PDA

View Full Version : See Samsung's Sunday newspaper ad about the iPhone 5. Whats your thoughts? (merged)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

ShinySteelRobot
Sep 16, 2012, 01:39 AM
According to Samsung's logic, nobody should buy a Porsche 911, because a Ford Mustang GT has more horsepower, therefore the Mustang GT must be way better, right Samsung?

An oversized subwoofer in a lowrider car gets much louder than my Bang & Olufsen stereo, therefore that car's audio sounds much better, right Samsung?

Sorry Samsung...it's 2012 and people don't buy products based on specs alone anymore.

AFAICT, the only meaningful difference between the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy 3s is the screen. And those huge screens don't fit in your pocket as well as an iPhone does. Not to mention the ginormous Android screens are really easy to crack due to sheer size. Going by personal experience, several of my friends have cracked their giant Android screens but only one friend has cracked an iPhone screen.

thasan
Sep 16, 2012, 01:40 AM
Right. Because as you just inferred, Samsung will steal ("Samsung taking their market share using any means") whatever they can from Apple.
Apple has to continuously innovate and Samsung can simple not innovate and steal from Apple.

Far from it. Perhaps you should do a bit of simple research. Apple is the largest publicly traded company (but not private) by market cap (shares outanding times market price).

There are plenty of companies that have a larger income, more employees, more profit, etc.

Can I get an example? I know Chinese army or dod are big in terms of number of employees, but they aren't private... Well, north Korean army maybe considered as private company :p but honestly, I am just curious to find out bigger companies, not hedge funds etc.

WakeUpDrunk
Youre reasoning is that of a follower; because the sales are due to others buying, it means you must have one too?

Interesting.

You must have quoted the wrong person because I have no clue how you could have gotten anything you said from my post.

lordofthereef
You should buy a plastic car, it would probably save you a lot of gas due to the lighter weight.

It might. It it would have to be designed that way. Otherwise aerodynamics would be off. Simply converting any standard car off the road to plastic just wouldn't work at all.

Anyway the iPhone 5 is lighter than all of the plastic competitors, so I am not even sure where the poster you originally quoted was goon with this one! ;)

AzN1337c0d3r
Sep 16, 2012, 01:41 AM
You should buy a plastic car, it would probably save you a lot of gas due to the lighter weight.

That's about the dumbest thing I've read all day.

The case of a phone isn't safety critical and doesn't bear any loads.

The structural components of a car however...

HangmanSwingset
Sep 16, 2012, 01:43 AM
Shake to Update?? WHERE CAN I BUY ONE!?

No man, "Palm Touch Mute Pause" has got to be the bestest feature EVAR!

But in all seriousness, that sounds like they took random smartphone keywords out of a hat just to put it on the list as another feature.

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
?

iPadPublisher
Sep 16, 2012, 01:44 AM

But in all seriousness, that sounds like they took random smartphone keywords out of a hat just to put it on the list as another feature.

No kidding. Maybe I'm not smart but what does a palm mute kick start even do?

AzN1337c0d3r
Sep 16, 2012, 01:45 AM
Anyway the iPhone 5 is lighter than all of the plastic competitors, so I am not even sure where the poster you originally quoted was goon with this one! ;)

It's only lighter because its smaller. If you scale down the Galaxy S3 weight with respect to the iPhone 5 volume, the Galaxy S3 will be lighter.

lordofthereef
And Samsung innovates by stealing (which has been proven)

I am counting the days before this argument overtakes the "this would have never happened under Job's watch" posts.

The patent system is incredibly flawed, at least in the US. There are plenty of countries where Apple v Samsung lawsuits got thrown out (in your terms it was "proven" they did NOT copy). I am not saying they did or they didn't, just that the patent system in the US is really, REALLY effed up. In many ways I am glad there are suites like this happening. Eventually try will lead to reform (I hope).

janderson0719
This ad does nothing more but make me laugh.

Oh Samsung, :rolleyes:.

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 01:46 AM
Right. Because as you just inferred, Samsung will steal ("Samsung taking their market share using any means") whatever they can from Apple.
Apple has to continuously innovate and Samsung can simple not innovate and steal from Apple.

Far from it. Perhaps you should do a bit of simple research. Apple is the largest publicly traded company (but not private) by market cap (shares outanding times market price).

There are plenty of companies that have a larger income, more employees, more profit, etc.

I think other forum members would take you seriously if you didnt exhibit such a strong case of bias.

Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU9ZUiy2pAI

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 01:46 AM
and remove the

Palm Touch Mute Pause

the palm makes it heavy.

verniesgarden
Sep 16, 2012, 01:47 AM

it reminds me of an episode of the office where BJ Novaks character is just throwing out buzzwords

lordofthereef
Sep 16, 2012, 01:47 AM
It's only lighter because its smaller. If you scale down the Galaxy S3 weight with respect to the iPhone 5 volume, the Galaxy S3 will be lighter.

That's fine and dandy. We are talking about weight. It's a lighter phone. Te phone is already under 4oz. Not sure how much lighter people want/need the thing to be.

For the record, I don't think I'll be gettin one, so I have nothing invested in protecting the iPhone 5.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:48 AM
Can I get an example?
-> Top 50 IT companies ranked by annual revenue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_technology_companies) (not market capitalization)

macsmurf
Sep 16, 2012, 01:49 AM
Samsung is so petty.

Apple has plenty of features that Samsung/Google don't mention in that ad, such as iCloud, which is FAR more integrated and reliable than Google.

Plus, "tilt to zoom", are you kidding me?

******** ad, and it shouldn't take a genius to realize that :rolleyes:

Well, apparently Apple already patented to obvious ways to zoom (doubletap and pinch) and apprently these patents are enforceable. What to do?

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:50 AM
I think other forum members would take you seriously if you didnt exhibit such a strong case of bias.

Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU9ZUiy2pAI

Well, there you go. I have definitely changed my mind.
Anyone want to buy a 6 month old iPhone 4S?
Or trade for an equal GalaxyIII?:eek:

Obviously, you have absolutely no idea what he (or Pablo Picasso) meant by, "Good artists copy. Great artists steal".

Reach9
Sep 16, 2012, 01:50 AM
And Samsung innovates by stealing (which has been proven) from Apple?

Except there was no licensing that would have happened for what they stole from Apple.

They aren't. Samsung revenue is about 3 to 1 vs Apple. And Apple is still behind AT&T, HP and Hitachi. They are 6th according to revenue (Wikipedia - 2011 stats)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe Apple approached Samsung with an option for licensing, and Samsung declined. So actually there was licensing possibilities.

Again, we were talking in terms of market cap. Here (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443855804577601773524745182.html)

janderson0719
Sep 16, 2012, 01:51 AM
Thanks for wallpaper Samsung.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj549/jcanderson0719/4E95F3E6-8A31-4E38-93BC-8BA5E9A54ECF-1512-000000A1B020E938.jpg

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 01:56 AM

Slide to unlock, right on that list puts the icing on the cake. :D

mentaluproar
Sep 16, 2012, 01:56 AM
This is childish.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 01:58 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe Apple approached Samsung with an option for licensing, and Samsung declined
Apple approached Samsung and said they were copying Apple patents (not FRAND) and should stop. Samsung declined.
Apple also approached Samsung in reference to Apple licensing FRAND patents Samsung holds but Samsung declined to license them.
The very nature of FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) means you cannot deny a license to anyone.

joekun
Sep 16, 2012, 02:00 AM
The next big thing is already here, it runs a year old operating system that you better get used to. You'll be running it for the duration of that two year contract you're going to sign.

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 02:01 AM
The next big thing is already here, it runs a year old operating system that you better get used to. You'll be running it for the duration of that two year contract you're going to sign.

Don't forget the name of that os ICE CREAM SANDWICH hmmm makes me want to go buy one.......

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:01 AM
The patent system is incredibly flawed, at least in the US.
Okay.
So companies should simply ignore the fact that they filed and have been granted a patent?

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:02 AM

Image (http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj549/jcanderson0719/4E95F3E6-8A31-4E38-93BC-8BA5E9A54ECF-1512-000000A1B020E938.jpg)

Apple filed a 28 page application for that 'slide to unlock'. Which, actually got tossed out for patent infringement in Europe by one of the judges who KNEW this process has already been in existence in the military (not sure which, but its been around).

Now.... think about this:

This is a software patent. Do you think anything steve jobs marketed (because thats all he ever did, he worked on persuasion, NOT innovation) would have been able to do so if it werent for the lack of these same software patents that didnt exist when Xerox invented the graphical user interface with scroll bars, icons that looked like folders, etc?

Again, and I raise this question for every single apple fanboy: WHY the bias?

oBMTo
Why are people so mad at this ad? Inferiority complex much?

alexxxhp
Android focused on food?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
Fu!@# Google programmers must weight 800lb with all this development taking place....

TigerWoodsIV
More like

Apple: Sues over anything

If you win over a billion dollars against your largest competitor, you clearly had a reason to sue.

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:05 AM
Okay.
So companies should simply ignore the fact that they filed and have been granted a patent?

The patent should have never been granted. Apple hasnt invented much of their own. Youve already been told that Steve Jobs admitted to steal... and also *lied* during his first iPhone keynote presentation that Apple invented multitouch.

----------

If you win over a billion dollars against your largest competitor, you clearly had a reason to sue.

A frivolous and suspicious win. Theyve only won in USA, on homeland, in their hometown where they pay nice taxes. Everywhere else across the globe, apple has been losing over these bull***t patents, rightfully so as they are ridiculous.

Midnight612
Sep 16, 2012, 02:06 AM
Apple and Samsung may both have great phones however for those of us who like to buy American.... The iPhone is as American as apple pie... pun intended.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:06 AM
The
You're funny!

basket123rocks
Sep 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
That picture is just childish. Complete immature move on Samsung's part. I highly doubt anyone will switch to laggy-Android melting Ice Cream Sandwich.

ani4ani
If Samsung are so confident that their Samsung Galaxy S3 is better compared to the iPhone 5, even without knowing much about the new special designed Apple A6 SoC, why on earth can't they make a half decent and somewhat honest chart for comparison?

Listing every single custom software feature, no matter how big or small from the Galaxy S3 without mentioning a single one for the iPhone 5 is just silly..

Why don't you consider that the top 10 "features" in the list were virtually all mentioned in Apple's keynote as improvements with their latest phone? So clearly important and the SIII trumps the iphone each time. Samsung is being very "tongue in cheek" with the balance of the list and is therefore only there to make people talk about the ad...which seems to have worked.

We can dismiss the specs as not important and it's the "user experiience" that counts etc.. Without being sexist and no offence intended towards anyone, but these platitudes are right up there with "it's all about the personality"

It is all about the specs, and that is why Apple ram them down our throats at every keynote.

alexxxhp
Android focused on food?

Fu!@# Google programmers must weight 800lb with all this development taking place....

makes perfect sense now thats why its bigger with these calories and fattening food from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Beans... makes sense now ok.......

HishamAkhtar
Sep 16, 2012, 02:08 AM
Everyone is so quick to forget the Mac v PC ads that aired not too long ago. Apple did the same thing. It's not about being ********. It's about clever marketing. It's not meant to get iPhone fans to jump ship. It's meant to get people on the fence to check out a phone they may not be aware of. Look at where the ad is appearing. In the newspaper! The journalist even took the time to make a jab at it showing up in such a "high tech fashion". Joke is on you buddy... Samsung is targeting a different demographic than you seem to expect.

I honestly think Samsung isn't targetting iPhone users with this ad; they're actually targetting android users. Surveys have shown that iPhone/Apple customers are extremely loyal so Samsung is trying to make the S3 the champion of android phones so all android users will buy it as the anti-iPhone.

Dolorian
Sep 16, 2012, 02:08 AM

Not quite, Jelly Bean is set to be released next month. There is indeed a delay between the official release from Google and the release from the OEMS but the S3 being such a popular device it will get the update relatively fast.

That said, this is definitely an area that Google and the OEMs need to improve upon.

macosxuser01
Sep 16, 2012, 02:09 AM
The patent should have never been granted. Apple hasnt invented much of their own. Youve already been told that Steve Jobs admitted to steal... and also *lied* during his first iPhone keynote presentation that Apple invented multitouch.

