PDA

View Full Version : See Samsung's Sunday newspaper ad about the iPhone 5. Whats your thoughts? (merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Gage
Sep 15, 2012, 11:13 PM
Hey, how did they get an iPhone 5 before the release? I want to work at Samsung so I can get new iPhones early too!

rockyroad55
Sep 15, 2012, 11:13 PM
Man you'd make a terrible Ad person but a pretty good bar room expert at advertising.

Why exactly would anyone care about that? It's not a high school popularity contest you know. The iphone's not the prom queen all the nerds wet dreams about.

I guess nobody saw my comment that it was a joke. Holy crapp.

AlPlPlLE
Sep 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
Someone said it earlier but their ad spec about the battery is complete ********. I owned the SIII for a few weeks as a "test drive" and the battery sucked ass. And that's AFTER I gutted the software of per installed bloat and other crap.

iphonefan74
Sep 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
Image (http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r159/yourcrakd/iphonesamsung.jpg)

I wonder if its too late to get my version to the WSJ

The difference is that the SIII can do or has nearly everything on your list. The iPhone has nothing like smart stay, best shot, direct call, palm touch, palm swipe, or flip to mute

jctevere
Sep 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
They need to add under the ram portion "2gb of ram but lags like hell anyway"

That's the main reason I am switching from the S3 to the iPhone5.

Exactly this! I have tried out Android phones and the best way to sum it up is that Android is like iOS's retarded brother. From far away they both look like they offer the same thing, but when you start to use Android one can't help but realize that there is something deep down wrong with the software in the coding efficiency or something...

Even though the S3 had 2GB of Ram it was having a hard time keeping up with my fast text message input. Not to mention, Android just doesn't feel as refined as iOS is.

Last but not least, I hate companies that try to directly compare themselves to competitors - it just makes them look bad. It almost shows that you're admitting people don't think you're as good as your competitor and you're trying to prove that the majority is wrong.

Hyundai used to do the same thing by calling out that their paint quality is better then Mercedes. Needless to say I have a Mercedes and an iPhone. Not because I just love Apple or Mercedes, but because they are two brands that are very refined and in my opinion - best suited for my needs/wants.

motorazr
This looks like a list insecurities...

truettray
Shake to update? Seriously?

faroZ06
Samsung needs to compare themselves to other android devices, not the iPhone, because most iPhone owners don't give a *****.

True ^^^^

macosxuser01
Sep 15, 2012, 11:16 PM
And WHY NOT use a WHITE iPhone 5 and turn the damn SCREEN ON?

Black on dark blue obviously won't make much of an impression.

Yeah totally agree but its there ad trying to make Apple look unsexy at all

alexxxhp
http://postimage.org/image/t6y3rnm4n/

cotak
Do they show Samsung specific software add-ons that is not part of Android, and is still useful? Call me surprised.

Yep, I saw one which they show the photo sharing feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCJWin3IQA

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XubPB_RKccA

Which btw, is one of those "new" features for iphone 5 right? Makes me wonder if samsung patented it :)

OTACORB
Absolutely BRILLIANT!!! This add is doing exactly what it's supposed to, getting the blind followers all riled up and getting everyone else talking. When it comes to ads, the ones that get people talking are the most successful ones of all. Looking forward to the new Sammy ads and commercials. Sammy vs Apple is the new Mac Vs Pc of this generation. But in this round it's manufacturers instead of OS'. And I use the word manufacturer very loosely in Apple's case.

Yeah this is going to really impact iPhone sales, go Samsung Go!

Fact is those that were looking to get an Samsung Galaxy likely already got one. Those on the fence that were waiting to decide after Apple's iPhone 5 announcement likely already ordered the iPhone 5 or has decided to get one on Friday.

Both are good phones, but what it boils down too for most users is does the Galaxy really offer them enough to buy it vs the iPhone if they are already using an existing iPhone, along with the Apple ecosystem? I think Apple delivered enough to keep most users in their camp as will be indicated by sales reports coming soon.

Competition is a good thing! Bring It Sammy! LOL

faroZ06
Ha this takes me back to the old Windows v Mac OS days :rolleyes:

If the iPhone is so bad then why do so many people want it, they can't all be falling for the Apple hype?

Speaking of that, I wonder what Consumer Reports has to say about the iPhone 5. Every time I buy something they don't recommend, and I like it, I lose more and more credibility for them. The iPhone 4 was surprisingly good, and I actually hated iPhones until I got one.

chr1s60
Sep 15, 2012, 11:17 PM
Funny that Samsung pokes fun at the new plug as a feature, yet they list gestures and a removable battery as cool features. Pretty sure my Nokia 5190 had a removable battery a decade ago.

cdmoore74
Sep 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
Sales doesn't automatically make it a better phone.

If that was the case, the Ford Fiesta is the best car in the world.

Best quote I've read all day. Just because one phone sales millions does not make it the best phone. People require different sizes and features. You can't expect everyone to drive the same small car.

itech224
Sep 15, 2012, 11:20 PM
More like

Apple: Sues over anything

Or

Samsung: Attempts to sue back at first sight of infringement.

macosxuser01
Sep 15, 2012, 11:20 PM
Ha this takes me back to the old Windows v Mac OS days :rolleyes:

If the iPhone is so bad then why do so many people want it, they can't all be falling for the Apple hype?

I remember when people didn't even know Apple still exist. It's so stupid when i hear that excuse because Apple was literally in the **** hole and rose all they way to the top.

sunspot42
Sep 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
Why are all of Samesung's phones so butt ugly? They copy the iPhone's technology - hell they even copy the cables - but they can't get the look right?

Tasteless morons.

I wouldn't be caught dead owning one of those things. LG and Nokia both make far better-looking equipment. It's a pity they aren't doing better.

CrAkD
Sep 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
The difference is that the SIII can do or has nearly everything on your list. The iPhone has nothing like smart stay, best shot, direct call, palm touch, palm swipe, or flip to mute

most of the crap on samsungs list is pointless add ons that aren't even part of android. I could of kept going all the way down the page about 3rd party accessories (which will still be 10 fold more then the S3 even with the change in dock connector) among other things. Not to mention the custom silicone in the 5 is more then likely going to stop out the S3 in CPU and GPU

cotak
Sep 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
Yeah this is going to really impact iPhone sales, go Samsung Go!

Fact is those that were looking to get an Samsung Galaxy likely already got one. Those on the fence that were waiting to decide after Apple's iPhone 5 announcement likely already ordered the iPhone 5 or has decided to get one on Friday.

Both are good phones, but what it boils down too for most users is does the Galaxy really offer them enough to buy it vs the iPhone if they are already using an existing iPhone, along with the Apple ecosystem? I think Apple delivered enough to keep most users in their camp as will be indicated by sales reports coming soon.

Competition is a good thing! Bring It Sammy! LOL

There's still a lot of people without smartphones to play for, especially world wide. At the end of the day the team with the bigger user base is going to be able to have the advantage of having more apps, better support from other technology players.

And a longer/better spec list is one way to target potential first time smartphone buyers.

Also, remember this is 2 very different corporate culture spawned from different parts of the world. In Asia the spec list and being the ones with the latest and greatest with a fast refresh cycle is more important than a nicely though out interface. People I know in asia buys new phone like we buy new underpants.

Swordylove
Sep 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
They forgot to mention one deadly feature of the S3: Butt ugly design

I hate the iPhone 5 hype with all my heart. But I hate S3 even more, and that ad is simply childish and looks more like a fanart.

mikelegacy
Sep 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
I kind of like Samsung's ads. I think it bring to a head of the question of what is important to new smartphone? Realistically most of us will choose 10-15 apps that we use daily, watch some movie, take some pictures, find resturants around us, getting map direction.. Pretty boring kind of stuff.

The real question everyone should ask if what does those new feature do to our day to day use of our phone? Right now smartphone is going down a path that said more feature is better and no one really ask what are we using those feature for? NFC is a great example. What exactly are we using NFC today or tomorrow? Two years later I am already on a new smartphone. So if there is not something I can use now, I probably don't need it in my smartphone now. I think smart phone is getting into the territory where new inventions are seldom useful. We have at a point that smart phone are fairy complete. Faster processor beyond a certain point won't help my day to day use. Same as having more RAM. Screen size is a personal choice and some people will like it. I think Samsung list is actually expose a big problem. How many of the Apple target audience understand what those feature on the list do?

A lot of the online 10 minute iphone 5 demo reviews already start asking about the construction of Samsung and the easy of use question (especially for woman who tends to have smaller hand) of S3 against Iphone 5. The plastic shell construction of S3 used to be o.k., now it is questionable of taste. Iphone 5 set the bar for light weight and thinnest. And it looks like a blockbuster now. So let see what other company can do to match it.. I bet it will take at least another 9 months before anyone can match it. It is much harder than it seems to get a phone that slim and light weight but yet have enough speed and handle LTE. Good, bad or indifferent: the brand, the look, the feel, the construction and the design is going to get more and more important going forward as almost all smartphone can fill 90% of user's basic needs on a mobile device.

You don't understand what a faster processor and more RAM means. It doesn't mean near as much the consumer if app developers like me don't create apps that explore the full capacity of the new processor. But developers are and that is how it will affect a daily users life. Better apps = better user experience.

cotak
Sep 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
Funny that Samsung pokes fun at the new plug as a feature, yet they list gestures and a removable battery as cool features. Pretty sure my Nokia 5190 had a removable battery a decade ago.

It's no joke if you are using the 3G or 3GS still for work (I know a few people at work still with those old phones). If no one remembers, those phones gets hot easily and the battery protection feature on it would not let you charge it. So you can run out of juice on a long call even when plugged in.

The swappable battery is also not such a bad idea if you are a heavy user. At least you don't have to do surgery on your phone if you degraded the battery quickly through repeated charge cycling.

subsonix
Best quote I've read all day. Just because one phone sales millions does not make it the best phone. People require different sizes and features. You can't expect everyone to drive the same small car.

Yeah, the difference is that most people who buys a Fiesta probably would have got a Ferrari if only it was not immensely more expensive.

Castiel
It doesn't take a genius to know the iPhone 5 sold out in an hour. :D

macnews
Sep 15, 2012, 11:28 PM

All those features sound cool, and indeed maybe useful but here is your problem...

not every Android phone has them!

It is like the old days with Windows. Yes, you had a ton of different case makers but the software - how you USED the computer - was the same. Modern phones combine hardware and software and ARE small, portable computers. People don't want to learn a "new computer" every two years. And for those of you on here who say it isn't hard I'm NOT talking about you. Most, if not 100% of the people on this board know how to use almost any smart phone. We are not 90% of the market however. Most average people just want the phone to work which is why for some the iPhone is too much and for many others why - even though they have an Android - they never download apps or do more than just make phone call and send text messages.

