Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Knowing Apples track record, it's not what new features you'll get, it's what old features they'll take away. If rumors are true then you can kiss bye-bye to youtube.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I haven't seen any indication to lead me to think that YouTube will be going away from the Apple TV. The software may be iOD based but we aren't talking about an app like with the iPhone and iPad. The graphical interface is way different.

If it had gone away we would have more solid proof. But there is no reason to think yet that the software on the AppleTv is going to change dramatically.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I haven't seen any indication to lead me to think that YouTube will be going away from the Apple TV.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/6/3223775/apple-youtube-ios6

Apples statement:-
Our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended, customers can use YouTube in the Safari browser and Google is working on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store.

Seeing as the ATV has no app store or browser then it's safe to assume that the ATV will no longer be able to access youtube under iOS 6 :(

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Seeing as the ATV has no app store or browser then it's safe to assume that the ATV will no longer be able to access youtube under iOS 6 :(

or it's safe to say that the statement does not refer to AppleTV in any way :rolleyes:

as we've had access to the beta versions of the AppleTV software, i'm sure it would have been mentioned if YouTube had been removed!

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I just wish they would fix how tv shows are listed. One entry for the show, then all the seasons. I refuse to 'rig' it so it displays like it used to.

in apple's eyes it won't be something that needs "fixed". it's simply replicating the view that you get in iTunes.

TV shows and seasons are not grouped together in iTunes, so what you see on the AppleTV is the same as what you see in iTunes.

yes I agree it's annoying, but it's actually just keeping the views the same across all platforms.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Only thing I would like is to have the same menus for movies as I do on a mac. The fact that we have to sit at a computer just to watch extras and such is a disgrace.

Oh, and installable apps too. I need my plex.

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
Seeing as the ATV has no app store or browser then it's safe to assume that the ATV will no longer be able to access youtube under iOS 6

If, after iOS 6, there is no Youtube app on the ATV, just use Google's new Youtube app and Airplay it from any other iOS device. It works beautifully, and, IMO, Airplaying Youtube from another device is faster and easier than using the ATV Youtube app.

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
You can re-arrange icons on the Apple TV home screen. This is the only new feature, unless there's something tucked away in the (unavailable) GM build.

seniorchang

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I just wish they would fix how tv shows are listed. One entry for the show, then all the seasons. I refuse to 'rig' it so it displays like it used to.

That would be the most logical thing to do.
If you have many TV Shows it gets crowded really fast.

Another thing I'd like to see is having a poster/grid view for tv shows/movies I haven't purchased through iTunes. Like the "Purchased" section in tv shows.

But that's just wishful thinking I guess.

Addster

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Do you think it is safe to assume that the iOS 6 update for Apple TV will be released on 9/19 as well? I haven't seen anything official, everything just mentions iPad, iPhone, iPod with nothing about Apple TV.

I'm really looking forward to the new Multiple Speakers through AirPlay feature.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
If, after iOS 6, there is no Youtube app on the ATV, just use Google's new Youtube app and Airplay it from any other iOS device. It works beautifully, and, IMO, Airplaying Youtube from another device is faster and easier than using the ATV Youtube app.

Not everybody uses other iOS devices.

If YouTube is removed then I won't be happy.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
There's a new free standalone YouTube app in the App Store (it runs on other versions of iOS). I've had it on my iPhone 4S for about a week. The legacy YouTube app hasn't been updated in years.

If Apple ever switches to an App Store model for the Apple TV, it's likely they will sunset their native YouTube player and let Google create their own.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
So your the 1 person they've were talking about :)

Looks like it. I'm a Windows/Android person really but the Apple TV is a nice piece of kit (so far...only had it a few days) for Netflix etc.

I've just come across from XBMC and still undertaking the arduous task of converting all my content to an "apple-friendly" format. Every time I search for a solution for something on here it's always "use your mac to do this..." or "use your iPad to do the other...". Frustrating but expected really ;)

I was a Mac user for about a year while Vista was doing it's best to ruin the Windows experience but just couldn't get used to it.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
As I've just touched upon in this thread, the only thing I hope for is that they let us have some sort of app store. There are so many potentially amazing uses for Apple TV, but in it's current state it's 100% useless for me without an iOS device.

NiklasK

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Sweden
I just cant help starting to think there is something else coming up. All previous ios software updates have included the Apple TV on the same day.

Could we expect something else in conjunction with iTunes 11. Did any agreements with content providers come into the picture late and hence Apple decided to delay the ios6 update for Apple TV until this was investigated further...?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I've seen somethnig saying that on the iOS 6 beta you can make apples wiggle and have a little cross and move them around like on ipad and iphone. So i guess that means you'll be able to delete them, therefore I reckon and app store is a good bet :)

johnnielse

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I've seen somethnig saying that on the iOS 6 beta you can make apples wiggle and have a little cross and move them around like on ipad and iphone. So i guess that means you'll be able to delete them, therefore I reckon and app store is a good bet :)

You can move them but not delete them. As I said in one of the other forum threads; in the beta there is also an AirPlay speaker feature that is quite cool.
Apple TV gets AirPlay speaker-out feature in iOS6

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I've seen somethnig saying that on the iOS 6 beta you can make apples wiggle and have a little cross and move them around like on ipad and iphone.
If you want to see what this might be like, you've been able to do this with Favorite podcasts on the aTV for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.