----------

A frivolous and suspicious win. Theyve only won in USA, on homeland, in their hometown where they pay nice taxes. Everywhere else across the globe, apple has been losing over these bull***t patents, rightfully so as they are ridiculous.

So what explain's this...

Dolorian
Sep 16, 2012, 02:11 AM

Didn't that comparison chart omit a lot of Samsung phones? I think this one was more accurate:

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:14 AM
That said, this is definitely an area that Google and the OEMs need to improve upon.
Most definitely!
As of 12 Sept 2012, the majority of Android users (57%) are still on 2.3.3-2.3.7 (and most likely cannot even upgrade, even if they wanted to!).
-> http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:15 AM
Didn't that comparison chart omit a lot of Samsung phones? I think this one was more accurate:

it omits the LG Prada as well... that argument has been debunked many times, im tired of people even still making it.

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 02:17 AM
Apple filed a 28 page application for that 'slide to unlock'. Which, actually got tossed out for patent infringement in Europe by one of the judges who KNEW this process has already been in existence in the military (not sure which, but its been around).

We all know Apple did that before Samsung, the prior art from neo node was very poorly executed in comparison.

wikus

You know, my crappy nokia dumb phone from way before the iphone had a grid of icons as its homescreen.

Strongest case to counter your argument is the LG Prada, which renders your case invalid.

alexxxhp
what F!!@ is this what are they feeding the world......

This should be on a world vision commercial.....

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 02:18 AM
it omits the LG Prada as well... that argument has been debunked many times, im tired of people even still making it.

Have you used an LG prada? It was a horrible phone, which is why it did terrible in the market.

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:19 AM
We all know Apple did that before Samsung, the prior art from neo node was very poorly executed in comparison.

I wasnt talking about Samsung in this comment.

----------

Have you used an LG prada? It was a horrible phone, which is why it did terrible in the market.

What difference does it make if it was good or bad? It clearly shows that Apple did not innovate.

TigerWoodsIV
Sep 16, 2012, 02:19 AM
If Samsung, MS, Sony, Google, Motorola or anyone else does sleazy marketing its petty and pathetic
If Apple does sleazy advertising its art

Its an ad and it does make a point whether we accept it or not so why the heck is anyone offended? Just because we prefer Apple products doesnt mean competition shouldnt exist.

When Apple does it it is more like art. Their ads are more tasteful or humorous like the I'm a PC ad line. Their ads now don't seem to do that even. This ad is a total joke. The features they list are insanely idiotic and no one cares, it's just all they could come up with to make the list longer because it makes idiots think it must be better. That's who this ad appeals to, idiots. People who don't know anything about phones won't read the whole ad, and people who do should know that 1gb ram vs 2 doesn't mean **** with the OS differences. My 4 is still pretty fast on iOS 6 with half the ram and a 2 generation old processor. I also have no idea what any of those features at the bottom mean. So any tech knowledgable person who goes with the S3 simply because a little list including tilt to zoom showed up and they read it is an idiot. I have nothing wrong with the S3 or Android, but it's not hard to see why Apple is killing it. I checked out an S3 a friend of mine just got. I just don't really get it. It's not a bad phone, but I'd rather have the original iPhone from 2007 on iOS 1.

I'm also only offended by this ad because it's so bad and Samsung probably puts a TON of money into marketing. So I'm offended by how bad a job they did with this, not that they'd do it. The genius line is the only part that was clever.

bushman4
Sep 16, 2012, 02:20 AM
Looks like Samsung is trying to make enemies rather than friends.

macosxuser01
But the iPhone was first in a touch phone. Those samsung phones (pre iphone) OS was not like they are today. Samsung completely copy the look of iOS and the iPhone

HangmanSwingset
it reminds me of an episode of the office where BJ Novaks character is just throwing out buzzwords

Or South Park's portrayal of the Family Guy writing staff...
http://media.avclub.com/images/articles/article/55943/SPimage11_jpg_300x1000_q85.jpg

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 02:22 AM

Here's a list of the largest quarterly profits in history. Apple comes in 4th and is the only company on the list that's not oil or gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_corporate_profits_and_losses#Largest_Corporate_Quarterly_Earnings_of_All_Time

In this list there are only 6 companies with higher annual profits than Apple recorded in FY11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_corporate_profits_and_losses

Sure there are lots of companies with more employees and more revenue. But when it comes to profit, cash and market cap Apple is top dog right now.

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
I wasnt talking about Samsung in this comment.

Of course you did, the context was the wall paper from Samsung's ad, the lawsuit with Samsung and slide to unlock.

What difference does it make if it was good or bad? It clearly shows that Apple didnt innovate.

No it didn't, it shows that someone found an obscure phone who had something that was vaguely similar. Are you saying that iPhone is just like an LG Prada? If so how come the LG Prada was a huge failure. That is my point, both phones used a touch screen, that does not mean that Apple copied LG or that LG did any meaningful innovation that had any consequences for the phones that followed, quite the contrary, it's a phone that quickly disappeared and everyone forgot about.

Neo node was more of an experiment, that looked like a prototype. Apple managed to make a slide to unlock that is very appealing and well executed, Samsung took that idea. Anyone with a pair of eyes and any kind of design sense can see that.

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
I think android should be in competition with the food industry if they see these numbers they will want to sue......

if they put and android stand selling phones in a supermarket they would own the market industry. They sound delicious.....

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:25 AM
I'm also only offended by this ad because it's so bad and Samsung probably puts a TON of money into marketing. So I'm offended by how bad a job they did with this, not that they'd do it. The genius line is the only part that was clever.

Your offended by an ad? I'm offended by the fact that USA illegally invaded a Middle East country under false pretextes so they can steal their natural resources and implement permanent military bases to start more series of conflicts so they could implement a third world war to create a planetary fascist police state...

But no, its Samsungs ad that offends others. :rolleyes:

Brad L
Sep 16, 2012, 02:26 AM
Samsung forgot one important feature that iphone5 does not have:

Google Maps

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:26 AM
Strongest case to counter your argument is the LG Prada, which renders your case invalid.
and Apple had a single button, touchscreen, full screen iPhone prototype in August 2005, 16 months before the Prada was announced. (Samsung attempted to use this argument but it got tossed out)

TigerWoodsIV
Sep 16, 2012, 02:27 AM
Apple lost in Japan and Korea (Korean judge said that both companies used others patents). It was clear that Apple, which is based in the US, would win in US court over Korean based company - Samsung. Anyway, Apple hasn't won yet, they need to go through courts of appeals, which can take years.

Samsung is also a Korean company... So your argument goes both ways. It's pretty obvious no matter what the case, the end product is a blatant copy of an iPhone. I'm sure they both try and use each others patents as much as possible without going overboard and getting sued, but come on Samsung, it's pretty obvious in this case.

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 02:27 AM
Your offended by an ad? I'm offended by the fact that USA illegally invaded a Middle East country under false pretextes so they can steal their natural resources and implement permanent military bases to start more series of conflicts so they could implement a third world war to create a planetary fascist police state...

But no, its Samsungs ad that offends others. :rolleyes:

Wow, really? So because there are worse things in life we can't be offended by anything else? Get a grip man.

Not that I'm offended by the ad...but your argument sucks.

macosxuser01
Sep 16, 2012, 02:29 AM
I think android should be in competition with the food industry if they see these numbers they will want to sue......

if they put and android stand selling phones in a supermarket they would own the market industry. They sound delicious.....

How can a "Jelly Bean" be an upgrade over an "Ice Cream Sandwich"?
If I was google 4.0 should of been Jelly Bean then 4.1 should of been name Ice Cream Sandwich.

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:29 AM
But the iPhone was first in a touch phone. Those samsung phones (pre iphone) OS was not like they are today. Samsung completely copy the look of iOS and the iPhone

Wrong.

The LG Prada was the first touch screen phone. Heres a 5 year old video before the iPhone was around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mo7Ab6ZcJ4

Why is it that apple fans believe apple invented basically everything??

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:30 AM
I'm sure they both try and use each others patents as much as possible without going overboard and getting sued.
Using someone else's idea? Not so much of a problem. Just innovate that idea so it is unique.
Using someone else's patent? Definitely a problem!

alexxxhp
Sep 16, 2012, 02:30 AM
How can a "Jelly Bean" be an upgrade over an "Ice Cream Sandwich"?
If I was google 4.0 should of been Jelly Bean then 4.1 should of been name Ice Cream Sandwich.

Eclair should be the update not ICE CREAM SANDWICH like everything else android does backwards they eat the sweets then have dinner

the8thark
Sep 16, 2012, 02:31 AM
"iPhone 5 gives you AIDS" should be their slogan in this fear campaign.

Yes I believe it does. An AIDS. "Awesome iOS Device shipped". Shipped right to your door.

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 02:32 AM
and Apple had a single button, touchscreen, full screen iPhone prototype in August 2005, 16 months before the Prada was announced. (Samsung attempted to use this argument but it got tossed out)

And that counts for what exactly? If it wasn't in the public domain, it might as well have never existed. (Samsung didn't and it wasn't!)

I also had similar device in my bedroom back in 1991....I didn't tell anyone about it though...:rolleyes:

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:32 AM
Wow, really? So because there are worse things in life we can't be offended by anything else? Get a grip man.

My argument sucks? Your priorities are out of wack. So what if youre offended by an advertisement? Grow up, youre an adult, deal with it. Nothing happens if youre offended by that ad. Your precious iPhone isnt going to be taken away by the existence of some ad.

But apparently being offended by the slaughter of innocent men, women, children and american soldiers who were lied to only to be murdered by this war is illegitimate? I swear to god I cannot believe how insanely ignorant that is.

macosxuser01
Sep 16, 2012, 02:33 AM

Touché

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 02:34 AM
Wrong.

The LG Prada was the first touch screen phone. Heres a 5 year old video before the iPhone was around:

That video is from Feb 14th 2007.

This video (iPhone) is from Jan 10th 2007. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf4riVJyqw

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:35 AM
Wrong again.

Why is it that apple fans believe apple invented basically everything?? I feel like I'm constantly repeating myself in this thread.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:36 AM
And that counts for what exactly?
That Apple did not steal the design for the iPhone from LG Prada.

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:37 AM
That video is from Feb 14th 2007.

This video (iPhone) is from Jan 10th 2007. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf4riVJyqw

So? The LG Prada was first announced on December 12, 2006 nearly a month before the iPhone.

macosxuser01
Sep 16, 2012, 02:38 AM
Wrong.

I'm talking about Samsung. Did Samsung have a touch screen phone before Apple?
NO.

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 02:40 AM
So? The LG Prada was first announced on December 12, 2006 nearly a month before the iPhone.

So you are suggesting that, apple made the iPhone in one month after they copied LG Prada? Sorry, but that is ridiculous.

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 02:40 AM
My argument sucks? Your priorities are out of wack. So what if youre offended by an advertisement? Grow up, youre an adult, deal with it. Nothing happens if youre offended by that ad. Your precious iPhone isnt going to be taken away by the existence of some ad.

But apparently being offended by the slaughter of innocent men, women, children and american soldiers who were lied to only to be murdered by this war is illegitimate? I swear to god I cannot believe how insanely ignorant that is.

Seriously, you can't say my priorities are out of whack because you have no clue what my priorities are. Anything you can deduce from me being on this forum is equally true of you. Outside this forum, we know nothing about each other.

Nobody here is saying being offended by the slaughter of innocent people is illegitmate. It's completely stupid that you even infer that. But perhaps you have reading comprehension issues.

So, is there nothing you are offended about other than the US invasion of Middle Eastern countries? Of course there are. Being worried about things that are bigger than ourselves doesn't preclude us from being bothered by smaller things. The entire idea is ludicrous.

By your logic, if that situation is so worth all of our attention and we can't be offended by anything else, then you and anyone else so worried about it should be off this forum and out fighting it. But that is also a ludicrous statement.

There's no reason we can't be upset by small things in life. Get over it.

