PDA

View Full Version : See Samsung's Sunday newspaper ad about the iPhone 5. Whats your thoughts? (merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Atari5001
Sep 16, 2012, 06:36 AM
Jesus Christ, Samsung - sour fricking grapes!!! Just be thankful for getting where you are with the help of some blatant, shameless thievery. Without Apple, you would've been nothing in the smartphone marketplace - NOTHING!

⬆True

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 06:43 AM
True because you work at Apple? BS

Why is this place so damn cynical?

Apple didn't become the richest company in the world by making friends. They're ruthless. They always charge over the odds for their products, and they've made questionable decisions on a number of exclusions from their devices.

Flash - potentially takes away customers who would buy games, if they can just play Flash games.
Lack of external storage solutions (MicroSD) - they want people to buy a bigger iPhone.
MicroUSB - they don't want you to be able to use generic accessories that suit a myriad of products, they want you to use their over priced accessories.

Need I go on?

canesalato
Sep 16, 2012, 06:46 AM
Apple didn't become the richest company in the world by making friends. They're ruthless. They always charge over the odds for their products, and they've made questionable decisions on a number of exclusions from their devices.

Flash - potentially takes away customers who would buy games, if they can just play Flash games.
Lack of external storage solutions (MicroSD) - they want people to buy a bigger iPhone.
MicroUSB - they don't want you to be able to use generic accessories that suit a myriad of products, they want you to use their over priced accessories.

Need I go on?
Yes, please ;)

kokako
Sep 16, 2012, 06:49 AM
samsung - what a company! what a truly pathetic ad campaign, if I stole all of my music then I probably wouldn't mind buying a phone that stole most of what went into it's brick design.

I suggest if you need something Apple doesn't make go Sony, they were an electronics company that invented tech rather then just stole.

You get what you get SAMSTOLE

charlesdayton
Sep 16, 2012, 06:51 AM
This ad is silly. It just gives the iPhone 5 more exposure. Seems like a desperate attempt that will backfire. People are not naive enough for this ad.

pandamonia
Sep 16, 2012, 06:51 AM
samsung - what a company! what a truly pathetic ad campaign, if I stole all of my music then I probably wouldn't mind buying a phone that stole most of what went into it's brick design.

I suggest if you need something Apple doesn't make go Sony, they were an electronics company that invented tech rather then just stole.

You get what you get SAMSTOLE

Apple Ran them vs PC for years and they weren't any better. Short memory Apple Fanboys have

Cavalier777
Sep 16, 2012, 06:52 AM
truth is there's not a good phone on the market.

Theophany
Sep 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
ITT:

http://leagueofbikepolo.com/sites/leagueofbikepolo.com/files/Good-good-let-the-********-flow-through-you-1.jpeg

It's an advert. It's designed to convince people to buy their product. It's actually quite disturbing that you're all going jihad over it. Have you all forgotten Apple's attack ads over the years? :confused:

Oh, and two words for everybody going on about Samsung being thieves:

XEROX PARC.

Jesus...

darkslayer13
Sep 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
The last line (which is the only line any smartphone user cares about) should read:

Apple - Simply works
Samsung - Simply buggy

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 06:54 AM
Yes, please ;)

- Withholding voice commands from the iPhone 3G.
- Withholding Siri from the iPhone 4/iPad 2.
- Withholding turn-by-turn and flyover from the iPhone 4.
- Withholding multitasking from the iPhone 3G.
- Withholding MMS from the original iPhone.

Too easy :p

jamesryanbell
Sep 16, 2012, 06:55 AM
Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents.
Samsung: Found by a court to be infringing design patents.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
The last line (which is the only line any smartphone user cares about) should read:

Apple - Simply works
Samsung - Simply buggy

My phone isn't buggy at all. Have you used one or are you going by what other Apple fans have said?

----------

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3wIZenR7WDM/UD47sFrLiQI/AAAAAAAAAEM/hV47knju5Fg/s400/iphone+vs+android+notifications.jpg

Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents. (but still thieves)

kiljoy616
Sep 16, 2012, 07:00 AM
More like

Apple: Sues over anything

And so they should if a company can only copy and make nothing of their own.

Your basically saying you and the rest of the haters don't want an iphone but they will buy a bloatware loaded copy ROFL. :rolleyes:

darkslayer13
Sep 16, 2012, 07:01 AM
My phone isn't buggy at all. Have you used one or are you going by what other Apple fans have said?

My girlfriend has it and it already stopped working after the last wireless update. Now she only gets 4 hours of usage out of it because there are hidden apps running in the background draining her memory which she has no control to stop. She also has to continually reset it because it freezes on her often.

Doesnt matter how good of specs your phone is. If you are running android, you know you've had some problems at some point. I have owned 4 iPhones now. At least each one gets better and better as apple only creates one device and one software, and perfects them. This past year I have owned the 4S, I have not had a single issue or had to reset my phone for any reason - and I use my phone ALL the time.

I don't really think the iPhone 5 is that great of an update. But one thing i'm sure of is that it will work!

----------

----------

Image (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3wIZenR7WDM/UD47sFrLiQI/AAAAAAAAAEM/hV47knju5Fg/s400/iphone+vs+android+notifications.jpg)

Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents. (but still thieves)

driceman
Sep 16, 2012, 07:02 AM
I'd like to know if those battery life statements are accurate. The 5 isn't out yet so I guess we'll have to wait and see, but who's gotten 11 hours of talk time on the Galaxy?

kiljoy616
Sep 16, 2012, 07:02 AM
If Samsung, MS, Sony, Google, Motorola or anyone else does sleazy marketing its petty and pathetic
If Apple does sleazy advertising its art

Its an ad and it does make a point whether we accept it or not so why the heck is anyone offended? Just because we prefer Apple products doesnt mean competition shouldnt exist.

Apple adds are smart and funny, only bad ones was those terrible adds with Genius which makes me wonder who came up with that lame excuse for an add. :eek:

darkslayer13
Sep 16, 2012, 07:03 AM
Lol, remember what phones were like before the iPhone, or are you still too young to remember flip phones....! Apple has invented smartphones and apps, and only tries to perfect that one thing. Every other company has just been trying to play catchup by copying its success.

MH01
Sep 16, 2012, 07:03 AM
Both good phones.

Was hoping that Iphone 5 would KO the Samsung S3, though sadly as the ads shows, the iphone has just evolved from the 4, hardly innovation.

I have pre-ordered a 5, though as a Fan am disappointed that this is the least innovative major release. I was really hoping for a new design, tech specs are irrelevant to the average user.

In one way pissed off that Apple is suing everyone, and as a result we the end users see less innovation from them. The Iphone 5 is just another kid on the block, when he used to be THE kid. Also facepalmed when I saw the new ipod nano, especially after all this legal BS, just to have it look like the Lumina 900. Be good to see apple sack the lawyers and get some fresh blood to innovate.

Will wait to the 21st to compare it to the Iphone 4 I have, and make up my decsion if its enough of a jump or return it and stick with the 4. This is the first time ever I have considered not updating to a new model in a major release, sadly it still just looks like an Iphone 4, which i think is a brilliant design, and frankly I think the longer shape might be more awkward compared to the 4 which if bloody awesome. Next friday I will know.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:07 AM
My girlfriend has it and it already stopped working after the last wireless update. Now she only gets 4 hours of usage out of it because there are hidden apps running in the background draining her memory which she has no control to stop. She also has to continually reset it because it freezes on her often.

Doesnt matter how good of specs your phone is. If you are running android, you know you've had some problems at some point. I have owned 4 iPhones now. At least each one gets better and better as apple only creates one device and one software, and perfects them. This past year I have owned the 4S, I have not had a single issue or had to reset my phone for any reason - and I use my phone ALL the time.

----------

First of all, "hidden apps running in the background" CAN be stopped. Ask her to buy Better Battery Stats (cheap) or download one of the free alternatives from the Play Store. This will show her which wakelocks she's suffering from and advise her as to how to solve the issues. For example, there used to be a bug in Google Chrome that causes the gyroscope to constantly be in use and that drained the battery. Better Battery Stats told me how to fix the problem.

If her phone is constantly resetting then she should have it replaced under warranty as that's not normal. I don't know why people think that Android crashing, freezing and rebooting all the time is normal - if you experienced that with an iPhone you would get it replaced. My phone hardly ever freezes.

I've had one major issue with my phone since I got it in May, and that was only after I flashed some firmware on it using ODIN, so it was kinda my own fault.

Crashing and freezing is NOT normal, even for Android. :)

Theophany
Sep 16, 2012, 07:09 AM
Lol, remember what phones were like before the iPhone, or are you still too young to remember flip phones....! Apple has invented smartphones and apps, and only tries to perfect that one thing. Every other company has just been trying to play catchup by copying its success.

HP iPAQ, Nokia Communicator, Palm Treo... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Clearly you were born in 2007. Your worldly wisdom is incredible.

matttye

I agree that Apple reinvented the phone and made apps popular (they weren't the first with an app store - Ubuntu had one before Apple), but I think other companies have now surpassed Apple.

We owe a lot to Apple, but they're no longer the best.

darkslayer13
Lol, exactly. You shouldnt have to download apps to solve known problems with a device. Again, I leave you with:

Apple - works
Samsung - kinda works.

First of all, "hidden apps running in the background" CAN be stopped. Ask her to buy Better Battery Stats (cheap) or download one of the free alternatives from the Play Store. This will show her which wakelocks she's suffering from and advise her as to how to solve the issues. For example, there used to be a bug in Google Chrome that causes the gyroscope to constantly be in use and that drained the battery. Better Battery Stats told me how to fix the problem.

If her phone is constantly resetting then she should have it replaced under warranty as that's not normal. I don't know why people think that Android crashing, freezing and rebooting all the time is normal - if you experienced that with an iPhone you would get it replaced. My phone hardly ever freezes.

I've had one major issue with my phone since I got it in May, and that was only after I flashed some firmware on it using ODIN, so it was kinda my own fault.

Crashing and freezing is NOT normal, even for Android. :)

machestnut
Sep 16, 2012, 07:10 AM
Just shows you how much they Fear Apple!

MH01
Sep 16, 2012, 07:11 AM
Apple adds are smart and funny, only bad ones was those terrible adds with Genius which makes me wonder who came up with that lame excuse for an add. :eek:

The I am a PC, I am a MAC ads made out Apple users to be arrogant douchebags.

The least said about the use of the word Magical the better, only one company is arogant enough to claim a device is magical.

Though, Apple does not think these ads up, its the agencies they use, even 1984 was not an Apple idea, it was the agency. Brilliant Brilliant ad.

Agree with the current Genius ads, they went too far, making people out to be morons..... whoever approved that at Apple should be forced to play genius in a store for 6 months ;)

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:12 AM
Lol, exactly. You shouldnt have to download apps to solve known problems with a device. Again, I leave you with:

Apple - works
Samsung - kinda works.

That's the nature of having an open OS. If your girlfriend wants everything to work perfectly then she should stick with the iPhone.

When you have an OS where apps are given pretty much free reign to do whatever they like, things can go wrong. You need to know how to use such an OS and how to deal with the pitfalls if you want to reap the benefits.

Android works "well enough" if you just leave it to its' own devices, but if you want it to work really well you have to tweak it.

SprSynJn
Sep 16, 2012, 07:13 AM

Doesnt matter how good of specs your phone is. If you are running android, you know you've had some problems at some point.

This is the world of Android to a tee. And it is the reason I will not go back unless I really have to. It's flashy, it does more, it's freedom, etc. etc. It's still a horribly run OS no matter what phone you use. Too many things clashing with each other, too many things not doing what you need them to do, too many options that screw up your experience. Just like Windows. No thank you. I prefer simplicity that just works. I know some do, but many don't.

About the ad, I think it's childish. It really shows that they are threatened. Which many will say they shouldn't be, but it appears they think they are.

kiljoy616
Sep 16, 2012, 07:14 AM
- Withholding voice commands from the iPhone 3G.
- Withholding Siri from the iPhone 4/iPad 2.
- Withholding turn-by-turn and flyover from the iPhone 4.
- Withholding multitasking from the iPhone 3G.
- Withholding MMS from the original iPhone.

Too easy :p

MMS you got some of them right but that last one was a joke.

What did you expect from the first actual smart phone that people wanted to buy.

Turn but turn was Google garbage so glad apple drop that garbage and all their garbage finally. Maybe now they will bring out stuff that works.

Iphone 3G made sense I had one and it did not have the power to run any kind of multitasking software.

Here is what I think, you have not actually owned any of the iPhones so your making stuff up and pulling it out of your rear end.

