Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
I upgraded to snow Leopard abt 8 months ago, still have ilife 08 running...wanting to upgrade the iphoto package but can't seem to find it anywhere....should I upgrade to Lion?? I'm still getting used to everything in SL as I was a bit behind on upgrading (lack of funds, same situation now)...does anyone have any suggestions??

it's been running odd and i'm wondering what I should do....if there's an inexpensive upgrade to Lion, will it come with the upgraded ilife suite and just automatically take all that I have from SL and put it with Lion?

I know these questions seem quite a bit novice and good reason for that is that I'm still learning computers themselves, including Apple all together.

I've been trying to drag/drop some of my photo albums onto a flash drive before upgrading either iPhoto or iLife, I'd much rather just upgrade iPhoto as I'm guessing it's much cheaper.....oh, so yeah, the drag part works just fine, it's the drop that it's not doing, whether it be just dropping to my desktop, a folder on my desktop or straight to the flash drive, it's not allowing me to do so......PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Also, I see I can buy iLife '11 on ebay for as cheap as $30 but again, I"m lost as to what is best for me (knowleldge/experience(lack) & what's best for my computer)

I hope these questions are clear....not knowing much leaves me a bit uncertain as to how to ask questions properly - you know, if you don't really know what you're doing then it's harder to ask questions pertaining to your lack of knowledge.....:confused:

thanks

oh yeah, i've also come across 'free iphoto '09' downloads - what's yr take on that??? again, not knowing what I'm really doing leaves me unable to determine when I've come across something great or if it's a scam....all I want to do right NOW, is work with an upgraded iPhoto, as the one I'm using right now is '08 and it doesn't even have faces/places (something I really think will help me in regards to working with the 2700 pix i currently have.

oh, another question - is it advisable to zip a group of pics THEN save to a flash drive?? does this give me more room on the flash drive so I can put LOTS of pics or.......... ? ? ? ? ?

thanks so much

Nov 28, 2010
located
I upgraded to snow Leopard abt 8 months ago, still have ilife 08 running...wanting to upgrade the iphoto package but can't seem to find it anywhere....should I upgrade to Lion?? I'm still getting used to everything in SL as I was a bit behind on upgrading (lack of funds, same situation now)...does anyone have any suggestions??
No need to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, but you could *however invest 15 USD and buy iPhoto '11 via the Mac App Store (MAS).

it's been running odd and i'm wondering what I should do....if there's an inexpensive upgrade to Lion, will it come with the upgraded ilife suite and just automatically take all that I have from SL and put it with Lion?
What do you mean with odd? Be as precise as you can, if you want to have help with that.
As for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, it does not come with an update iLife version. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is the same, and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is no longer sold via the MAS.

I know these questions seem quite a bit novice and good reason for that is that I'm still learning computers themselves, including Apple all together.
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

I've been trying to drag/drop some of my photo albums onto a flash drive before upgrading either iPhoto or iLife, I'd much rather just upgrade iPhoto as I'm guessing it's much cheaper.....oh, so yeah, the drag part works just fine, it's the drop that it's not doing, whether it be just dropping to my desktop, a folder on my desktop or straight to the flash drive, it's not allowing me to do so......PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Do you use Finder to Drag&Drop? Do you get any error messages that you can recite here, maybe via screenshots?
Does it also happen with another folder or file not connected to iPhoto?

Also, I see I can buy iLife '11 on ebay for as cheap as $30 but again, I"m lost as to what is best for me (knowleldge/experience(lack) & what's best for my computer)
If you only use iPhoto, then you can get iPhoto for 15 USD via the MAS, as linked to above.

I hope these questions are clear....not knowing much leaves me a bit uncertain as to how to ask questions properly - you know, if you don't really know what you're doing then it's harder to ask questions pertaining to your lack of knowledge.....:confused:
Understandable.

oh yeah, i've also come across 'free iphoto '09' downloads - what's yr take on that??? again, not knowing what I'm really doing leaves me unable to determine when I've come across something great or if it's a scam....all I want to do right NOW, is work with an upgraded iPhoto, as the one I'm using right now is '08 and it doesn't even have faces/places (something I really think will help me in regards to working with the 2700 pix i currently have.
It is a scam, only get such software via official channels like Apple or Amazon (if they still sell iLife '11).

oh, another question - is it advisable to zip a group of pics THEN save to a flash drive?? does this give me more room on the flash drive so I can put LOTS of pics or.......... ? ? ? ? ?
As you pictures are probably in JPEG format, it will not help to zip those files, as JPEGs are highly compressed, and zipping them will not help you getting more storage capacity. It also introduces a risk factor in case one of those zip files gets corrupted and cannot be restored.

I guess you do not have an external Hard Disk Drive (HDD) to backup to? If so, you should think about doing so, a small one (250 GB) can be had for as little as 40 USD. If you value your data, you should back it up.

I have one 500 GB HDD for my photographs (digital and analog) libraries and editing documents, one 500 GB HDD with my personal video footage in an editing friendly format.
Both 500 GB HDDs get backed up to one 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
And that 1 TB HDD gets backed up to another 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
Therefore I have three copies of my important data.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.