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 02:41 AM
That Apple did not steal the design for the iPhone from LG Prada.

At no point did I say they did, though plenty do. But having something locked in a cupboard, that you only share with the world 5 years later, is no proof they didn't. That's my point.

Simplicated
Sep 16, 2012, 02:43 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RyWjY.jpg

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:43 AM
So you are suggesting that, apple made the iPhone in one month after they copied LG Prada? Sorry, but that is ridiculous.

The point is that Apple's patents are frivolous and the statement that Steve Jobs made that they invented multitouch and the first touch screen phone is a LIE.

Is it really difficult to admit that for you guys? Is it really to admit that the patents are undeserved? Is it so hard to admit that apple clearly skews the facts? Is it really necessary to obsess over glorifying a brand over this?

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:44 AM
I'm talking about Samsung. Did Samsung have a touch screen phone before Apple?
NO.
Samsung was trying to prove that Apple stole the iPhone design from others.
Samsung was not trying to disprove that they (Samsung) didn't steal the design from Apple.

macosxuser01
Sep 16, 2012, 02:46 AM
This add shows how scared about the iPhone 5 and insecure about it's phone Samsung is. They KNOW that the iPhone 5 blows the "mighty" Galaxy SIII out of the water so they resort to these ads and come up with a list that omit many of the key features of iPhone and overload the list of their phone with a bunch of minuscule and gimmicky features.

The iPhone 5 has the Galaxy SIII beat when it comes to internal specs (faster processor, better camera, better screen, better battery life, wider connectivity options, better gps functionality, etc) and simply blows it out of the water when it comes to the software.

The new bigger screen size of the iPhone 5 is the PERFECT answer to the ill fated trend in the Android camp of making phones bigger with each new version. It will make people realize how bloated the size of the Galaxy SIII truly is and how much more sleeker and ergonomic/comfortable to hold the iPhone 5 is while still providing a reasonably large screen. Even some Android sites are already pointing this out.

This and similar ads will all be in vain for Samsung, they will start feeling the iPhone 5 effect during the next month when the sales of their Galaxy SIII start to dwindle.

Couldn't say it any better

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:49 AM
Is it really to admit that the patents are undeserved?
So Apple should not defend patents they received?

----------

At no point did I say they did
But you asked me, "And that counts for what exactly?".
I simply told you what that counts for.

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 02:49 AM
The point is that Apple's patents are frivolous and the statement that Steve Jobs made that they invented multitouch and the first touch screen phone is a LIE.

Patents are one thing, it deals with the law. It's boring. This is not a discussion about patents, and slide to unlock wasn't a generic multitouch patent either, but quite specific to that feature. Samsung is an OEM that uses the Android OS, in a lame attempt to stand out they are adding their own vendor bloat on top of Android that isn't particular innovative or original.

gorskiegangsta
Sep 16, 2012, 02:50 AM
Hilarious to see apple fanboys ******** over this seeing how Apple's been doing this same thing for YEARS against microsoft and the whole PC industry.

I guess everyone forgot about the 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ads, huh?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This series of ads is much better than previous ones where Samsung made fun of end users. They're making fun of Apple and Apple's product, which is the way to do it. Not sure what impact this would have on customers, though. Apple's "Get a Mac" ads generated genuine consumer interest in Mac products. The verdict is still out whether these ads would do the same for Samsung.

kidclam
Sep 16, 2012, 02:53 AM
I don't see Porche compare their cars to a Toyota, only a Toyota would try to compare to Porche and only let you know what "seems" better and omit all the other facts.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 02:53 AM
The point is that Apple's patents are frivolous
Perhaps, but they are still valid.

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 02:55 AM
Perhaps, but they are still valid.

Unjustly and only in the USA. That should tell you that the whole case is bull***t. Everywhere else outside of USA and apples being thrown out of the courtroom.

kidclam
Sep 16, 2012, 02:56 AM
Unjustly and only in the USA. That should tell you that the whole case is bull***t. Everywhere else outside of USA and apples being thrown out of the courtroom.

But in the US, Samsung couldn't sue Apple for patent infringement.

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 02:56 AM
So Apple should not defend patents they received?

----------

But you asked me, "And that counts for what exactly?".
I simply told you what that counts for.

Except it doesnt! It proves absolutely nothing. Like I said I had one in my bedroom so LG must have copied me then?

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 03:00 AM
It's a marketing strategy. Inferior companies will always do the comparison. The superior company can rely on its laurels. You never see Pepsi in a Coke commercial or Cadillac in a Porsche commercial. Flipside, Pepsi and Cadillac mention Coke and Porsche in their ads, etc.

Does this means Coke is better than Pepsi!!! Ohh no my world is destroyed!!! ;-)

DELTAsnake
Could someone please tell me what everything below NFC on this list is and why I should care about them?

snebes
Except it doesnt! It proves absolutely nothing. Like I said I had one in my bedroom so LG must have copied me then?

Lets be serial. you should sue.

mcman77
Yea but news gets to the uk no? I am in the uk you know and got it through the ebst Ipad app Flipboard under technology tab :)

Just saying that this sort of competition between rivals is justifiable in the states. Even if it goes world wide, people know that.

Marx55
Sep 16, 2012, 03:01 AM
They do not get it. The secret is the interface, and there Apple is the master. As with the iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac. Once you try them, you do not want competitors even for free!

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 03:02 AM
Love the small print at the bottom:

ABOVE LISTED FEATURES ARE REPRESENTATIVE, NOT ALL INCLUSIVE.

So, those features are representative of what? iOS features? And of course, not all of them are included I guess... ;-)

ri0ku
Apple should make an advertisement that says "It doesn't take a genius to copy one"

Speedy Dingo
I can already see Samsung's next phone ad... :p

Michael CM1
Could someone please tell me what everything below NFC on this list is and why I should care about them?

I think it's Samsung's version of doing this:

Notes, Calendar, Phone, Mail, Safari, Settings, Alarm Clock, Photos, Camera.

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 03:03 AM

This is what the common consumer will think as well. Except for previous Samsung users, all of those features are meaningless. Bad call on Samsung's part if you ask me.

Marx55
Sep 16, 2012, 03:06 AM
Here is the REAL advertisement version (updated ad):
http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/183902/width/900/height/900/flags/LL

C.G.B. Spender
Sep 16, 2012, 03:08 AM
This is what the common consumer will think as well. Except for previous Samsung users, all of those features are meaningless. Bad call on Samsung's part if you ask me.

Samsung - still not a single lesson learnt.

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 03:08 AM
The point is that Apple's patents are frivolous

As frivolous as a 1 billion bucks!!!

kalsta
Sep 16, 2012, 03:11 AM

Nope.

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 03:13 AM

Some of these are just stupid. I swear some of the Apple fans just make it worse. Stop playing their game. If you want to do it, do it right.

yegon
Sep 16, 2012, 03:18 AM
It'd be a better ad if they just stopped at NFC, after that point it gets silly.

I've an old 4, a 5 on preorder, and a Galaxy Note. The latter is great, but only after ridding it of Samsungs bloat and putting Cyanogenmod9 on it. Basically, in future, I'd rather not have to suffer jumping through hoops to make a phone really good, hence why I'm sticking to iOS for the foreseeable. Like many here I'm a nerd and have the ability to custom rom stuff and jailbreak (I just can't be bothered most of the time), but the average Joe hasn't a clue, as such I'd always recommend an iPhone to them (or Nexus phone). Samsung make good hardware IMO, but their homegrown software is mostly gimmicky, ill thought out crap.

All this talk of x blows y out of the water though, grow up, they're both great phones clearly.

Oh, and lol at 790 hours standby time haha. My Note has a 2500mah battery, not sure what the S3 has, but even with CM9 on my Note (very battery friendly and efficient) no way in a million years would it have that kind of standby time. Given idle battery life is far far worse under Samsungs skinned android, I'd be genuinely surprised if the S3 managed even half that.

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 03:18 AM
I think its time apple started a new wave of ads

"Hi I'm an iPhone"

"Hi I'm an _____"

They could actually use the same guys! John Hodgman would be the perfect SIII since he is a lot bigger than Justin Long... :D

wikus
Sep 16, 2012, 03:20 AM

You should care about removable batteries....

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 03:23 AM
Apple didnt invent the MP3, smartphone or the tablet. They just copied others before them and patent it. So to say anyone is copying Apple is a joke. Oh and the LG Prada wasnt the first touchscreen phone either. Simon was the first touchscreen phone way back in 1994

"The first cellular phone to incorporate PDA features was an IBM prototype developed in 1992 and demonstrated that year at the COMDEX computer industry trade show. A refined version of the product was marketed to consumers on 16 August 1994 by BellSouth under the name Simon Personal Communicator. The Simon was the first device that can be properly referred to as a "smartphone", even though that term was not yet coined.[5][15] In addition to its ability to make and receive cellular phone calls, Simon was also able to send and receive facsimiles, e-mails and pages through its touch screen display. Simon included many applications including an address book, calendar, appointment scheduler, calculator, world time clock, games, electronic note pad, handwritten annotations and standard and predictive touchscreen keyboards."

hisboyelroy
Sep 16, 2012, 03:23 AM
I am curious how accurate or misleading it is when Samsung claims to have substantially longer standby time (790 vs. 225 hours) and longer talk time (11.4 vs. 8 hours) than Apple. I am suspicious of this and would like to see some real world numbers. It has seemed to me that Android phones, especially using 4G, just don't get good battery life at all. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've looked for articles that would explain these numbers and their reliability in the real world, but have had no luck.

Happytodd
Sep 16, 2012, 03:24 AM
The one major differences between the two devices is the software.

An iPhone is capable of answering a phone call when lifted to your ear, but we don't want it. Even if we did, I'm sure their is a Tweak to install it if your iOS device is jailbroken.

I do give props to Samsung for attempting to compete against Apple, it what makes the world go round. They'll win some and then Apple will win some.

The one big con with devices running Android is that their are many, many versions of Android, and not all versions will be able to run on your device because your device will have to have the particular hardware for it to run. This is not a problem for Apple devices though, Universally they all run the same hardware, and software for that matter!

vmachiel
Sep 16, 2012, 03:24 AM
Just seeing this now. Even though it's all true, the majority of the extra samsung features are useless to me.

Feed Me
Sep 16, 2012, 03:25 AM
I must ask. Is this the actual Feed Me?

No, it's a Chinese knockoff.

yegon
Sep 16, 2012, 03:28 AM
I am curious how accurate or misleading it is when Samsung claims to have substantially longer standby time (790 vs. 225 hours) and longer talk time (11.4 vs. 8 hours) than Apple.

See my post above, sounds like utter bs.

Angra-mainju
Sep 16, 2012, 03:29 AM
Still don't know why you need a removable battery for the phone to be better - they fall down and in 99% battery is out; trust me, I'm a student

danielowenuk
Sep 16, 2012, 03:29 AM
Panic advertising!

iPhone not even released yet and they are clearly worried about the floods of customers they will lose.

Stinger123
Sep 16, 2012, 03:30 AM
Samsung comes off as desperate to me. The average comsumer is a non gearhead and will choose design over techstats and things they dont know what are.

I hope Apple responds in a mature and non agressive way.

This silly ad just shows how threatened Samaung feels from a phone that hasn't even hit the marked yet, and will not hurt Apple sales.

Morgenland
Those kind of competitive ads are forbidden by law in most european countries.
We know, why: Comparing products is just comparing apples with bananas. Maybe its just a missing competition-law in the US?!

Seriously?... Its no wonder Apple fans get so much abuse with absurd things like this. Some of those points are just silly

ri0ku
Apple didnt invent the MP3, smartphone or the tablet. They just copied others before them and patent it. So to say anyone is copying Apple is a joke. Oh and the LG Prada wasnt the first touchscreen phone either. Simon was the first touchscreen phone way back in 1994

"The first cellular phone to incorporate PDA features was an IBM prototype developed in 1992 and demonstrated that year at the COMDEX computer industry trade show. A refined version of the product was marketed to consumers on 16 August 1994 by BellSouth under the name Simon Personal Communicator. The Simon was the first device that can be properly referred to as a "smartphone", even though that term was not yet coined.[5][15] In addition to its ability to make and receive cellular phone calls, Simon was also able to send and receive facsimiles, e-mails and pages through its touch screen display. Simon included many applications including an address book, calendar, appointment scheduler, calculator, world time clock, games, electronic note pad, handwritten annotations and standard and predictive touchscreen keyboards."