I think if MS gets their ducks in a row, Windows could be the real competitor to the iPhone and Android falls to third in 4 years. Big if, but I think possible.

alexxxhp
Sep 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
Yes sir 1 hour

faroZ06
Sep 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Hyundai used to do the same thing by calling out that their paint quality is better then Mercedes. Needless to say I have a Mercedes and an iPhone. Not because I just love Apple or Mercedes, but because they are two brands that are very refined and in my opinion - best suited for my needs/wants.

They said that they have the same type of paint on their Hyundai models as a $100K Mercedes sedan. That's really vague. And Hyundai totally copied Mercedes for the front of their Genesis and BMW for the back. It used to take me a while to realize that a Genesis near me is actually a Genesis, not a Mercedes. Whoever designed that is quite talentless and a copycat.

cotak
Sep 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Shake to update? Seriously?

The possibility of the jokes from someone using that feature with the phone close to their groin is one thing. But we must have all tried urbanspoon at one point or another.

Vizin
Sep 15, 2012, 11:30 PM

flameproof
Sep 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
Apple has plenty of features that Samsung/Google don't mention in that ad, such as iCloud

I prefer Dropbox. There are plenty of other cloud storage services.

marioguarneros
Sep 15, 2012, 11:32 PM
I've started using the hash tag #TheNextBigThing to talk about how excited I am for my new iPhone 5. All iPhone fans should to the same! "Borrow" their slogan.

Brilliant! Will keep track of that one to see if it catches on.

Dolorian
Sep 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
Last but not least, I hate companies that try to directly compare themselves to competitors - it just makes them look bad.

Apple has done this many times over the years. iMac introduction, iPod, iPhone and iPad introduction, Mac vs PC ads, mocking Vista, etc.

turtlez
Sep 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
Samsung were priding themselves so much on a quad core chip but since the A6 info came out today that proves it will be almost twice as fast as the S3 chip they don't even mention their quad core hahahaha.

Emmanuelc
Sep 15, 2012, 11:35 PM
People that are tech-savvy and even know what more cores mean, or more ram, KNOW that the fact that apple may have less processing power on paper, but the fact that Apple makes their own software and hardware, makes the iPhone superior because they make it so the software and hardware works more efficiently together so it's faster than an android with more "cores". And people that don't know what cores or ram mean (you'd be surprised), don't give a **** and will probably want the iPhone anyways because it's damn sexy. So basically, we win.

flameproof
Phone wars are looking more and more like political ads everyday

There is a huge difference, whatever phone you chose after the 'war', it will be a good one. And if not you aren't stuck for 4 years with it. Whereas.......

OTACORB
There's still a lot of people without smartphones to play for, especially world wide. At the end of the day the team with the bigger user base is going to be able to have the advantage of having more apps, better support from other technology players.

And a longer/better spec list is one way to target potential first time smartphone buyers.

Also, remember this is 2 very different corporate culture spawned from different parts of the world. In Asia the spec list and being the ones with the latest and greatest with a fast refresh cycle is more important than a nicely though out interface. People I know in asia buys new phone like we buy new underpants.

This ad doesn't appear to be for those in Asia so your point there is moot.

You know what drives sales more than anything else? Word of mouth advertising. I was at a local high school football game last night. I counted those around with me iPhone. I counted about 17 iPhones and I a few conversation broke out. I heard one guy say he had ordered the new iPhone 5 and this women said yeah, we upgraded too. This other older lady said my husband and I will be new to the iPhone. I asked why did you guys get an iPhone, she said well all our kids and grand kids have them, so we decided we'd get one too. The old man was like I am going to have to learn how to text.

This ad by Samsung will have VERY little impact on sales! Even on those that still haven't made a jump. I think it boils down to exposure and what the members of your family have already adopted.

Technarchy
Sep 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
Proves Samsung is worried.

They should be.

iPhone 5 is coming...

faroZ06
Sep 15, 2012, 11:37 PM
People that are tech-savvy and even know what more cores mean, or more ram, KNOW that the fact that apple may have less processing power on paper, but the fact that Apple makes their own software and hardware, makes the iPhone superior because they make it so the software and hardware works more efficiently together so it's faster than an android with more "cores". And people that don't know what cores or ram mean (you'd be surprised), don't give a **** and will probably want the iPhone anyways because it's **** sexy. So basically, we win.

Are you part of Apple or a shareholder?

chr1s60
Without Apple bringing the iPhone into the market Samsung would be making the Blackjack 6 as their top phone right now with a keyboard and confusing OS. So the whole "it doesn't take a genius" line is kind of funny to me.

G51989
I wish Apple would release an ad comparing sales numbers. Like in 1 week we sold more phones than you did in a year.

Wrong.

Samsung builds and sells more Smartphones than Apple.

flameproof
Apple has done this many times over the years. iMac introduction, iPod, iPhone and iPad introduction, Mac vs PC ads, mocking Vista, etc.

Lol, I love the 'I'm a PC' ads. John Hodgman is great!

Swift
Sep 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
2 GB of RAM? Why, that's twice as good as 1! Except when the OS is full of laggy bits, and you absolutely need that 2GB to be nearly as good as the 1 GB iPhone.

They sound like any angry Android puppet on the Internet. But we have weird features that you won't use!

Did we mention we owe Apple a billion bucks for copying? Yeah, we do. And they owe us... nothing! Yada yada. We're a billion and they're nothing!

AndyR
Sep 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
LOL, I can see why they did this, but Apple should sue them for not licensing the right to print the iPhone in the Ad :)

faroZ06
Sep 15, 2012, 11:39 PM
I hope you're not saying sales volume = quality? Because PC fans could use that to say Windows is superior to OSX.

There are already USB ads claiming that it's the best because so many use it. I'm all for a standard that is widely used by pretty much everyone, but there are alternatives to USB that are way, way better.

Now for a little horror story. Our school's science website is only compatible with Internet Explorer when you are submitting lab result data. Videos showing how to do stuff in the lab are in the Real Media format and have a framerate of 5FPS. Computers all run Windows 7, and they used to run Vista. You can't open the Task Manager on any of them. Tap-to-click and automatic updates are enabled. Comic Sans is frequently used. The school email uses Exchange, and the online service never remembers your login credentials.

----------

I prefer Dropbox. There are plenty of other cloud storage services.

Dropbox is my favorite. There is actually no iDisk-like thing in iCloud right now. I can see iCloud being potentially very useful as a syncing method, but I don't have Lion, so it's pretty useless to me.

ChrisH3677
Sep 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
I hope you're not saying sales volume = quality? Because PC fans could use that to say Windows is superior to OSX.

And Android fans would use that to "prove" Android is better than iOS. :D

doelcm82
Good luck to Samsung. It's just an ad. Maybe someone will see this ad and decide to go with Samsung rather than the iPhone. That's what advertising is for. That new Samsung user might become a Samsung customer for life. Or he might regret his decision and decide never to buy another Samsung product ever again.

I expect Apple to continue to run celebrity ads, or perhaps more lifestyle ads. Perhaps a potential customer will be convinced by watching Siri give Macauley Culkin advice on how to restart his career. Maybe they'll be sold by watching an attractive couple meet cute using Apple technology.

In the end, the two companies products will compete not only in the marketing arena, but in customer satisfaction.

Good luck Apple, too, by the way. My iPhone 5 is set to arrive on the 21st!

upnorth85
I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 and also use an iPad2 and MacBook Air. So here is my take and probably a different perspective as one who has never owned an iPhone.
Samsung phone has only one attribute that I would miss when I move to an iPhone 5 and that is the swipe feature where i can just take my finger from one word to another for quick text input. But let me tell you why I am dumping my 9 month old SGS2 for an iPhone 5 when an unlocked one is sold by Apple which I plan to use on the T-mobile network because my city i already opened up for 3G and by middle of next year will have LTE compatible with AT&T iPhone 5.
1. The camera and video feature of iPhones is very superior to the Samsung Galaxy. I have compared photos taken at the same time with my phone and my friend's 4S.
2. The quality of Apps in the Android have a far less functionality than those in the iOs environment.
3. User data privacy just does not exist in the Android domain. I end up buying Apps on my iPad and running my SGS2 in hot spot mode.
4. Operating system updates are a nightmare. It takes a year or more for updates to the software depending on the manufacturer. Samsung does a lousy job. Apple updates are smooth and trouble free and cover all its family of products.
5. The hardware and software integration in the iPhone is incomparable to any phone in the market, including Samsung Galaxy family.
6. Battery life is a joke. I can never get past a full day without charging. I do not play games or watch movies. I just have 4G and Wi-Fi on. I end up having my phone connected all night, while driving and at work too. Battery drain for the large screen is horrendous.
7. Finally, every time I buy an App I know my data is sold because I am constantly getting spam text messages and phone calls. I thus avoid buying any Apps in the Android market.

I am thus keenly waiting for Apple to sell unlocked phones which I will buy at full price and use on the T-mobile network.

flameproof
Sep 15, 2012, 11:42 PM
LOL, I can see why they did this, but Apple should sue them for not licensing the right to print the iPhone in the Ad :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the US comparing ads are legal.

chrismarle
Sep 15, 2012, 11:42 PM
Ahh you beat me to it. Here's mine:

Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img834/2406/geniush.png)

Smoked.

Puevlo
Sep 15, 2012, 11:43 PM
Apple share holders already running scared.

amnost
Sep 15, 2012, 11:44 PM
Is this a joke? Smart Stay? S-Beam? ShareShot? Group Cast? Direct Call? Smart Alert? Tilt to Zoom? Palm Swipe Capture? Palm Touch Mute Pause? Picture in Picture? Turn Over to Mute? Shake to Update? Are you kidding me? Oh right, I just can't wait to buy a Galaxy S III, because it has Palm Touch Mute Pause! Seriously, where would the world be without Palm Touch Mute Pause?

Samsung -- those features sound so boring and pointless, not to mention the fact that no one who sees the ad will have any idea what those things are! Advertising Tilt to Zoom as a major feature that makes the Galaxy S III better than the iPhone 5 would be like if Apple advertised Slide to Unlock in newspapers.

tech4all
Sep 15, 2012, 11:44 PM
I will say Samsung has very crappy ads. I mean if they're targeting iPhone users and you insult them (based on those commercials from a while back), do you honestly think they would buy your product? NO! Really I would never buy a Samsung product because of those ads. I was hesitant about getting my Galaxy Nexus since it's made by Samsung, but branded for Google.

