PDA

View Full Version : See Samsung's Sunday newspaper ad about the iPhone 5. Whats your thoughts? (merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

JOHNGAETANO
Sep 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
I care because I've owned 3000 shares of the stock since 1998. The math tells you why I care. It's made me a rich man.

Why should I, as a consumer, care about Apple's stock price? Why do you, as a consumer, care about Apple's stock price?

Apple charge more for their devices and accessories, hence why they have a higher profit margin.

Obi Wan Kenobi
The S3 is a nice piece of hardware for sure, I don't think anyone can deny that. It's the os that is a problem for me (and most that use the iPhone for that matter). All the spec nerds that argue on tech specs don't get it. It's 99% about the OS and Apple/app ecosystem then tech specs. Furthermore, I know many people who are more than thrilled to hold onto their iPhone 4 for another couple of years. Not even the 4s but regular 4. The specs inside the phone matter so much less than what people argue over so long as it works.

Too true. I'm still v happy with my iPhone 4, and don't feel the need to rush out and get the 5.

My contract is up, and the only new features that appeal to me are the better camera, and being able to have 64gb memory. An iPhone 4S would handle that. Unfortunately Apple have just stopped selling them.

Dogface
Doctors do not recommend a Samsung a day. End of.

sinsin07
Sep 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
snip...It's the Apple fans that are bombarding this thread with negative comments despite it being the alternatives forum, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about Android fans.

FYI: I think the iPad is vastly superior to any Android tablet. I just don't like the iPhone.
Thanks for the heads up. Didn't realize this was an "alternative" forum, linked to it from the main MR news page.

I'll leave you to your "alternatives", never use them myself unless pressed. :p;):D

Android users on a MR site. Smacks of desperation.

Porsche has a tag line: There is no subsitute.

See ya

macingman
Sep 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Galaxy S III can't do like Facebook and Twitter integration, AirPlay, and access to thousands of more apps

I agree with you however these facts are wrong, Android has had social network integration way earlier than Apple have.

Samsung are offering something similar to Airplay however I can't confirm the usefulness of it and whether it is on par with Airplay.

Also the most recent reports have said that Android and Apple have more or less an even amount of apps available on their respective stores. Although some iPhone apps tend to be better I do remember reading that about half of apps available on the iPhone are never downloaded even once and simply get buried. Quality of the respective stores is very subjective however so app store preferences is really just personal opinion.

Rot'nApple
Sep 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
They are not targeting iPhone fanboys. They are targeting regular people who are undecided what to get. That's why they make fun of the fanboy in their ads too.

Samsung makes fun of the fanboy in their ads OR secretly WISHED they had that constant experience?!

Yeah, Samsung is jealousssss because they wish they had that Fanboy problem!

Don't think for one second Samsung wouldn't give their **insert your favorite body part here** to be able to show pictures of people lining up days before their Galaxy S2 launch, S3 launch, S4... etc.

Don't think for one second Samsung wouldn't give their **insert your favorite body part here** to be able to see on news reports of third party apps that are developed for your iPhone or Android device? When actually the apps are made to run on iOS and Android OS. So to define it as iPhone and Android device is a simplistic way of saying iPhone and "everybody else"!

Don't think for one second Samsung wouldn't give their **insert your favorite body part here** to have their precious Galaxy S3 image to be associated with smartphone every time the news media or commercial businesses need to pull an image to represent smart phones!

Sure Samsung needs to target "undecideds" with their poke at Apple fanboyism ads. Samsung doesn't want to see those lines for the iPhone to grow even longer!

Or to put it succinctly from a MDN story...

“Samsung’s biggest problem isn’t that its phone doesn’t have some fine rational attributes. It’s that the brand hasn’t captured hearts,” Matyszczyk writes. “There are no lists nor self-help books that can tell you how to do that. That does, sometimes, take a little genius.”

Read more at http://macdailynews.com/2012/09/16/samsung-runs-print-ad-attacking-apples-iphone-5-in-major-u-s-newspapers/#t2bZZQIyx3o0tjlG.99

erzhik
Sep 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
It's called an ad people, calm down. If you start defending Apple, this ad did what it was supposed to, to piss off Apple fans.

Jefferson Ng
Sep 16, 2012, 10:51 AM
iPhone 5 - 4.0 inch with 1136x640 resolution vs S3 - 4.8 inch with 1280x720 resolution... if u do it in math, obviously iPhone 5 has much clearer screen.... so :apple: iPhone 5 ftw! :)

duffman9000
Sep 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Maybe Samsung should focus on fending off the next price fixing scandal.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Because this is about a Samsung ad ripping the iPhone. And the story on the main page links to this thread in the alternate forum.

So people just HAVE to post here because it's linked?

I care because I've owned 3000 shares of the stock since 1998. The math tells you why I care. It's made me a rich man.

Fair enough, but using stock value in an argument with average consumers is stupid. Why would your average user care?

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't realize this was an "alternative" forum, linked to it from the main MR news page.

I'll leave you to your "alternatives", never use them myself unless pressed. :p;):D

Android users on a MR site. Smacks of desperation.

Porsche has a tag line: There is no subsitute.

See ya

I wondered why this thread was so popular :p

I am an iPad user as well as well as an Android user. Just because someone is an Android user doesn't mean they don't use Apple products (or vice versa).

heat305fan
Sep 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
Spouting a list of specs is a bit juvenile. Who buys from looking and comparing specs these days? You test drive, find if the features benefit you or not and make a purchasing decision from there. People always ask why I stick with Apple despite products that they sell have "inferior" specs than the competition. I simply state the benefits that Apple provide me far outweigh those of it's competitors.

I mean I look at the ad and go wow a list and it shows Samsung's is longer? So I purchase the phone... what I fail to realize I no longer can use Keynote Remote, AirPlay, iCloud, and Wi-Fi sync with iTunes on my mac (features of the iPhone I personally use aside from phone, messages, safari and mail).

k995
Sep 16, 2012, 11:03 AM
●Group cast - share files, go through presentations etc. with people on the same WiFi network as you - It's a copy of Apple's AirDrop
In reality of course this existed long before on ios an android. Apple copied just as much

●Smart alert - phone vibrates when you pick it up and have unread notifications. - useless, better safe your battery
Not at all but of copurse if apple brought out the same it would be 'magic'

●Direct call - phone calls the contact you're viewing or whose message you're reading when you put the phone to your ear. - This is soooooo stupid, not a real feature

Saves a touch or two, isnt tha innovation ?

●Palm swipe capture - you can use that method to take a screenshot on the S3 too - iPhone Wake up button+ home button to take a screen-shot
Yes always very easy push several buttons at once

matttye
Spouting a list of specs is a bit juvenile. Who buys from looking and comparing specs these days? You test drive, find if the features benefit you or not and make a purchasing decision from there. People always ask why I stick with Apple despite products that they sell have "inferior" specs than the competition. I simply state the benefits that Apple provide me far outweigh those of it's competitors.

I mean I look at the ad and go wow a list and it shows Samsung's is longer? So I purchase the phone... what I fail to realize I no longer can use Keynote Remote, AirPlay, iCloud, and Wi-Fi sync with iTunes on my mac (features of the iPhone I personally use aside from phone, messages, safari and mail).

Everyone does it. Apple are always banging on about PPI for a start.

Gage
You sound trollish. So shut your troll face.

Lol. This thread is getting people so worked up over an ad. I think some of you have the cra-cra

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
So people just HAVE to post here because it's linked?
I'm guessing some don't pay attention to what the forum is. I usually don't when commenting on articles on the main page. Plus since this topic does involve an iPhone comparison what exactly are Apple fans invading? :confused:

mike423
Sep 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
Im happy for Samsung. It takes hard work to built a phone after a "Fridge" and a "Microwave".

The next big thing would be a Samsung "Tissue Box" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 11:13 AM
Usability only mirrors quality or the lack of it.

checkers7788
Sep 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
I think this just makes Samsung look pretty desperate, the same as when they launched those commercials against Apple with the customers waiting in line for the next iPhone (If that even was Samsung, I forget, sorry).

The fact that a company has to hide behind technical specifications that really don't even convince me that the Smasung Galaxy is "better", I find cheap. The reason I picked the new iPhone is that I feel Samsung has not character. It's empty. They list iOS6 as a simple spec, which when it's unpacked really is so much more and has so much more life than anything the Galaxy has to offer.

Totally respect anyone who uses Android, I had one and it was a great phone. The galaxy is an impressive phone, but I think it tries too hard.

genovelle
Sep 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
Why does an Apple fan site even have a sub forum for (mostly) non-Apple fans? Aren't there Android sites where y'all can get off on the latest Samsung gadget? :confused:
I agree completely. I don't get it. Maybe Samsung pays them to come here. It is the only answer that makes any sense. Otherwise why would they care?

pure3d2
Sep 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
it omits the LG Prada as well... that argument has been debunked many times, im tired of people even still making it.