No one is saying they copied because they made a phone though... so your point is actually pointless. Samsung copied loads of things like style of the phone and icons the way the software behaves even down to the charging adapter and product box.

No one is saying they copied because they made a phone or an MP3 player etc. You can still copy someones idea from something that already existed. Apple improved phones for everyone, samsung then decided it wanted a piece and copied a lot of things apple did with their phone.

As for copying others then patenting for tablets. Apples version of a tablet is completely different to what came before it.. do some research. All tablets before apple ran desktop software making them a nightmare to use. No company had made a tablet with its own specific OS with an integrated store.

mbhebsgaard
Sep 16, 2012, 03:32 AM
I'm still on the iPhone 3Gs - I for one think the design of the 4 and 5-series suck. I like to hold something tapered in my hand. I use my phone to talk and hold it in my hand - that is so basic and what I regard the most important feature. The iPhone 5 seem so big and I would love a smaller one with only three rows of icons :)

Anyway I looking for something smaller anyway I don't really see why they battle to make the largest phone with the biggest screen!?

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 03:33 AM
We know, why: Comparing products is just comparing apples with bananas. Maybe its just a missing competition-law in the US?!

Our companies pay our politicians who already lie to us....to allow them to lie to us as well. :rolleyes:

macosxuser01
Sep 16, 2012, 03:34 AM

The one big con with devices running Android is that their are many, many versions of Android, and not all versions will be able to run on your device because your device will have to have the particular hardware for it to run. This is not a problem for Apple devices though, Universally they all run the same hardware, and software for that matter!

This. There's like over 200+ versions of Android. It's why its software is flaw because its not suitable for all the different type of hardware (Samsung, HTC, Asus,etc).
Think about the iPhone 3GS it will support iOS 6. A phone thats about 3 years old. Does any of Android phones that are 3 years old (Samsung, HTC,...) support the latest version of Jelly Bean?

seong
Yeah but after the warranty is up, youre screwed. It reminds me of Sony Minidisc recorders; they were easily the best portable players until proper mp3 players came out from the likes of Cowon/iAudio. Sound quality was great, battery life was awesome, it was digital, could record from any source, discs were small and far more durable than regular CDs due to the shell and the gumstick batteries lasted a long time and were priced very well.

The problem?

Planned obsolescence. Just like iDevices.

A lot of those minidisc recorders crapped out just after the warranty. And just like the Sony MD, iPods and all of their other devices usually start to crap out after about a year, the battery just doesnt hold up. Typically the batteries last about 300-400 charges before battery life starts going downhill. With normal usage, charging once a day gets close to the 400 charge cycle after about a year.... after that..... like I said, your screwed.

That reason alone has made me look at portable apple devices in disgust as I've experienced this bull***t from them first hand. Its left a bitter taste that I will never forget. (on top of the battery going bad, the hard drive in my iPod failed too). It was the worst experience I've ever had.

Man, sounds like you were having bad days with Apple products. I suppose the user experience is different for each person :P

ani4ani

An iPhone is capable of answering a phone call when lifted to your ear, but we don't want it. Even if we did, I'm sure their is a Tweak to install it if your iOS device is jailbroken.

I do give props to Samsung for attempting to compete against Apple, it what makes the world go round. They'll win some and then Apple will win some.

I would imagine all those 3GS owners who started a 2 year contract last week might not agree when IOS 6 is released?

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 03:36 AM
Apple didnt invent the MP3, smartphone or the tablet. They just copied others before them and patent it. So to say anyone is copying Apple is a joke.

Are you saying that phones with touch screens must be copies? Or, that it's the touch screen it self is the only thing defining a touch screen phone? That argument is a bit too simple to buy.

chatfan
Sep 16, 2012, 03:36 AM
I guess they really need to sell a lot of them to pay of the 1billion they owe Apple. I guess the line that is missing from this add is:

40% profit for apple - The first $billion profit also goes to Apple

puke
Sep 16, 2012, 03:37 AM
I like how Android-boys attack Apple because they sue... Ofcourse they do? If someone steal something that's patented, you all would sue.

Wake up goddamnit! The ones that wants an iPhone gets one. The ones that wants an Android-phone gets one of those... As easy as that.

I'm personally getting the iPhone 5, but that's simply because it has everything i would need. I dont have to hax around with android for 2 decades to get it to work like I want it to, aswell as having the "whole experience". Connecting to Apple TV, iCloud, seamlessly integrated and I only have to enter my username/password and everything is done. It's not laggy. iOS is made for 1 phone. Android is made for 134567865432 phones, and ofcourse it's laggy like hell, it's not optimized.

It's up to the user.

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 03:38 AM
I think this Samsung hate is hilarious. Samsung bad...unless you are buying a rMBP (gotta get the Samsung display) or a MBA (gotta get a Samsung SSD and display). All companies market their products - I pick the one that works for my needs by researching and not from anyone's biased marketing...apple or Samsung or whoever.

Nobody hates Samsung, that's silly... we (I might be speaking for some of us) just think the ad is not very smart. They are just trying too hard...

And yep, we all know Apple buys a lot of Samsung's parts just like they do from Seagate, WD, Hynix, Sony, LG and so many others... Those parts work better on Apple products than they do on theirs... (and I am not referring only to Samsung's)

And Samsung does actually have great products. I have a very cool SamSung fridge which is great and is almost as big as the Galaxy SIII :D

yegon
Sep 16, 2012, 03:38 AM
I would imagine all those 3GS owners who started a 2 year contract last week might not agree when IOS 6 is released?

Hardly an argument, you're talking about an old old phone there.

chatfan
Sep 16, 2012, 03:39 AM
Can we just index all these arguments and just refer to them as numbers?
I mean this argument has been done and dusted about 20.000.000 times now. It might be easier to just do it like a chess game:

My move is insult:
C42-B2

Are you saying that phones with touch screens must be copies? Or, that it's the touch screen it self is the only thing defining a touch screen phone? That argument is a bit too simple to buy.

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 03:40 AM
Nobody hates Samsung, that's silly... we (I might be speaking for some of us) just think the ad is not very smart. They are just trying too hard...

Nah, some people hate Samsung just as much as some people hate Apple. I don't hate either. I hate Sears though, they tried to screw me. :eek:

canesalato
Sep 16, 2012, 03:41 AM
I am curious how accurate or misleading it is when Samsung claims to have substantially longer standby time (790 vs. 225 hours) and longer talk time (11.4 vs. 8 hours) than Apple. I am suspicious of this and would like to see some real world numbers. It has seemed to me that Android phones, especially using 4G, just don't get good battery life at all. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've looked for articles that would explain these numbers and their reliability in the real world, but have had no luck.

Anandtech tells a different story (look for the galaxy siii review)

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 03:41 AM

They are not forbidden at all, however, what they say must be 100% true and accurate....as a result, most companies never take the risk since falsehoods can cause more than good. However this sort of advertising is entirely legal in Europe.

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 03:42 AM

Really? So an iPhone 3G can run iOS6? That would be a neat trick. Why was Siri not available for the 4 but only the 4s? Why is turn by turn navigation only available for the 4s and up? Why is Facetime over 3G only available for the 4 and up? Oh fragmentation irony. Pot meet kettle.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 03:44 AM
Image (http://s11.postimage.org/nf5qw9dcz/Screenshot_2012_09_15_at_15_23_08.png)

:D

Galaxy S3 has:

- 720p front facing camera
- Panorama
- FaceTime (Google Talk supports video chat and comes installed by default on Android ICS and later :) )
- iMessage competitor (again being Google Talk)
- PassWallet. Actually supports the exact same file format as PassBook and therefore the exact same passes. I'm surprised that Apple hasn't sued the developers yet actually.
- Maps. Doesn't have flyover but Google Maps has features that are actually useful such as walking directions, transit directions, bus/train/etc timetables, street view and you can walk around buildings in first person mode.

If you're going to do it, at least try and sell features that are unique to the iPhone, of which there are plenty. :)

Stinger123
Sep 16, 2012, 03:45 AM

To my knowledge, it's fully legal to do ads like this in most free countries.
As long as you only tell facts and no slanter you can mention your competition by name.

The reason why so few companies does, is that there is a very fine line not to cross. And even one wrong word can turn the ad into slanter.

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 03:45 AM
Hardly an argument, you're talking about an old old phone there.

Old tech, but a current model! It's a current model that can be purchased today, brand new and of last week directly from Apple?

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 03:46 AM
Anandtech tells a different story (look for the galaxy siii review)

Doesn't seem all that great.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/3

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 03:49 AM
This is a bit old but puts things into perspective.

http://www4.pcmag.com/media/images/323074-android-fragmentation-infographic.jpg?thumb=y

cRuNcHiE
This. There's like over 200+ versions of Android. It's why its software is flaw because its not suitable for all the different type of hardware (Samsung, HTC, Asus,etc).
Think about the iPhone 3GS it will support iOS 6. A phone thats about 3 years old. Does any of Android phones that are 3 years old (Samsung, HTC,...) support the latest version of Jelly Bean?

The htc hd2 can run jelly bean and its from 2009. Mind you it can also run Linux and various other OS's too!

Apple is not perfect , they may still update the 3GS but not without blocking it from having all the features for sometimes no reason (turn by turn nav)

Collected
I swear since the iPhone 5 launch i've seen more Android phone users talking about it than I have iPhone users.

Cankoda
What about Microsoft in an Apple ad?

They never mentioned Microsoft, they mentioned the PC market in general, but no companies were named in those ads, as they just compared certain features at the time

MrXiro
I love when companies get into slap fights... Apple should post something like "Best in the world AND in the Galaxy; iPhone 5".

Followed by a "suck it Korea" but that might be going too far. :P

AppleTools
Originally Posted by alexxxhp
Love this version of the add.. Don't forget to mention the os called ice cream sandwich samsung left it out because people might think it's dairy queen add.

Does it matter what its called? No. It could be called '3 month old soggy goat milk' it still doesnt change the function of the product.

Just like the ridiculous 'retina' marketing term by apple.

At least Retina has relevancy to the eye and sight which is totally related to the feature in question... a high resolution LCD.

I don't see where an Ice Cream Sandwich (even though they are delicious) fits into a telephone OS...

The point is, you should have chosen the cat names on OS X if you wanted to actually make a point over that... :D

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 03:50 AM
Image (http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r159/yourcrakd/iphonesamsung.jpg)

I wonder if its too late to get my version to the WSJ

Galaxy S3 has:

- Take pictures whilst recording video since launch.
- Jelly Bean update has 'Blocking Mode' (Do Not Disturb) equivalent.
- Facebook and Twitter integration.
- PassWallet (PassBook equivalent).
- Google Talk (supports video chat over WiFi and cellular like FaceTime)
- Chrome supports tab syncing (default browser doesn't)

You guys aren't getting it, you're supposed to be listing features that are unique to the iPhone, or comparing features that the iPhone does better. ;)

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 03:51 AM
Samsung copied loads of things like style of the phone and icons the way the software behaves even down to the charging adapter and product box.

I guess you have never used an Android phone because it behaves nothing like an iPhone. It's a completely different OS and how the blue hell does an Apple 30 pin charger look anything like the USB chargers Samsung uses? LOL How about Apple blatantly stealing Androids notification bar just last year? Pot meet kettle

Icaras
Sep 16, 2012, 03:53 AM
Nobody hates Samsung, that's silly...

Speak for yourself. I certainly hate Samsung.

yegon
Sep 16, 2012, 03:53 AM
Old tech, but a current model! It's a current model that can be purchased today, brand new and of last week directly from Apple?

Whilst true, it's a null argument IMO. iPhones get a minimum of two years of decent upgrades. A 3GS, whilst a painful experience for nerds like me and probably you, is still a passably decent phone that is reasonably comparable to modern phones and can probably run (not necessarily that well) lots of apps on the App Store.