Siri for iphone 4 and ipad 2, that one I do give you. Siri to me is lame, part of it needs to be on the actual phone. Considering that the new iPhone 5 could easily run it. Apple has dropped the ball on this feature. :(

darkslayer13
Lol, you know what I mean. The word "smartphone" has been used for a long time. But if you remember what those blackberry "smarphones" were like in 2005, you'll know they were YEARS behind the iPhone.

I remember the iPAQ - I HAD ONE! They were a POS compared to the iPhone. Exhibit A:

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/product/10/09/7012/hp_ipaq_614_i1.jpg?hash=MwL1AmH3ZQ&upscale=1

HP iPAQ, Nokia Communicator, Palm Treo... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Clearly you were born in 2007. Your worldly wisdom is incredible.

NumberNine
If Apple made an ad ripping Samsung people would be praising it.

What a joke.

liamoblomy
Sep 16, 2012, 07:15 AM
They list the resolution of each phones screen as if the samsung wins because its higher but they fail to point out what really makes a difference and thats the ppi where apple wins at 326 compared to 306. That said I do think the S3 is an amazing phone, just a little big for me.

MH01
Sep 16, 2012, 07:15 AM
Just shows you how much they Fear Apple! you will never see apple advertising their products compared to the competition. Just Sayin!

Have you ever watched an Apple Event ?? Apple slaps the competition hard!

The Get a Mac campaign, from 2006 to 2009..... there has never been a more blatant campaign in history that trashes your rival.

kiljoy616
Sep 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
Don't forget the name of that os ICE CREAM SANDWICH hmmm makes me want to go buy one.......

Yes except it tend to melt in your hands and makes a mess of when ever you hold it to long. Makes me not want to get one any time soon. :rolleyes:

NumberNine
Sep 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
Just shows you how much they Fear Apple! you will never see apple advertising their products compared to the competition. Just Sayin!

Ummm..what about thw I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads?

Short term memory here?

Painting PC users as boring dull people. Well it also painted Mac users as pretentious hipsters d***bags you just want to punch right in the face.

MH01
Sep 16, 2012, 07:17 AM
If Apple made an ad ripping Samsung people would be praising it.

What a joke.

Of course, the Get a Mac ads are considered one of the greatest ad campaigns for people on here. The same lot should google hypocrisy....

kiljoy616
Sep 16, 2012, 07:19 AM
Have you ever watched an Apple Event ?? Apple slaps the competition hard!

The Get a Mac campaign, from 2006 to 2009..... there has never been a more blatant campaign in history that trashes your rival.

HAHAHA, did you even see those commercials please try harder. Funny with no statement except PC have issues. Which they do. No direct attack on any company or maker but hey those who do not see make stuff up.

----------

Of course, the Get a Mac ads are considered one of the greatest ad campaigns for people on here. The same lot should google hypocrisy....

haha we have pc people trolling a mac rumor site I love it.

NumberNine
Sep 16, 2012, 07:19 AM
Exactly this! I have tried out Android phones and the best way to sum it up is that Android is like iOS's retarded brother.

I have a brother who's retarded. He's still OK.

Saladinos
Sep 16, 2012, 07:20 AM
It's funny that they list as "features" the horrible and silly "gestures" they came up with. They're the worst aspects of the s3.
Really... One of their great ideas is to tilt the phone to zoom in? Seriously. That's what it does. Tilting the phone to zoom is intuitive? It's like giving a phone to chimps. They have no idea what to do with it. Start hitting buttons, starting adding features without having any clue what they're doing. But they came up with a list of features. Folks who dislike Apple and android fans somehow manage to justify samsungs actions.

Seriously! OK, I find the way Samsung copy Apple to be distasteful, but not nearly as distasteful as the garbage Samsung comes up with in return!

Time to go feed the design team...

quietstormSD
Clever ad by Samsung. Galaxy S3 is definitely a sweet device. Samsung could have probably added a dozen or more features/highlights more that the iPhone doesn't have. Apple could do the same ad where the iPhone 5 has a few dozen features/highlights that the Galaxy S3 has.

Marketers want to get paid, whether the company that makes the product they are marketing is android, iOS, Windows or Blackberry.

I don't get why people get worked up over stuff like this. It's an ad. Clever in a Sunday paper to hit the masses right after the iPhone announcement, etc etc. There will be papers that weekend that shows masses upon masses of people camping out and waiting outside of Apple stores around the world, wanting to buy the iPhone 5.

Two giants competing with each other, I love it.

Theophany
Lol, you know what I mean. The word "smartphone" has been used for a long time. But if you remember what those blackberry "smarphones" were like in 2005, you'll know they were YEARS behind the iPhone.

I remember the iPAQ - I HAD ONE! They were a POS compared to the iPhone. Exhibit A:

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/product/10/09/7012/hp_ipaq_614_i1.jpg?hash=MwL1AmH3ZQ&upscale=1

Then Apple didn't "invent" smartphones as you claim. I don't know what you mean, because you're talking ****.

Smartphone is not a synonym for iPhone. It is a phone with a set of features beyond the capabilities of a mobile phone that can simply make/receive calls, send/receive messages and use WAP.

They were years behind the iPhone because they were released years before it. You're seriously comparing an iPAQ to an iPhone? Really? My £3,000 PC is better than a 1984 Macintosh, so by your logic PCs must be better than Macs.

darkslayer13
Sep 16, 2012, 07:21 AM
Exactly. The population in general is stupid. I'd guess 80%+ do not know how to download an app in order to solve a technical issue on their own. For those other 20%, yes, they should go with a galaxy and solve all the problems without any help. But thats why apple is still doing so well, because they make their products simple, easy to use, and as well built in the inside AND outside to give the consumer the least amount of grief. This is true not only with the iPhone, but ALL of their products. I have yet to see a popup blue kernel screen on a mac. On the PC I got good enough to be able to fix them on my own when I was younger, but not everyone can do that. If you ever owned a PC, you have seen that blue screen....guaranteed.

That's the nature of having an open OS. If your girlfriend wants everything to work perfectly then she should stick with the iPhone.

When you have an OS where apps are given pretty much free reign to do whatever they like, things can go wrong. You need to know how to use such an OS and how to deal with the pitfalls if you want to reap the benefits.

Android works "well enough" if you just leave it to its' own devices, but if you want it to work really well you have to tweak it.

stepshows
The Next Big Lawsuit is Already Here

kiljoy616

Have you even watched those add, of course not, they where funny ads with limited information except that PC have this issue or that issue. Not even comparison to direct attack adds. Oh the Droid and Windows fangirls sure seems to love to troll this site lately. Welcome children. :cool:

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:23 AM
MMS you got some of them right but that last one was a joke.

What did you expect from the first actual smart phone that people wanted to buy.

Turn but turn was Google garbage so glad apple drop that garbage and all their garbage finally. Maybe now they will bring out stuff that works.

Iphone 3G made sense I had one and it did not have the power to run any kind of multitasking software.

Here is what I think, you have not actually owned any of the iPhones so your making stuff up and pulling it out of your rear end.

Siri for iphone 4 and ipad 2, that one I do give you. Siri to me is lame, part of it needs to be on the actual phone. Considering that the new iPhone 5 could easily run it. Apple has dropped the ball on this feature. :(

How is turn by turn lame or garbage? It's probably one of the most useful features a smartphone can have for anyone that owns a vehicle. :confused: Also, the iPhone 4S will support turn by turn with Apple Maps, it's only the iPhone 4 and below that won't... :p

I owned the original iPhone (was an early adopter and paid £250 plus an 18 month contract for the privilege). Haven't had one since, but I have an iPad 2.

JOHNGAETANO
Sep 16, 2012, 07:23 AM
Android fans needs to look at Apples Stock Price. Enough said on who is winning the battle. The battle was over in 2007. Sorry Android

darkslayer13
Sep 16, 2012, 07:24 AM
Hey, thats what the guy I was quoting said - that the apple didnt invent smartphones because the iPaq did it.....just pointing out how yes, they didnt invent smartphones, but they destroyed the market because that phone was released the year before the iPhone and it was lightyears apart.

Then Apple didn't "invent" smartphones as you claim. I don't know what you mean, because you're talking ****.

Smartphone is not a synonym for iPhone. It is a phone with a set of features beyond the capabilities of a mobile phone that can simply make/receive calls, send/receive messages and use WAP.

They were years behind the iPhone because they were released years before it. You're seriously comparing an iPAQ to an iPhone? Really? My £3,000 PC is better than a 1984 Macintosh, so by your logic PCs must be better than Macs.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
Exactly. The population in general is stupid. I'd guess 80%+ do not know how to download an app in order to solve a technical issue on their own. For those other 20%, yes, they should go with a galaxy and solve all the problems without any help. But thats why apple is still doing so well, because they make their products simple, easy to use, and as well built in the inside AND outside to give the consumer the least amount of grief. This is true not only with the iPhone, but ALL of their products. I have yet to see a popup blue kernel screen on a mac. On the PC I got good enough to be able to fix them on my own when I was younger, but not everyone can do that. If you ever owned a PC, you have seen that blue screen....guaranteed.

I haven't seen a blue screen since I installed Windows 7.

I agree that the iPhone is suited to "the general population" .. but the general population doesn't sign up to technology/geek websites like this one. I would expect most people on a forum like this to have a bit more technological know-how than the average consumer.

darkslayer13
Sep 16, 2012, 07:28 AM
Yes, but what % of consumers know how to do things like us?

15%....20%?

Apple is doing so well because they are creating products for the majority. They know their customer base and know how to market products well. Thats why they are a force to be reckoned with - because no other company does this. They just put out product after product and hope that one will match up with apple's.

Apple does one phone and one OS each year. They perfect them and make them work as close to perfect as possible. There have been exactly 50 different phones released so far THIS YEAR running android, and all of them work semi-well.

I haven't seen a blue screen since I installed Windows 7.

I agree that the iPhone is suited to "the general population" .. but the general population doesn't sign up to technology/geek websites like this one. I would expect most people on a forum like this to have a bit more technological know-how than the average consumer.

matttye
Android fans needs to look at Apples Stock Price. Enough said on who is winning the battle. The battle was over in 2007. Sorry Android

Why should I, as a consumer, care about Apple's stock price? Why do you, as a consumer, care about Apple's stock price?

Apple charge more for their devices and accessories, hence why they have a higher profit margin.

Theophany
Hey, thats what the guy I was quoting said - that the apple didnt invent smartphones because the iPaq did it.....just pointing out how yes, they didnt invent smartphones, but they destroyed the market because that phone was released the year before the iPhone and it was lightyears apart.

Lol, remember what phones were like before the iPhone, or are you still too young to remember flip phones....! Apple has invented smartphones and apps, and only tries to perfect that one thing. Every other company has just been trying to play catchup by copying its success.lolwut?

kiljoy616
Sep 16, 2012, 07:29 AM

It not that we all need to get better because we don't. I work in the IT field but as I tell other, MS makes turd garbage I deal with it every day. When your degree is medicine wtf do you need to also learn useless lame computer troubleshooting? Same for every field that has absolutely nothing to do with troubleshooting computers.

People in 2012 should not have to figure out again and again how to deal with stupid DLL corruptions or system failures do to bloated software. No they should be able to plug and play and if something does go wrong be able to get a quick resolution. MS of course never really cared about the consumer since their whole push was always corp and IT departments who pay for professionals to deal with mindless numbing problems day in and day out. :cool:

machestnut
Sep 16, 2012, 07:30 AM
Ummm..what about thw I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads?

Short term memory here?

Painting PC users as boring dull people. Well it also painted Mac users as pretentious hipsters d***bags you just want to punch right in the face.

oops I forgot the Mac/PC ads, you're correct!

kiljoy616
Sep 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
lolwut?

What you could not read?:rolleyes:

Windlasher
Sep 16, 2012, 07:32 AM
What about Microsoft in an Apple ad?

Apple said: I'm a Mac and I'm a PC.

PC: Everyone out there, platform, not manufacturer.

kiljoy616
Sep 16, 2012, 07:32 AM
Why should I, as a consumer, care about Apple's stock price? Why do you, as a consumer, care about Apple's stock price?

Apple charge more for their devices and accessories, hence why they have a higher profit margin.

Because some people here own stocks kid. Apple charges more because we expect the best when it comes to user satisfaction. Dell could care less and MS is not better. Your just use to turd dropping in the PC side so garbage is fine as long as you can get at least half your work done.

dudemac
Sep 16, 2012, 07:36 AM
Samsung is so petty.

Apple has plenty of features that Samsung/Google don't mention in that ad, such as iCloud, which is FAR more integrated and reliable than Google.

Plus, "tilt to zoom", are you kidding me?