You mean this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLOGUQouUI) LG Prada? It's so much like the iPhone! LG and Prada should sue Apple!

ghsNick
Sep 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
Haha, "A totally different plug."

Do you know how stupid that makes a tech company sound...why not say "Lighting Plug"? Oh ya, because that actually sounds badass lol

hvfsl
Sep 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
In reality of course this existed long before on ios an android. Apple copied just as much

Not at all but of copurse if apple brought out the same it would be 'magic'

Saves a touch or two, isnt tha innovation ?

Yes always very easy push several buttons at once
Smart alert isn't massively useful since you can just see the notifications on screen. The auto calling one is probably the only one which might be nice to see on an iPhone, but then unless it works very well, it will be more annoying than anything else. Swipe to capture screenshots also means you can't use the same swipe in apps, so the Apple way is better.

icechunk
Sep 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
The only reason the Samsung Galaxy even exists is because of the iPhone, otherwise they would still be making large plastic bricks with Stylus'......oh wait they still are :-(

legacyb4
Sep 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
Someone on BI commented "why even bother with a connector at all with wireless charging & connectivity"...

Seems kind of obvious as not everyone has Bluetooth connectivity in their cars and how would you charge your phone in the car on those long drives using GPS apps that do drain down the battery? I don't recall seeing any "wireless charging" features being built into cars just yet...

Tower-Union
Sep 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
Nvm

notabadname
Sep 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
It looks like an over-inflated resumé. There are legit items on that list. But extending the list with software features that have iPhone equivalents in most cases, but implying the iPhone has no way to achieve those functions is lame, and really discredits the add. Smarter consumers simply find such marketing ploys humorous.

newyorksole
Sep 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/2406/geniush.png

k995
Sep 16, 2012, 11:30 AM

Do you know how stupid that makes a tech company sound...why not say "Lighting Plug"? Oh ya, because that actually sounds badass lol
Badass? Sure

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 11:31 AM
You mean this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLOGUQouUI) LG Prada? It's so much like the iPhone! LG and Prada should sue Apple!

I did not even clicked on that link.

When did apple started working on the iPhone?
All those prototypes ARE out the in the wild.

Any original work like the first iPhone take years to make ( unless you copy it like Samsung ), to make right that is. Dragging that argument makes you look like a troll.

k995
Sep 16, 2012, 11:32 AM
Smart alert isn't massively useful since you can just see the notifications on screen. The auto calling one is probably the only one which might be nice to see on an iPhone, but then unless it works very well, it will be more annoying than anything else. Swipe to capture screenshots also means you can't use the same swipe in apps, so the Apple way is better.

My point was actually that every single thing apple can do you can have simular argments, what is great for one is useless for another.

Just buy the phone you like

mulletman13
Sep 16, 2012, 11:33 AM
Guys, while I was doing my own mockup of their ad, I went on their website and noticed something...

Samsung can't even provide the right talk time on their ad. 11.4hrs is pure fiction. Nowhere it's written 11.4hrs. We have 8hrs (AT&T), 8hrs (T-Mo) 9hrs (Sprint) and 17hrs (Verizon). I thought they put the average number and that number is 10.5hrs, not 11.4hrs.

So, where the hell did they got that?

I'm pretty sure they are talking about using it with their 'Extended Battery' that they offer separately. Somewhat misleading.

corinhorn
Sep 16, 2012, 11:33 AM
It's called an ad people, calm down. If you start defending Apple, this ad did what it was supposed to, to piss off Apple fans.I somewhat agree, but I think it is more likely that the ad was meant to piss on Apple. But really, like you said, it's just an ad, meant to promote a product that people don't really need. Every company tries to have better market performance than competitors, and they use ads to help. There is nothing wrong with it.

JB413
Sep 16, 2012, 11:34 AM
Samsung: "We can't come up with anything original... Just steal and complain about the competition"

rei101
Sep 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
Oh... Steve Jobs original ideas?

Ochyandkaren
It looks like an over-inflated resumé. There are legit items on that list. But extending the list with software features that have iPhone equivalents in most cases, but implying the iPhone has no way to achieve those functions is lame, and really discredits the add. Smarter consumers simply find such marketing ploys humorous.

Lame but efficient for the Windows PC minded people, just read most tech reviews on the BBC and The Guardian site.

I expect no less from a company that copies blatantly like Samsung.
Do not forget that crooks DO know their victims very well, at least the most successful crooks.

matttye
Samsung: "We can't come up with anything original... Just steal and complain about the competition"

http://cdn3.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/android-vs-ios-notifications1.jpg

Lawl.

JForestZ34
Shake to update? Seriously?

And I bet if apple had this you'd be praising it all day long saying how a great feature it was... :rolleyes:

I'll say it again. Get which ever phone you like if it works for you. I would rather have a plastic phone so when I dropped it, it didn't shatter. THe iphone looks good but if you drop it and it lands on a corner it's done for.

James

hwrdrrk
Sep 16, 2012, 11:36 AM
3.95 oz. weight sold me. Thanks Samsung for advertising for Apple :o

Lark.Landon
Sep 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
More like

Apple: Sues over anything

Yeah, because Apple has sued *so* many people right?

KPOM
Samsung’s trial with Apple may be ongoing in the US, but the company has scored an early success in its home market of South Korea, where a court has ruled that Apple infringed on two of the company’s patents, The Wall Street Journal reports

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/08/24/samsung-scores-victory-south-korea-court-rules-apple-infringed-patents/

Of course for an american it didnt happen if its outside of the US?

No, we knew about that. The same court also ruled that Samsung violated one of Apple's patents.

I take it from your comment that non-Americans find it fashionable to be anti-American.

CubusX
I've been an Apple fanboy since the first iPhone came out in 2007. Yes, I was late to the party. If I were Samsung, I would be targeting Verizon and Sprint customers more directly instead of every single iPhone user as a whole. iPhone lovers will not change their preference unless certain features are not available on the device (while being available on others), period.

The lack of talk and surf at the same time on the iPhone 5 is making me question getting it. I'm still on the iPhone 4 and that is the one feature I miss (I was an AT&T customer). I switched to Verizon from AT&T after dropping 18 calls in one week. I was really looking forward to this feature and it's still not available on the Verizon iPhone. Yes, it is mainly a CDMA issue but is it is also due to the design of the iPhone. Apple went against allowing certain features on the device for design purposes. Yes, the iPhone is a great device but Apple stopped innovating long ago (my opinion). Basic functions that are or have been on Android devices for years are now making their way to iOS, slowly.

Samsung's Galaxy S III smartphone allows Verizon and Sprint users to talk and surf the web at the same time unlike the iPhone 5. That is the feature Samsung should be selling to its potential Verizon and Sprint customers.

Samsung needs to stop focusing on the entire smartphone user market as a whole and find the appropriate niche.

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 11:39 AM
I somewhat agree, but I think it is more likely that the ad was meant to piss on Apple. But really, like you said, it's just an ad, meant to promote a product that people don't really need. Every company tries to have better market performance than competitors, and they use ads to help. There is nothing wrong with it.

To mislead is NOT wrong?
A poor person doing that i can forgive, NOT a HUGE corporation.

Why would that ad piss Apple?
For most than a decade Apple has been attacked with ads like that! Mainly by other HUGE company - Microsoft.
Not knew at all.

iTalk
Sep 16, 2012, 11:40 AM
Black iPhone 5 vs White S3?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/135/sw50sw8sw578.gif

Ryth
Sep 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
They are not targeting iPhone fanboys. They are targeting regular people who are undecided what to get. That's why they make fun of the fanboy in their ads too.

Um...no.

Do you REALLY THINK that regular people even know what 3/4 of the stuff in that ad even means?

Samsung lists a ton of stuff that is their software without comparing Apple's iOS/applications to those. Those last things aren't even important or better then Apple's equivalent.

Can't wait to see Apple's response. Hopefully, it something to the effect of. iPhone 5: XX million sold in 1 hr. Galaxy SX: XX thousand sold in 1 month. Do the math.

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
And I bet if apple had this you'd be praising it all day long saying how a great feature it was... :rolleyes:

I'll say it again. Get which ever phone you like if it works for you. I would rather have a plastic phone so when I dropped it, it didn't shatter. THe iphone looks good but if you drop it and it lands on a corner it's done for.

James

Aluminium is better for the environment, unless you care NOT for your descendants.
You certainly understood that that is not a relevant feature to throw at Apple.

:)

Ryth
To mislead is NOT wrong?