Insult the product, not the consumer.

And Android fans would use that to "prove" Android is better than iOS. :D

Neither OS is "better." Course a fanboy from either side would never admit it. :rolleyes:

cotak
Sep 15, 2012, 11:45 PM
This ad doesn't appear to be for those in Asia so your point there is moot.

You know what drives sales more than anything else? Word of mouth advertising. I was at a local high school football game last night. I counted those around with me iPhone. I counted about 17 iPhones and I a few conversation broke out. I heard one guy say he had ordered the new iPhone 5 and this women said yeah, we upgraded too. This other older lady said my husband and I will be new to the iPhone. I asked why did you guys get an iPhone, she said well all our kids and grand kids have them, so we decided we'd get one too. The old man was like I am going to have to learn how to text.

This ad by Samsung will have VERY little impact on sales! Even on those that still haven't made a jump. I think it boils down to exposure and what the members of your family have already adopted.

Just because the ads are in English doesn't mean it wouldn't appear else where. You seem to forget we have the internet now.

Word of mouth isn't everything. If that's the case there's no point to advertising new products or alternative to anything already on the market.

These Ads will get some people to go take a look (both new buyers and existing smartphone owners). And if the product is any good (btw it's not bad at all to use) there will be some takers.

From there if you keep churning out good stuff you build your own brand. Isn't that how the Japanese car became popular in North America? By offering different but useful specs and building their own customer base?

spacebetween
I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 and also use an iPad2 and MacBook Air. So here is my take and probably a different perspective as one who has never owned an iPhone.
Samsung phone has only one attribute that I would miss when I move to an iPhone 5 and that is the swipe feature where i can just take my finger from one word to another for quick text input. But let me tell you why I am dumping my 9 month old SGS2 for an iPhone 5 when an unlocked one is sold by Apple which I plan to use on the T-mobile network because my city i already opened up for 3G and by middle of next year will have LTE compatible with AT&T iPhone 5.
1. The camera and video feature of iPhones is very superior to the Samsung Galaxy. I have compared photos taken at the same time with my phone and my friend's 4S.
2. The quality of Apps in the Android have a far less functionality than those in the iOs environment.
3. User data privacy just does not exist in the Android domain. I end up buying Apps on my iPad and running my SGS2 in hot spot mode.
4. Operating system updates are a nightmare. It takes a year or more for updates to the software depending on the manufacturer. Samsung does a lousy job. Apple updates are smooth and trouble free and cover all its family of products.
5. The hardware and software integration in the iPhone is incomparable to any phone in the market, including Samsung Galaxy family.
6. Battery life is a joke. I can never get past a full day without charging. I do not play games or watch movies. I just have 4G and Wi-Fi on. I end up having my phone connected all night, while driving and at work too. Battery drain for the large screen is horrendous.
7. Finally, every time I buy an App I know my data is sold because I am constantly getting spam text messages and phone calls. I thus avoid buying any Apps in the Android market.

I am thus keenly waiting for Apple to sell unlocked phones which I will buy at full price and use on the T-mobile network.

I'm changing over from an S2 as well. Another bonus? I won't have to hear, and everyone in a 10 foot radius won't have to hear, the annoying, loud shutter sound of the camera every time I take a photo.

inscrewtable
Strangely enough the slim sleek black iPhone looks better in the ad than the outdated curved design of the Samsung (so 2007), especially with a photo of the El Alemein fountain. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Alamein_Fountain)

Also the lack of bloatware features contribute to the minimal iPhone look. I can't see this ad doing any more than swaying someone who intended to buy a Samsung to have a better look at the iPhone.

This is a rather witless and childish ad from Samsung and Apple's best reply is simply to sit back and have a hearty guffaw which I'm sure has already happened.

I'm sure that Apple's advertising agency is already having some private fun making mock reply ads.

doelcm82
Sep 15, 2012, 11:46 PM

Good parody (parity), but can you manage to turn on the iPhone and turn the Samsung phone off?

Swift
Sep 15, 2012, 11:47 PM

Sheer numbers? No. For years, Windows' numbers were inflated by the very monopolistic tactics today employed by Google for Android. But something made like an Apple product was "supposed" by these people to be doomed not to sell. Wrong.

Today, Android sells a lot more phones than Apple. Of vastly varying quality. Premium phones? Yes. Crap phones you find in a crackerjack box? Yes. They have to whore to the networks, and Android lets all the hardware guys muck up the system too. What percentage are going to be updated? When are we going to get actual sales number instead of "shipped"?

The iPhone 5 will still be there for a year. Everybody knows what it's like already, since each iPhone has been an improvement over the last. Everybody updates, and it's always easy to do so. This makes for a loyal audience that is still growing.

I guess they write ads like this 'cause they got butt-hurt over the copying.

OTACORB
Sep 15, 2012, 11:48 PM
Word of mouth isn't everything. If that's the case there's no point to advertising new products or alternative to anything already on the market.

These Ads will get some people to go take a look (both new buyers and existing smartphone owners). And if the product is any good (btw it's not bad at all to use) there will be some takers.

From there if you keep churning out good stuff you build your own brand. Isn't that how the Japanese car became popular in North America? By offering different but useful specs and building their own customer base?

It isn't everything, but it plays a huge role in what phone people pick.

Again it boils down to does this phone and android offer current iPhone users enough to switch? There will be some folks that decide they don't want a smart phone and go back to a standard flip phone with no advertising.

The point is you have to give someone that is already tied into a pretty damn good ecosystem reason to switch, Samsung with the GS3 doesn't in my opinion do it. Sure there will be some folks that switch, but sales number will show not many, not many at all.

southbark
Are legal system is Samsungs savior in this battle. It takes years for cases to go to court and by the time the case against the s3 go to the jury they will have the next generation of phone on the market

G51989
Proves Samsung is worried.

They should be.

iPhone 5 is coming...

Why are they worried?

Despite the iPhone, they are the number 1 smart phone builder in the world.

CrAkD
Sep 15, 2012, 11:50 PM

yours is awesome haha mine sucks by comparison.

fertilized-egg
Sep 15, 2012, 11:50 PM
At least Samsung has improved their attack ad quality greatly.

A few years back in Korea around 2009, there was an ad campaign touting the virtues of Samsung's Omnia Windows Mobile phone against iPhone. One of the "pros" listed for the Samsung was how great resistive touch screen technology is over capacitive because you can use your fingernail. Seriously, resistive screen, fingernail.

mmomega
Sep 15, 2012, 11:51 PM
What does the S stand for?

alexxxhp
Sep 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
Sucks

Eugene-DL
Sep 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
A totally different plug? Why not copy it then, Samsung?

http://cdn.iphoneaddict.fr/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Samsung_VS_Apple_Dock_Connector.jpg
I bet Samsung already forgot about what they did to the 30-Pin connector...

iZac
Sep 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
If Samsung, MS, Sony, Google, Motorola or anyone else does sleazy marketing its petty and pathetic
If Apple does sleazy advertising its art

Its an ad and it does make a point whether we accept it or not so why the heck is anyone offended? Just because we prefer Apple products doesnt mean competition shouldnt exist.

Yeah Apple isn't beneath this kind of advertising either; case in point. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQa2vLa_A3Q) Though at least apple's ones are done with a sense of humour :P

Huracan
Sep 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Come on! It is so obvious that they just had to come with a list that was longer than the other side ;) They could have put anything, it doesn't matter if it is smart this, or palm that, it could have been the Samsung phone is so huge that you can block the view to your nose while you're picking on it ;) I think it is mostly about the visual, one list had to be longer than the other. Some people had already pointed out about the Samsung showing some image on the display and the iPhone showing a black screen. I think this is all part of the visual tricks to move people away from choosing an iPhone.

All in all we have to appreciate that the iPhone might not be for everyone, and perhaps the Samsung phone is cheaper (literally and figuratively). For many years there have been laptop PC and Mac laptops and if money is no barrier I think I know what most people would like to buy.

makingdots
Sep 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
To people who commented on first page.. Feel free to edit your post with this image.

https://img.skitch.com/20120916-uw9npcr3828twpcs2huunphtq.jpg

WakeUpDrunk
Sep 15, 2012, 11:56 PM
Read ad

LOL'd

Then checked order status for iPhone 5

No thanks Samsung (:

faroZ06
Sep 15, 2012, 11:56 PM
Why are they worried?

The iPhone 5 brings a lot of the hardware features like LTE and a larger screen. Hardware features are what Samsung pushes as innovative. The iPhone 5 has the best of both worlds it seems. The $1G lawsuit is pretty intimidating, too.

subsonix
Sep 15, 2012, 11:57 PM
The issue here is that the s3 is not new, everybody already knows about it, and this bullet point list is not likely to change anyones mind who already decided.

alexxxhp
Sep 15, 2012, 11:58 PM
true Samsung Galaxy is the poman iPhone. since they can't get one they b!!@ about the ones who can... But if they had the mula they would have iPhones...... Don't hate the iphone hate samsung for not thinking of it....

rdlink
Rule #1 of advertising:

Never advertise backwards. Frontrunners don't mention second place in their ads.

macosxuser01
What does the S stand for?
Sucks
Lmao! or *****y

cotak
Sep 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
It isn't everything, but it plays a huge role in what phone people pick.

Again it boils down to does this phone and android offer current iPhone users enough to switch? There will be some folks that decide they don't want a smart phone and go back to a standard flip phone with no advertising.

The point is you have to give someone that is already tied into a pretty damn good ecosystem reason to switch, Samsung with the GS3 doesn't in my opinion do it. Sure there will be some folks that switch, but sales number will show not many, not many at all.

There are many people on this forum who have switched. lots of people are talking about the new windows phones as well. So clearly there are reasons enough for some people.

The eco-system that people keep talking about it important but it's not a set of hand cuffs.

A lot of power users jail break and side load apps they didn't pay for so the Apps aspect isn't as powerful for people who are seriously knowledgable about phones. Those people are much more likely to switch and they will then tell people what they like about the other devices.

The rest of the eco-system is well a big question mark in reality. A lot of what people like to do online is platform and eco system agnostic. Facebook being a major example. Yes there are now more integration with iOS but some of it is just catch up with Android. And Facebook isn't stupid enough to only offer features for iOS either.

I don't know maybe you use a lot more of what apple offers but I have made it a policy to not have anything important (such as ebooks, i have gone to ebooks for all my technical literature) in a closed eco-system. Cause I don't want to be locked in. I don't want to be restricted to only being able to access my stuff on Apple's gear.

linkgx1
Sep 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
One thing I hate about Samsung is the constant comparison to Apple. I think they needs to work on more lifestyle ads than a Sega does what Nintendont ad.