******** ad, and it shouldn't take a genius to realize that :rolleyes:

I am switching because of iCloud. I don't know what services that you are referring to as reliable. But I have had nothing but issues.
And this is coming from a person who has used .Mac/.me/.icloud since 2002.
Has 3 iphones, a couple of itouchs, and lots of ipods. The only thing that seems to work right is iTunes and music in the cloud. The rest of it is pretty much crap. HTML 5 is great but I fee like Apple is abusing it and we have reverted back to 1997 when the web had all kinds of things to make your trasition from paper to the screen more visiually freindly. Someone might want to tell them that it is 2012 and having leather on the screen does not make anything more functional or eligant its just ugly. Just look at the iCloud version of the notes app. There is almost 2" of the list covered with a leather looking corner. And the highighting is with a red circle....... :eek:
I must have gotten lucky the last time around with the mobile me transition because for the most part I had no issues. But when you pay for something for so long and then it just to go away with no real solution like getting your calendars and tasks to show up on your non upgradeable snow leopard. I finally got mail to work, but the amount of searching for the solution was not cool. Why not just release a control panel for the new service. That way even if somethings will not work, at least you would not have to pull your hair out trying to get your email.
And I don't know but this seems to have carried over from mobile me. Duplicate contacts. Especially ones that have not been changed in years. How is it possible to end up with 23 for Apple alone. Anyway, restarting the sync helps for a while and we will see if it holds this time, but it is pretty annoying.
And as for why I would like to use Mail on snow leopard as opposed to the web client, I have been using mail for enough years and have lots of rules. And since icloud the rules doen't sync between clients anymore, and don't show up in the rules on the web interface? Who let this crap go is what I want to know. It might be easier to take if they would show us the road map and at least let us know if some of this is coming back.

As for the phones. I just picked up a Gnex unlocked. So far it's great and everything is working really well. Transition was easier than I though it would be. NFC is pretty cool. Using at the grocery store, and Home Depot to pay. And as a old time palm user, I hope more things get the NFC beam to share function.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:38 AM
Yes, but what % of consumers know how to do things like us?

15%....20%?

Apple is doing so well because they are creating products for the majority. They know their customer base and know how to market products well. Thats why they are a force to be reckoned with - because no other company does this. They just put out product after product and hope that one will match up with apple's.

I agree with what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that for the technology literate among us I think that Android is a better OS. It can do a lot more than iOS can, it just needs a little more work from the user to make it work as they want it to.

There's an app for Android called "Tasker" that can automate EVERYTHING. When it gets to 11pm on a worknight, my phone silences itself. It turns the volume back on at 7am. Between 8:30am and 5pm on workdays, it silences itself. When I connect my phone to my car's bluetooth, it launches Spotify for me. When I connect to my bluetooth speaker at home, it launches Spotify for me.

I have an NFC tag by the door to my house that toggles WiFi on/off, so I just have to scan my phone on my way in/out.

If I want to enable bluetooth/WiFi at any other time, I just pull down the notification bar and use the shortcuts that are kept there.

I have my agenda on my home screen so I can see it at a glance. I can add to it, read what I've got to it or cross things off that I've done. I can make decent use of the real estate on my home screens because my apps are confined to the app drawer. They don't use up all of my valuable home screen space.

I can attach ANY file to an email as I have access to the file system. I can share files to any service that supports the Android sharing API, not just ones that the manufacturer chooses for me.

With Jelly Bean, I can read bigger previews of emails, messages and other notifications by dragging them down with two fingers to expand the content. I can reply, share etc directly from the notification itself. The OS is very smooth, comparable to iOS now. Google Now and voice search are very fluid and respond quickly.

If I don't like a particular app with my S3, I can hide the application from the app drawer so that I don't have to see it.

I can expand the storage available to me by using a MicroSD card.

I can use WiFi direct or S-Beam to quickly transfer files to those around me.

It can just do more. A lot more.

Windlasher
Sep 16, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hilarious to see apple fanboys ******** over this seeing how Apple's been doing this same thing for YEARS against microsoft and the whole PC industry.

I guess everyone forgot about the 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ads, huh?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apple said: I'm a Mac and I'm a PC.

PC = Everyone out there, platform, not manufacturer or specific product.

flameproof
If Apple added inductive charging they'd make less profits....

Nope, they would make more profits. For sure the wireless charger would NOT be included in the sales pack and sold separately. Wireless charging would be an optional feature.

And I wouldn't use it. I have a cable at home, in the office, in the car. I would not pay $200 for 3 chargers. BTW, I don't find connecting the cable to the phone is a big technical challenge.

daveathall
I get the impression that most here think that unless one goes deep into settings and make huge alterations to the operating system then an S3 will not work properly, it's simply untrue, I am not technically minded, but straight from the box my S3 worked quite easily, I didn't need to read instructions, I didn't need to uninstall bloatware, I didn't need to go into settings to make the phone work. It just did. Over the following month's I then did more and more to customise the phone as I like it. I had that choice. Guess what? It still works flawlessly, no lag, no jerkiness, no crashes and still as fast as my 3GS, 4 and 4S ever worked.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:40 AM
Because some people here own stocks kid. Apple charges more because we expect the best when it comes to user satisfaction. Dell could care less and MS is not better. Your just use to turd dropping in the PC side so garbage is fine as long as you can get at least half your work done.

Even if you own stocks, why use that in an argument with a consumer about why Apple is better? Seems like a pretty stupid argument to me.

I couldn't give two hoots about Apple's stock price.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 07:40 AM

Because this is important to the end consumer that doesn't own stock.

Apple enthusiast should never bring up Apples $$$$. They have so much of it because they have such an incredibly high profit margin (40-50%). Half of the price of the phone is purely for a bank account. When I did sales 40-50% profit was grimy salesman ripping off old ladies tactics.

Only redeeming things are, 1. If you buy on contract the carrier absorbs most of that cost. 2. Very high resale so you can recoup the loss.

I own Apple stock.

Steviejobz
Sep 16, 2012, 07:42 AM
It's disingenuous to call the Galaxy a pos as many in this thread have. Reeks of fanboism. That said, having used the S3 it is a pretty sweet phone, fast operating system, and some nifty, albeit novelty, features. However for my taste and perhaps for many iPhone owners, it is too big and the switching costs (from purchased apps to the ecosystem) are too high given these marginal (at best) features. Maybe from those moving from a Nokia or Blackberry there can be a reasonable debate. But very few iPhone owners it is a non-starter.

Hezzaa
Sep 16, 2012, 07:43 AM
"Palm touch to mute/pause:
Mute or pause sounds by covering screen with your hand while playing media with the screen on"

Uhm? Ok, why would I need to do that?

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:44 AM
Mute or pause sounds by covering screen with your hand while playing media with the screen on"

Samsung's usual example is if your phone rings in the middle of a meeting and you need to quickly silence it, but I think most people would have the foresight to mute the phone before going into a meeting. :p

NumberNine
Sep 16, 2012, 07:44 AM
I agree with what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that for the technology literate among us I think that Android is a better OS. It can do a lot more than iOS can, it just needs a little more work from the user to make it work as they want it to.

There's an app for Android called "Tasker" that can automate EVERYTHING. When it gets to 11pm on a worknight, my phone silences itself. It turns the volume back on at 7am. Between 8:30am and 5pm on workdays, it silences itself. When I connect my phone to my car's bluetooth, it launches Spotify for me. When I connect to my bluetooth speaker at home, it launches Spotify for me.

I have an NFC tag by the door to my house that toggles WiFi on/off, so I just have to scan my phone on my way in/out.

If I want to enable bluetooth/WiFi at any other time, I just pull down the notification bar and use the shortcuts that are kept there.

I have my agenda on my home screen so I can see it at a glance. I can add to it, read what I've got to it or cross things off that I've done. I can make decent use of the real estate on my home screens because my apps are confined to the app drawer. They don't use up all of my valuable home screen space.

I can attach ANY file to an email as I have access to the file system. I can share files to any service that supports the Android sharing API, not just ones that the manufacturer chooses for me.

With Jelly Bean, I can read bigger previews of emails, messages and other notifications by dragging them down with two fingers to expand the content. I can reply, share etc directly from the notification itself. The OS is very smooth, comparable to iOS now. Google Now and voice search are very fluid and respond quickly.

If I don't like a particular app with my S3, I can hide the application from the app drawer so that I don't have to see it.

This^

Android is so far ahead of iOS.

Hezzaa
Sep 16, 2012, 07:46 AM
Samsung's usual example is if your phone rings in the middle of a meeting and you need to quickly silence it, but I think most people would have the foresight to mute the phone before going into a meeting. :p

But isn't flip to mute for that? I assume you would've be watching movies or playing music in the middle of a meeting?

mixel
Sep 16, 2012, 07:46 AM
What an awful and comically dishonest ad. I don't think anyone will be fooled by such a crazy breakdown.. Even the biggest iNewbie uses a lot of iOS specific features that could've just as easily be used as bullet-points in the iPhone's favour. Many of which are a lot more useful than "tilt to scroll" and "turn over to mute"

I DO like the S3, but I think Samsung need some new marketing ideas.

sammich
Sep 16, 2012, 07:47 AM

Because reaching over and hitting a volume button is too hard.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:48 AM
But isn't flip to mute for that? I assume you would've be watching movies or playing music in the middle of a meeting?

They've just added multiple ways of accomplishing the same thing. Just like how you can take a screenshot either by holding home+power, or by swiping sideways across the screen.

Palm touch mutes phone calls too, but I guess it is more made for media.

gr8hii
LTE voice +Data (Sprint/Verizon).... Still annoyed about this on the iPhone 5. I skipped the S on Verizon waiting in this very feature.

pandamonia

I don't really think the iPhone 5 is that great of an update. But one thing i'm sure of is that it will work!

----------

I call Bull Crap.

Stella
Sep 16, 2012, 07:49 AM
The responses on here from the insulted Apple users are far more entertaining than the ad itself!

Personally, I couldn't care less about that ad.. each phone has their strengths and weaknesses. People will buy what they prefer.

bobob
Sep 16, 2012, 07:50 AM
Android is so far ahead of iOS.

I agree if you're talking about the tweaker market.

However, for those of us who have other work to do than fine-tuning their phone, iOS remains far ahead.

jca666us
Sep 16, 2012, 07:50 AM
It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

It also shows that Samsung learned nothing from the trial they LOST.

They see nothing special about the iPhone 5 - and they see nothing of blatantly copying whatever they want.

Goratrix
Sep 16, 2012, 07:51 AM
Android fans needs to look at Apples Stock Price. Enough said on who is winning the battle.

The only thing that proves is that the US stock market is completely detached from reality. According to the stock price, Apple is worth more than all the top 10 german companies together:

Volkswagen
Eon
BMW
Allianz
Deutsche Telekom
Daimler
Bayer
BASF
Siemens
SAP

I mean, really? REALLY? Apple is worth more than all of those together? What kind of retarded world are you americans living in? If Apple stops selling their products tomorrow, nothing will happen. If Siemens stops maintaining their industrial control systems, half of our civilization will collapse tomorrow. If Bayer stops making their products, millions of people will die. You people are living in a dreamworld if you think that stock price proves anything. The only thing it proves is that there is a massive hidden inflation going on with the US dollar.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:53 AM

However, for those of us who have other work to do than fine-tuning their phone, iOS remains far ahead.

The thing is, you only need to fine tune your phone ONCE and then that work you have to do can be accomplished a lot faster. ;)

cynics

Its like a "****" for a second feature. Definitely a novelty feature, one of those features that when you need to use you'll forget you have it. But there have been plenty of times I'm watching a video an someone starts talking to me and I just turn down the volume.

The mute switch won't silence video content, you need to reduce the volume be it on screen or with the volume button.

pandamonia

Err not it doesnt.

jstrahan73
i own a s3. here are my thoughts. the screen is too big for good one hand operation, have had to reset phone at least once a week, cant stand predictive text, when typing it seems the touch location is a bit off, way too much bloatware, took me over two hours just to setup the way i wanted it
now things i do like about it. widgets, notifications thats about it
anyone wanting one its on ebay for sale right now.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 07:55 AM
i own a s3. here are my thoughts. the screen is too big for good one hand operation, have had to reset phone at least once a week, cant stand predictive text, when typing it seems the touch location is a bit off, way too much bloatware, took me over two hours just to setup the way i wanted it
now things i do like about it. widgets, notifications thats about it
anyone wanting one its on ebay for sale right now.

The stock keyboard is rubbish and I wasted no time getting rid of it. SwiftKey is amazing :)

Jimrod
Sep 16, 2012, 07:55 AM
Although that wireless charging loop someone demo'd in an iMac last year looked super cool!! Basically charges anything within 6 foot of your iMac! :) Now, THAT would be something Apple may well do in the future - at least i'm hoping they're looking into it! :)

I do wonder what stage the world would be at if Tesla weren't the genius scientist and Edison the businessman. Tesla was working on free power transmitted across the world and was actually bouncing electricity through the entire planet over a hundred years ago but he died broke while Edison reaped the rewards of his stolen sub-standard systems... Hmm, sounds familiar in a way! :D

UmbraDiaboli
Sep 16, 2012, 07:58 AM
Come on fanboys! RAAAGE!