Why would that ad piss Apple?
For most than a decade Apple has been attacked with ads like that! Mainly by other HUGE company - Microsoft.
Not knew at all.

Yah...tech/spec ads don't matter when your device are engineered to be superior with hardware and software integration. Anytime I see a company quote specs to the average consumer, it means their product is usually inferior.

musser
I've about had it with Samsung. They're pathetic. And, because of this, I'm swearing off ALL Samsung products. Their overly expensive fridge I've recently bought, btw, constantly ices up and, generally, is poorly designed on the interior. So, no more Samsung for me. They can continue to cry like babies and see where it gets them.

Krazy Bill
Apple fanatiscism is really embarrassing sometimes. :( Keep waving those pom-poms for the iPhone monopoly. Let's give the most powerful corporation on the planet even more power.

Yeah, that always works for us consumers in the end.

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
Whilst true, it's a null argument IMO. iPhones get a minimum of two years of decent upgrades. A 3GS, whilst a painful experience for nerds like me and probably you, is still a passably decent phone that is reasonably comparable to modern phones and can probably run (not necessarily that well) lots of apps on the App Store.

Please show me an Android phone from 2009 that can do the same! (Don't factor in via custom roms, we're talking Joe Schmoe here).

I must stress, I'm largely neutral, own a Galaxy Note but would generally prefer iOS. However, I honestly feel in this area, regular upgrades, there is zero argument to be had, iPhones trounce android phones.

You're exactly like me, I have a Note, but generally prefer IOS! To be honest, I am only on the thread to discuss the advert in reality. I don't follow most of arguments that the list is meaningless, i.e. most of the Top 10 Apple mentioned in their own keynote, so clearly important enough for them to highlight. So the remainder is somewhat "pointless", but were there to keep the advert at the forefront of the discussion - certainly succeeded on that score. Most features are "pointless" or "no use" if you have no access to them...rather like the truth is often what people choose to believe, rather than actually the truth. No axe to grind with you; your points on android fragmentation are largely accurate.

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 11:44 AM
Black iPhone 5 vs White S3?

Image (http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/135/sw50sw8sw578.gif)

:confused:: boy that is stupid humor.
Racism from my dictionary.app - the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

sofianito
Sep 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
How much will cost the free-contract unlocked IPhone5? Same or cheaper than Samsung SIII? The price is one of the most important key buying factors...

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 11:46 AM
....and I endorse this ad.

Of course, the President was handed an iPhone the other day to make a call and had trouble with it since he's so used to the BlackBerry. Not cool.

Apple should offer to give whoever the next president is an iPhone 5.

Ryth
Sep 16, 2012, 11:47 AM
Apple fanatiscism is really embarrassing sometimes. :( Keep waving those pom-poms for the iPhone monopoly. Let's give the most powerful corporation on the planet even more power.

1. Apple doesn't have a monopoly. If you were to look at the smartphone share out there, you'd know this. Apple has the superior product and therefore makes the superior profit with hardly any global market share (16.9 percent share). Just imagine how much that share is going to go up in the next 6+ months because of the iPhone 5 and moving into new markets. Apple will probably hit 22-25% .

2. Actually it does work for you the consumer. It makes other businesses that are in the industry (other then Samsung) have to innovate or go out of business, therefore creating better products.

The best thing that came out of the Apple vs Samsung decision is that we are now going to move beyond the iPhone clone era of the last 5 years and maybe get some new things that will push not only these other companies to innovate but Apple also.

VulchR
Sep 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
:confused:: boy that is stupid humor.
Racism from my dictionary.app - the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Glad somebody commented on the tasteless joke. Actually, 'tasteless joke' also applies to the Samsung ad.

corinhorn
Sep 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
To mislead is NOT wrong?

So, poor people are allowed to mislead (lie), but corporations can't? That's a bit absurd.

All advertising is somewhat deceptive. That's been the norm for generations. On the basic level, ads try to convince you that you need a product that you don't really need.

I haven't consumed a TV commercial in years. Plus, since I'm blind, I don't get to see all the stupid annoying ads on the web. It's lovely. But even if I was sighted, I wouldn't give much thought to ads, at least I would hope not. I would like to think that I have self-control

Ryth
Sep 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
How much will cost the free-contract unlocked IPhone5? Same or cheaper than Samsung SIII? The price is one of the most important key buying factors...

Prob same as always $600-$699 for the base.

ani4ani
Samsung must be scared of the iPhone 5 if they are going to this length to advertise the GS3.

Not everything has to be about specs either. It's all about the user experience.

Apple are as guilty as the next re specifications - did you watch the Keynote? Without Mr Jobs on "stage," everything from start to finish was about the new phone specifications! The first slides discuss how thin the new phone was [actually claimed to the world's thinnest, which is isn't], followed by how much brighter the screen was, followed by how long the battery lasted, followed by how quick the new processor was; lighter, 7 times the graphics speed.....and on and on. In fact, very little about the "user experience"

Lets be honest, this is the method for all "tech" companies - Apple are no different.

Ochyandkaren

No, NO!

Hating a company that stands on its shoulders, naked, with its chest bare competing with the world is ignorant and reaches to backing cowards.

Google and Microsoft uses others to fight their fight, their biz strategy detracts competition and real innovation. Because all those companies selling android and windows should have been building their own better things, better than what Apple does, or Google or Microsoft. At leaf try.

Apple monopoly?
That is funny!

Radio
Sep 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
Im a huge apple fan and I think they need to get rid of ios

Apple we aren't stupid

Give us widgets and more multi tasking abilities please

KPOM
Apple making customers visit a "genius bar" every time they want assistance/warranty/technical support with one of their products insults the very intelligence of its customers.

Samsung opened up a store in Australia with a table of "Smart Tutors" who do pretty much the same thing.

solarguy17
Don't forget to tweet with hash tag #TheNextBigThing to talk about how excited you are for your iPhone 5.

Indexserv
Sep 16, 2012, 11:52 AM

What's embarrassing about buying a product that works and works well? If Apple didn't produce quality products, people wouldn't buy them. And they're far from being a monopoly. There are a half-dozen smartphones on the market -- Apple sells well for a reason, and that same reason is why they're the most profitable company on Earth.

If a better product comes along, or if Apple abuses the power they have earned, folks will move on. In the mean time, consumers are sticking with what works, and other companies will do their best to compete -- works very well for consumers.

iphonefan74

Apple we aren't stupid

Apple would tell you to buy an Android phone

SeattleMoose
Samsung is taking the "low road"....yet again.

I hope Apple responds with...nothing except great sale numbers.

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
Apple are as guilty as the next re specifications - did you watch the Keynote? Without Mr Jobs on "stage," everything from start to finish was about the new phone specifications! The first slides discuss how thin the new phone was [actually claimed to the world's thinnest, which is isn't], followed by how much brighter the screen was, followed by how long the battery lasted, followed by how quick the new processor was; lighter, 7 times the graphics speed.....and on and on. In fact, very little about the "user experience"

Lets be honest, this is the method for all "tech" companies - Apple are no different.

Really?

Explaining iPhone 5 changes regarding its predecessor is ignoring user experience at all?
The always hands-on after the show are for WHAT?

Lark.Landon
Sep 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Oh wow. So you went to Google... typed in fanboy... and came up with:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy

...and then you copied it word for word. So you didn't know what fanboy meant, and you quoted another source word-for-word without even citing them? Wow, how... you.

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
It's a fair ad as many companies would make.

I've got my iPhone 5 on pre-order but I can see for the first time that no-one else will be playing catch-up to it. Every other iPhone has been ahead of the pack and left them clamouring to get one up on it, now they don't need to as they're already ahead. If the Android system can keep being refined the phone market is going to be far more competitive from now on.

As with most I'm not that impressed with the 5, it's kinda "meh" but we're into the eco system now so that's why it will be so popular (and why I've ordered one). I just wish Jony Ive hadn't abandoned his principals with the horrible size ratio - it's not golden that's for sure and there's no way he truly thinks that's the best work they've ever done.

Best and most honest comment on the thread thus far

gnasher729
Sep 16, 2012, 11:58 AM

If LG agreed, then they would have sued a long time ago. They haven't. And the reason is not that they can't afford the lawyers, they can. There are two reasonable explanations: 1. LG decided. on advice of experts comparing both phones and their lawyers, that the chances of winning are too small to sue. 2. There is some agreement between LG and Apple.

Either way, going on about this is just totally pointless.

notabadname
Sep 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img834/2406/geniush.png)

Exactly this- great image.

I like that Samsung chose a common weed as their screen image.

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 11:59 AM

Apple we aren't stupid

Multi tasking on a phone?

Like those horrific Hollywood pseudo-ScienceFiction-interfaces-on-glass-display.