Please show me an Android phone from 2009 that can do the same! (Don't factor in via custom roms, we're talking Joe Schmoe here).

I must stress, I'm largely neutral, own a Galaxy Note but would generally prefer iOS. However, I honestly feel in this area, regular upgrades, there is zero argument to be had, iPhones trounce android phones.

canesalato
Sep 16, 2012, 03:55 AM
They never mentioned Microsoft, they mentioned the PC market in general, but no companies were named in those ads, as they just compared certain features at the time

Even more. They mentioned microsoft, but only on a positive side. They promoted microsoft office, saying that the mac is able to run it. This is called being classy, which is not so easy to copy :)

Nimrad
Sep 16, 2012, 03:56 AM
Yeah, when you have only 100,000 devices in stock, you would be sold out in couple of hours; but if you'd make 1,000,000 devices on the first day (I'm just throwing the numbers as an example), it would take you longer to be sold out. Try to read about supply and demand and techniques in marketing, every company is doing it - some are more than others.

If you read a bit more about it you would've known it's not as simple as a marketing technique. Yes, there are some marketing principles, but companies selling out new products actually sell less. The bigger question is being early vs having just enough units to justify releasing. If it was all about selling out they would've released it simultaneously all over the world selling out in minutes and not delivering enough units for months. Also, they can not lose too much momentum after announcing the phone.

Cankoda
Really? So an iPhone 3G can run iOS6? That would be a neat trick. Why was Siri not available for the 4 but only the 4s? Why is turn by turn navigation only available for the 4s and up? Why is Facetime over 3G only available for the 4 and up? Oh fragmentation irony. Pot meet kettle.

For starters do you see a front camera ont the 3GS 0.o

Macist
Those 'Apple users are sheep' ads were stupid - just kept Apple in peoples' minds.

The Apple lawsuit was, on balance, bad for Apple - made them look like they were denying consumers their choice.

See, people don't like negativity, especially when it comes to consumer tat no one really needs anyway.

Just sell your products. Let the other guys sell theirs.

northernbaldy
Sep 16, 2012, 04:01 AM
How childish

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 04:01 AM
To people who commented on first page.. Feel free to edit your post with this image.

Image (https://img.skitch.com/20120916-uw9npcr3828twpcs2huunphtq.jpg)

No lag on my S3 with 1GB RAM. Didn't really lag with ICS, but definitely doesn't with Jelly Bean.

MMOTotal
Sep 16, 2012, 04:02 AM
Samsung must be scared of the iPhone 5 if they are going to this length to advertise the GS3.

Not everything has to be about specs either. It's all about the user experience.

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 04:02 AM
Leaving all the seriousness of the Apple vs Samsung fight behind... Does anyone remember the Snail and Toasted Apple ads?

They were actually really direct and insulting on the competition... The difference is that they never said anything that was inaccurate. Intel tried to sue Apple at the time but they couldn't prove that Apple wasn't telling the truth!

The irony of course is that we are all typing over Intel processors today!!! :D

Well, At least I am since I'm at my Mac. The way things are I think we will have some "A#" branded chips in Macs pretty soon...

Dangerous Theory
Sep 16, 2012, 04:04 AM
I own an S3 and it is an iPhone competitor, but that long list of features Samsung tacked on without mention of iOS features is stupid and childish. They are really petty, useless gimmicks or rarely used. iOS has a much better music and videos app, iCloud, and more sensible settings menu just to name a few. Also the comparison of S voice to Siri is just comparing one really crap feature with a crap feature.

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 04:07 AM
Those 'Apple users are sheep' ads were stupid - just kept Apple in peoples' minds.

The Apple lawsuit was, on balance, bad for Apple - made them look like they were denying consumers their choice.

See, people don't like negativity, especially when it comes to consumer tat no one really needs anyway.

Just sell your products. Let the other guys sell theirs.

"Those 'Apple users are sheep' ads were stupid - just kept Apple in peoples' minds"

AGREE.

"The Apple lawsuit was, on balance, bad for Apple - made them look like they were denying consumers their choice."

AGREE

"See, people don't like negativity, especially when it comes to consumer tat no one really needs anyway"

AGREE

"Just sell your products. Let the other guys sell theirs"

Can you tell me the secret formula for Pepsi or Coke? I'd love to sell that!

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 04:07 AM
:d

S3 equivalents:

iMessage and FaceTime - Google Talk
Elastic bounce back (Samsung got sued for this, cheap shot ;) ) - blue glow overscroll effect
Good scrolling physics - with Jelly Bean update, scrolling rivals iOS.
Siri - Google Now (with Jelly Bean update)

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

TheRainKing
Sep 16, 2012, 04:09 AM
I just imagine Samsung pulling this face as they created that ad.

http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/rage_face_sticker-p217949695683782265envb3_400.jpg

It looks like they're in full rage mode at the moment.

M87
Not gonna lie, I was disappointed with the iPhone 5 announcement to the point that I went to the store to get a Samedung Plasticy SIII. And actually comparing it with my year-old 4S the Samedung seemed like a laughable downgrade. The funny thing is, I wasn't excited in the least about the iPhone 5 until that awful experience with the SIII.

yegon
Also the comparison of S voice to Siri is just comparing one really crap feature with a crap feature.

Lol nice :)

Experiencing Siri for the first time at the mo, bunged the ios6 GM on my iPad (I skipped the 4S). Wow, I won't be using it much!

organerito
Sep 16, 2012, 04:10 AM
Sales doesn't automatically make it a better phone.

If that was the case, the Ford Fiesta is the best car in the world.

And,
Mcdonald's would be the best food in the world.

Dogface
Sep 16, 2012, 04:12 AM
Samsung make nice looking tvs. Maybe they should stick to that.

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 04:12 AM
Samsung must be scared of the iPhone 5 if they are going to this length to advertise the GS3.

Apple must be scared of Samsung if they are going to court against them in nearly every relevant country to try and ban sales of their phones.

hot spare
Sep 16, 2012, 04:13 AM
Apple has just stopped in it's path of innovation. Their latest models have absolutely nothing "new" compared to older models. It's just about "more hardware". No new feature, no new radical change in the landscape. It's the same old plain, dull, boring UI conceived 6 years back.

To give a proof: What's the difference between iPad 2 and 3? Absolutely nothing apart from screen and better GPU to drive extra pixels. Fundamentally there is not a single new stuff in new iPad or the new iPhone.

That's why people are starting to believe that they have become stagnant. They are a reflection of MS of early 2000s.

This article truly says what's not happening at Apple now. It's not bad stuff, it that they are not exciting stuffs. They will sell in millions, but they are the most boring stuffs I could ever think of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497

To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula.

Verge also had a similar article recently:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3323082/iphone-5-predictable-73-degrees-sunny

Some of that old Microsoftian "don’t mess with success" myopia seems to have affected Apple, though. Success and innovation are not the same thing, and once a company stops driving for continuous innovation, it can be a difficult trait to rekindle should business ever slow

What is even funnier is that Apple is actually suing a Polish grocery store. You heard that right, they have dragged a grocery store to court just because it's name is a.pl (pl as in Polish domain). I never thought they would stoop that low.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409669,00.asp

matttye
Image (http://i.imgur.com/RyWjY.jpg)

Apple just implemented these features that were present in other devices first: -

- Panorama
- Taking a picture whilst recording video
- Maps with navigation
- Do Not Disturb ('call reject' in Android supports blacklist based call rejection with auto-text message response). Samsung has admittedly kinda copied Apple with 'Blocking Mode' in Jelly Bean which supports whitelist based call-acceptance. You can also set 'Blocking Mode' to only run from certain times
- Pull down notification bar
- Facebook and Twitter integration
- Larger screen
- LTE
- Thinner

Who copied who? :p

canesalato
Lol nice :)

Experiencing Siri for the first time at the mo, bunged the ios6 GM on my iPad (I skipped the 4S). Wow, I won't be using it much!

I don't know how it is in english, but in italian it just sucks :mad:

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 04:14 AM
Apple has just stopped in it's path of innovation. Their latest models have absolutely nothing "new" compared to older models. It's just about "more hardware". No new feature, no new radical change in the landscape. It's the same old plain, dull, boring UI conceived 6 years back.

To give a proof: What's the difference between iPad 2 and 3? Absolutely nothing apart from screen and better GPU to drive extra pixels. Fundamentally there is not a single new stuff in new iPad or the new iPhone.

That's why people are starting to believe that they have become stagnant. They are a reflection of MS of early 2000s.

This article truly says what's not happening at Apple now. It's not bad stuff, it that they are not exciting stuffs. They will sell in millions, but they are the most boring stuffs I could ever think of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497

Verge also had a similar article recently:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3323082/iphone-5-predictable-73-degrees-sunny

What is even funnier is that Apple is actually suing a Polish grocery store. You heard that right, they have dragged a grocery store to court just because it's name is a.pl (pl as in Polish domain). I never thought they would stoop that low.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409669,00.asp

Funny and so true

Morgenland
Sep 16, 2012, 04:14 AM
They are not forbidden at all, however, what they say must be 100% true and accurate....as a result, most companies never take the risk since falsehoods can cause more than good. However this sort of advertising is entirely legal in Europe.

Again. No place for disussions. Any court in Germany would definitively stop such ads.
Wikipedia: "Vergleichende Werbung bedeutet, dass in einer Werbung die Leistung eines oder mehrerer Wettbewerber mit dem eigenen Angebot verglichen wird. In Deutschland ist die vergleichende Werbung seit dem 14. Juli 2000 aufgrund einer EG-Richtlinie unter bestimmten Vorgaben erlaubt und im Gesetz gegen den unlauteren Wettbewerb (UWG) geregelt. Beispielsweise müssen die getroffenen Aussagen auch objektiv nachprüfbar sein und der Wahrheit entsprechen. Außerdem darf (vergleichende) Werbung nicht irreführend sein und ******Wettbewerber nicht verunglimpfen***** oder herabsetzen. Vorher war vergleichende Werbung in Deutschland mit Unkenntlichmachung des Konkurrenzproduktes erlaubt" [http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergleichende_Werbung]

thats the fact.....

macnerd93
Sep 16, 2012, 04:18 AM
All I have to say is...

Welcome,
Samsung.
Seriously.

:D

Apple should have re-done one of their old classics. when Samsung started copying the iPhone xD

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 04:21 AM
To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula.

It is funny that you mention cars, specially Porsche because the 911 for example, was introduced in 1963 and the design has been kept the same all these years until today. Just got improved. Why? Because it is a great design. And if you tell me a 1963 911 is a dull car to drive you have never driven one...

The design of the iPhone changes in what it needs to be changed. If you have a great design you might be able to improve it but the changes will not be that noticeable. If you change your designs very often that clearly means there was something wrong with them...

Jimrod
Sep 16, 2012, 04:24 AM
It's a fair ad as many companies would make.

I've got my iPhone 5 on pre-order but I can see for the first time that no-one else will be playing catch-up to it. Every other iPhone has been ahead of the pack and left them clamouring to get one up on it, now they don't need to as they're already ahead. If the Android system can keep being refined the phone market is going to be far more competitive from now on.

As with most I'm not that impressed with the 5, it's kinda "meh" but we're into the eco system now so that's why it will be so popular (and why I've ordered one). I just wish Jony Ive hadn't abandoned his principals with the horrible size ratio - it's not golden that's for sure and there's no way he truly thinks that's the best work they've ever done.

subsonix
Sep 16, 2012, 04:26 AM

So you would prefer superficial design changes for it's own sake over substantial internal changes? Do they change the looks of Macs between every other model? Adding features in order to fill bullet point lists, without real use ends up being gimmicks.

Jimrod
Sep 16, 2012, 04:28 AM
It is funny that you mention cars, specially Porsche because the 911 for example, was introduced in 1963 and the design has been kept the same all these years until today. Just got improved. Why? Because it is a great design. And if you tell me a 1963 911 is a dull car to drive you have never driven one...