Who cares about this ad? It's just as pathetic as when Sega compared their Genesis with SNES back in the 90s - completely manipulated media.

Geckotek
Sep 16, 2012, 07:59 AM

Need I go on?

Lol, no. I see your motivation and know to just ignore you.

Jimrod
Sep 16, 2012, 08:01 AM
Come on fanboys! RAAAGE!

Who cares about this ad? It's just as pathetic as when Sega compared their Genesis with SNES back in the 90s - completely manipulated media.

I don't understand the rage, it's fair competitive advertising as you do when the competition brings out new product - you have to show you're still there and in the game. In this case the S3 has not been entirely trumped by the new iPhone either - it's legitimate competition and has its own positives.

TheRainKing
Sep 16, 2012, 08:01 AM
Come on fanboys! RAAAGE!

Ahh the 16bit wars, those were the days.

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 08:02 AM

quoted for truth

and macrumors
WHY U NO REPORT ON STEVE WOZNIAK QUOTES?

NumberNine

Oh yeah? Doing "big work" on your iPhone?

I don't sit and fine tune my phone all day.

djc831
What a way for a technology company to get its word out! Newspapers!?!?!? Great move, Samsung. Try skywriting next time. :confused:

Dannyking
Sep 16, 2012, 08:03 AM
It's pathetic that a large tech firm like samsung has to play this game to get custom. I work for a UK mobile network and I can tell you first hand that if someone comes in for a SII or SIII they are easily persuaded into an iPhone after I explain the devices BUT....you try and change someone from an iPhone to another device......wont happen due to the fact that you come part of a family for lack of a better word, you have a store to go to for ANYTHING and to top it off, Apple focus there attention on their work and products rather than waisting time trying to bring down other manufacturers.

Must be hard for samsung, bless them, having to pay 1.05 Billion in damages and then having to continue a contract to produce the chip sets for their biggest rival!

I find the complete situation hilarious. Samsung sell more than just phones so think about this, if only 20% of iPhone owners and Samsung TV owners decide to change there TV to another, think how much that would loose them! Not smart business at all!

huschpuscheli
Sep 16, 2012, 08:06 AM
oh look, they chose white and black for not mistaking the s3 for an iphone.

Giuly
Sep 16, 2012, 08:06 AM

Try switching the SD card on any phone after one year of usage and watch what happens. Especially if it's full.

NumberNine
Sep 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
quoted for truth

and macrumors
WHY U NO REPORT ON STEVE WOZNIAK QUOTES?

Wozniak quote for you:

“A better quality on the pictures will mean a lot, because when I show people pictures on my iPhone 4 and my Galaxy S III, they always say the Galaxy S III, or even the Motorola Razr, pictures look better.”

“I wish everybody would just agree to exchange all the patents and everybody can build the best forms they want to use everybody’s technologies.”

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 08:10 AM
Lol, no. I see your motivation and know to just ignore you.

You're not doing a very good job of ignoring me :p

Try switching the SD card on any phone after one year of usage and watch what happens. Especially if it's full.

What does happen? I haven't heard of any problems.

mixel
Sep 16, 2012, 08:12 AM
The iOS vs Android thing seems really similar to Windows vs Classic MacOS back in the day. "I can do some super tweaky things in Windows!" .. "I don't want to do those things.. I just want to use the hardware/apps I like!", "You're stupid!"

ad infinitum.

There's still a huge software divide that needs to be addressed before a lot of users would consider anything other than an idevice. The software has more pull to the vast majority of users than the flexibility to customise and more fiddly power user stuff. The fact that the simplicity of use and attention to detail are on the same side for Apple devices this time is going to continue to make things hard to compete.

MaxPlanck777
Sep 16, 2012, 08:13 AM
That is because if apple implemented one of those so called 'features' at least they would have been some how useful. Android has like say 100 features, among them 3/4th are half assed unusable garbage where apple has only say 20 features which never make me think why they were there at the first place. Recently i bought a galaxy note after using iPhone 4 for 2 years.... you know what... i'm just worried about how dumb the consumers could be by comparing android with iOS.

1. Dual core 1.4ghz 1 gb ram boasting note is not even near smooth and fluid against 800Mhz 512 mb ram iphone 4...sometimes i think i may throw my note on the floor due to stuttering and lag.

2. I never thought of changing battery or put high capacity one on my iphone4 with 1420mah battery where i already disgusted with my notes 2500mah battery life. so thats telling why changable battery is a feature!!

3.Most of the time tap doesn't work first time, lagy transition, horrible horrible audio quality for music (my nokia from 2003 and ps vita has better sound quality than this...later i discovered that that is because of using low quality yamaha codec ...ya on a £450+ priced phone!!!!!!), bad quality sleep button which 'auto press' in the pocket so many times, native phone apps freezes and crash occasionally here and there,phone dial pad lags horribly (i heard that its fixed in jelly bean but i don't know when i'm getting it officially without any risk of hard bricking )...

4. Where are the quality apps like star walk, elements, solar walk...etc. what i have found in android market is most popular except google native apps are rom flasher tools, over-clocking tools...etc. most of the apps run garbage like kindle apps,flight control ...ok thats not google's fault but why do they run smooth on iOS?!!!on a half spec ed phone?!! Why people are so concerned about over-clocking mobile processor to 2gz to run this garbage apps which is not optimised....!!!!

5.New features come with new updates..thats normal.. i bought my galaxy note in february and i'm already worried about jelly bean update ..no official announcements... every one seems to be busy with new note 2 and next gen devices ..i didn't even get a one new major update.... with apple i got my update 1st day every time a new updates came out from apple...even some features were not in old devices like siri or 3d map overview still i got the overall improvement update. at launch day.

6. Even jail breaking took me only 20 mins for my iphone4 where even after 7 months i could not find any 100% safe note rooting method, there is always eMmc panic, hard brick problem, flash counter problem blah blah blah...

7. Now i realise the value of apple as a company which is so keen about the user experience not ****ing garbage consumer trolling advertisement. And whenever i try to point out that why this couldn't be any better for android then i was greeted as 'iSheep' 'iTroll' and ...... without getting any logical answer...
8. Only good thing NOTE has is stunning looking AMOLED screen which will be sure broke after 5/6 years of use due to the technical limitation of blue organic pixel (even they used pen-tile matrix to improve them )..dont tell me that 5/6 years is enough for a product like this... example of another half assed tech used by a company thinking that consumers are sh** head donkey kong.

Sorry for my long post but i'm really pissed for wasting so much money on a device which can't do a thing without any un intuitive way... >:(

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
What is the draw to the S III? I'm not looking at another phne but if i was both the One X and Lumia 920 look more appealing to me. What makes the s III better than the One X?

Aragornii
Sep 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
The only thing that proves is that the US stock market is completely detached from reality. According to the stock price, Apple is worth more than all the top 10 german companies together:

Volkswagen
Eon
BMW
Allianz
Deutsche Telekom
Daimler
Bayer
BASF
Siemens
SAP

I mean, really? REALLY? Apple is worth more than all of those together? What kind of retarded world are you americans living in? If Apple stops selling their products tomorrow, nothing will happen. If Siemens stops maintaining their industrial control systems, half of our civilization will collapse tomorrow. If Bayer stops making their products, millions of people will die. You people are living in a dreamworld if you think that stock price proves anything. The only thing it proves is that there is a massive hidden inflation going on with the US dollar.

BMW earnings are 3 billion per year, Apple's earnings are 30 billion. Of course it's worth more than all those companies put together. It has nothing to do with the US dollar. Apple has enormous revenue and a high profit margin.

mceolsen
Sep 16, 2012, 08:17 AM
Side note: no NFC in the iPhone 5 - so what? Where can you even use it yet? What's the point of adding useless features?

johannchung
How bout "Do you have a genius"

FactVsOpinion
I want to comment on some of the arguments I've seen offered on this forum.

First, the ad is an ad and so it's biased by nature just as Apple ads are. The issue is how misleading it is. Without even getting into the specs and "features", just the picture comparison is ridiculous in that they could have used a white iphone with a screen on instead of black on dark blue background and turned off.

Second, the argument that McDonalds sells more burgers than Five Guys and the Ford Fiesta being a best selling car but not being the best car in the world... Come on guys!!! McD burgers cost as little as 99c, even 49c on special. Five guys are more like $7. It's a similar situation with Fiestas. People buy more Fiestas because they're more affordable. In the case of these phones, they're actually available at the same price!!!!!! In fact, I think the latest Samsung phones are often cheaper than the latest iPhones. (AND more widely available)

Third, people have compared this ad to Coke and Pepsi or Cadillac and Porsche. First iPhone fans said the ads of the inferior product mentions the ads of the superior one. Then iPhone haters had a lovely time bringing up "I'm a Mac" ads. I don't thinks it's a case of the superior and inferior product here, but rather the biggest marketshare vs less widely chosen product. In other words, Apple was admitting that PCs are the usual choice, and now Samsung is admitting that the iPhone is the usual choice. One thing to note though, is that like McD burgers and ford fiestas, the PCs were the usual choice because they were much cheaper. Thats is not the case when Apple products become the norm. They don't become the regular choice simply by being the cheapest. Not at all.

cbcc1119
Sep 16, 2012, 08:18 AM
More like

Not really true they tried settling out of court 2 years ago if you look it up Samsung refused any FRAND terms.

mceolsen
Sep 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
Also: a totally different plug? Really? That's it? So in order to make the phone thinner and lighter, they updated an almost 10 year old port - oh no!

cbcc1119
Side note: no NFC in the iPhone 5 - so what? Where can you even use it yet? What's the point of adding useless features?

Also seeing as Google Wallet has already been hacked once how long will it be until you see in the news hundreds of accounts stolen and exploited becuase someone stood in the grocery store with a high gain antenna and watched people check out.

can.rules

Wakelocks? Are you saying that with a straight face? Why would anybody want to know or care about what a wakelock is or does?

This is why Apple ultimately wins. The iPhone just works without the user having to care or babysit the underlying technology.

GenesisST
Sep 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
Ads being childish aside, the S3 is a nice phone. I've used on at work for development. If I wasn't heavily committed to the Apple ecosystem, I would certainly consider it.

But that is not the reason that stops me. I have been developing for Android for 3 years (yeah, in the cupcake days) and iOS for the lasst year. And I must say that once you get over the Cocoa/obj-c learning curve, it is really nice. What's a null check?

Boomchukalaka
Sep 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
Samsung: Keeping it classy!

lilgto64
Sep 16, 2012, 08:23 AM

The last device I had with a removable SD card was a Treo 650 - I even bought a larger SD card - which I still use (in the Wii and the kid's DSi) - but it got very confusing keeping track of what was where - especially photos - I am still working on cleaning up the 8 different copies of some photos that resulted when from a combination of trying to sort and organize photos into folders on the Treo, then backup without loss from both internal memory and external card - followed by sync to original iPhone and now PhotoStream.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 08:26 AM
Wakelocks? Are you saying that with a straight face? Why would anybody want to know or care about what a wakelock is or does?

This is why Apple ultimately wins. The iPhone just works without the user having to care or babysit the underlying technology.

Sorry, maybe instead of trying to help with the problem I should have just criticised the device rather than my own ignorance at not looking for a solution to the problem.

My bad.

----------

I can use it with the stickers in my house and car.

Read and enjoy: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/570565-nfc-tags-what-do-you-use-them.html

Sardonick007
Sep 16, 2012, 08:29 AM
Apple did this for years. So what? When the mac/pc commercials ran (which I loved) they didn't make me give Apple a second thought, I still stayed with a pc. When I finally had the shroud of darkness lifted from my eyes and went all mac, it had nothing to do with commercials. As for the sammy ad, there is nothing in their column that would compel me to buy an S3 over an iPhone. Those BS specs are nothing but fodder. Commercial wise though, it's not even interesting enough to make me mad.

Doctorsti
Sep 16, 2012, 08:31 AM
Kind of like I'm a Mac-I'm a PC right? Oh wait, that was apple...never mind.

you are correct. PC/Microsoft has always been superior is market share to Apple. The tides are a changin and at this point you won't likely see Apple take direct shots at any other manufacturer due to their dramatically rising market share. I doubt if we ever again see those funny "I'm a mac" commercials again.

JGRE
Sep 16, 2012, 08:33 AM
Apple has never bashed any of its competitors in public. They even admit in public that some of other's products are excellent (MS Office for OSX) while it is competing with their own products.