:eek:: Taste, you cannot argue about it without sounding fascist.

sofianito
Sep 16, 2012, 12:00 PM

Apple we aren't stupid

I am sure you can identify yourself in these videos... :D

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhjDX-DUew

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTSsB92L_s

shiseiryu1
Sep 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
"It doesn't take a Genius"...which is a good thing because if you buy a Samsung we don't have genius bar or anywhere else for you to go to for help and support.

shyam09
Sep 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
here are some "edits" made by some apple fans who couldn't take the ad...
Courtesy to CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57513782-71/apple-fanboys-fight-back-against-samsung/).

http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/16/Samsung_Ad_Against_the_Genius.jpg
Credit: Ismael Del Toro

http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/16/Real_Samsung_Ad_610x1179.png
(Credit: Josh Cohen)

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
Really?

Explaining iPhone 5 changes regarding its predecessor is ignoring user experience at all?
The always hands-on after the show are for WHAT?

Raw nerve...they did what you describe by spouting technical specifications..that apparently "don't matter" unless Apple use them.

we can agree to disagree. I am not going to lose sleep over your opinion.

Krazy Bill
Sep 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
What's embarrassing about buying a product that works and works well?Nothing. If that product was actually getting cheaper and made better by allowing unfettered competition to work.

Apple sells well for a reason...You misspelled "sues".

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
So, poor people are allowed to mislead (lie), but corporations can't? That's a bit absurd.

All advertising is somewhat deceptive. That's been the norm for generations. On the basic level, ads try to convince you that you need a product that you don't really need.

I haven't consumed a TV commercial in years. Plus, since I'm blind, I don't get to see all the stupid annoying ads on the web. It's lovely. But even if I was sighted, I wouldn't give much thought to ads, at least I would hope not. I would like to think that I have self-control

Ads are work of art.

I can forgive someone who steals for surviving.
I cannot forgive a banker who steals.

Is that absurd?
Why did USA government helped create USA HUGE middle class in the 50´s?
Helping the poor to get better education.

Selling snake oil is not the same as attacking my neighbor house in order to sell mine, it is dishonesty.

Go check some awesome book covers, those are ads, never misleading, the artist may fail, but it is never misleading.

Here is one of my favs among the most seen - http://media.smashingmagazine.com/images/book-covers/book-covers-18.jpg

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/16/Real_Samsung_Ad_610x1179.png
(Credit: Josh Cohen)

Yay a fair comparison!

My only criticism of this is that "auto adjust brightness" is not the same as Smart Stay. Smart Stay causes the screen to stay on while you're looking at it. There is NO comparable iOS feature.

SpectatorHere
You're exactly like me, I have a Note, but generally prefer IOS! To be honest, I am only on the thread to discuss the advert in reality. I don't follow most of arguments that the list is meaningless, i.e. most of the Top 10 Apple mentioned in their own keynote, so clearly important enough for them to highlight. So the remainder is somewhat "pointless", but were there to keep the advert at the forefront of the discussion - certainly succeeded on that score. Most features are "pointless" or "no use" if you have no access to them...rather like the truth is often what people choose to believe, rather than actually the truth. No axe to grind with you; your points on android fragmentation are largely accurate.

Question...how much does the software hold you back using the Note? I'm likely migrating to the Note 2 from iOS, and the software is my concern. I've yet to use an Android device that didn't either suffer from poor performance (stuttering, delayed recognition of touch, crashing) or crappy/unintuitive UI. That said, Android is getting better and I really like the idea of a big screen and a stylus (old fan of Palm Pilots back in the day).

samlikesmac
Why does it have an already outdated version of Android, are no Android devices consistent with their updates? Samsung mentions 11 hour talk time, but not on what technology (i.e. LTE, HSPA+, 3G, EDGE, ect.) Can they just stop already? No one wants to buy your crappy phone when Apple provides high-quality design and reliability that you can't get with anyone else.

shanson27

The AirDrop feature exist since 2010 in OS X, Android copy it

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Raw nerve...they did what you describe by spouting technical specifications..that apparently "don't matter" unless Apple use them.

we can agree to disagree. I am not going to lose sleep over your opinion.

:confused:: Where did i say you will?

Apple never paid much attention to technical specifications, that is a fact.
And you know that.

Design ( the most misunderstood word, a multi disciplinary work actually ) is how things work, not the sum of parts. And you know that!

SpectatorHere
Sep 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
Yay a fair comparison!

My only criticism of this is that "auto adjust brightness" is not the same as Smart Stay. Smart Stay causes the screen to stay on while you're looking at it. There is NO comparable iOS feature.

While I like the size of the S3, the screen seems a little dull, dark, and lacking the viewing angles of an iPhone. I've also heard users complain it eats through a charge far too quickly. Thoughts?

iphonefan74
Sep 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
Why does it have an already outdated version of Android.

Unlike ios, we don't have to wait an entire year for an OS upgrade. Want a new feature for your brand new iPhone? Maybe at the end of 2013 lol

kdarling
Sep 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
Whilst true, it's a null argument IMO. iPhones get a minimum of two years of decent upgrades.

iPhones get numerical upgrades, but they often do not get the actual upgrade features themselves. Android phones might not get numerical OS updates, but they very often can download updated features.

A 3GS, whilst a painful experience for nerds like me and probably you, is still a passably decent phone that is reasonably comparable to modern phones and can probably run (not necessarily that well) lots of apps on the App Store.

You're confusing needing the latest OS with the ability to run most apps. Most Android apps are targeted towards the lowest necessary OS version, just as most iOS apps are. Otherwise a dev might lose customers for no reason.

It's also usually not hard for older Android phones to run most apps, because Android phones have had things like multitasking from the start, voice input almost as long, and so forth.

Please show me an Android phone from 2009 that can do the same! (Don't factor in via custom roms, we're talking Joe Schmoe here).

The 2009 Motorola Droid with 2.2 Froyo runs the latest Maps, Navigation, and even Flipboard. The 2009 Eris (Hero) with 2.1 Eclair (!) does all that except for Flipboard.

-- Summary:

The big difference is that with Android, core apps can be individually updated to take the place of an older app. In other words, you can set a new launcher, dialer, browser, camera, whatever app to be the new default. Major apps are also updated individually.

With iOS, such integral updates require an OS change, which is why users see them as far more important.

noriyori
Sep 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
Well, if you get copied a lot, you need to defend your turf a lot. Plus, it isn't just Apple going after Android. Microsoft has threatened legal action in order to extract some pretty hefty royalties from the likes of HTC and Samsung.

HA! That's rich! I'm a huge apple fan and have been since my IIgs. But right along there in the core of apples being, along with making insanely great products, is their piracy and thievery of technology. Hostile takeovers of companies to acquire their technology is rampant in apples history.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
While I like the size of the S3, the screen seems a little dull, dark, and lacking the viewing angles of an iPhone. I've also heard users complain it eats through a charge far too quickly. Thoughts?

You're correct - the GS3's screen is nowhere near as bright as the iPhone's. I use my phone at less than half brightness and it's fine for me. Only use 100% if I'm out in the sun or driving. Not sure about viewing angles, never understood why it's important if I'm honest as I usually look at screens from the front :p

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
What a way for a technology company to get its word out! Newspapers!?!?!? Great move, Samsung. Try skywriting next time. :confused:

Seems to me a good ploy..pay for cheap newspaper advertising and then get free Internet and TV plugs?

vvs14
Sep 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
Its so childish.. Also notice how they leave the iPhone screen off and the S3 screen on... S3 is a great phone no doubt.. But why expose your insecurities to the world in this way..

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Question...how much does the software hold you back using the Note? I'm likely migrating to the Note 2 from iOS, and the software is my concern. I've yet to use an Android device that didn't either suffer from poor performance (stuttering, delayed recognition of touch, crashing) or crappy/unintuitive UI. That said, Android is getting better and I really like the idea of a big screen and a stylus (old fan of Palm Pilots back in the day).

I am not really qualified to answer in all honesty. I had one key need when I purchased the Note, namely a big internet experience and for that it is perfect. I use some of the office suites etc, but not much beyond. I wanted the internet and the ability to make telephone calls in the main. Some comfort apps, e.g. Flixster, access to my loyalty schemes and that was about it. To emphasise my point, I wanted a Dell Streak and they were sold off before I could get one - that about sums it up.

In terms of the "issues" you describe, maybe because I don't "task" my note much, I have never noticed anything remotely laggy, and it has never crashed..ever?

fiveainone
Sep 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
Audi's done something similar, although in a more classy way:

http://www.mwerks.com/artman2/uploads/1/your_move_BMW.jpg

K4LK
Sep 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img834/2406/geniush.png)

Outstanding :D

ani4ani
Sep 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
Apple has never bashed any of its competitors in public. They even admit in public that some of other's products are excellent (MS Office for OSX) while it is competing with their own products.