The design of the iPhone changes in what it needs to be changed. If you have a great design you might be able to improve it but the changes will not be that noticeable. If you change your designs very often that clearly means there was something wrong with them...

The iPhone 5 is the equivalent of going from the 993 to the 996 911's in terms of design though, it's not as good and not many like it as much as the older form factor - it won't stop it being popular but it is disappointing. Notice how Porsche reverted the next gen 911 a lot closer to the older style?

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 04:31 AM
So you would prefer superficial design changes for it's own sake over substantial internal changes? Do they change the looks of Macs between every other model? Adding features in order to fill bullet point lists, without real use ends up being gimmicks.

Here's what I'd like to see: -

1. Widgets, or at least shortcuts to common settings like Bluetooth/WiFi.
2. Decent sharing API, not just sharing to Twitter and Facebook.
3. File system access.

iOS is just too basic without at least those basic features.

Jimrod
Sep 16, 2012, 04:34 AM

3. File system access.

I think iOS is generally fine as it is but we should now have the option to remove ALL apps we don't want and add our own for any feature. They could also allow us to double up the dock (or place one in the extra row at the top) so we could pin more regularly used apps.

macnerd93
Sep 16, 2012, 04:36 AM

3. File system access.

1. iOS 6 has short cuts to bluetooth and Wifi. A lot more accessible the bluetooth now on the settings page.

2. What other social networking sites are there thats as popular as Facebook & Twitter? They are pretty much king & queen at the moment. Btw You can also share photos direct with flickr too.

3. What end user wants to deal with a file system on a phone? Other than hackers, well thats why we have Jailbreaking :P

cviddy
Sep 16, 2012, 04:37 AM
This ad is being run through the newspapers. Newspapers. Come on now, Samsung. Learn to advertise to the right demographics.

Gooberton
cool what is the market share please explain the little pie that you look at and thinks those numbers are correct.... It's called marketing..... Just like every network says the same thing on all their adds the largest network in the nation bla bla bla.....
but the fact is everywhere you go you see people with iphone and a few with androids but when you ask do you like android they say it's ok ...... you ask the same question to an iphone customer different response... it's great...... also as a developer for multiple games and apps ask the same questions to app developer, which is much better to code for and they all say the same thing iphone is much better..... It just works

Most true thing ive ever read on mac rumors, where are all these people with androids essp gs3. i see multiple people with iphones every day, and ive literally never hear a bad word from an iphone owner, ever, but android owners..." yea its good, just buggy

Sensation
I like it , good advert. The whole genius naming is a stupid idea because potential customers may think you need to be a genius to use an Apple product.

Gooberton
Sep 16, 2012, 04:39 AM
Not really. Simply because of this advertisement, I am SERIOUSLY thinking of switching to a Samsung Android phone.

hahaha. troll or clueless

ihuman:D
Sep 16, 2012, 04:39 AM
Looks like an angry 12-year-old made that ad. I love the end of the Galaxy list. They could've put anything and it would've sounded equally stupid.

Galaxy SIII:

Purple
Monkey
Bananas

THE NEXT BIG THING IS ALREADY HERE!

Excuse me!? Lol. They're too busy fighting against the iPhone that they're letting their guard down, look at the Lumia 920, it has the hardware, design and software(?) to kick the S3 to the curb and look at the camera :eek: ! I'd say it could beat a standard 12mp with the technology it has.

Jimrod
Sep 16, 2012, 04:40 AM
I like it , good advert. The whole genius naming is a stupid idea because potential customers may think you need to be a genius to use an Apple product.

I think the whole "Genius" thing wreaks of smugness on Apple's part and they should have changed it long ago. People should go into Apple stores and ask "I've got this small problem with my quantum mechanics theory, I've heard you're a genius, if I buy a phone can you help me with it?

BeardedOrc
Sep 16, 2012, 04:41 AM
I like the video of people lining up for iPhone Samsung ad better. It was funny.

sasasule
Sep 16, 2012, 04:41 AM
This ad only shows that Samsung is kind of desperate…And they try to drive attention of the buyers to S3…But from how I see it, it will just move buyers toward iPhone 5 instead.

This type of marketing that involve comparison is usually not so good idea.

But hey this is just my 2cent

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 04:44 AM
The iPhone 5 is the equivalent of going from the 993 to the 996 911's in terms of design though, it's not as good and not many like it as much as the older form factor - it won't stop it being popular but it is disappointing. Notice how Porsche reverted the next gen 911 a lot closer to the older style?

The iPhone 5 would be the equivalent of the 991 911 which is the latest model if you 'd like to compare specifically to Porsche. But the point is that the basic design remains the same when it is a good design. You can go up and down with small things but not a whole makeover. Like the lights on the 911 models you mention (I didn't like them either) so they got back to the original idea.

Look at the aluminum back on the iPhone for example. The first one had one but the construction at that time wasn't completely developed. Now it has an aluminum unibody housing that actually does the job and it makes the phone sturdier and thiner. Do I like the glass back better? May be. I'll wait until I have the new iPhone in my hands to decide.

The point is, the iPhone design is pretty much the same because it is a great design. Simple and easy to use. Time doesn't make a design obsolete. Just a better design can make a design obsolete and so far everybody is copying the iPhone's design so until I see something better I think Apple should keep it like that and make the necessary improvements without changing the whole recipe.

Gooberton
Let's be honest, the only reason the iPhone even sells is because of iTunes. It doesn't sell for the use of syncing between it and a Mac computer since the vast majority of people in the US own PCs. It doesn't sell for the screen size or the specs because there are larger phones out there with better specs. The only reason it sells is because too many people think itunes is the only way to get multimedia to their phones and they are heavily invested in it. The iPod got everyone tied into iTunes and the iPhone just followed right along. If it weren't for people being so attached to iTunes, iPhone with the small screen and inferior specs wouldn't even be in the top 5 selling smartphones.
ahh, have you owned an iphone? first off your looking for the word ecosystem, and yes thats a big deal, it should not be downplayed but dont be foolish, iphone sells due to the OS and design of the phone, ONLY FANDROIDS AND KIDS WANT A HUGE SCREEN, who cares, its a phone in your pocket, if you want a huge scren go home and log on your computer!

QEin
I'm not buying an iPhone 5. I'll stick with my 3GS. Why? Well iPhone 5 is missing some features I want, like wireless charging. Will I buy an Andriod? Not on your life. I find the operating system clunky and hard to use and it would not easily work with my new Mac and my iPad. On the other hand, iOS is intuitive and all my devices easily work together.

I don't care that the galaxy has a bigger screen, or a micro SD slot, or slightly higher screen resolution. Make it an iOS device and I might be interested. Oh wait, you can't.

Roll on iPhone 6 (or an iPhone 5 if I drop and smash my 3GS in the next 2 years). Naff off Samsung.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 04:46 AM
1. iOS 6 has short cuts to bluetooth and Wifi. A lot more accessible the bluetooth now Right on the settings page.

2. What other social networking sites are there thats as popular as Facebook & Twitter? They are pretty much king & queen at the moment. Btw You can also share photos direct with flickr too.

3. What end user wants to deal with a file system on a phone? Other than hackers, well thats why we have Jailbreaking :P

1. I have to enable/disable those settings multiple times a day. I'd rather just drag down the notification bar or have a widget right on the home screen. What about other settings people want to change too?

2. Not just to social networking sites. Here's a list of services my Android phone can share to: -

a. Group Cast (friends who are connected to the same WiFi network)
b. Dropbox
c. Picasa
d. Google+
e. S Memo (a memo/note taking app in my phone)
f. Bluetooth
g. Wi-Fi Direct (similar to sharing a file over Bluetooth, but uses WiFi)
h. Messaging
i. ChatON
j. Flipboard
k. Email
l. Facebook
m. Facebook Messenger
n. Twitter
o. BBC News
p. Skype
q. Evernote (a different note creating app)
r. Any other app you install that implements the sharing API.

3. If you don't want to deal with it you wouldn't have to. I rarely use the file system on my Android phone. You can access files using the gallery, music, word processing apps etc as you normally would. The file system isn't forced on you, it's just there when you need it (like when you want to attach a file to an email).

----------

I think iOS is generally fine as it is but we should now have the option to remove ALL apps we don't want and add our own for any feature. They could also allow us to double up the dock (or place one in the extra row at the top) so we could pin more regularly used apps.

Agreed.

iKream
Sep 16, 2012, 04:47 AM
You know you're getting desperate when you're advertising that your phone can take screenshots...

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 04:49 AM
I think the whole "Genius" thing wreaks of smugness on Apple's part and they should have changed it long ago. People should go into Apple stores and ask "I've got this small problem with my quantum mechanics theory, I've heard you're a genius, if I buy a phone can you help me with it?

hahahaha! I totally agree!

I often have to interrupt and correct them. Apple should change the name to Apple Fellows or Buddies... :D

But then, the average user tends to ask average questions so if no quantum mechanics are involved they are pretty much ok on their answers... :D

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 04:50 AM
You know you're getting desperate when you're advertising that your phone can take screenshots...

They're advertising the method used to take the screenshot, but yeah that was pretty silly.

Sedrick
Sep 16, 2012, 04:52 AM
Man, lot of butt-hurt going on here. I think it's a pretty smart add and very effective. It's for the masses, remember? And it's the first real competition Apple has had. Get over it.

macchiato2009
Sep 16, 2012, 04:55 AM
I don't like to defend Apple because i just really don't care

but Samsung's move is really stupid

they seems desperate

their last tv commercials over the past months were anti-Apple and this ad is the ultimate troll

when you are a multinational company making great products, you just need to promote your own products the best way to make them appealing, not putting all your efforts and energy into criticizing the rival...

same goes for politics if you see what i mean

CynanX
Sep 16, 2012, 04:59 AM
But it is. VERY.

No, it's not. The word has different meanings (three that i know of) and should be read in context.

Step 1. Choose better mates

Now that's is offensive and a personal attack.

theanimaster
Sep 16, 2012, 04:59 AM
In related news, SamEsong apologises and would like to issue the following corrections to their ad:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/6344712045411580/samsunglawdegree2_by_theanimaster-d5ez8oz.png

Ih8Bart
Sep 16, 2012, 05:01 AM
😱 This add has convinced me completly! I don't have any time now, gotta get my S*ms*ng NOW! ... -sarcasm off-

Jimrod
Sep 16, 2012, 05:04 AM
The iPhone 5 would be the equivalent of the 991 911 which is the latest model if you 'd like to compare specifically to Porsche. But the point is that the basic design remains the same when it is a good design. You can go up and down with small things but not a whole makeover. Like the lights on the 911 models you mention (I didn't like them either) so they got back to the original idea.

(Just trimmed the quote to show what I'm referencing without taking up a page!)

I generally agree that the iPhone is a very smart, well constructed and evolved design. The latest version does indeed refine and improve many aspects of the previous one (I've ordered one after all!).

My, and many other's main criticism is the actual size/shape/ratio - it's just not nice or appealing. They should have made the phone wider as well as taller, it wouldn't have to be much, a few mm, but as it is the gains from the taller only screen are minimal in daily portrait orientation usage for a far uglier shape.

Apple can say they want you to be able reach it all with a thumb but that's just marketing - it's easier to put your thumb across than up and as I said it wouldn't have to be much wider in any case. There's a lot of blank space at the top and bottom that doesn't work with the elongated design and minimal space at the sides.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple stick with their "best ever design" for the iPhone 6.

daveathall
Sep 16, 2012, 05:05 AM
After losing to Apple in court recently, one would have thought that Samsung's lawyers would have been consulted before such an ad was released, one would have thought that Samsung would err on the side of caution, one would have thought that all the facts on the ad will have been checked and double checked for accuracy, if they are in any way inaccurate one would have thought that Apple would take Samsung to court. We will see.

hot spare
Sep 16, 2012, 05:06 AM
Samsung is "right" to use such commercial. Ok, now I don't mean "right" as in law terms, but as in terms of marketing.