It is said that Samsung behaves as a bad looser, a company of that size and standing should know and act better.

jstrahan73
Sep 16, 2012, 08:34 AM
What is the draw to the S III? I'm not looking at another phne but if i was both the One X and Lumia 920 look more appealing to me. What makes the s III better than the One X?

my draw was i was switching carriers and it was a new phone and the resale value was high enough that when the iphone 5 came out, which has been about 2 months since i got my s3, i could sale it and pay off my contract and get the iphone 5. in the 2 month time the resale value of the s3 has dropped almost $200. glad i didnt have to wait any longer

flameproof
Sep 16, 2012, 08:36 AM
Apple has never bashed any of its competitors in public.

I remember the 1984 ad. And then the '"I'm a Mac....".

They even admit in public that some of other's products are excellent (MS Office for OSX)

They had to bring MS in at a time when Apple was nearly bankrupt.

gwelmarten
Sep 16, 2012, 08:37 AM
More like

All these Samsung/Android lovers - a metaphor for lovers of laggy, cheap equipment. Do your eyes mysteriously mist over when you see comparisons of Samsung products created 12 months after Apple products, stopping you from being enlightended to the truth? For just a few examples of their out-right disgraceful copying, see here: http://samsungcopiesapple.tumblr.com

tell me if I need to waste yet more time finding more examples for you people!

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 08:37 AM
Apple has never bashed any of its competitors in public. They even admit in public that some of other's products are excellent (MS Office for OSX) while it is competing with their own products.

It is said that Samsung behaves as a bad looser, a company of that size and standing should know and act better.

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong, I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."
-Steve Jobs

hater of Linux :D

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 08:38 AM
Sorry, maybe instead of trying to help with the problem I should have just criticised the device rather than my own ignorance at not looking for a solution to the problem.

My bad.

----------

I can use it with the stickers in my house and car.

Read and enjoy: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/570565-nfc-tags-what-do-you-use-them.html

This page also has some really great uses for NFC:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04/12/fun-with-nfc-automating-simple-tasks-with-an-nfc-capable-phone/

dynafrom
Sep 16, 2012, 08:39 AM

So full of ****. Apple bashed MS in TV ads. Or does your short attention span forget this?

Reading the first 10 posts on how this makes samsung "cheap" makes me want to puke. Apple fanboys are the worst of its kind. Hypocrites.

Vaga8ond
Sep 16, 2012, 08:40 AM
By saying "It doesn't take a genius", insults the very customers they intend to try to convert. Insulting and being condescending to potential customers isn't very smart on Samsung's part.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 08:41 AM

Mcdonalds
Best buy
Walgreens
CVS
7-11
Wawa
Gap
Old navy
American eagle
Sunoco
Jack in the box

Those are a few from off the top of my head. There are at least a dozen or two more places.

Then you can beam between devices near instantly with no user interaction. Plus you can use nfc stickers to instantly set you device up for the area you are (car, work, etc).

Basically if you think nfc is useless you either don't know anything about it or are fooling yourself.

djphat2000
Sales doesn't automatically make it a better phone.

If that was the case, the Ford Fiesta is the best car in the world.

Being that both phones sell for pretty much the same price as each other. I would say sales do at the least suggest which phone works best for the most people.

dynafrom
All these Samsung/Android lovers - a metaphor for lovers of laggy, cheap equipment. Do your eyes mysteriously mist over when you see comparisons of Samsung products created 12 months after Apple products, stopping you from being enlightended to the truth? For just a few examples of their out-right disgraceful copying, see here: http://samsungcopiesapple.tumblr.com

Laggy, cheap equipment? :rolleyes:

Right, I had LTE for over a year. Laggy? Quadcore phone that rips through apps. Hell, I had problems with google maps on the 4s. Choppy as hell when buffering maps. S3? No such problems. If you mean cheap as in made of plastic, well... I dropped my phone tons of times. Not a scratch. My iphone? In a ugly as sin otterbox. Guess what? Back side glass is cracked from a small fall.

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
By saying "It doesn't take a genius", insults the very customers they intend to try to convert. Insulting and being condescending to potential customers isn't very smart on Samsung's part.

Apple making customers visit a "genius bar" every time they want assistance/warranty/technical support with one of their products insults the very intelligence of its customers.

Flux.Capacitor
Sep 16, 2012, 08:45 AM
So Samsung is even copying the "I'm a mac / I'm a pc" campaigns now? Apple should sue!! Lol

Tsuchiya
Sep 16, 2012, 08:46 AM
Got to admit. Samsung has balls :D

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
I guess I don't get why people feel so compelled to convince others to use their phone of choice. If you prefer the S III great. I'm glad you like your device. I'm happy with my iPhone but could care less if someone else is using a different phone. Use what you like and don't care what anyone else is using. :D

C.G.B. Spender
Sep 16, 2012, 08:48 AM

I saw a fake version of it in one Fringe episode :p

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 08:51 AM
Apple making customers visit a "genius bar" every time they want assistance/warranty/technical support with one of their products insults the very intelligence of its customers.

Really? I'm guessing the average consumer could care less what they're called. I know the majority of my family and friends are not tech geeks so they wouldn't feel insults by it at all. :)

djphat2000
Sep 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Mcdonalds
Best buy
Walgreens
CVS
7-11
Wawa
Gap
Old navy
American eagle
Sunoco
Jack in the box

Those are a few from off the top of my head. There are at least a dozen or two more places.

Then you can beam between devices near instantly with no user interaction. Plus you can use nfc stickers to instantly set you device up for the area you are (car, work, etc).

Basically if you think nfc is useless you either don't know anything about it or are fooling yourself.

I've used this with my AMEX all if 5 times. It's about as fast and as useful as just swiping your credit card or handing it to the waiter at the restaurant.

It's a feature none the less but not killer. Passbook in my view is more useful. As its like having all your cards/tickets in one place and easy to get to. More representative of your walet.

I also don't want my information being sent out wirelessly in a hotspot type area either. Even if apple had put it on. I would most likely turn the feature off. I'd much rather my phone be barcode scanned. But that's me.

ombrenelcielo
Sep 16, 2012, 08:53 AM
Almost as bad as those Apple Tv ads aired during the Olympics.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 08:56 AM

This is really really bad.....

Even as an iPhone user this is embarrassing. The first thing on there is a copy of a Samsung ad for Apple? Although I'm sure it was made by a user not Apple. Half of the features listed to make the iPhones list longer are things the S3 does....come on HDR? Traffic info? LOL

THEN there are things like photo from video? Like a screen shot while recording? Hahah That's just lame..

My favorite though is LED notification. An option designed for the deaf. Where as the S3 is the phone that actually has this feature....

Nearly half of everything on that page has been doctored. Samsung devices like the player is NOT even close to being similar in size to the iPod....

davcolley
Talk about your poor losers

shanson27
Samsung s3 vs Apple 5

http://i.imgur.com/8lNwG.png

thewireman
Sep 16, 2012, 08:58 AM
Thats funny.

lvlarkkoenen
Sep 16, 2012, 09:02 AM
I, personally, totally laughed at the 4.8" vs 4.0" display. My current phone is 4.5" total and I think that's large enough. Larger =/= better, there's an optimum somewhere around the 4.5" (and that's phone size, not screen size) for me. (With content being developed for bigger screens though, it's inconvenient to have much smaller screen sizes.)

I'll take Samsung over Apple because of that, though: They supply me with a choice of which phone suits my needs best. Want a smaller phone, and willing to take the hit in performance? You can't with Apple.

mcman77
Sep 16, 2012, 09:04 AM
All these Samsung/Android lovers - a metaphor for lovers of laggy, cheap equipment.

I take it everything you own is expensive? Or are you saying the iphone is for the rich?

Samsung s3 vs Apple 5

Image (http://i.imgur.com/8lNwG.png)

Come on. You're coping samsung now with their ad campaigns lol

NotABlindiSheep
Sep 16, 2012, 09:05 AM
Samsung is so petty.

Apple pokes fun at all of it's competition. Not only in the "I'm A Mac" commercials, but also in their keynotes. If you've ever paid attention you'll realise that in EVERY keynote they always put figures up about how Android is down and iOS is up, or how RIM is down and Apple are up etc (and I'll add that sources are strangely missing a lot of the time).

But then when Samsung throws out one ad as seen here, everyone says Samsung are pathetic.

It's disturbing how some people just can't look at things objectively without Apple's influence. But then again I am on Macrumors where I doubt most people can think for themselves without their feelings for Apple getting in the way.

What's happening here is simply Samsung fighting fire with fire. Get over it. It's a phone.

akiraboi
Sep 16, 2012, 09:08 AM
I laughed when I saw the ad. Truth be told most of my friends on Samsung/Android phones are heading down to the store with me on Friday to switch to the iPhone 5 after years of me telling them they ought to give the iPhone a shot. I sent this ad to all of them and told them "Last chance to back out on switching!" and this changed none of their minds.

If you like Android, great. I think you should use technology you find useful and like. The one big thing I could never understand in the Android/Apple argument though is the removable battery. I've had an iPhone since launch day in 2007 and never had an issue with battery. Nowadays I'm on the road for work 90% of the time and have never, ever felt restricted by not being able to carry around a spare battery. I talk for thousands of minutes a month and consistently use over 3gb of data while mobile. Are there really people out there who use their phone that much more than me that the removable battery is such a big selling point?

My friend who recently changed from Android after 2 different phones told me that the removable battery was only useful for him to "battery pull" so he could force a restart the phone locked up. :D

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
I've used this with my AMEX all if 5 times. It's about as fast and as useful as just swiping your credit card or handing it to the waiter at the restaurant.

It's a feature none the less but not killer. Passbook in my view is more useful. As its like having all your cards/tickets in one place and easy to get to. More representative of your walet.

I also don't want my information being sent out wirelessly in a hotspot type area either. Even if apple had put it on. I would most likely turn the feature off. I'd much rather my phone be barcode scanned. But that's me.

Granted I see your points however bar codes are probably the weakest form of security.

There is no way to intercept nfc since it range is limited to near contact. Then its just as secure as your credit card, maybe more so since a PIN is required.

Barcode manipulation have been around forever. A simple picture of the person in line using it and now it can be spoofed. HOWEVER I'll reserve my judgment until I use it because I'm sure Apple will make it harder then that to crack.

Nfc is actually wide spread and the tech is getting less expensive. Passbook has no integration anywhere. The video I watched on YouTube of a guy trying to use it at a Hong kong airport and it was a complete failure. While yes it will become more and more popular it just seems there is no infrastructure at all.

jstrahan73
Sep 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
@shanson27
you left out resale value. after having my iphone 4s for a year i was able to sale it for almost $500. havent seen a galaxy s anything do that. my s3 has dropped in value from $600 to $400 - $450 in just 2 months what will it be in a year, $100 ?

FactVsOpinion
Sep 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
Samsung s3 vs Apple 5

Nice!!

faizanshakyboy
Sep 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
Negative advertisement for iPhone 5 more like. Apple buyers are happy to pay for an overpriced phone with the knowledge that it's the best thing that money can buy...adverts like this smack them in the face.

joueboy
Sep 16, 2012, 09:15 AM
Recenly I got me a Nexus 7 my first Android device it got a nice Jellybean smooth like a butter scrolling interface. Then my friend got a Galaxy S3 and he's bragging about it how nice his phone. Then he said that it has a feature of shake to update. I said cool is that updated already because my N7 is JB, then he said mine is ICS. Then I showed him how nice the JB does and he was impressed. The last thing I noticed he was shaking his phone like crazy to update to JB. He probably did a shake his phone a couple hundred times but didn't got the update that he's dying to get. Then finally the scary part happened, because of too much shakng with frustation his phone flew then smack the ground with the screen broken into pieces. Obviously I made up the story I could imagine this thing already happened to somebody. My point is what's the point of shake to update if you are not qualified to update. For the apps it will eat up your data while you're walking around then all of the sudden starts updating without you authorizing it. I think this feature is not worth bragging too bad it ended in their ads.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
Samsung s3 vs Apple 5

But let's all lol at this one hahah

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/16/5ygybyju.jpg

I'm sure there was some mad fan stabbing away at there mac making this.

Edit: tapatalk doesn't like this image lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/16/napyjada.jpg

Gemütlichkeit
Sep 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
All the super fans on both sides love this kinda stuff…

I can just say that these ads might fool a few people.

woodbine
Sep 16, 2012, 09:21 AM
Samsung s3 vs Apple 5

you forgot to turn on the IP5 screen and turn off the S3 screen, but nice list. If I had a million $$ to throw away, I'd run this ad right alongside Sammy's :D

UKBeast
Sep 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
Comparing a phone with looking at hardware specs is a lot old fashioned their mind is old, they think like people in the 90s, windows pc minded company.