It is said that Samsung behaves as a bad looser, a company of that size and standing should know and act better.

I seem to remember when the antenna issue arose of the "4" the keynote seemed to spend the whole time, telling everyone why their competitors antennas were crap too? There not to shabby at dishing it out on Adobe either?

Dogface
Sep 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
Can I emulate the Android operating system on my iPhone? I want to see what it would be like using a Third World phone.

shanson27
Sep 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
Samsung s3 vs iPhone 5

iPhone 5 :)
- Super handy
- 20% thiner
- aluminum unibody
- 112g light
- 20% lighter
- sapphire glass cover
- Cam 20% smaller - with even better picture quality
- Wideband-Audio
- A6 chip 22% smaller
- Global LTE
- All digital connector, 80% smaller
- Faster, better graphics
- More Apps
- iCloud
- itunes Match
- AirPlay
- Siri
- Outstanding new 4 inch display in cell technology, 44 % more colors, much thiner, 326 ppi, integrated touch
- Amazing Design
- 3 microphones

Samsung s3 :confused:

- Not handy
- Plastic unibody
- Too big for your pocket
- Pentile display
- S-voice --- Siri copy
- NFC is not safe
- Viruses
- Gimmick features

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
- NFC is not safe

Elaborate please...

- Gimmick features

Flyover maps anyone? :D

Gary Z
Sep 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
Apple spends billions of dollars in R&D and another company (Samsung) blatantly (as the jury said) copies it and steals their intellectual property. Do you expect Apple not to sue and just roll over and expose their loins and say to Samsung, "Nice rip off. We hope you make billions on your theft". Have you ever worked for a company that stole other people's ideas and were found guilty in court? I'd say you probably work as a greeter at Walmart and not someone who has any business sense.

CubusX
Sep 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
I seem to remember when the antenna issue arose of the "4" the keynote seemed to spend the whole time, telling everyone why their competitors antennas were crap too? There not to shabby at dishing it out on Adobe either?

The whole you're holding wrong and the all cell phones have a simillar loss of signal when the phone is held was ridiculous. I've had a lot of cellphones and never experienced the dropped call totals that I've had with the original iPhone 4 on AT&T.

mrbrown
Sep 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
More like

So inventors shouldn't try to protect their inventions? I'm confused.

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
Samsung s3 vs iPhone 5
- NFC is not safe

NFC is as safe as you want it to be.

For most instances the screen must be unlocked for it to work, and on top of that you can decide entirely if you have to enter a pin-code or not when using it.

When it comes to paying for something (which is just one of the things you can do with NFC) it makes sense for most people to let small charges - for example anything below USD 10 (you can of course set this limit yourself) - to go through without entering a pin-code. This makes it easy for small daily stuff like buying a cup of coffee or swiping it on the train/bus/subway.

Larger sums can be pin-protected if you want if you don't believe that the phone being unlocked is enough protection.

NFC is nothing to scoff at; millions of people in Tokyo use it on a daily basis, and I can only imagine the frustration at the Japanese branch of Apple now since 'all' other phones in that market have had NFC for years...

johncrab
Sep 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
It takes no brains at all to steal.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
It takes no brains at all to steal.

*cough* iOS took Android notifications.

SpectatorHere
Sep 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
The whole you're holding wrong and the all cell phones have a simillar loss of signal when the phone is held was ridiculous. I've had a lot of cellphones and never experienced the dropped call totals that I've had with the original iPhone 4 on AT&T.
For this very reason I suspect the iPhone 5 will have great reception. I also expect it to sip the battery rather efficiently. Another pro for the phone is that the screen (what there is of it) will be best in class for easy reading and viewing.

My big issues with the i5 are:

Smallish screen;

fugly tall and skinny look;

appears fragile...I'm definitely not a fan of thinner, I'd rather have a cheap plastic body that felt nice in the hand (e.g. 3GS);

Google Maps is getting the boot and replaced with something without Streetview;

hard to find stats on individual call times and IMs;

unless email has been improved it still sucks terribly to attach anything;

I'd like more fine-grained control over processes and services being used;

Battery and storage aren't user accessible;

no indicator LEDs available (although you can have the flash do this...kind of);

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
The AirDrop feature exist since 2010 in OS X, Android copy it

How strange. AirDrop was as far as I know introduced with OS X Lion.

And that was not available until summer 2011. (I know, because I upgraded my Mac at work in August that year and tested it out for fun).

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 16, 2012, 01:02 PM
When you aren't number one, you whine. Simple fact, aptly demonstrated here.

NutsNGum
Sep 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
"Turn Over to Mute"?!

/debate.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
When you aren't number one, you whine. Simple fact, aptly demonstrated here.

And by the Mac vs. PC adverts.

ixodes
Sep 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
More like

So True ^^^

Apple launched a vicious attack & had Samsung devices banned.

This ad doesn't damage Apple, even if it did, the damage is so small it's meaningless.

This all could have been avoided if Apple would have kept on innovating. Instead, they chose to let their fear of Samsung cause them to launch a legal assault.

Apples so paranoid they continue to attack. Look at what's happening in Germany. Apples a global warrior bent on destroying any company that dare enter the smartphone & tablet space.

Now anything is fair.

linux2mac
Sep 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
Yet Samsung admits iOS is better (http://www.macworld.co.uk/apple-business/news/?newsid=3380141&pagtype=allchandate). LOL! I'll never buy Samsung's garbage products.

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
HA! That's rich! I'm a huge apple fan and have been since my IIgs. But right along there in the core of apples being, along with making insanely great products, is their piracy and thievery of technology. Hostile takeovers of companies to acquire their technology is rampant in apples history.

Name a "hostile" takeover that Apple has done. The deals to acquire PA Semi, Siri, and the inventor of the multi-touch display were all friendly deals. There's nothing wrong with buying technology from others. It is a quick way of paying the inventor, who may otherwise have no way of profiting from his invention.

that1guyy
Sep 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
*Looks at advertisement and specs*

Hmm that phone on the left looks nice*

*Buys iPhone*

robertk328
Sep 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
Best and most honest comment on the thread thus far

And pretty true as well. If I didn't enjoy Apple products so much and have a ton of apps I paid for (could use them on my iPad I guess but I'd have to uh them on Android again) I'd consider a galaxy or whatever that thing is in the ad. Heck I'm taking a big step for me leading AT&T for VZW! ;)

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
So True ^^^

Apple launched a vicious attack & had Samsung devices banned.

This ad doesn't damage Apple, even if it did, the damage is so small it's meaningless.

This all could have been avoided if Apple would have kept on innovating. Instead, they chose to let their fear of Samsung cause them to launch a legal assault.

Apples so paranoid they continue to attack. Look at what's happening in Germany. Apples a global warrior bent on destroying any company that dare enter the smartphone & tablet space.

Now anything is fair.

Apple did keep on innovating. However, they didn't want a repeat of what happened with Windows, when a johnny-come-lately came, and, in their opinion, copied their innovations rather than develop their own. So far, Apple has done a better job in court this time around than against Microsoft in the 1980s, partly because they didn't have John Sculley around signing away their IP for a song.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
Yet Samsung admits iOS is better (http://www.macworld.co.uk/apple-business/news/?newsid=3380141&pagtype=allchandate). LOL! I'll never buy Samsung's garbage products.

They said that iOS' implementation of multi-touch is better, and they said it during a court case where their products are potentially going to be recalled/banned.

Keep reading between the lines to suit your agenda though.

dokujaryu
Sep 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
All of this is so stupid. I am so ****ing sick of going to Best Buy or Verizon and having to hear some techno raged zealot employee screaming at some poor lady about how her choice of the iPhone is retarded because you can steal apps, music, and movies on Android.

I've used both, and the S3 is probably the best android I have used, but not by much. Compared to the HTC One X, I missed the screen on the One X and HTC's widgets. The S3 had a better camera, looked better, had a better phone system, and a home button. I used both for a month.

Both were enormous, a pain to use, with terrible software, terrible apps that barely worked with their enormous screens, and god awful battery life where the only option is to turn off all these whizbang features just so you can get through a day on a charge. And before you start bitching about how LTE drains the battery, I didn't have LTE, both were HSPA+.

Maybe I'm an edge case, and the vast majority of Android users have no complaints. Maybe people like spending days upon days customizing their homescreen with endless hastily written and barely working mods. Like it's your World of Warcraft UI or something. These facts, if true, is wholly irrelevant to me. The iPhone is the proper smartphone for this user. And after almost 3 months of trying Android, I have no doubts I won't be using any Android for many years. For me, I put Apple at least 3 to 5 years ahead of Android and I say that because I would rather use an iPhone 3GS than any of the flagship phones this year. That's me, not the universe, not everyone in America, ME. I'm not willing to sacrifice the user experience I want for a spec sheet.