G51989
The iPhone 5 brings a lot of the hardware features like LTE and a larger screen. Hardware features are what Samsung pushes as innovative. The iPhone 5 has the best of both worlds it seems. The $1G lawsuit is pretty intimidating, too.

So, the iPhone 5 brings features that high end Android and Windows handsets have had for 2 years now is what your saying?

The 1B billion dollar lawsuit you mean. And Samsung will most likely appeal the hell out of everything, won't pay anywhere close to 1 billion dollars, and this will be dragged out for years in a big boring story.

faroZ06
true Samsung Galaxy is the poman iPhone. since they can't get one they b!!@ about the ones who can... But if they had the mula they would have iPhones...... Don't hate the iphone hate samsung for not thinking of it....

The base model Galaxy costs the same as the base model iPhone.

tkwolf
Sep 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
I love my iPhone but even with how low this ad seems for samsung, they're simply pointing out the obvious. I know that ad's going to anger a lot of apple lovers especially the fan boys, but i ain't even mad. I'm just going to sit tight and see the post august tragedy sequel roll out with a popcorn on my hand.

wikus
The difference is that Apple makes a complete platform, compiler, programming language, operating system and hardware. Samsung is just an OEM, what makes them significantly different from any other Android handset?

Apple showed general example use cases in those ads, Samsung could never do that because non of those bullet points would be very appealing when presented as a use case.

Wrong.

Apple doesnt make any hardware, they dont even put it together as foxconn does.

Processor: Intel
RAM: Samsung,Hynnix or other
Screens: Sharp/LG
DVD: Sony etc
Graphics: Nvidia/AMD
Motherboard: Intel

This is of course for their laptops but I know for *sure* apple outsources a lot of their components, beginning with the camera as its made by Sony. The A6 processor is the only thing that apple could somewhat call their own.

Doesnt matter, too many people apple credit when theyre not due.

iphonefan74
Is this a joke? Smart Stay? S-Beam? ShareShot? Group Cast? Direct Call? Smart Alert? Tilt to Zoom? Palm Swipe Capture? Palm Touch Mute Pause? Picture in Picture? Turn Over to Mute? Shake to Update? Are you kidding me? Oh right, I just can't wait to buy a Galaxy S III, because it has Palm Touch Mute Pause! Seriously, where would the world be without Palm Touch Mute Pause?

Samsung -- those features sound so boring and pointless, not to mention the fact that no one who sees the ad will have any idea what those things are! Advertising Tilt to Zoom as a major feature that makes the Galaxy S III better than the iPhone 5 would be like if Apple advertised Slide to Unlock in newspapers.

And what new features has Apple come up with the last few years? The last few were rip offs of Android. The notification bar and Siri. At least Samsung is creating new features never seen on a phone, Apple is doing nothing but taking others ideas and features

KPOM
Um. The courts sided with Apple in, what, one court out of about 20? lol.

Apple = US company = US advantage. Rest of the world sees the BS Apple sues over.

Apple has won in Germany and the Netherlands, as well. Plus, so far Apple has won monetary damages. Samsung hasn't.

And I don't think that a jury in the US is necessarily biased toward an American company. There is a lot of anti-Apple bias in this country, as evidenced by the comments you'll see on any tech site. Sure, California is the home of Apple, but it's also the home of Google, who supplied Samsung with the OS they use.

Rot'nApple
Sep 16, 2012, 12:03 AM
Another comparison Samsung forgot to add in their Apple / Samsung ad...

Innovate plus $1 Billion / Imitate minus $1 Billion :rolleyes::D:apple:
/
/

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
what base model iPhone you mean 16gb thats a base model ok if you say so If you think about it that way, the home edition or the pro? or just osx

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
And what new features has Apple come up with the last few years? The last few were rip offs of Android. The notification bar and Siri. At least Samsung is creating new features never seen on a phone, Apple is doing nothing but taking others ideas and features

Siri was not a copy of Android. Android had basic voice recognition, but so did iOS before Siri.

Apple designed a brand new CPU for the iPhone 5 (AnandTech confirmed it). They also are the first to have an in-cell touch technology to allow thinner screens.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
So, the iPhone 5 brings features that high end Android and Windows handsets have had for 2 years now is what your saying?

The 1B billion dollar lawsuit you mean. And Samsung will most likely appeal the **** out of everything, won't pay anywhere close to 1 billion dollars, and this will be dragged out for years in a big boring story.

It doesn't matter if Samsung already had it. The iPhone now has it. People are now deciding between an LTE iPhone and an LTE Samsung phone. The iPhone already has a clear advantage in its OS. I'm not trying to pick a side in who should win the consumers over, but the consumers aren't going to complain that their iPhone 5's predecessor did not have LTE and other hardware features that the S3 already had.

The significance of the lawsuit is not the 1 billion dollars. That's not much money for Samsung or Apple. Their phones could get blocked in the US or at least get bad reputation in the US.

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
Wrong.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/15/apple-a6-processor-a-custom-apple-design-prioritizing-performance-and-power-efficiency/

They make the phone hardware as opposed to say Android which is an OS where others make the handsets, no one is not using components from other suppliers. Does news papers make their news papers, no a printing house does, now take away the work that the news paper does, and you end up with a blank paper. See where the value is coming from ?

applefanDrew
Wrong.

Processor: Intel
RAM: Samsung,Hynnix or other
Screens: Sharp/LG
DVD: Sony etc
Graphics: Nvidia/AMD
Motherboard: Intel

This is of course for their laptops but I know for *sure* apple outsources a lot of their components, beginning with the camera as its made by Sony. The A6 processor is the only thing that apple could somewhat call their own.

Doesnt matter, too many people apple credit when theyre not due.

Well, if you look at it like that then none of the big companies make their own hardware...

Rad99004
I'm looking forward to all the comparison reviews.

I would like to see a picture of a iPhone 5 next to the S3 with an app running.

The new stretched screen is my only disappointment. :(

The only benefit i can see is more room for iAds.

For me the new iPhone 5s (s=stretch) is a pass.

If the S3 was running IOS i would buy it.

tkwolf
Sep 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

Who wouldn't be? When you have a company out to get anything non apple out there with patents that should not even be patented. Eveen Wozniac disagrees on the samsung-apple verdict

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:08 AM
Siri was not a copy of Android. Android had basic voice recognition, but so did iOS before Siri.

Apple did not even make Siri.

charlituna
More like

So does Samsung

Rogifan
I've started using the hash tag #TheNextBigThing to talk about how excited I am for my new iPhone 5. All iPhone fans should to the same! "Borrow" their slogan.

Done. :D

Lancer
Sep 16, 2012, 12:09 AM
I remember when people didn't even know Apple still exist. It's so stupid when i hear that excuse because Apple was literally in the **** hole and rose all they way to the top.

Or those how still think of the original iMac when you say Apple, or worse still the likes of the Mac Plus :rolleyes:

Now it's the most valuable company in the world, the iPhone alone brings in more cash than most other companies in the world. Its so important that it's expected to help the US JDP in the coming year.

alexxxhp
lets see the price for Galaxy $599.90 and iPhone "base model" $649 ok I see what you mean...

flameproof

In my place the contract free S3 is about $130 cheaper then the iPhone 5.

One more in favor for the S3: In my place you can go and buy a S3. For the iPhone 5 you have to wait, or line up every morning in front of the Apple Store, or join the daily lucky draw. i4 or i4s you can just go and buy though.

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 12:10 AM
Well, if you look at it like that then none of the big companies make their own hardware...

We're talking about Apple, not 'other companys'

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 12:12 AM
oh and if you wait a month or so you might get the Galaxy S3 buy 1 get 1 free special they end up with because they always get overstocked and can't move the merchandise.....

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 12:14 AM

The comment is probably made for you to understand how this works. Buy a Sony TV, does it include Sony components exclusively, no! Does Sony makes their own TVs, yes.

wickedking94
Sep 16, 2012, 12:15 AM
Honestly it all boils down to samsung being ******** about the patent infringement stuff.

goinskiing
More RAM and more cores does not a faster phone make. There are so many more variables involved, some measurable and some a little more vague to measure. Unless the software can utilize the cores efficiently it does not matter how many cores one has. More cores generally means less speed per core and the single core operations take a hit. There's also bus speed and width, NAND controller and NAND speeds. OS overhead play a big part too. Someone mentioned how Apple has control over the combination of hardware and software whereas Samsung didn't develop Android, Apple knows exactly the fine tuning required on both ends and can adjust accordingly. But the whole more RAM and more cores reminds me a lot of the great megapixel misleading of the camera companies.

Technarchy
Why are they worried?

90% of which is third world, food stamps specials, which is where android thrives.

faroZ06
If the S3 was running IOS i would buy it.

You want an even more stretched screen? (By a hair, the S3 screen is proportionately longer than the iPhone's screen.)

KPOM
Apple did not even make Siri.

So what? Google didn't even make Android. Companies buy IP all the time and refine it. Apple bought the company and made improvements.

zeesix
Sep 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
Not sure how successful such an ad will be. For me, their first bullet point is the #1 reason that I wouldn't get the Samsung. I don't want an 4.8 screen, I want a phone, not a tablet.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:17 AM
what base model iPhone you mean 16gb thats a base model ok if you say so If you think about it that way, the home edition or the pro? or just osx

There is no OSX, Home Edition, or Pro for Samsung or Apple phones. :confused:

GQB
More like

Right... Because rolling over for thieves worked out so well in the 90's.

smann93
How many different Samsung chargers actually 18 different but this kit only has 17 of them. Courtesy of "get over your self". Have a great day!

Technarchy
Sep 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
Not sure how successful such an ad will be. For me, their first bullet point is the #1 reason that I wouldn't get the Samsung. I don't want an 4.8 screen, I want a phone, not a tablet.

Keep in mind Samsung ran similar ads last year with the GSII and it didn't help. The 4S still smashed sales records and was the best selling phone on all carriers for the next 8 months in the USA.

wikus
Read ad

LOL'd

Then checked order status for iPhone 5

No thanks Samsung (:

Youre reasoning is that of a follower; because the sales are due to others buying, it means you must have one too?

Interesting.

alexxxhp
Love this version of the add.. Don't forget to mention the os called ice cream sandwich samsung left it out because people might think it's dairy queen add.

subsonix

Agreed, the size doesn't make sense for a phone.

flameproof
Sep 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
To people who commented on first page.. Feel free to edit your post with this image.