Besides, samsung and apple are using different operating systems on differently customized hardware so real life performance scores will not be same. Ios is faster and stable than android.

bretm
Sep 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Oh. You just defined the (insert political party you don't agree with here) party!

thasan
Sep 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
Samsung s3 vs Apple 5

love it!! heres ++++1 for you mate...

fits all pockets... ;)

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
The fact that anyone with a functional brain would not have expected this is amazing.

This is Samsung cornered people. They are being called out in court almost monthly for the dishonest, at times laughable conduct they display.

I used to think it was simply Samsung Mobile that was the problem. Unfortunately things go all they way up these days.

I would be stressed about the launch of the 5 if I were Samsung, considering I'm paying Apple a couple Billion after Jan 2013. Along with the fact that my Galaxy 3 sales just stopped for all intensive purposes.

This add is the Real Samsung, and it's going to backfire nicely. Enjoy it. :apple:

tCruzin4lyfe
Sep 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
This ad is SAD. I'm all about comparisons and I have nothing against the S3 but that stuff at the end of the list is silly. I mean silly only because the iPhone has tons of special features as well that they obviously didn't mention.
And really? They listed S Voice? Lmao. That works like crap for the most part. Tilt to zoom? I'll pass. This ad is mostly for people who don't like Apple or don't know much about smartphones. I have this girl at my job with an S2 and she comes in all the time trying to argue her phone is better but doesn't even know what her phone can actually do. Half the time I'm showing her new stuff everyday smh. These are the kinda people this ad will work on and that's perfectly fine with me.

Phoenixian
Sep 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
....and I endorse this ad.

charlesdayton
So many anti Apple trolls. If you hate Apple and iPhone so much, what are you guys doing on an Apple rumors site? There are Android forums where you can do a more appreciated contribution.

tmarks11
I do wonder what stage the world would be at if Tesla weren't the genius scientist and Edison the businessman. Tesla was working on free power transmitted across the world and was actually bouncing electricity through the entire planet over a hundred years ago but he died broke while Edison reaped the rewards of his stolen sub-standard systems... Hmm, sounds familiar in a way! :D
You need to read a bit more of this history.

Tesla worked for Edison, and proposed polyphase AC power systems. Edison dismissed them as Inefficient, since no AC motors existed to use such power.

Tesla quit after Edison refused to pay him a promised bonus, and eventually went to work for Westinghouse, who bought into 3 phase power distribution, and together they BURIED Edison and his weak DC power distribution scheme.

On his death bed, Edison reportedly stated that the worst mistake in his life was not listening to Tesla. Edison lost a fortune because he wouldn't build Tesla's system.

Tesla made millions along with Westinghouse, but spent it all on his power broadcasting scheme.

MattG
Sep 16, 2012, 09:31 AM
I take it everything you own is expensive? Or are you saying the iphone is for the rich?

Come on. You're coping samsung now with their ad campaigns lol

...that's the joke.

applesith
Sep 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
Why can't Samsung make an add saying how great their phone is without dumping on a competitor? Shouldn't it be good enough to sell itself?

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
Samsung s3 vs Apple 5

Time to discredit another stupid image. Fun!

- 21mbps is the maximum wireless speed for the HSPA+ (AKA non-LTE version).
- Good scrolling physics. Jelly Bean has this.
- FaceTime + iMessage is covered by Google Talk, which is installed on Android by default and supports text, video and voice chat over WiFi and cellular.
- Android has a blue glow overscroll effect in lists rather than an elastic bounce back. Both features adequately indicate that the user has reached the end of a list.
- Resource efficient software. It's easy to be resource efficient when it can't do much.
- "Fits all pockets" is pretty damn subjective.

:rolleyes:

You can do better than that.

AppleScruff1
Sep 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
I find it even more ironic that they are advertising the S-voice, which is a complete rip-off of Siri.

Except that it works and Siri doesn't.

iphonenewsblog
Sep 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
It doesnt matter, google bot knows what people wants :)
http://iphonenews.blogspot.com/2012/09/it-doesnt-take-genius.html

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
So many anti Apple trolls. If you hate Apple and iPhone so much, what are you guys doing on an Apple rumors site? There are Android forums where you can do a more appreciated contribution.

Why are anti-Android users in the "alternatives to iOS" forum is a more appropriate question.

Emmanuelc
Sep 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
Are you part of Apple or a shareholder?
Nah, just expressing my opinion. Lol but i'm not a Droid hater, in the sense I don't talk bad about or argue until someone starts saying that Apple sucks.

gnasher729
Sep 16, 2012, 09:37 AM
790 Hours of Standby time??? 32 days? Thats if the device is powered off right?

They didn't say _consecutive_ hours. Charge the battery. Put phone into standby. Measure how long it lasts. Charge again. And so on, until 790 hours are over.

Got to admit. Samsung has balls :D

Feels more like desparation. Adverts that compare directly to a competitor are stupid, everyone knows that, and they just show desperation. And everyone reading advertisements knows that they try to show one product in the best possible light and everyone subtracts that, so everyone will silently assume that there are lots of iPhone features that are not listed, will assume that measurements (standby, usage) have been done differently, and so on.

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 09:38 AM

That is all it is in here these days. Look at at all the Sept registrations to simply spew venom. They talk about Apple Fans? Samsung Fanboys are downright scary.

Need better moderation. It's a Mac Forum. ;)

theluggage
Sep 16, 2012, 09:38 AM
Do you ever hear Apple or most other companies insult consumers who don't use their products?

Ahem:
Hello, I'm a Mac
And I'm a PC.

From what I've seen of US advertising, knocking the opposition is standard operating practice. Here in the UK, it's rather less common (although the supermarkets have started doing it a bit since, surprise surprise, Walmart arrived). Whenever I've visited the US I've noticed the prevalence of knocking adverts (that and all the adverts for prescription drugs and political campaigns...)

Apple did start doing UK versions of the "I'm a Mac" campaign, but it was short-lived. Not sure whether that was British aversion to knocking copy or the casting (they picked an established comedy double-act and then cast the one with the more sympathetic on-screen persona as Mr PC).

kenskid
Sep 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Ha.....you'll never see that!

QUOTE=KPOM;15690943]Maybe they should add a line:

Samsung: Found by a court to be infringing design patents.[/QUOTE]

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 09:41 AM
That is all it is in here these days. Look at at all the Sept registrations to simply spew venom. They talk about Apple Fans? Samsung Fanboys are downright scary.

It's a Mac forum with an alternatives subforum. It's mainly the Apple fans invading this subforum that are complaining that people are slating Apple. If you don't like it, stick to the Apple forums.

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 09:42 AM

- FaceTime + iMessage is covered by Google Talk, which is installed on Android by default and supports text, video and voice chat over WiFi and cellular.
- Android has a blue glow overscroll effect in lists rather than an elastic bounce back. Both features adequately indicate that the user has reached the end of a list.
- Resource efficient software. It's easy to be resource efficient when it can't do much.

Really? Spent much time on an S3 with Jelly Bean? Thought not. Scrolling is not 4S quality, let alone the 5. It never will be. Too much fragmentation.
Is it better than 4.0? Absolutey. That is as fas as it goes. :)

Zimmy68
Sep 16, 2012, 09:43 AM
It's all true though.

Yep.

Believe me, I am getting an iPhone5 next Friday but I'm not under any illusion that it's some tech marvel.

Apple has been at least a year behind on everything except display.

LTE should have been included on the 4S, if it was, I wouldn't even bother with the 5.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
They forgot to add
AirPlay
iCloud
iTunes Match
Panorama
Thinnest Phone Ever
... I mean, where does it end? If all Samsung can do it make hate ads, they're in for a world of hurt when the sales numbers are listed.

AirPlay - DLNA is a comparable feature.
iCloud - no real answer to iCloud.
iTunes Match - no answer.
Panorama - Galaxy S3 has had this since launch.
Thinnest phone ever - it's not true, the Oppo Finder and others are thinner.

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
It's a Mac forum with an alternatives subforum. It's mainly the Apple fans invading this subforum that are complaining that people are slating Apple. If you don't like it, stick to the Apple forums.

Thanks. :apple:

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
Really? Spent much time on an S3 with Jelly Bean? Thought not. Scrolling is not 4S quality, let alone the 5. It never will be. Too much fragmentation.
Is it better than 4.0? Absolutey. That is as fas as it goes. :)

Did you look at my signature? If you did you'd see that I have an S3 running Jelly Bean :p

Scrolling is every bit as smooth as on my iPad 2.

shanson27
Sep 16, 2012, 09:46 AM

What ist:
Smart stay - no idea ??
Group Cast - No idea ??
Smart alert - No idea ??
Direckt call - no idea ??
Tilt to zoom - no idea ??
Palm swipe capture - iPhone home button + wake up button to take a Screenshot
Shake to update ???? - iPhone >setting>updates

Removable battery is a just a joke, not a feature !

Apple Eater
Sep 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
Samsung
Inspired By Apple, Designed for People Who Cannot Afford Apple Products

The end of the list is ridiculous. Removable batteries and shake to update...............??????????
Funny how Samsung forgets to mention Apple's new 3D maps, its world best iOS6 and its thinness compared to Samsung's big ass S3.
Oh what about the plastic unibody the S3 is made of compared with Apple's aluminum and glass structure? :D

monkeylui
Sep 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
I have the galaxy s3. I moved from iPhone 4s. I wanted the bigger screen. I like android but the battery life is **** compared to my iPhone 4s. And most of those features listed are useless. The phone overall I like. It's not as smooth as ios for sure, but it's decent. I do wish iOS had some of the features that android has. Customization is a crock of **** too. I want to use my phone, not spend time moving crap around.

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
Why can't Samsung make an add saying how great their phone is without dumping on a competitor? Shouldn't it be good enough to sell itself?

Yea true this makes so much sense in a country run on capitalism.

How dare car companies compare their features to each other can't they just sell their car themselves? How dare people have to the right to know hardware and software differences between devices. How dare sites like gsmarena exist which show me all the specs of whatever device I search for.

Most of all how dare a company try to outsell another company can't they all just share profits?

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
Yep.

Believe me, I am getting an iPhone5 next Friday but I'm not under any illusion that it's some tech marvel.

Apple has been at least a year behind on everything except display.

LTE should have been included on the 4S, if it was, I wouldn't even bother with the 5.

A year behind some peoples expectations? Or simply waiting until Apple is ready to release according to it's internal plan?

By the end of Dec your going to see 70 million new owners who could care less about expectations.

They want "The Ecosystem". It's about the User Experience. Not just specs. Specs are very important to many. That is fine. I love specs, current tech, I want it too.

However, all my devices working seamlessly together is far more important.
As is being demonstrated by sales of iPhones, iPads, iMacs, MacBooks, etc...

It's Apple schedule. They know what they are doing. :)

duffman9000
Sep 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
I have a Nexus 7.

Can't copy and paste text from within the conversation. Another incomplete google crap app.

No, no, a thousand times no. Many times the blue glow is barely visible. Other times it's not even present. I'm talking to you Chrome! Chrome is so incomplete people have resorted to installing the AOSP browser. Talk about quality control.

The things I like about the Nexus 7 would suck on a small screen, and I'm NOT referring to an iPhone either.

Now let me add one quality that the GSIII or any Android tablet can't match: The freaking app store! The most annoying thing about my Nexus 7 is many apps crash because they're not optimized for tablets. Apps that are supposed to work instantly crash. You can do better than that. :rolleyes:

macchiato2009
Sep 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
In related news, SamEsong apologises and would like to issue the following corrections to their ad:

Image (http://www.deviantart.com/download/6344712045411580/samsunglawdegree2_by_theanimaster-d5ez8oz.png)

:D :p

shanson27
Sep 16, 2012, 09:55 AM
What the hell is: :rolleyes:

Smart stay - ??
Group Cast - ??
Smart alert - ??
Direckt call - ??
Tilt to zoom - ??

JJ08
Sep 16, 2012, 09:55 AM
They forgot Apple's attention to detail. How abt fit-in-pocket capability? comfortable to use in one hand? its the little things. removable battery, seriously? shoulda jus said it comes in a box.

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
I have a Nexus 7.

Can't copy and paste text from within the conversation. Another incomplete google crap app.

No, no, a thousand times no. Many times the blue glow is barely visible. Other times it's not even present. I'm talking to you Chrome! Chrome is so incomplete people have resorted to installing the AOSP browser. Talk about quality control.

The things I like about the Nexus 7 would suck on a small screen, and I'm NOT referring to an iPhone either.

Now let me add one quality that the GSIII or any Android tablet can't match: The freaking app store! The most annoying thing about my Nexus 7 is many apps crash because they're not optimized for tablets. Apps that are supposed to work instantly crash. You can do better than that. :rolleyes:

list the apps. android doesn't differentiate between tablets unless you enable tablet mode in build. prop which even phone users can do.