I also think a lot of people really need to take a second look about what they are really fighting about. If you trollin' fine, whatever makes you giggle. But the people that actually believe the ******** they post here? You look at Apple users with disdain like they are sheep? Get over yourself. You aren't a special snowflake who can see through the lies and with your blinding intellect to analyze every technical detail to ascertain which phone is better than all other phones. No one needs to hear your diatribe about why your choice is superior. You are just making yourself look sad and annoying. Like a toolbag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFkBomr0Pc8

Battlefield Fan
Sep 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
At this point I refuse to buy any samsung product. TV etc.

penajmz
Sep 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
How lame of Samsung. Makes me dislike them even more. The S3 is actually a good phone so let it speak for itself. But when you are threatened you attack. Oh well, the iPhone will actually sell more because of this publicity.

ani4ani
And pretty true as well. If I didn't enjoy Apple products so much and have a ton of apps I paid for (could use them on my iPad I guess but I'd have to uh them on Android again) I'd consider a galaxy or whatever that thing is in the ad. Heck I'm taking a big step for me leading AT&T for VZW! ;)

Exactly where I am also....holding out to see if a real Windows Tablet and iTunes could allow me to keep a foot in both camps. I have found with Android that a lot of my most used IOS apps are free [as they are in IOS] or minimal cost in the grand scheme of things. It is the money spent on media that hurts the most, so another platform that has iTunes is my only real hope, hence the interest in W8 Tablets....although an iPad Mini is also very likely to keep in the Apple ecosystem for a while yet.

Shade12
Looks like an angry 12-year-old made that ad. I love the end of the Galaxy list. They could've put anything and it would've sounded equally stupid.

Galaxy SIII:

Purple
Monkey
Bananas

THE NEXT BIG THING IS ALREADY HERE!

why the galaxy is better ?

SirDaav
Sep 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
Vote and share this -> http://9gag.com/gag/5381583

Image (https://img.skitch.com/20120916-p9i3jxtie3k7shq4y7u4itm592.jpg)

I do think Samsung cheapens their own brand here - as well as play fire with their largest commercial customer, over 30 billion a year.

It's obvious to most the ad is one sided, but just like their ads with the line ups of people waiting for last iphone, while samsungs were readily had, just didn't work... Nor did their advertising 2 years ago on specs, a phone is about a lot more than 18 cored processors. Samsung is going back to that.

I am in the Apple camp, but I am no fan boy. On balance between the two warring sides though, it does look like Samsung should take a breather and rest before this retaliation - they are playing with fire - it could turn a lot of people off...

Would be interesting if apple got lots of customers to say how bad their samsungs are - after all, it has a low satisfaction rating with buyers, lower than Moto and HTC...

gnasher729

As a principle, vague, unspecific accusations of wrongdoing cannot be left unchallenged.

So: What specific examples do you have of Apple committing acts of piracy?
What specific examples do you have of Apple committing acts of thievery of technology?
What specific examples do you have of hostile takeovers of companies?

On the other hand, Samsung has been convicted of price fixing in January, March and July 2012, as well as November and December 2011. People complain about Apple suing Samsung for patent infringement, when Samsung has sued among others Panasonic, Renesas, Polaroid, Westinghouse and Alba. (Finding more causes using Google is difficult since "Samsung" and "patent" brings 99% cases where Samsung sues Apple and vice versa).

ben182tx
i dont know if anyone has mentioned, but the average consumer doesn't and wont give a crap about half of what Samsung listed in their ad....no one knows or cares about half of their techno-babble.

linux2mac
Sep 16, 2012, 01:24 PM
I hear this all the time about Android.

Android Is Truly, Truly Terrible (http://www.cultofmac.com/190786/why-the-iphone-5-will-be-my-first-iphone-opinion/#dZZdfzhgwq0cDwWh.99)

"The hardware is laggy, the thing sometimes doesn’t even work as a phone, and the Samsung interface is confusing."

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 01:24 PM

"Lightning" just sounds cheesy, but it is way better than micro USB. Also, what's wrong with having a different port than a USB standard? They give you a Lightning to USB adaptor anyway, and music docks don't take micro USB.

tito2020
Sep 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
All this negative ads will make make android system number 1 by learning from these companies

12dylan34
Sep 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
I think that the "turn over to mute," etc. that Samsung is touting is sort of just a list of gimmicks. I guess it's cool to say that you have, but all of those features really have limited usefulness. I guess Apple could cram 500 pony trick features into the iPhone, but I think that they sort of just stick to what's actually useful every day.

inlovewithi
Sep 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

It seems effective for people who like to compare specs, but they would have done that anyway. Not as effective for people who have an emotional attachment to a brand, so don't really care about specs.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
This reminds me of Microsoft's anti-Mac advertising. "The Mac mouse works differently, and Macs don't have Microsoft Windows Snap."

Even funnier: "Thinking about getting a non-Mac just for Internet Explorer." I think we can all agree that IE is trash. Also, what if you get a Linux PC? That's a non-Mac that can't run IE. Macs can actually run IE natively, but it's IE 5 or something.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
I hear this all the time about Android.

Android Is Truly, Truly Terrible (http://www.cultofmac.com/190786/why-the-iphone-5-will-be-my-first-iphone-opinion/#dZZdfzhgwq0cDwWh.99)

"The hardware is laggy, the thing sometimes doesn’t even work as a phone, and the Samsung interface is confusing."

Cult of Mac, where else would you go for an unbiased Android review? :)

Edit:

Also, that article is comparing a Galaxy Y (low end phone) to an iPhone (high end phone). Completely inappropriate.

Arumik
Sep 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering......

suffering it is, you choose.....
pay.... the billion dollars fine.... you must.... sammy

Stupid ad....you made... it is

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
It seems effective for people who like to compare specs, but they would have done that anyway. Not as effective for people who have an emotional attachment to a brand, so don't really care about specs.

If by "emotional attachment" you mean "better OS", then sure. I doubt many people care about phone specs in the least bit since you're just using it for web browsing and some small apps.

----------

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering......

suffering it is, you choose.....
pay.... the billion dollars fine.... you must.... sammy

Stupid ad....you made... it is

Why are there so many "newbie" accounts here that were created just for this thread that all follow the format of "text , text ................. text..... text"?

the8thark
Sep 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
Over 1000 comments here about Samsung being a troll and trying to lure customers away from Apple with lies and misinformation. Seems Samsung has won here, because people are talking it a lot.

SirDaav
Sep 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
At this point I refuse to buy any samsung product. TV etc.

Given this tho, yeah I think they are getting pretty crappy.

If they cannot let their phone sell on its own merits - i think they just made it a target for an injunction....

Would be funny now if apple gets one!

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
Over 1000 comments here about Samsung being a troll and trying to lure customers away from Apple with lies and misinformation. Seems Samsung has won here, people are talking it a lot.

Exactly what they were aiming for :p

They didn't expect all of the die hard iOS fans to buy GS3s :p

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 01:34 PM
Over 1000 comments here about Samsung being a troll and trying to lure customers away from Apple with lies and misinformation. Seems Samsung has won here, because people are talking it a lot.

No doubt about that - this campaign is a huge success even before anyone has actually seen it in print. They most likely banked on it going viral when they made it - and now it is 'everywhere'. Great move :)

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 01:34 PM

The ad doesn't lie, but it just leaves out a lot of key features of iOS. It's like those Hyundai ads that say that the Genesis has the same kind of paint as a $100K Mercedes (and the same exact front design, which they don't mention in words).

Tartarus
Sep 16, 2012, 01:35 PM
lol that made me laugh

"apple: A totally different connector"

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
Given this tho, yeah I think they are getting pretty crappy.

If they cannot let their phone sell on its own merits - i think they just made it a target for an injunction....

Would be funny now if apple gets one!

New Samsung TVs are good, but my cousins have older ones from 2007. Those are terrible TVs.

koeglerl
Sep 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
The iPhone 5 looks better than the S3 even when it's switched off... :D

lucas107
Sep 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
doesn't help you in a movie theater - unless you flip yourself to mute the phone ;)
get shush from the play store. when you volume down to silent you get a timer for how long to keep it silent. nice free app for avid movie goers.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
Man, you Apple guys are angry! What's the big deal? I'm looking at my 4S and all I'm seeing is a phone. Are you guys THAT into "phones"? Lol!

chumawumba
Sep 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
Funny how they dont shows the iPhone 5's screen turned on, yet the Galaxy's Screen is.