If you want to beat the S3 stick to the dry facts.

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
Who wouldn't be? When you have a company out to get anything non apple out there with patents that should not even be patented. Eveen Wozniac disagrees on the samsung-apple verdict

Patent disputes aren't unique to Apple. Check the patent number on just about every drug you buy. We in the US issue far more patents than the rest of the world. Samsung is attempting to use patents against Apple. Unfortunately for them, most of Samsung's are standards-essential patents that must be licensed on FRAND terms.

Anyway, the S3 was specifically designed to work around Apple's patents. Plus, it has supposedly been the "next best thing that's already here" for the last 3 months. Clearly Samsung is worried that in direct competition it is about to be smoked by Apple's new device.

BlazednSleepy
Sep 16, 2012, 12:20 AM
I think its time apple started a new wave of ads

"Hi I'm an iPhone"

"Hi I'm an _____"

wikus

Worked well for Apple when they ripped off Xerox.... Jobs even admitted it himself.

Uh-oh, did I just state a fact that puts Apple in a negative light? Why, yes. Yes I did.

the Otter
Apple: Best Customer Service in the Industry
Samsung: Worst Customer Service in the Universe

Apple: Will work for years and years
Samsung: Will break within about a week, at which point we’ll have you send it in, claim we never received it, keep it for three years, send it back to you still broken, and refuse to fix it because now it’s out of warranty.

(The weed on the Samsung’s desktop also makes it look like it has a broken screen. Just sayin’.)

faroZ06
So what? Google didn't even make Android. Companies buy IP all the time and refine it. Apple bought the company and made improvements.

It's just that there's no way Apple copied Siri from Android, only small features of it possibly.

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 12:21 AM
no but there is Ice cream sandwich (Android) latest os. What the @#$@ are they thinking when they name the os updates after food...... Must be the Jelly bean update..... google and there crazy A@# names.....

Samsung needs their own os to stand next to Apple and compete..... They really should invest in that.... its better for them....

flameproof
How many different Samsung chargers actually 18 different but this kit only has 17 of them.

It's not true. The new phones use microSIM. So does HTC. So does Nokia. So does my Sony e-ink reader.

faroZ06
Apple: Best Customer Service in the Industry
Samsung: Worst Customer Service in the Universe

Apple: Will work for years and years
Samsung: Will break within about a week, at which point we’ll have you send it in, claim we never received it, keep it for three years, send it back to you still broken, and refuse to fix it because now it’s out of warranty.

(The weed on the Samsung’s desktop also makes it look like it has a broken screen. Just sayin’.)

Worst customer service? No, that would be those sleazy Chinese knockoff companies.

qwarthon
what about the iphone 6 and samsung galaxy S 4?

G51989
90% of which is third world, food stamps specials, which is where android thrives.

I highly doubt that. Unless you have a source to back up your claims.

cclloyd
Sep 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
Half of the extra features are useless, 1/4 are planned by apple according to rumors, and the other 1/4 are available to jb. The other 1/4 is already available if you're jailbroken.

Why remove quality for features that you can just jailbreak for?

Also why would you ever need to remove the battery?

wikus
Love this version of the add.. Don't forget to mention the os called ice cream sandwich samsung left it out because people might think it's dairy queen add.

Does it matter what its called? No. It could be called '3 month old soggy goat milk' it still doesnt change the function of the product.

Just like the ridiculous 'retina' marketing term by apple.

G51989
It doesn't matter if Samsung already had it. The iPhone now has it. People are now deciding between an LTE iPhone and an LTE Samsung phone. The iPhone already has a clear advantage in its OS. I'm not trying to pick a side in who should win the consumers over, but the consumers aren't going to complain that their iPhone 5's predecessor did not have LTE and other hardware features that the S3 already had.

The significance of the lawsuit is not the 1 billion dollars. That's not much money for Samsung or Apple. Their phones could get blocked in the US or at least get bad reputation in the US.

Well, Android handsets outsell the iPhone by a huge margin, and Android has welel over 50% of the marketshare.

The majority of consumers have spoken, they picked Android.

stevo505
Sep 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
LOL, Apple fanboys don't even care about the facts anymore.
Samsung sold since last May (4 months) more than 20 million Galaxy 3 units:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2012/09/123_119242.html

So apple sold in one week 20 million devices? Please inform me.

Apple is expected to sell 48 million iPhone 5s by January 2013. Blows Samsung out of the water.

Well, Android handsets outsell the iPhone by a huge margin, and Android has welel over 50% of the marketshare.

They didn't just pick one Android phone. They have dozens to choose from. Apple only has one option.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:23 AM

Apple learned a lesson from Microsoft in 1984. Steve Jobs was upset about Android. I remember his "thermonuclear war" quote.

the read
Sep 16, 2012, 12:24 AM
It's all true though.

I agree. Samsung have a much better phone with a more versatile OS.

Samsung Win!

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 12:24 AM
Well, Android handsets outsell the iPhone by a huge margin
What is a "huge margin"?

cotak
Sep 16, 2012, 12:25 AM

It's funny how people always say the big screen is an issue.

We use smartphones for that screen. Otherwise why not buy a cheap flip phone if you don't need a big screen?

I see people looking at their phone more than they do doing anything else. So I think actually big screens is a good thing.

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 12:26 AM

Newsflash! Many people like to put bigger batteries in their phone to get longer battery life. An option you don't even have with an iPhone. I am surprised Samsung didn't list an SD card slot, that's huge.

canucksfan88
Sep 16, 2012, 12:26 AM
its like...mac vs pc

linkgx1
Sep 16, 2012, 12:27 AM

We use smartphones for that screen. Otherwise why not buy a cheap flip phone if you don't need a big screen?

I see people looking at their phone more than they do doing anything else. So I think actually big screens is a good thing.
I think there's a limit though. Just get a tablet after 4.8"!

southbark
Sep 16, 2012, 12:28 AM
This is what apple is hoping for the S3:

http://youtu.be/nEH_ms8d1ws

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nEH_ms8d1ws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

linkgx1
Newsflash! Many people like to put bigger batteries in their phone to get longer battery life. An option you don't even have with an iPhone. I am surprised Samsung didn't list an SD card slot, that's huge.
Yeah until you Can't access some apps or songs because it takes like 5 min for it to load.

the read
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6823327/apple-coasting-keynote-with-christopher-mcdonald

These links sum up everything.

alexxxhp
comparing one company Apple to All other companies Android...... and still apple overcomes all of them put together when if comes to sales..... Hmmm!!!!

7 friends pre ordered iPhone 5 on friday - No longer happy with Samsung.... image that just by using iphone4S decided to jump on board... imagine how many around the world done that :).....

spacebetween
Sep 16, 2012, 12:29 AM

And it's convenient to be able to carry a spare battery in your pocket and just swap it out if you're out and your battery dies.

Two things that I really wish the iPhone had... an SD card slot and a removable battery.

iphonefan74
Apple only has one option.

And that pretty much sums up the iPhone too. No choices or customization

subsonix
What is a "huge margin"?

It's completely false, for any value of "huge" that compares well to the dictionary definition.

Allegrotechie
Probably the worst ad I've ever seen

flameproof
I am surprised Samsung didn't list an SD card slot, that's huge.

It was mentioned in the ad.

pure3d2
Sep 16, 2012, 12:30 AM
Worked well for Apple when they ripped off Xerox.... Jobs even admitted it himself.

Uh-oh, did I just state a fact that puts Apple in a negative light? Why, yes. Yes I did.

Actually, Xerox PARC got compensated with a million dollars worth of pre-IPO Apple stock.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 12:30 AM
Why would Samsung have a huge SD card slot instead of a regular sized HD card slot? That is simply lame...

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 12:31 AM
Here is your Galaxy ice cream sandwich

Ironduke
Thats the style sammy

wikus

First portable apple product I ever owned was a 3rd gen iPod. The battery crapped out on me within 10 months of high usage.

Apple has *always* been notorious for being terribly bad in this department and I would never want another product of theirs where I can't remove and switch the battery at will.

I've got a MyTouch 4G Android phone thats about 2 years old and plan on using it for much longer but all it needs is a new battery. I can get a cheap one for 10 bucks and without having to tear the thing apart just to get to its innards.

I'm surprised you even asked that question.

thasan
Apple lost in Japan and Korea (Korean judge said that both companies used others patents). It was clear that Apple, which is based in the US, would win in US court over Korean based company - Samsung. Anyway, Apple hasn't won yet, they need to go through courts of appeals, which can take years.

It doesn't take a genius to read at the bottom of that ad... Says Samsung mobile USA. It's an ad based on USA and yes, they have been declared a shameless copycat in the USA.

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
Why would Samsung have a huge SD card slot instead of a regular sized HD card slot? That is simply lame...

Ummm, its a micro SD card slot. You know, like the ones every other phone except the iPhone has

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:32 AM

The iPhone 5 has not come out yet. Those consumers have picked the Android phones over the iPhone 4S, which does not have LTE or those other hardware features.

seong
Sep 16, 2012, 12:33 AM
First portable apple product I ever owned was a 3rd gen iPod. The battery crapped out on me within 10 months of high usage.

Apple has *always* been notorious for being terribly bad in this department and I would never want another product of theirs where I can't remove and switch the battery at will.

I've got a MyTouch 4G Android phone thats about 2 years old and plan on using it for much longer but all it needs is a new battery. I can get a cheap one for 10 bucks and without having to tear the thing apart just to get to its innards.

I'm surprised you even asked that question.

Good point, but for whatever the reason, whenever I brought my iDevices (like the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, etc) I never had to pay the full price for battery replacement. They all did it for free, since it was few days before the one year warranty ended.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:34 AM
Just like the ridiculous 'retina' marketing term by apple.

I don't see what's so ridiculous about "retina" for "Our eye retinas cannot see the pixels." What else would they call it, "Super-HD"?

Chris CA
Ummm, its a micro SD card slot.
But it us a HUGE micro SD card slot. Why can't they have a regular size SD card slot (wait a minute? I already post this).
Sorry you cannot read.

linkgx1
comparing one company Apple to All other companies Android...... and still apple overcomes all of them put together when if comes to sales..... Hmmm!!!!

7 friends pre ordered iPhone 5 on friday - No longer happy with Samsung.... image that just by using iphone4S decided to jump on board... imagine how many around the world done that :).....
Apparently not enough considering Samsunng has still sold more phones than Apple worldwide and Android is gaining marketshare

FirePhantom
Sep 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
"Palm Touch Mute Pause"

LOLWUT?