You sound trollish. I think you are referring to Jelly Bean incompatibilities which has nothing to do with whether the Nexus 7 is a tablet or not.

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
And is this really the way to win over new customers? How many people switched to the Mac because of the Mac v PC ads? Apple has a loyal customer base something I don't think Samsung will ever have. :).

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
What ist:
Smart stay - no idea ??
Group Cast - No idea ??
Smart alert - No idea ??
Direckt call - no idea ??
Tilt to zoom - no idea ??
Palm swipe capture - iPhone home button + wake up button to take a Screenshot
Shake to update ???? - iPhone >setting>updates

Removable battery is a just a joke, not a feature !

Smart stay - screen stays on while you're looking at it. Great for reading.
Group cast - share files, go through presentations etc. with people on the same WiFi network as you. Seems unnecessarily complicated and I don't really have a use for it.
Smart alert - phone vibrates when you pick it up and have unread notifications.
Direct call - phone calls the contact you're viewing or whose message you're reading when you put the phone to your ear.
Tilt to zoom - you place your thumb on a part of the picture you want to zoom in on and then tilt the phone back and forth to zoom in/out. Not as intuitive as pinch to zoom IMO.
Palm swipe capture - you can use that method to take a screenshot on the S3 too. I don't use half of these gestures Samsung has listed and I think they're very gimmicky.
Shake to update - this updates accounts you have set up to auto-sync, it also looks for WiFi networks and Bluetooth devices. It's not clear from any of Samsung's documentation what this does, I had to find it online. Another feature I don't use.

Not sure why you think a removable battery is a joke. It (a) allows you to carry a spare and (b) allows you to replace the battery when it starts to degrade over time.

Radio
Sep 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
It's all true though.

Lol let me be a sheep!

I'm too invested in the apple ecosystem

But yes I agree apple is just trying to catch up in phone tech

sk1wbw
Sep 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
Well, the article IS correct in one thing. It DOESN'T take a genius to use an iPhone.

Actually, if Samsung is referring to the Genius Bar, which we know they are, they of course fail to mention that the Genius Bar handles everything from hardware repair, setup, and software installation and training. Not just iPhone related issues.

Radio
Sep 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
It's all true though.

Samsung

The end of the list is ridiculous. Removable batteries and shake to update...............??????????
Funny how Samsung forgets to mention Apple's new 3D maps, its world best iOS6 and its thinness compared to Samsung's big ass S3.
Oh what about the plastic unibody the S3 is made of compared with Apple's aluminum and glass structure? :D

Don't be so petty

Anyone buying an android phone can buy an apple phone on contract

U aren't any special

It's funny people who make these arguments are poor students lol

Post up your salary

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
Why does an Apple fan site even have a sub forum for (mostly) non-Apple fans? Aren't there Android sites where y'all can get off on the latest Samsung gadget? :confused:

KdParker
Sep 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
Again....it is not the phone that is the problem with the samsumg. It is the OS, either you want droid or not

rever3nce
Sep 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
I love how siri is across from S voice, wonder where Samsung got that idea from lol

KdParker
Sep 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
Why does an Apple fan site even have a sub forum for (mostly) non-Apple fans? Aren't there Android sites where y'all can get off on the latest Samsung gadget? :confused:

right. You would think there is ;)

sk1wbw
Lol let me be a sheep!

Well, you're correct in that Apple plays catch up. But you fail to mention that they only release one phone a year.

But you also fail to mention that HTC plays catch up with Samsung which plays catch up with everyone else who plays catch up with everyone else because one month one manufacturer might release a phone with a quad core Tegra whatever and special camera this or that or whatever, and then the next month another manufacturer plays catch up with that previous manufacturer by releasing a handset with the same features.

So everyone plays catch up with everyone else, because not every single handset manufacturer can release the exact same hardware specs at the same time every time they release a new handset.

jctevere
Who else thinks they should start up a "Get an iPhone" campaign with Justin Long for iOS vs android?

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:03 AM

Fair comment. Seems like a pretty silly feature to miss.

I've never ever had problems seeing the blue glow. Chrome doesn't need the blue glow because it has scroll bars (which make more sense so that you can see exactly where on the page you are, both horizontally and vertically).

Bear in mind that Apple owns a patent on the elastic scroll feature, so Sammy/Android can't just use it.

Yeah that would be pretty annoying. I'm talking about the GS3 though, not the Nexus 7.

genovelle
Right? Like Apple's stealing all those good ideas from hackers who thought them up. We wouldn't even have the App Store if it weren't for Cydia.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Cydia was release in February of 2008. Oddly right after iPhone OS 2.0 was give to developers. They copied the ability to sell app packages within they software like the REAL Appstore in 2009.

We live in a dangerous world where people like you make out hackers to be heroes. Being bad it soooooo cool! This is what they want you to think. They don't care if you support them or not. They just want you to help lower the level of protection so they can steal your credit card info or your identity. I would rather be a sheep with a good shepherd than in a herd outside the gate with a wolf in sheep's clothing.

DFlyingDutchman
The ad totally shows Samsung's idiocy. The reason Apple continues to grow exponentially is because they realized a long time ago that we are long past the era where success in the marketplace is dependent on who's product has a better spec sheet. Now we're in an era of User Experience Design (UXD). The reason the Wii sold so well was because it provided the experience, not the spec sheet. iTunes grew geometrically in music sales in the era of Napster/Kazaa not because of people feeling warm about legal purchases, but because with 1 click and only $0.99, music was in your library, organized, labeled, and guaranteed to be the real version. Consumers assume the products they are buying are high-tech, and accomplish their main tasks. Most average users don't even know how to do anything beyond phone, email, text, and download apps. It's the whole package and ease of use that they have bought into with apple products. That is something that will never show up on a spec sheet. But so long as other companies think like engineers, and try to outsell to engineers, they will keep being beat. The average user just wants what they buy to fit into their life, and not have to change to fit their product. Showing a spec sheet and thinking that that is what will swing the average user, not just the techies, shows how misguided at the core Samsung is.

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
I love how siri is across from S voice, wonder where Samsung got that idea from lol

I would imagine they got the idea from the company who developed siri for the iPhone 4 long before Apple bought them. You know the Siri that actually worked.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:05 AM

Probably because owning one device doesn't mean you can't own the other :p

I have an iPad and an S3. I'm on Android sites and I respond to people who spread rubbish about the iOS devices on places like XDA in the same way that I do here about Android.

shanson27
Sep 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
Smart stay - screen stays on while you're looking at it. Great for reading.
Group cast - share files, go through presentations etc. with people on the same WiFi network as you. Seems unnecessarily complicated and I don't really have a use for it.
Smart alert - phone vibrates when you pick it up and have unread notifications.
Direct call - phone calls the contact you're viewing or whose message you're reading when you put the phone to your ear.
Tilt to zoom - you place your thumb on a part of the picture you want to zoom in on and then tilt the phone back and forth to zoom in/out. Not as intuitive as pinch to zoom IMO.
Palm swipe capture - you can use that method to take a screenshot on the S3 too. I don't use half of these gestures Samsung has listed and I think they're very gimmicky.
Shake to update - this updates accounts you have set up to auto-sync, it also looks for WiFi networks and Bluetooth devices. It's not clear from any of Samsung's documentation what this does, I had to find it online. Another feature I don't use.

Not sure why you think a removable battery is a joke. It (a) allows you to carry a spare and (b) allows you to replace the battery when it starts to degrade over time.

●Group cast - share files, go through presentations etc. with people on the same WiFi network as you - It's a copy of Apple's AirDrop
●Smart alert - phone vibrates when you pick it up and have unread notifications. - useless, better safe your battery
●Direct call - phone calls the contact you're viewing or whose message you're reading when you put the phone to your ear. - This is soooooo stupid, not a real feature
●Palm swipe capture - you can use that method to take a screenshot on the S3 too - iPhone Wake up button+ home button to take a screen-shot

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Because people like other apple products but not their phones? Its not you either like all of apple or none of them.

I own a S3, ipad, imac, and rmbp... this is a good place for me to discuss the S3.

charlesdayton

I find them more funny than scarry. They are like people of a political party going to the opposite party's committee talking crap and expecting to be welcomed.

NutsNGum
Don't be so petty

Post up your salary

rdlink
Sep 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
I have the galaxy s3. I moved from iPhone 4s. I wanted the bigger screen. I like android but the battery life is **** compared to my iPhone 4s. And most of those features listed are useless. The phone overall I like. It's not as smooth as ios for sure, but it's decent. I do wish iOS had some of the features that android has. Customization is a crock of **** too. I want to use my phone, not spend time moving crap around.

This captures it easily and succinctly. I feel exactly the same way, except for two things:

I DON't want a bigger screen. In fact, I'm nervous that my iPhone 5 will be too big in my pocket when it arrives.

Even though the Android OS is "decent" that's not enough for me. Before the iPhone there were a whole boatload of phones that were "decent." But now you can have one that is better in most ways, and blows away the competition in things like battery life, ease of use, standardization, and upgrades that actually encompass the whole ecosystem, and are controlled by the OS/hardware manufacturer instead of the carriers. And that phone is an iPhone.

I've owned 6 Android devices (the last two just to keep myself current on their advancement). I've gotten rid of every one. I want my phone to be there for me and work. I don't want to spend my nights rooting it, and my days moving icons and widgets around (while it's plugged in).

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
●Group cast - share files, go through presentations etc. with people on the same WiFi network as you - It's a copy of Apple's Airplay
●Smart alert - phone vibrates when you pick it up and have unread notifications. - useless, better safe your battery
●Direct call - phone calls the contact you're viewing or whose message you're reading when you put the phone to your ear. - This is soooooo stupid, not a real feature
●Palm swipe capture - you can use that method to take a screenshot on the S3 too - iPhone Wake up button+ home button to take a screen-shot

Group cast - probably. Like I said, I don't use it.

Smart alert - I have it on all the time and it hardly uses any battery.

Direct call - I use this a lot, but only because there's no "call" button in the SMS app. If there was a call button, I would just as easily tap that.

Palm swipe capture - I know. Like I said, wake up+home works on the GS3 too.

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 10:09 AM
Group cast - share files, go through presentations etc. with people on the same WiFi network as you - It's a copy of Apple's Airplay
Smart alert - phone vibrates when you pick it up and have unread notifications. - useless, better safe your battery
Direct call - phone calls the contact you're viewing or whose message you're reading when you put the phone to your ear. - This is soooooo stupid, not a real feature
Palm swipe capture - you can use that method to take a screenshot on the S3 too - iPhone Wake up button+ home button to take a screen-shot

And airplay is a apple proprietary version of dlna!

sfwalter
Sep 16, 2012, 10:09 AM
I had to go look up what tilt to zoom was. You have to hold your samsung with 2 hands and then you tilt the phone. Seems kind worthless and less precise way to zoom a photo than pinch to zoom. Here's a video to see it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHedkDG3hyw

jstrahan73
Sep 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
Lol let me be a sheep!

id reather them to play catch up and it work right then them just put it in cause its something new and it half*** work

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:10 AM

Apple always create proprietary cables and technologies which makes things damn awkward if you ever want to switch to something else, or if you want to bring your existing accessories with you. :(

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
What doesnt work right on a phone like the S3? Give us examples please... thanks

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
I had to go look up what tilt to zoom was. You have to hold your samsung with 2 hands and then you tilt the phone. Seems kind worthless and less precise way to zoom a photo than pinch to zoom. Here's a video to see it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHedkDG3hyw

It's much less precise. I turned it off straight after I tried it out.

A lot of the gestures Samsung posted in their ad are stupid. They could have posted other things that actually make the phone worthy of a purchase.

shk718
Sep 16, 2012, 10:13 AM
That I do like. It would be really nice to just be able to turn my phone over and not worry about it until I DECIDE to look at it. No more interruptions. (Yes, I know it's easy to flip the switch on the side, turning it over is just a cool inovation to make it even simpler. Plus, you could make the switch vibrate and turning it over completely silent.) doesn't help you in a movie theater - unless you flip yourself to mute the phone ;)

cdmoore74
Sep 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
What's worst; this or the Jimmy Kimmel spot? Your average iPhone customer cannot tell the difference between a iPhone 4, iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. People only buy iPhone's to make a fashion statement the majority of the time. The others because their locked into the ecosystem.

johncrab
Sep 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
"It doesn't take a genius...to steal someone else's ideas and pass them off as their own."

rantor49
Sep 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
Don't your apple devices use Samsung parts? Whose the chump?:D

Samsung....

