Nov 4, 2012, 12:59 PM
the absolute number 1 thing that's missing from ios is the ability to make font larger in safari natively and automatically.

nearly all third-party browsers allow this feature but they aren't allowed to use the nitro javascript engine so naturally are nowhere near as quick as stock safari. on many mobile websites the font is absolutely microscopic and you can't zoom around.

there is a javascript code you can add to your favorites to increase font size but automatic ability would be MUCH easier.

MacPro23
Nov 6, 2012, 02:14 AM
What I would really like to see from iOS, aside from a complete GUI overhaul would be:

Completely gesture based - swipe up from bottom to reveal multi-tasking bar
More flexible app store policies
allow emulators, torrent clients, tethering apps
allow third party web browsers to use their own engine
allow apps to have more freedom similar to how apps are on Cydia (tweaks, customizations, etc.)
able to stay open in background for longer than 10 minutes
eliminate 200 MB app transfer rule
Automatic app updates
Don't restrict cellular data (allow app installations larger than 50 MB)
Set default apps
Hide stock applications or at the very least redesign stock apps to make them more useful
Prevent shutdown of phone unless pin is entered - this would be useful if your phone is stolen and you are tracking it
File management system
make iDisk app for iCloud
YouTube competitor
iTunes subscription service for movies, TV shows and music
Allow pin to be bypassed when on home Wi-Fi network
iOS Pro apps - Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Logic

ctone
Nov 7, 2012, 08:31 PM
Couple of features currently missing, doesn't need to wait until iOS7:

- Needs "Mark All Messages As Read" in iOS Mail, just like in OSX Mail. Tired of having to manually select hundreds of emails.

- Need the ability to add parental controls to Safari - not just the ability to disable the entire app - but allow or block certain sites, etc. such as on OSX Safari.

lunaoso
Nov 7, 2012, 09:55 PM
Couple of features currently missing, doesn't need to wait until iOS7:

- Needs "Mark All Messages As Read" in iOS Mail, just like in OSX Mail. Tired of having to manually select hundreds of emails.

- Need the ability to add parental controls to Safari - not just the ability to disable the entire app - but allow or block certain sites, etc. such as on OSX Safari.

Check out this thread. ;)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16253242

ctone
Nov 8, 2012, 11:14 PM
Check out this thread. ;)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16253242

Great - thanks - that worked! Marked over 300 messages as read. Still, it should be a readily available option, not some hidden trick that seems more like a useful bug.

Anyway - one more annoying missing feature in iOS 6: no way to send an email to a contact group, even when the group is already set up on iCloud. Contact groups are completely useless on iOS.