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
Good point, but for whatever the reason, whenever I brought my iDevices (like the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, etc) I never had to pay the full price for battery replacement. They all did it for free, since it was few days before the one year warranty ended.

And if it were past your warranty, you would probably be pretty pissed when they said sorry, you have to buy a new one.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:36 AM

Why would Apple not have any card slot at all? That is simply lame. It's the one hardware feature on Android phones that I wish my iPhone had.

thasan
Sep 16, 2012, 12:37 AM

How about a 40 inch tv on ur ear then? It's all about usability. Some like siii but for some it's way too big. Siii can do in a handbag but I won't try to put it in a jeans pocket.... Or even on an armband when running :p

Liquorpuki

You dont have to mfg every single component in your product to have made it. That's not what design engineering is.

If you use that standard, only component manufacturers would get credit and the engineers that actually integrate everything into a cohesive system via circuit design, software, etc get no credit.

Even that Intel motherboard has third party components soldered to it. Same for the PCB inside that Sony DVD player

Chris CA
Trolls seem to be out in extreme amounts tonight.
Samsung must be paying bonuses for trolling...

linkgx1
"Palm Touch Mute Pause"

LOLWUT?
For a minute I was like, YA! Palm is back!

xStep

Apple did pay for the privilege to take that work and improve upon. Steve Also said it was flawed and incomplete. Here is a good clip on that subject; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMeFh37mCE

Reach9
Sep 16, 2012, 12:38 AM
Regarding the advertisement, i think Samsung is pulling a good one. Will be interesting to see if it works!
But it begs the question.. if it's the next big thing then why do you have to tell us that it's the next big thing?

G51989
Sep 16, 2012, 12:39 AM
The iPhone 5 has not come out yet. Those consumers have picked the Android phones over the iPhone 4S, which does not have LTE or those other hardware features.

So your saying the iPhone will overtake Android in marketshare? Despite 1.3 million a day being sold and activated?

zorpit
Sep 16, 2012, 12:40 AM
I don't dislike the competition on the advertising front, but this ad is a little too simple. Just a side by side list of some features favoring Samsung. It's not funny or clever.

Lancer
Sep 16, 2012, 12:40 AM
I think its time apple started a new wave of ads

"Hi I'm an iPhone"

"Hi I'm an _____"

Oh I like this, love to see Justin Long do more of them :)

azerila
Sep 16, 2012, 12:41 AM
After they have done with copying, and failure in court ....,
now they are testing another way of cheating and fraud ,
samsunG is never ever comparable with Apple ,cause there is a long time
they've been busy with making Washing machines , refrigerators (the device that Galaxy S3 inspired by) , vacuum cleaners and this kinda stuff,. ...
just imagine what samsung would be if Google kept Android for itself , and didn't give it to other companies, without Android All of them (samsung,HTC, and..) have nothing to say, exactly like Nokia.
There is much more to say about Apple and its competitors(rest of the world)
but Apple fans know that Apple is different.

cotak
How about a 40 inch tv on ur ear then? It's all about usability. Some like siii but for some it's way too big. Siii can do in a handbag but I won't try to put it in a jeans pocket.... Or even on an armband when running :p

I think you'll find the length matters more than the width. And on that front the new iphone 5 is just as long as other phones for all intent and purpose.

Personally, I have never found it comfortable to put the iphone 4 in a pair of jeans or tight pants so I think smaller size is bit of a moot point in terms of W and H. Thickness and weight is another story. For slacks I find the weight of the iphone was actually making it presence much more obvious than the larger size of the galaxy nexus.

G51989
How about voicing one's opinion? There's nothing wrong with people having different opinions than you.
This is MacRumors, not Apple Fan Site. I think people with Android devices can still participate in rumor related discussions.

Indeed.

Lots of Android users, like myself. We have Android phones, but we also own Macs,

linkgx1
Sep 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
So your saying the iPhone will overtake Android in marketshare? Despite 1.3 million a day being sold and activated?

Lol!

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 12:42 AM

Yeah but after the warranty is up, youre screwed. It reminds me of Sony Minidisc recorders; they were easily the best portable players until proper mp3 players came out from the likes of Cowon/iAudio. Sound quality was great, battery life was awesome, it was digital, could record from any source, discs were small and far more durable than regular CDs due to the shell and the gumstick batteries lasted a long time and were priced very well.

The problem?

Planned obsolescence. Just like iDevices.

A lot of those minidisc recorders crapped out just after the warranty. And just like the Sony MD, iPods and all of their other devices usually start to crap out after about a year, the battery just doesnt hold up. Typically the batteries last about 300-400 charges before battery life starts going downhill. With normal usage, charging once a day gets close to the 400 charge cycle after about a year.... after that..... like I said, your screwed.

That reason alone has made me look at portable apple devices in disgust as I've experienced this bull***t from them first hand. Its left a bitter taste that I will never forget. (on top of the battery going bad, the hard drive in my iPod failed too). It was the worst experience I've ever had.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:43 AM

Apple did rip off Xerox's basic idea of a GUI OS. They paid compensation.

Microsoft ripped off the entire Mac GUI.

Google and Samsung copied the "look and feel" from iOS. It's still nothing compared to what Microsoft did.

cotak
Sep 16, 2012, 12:43 AM
After they have done with copying, and failure in court ....,
now they are testing another way of cheating and fraud ,
samsunG is never ever comparable with Apple ,cause there is a long time
they've been busy with making Washing machines , refrigerators (the device that Galaxy S3 inspired by) , vacuum cleaners and this kinda stuff,. ...
just imagine what samsung would be if Google kept Android for itself , and didn't give it to other companies, without Android All of them (samsung,HTC, and..) have nothing to say, exactly like Nokia.
There is much more to say about Apple and its competitors(rest of the world)
but Apple fans know that Apple is different.

Thinks like middle eastern protestors much?

Seriously, don't take an ad personally. Most ads twist the truth. You'll have heart failure from all the "Well I never!" if you react like that to all ads. Which I doubt you do. So why do you think you react as such to this one?

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 12:44 AM
Apple did rip off Xerox's basic idea of a GUI OS.
Xerox/Parc said you can use or ideas and Apple paid them...
How is that "ripping off" anyone?

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 12:44 AM
Apparently not enough considering Samsunng has still sold more phones than Apple worldwide and Android is gaining marketshare

cool what is the market share please explain the little pie that you look at and thinks those numbers are correct.... It's called marketing..... Just like every network says the same thing on all their adds the largest network in the nation bla bla bla.....
but the fact is everywhere you go you see people with iphone and a few with androids but when you ask do you like android they say it's ok ...... you ask the same question to an iphone customer different response... it's great...... also as a developer for multiple games and apps ask the same questions to app developer, which is much better to code for and they all say the same thing iphone is much better..... It just works

SockRolid
Sep 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
Samsung could have just taken out an ad with this copy:

"Sure, we're losers. But that doesn't mean we can't be bitter."

J.acks
Sep 16, 2012, 12:47 AM
Samsung is going all out in hitting Apple iPhone 5. It's kind of sad to see the iPhone 5 but Samsung is very bias about it.

Apple manage to upgrade every single of their hardware yet keep it small and light but taller.

I won't call that innovation of new design but still it's quite something.

Rafagon
Sep 16, 2012, 12:47 AM
You are so scared of Apple and it shows so well!

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
Stafan Jobes is getting desperate.

foodle
Sep 16, 2012, 12:50 AM
Pointless waste of money on Samsung's part. People don't choose iPhone over Galaxy III due to specs. People choose iPhone for the UX.

This will just serve to roil up the rabid Android fanboys and confuse regular customers. Just shows how little Samsung understands the customers they are trying to attract.

Dammit Cubs
Sep 16, 2012, 12:51 AM
someone's bitter...

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
Pointless waste of money on Samsung's part.
Not really. Simply because of this advertisement, I am SERIOUSLY thinking of switching to a Samsung Android phone.

azerila
Thinks like middle eastern protestors much?

Seriously, don't take an ad personally. Most ads twist the truth. You'll have heart failure from all the "Well I never!" if you react like that to all ads. Which I doubt you do. So why do you think you react as such to this one?

it's not your business

Chris CA
Not really. Simply because of this advertisement, I am SERIOUSLY thinking of switching to a Samsung Android phone.
Really, I am.
No, seriously...

musio
Sep 16, 2012, 12:53 AM
If only samsung made the hardware and Apple made the software..

smann93
Sep 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
It's not true. The new phones use microSIM. So does HTC. So does Nokia. So does my Sony e-ink reader.

Good job that is their current plugin. Thank you please try again.

chrismarle
Guys, while I was doing my own mockup of their ad, I went on their website and noticed something...

Samsung can't even provide the right talk time on their ad. 11.4hrs is pure fiction. Nowhere it's written 11.4hrs. We have 8hrs (AT&T), 8hrs (T-Mo) 9hrs (Sprint) and 17hrs (Verizon). I thought they put the average number and that number is 10.5hrs, not 11.4hrs.

So, where the hell did they got that?

wikus
People choose iPhone for the UX.

This might have been true some years ago, but not anymore.

North Americans are brand obsessed and will stop at nothing to show their connection to a logo as if to add meaning to their character. Why do you think people flock to starbucks when theres a superior privately owned coffee shop down the street?

Do you really think those numbers indicate that people chose iphones purely for their UX?

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
Ironically we all know that internally Samsung refers to the difference as that of heaven an earth, where iPhone is heaven. They should have been more honest about their true feelings in the ad. :D

evansls
for ***** and giggle's, this was my response

http://phillihp.com/2012/09/16/samsung-attacks-iphone-5-with-new-advertisement/

Chris CA
I simply have nothing against Apple or Samsung.
Me either.
There are plenty of stupid people on both sides of the aisle who make idiotic statements.

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 12:56 AM
Let's be honest, the only reason the iPhone even sells is because of iTunes. It doesn't sell for the use of syncing between it and a Mac computer since the vast majority of people in the US own PCs. It doesn't sell for the screen size or the specs because there are larger phones out there with better specs. The only reason it sells is because too many people think itunes is the only way to get multimedia to their phones and they are heavily invested in it. The iPod got everyone tied into iTunes and the iPhone just followed right along. If it weren't for people being so attached to iTunes, iPhone with the small screen and inferior specs wouldn't even be in the top 5 selling smartphones.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 12:56 AM
You are so scared of Apple and it shows so well!