The success of Samsung can to some extent be attributed to the recognition they got as a iPhone alternative. When people ask what alternatives do they have for iPhone, Galaxy S-series phones come to mind. One thing to note here is that those youtube "barista" commercials and these iPhone comparison was meant only for US, not for rest of the world. You may want to look at the reason for this. US is the "hometurf" for Apple. Everywhere else in the world, Samsung is the clear market leader. Samsung is till the underdog in US as Apple has been able to get the attention of major part of the population. Samsung needs attention of the common people in US to increase their sales. This straight comparison is a method of sending a message to customers that there are devices apart from Apple which are just as good. And this is doing exactly what they expected. This is generating news, getting page hits and creating a buzz or a controversy.

In terms of objective, this ad managed to do what is expected - raise customer awareness about Samsung product. Corporates love this. Fanboy-ish fight in the forums is least of Samsung's concern...

Sep 16, 2012, 05:07 AM
Apple must be scared of Samsung if they are going to court against them in nearly every relevant country to try and ban sales of their phones.

That's what copycats deserve for blatantly and willfully infringing on patents. Do you see Apple suing MS, RIM or HP for that matter?

I am getting an iPhone 5 anyway, and couldn't care less about that buggy monstrosity called Galaxy.

r3m1
Sep 16, 2012, 05:08 AM
Man, lot of butt-hurt going on here. I think it's a pretty smart add and very effective. It's for the masses, remember? And it's the first real competition Apple has had. Get over it.

Agree -- people here should get over it. I remember the same kind of ads when Apple was up against Microsoft.

If it is not the Samsung S3, it is the Nokia --- within 6 months there will be better phone to beat them all.

The iPhone 5 is the phone they should have released 1 year ago to keep up with the Jonesses.

Winni
Sep 16, 2012, 05:08 AM
This ad only shows that Samsung is kind of desperate…And they try to drive attention of the buyers to S3…But from how I see it, it will just move buyers toward iPhone 5 instead.

This type of marketing that involve comparison is usually not so good idea.

But hey this is just my 2cent

The world market leader is desperate? Now why would that be? Even if they might have to pay that billion dollars to Apple when the legal fight some day is finally over, "in the grand scheme of things, that is just a speeding ticket". They still out-sell Apple and everybody else in the smartphone market. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out why that is: They have GREAT products in all price segments.

Marketing that involves comparison is not a good idea? Maybe. It's illegal in many countries (including Germany where I live), but it's an American invention so you probably have to live with it. Apple is doing it all the time as well - on a very childish level, one might add - but I usually don't hear you guys complaining about it when Apple does it.

Technologically, the Galaxy S3 is superior to the iPhone 5 in every single aspect. The iPhone's aluminum body is nice, I give it that. But that doesn't change the fact that it represents last year's technology, lacks vision and innovation, is part of a walled garden ecosystem and still has a screen that's simply too small. The iPhone 5 might be a nice improvement for current iPhone users, but it certainly won't attract any Android customers.

Sheza
Sep 16, 2012, 05:09 AM
Couldn't Samsung be done for essentially leaking the amount of RAM the iPhone 5 has? Since they are the supplier, and I didn't think news would travel fast enough for them to make a national advert just moments after the part numbers pointed to 1GB RAM.

Sep 16, 2012, 05:10 AM
Omfg I wish I saw this ad before. Twice the features and half the price? I, canceling me order.

Your joking, right?

Winni
Sep 16, 2012, 05:11 AM
If it is not the Samsung S3, it is the Nokia --- within 6 months there will be better phone to beat them all.

At this point, this is whishful thinking. Windows Mobile has an almost non-existant ecosystem around it. But even if it will gain momentum - Samsung also sells Windows Mobile Phones RIGHT NOW, not in six months...

Dreamer2go
Sep 16, 2012, 05:12 AM
For this reason, I will switch back to using iPhone than the S3... =)

ppdix
"Samsung" is Korean for "Desperate"

AppleTools
I think that more than trying to hurt iPhone sales, Samsung is trying to recover a little bit form the huge hit they just had in court. Not only economically but on their own ego and reputation.

Trying to make people think their product is better than Apple's is just a way to lessen the fact that they looked awful in front of the whole industry.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 05:17 AM
In related news, SamEsong apologises and would like to issue the following corrections to their ad:

Image (http://www.deviantart.com/download/6344712045411580/samsunglawdegree2_by_theanimaster-d5ez8oz.png)

- Samsung had panoramic shots before the iPhone.
- Samsung Dive is a find-my-iPhone equivalent.
- Smart alert vibrates when you pick up the phone and you have notifications, it is nothing like Siri's geofencing alerts.
- NFC is really useful, but you probably don't know what it's capable of and therefore dismiss it as something you don't need. ;)
- "No stupid functions that will accidentally mute" - it can be turned off. It never accidentally muted for me anyway.
- FaceTime HD - Google Talk has video chat.
- iCloud tabs - Google Chrome had this before Apple announced it.
- The ability to root if you want moar.
- "Apps that make it functional, not crap you're stuck with" - WHAT?!?! Stocks, and other junk has been unremovable on the iPhone from day one. You might not be able to uninstall the bloatware apps on the Galaxy S3, but you can hide them from the app drawer.
- GPS and Maps that absolutely rock - Google Maps, you mean?
- "Storage that won't get lost" - the micro SD card is slotted in under the battery which is covered by a back cover. How exactly can you lose that unless you're a complete idiot?

Educate yourself. :rolleyes: You're just making the iOS-side look completely ignorant.

ppdix
Sep 16, 2012, 05:17 AM
I think that more than trying to hurt iPhone sales, Samsung is trying to recover a little bit form the huge hit they just had in court. Not only economically but on their own ego and reputation.

Trying to make people think their product is better than Apple's is just a way to lessen the fact that they looked awful in front of the whole industry.
Then they should invest in a better advertising campaign. One that doesn't make them look jealous and desperate.

NStocks
Sep 16, 2012, 05:18 AM
Perhaps one of the dumbest things about this, is that none of those "features" the S3 or any other smartphone for that would be there if it wasn't for iPhone.

No matter what anyone claims to say, the iPhone started everything in this industry and in this decade. Sure touch-screens where apparently a Microsoft thing a couple of decades ago, but nobody made them smart enough to even use. Only Apple decided to revolutionise the touch screen to work in a ordinary daily object.

What about the App Store,iTunes Store and Cloud services? Samsung selectively left them out as they have no competition against them.

Sep 16, 2012, 05:20 AM
A lot of butt-hurt fan kiddies today. Who gives a shlt about the add. It's just an add that forces people to see the facts. Nothing more, nothing less. So stop crying like Sammy just took your lunch money. Enjoy your new longPhone and don't worry about what any other person or Corporation thinks about your fruity little out dated phone. Seriously, just enjoy it. You feelin' me?

At least ours can fit in our pockets...

SilenceBe
Sep 16, 2012, 05:20 AM
The ironic thing is that a lot of normal people don't understand half of the technical "mumbo jumbo" and they will NEED (in their POV) a genius to explain what every feature does... .

Samsung suffers the general sickness of the industry, thinking that it is all about features and not about UX. You can take a big group of people by waving features, but it is the worst (especially if you don't implement it right) to build up a long standing customer relationship.

It seems they don't have any geniuses working in their marketing department.

The inmates are also running the Asylum within Samsung. Yes, they do fine but that is mostly because they are having hundreds smartphones in the range of 100 to 700 euro's (without a contract)

chaosbringer
Sep 16, 2012, 05:21 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but since the iPhone pictured is an Apple product, doesn't Samsung need permission to use it in whatever campaign...:confused:

SpyderBite
Sep 16, 2012, 05:22 AM
Regardless of the purpose of the ad.. Very few of the people who still read a print version of a newspaper care about most of those featured much less even know what they mean or how to use them. XD

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 05:27 AM
They still out-sell Apple and everybody else in the smartphone market. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out why that is: They have GREAT products in all price segments.

Technologically, the Galaxy S3 is superior to the iPhone 5 in every single aspect. The iPhone's aluminum body is nice, I give it that. But that doesn't change the fact that it represents last year's technology, lacks vision and innovation, is part of a walled garden ecosystem and still has a screen that's simply too small. The iPhone 5 might be a nice improvement for current iPhone users, but it certainly won't attract any Android customers.

You can't measure quality by sales. McDonald's outsells all the best restaurants in the world, together! I rather drive my BMW than a Toyota Camry even though Toyota sells a million kazillion more cars than BMW.

A bigger screen and more RAM does not make a technology device better than another. It is the OS and the way they work together what makes the difference.

It is nice to have a walled ecosystem when it has a trillion Apps! It's like living in NY but without the crime!

Small screen? I bet you'd buy an iPad if you could make a phone call with it!!! :D

I though Samsung were trying to attract iPhone users with that add and not the opposite...

Samsung is indeed desperate to roll an ad like this.

SpyderBite
Sep 16, 2012, 05:28 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but since the iPhone pictured is an Apple product, doesn't Samsung need permission to use it in whatever campaign...:confused:

Not anymore. The big Pepsi vs. Coke court war in the 80s made it legal to use a competitors product name & likeness in advertising as long as they are not lying directly about the product. Eg it would have been illegal for Samsung to state that the iPhone explodes in people's hands causing physical damage or that it dropped more calls by a specific percentage without mentioning it varies by carrier and coverage.

bushido
Sep 16, 2012, 05:32 AM
well, i think both phones r awesome and im glad customers have the choice to buy either.

first people faught over religion, now they fight over smartphones. pathetic, just get what suits ur needs.

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 05:32 AM
then they should invest in a better advertising campaign. One that doesn't make them look jealous and desperate.

agree!!!

macs4nw
Sep 16, 2012, 05:33 AM
Maybe they should add a line:
Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents.
Samsung: Found by a court to be infringing design patents.

Samsung needs to compare themselves to other android devices, not the iPhone, because most iPhone owners don't give a *****.

Looks like an angry 12-year-old made that ad. I love the end of the Galaxy list. They could've put anything and it would've sounded equally stupid.
Galaxy SIII:
Purple
Monkey
Bananas
THE NEXT BIG THING IS ALREADY HERE!

Free advertising for Apple :D

I think everything that needs to be said about this has pretty well already been said in the almost 700 above posts. It just occurred to me that SAMSUNG must be feeling pretty insecure/vulnerable about the iPhone to launch such an attack ad. At least one of their assertions is highly doubtful, ie their claim of "up to 790 hrs stand-by time"; that's almost 33 days. Not that it would sway most people one way or the other. I'm guessing, not THAT many people don't use their phone for a month, and then expect it to instantly spring to life.

Consumers of high-tech gadgetry are pretty sophisticated nowadays and the iPhone's performance will speak for itself. We don't have to rush out and dump our APPL stock just yet. :)

neilmacd summed it up perfectly: Free advertising for Apple.

Abazigal
Sep 16, 2012, 05:33 AM

In apple's defense, I would argue that the initial design was so refined that there is a limit to how well it can be further improved. If there was a problem, it was only because Apple virtually got it right the first time round!

IOS is like the kid who scored near full marks for his first test at the start of the year. Doesn't leave him a lot of room for improvements. Conversely, when gingerbread stank, it isn't hard to come out with improvements when everything is a problem.

Take the ipad. It is essentially a giant screen with an equally huge battery. What can you possibly do to improve on it, barring spec upgrades (which was basically what the ipad2 was). Improving its resolution seemed like the only step.

Same for the iphone. The unibody is the redesign. It admitably doesn't look like much, and were it not for this article (http://thetechblock.com/the-unibody-iphone) explaining what it does, I probably wouldn't know any better. But it works by allowing for a thinner, lighter yet stronger phone. Better than some cheap plastic casing at any rate.

But isn't this the beauty of apple? So many improvements to its iphone are entirely under the hood. How hard would it be to simply add some purely aesthetic improvements that convey the illusion of a massively new redesign, but Apple steadfastly resisted that siren's call.

chaosbringer
Sep 16, 2012, 05:35 AM
Not anymore. The big Pepsi vs. Coke court war in the 80s made it legal to use a competitors product name & likeness in advertising as long as they are not lying directly about the product. Eg it would have been illegal for Samsung to state that the iPhone explodes in people's hands causing physical damage or that it dropped more calls by a specific percentage without mentioning it varies by carrier and coverage.