Not Bill Gates
Sep 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
They should add this to the bottom:

Image (http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/trollface-problem.jpg)

I can see what Samsung is trying to do (steal customers from the iPhone) but I'm not convinced it will work.

Steal them? Or provide other options? There is nothing wrong with a person who doesn't want an iPhone.:rolleyes:

Aidan5806
Sep 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
EDIT: Several folks have reminded me about the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" commercials, which I genuinely forgot about. In that case, I still think the theory holds. Apple had/has ground to gain in the desktop computer market. But in the phone/tablet/Post-PC era, Apple doesn't need to stoop to this level.

While I think the Mac vs PCM ads were great and did make PCM come off as worse than Mac, jobs said himself that Mac was really the bad guy in those ads an Pc was just a victim. In other words those ads were meant to make apple look good but not to make PCM look bad. This on the other hand is just pathetic. And all it really does is point out samsungs weakness, and the gimmicks and bloat ware Samsung jams in a device that you could get an app for on iOS if you really wanted to have similar functionality. And to top it off, the s3 isn't really a very good phone, it has a lot of problems to say the least.

Edit: wherever it says PCM, it's supposed to say pc. Thanks autocorrect

arvacker
Sep 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
According to Samsung's logic, nobody should buy a Porsche 911, because a Ford Mustang GT has more horsepower, therefore the Mustang GT must be way better, right Samsung?

An oversized subwoofer in a lowrider car gets much louder than my Bang & Olufsen stereo, therefore that car's audio sounds much better, right Samsung?

Sorry Samsung...it's 2012 and people don't buy products based on specs alone anymore.

AFAICT, the only meaningful difference between the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy 3s is the screen. And those huge screens don't fit in your pocket as well as an iPhone does. Not to mention the ginormous Android screens are really easy to crack due to sheer size. Going by personal experience, several of my friends have cracked their giant Android screens but only one friend has cracked an iPhone screen.

This.

winston1236
Sep 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
regardless of my personal feelings about iphone vs galaxy this ad is pretty hilarious.

johnnyinternets
Sep 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
After reading all of this thread, i can safely say that Samsungs advertising campaign was a 100% success.

johncarync
Sep 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
http://www.subarusvx.com/DeservesRequires.jpg

Krazy Bill
Sep 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
On the other hand, Samsung has been convicted of price fixing...<cough>Apple<cough>E-Book<cough>price-fixing.<cough>Department of Justice.

Keep Apple high and mighty. Let them continue to choke off and tie up supplier channels. Yep, good for everybody (especially us lowly consumers).

You guys crack me up. :D

LoloBond
Sep 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
There is 1 thing I agree with Samsung... It doesn't take a Genius.. to return my Galaxy 3 within 14 days and go back to my iPhone 3 and wait for the iPhone 5. suck it Samsung!

corinhorn
Sep 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Man, you Apple guys are angry! What's the big deal? I'm looking at my 4S and all I'm seeing is a phone. Are you guys THAT into "phones"? Lol!Apple is a religion to many. I have a friend who tries to convert everyone who will listen. I prefer most Apple products, but I don't give a crap if others prefer something else, nor do I push my technology philosophy on others.

Lark.Landon
Sep 16, 2012, 01:59 PM
LOL, Apple fanboys don't even care about the facts anymore.
Samsung sold since last May (4 months) more than 20 million Galaxy 3 units:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2012/09/123_119242.html

So apple sold in one week 20 million devices? Please inform me.

The korean girls on that page are hot though.

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
Did you look at my signature? If you did you'd see that I have an S3 running Jelly Bean :p

Scrolling is every bit as smooth as on my iPad 2.

Going to need to disagree. I don't see it. :apple:

itjw
It doesn't take a genius to see:

SGS3: Butt Ugly Plastiphone
iPhone 5: Not a Butt Ugly Plastiphone

Yes it's vain. Most things in life are. Even if you cede that the sgs3 does more crap, it's still just lipstick on a pig. I feel that everything "extra" is likely useless to me anyway.

Anyway, I like having the nicer looking things in life. Sometimes it doesn't even involve sacrifices. My car doesn't tow 10000 pounds, but I don't need it to. It also doesn't seat 8. Ask me if I care?

Phones are personal preference. Even still, you can dress up the ugly girl all you want with "features", it won't make me want it.

If it wasn't made of plastic and didn't feel like it, then we could talk UX. Until then I have no reason to even start looking elsewhere.

If you did a "which phone is better built/feels more "premium"" comparison between the iPhone and the entire Android lineup SGS3 included, it would be no contest. Apple knows that counts. Samsung doesn't .

Vain? Yep. But last I checked, the pretty girls in reality usually get preferential treatment. People hate that I'm right, but the SGS3 in my mind is the equivalent of the pretty girls ugly cousin (who's a bit portly, but might know a few more useless facts and have a bit more "storage space")...

Yippee!

Chadillacc
More like

Love Samsung fanboys. They broke some major patent laws that is why they owe $1 billion. Not like apple is losing these major patent fights. When you make something revolutionary and it gets completely stolen and turned into a plastic toy let me know, I bet you would sue too. Btw I've given the s2 and s3 a shot. Both got returned for being so crappy. Granted its androids slow choppy OS that is responsible for that but the screen is garbage too not even close to the retina resolution and has all kinds of light leakage just showing the cheap junk they put out and android fan clubbers buy then migrate to macrumors to talk about how jealous they are that they got locked in for 2 more years and can't get an iPhone 5. Honestly more android fan clubbers on here than apple these days. Anyways for someone who's given 2 android phones and 1 tablet a chance, I will never again make those mistakes. iOS is far superior to Android and the amazing design and quality of the iPhone is years ahead of any android phone.

(did I mention the s3 had a crooked home button that kept getting stuck, REALLY good job with the design.)

Also is it not obvious to everyone here that samsung is extremely worried about the iPhone 5? They are putting an iPhone in all their new ads which is almost just a pathetic feeling for them. Apple will make some badass commericals about their device and iOS and sell more iphone 5s the first quarter than s3's the entire year. I don't think apple minds free advertising at all the s3 looks like my pocket pc from 2001 compared to the awesome as hell new iPhone. They should be worried they never could get close to competing with apple (unless it's the last quarter of an old device compared to their brand new device, "WOO WE DID IT FOR ONE QUARTER TEAM") but also gave them $1 billion for using their designs to sell our products... Not much of a win. Samsung has been unable to successfully sell the number of s3s they wanted, the new nexus phone I'm sure will get announced in like a day and be the new cool thing that they will lose more money on, and then they gave apple $1 billion dollars... I'm sure they are a really solid company now. Keep apple happy because if they quit letting you make some of their hardware you might go under.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
Steal them? Or provide other options? There is nothing wrong with a person who doesn't want an iPhone.:rolleyes:

I agree, but a person who doesn't want an iPhone wouldn't need to see a list of iPhone features compared with GS3 features. They're going for iPhone customers here.

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
<cough>Apple<cough>E-Book<cough>price-fixing.<cough>Department of Justice.

Keep Apple high and mighty. Let them continue to choke off and tie up supplier channels. Yep, good for everybody (especially us lowly consumers).

You guys crack me up. :D

Bill, your Krazy. :apple:

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 02:03 PM

Same question... Have you used a GS3 with Jelly Bean? :p

Beezzy
Sep 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
Who cares. The iPhone is gonna outsell the S3 buy the end of October.

Glideslope
I agree, but a person who doesn't want an iPhone wouldn't need to see a list of iPhone features compared with GS3 features. They're going for iPhone customers here.

Their looking for more revenue to pay the fine to Apple in Jan. :cool:

Jynto
In the interest of balance and neutrality, I've created the final version of this table to show how pointless this fanboy war really is.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h366/Jynto/BattleoftheSmartphones_.jpg

I tried to find more features for the iPhone, so I found they came out roughly equal. I also added metric conversions to the measurements, and removed all mentions of 'HD' from both. I took away minor features like 'tilt to zoom' from the Galaxy, because I'm sure the iPhone has plenty of those too. I also included the most important (to some people) feature. And yes, you can play Angry Birds on both.

Feel free to share this around the internet.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 02:07 PM

Jelly Bean is a joke. Still choppy as hell and still has the same flaws as old versions. "Hey fan clubbers jelly bean is faster and smoother..." go use it and tell me how big of a lie that is. iOS is fast and smooth, jelly bean is like iOS 4 on an iPhone 3G. Grats.

sofianito
Sep 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Nobody here seems worried by apple's iphone5 prices... The free unlocked 64gb will probably cost almost the same as a MBA... :eek:

johnnyrb
Sep 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Who wants a phone that may or may not be supported by the manufacturer, Google or the phone company?