Apple is scared of Samsung. Everyone is afraid and should always be afraid of their competitors or else they'll end up like Microsoft, upsetting people who are forced to use terrible products made by a successful company.

pure3d2
Sep 16, 2012, 12:57 AM
Yeah but after the warranty is up, youre screwed. It reminds me of Sony Minidisc recorders; they were easily the best portable players until proper mp3 players came out from the likes of Cowon/iAudio. Sound quality was great, battery life was awesome, it was digital, could record from any source, discs were small and far more durable than regular CDs due to the shell and the gumstick batteries lasted a long time and were priced very well.

The problem?

Planned obsolescence. Just like iDevices.

A lot of those minidisc recorders crapped out just after the warranty. And just like the Sony MD, iPods and all of their other devices usually start to crap out after about a year, the battery just doesnt hold up. Typically the batteries last about 300-400 charges before battery life starts going downhill. With normal usage, charging once a day gets close to the 400 charge cycle after about a year.... after that..... like I said, your screwed.

That reason alone has made me look at portable apple devices in disgust as I've experienced this bull***t from them first hand. Its left a bitter taste that I will never forget. (on top of the battery going bad, the hard drive in my iPod failed too). It was the worst experience I've ever had.

Dude, you sound so bitter because your iPod battery crapped out on you. Had it really been 10 months in, it would have been covered under warranty. Were you rude and full of inflammatory words when you brought it in for service? Even if Apple wouldn't replace it, you could get the credit card company to (most cards like American Express give you 1 year of extended warranty on most purchases).

When the warranty runs out on a product, you're out of luck. That's with any company.

While we're on the subject of out of warranty service, I can tell you that I've brought my wife's MacBook in for service after the warranty expired. I was patient and polite with the store workers and when they couldn't help me, I asked for a manager.

Even though it was out of warranty, I ended up getting it serviced free of charge--they overnighted it to the repair center and then had it back 2 days later.

Just this past Tuesday, my sister's son accidentally dropped her iPad 3, which was cracked to the point of being harmful for a child to use. She called Apple and told them about it. After speaking which a manager, he offered to replace it free of charge. It was sent in on Wednesday; the replacement came back on Friday.

I don't know of any other company that treats their customers this well, do you?

Based on the tone of most of your posts, you seem like a difficult and argumentative person. Perhaps you could have gotten your iPod replaced had you carried yourself with a better attitude, just saying.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 12:57 AM
Let's be honest, the only reason the iPhone even sells is because of iTunes.
There are plenty of people who hate iTunes so based on your assumption, there are plenty of iPhone that are NOT sold simply because of iTunes.

irDigital0l
Sep 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Wow is Apple living in Samsung's head rent free. :D. Has Apple ever mentiond Samsung sepcifically in a keynote or ad?

Samsung Galaxy Tab once.

Tim Cook put it to shame.

subsonix
Let's be honest, the only reason the iPhone even sells is because of iTunes.

Your wrong.

dethmaShine
The fact that they would put all those features on a check-list speaks volumes.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 12:59 AM
Apple is scared of Samsung.
What exactly are they "scared" of?
Samsung ripping them off some more (as has already been proven in court and agreed upon by a jury)?

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 12:59 AM
There are plenty of people who hate iTunes so based on your assumption, there are plenty of iPhone that are NOT sold simply because of iTunes.

Ok, iTunes and the app store

smann93
Sep 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
Your wrong.

Okay, here is another way of saying it. The reason why everyone buys the iPhone is cause the Samsung GS3 doesn't support iTunes.

VivaManchester
Sep 16, 2012, 01:02 AM
:d

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 01:03 AM
Okay, here is another way of saying it. The reason why everyone buys the iPhone is cause the Samsung GS3 doesn't support iTunes.

So what, the premise is clearly false. I know lot's of people who never use iTunes. iPhone changed the mobile phone industry, there are a lot of substance there beyond iTunes, even though I agree it adds value to the whole proposition no doubt.

faroZ06

This logic is just bad... We learned that in 9th grade geometry in case some of the students didn't already know that a=>b does NOT mean !a=>!b.

menithings
Samsung is going to have to be a bit more clever and a lot less sleazy with its print ads if they want to have any tangible negative effect on the iPhone 5 launch, which incidentally is trending to be the biggest in consumer electronics history.

iPadPublisher
Sep 16, 2012, 01:04 AM
This is how Samsung needs to compete, hard and loud. I'm a huge Apple fan and my iPhone 5 is on preorder, so don't mistake my loyalties here.

As an entrepreneur, though, I respect a good fight. Samsung should have been out singing their own praises all along. Fight hard, market harder, innovate like crazy -- don't steal. Let the customers hear your voice.

Good for them for the aggressive stance. They won't ever be getting my business, however.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:05 AM
If it weren't for people being so attached to iTunes, iPhone with the small screen and inferior specs wouldn't even be in the top 5 selling smartphones.
Wait a minute!
You just replied, "Ok, iTunes and the app store".
So they don't buy phones because of specs and screen size but they do buy phones because of iTunes and the App store?

So why do they buy Galaxy Note/SIII/whatever?

Reach9
Sep 16, 2012, 01:05 AM
Wow is Apple living in Samsung's head rent free. :D. Has Apple ever mentiond Samsung sepcifically in a keynote or ad?

I've seen the Samsung logos in keynotes before.

Samsung ripping them off some more (as has already been proven in court and agreed upon by a jury)?

Competition. Everyone is afraid of competitors.

And Samsung has the best shot at being a good competitor to Apple's iPhone.

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 01:06 AM
OK I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing the people here who say they're considering the S III because of THIS ad. Reminds me of the people who list off all the Apple devices they've has or currently use and then go on to trash the company and it's products.

cableguy619
Sep 16, 2012, 01:08 AM
This one?

haha yes thanks!!

flux73
Sep 16, 2012, 01:09 AM
It's like telling a joke. If you have to explain WHY it's funny, it's not. If you have to explain why your product is better, it's not.

This ad shows why Samsung doesn't get it. Tech geeks might buy things based on features. The average consumer (99% of the public) buys what looks nice, feels nice, and is easy to use.

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
What's the name of the phone you created that runs the same OS that you also created?
OH yeah...

Do people not realize that Apple makes the phone AND the OS? I bet if Apple just had to make a phone that only had statistics, it would be 1,000 times better than the GS3.

This ad is so misleading that it's borderline lying.

"iPhone 5 gives you AIDS" should be their slogan in this fear campaign.

LOL!!!! Gotta wear rubber gloves when handling such fine device.....

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
Wait a minute!
You just replied, "Ok, iTunes and the app store".
So they don't buy phones because of specs and screen size but they do buy phones because of iTunes and the App store?

So why do they buy Galaxy Note/SIII/whatever?

Most people buy the the high end Android phones because they have larger screens, SD slots, removable battery and an OS far more open and much easier to customize than iOS

cotak
Sep 16, 2012, 01:11 AM
it's not your business

:D why so serious batman?

maxwelltech
Wow is Apple living in Samsung's head rent free. :D. Has Apple ever mentiond Samsung sepcifically in a keynote or ad?http://touchreviews.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/samsung-misquote-2011-03-02.jpg

Chris CA
No they aren't.
Copying (as has been proven by judge and jury and pretty much admitted to by Samsung) is not competition.
Competition it coming out with compelling products that make people look at both and and see which best fits what they want.
Attempting to copy something and sell it for less is not competition (by any stretch of the imagination).

Rogifan
So what, the premise is clearly false. I know lot's of people who never use iTunes. iPhone changed the mobile phone industry, there are a lot of substance there beyond iTunes, even though I agree it adds value to the whole proposition no doubt.

I can't remember the last time I used it on my phone. I use Spotify and Pandora for my music and iHeart and TuneIn for my radio.

camman564
Sep 16, 2012, 01:14 AM
samsung had me at ios6 ... im sold. iPhone5 it is for me

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:14 AM
It's like telling a joke. If you have to explain WHY it's funny, it's not. If you have to explain why your product is better, it's not.

This ad shows why Samsung doesn't get it.
Agreed. Kinda like the political ads.
Why not show how you shine rather than trying to show why the other guy is so bad? (vote for/buy me because the other guy sucks, not because I am any good)!)

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
samsung had me at ios6 ... im sold. iPhone5 it is for me

well not a hard choice
IOS6 or ICE CREAM SANDWICH (DAIRY QUEEN).

knemonic
Sep 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
It's amazing that they list all these hilarious simple, gimmicky features that I can almost guarantee 90% know maybe 10% of that list exists.

Yet they don't list any of the features that Apple provides. I mean, iCloud, which adds 5gb of free space and allows you to buy 25 extra gbs for $40 a year, about the cost of a 64gb SD card. True you get more gbs but you can't access that data everywhere on multiple devices.

And the removable battery? I mean, if this was an issue, no one would have bout the original iPhone, yet Apple sells more and more iPhones every gen.

Screen capture with your palm? Power and home button screen capture.

The photo sharing thing cracks me up too. You have to have a Galaxy S3 for it to even work. Where with Apple you can share photos with anyone now.

And don't even mention Passbook. You know how many few people are even aware of what NFC is, and then even use it? I am sorry, but I will be using Passbook on Amtrak, you can't use NFC with the S3 on Amtrak. Why? Cause all Amtrak conductors use iPhones.

Shake to update. Ya, you know why they made this a promotable feature? There are so many glitches, they put out so many updates its nessecary to shake the phone at least once a week. I think shake to shuffle or shake to undo makes much more sense, considering you use them, I don't know, every freakin day.

And I don't care if it is a micro usb port. You know how many versions and shapes of usb ports have been around in the last decade? Link (http://img.alibaba.com/photo/399478218/10_Types_USB_Mobile_Phone_Charging_Cable.jpg) How many connectors has Apple had in the last decade up till now? 2

Samsung is a bunch of suits.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:17 AM
I can't remember the last time I used it on my phone. I use Spotify and Pandora for my music and iHeart and TuneIn for my radio.
Pretty sure subsonix was referring to iTunes on the computer which is used for managing media and purchasing and playing music/movies, not iTunes on the iPhone, which is used only for purchases.
You would not use iTunes on your iPhone to play anything

faroZ06
Let's be honest, the only reason the iPhone even sells is because of iTunes. It doesn't sell for the use of syncing between it and a Mac computer since the vast majority of people in the US own PCs. It doesn't sell for the screen size or the specs because there are larger phones out there with better specs. The only reason it sells is because too many people think itunes is the only way to get multimedia to their phones and they are heavily invested in it. The iPod got everyone tied into iTunes and the iPhone just followed right along. If it weren't for people being so attached to iTunes, iPhone with the small screen and inferior specs wouldn't even be in the top 5 selling smartphones.