Fanboy4ever
Sep 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
" I want my phone to be there for me and work. I don't want to spend my nights rooting it, and my days moving icons and widgets around (while it's plugged in)."

The I WANT generation .... yup, I WANT Santa to be real too ... ye, gad!

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:18 AM
"It doesn't take a genius...to steal someone else's ideas and pass them off as their own."

http://cdn3.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/android-vs-ios-notifications1.jpg

No... it doesn't.

Truffy
Sep 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
...on both sides.

Obi Wan Kenobi
Sep 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
Clearly Samsung think the iphone 5 is setting the new standard for smart phones.

Why else would they mention it?

(and it isn't even on sale yet)

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 10:20 AM

Picasso had a saying: ‘Good artists copy, great artists steal.’ We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas… ~Steve Jobs

eat crow

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 10:21 AM
Image (http://cdn3.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/android-vs-ios-notifications1.jpg)

No... it doesn't.

They didnt even steal the idea that well. IOS has a poor implementation of a notification center.

rdlink

Except that it actually works...

dlna is kludgy, ugly, has an inconsistent interface and cryptic error messages, and is unreliable.

Comparing dlna to Airplay is like comparing the Apple I to the 2011 iMac. Get real.

matttye
Clearly Samsung think the iphone 5 (and it isn't even on sale yet) is setting the new standard for smart phones. Why else would they mention it?

Because they think Apple are going to sell a crapload of them (which they will).

Fanboy4ever
Sep 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
"People only buy iPhone's to make a fashion statement the majority of the time. The others because their locked into the ecosystem."

No doubt this is a statement backed up with reliable sampling and properly conducted research?

I like my iPhone because it is a nicely designed and reliable piece of equipment. Not a "fashion statement". So, my writing this could it possibly skew your 'scientific observation'? Just saying ....

dgree03

It's kludgy, ugly, has an inconsistent interface and cryptic error messages, and is unreliable.

Comparing dlna to Airplay is like comparing the Apple I to the 2011 iMac. Get real.

I think its clunky that I have to have all apple devices for a dlna like feature to work... it is inconsistent if I dont have the right apple or apple licensed equipment. Dlna is a standard and it works like it should.. just without the gimmcky marketing name like "airplay"

matttye
They didnt even steal the idea that well. IOS has a poor implementation of a notification center.

Agreed!

dlna is kludgy, ugly, has an inconsistent interface and cryptic error messages, and is unreliable.

DLNA works fine and is widely supported by a lot of devices and accessories.

I'm not saying that AirPlay is bad. Proprietary technologies are not good for the consumer though. It allows companies to charge more for products that implement them, because you don't really have another choice. For example; lightning accessories will cost more than MicroUSB ones and iPhone users don't get a say in the matter.

sinsin07
It's much less precise. I turned it off straight after I tried it out.

A lot of the gestures Samsung posted in their ad are stupid. They could have posted other things that actually make the phone worthy of a purchase.

They don't know what makes the phone worthy of a purchase.

northernbaldy
Sep 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
play nice kids

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
They don't know what makes the phone worthy of a purchase.

Seems that way. They should've listed some Android features; widgets, file system access, a decent and extensible sharing API, etc.

k995
Sep 16, 2012, 10:27 AM
Maybe they should add a line:

Samsung’s trial with Apple may be ongoing in the US, but the company has scored an early success in its home market of South Korea, where a court has ruled that Apple infringed on two of the company’s patents, The Wall Street Journal reports

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/08/24/samsung-scores-victory-south-korea-court-rules-apple-infringed-patents/

Of course for an american it didnt happen if its outside of the US?

DarkReaper79
Sep 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
i switched to a Samsung Galaxy and couldnt be happier. To me (as in my opinion) The iphone and ios got stale. Seeing the same interface with little to no changes was mind numbing. While the new iphone looks good, i wont be getting one. Completely happy with my Sammy. I dont think Samsung is worried about the iphone. I think apple markets everything as the latest and greatest, when alot of the time its not. There products are designed well and look good. But spec wise they fall short in some aspects. Hell im on a mac now but thinking of going back to pc cause of the price point. Everyone is different feelings about this...

sinsin07
Sep 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
Seems that way. They should've listed some Android features; widgets, file system access, a decent and extensible sharing API, etc.

Yes. Non geeks seek mobile devices for file system access and a decent and extensible sharing API, etc..

MacCurry
Sep 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
Agreed!

DLNA works fine and is widely supported by a lot of devices and accessories.

I'm not saying that AirPlay is bad. Proprietary technologies are not good for the consumer though. It allows companies to charge more for products that implement them, because you don't really have another choice. For example; lightning accessories will cost more than MicroUSB ones and iPhone users don't get a say in the matter.

I agree. DLNA is implemented on many TVs and other devices far more than AirPlay. If my phone has DLNA on it and I want to show a short video, chances are I can do that in more places.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
●Group cast - share files, go through presentations etc. with people on the same WiFi network as you - It's a copy of Apple's AirDrop

Group cast. No comment I never heard of air drop but a little reading seems its similar but not a copy. Seems more of a closed system sort of thing but like I said I've never used it.

Smart alert. So how do you know if you missed anything when you pick your phone up? If you are like me you manually need to turn on the screen and look using time and battery. And with my email set to not show on a lock screen I need to type my password in and go into the notification center. I think this is a great idea.

Direct call. Its a pain in the ass if you are texting and need to press the time, then press call, THEN put the phone to your ear. Less steps, I'd find that useful.

Palm swipe capture. This is just easier to do, I can't take a screen shot with one hand on my iPhone.

Edit : dumb you can't tilt to zoom with one hand

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
Yes. Non geeks seek mobile devices for file system access and a decent and extensible sharing API, etc..

Well yes the sharing API yes. People who know nothing find it useful to take a picture and then be able to choose to share to email, twitter, drop box, instagram, Facebook, etc etc

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
Probably because owning one device doesn't mean you can't own the other :p

I have an iPad and an S3. I'm on Android sites and I respond to people who spread rubbish about the iOS devices on places like XDA in the same way that I do here about Android.

Yeah but there sure is an influx of anti apple posters here and I just don't get it. Why waste your time on something you don't like? Or trying to convince people that what they like is inferior? I think Samsung's phones are butt ugly and the glossy plastic looks incredibly cheap so I'll never own one, but I could care less if others do. If they're happy with their phone choice good for them. :) Unfortunately it seems to bother a lot of Android/Windows fans that there are Apple fans happy with their Apple products, routinely referring to Apple fans as "fanboys" and sheep". So if you like and use an iPhone your drinking the Apple kool-aid but if you like and use an S III you're not drinking Samsung kool-aid?

sinsin07
Sep 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
Samsung’s trial with Apple may be ongoing in the US, but the company has scored an early success in its home market of South Korea, where a court has ruled that Apple infringed on two of the company’s patents, The Wall Street Journal reports

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/08/24/samsung-scores-victory-south-korea-court-rules-apple-infringed-patents/

You neglected this part:
"Samsung has also been ordered to stop sales of infringing products, but the affected devices are older models, rather than its current generation."

South Korea Court Says Samsung, Apple Infringed Each Other's Patents (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444812704577608242792921450.html)

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 10:33 AM

Outside the US? Them fightin words....

Pock
Sep 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
What I love about the iPhone and the rest of the iOS family of devices is that specifications are considered irrelevant. What's important is the user's experience of the device, and this comes from good design, efficient software and the way in which these two elements work together.

This, for me, is where Apple excels and the reason why I continue to buy their phones. Everything is designed under one roof, and all devices work well together.

For this reason an advert that highlights specifications is useless as it has little effect on the end-experience. However, there are obviously people who are not as clued-up and can be persuaded to buy a product on specs alone.

nikhsub1
The S3 is a nice piece of hardware for sure, I don't think anyone can deny that. It's the os that is a problem for me (and most that use the iPhone for that matter). All the spec nerds that argue on tech specs don't get it. It's 99% about the OS and Apple/app ecosystem then tech specs. Furthermore, I know many people who are more than thrilled to hold onto their iPhone 4 for another couple of years. Not even the 4s but regular 4. The specs inside the phone matter so much less than what people argue over so long as it works.

faroZ06
Far from it. Perhaps you should do a bit of simple research. Apple is the largest publicly traded company (but not private) by market cap (shares outanding times market price).

There are plenty of companies that have a larger income, more employees, more profit, etc.

By "largest", I was referring to company value. Also, I forgot to mention how much publicity Apple has.

sinsin07
Sep 16, 2012, 10:37 AM
Well yes the sharing API yes. People who know nothing find it useful to take a picture and then be able to choose to share to email, twitter, drop box, instagram, Facebook, etc etc

Are you saying this can't be done in IOS?

zumzum
Sep 16, 2012, 10:38 AM
Samsung, another ad that proves how SAMSUNG just doesn't get it. Next time SAMSUNG will sue clothes stores for not selling pants with oversize pockets to fit their crapy S3.

Love this one:
http://www.wildjackcasino.com/files/wj/images/web-meme-exam-cheaters-apple-samsung-nokia.jpg

iPhone 5 rocks!

jstrahan73
Sep 16, 2012, 10:38 AM
love trying to fill in forms in landscape view on gs3. NOT

sinsin07
Sep 16, 2012, 10:40 AM
samsung, another ad that proves how samsung just doesn't get it. Next time samsung will sue clothes stores for not selling pants with oversize pockets to fit their crapy s3.

Love this one:
http://www.wildjackcasino.com/files/wj/images/web-meme-exam-cheaters-apple-samsung-nokia.jpg

iphone 5 rocks!

lmoa

carlemil
Sep 16, 2012, 10:40 AM
How many fonts can there seriously be displayed in one ad? Samsung - designed for humans. Well it is pretty human to fail, so I guess they got that part right.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:41 AM

In the era of social networking, I think a lot of people would be interested in a decent sharing API. Something you like on Twitter? Share it on Facebook! Something you like on Facebook? Share it on Twitter! Something you like on Google+? Share it on Instagram!

You can do all of these things very easily on Android.

Yeah but there sure is an influx of anti apple posters here and I just don't get it. Why waste your time on something you don't like? Or trying to convince people that what they like is inferior? I think Samsung's phones are butt ugly and the glossy plastic looks incredibly cheap so I'll never own one, but I could care less if others do. If they're happy with their phone choice good for them. :) Unfortunately it seems to bother a lot of Android/Windows fans that there are Apple fans happy with their Apple products, routinely referring to Apple fans as "fanboys" and sheep". So if you like and use an iPhone your drinking the Apple kool-aid but if you like and use an S III you're not drinking Samsung kool-aid?

It's the Apple fans that are bombarding this thread with negative comments despite it being the alternatives forum, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about Android fans.

FYI: I think the iPad is vastly superior to any Android tablet. I just don't like the iPhone.

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
What's worst; this or the Jimmy Kimmel spot? Your average iPhone customer cannot tell the difference between a iPhone 4, iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. People only buy iPhone's to make a fashion statement the majority of the time. The others because their locked into the ecosystem.

Just curious would you be able to tell the difference between a Lumia 800, 900 and 920? Why is it so important to know the difference between one phone and another? :confused: and although I don't agree that iPhone users are just interested in making a "fashion statement", even if they were, who cares?

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 10:42 AM

There are some Mac users who hate iOS. My friend is an example, but his reasons are pretty bad, and it's clear that he just loves Google (even before they made Android). He loves having the ability to change the animation speed in Android, even though he left it at default anyway.

NikeTalk
Sep 16, 2012, 10:42 AM
It's all true though.This. Nothing distorted.

duffman9000
Sep 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
list the apps. android doesn't differentiate between tablets unless you enable tablet mode in build. prop which even phone users can do.

You sound trollish. I think you are referring to Jelly Bean incompatibilities which has nothing to do with whether the Nexus 7 is a tablet or not.

You sound trollish. I'm referring to apps that are supposed to work. As in, the google play store will allow me to install the app. Which it will not allow for incompatible apps. So shut your troll face.

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
In the era of social networking, I think a lot of people would be interested in a decent sharing API. Something you like on Twitter? Share it on Facebook! Something you like on Facebook? Share it on Twitter! Something you like on Google+? Share it on Instagram!

You can do all of these things very easily on Android.

It's the Apple fans that are bombarding this thread with negative comments despite it being the alternatives forum, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about Android fans.

FYI: I think the iPad is vastly superior to any Android tablet. I just don't like the iPhone.

Because this is about a Samsung ad ripping the iPhone. And the story on the main page links to this thread in the alternate forum.

nba1341
Sep 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
There are some Mac users who hate iOS. My friend is an example, but his reasons are pretty bad, and it's clear that he just loves Google (even before they made Android). He loves having the ability to change the animation speed in Android, even though he left it at default anyway.

He must also love not seeing ads in apps and while Web browsing?