Didn't know that, thanks! ;)

Regardless, don't like these kind of ads, always tell only one side of the story with incomplete data and only tech specs, a product is much more then [incomplete] specs, regardless of who makes them. :(

RobertMartens
Sep 16, 2012, 05:36 AM
I do. In fact, I am considering hopping sides from the iPhone world so yea

Don't do it man, don't do it. Put the phone down, and step back away from it slowly. You're gonna make it. We are here for you.

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 05:39 AM
I'm not buying an iPhone 5. I'll stick with my 3GS. Why? Well iPhone 5 is missing some features I want, like wireless charging. Will I buy an Andriod? Not on your life. I find the operating system clunky and hard to use and it would not easily work with my new Mac and my iPad. On the other hand, iOS is intuitive and all my devices easily work together.

I don't care that the galaxy has a bigger screen, or a micro SD slot, or slightly higher screen resolution. Make it an iOS device and I might be interested. Oh wait, you can't.

Roll on iPhone 6 (or an iPhone 5 if I drop and smash my 3GS in the next 2 years). Naff off Samsung.

Good luck, we've already heard why they think inductive charging is pointless. And while I kind of wanted it, they make a very good point. It adds almost no real value over just being neat.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 05:41 AM
Good luck, we've already heard why they think inductive charging is pointless. And while I kind of wanted it, they make a very good point. It adds almost no real value over just being neat.

If Apple added inductive charging they'd make less profits on people having to buy new chargers as the old ones have stopped working through wear and tear. When you don't have to keep on plugging in and unplugging your charger, it's less likely to break.

(true reason)

jafingi
Sep 16, 2012, 05:43 AM
I like that Samsung actually point out their own phone's weaknesses in this ad.

- iPhone has higher pixel density (330ppi vs 306ppi)
- iPhone is lighter than the S3 (hasn't Android fanboys always blamed the iPhone for being "heavy"?)

And I like how they highlight their own software features, and don't even list a single software feature of the iPhone (okay.. they list Siri, but that's compared to their own clone).

Also, they've marketed their S3 as "incredibly thin"... But now that the iPhone 5 come out thinner, they quietly remove that from their advertising.

To me, the Galaxy S3 is (I guess - haven't tried it), a fine phone. But build quality wise, it looks like cheap plastic compared to iPhone 5's state-of-the-art build quality (seriously.. everybody must admit that iPhone 4-5 has the best build quality on the market).

Loono
Sep 16, 2012, 05:47 AM
Loved the "a totally different plug" hahah.

japanime
Sep 16, 2012, 05:54 AM
Can't we all just get along?

Seriously. They are just phones, after all.

FatMax
Sep 16, 2012, 05:55 AM
I have had some minutes with an SG3, and I have to say the experience was horrible. I had to set up accounts for a non-tech user, so you could say I had to see the innards in order for it to function properly.
It is smooth, more smooth than any Android I have used, but the UI is so lacking. It's like the guides does not know what page is coming next. When an error occurred, there would be describing text, lasting for a whopping 1.2 seconds, before getting thrown out of the process. Maybe the marketing genius who makes these ads should follow up on the UI department, to further improve their next big thing? And what is up with all the fuzz on widgets? A clock? Weather? Right in your face? Look out the window for crying out loud!

Also, transfering contacts via Bluetooth from a Nokia was like eating chilli in hell. It didn't support full list transfer, so you had to do one by one contact to transfer. SyncML only syncs one way apparently.

Rubbish phone in my mind.

AppleTools
Sep 16, 2012, 05:55 AM
I really laugh when people say that the Galaxy is better because it has a big screen... So I wish Apple (not really just joking!) would make an iPad that could make cellular calls. That'll give those guys something to compare with!

The next Samsung phone will sport an HDTV tuner all with it's 32" screen!!! :D

I remember when it was cool to have the smallest phone!!! Definitely things change!

iapplelove
Sep 16, 2012, 06:03 AM
one would think this is probably the very end of any samsung apple parts deal as well. even though it is two separate companies i would highly doubt apple will ever use samsung again for even screws.

edit: when i mean 2 different companies i mean samsung retail and their parts and dev. depot.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 06:05 AM
I have had some minutes with an SG3, and I have to say the experience was horrible. I had to set up accounts for a non-tech user, so you could say I had to see the innards in order for it to function properly.
It is smooth, more smooth than any Android I have used, but the UI is so lacking. It's like the guides does not know what page is coming next. When an error occurred, there would be describing text, lasting for a whopping 1.2 seconds, before getting thrown out of the process. Maybe the marketing genius who makes these ads should follow up on the UI department, to further improve their next big thing? And what is up with all the fuzz on widgets? A clock? Weather? Right in your face? Look out the window for crying out loud!

Also, transfering contacts via Bluetooth from a Nokia was like eating chilli in hell. It didn't support full list transfer, so you had to do one by one contact to transfer. SyncML only syncs one way apparently.

Rubbish phone in my mind.

You don't have to have clock and weather widgets.. you can customise (I know that word is alien when you've only ever used iPhones for any length of time) it to your liking. I, for example, have my agenda on my home screen. I can read it, mark tasks as complete or add new ones.

Bluetooth is by far not the best way to transfer contacts so I don't know why you did it that way anyway.

Shaun, UK
Sep 16, 2012, 06:12 AM
I think they do have a point. Apart from a slightly modified design there really isn't anything new about the iPhone 5. There are no breakthrough technologies in there. It's a very safe update with little or no innovation. Some of the added features Samsung list sound very interesting.

I'm just waiting for EE to launch their 4G service in the UK later this year before I upgrade my phone. It's a straight choice between the iPhone 5 and the S3. As it stands I think the S3 is the better phone.

MartinTH
Sep 16, 2012, 06:13 AM
can't we all just get along?

Seriously. They are just phones, after all.
qft

G4DP
Sep 16, 2012, 06:13 AM
lol I love the plug reference, but what they have failed to say sinc ethe iphone has release the iphone has released 2 plugs in 5 yrs where samsung has released 17 haha.. i got to find the post who posted that..

Shame you are comparing a change in phone adapter, compared to a companies whole range of products. How many different connections has Apple used for their displays?

irnchriz
Sep 16, 2012, 06:14 AM
Samsung has 4 models of Galaxy SIII

Only one has a quad core cpu, the other 3 have dual core.

The Verizon, AT&T and T-mobile models all have dual core CPU's @1.5ghz

Chipset Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon
CPU Dual-core 1.5 GHz
GPU Adreno 225

Only the world phone has quad core and even at that the graphic performance lags behind the old iPhone 4S.

SeniorGato1
Sep 16, 2012, 06:15 AM
Samsung forgot:

"supports simultaneous voice and data"

davester
Sep 16, 2012, 06:17 AM
Jesus Christ, Samsung - sour fricking grapes!!! Just be thankful for getting where you are with the help of some blatant, shameless thievery. Without Apple, you would've been nothing in the smartphone marketplace - NOTHING!

DodgeV83
Sep 16, 2012, 06:18 AM
You can't measure quality by sales. McDonald's outsells all the best restaurants in the world, together! I rather drive my BMW than a Toyota Camry even though Toyota sells a million kazillion more cars than BMW.

It came out during the trial that Samsung's top selling phone, is a cheap prepaid model. A lot of people don't realize this, but you're exactly right.

bushido
Sep 16, 2012, 06:22 AM
Samsung forgot:

"supports simultaneous voice and data"

huh? every phone does that minus CDMA from verizon thats still in use for whatever reason in the US in 2012

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 06:24 AM
Only the world phone has quad core and even at that the graphic performance lags behind the old iPhone 4S.

No. (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_vs_htc_one_x-review-759p4.php)

olowott
Sep 16, 2012, 06:25 AM
maybe they should add a line:

Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents.
Samsung: Found by a court to be infringing design patents.

love it!!!

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 06:26 AM
If Apple added inductive charging they'd make less profits on people having to buy new chargers as the old ones have stopped working through wear and tear. When you don't have to keep on plugging in and unplugging your charger, it's less likely to break.

(true reason)

True because you work at Apple? BS

Why is this place so damn cynical?

RichardI
Sep 16, 2012, 06:26 AM
I think Samsung is right. Being found guilty by a US court of law proves it. Aren't they the same group that gives murderers and rapists 3 or 4 years in prison? What a joke. Go Samsung!

Atari5001
Sep 16, 2012, 06:31 AM
Samsung, Umad?

Bevz
Sep 16, 2012, 06:31 AM
The new iPhone may not be perfect, but neither is the S3; it has cheap and nasty build quality and it's like holding a brick to your face when you're calling someone (reminds me of my first phone in the early nineties, but thinner). Oh, and it's got Android, which i just don't like; i know a lot of people do, but a lot of people like Windows and i can't stand that either....

All of this is academic anyway as this is just typical advertising hyperbole!
I understand they all do it (including Apple), but in the context of recent events, this just comes across as humourless, vindictive and crude. More reasons to not give Samsung any of my money IMHO

pandamonia
Sep 16, 2012, 06:32 AM
The only things that are actually useful in that list are NFC, expandable storage, removable battery, and a larger screen(this is subjective as some prefer a compact phone), rest of the crap is just gimmicky and wouldn't call them features. Stupid ad IMO

Thats enough to make the S3 better than the iPhone 5!

All those features you just listed are seriously better than iPhone

Bevz
Sep 16, 2012, 06:34 AM

Although that wireless charging loop someone demo'd in an iMac last year looked super cool!! Basically charges anything within 6 foot of your iMac! :) Now, THAT would be something Apple may well do in the future - at least i'm hoping they're looking into it! :)

pandamonia
Sep 16, 2012, 06:34 AM
love it!!!

hey dipstick

you live in the UK

Apple lost its court case in the UK.

epic fail apple fanboy

Sep 16, 2012, 06:35 AM
-2GB Ram (misleading)

Android is far far worse of a resourse hog than the iPhone but either way few smartphones will ever make use of any ram above 1GB. There will be no performance difference between the two due to ram

Not really misleading. Both Android and iOS apps could theoretically reference at least 2.5GB RAM if the device had that much memory. And there is a difference on iOS devices with less RAM than current models. You'll find iOS apps are forced to quit inelegantly a lot more frequently on older devices containing less RAM than current models due to memory constraints.

I haven't tested Jelly Bean yet, and I may never get the chance of my current Android device, but definitely I agree ICS has serious performance issues that can lock up devices pretty bad.

- A totally different lightning plug vs Standard Micro USB plug. (meaningless)

It's just a plug, both will eventually terminate in a USB plug or a peripheral. The real difference would be what comes after the plug ie the cable, which people will mainly care about the price of the lightning stuff until someone releases a chinese versions for $0.50

Not meaningless. Being able to use a universal plug to connect a range of different devices is definitely a positive thing. Being able to connect a camera to a Mac without playing hunt the Panasonic proprietary plug is definitely a positive thing. More and more non-Apple devices have been getting on board the Micro USB standard, and that's a positive thing for consumers.

Lightning also has a much higher throughput than USB.

Not really. "The advantages are mostly passed on through hardware design — not necessarily around performance."

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/apples-new-lightning-connector-what-it-does-and-doesnt-change/

- All the other marketing terms for their features. (very very misleading)

Almost all marketing is misleading by design. Even Apple marketing.

Each OS has thousands of features the other OS doesn't. To not list the many featurs iOS has while listing yours is and outright atempt to be misleading.

Their job is to sell Samsung devices not promote Apple's in a positive light. Advertising doesn't claim to be fair. They come up with the comparisons that are favorable to their device and advertise them. That's what any good company what do.

In any comparison between the features between the two it's worth noting that the iPhone 5 is made of better materials, has the Samsung Exynos 5 processor (Apple's version of) versus the SIII's Samsung Exynos 4 in the international Galaxy SIII. (The Us Galaxy SIII of course has different slower procesor than the SIII international version too). It's also thinner, has better microphones, has better call quality, has better cameras and better speakers.

It sounds like you been blessed with the opportunity to have tested the new iPhone 5 extensively having drawn so many positive conclusions about Apple's new phone. :D