The syncing is a major advantage. Syncing with Android devices is tricky and can be messy or difficult to do. Without the syncing, iOS would still have some advantages, and the only hardware disadvantage that I care about is the lack of an SD card. If everything was the same as it is now except that iOS did not have syncing, I would just not use either smartphone, but I'd take an iPhone over an Android phone.

Vaughn Felix
SG3 still lags on speed, even with all that horsepower, coz its got all that useless crap running in the background, and the Sasquatch screen looks retarded, they just did that to fit a car battery in there so it can last a full day! ha!

mrfrosty
Sep 16, 2012, 01:18 AM
But it is. VERY.

----------

Step 1. Choose better mates

Step 2. Even after step 1, don't let people use your account. Even people who aren't bigoted idiots like your friend.

'Bigoted idiot' , 'better' mates ? Maybe calling something gay is offensive to you but that does it make it offensive to everyone. What's offensive (to me) is your preaching on how others should take decisions on their life so as not to offend you ! I can live with offence though since I'm a grown up.

wikus
Dude, you sound so bitter because your iPod battery crapped out on you. Had it really been 10 months in, it would have been covered under warranty. Were you rude and full of inflammatory words when you brought it in for service? Even if Apple wouldn't replace it, you could get the credit card company to (most cards like American Express give you 1 year of extended warranty on most purchases).

When the warranty runs out on a product, you're out of luck. That's with any company.

While we're on the subject of out of warranty service, I can tell you that I've brought my wife's MacBook in for service after the warranty expired. I was patient and polite with the store workers and when they couldn't help me, I asked for a manager.

Even though it was out of warranty, I ended up getting it serviced free of charge--they overnighted it to the repair center and then had it back 2 days later.

Just this past Tuesday, my sister's son accidentally dropped her iPad 3, which was cracked to the point of being harmful for a child to use. She called Apple and told them about it. After speaking which a manager, he offered to replace it free of charge. It was sent in on Wednesday; the replacement came back on Friday.

I don't know of any other company that treats their customers this well, do you?

Based on the tone of most of your posts, you seem like a difficult and argumentative person. Perhaps you could have gotten your iPod replaced had you carried yourself with a better attitude, just saying.

I did get it replaced, like i said, it was 10 months in. I'll ignore your assumptions about me being difficult when I brought it in. For the record, it was never brought in, I had to mail it to Apple via a prepaid box they sent me. I was expecting the same experience if I got another apple ipod, so I sold it when it came back fixed. Promised myself I would never deal with non-removable batteries ever again. Its been a great ride since.

The fact that the battery and hard drive died didnt help at all, I lost all of my documents and some school projects I was working on.

Reach9
No they aren't.
Copying (as has been proven by judge and jury and pretty much admitted to by Samsung) is not competition.
Competition it coming out with compelling products that make people look at both and and see which best fits what they want.
Attempting to copy something and sell it for less is not competition (by any stretch of the imagination).

Here's the deal, everyone copies. Apple has copied a lot of things.
Samsung should've just taken the licensing agreement when they were given it.

Also, i truly don't think it was a fair jury. Regardless, Apple would have won.

So yes, everyone is afraid of competition. Apple is afraid of Samsung, Samsung is afraid of Apple.

legacyb4
Sep 16, 2012, 01:20 AM
Funny, I was having that exact discussion with some work colleagues who are Android users. They were trying to rag on the iPhone 5 announcement and just didn't seem to understand that comparing Android to iOS really didn't carry any weight. If they really wanted to compare, they should been comparing their HTC & Samsung Galaxy phones against each other...

Samsung needs to compare themselves to other android devices, not the iPhone, because most iPhone owners don't give a *****.

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 01:20 AM

This ad shows why Samsung doesn't get it. Tech geeks might buy things based on features. The average consumer (99% of the public) buys what looks nice, feels nice, and is easy to use.

And the build quality and look and feel of Samsung's mobile devices is a big FAIL. Example: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/3243546/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review

The S III might be a great phone but I can't get beyond the glossy plastic. It makes the device look really cheap. And the new colors are hideous IMO.

http://www.openbook.co.ke/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Amber-BrownGarnet-Red-Sapphire-Black-and-Titanium-Grey-Galaxy-S3.jpg

norsemen
Sep 16, 2012, 01:21 AM
They forgot this: In term of build quality, the S3 is glass and plastic vs iPhone 5 glass and aluminium.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:23 AM
Most people buy the the high end Android phones because they have larger screens, SD slots, removable battery and an OS far more open and much easier to customize than iOS
Willing to bet that a very small number (<1%? mostly geeks) are concerned (or even know this is possible) about a removable battery or ability to customize the OS. (though there is really no way to prove this).

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 01:23 AM
And the build quality and look and feel of Samsung's mobile devices is a big FAIL. Example: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/3243546/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review

The S III might be a great phone but I can't get beyond the glossy plastic. It makes the device look really cheap. And the new colors are hideous IMO.

Image (http://www.openbook.co.ke/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Amber-BrownGarnet-Red-Sapphire-Black-and-Titanium-Grey-Galaxy-S3.jpg)

you forgot this new one

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 01:24 AM

And Samsung has the best shot at being a good competitor to Apple's iPhone.

Yup, hit the nail on the head. Apple wants Zero competition. Watch this, but skip over to 2:11 mark of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO61RlgYm4s

faroZ06

Samsung taking their market share using any means that they use is something to be afraid of, whether they copy or not. Apple has to stay on their toes. They're the largest company ever, and Samsung already has more worldwide market share.

Rico.Av
i really hate the way samsung's competing with apple,
at first copy , now weird advertisement , iPhone users never go to samsung,
cause they don't wanna carry a refrigerator in their pockets

Rogifan
Pretty sure subsonix was referring to iTunes on the computer which is used for managing media and purchasing and playing music/movies, not iTunes on the iPhone, which is used only for purchases.
You would not use iTunes on your iPhone to play anything

Ah, well I can't remember the last time I used iTunes on my PC either. The next time I use it will be to set up my new iPhone, and then I'll go back to not using it again. Unless the software update in October provides a less bloated app, then I might check it out.

GerritV
Sep 16, 2012, 01:25 AM
See how losing a law suit makes them act like... losers :D

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 01:26 AM
Yup, hit the nail on the head. Apple wants Zero competition. Watch this, but skip over to 2:11 mark of the video:

Don't all companies want zero competition? I'd make plenty of money as the only lemonade-seller in the universe.

Reach9
Sep 16, 2012, 01:28 AM

Nice vid, totally agreed with it.

Samsung should've just bought the licensing.
But, can you imagine if the mouse was patented?

Don't all companies want zero competition? I'd make plenty of money as the only lemonade-seller in the universe.

Yeah i think he meant that, correct me if i'm wrong.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:30 AM
Samsung taking their market share using any means that they use is something to be afraid of, whether they copy or not. Apple has to stay on their toes.
Right. Because as you just inferred, Samsung will steal ("Samsung taking their market share using any means") whatever they can from Apple.
Apple has to continuously innovate and Samsung can simple not innovate and steal from Apple.
Apple has to stay on their toes. They're the largest company ever
Far from it. Perhaps you should do a bit of simple research. Apple is the largest publicly traded company (but not private) by market cap (shares outanding times market price).

There are plenty of companies that have a larger income, more employees, more profit, etc.

AzN1337c0d3r
Sep 16, 2012, 01:32 AM
They forgot this: In term of build quality, the S3 is glass and plastic vs iPhone 5 glass and aluminium.

I'd prefer the weight of plastic versus the weight of aluminum any day.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:33 AM
i really hate the way samsung's competing with apple,
at first copy , now weird advertisement
Yeah,, they are SURE to win over iPhone users, aren't they?
"Wait a minute? I wait in line for an iPhone when I can simply walk over to the Samsung store (where is that again?) and get me a Galaxy Note right now?!?
And it comes with a stylus?!?"

canesalato
Sep 16, 2012, 01:36 AM

Yet the iPhone 5 is way lighter than the galaxy

thasan
Sep 16, 2012, 01:37 AM
I think you'll find the length matters more than the width. And on that front the new iphone 5 is just as long as other phones for all intent and purpose.

Personally, I have never found it comfortable to put the iphone 4 in a pair of jeans or tight pants so I think smaller size is bit of a moot point in terms of W and H. Thickness and weight is another story. For slacks I find the weight of the iphone was actually making it presence much more obvious than the larger size of the galaxy nexus.

I see. I already don't like it to put 4s in my pocket. Longer might be a bit more annoying. But Siii...no way!! Way too big.
I'm not going to buy 5. Hope in 6 they reduce the bezel and implement a all software home button.;)

Reach9
Sep 16, 2012, 01:38 AM
Right. Because as you just inferred, Samsung will steal ("Samsung taking their market share using any means") whatever they can from Apple.
Apple has to continuously innovate and Samsung can simple not innovate and steal from Apple.
Apple has to stay on their toes. They're the largest company ever
Far from it. Perhaps you should do a bit of simple research. Apple is the largest publicly traded company (but not private) by market cap (shares outanding times market price).

There are plenty of companies that have a larger income, more employees, more profit, etc.

Every company "has to" innovate. Companies innovate in their own ways, and Apple has "innovated" by stealing before.

The only reason Samsung got busted is because they didn't buy the licensing, otherwise none of these lawsuits would have happened.

I believe he was talking about Apple being the largest tech company, i think that was pretty obvious he was referring to the market cap. And because tech moves extremely fast, one cannot be complacent. Just look at RIM.
I think he's done good research already.

Aqua Bliss

You should buy a plastic car, it would probably save you a lot of gas due to the lighter weight.

lordofthereef
Everyone is so quick to forget the Mac v PC ads that aired not too long ago. Apple did the same thing. It's not about being ********. It's about clever marketing. It's not meant to get iPhone fans to jump ship. It's meant to get people on the fence to check out a phone they may not be aware of. Look at where the ad is appearing. In the newspaper! The journalist even took the time to make a jab at it showing up in such a "high tech fashion". Joke is on you buddy... Samsung is targeting a different demographic than you seem to expect.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:39 AM
Sorry, but every company "has to" innovate
And Samsung innovates by stealing (which has been proven) from Apple?
The only reason Samsung got busted is because they didn't buy the licensing
Except there was no licensing that would have happened for what they stole from Apple.
I believe he was talking about Apple being the largest tech company,
They aren't. Samsung revenue is about 3 to 1 vs Apple. And Apple is still behind AT&T, HP and Hitachi. They are 6th according to revenue (Wikipedia - 2011 stats)