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
Jelly Bean is a joke. Still choppy as hell and still has the same flaws as old versions. "Hey fan clubbers jelly bean is faster and smoother..." go use it and tell me how big of a lie that is. iOS is fast and smooth, jelly bean is like iOS 4 on an iPhone 3G. Grats.

You are just making yourself sound like a fool. We all have access to a million YouTube videos that prove you wrong. I suggest taking your propaganda to a non digital format.

NumberNine
Sep 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
Apple is a religion to many. I have a friend who tries to convert everyone who will listen. I prefer most Apple products, but I don't give a crap if others prefer something else, nor do I push my technology philosophy on others.

It's beyond a religion...its a borderline cult at this point
very disturbing...its obvious some people here are severely unhinged

this ad raised the ire of many Apple devotees and I think its wonderful

iSteve-O
Sep 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
A Samsung ad points out the iPhone's weaknesses and everyone goes apesh*t. I never understood why people are so passionate about their phones. It's so bizarre.

MrVinney96
Sep 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/k4CBF.jpg)

One significant feature of the iPhone 5 is missing here, it would blow at least 75% of those Samsung features (or gestures, if you like) away. iPhone has 720p front facing camera, just like the SIII but Samsung forgot to mention it. And also video calling over 3G.

But hey, it's ******** Samsung we're talking about, so...

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
You are just making yourself sound like a fool. We all have access to a million YouTube videos that prove you wrong. I suggest taking your propaganda to a non digital format.

Lol. Just because a video loads just as fast or what ever you wanna compare on youtube go use an iPad for a month then use a Nexus 7 and tell me jelly bean isn't choppy. Take your never used an iOS device knowledge back to the YouTube page and watch your one sided fan clubber videos. I wanted android to be good, it's not. End of story.

jstrahan73
Sep 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
I've been an Apple fanboy since the first iPhone came out in 2007. Yes, I was late to the party. If I were Samsung, I would be targeting Verizon and Sprint customers more directly instead of every single iPhone user as a whole. iPhone lovers will not change their preference unless certain features are not available on the device (while being available on others), period.

The lack of talk and surf at the same time on the iPhone 5 is making me question getting it. I'm still on the iPhone 4 and that is the one feature I miss (I was an AT&T customer). I switched to Verizon from AT&T after dropping 18 calls in one week. I was really looking forward to this feature and it's still not available on the Verizon iPhone. Yes, it is mainly a CDMA issue but is it is also due to the design of the iPhone. Apple went against allowing certain features on the device for design purposes. Yes, the iPhone is a great device but Apple stopped innovating long ago (my opinion). Basic functions that are or have been on Android devices for years are now making their way to iOS, slowly.

Samsung's Galaxy S III smartphone allows Verizon and Sprint users to talk and surf the web at the same time unlike the iPhone 5. That is the feature Samsung should be selling to its potential Verizon and Sprint customers.

Samsung needs to stop focusing on the entire smartphone user market as a whole and find the appropriate niche.

im in the same boat. switch to verizon after being with att for 15 years but the last year i saw full siginal in the middle of town and nothing happening and after calling att several times over the past year i switched to verizon. i got the gs3 to use while waiting for ip5 and the only thing im not happy with is the voice/data issue which i think is more of an agreement att made with apple if truth be known. im cant see why apple wouldnt include an extra antenna even if it added weight or size, i mean how much more could it had added

GorgonPhone
Sep 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
It's all true though.

yup technically the iPhone is never the top dig but in complete package and smoother reliable performance iPhone always wins...

----------

S3 is the best phone for apple haters...

Chrisg2014
Sep 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
Samsung is so petty.

Apple has plenty of features that Samsung/Google don't mention in that ad, such as iCloud, which is FAR more integrated and reliable than Google.

Plus, "tilt to zoom", are you kidding me?

******** ad, and it shouldn't take a genius to realize that :rolleyes:

So your only defense is iCloud... really? Come on. Anything else? G-mail is very reliable, thank you very much and does the same things iCloud can do. Except "Find my iPhone" but that's because they don't have iPhones LOL (Oh by the way, I have an iPhone but I'm going to switch to Android)

This Ad literally made my day. I'm sorry to all out there offended but Apple did the exact same thing with the Mac vs Pc Ads they ran a long time ago. Calm your horses y'all.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hard to be that offended when it's a newspaper ad....... Samsung gave up so much money they can't afford a real ad spot? Haha we are probably amongst the select few to even see this... Elderly people who still get the paper probably really pay attention to that ad.

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
And also video calling over 3G.

I know that the cell providers in the US have a strong grip over what they allow on their networks but video calling using the cell network has been available for years and years in most other parts of the world.

Sony Ericsson and Nokia had these features in their phones as far back as 2006, which is why a feature like facetime (even now that it works over 3G - when Apple released it and said it was a wi-fi-feature only I was truly amazed at how that limited the use) gets deservedly no to little attention at all in markets outside the US. Why? Because video calling on a cell phone is in reality old news indeed.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 02:21 PM
So your only defense is iCloud... really? Come on. Anything else? G-mail is very reliable, thank you very much and does the same things iCloud can do. Except "Find my iPhone" but that's because they don't have iPhones LOL (Oh by the way, I have an iPhone but I'm going to switch to Android)

This Ad literally made my day. I'm sorry to all out there offended but Apple did the exact same thing with the Mac vs Pc Ads they ran a long time ago. Calm your horses y'all.

Hard to be that offended when it's a newspaper ad....... Samsung gave up so much money they can't afford a real ad spot? Haha we are probably amongst the select few to even see this... Elderly people who still get the paper probably really pay attention to that ad.

matttye
Their looking for more revenue to pay the fine to Apple in Jan. :cool:

Probably :p They deserved everything they got with that fine. They've blatantly copied the iPhone in a number of ways.

PS. Have you used an S3 with Jelly Bean?

Have you used it on the S3? It's just as smooth as my iPad on my S3. The version I'm using is a Jelly Bean leak too, not even the stable version, so it might get a little smoother yet.

Alx9876
Apple fanboys fight back against Samsung

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57513782-71/apple-fanboys-fight-back-against-samsung/

nonamelive
Sep 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
SAMSUNG is so ridiculous.

tdhurst
Sep 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
Samsung needs to compare themselves to other android devices, not the iPhone, because most iPhone owners don't give a *****.

Even the iPhone loving geeks don't give a flying crap about how many processors it has or the expandable memory.

Kills me that other companies think these ads are good ideas.

corinhorn
I'm sorry to all out there offended Why would anyone be offended by a damn ad? It's an ad. Is their skin so thin that they get deeply offended if they see an ad for a device they choose not to buy?

johnnyinternets

Really? I think you'll find it's all over the internet. Even on Apple specific sites :eek:

jstrahan73
prob same as always $600-$699 for the base.

$649
$749
$849

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 02:26 PM

Yes, Matt. I do not agree that it is as smooth as iOS 5 on a 4S or a 4 for that matter. It is much improved over 4.0. Google simply does not have the hardware/software integration of the iPhone. It's that simple. ;)

linkgx1
Sep 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Samsung shoulda instead said.....THEY BOTH HAVE RAM MADE FROM SAMSUNG.:p

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, Matt. I do not agree that it is as smooth as iOS 5 on a 4S or a 4 for that matter. It is much improved over 4.0. Google simply does not have the hardware/software integration of the iPhone. It's that simple. ;)

Agree to disagree then :p Seems as smooth as my iPad 2 to me (not surprising given the superior processor in the S3).

Glideslope
Sep 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
Really? I think you'll find it's all over the internet. Even on Apple specific sites :eek:

What is it will all you guys from England? Always bashing Apple? ;)

p.s. How's the decision going to let Scotland become Independent? :eek:

alfistas
Sep 16, 2012, 02:29 PM
Who cares about a stupid ad??

People should make their own market research and purchase what they concider best for them.

ixodes
Sep 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
All of this is so stupid. I am so ****ing sick of going to Best Buy

The best solution of all is simple. Stop going to Best Buy.

It's as simple as that.

Aidan5806
Sep 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sales doesn't automatically make it a better phone.

If that was the case, the Ford Fiesta is the best car in the world.

True but it would make for a more legitimate argument than this ad would. This is just pathetic.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 02:31 PM

You are lying to yourself if you think scrolling is as smooth and perfect to the touch.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 02:32 PM

Apple isn't as popular here as the US. It's not their home soil, so hardly surprising.

Belly-laughs
Sep 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
cool! that new black phone is lighter, smaller and nippier… yeah, i remember how big phones used to be, good to see technology is evolving.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
Agree to disagree then :p Seems as smooth as my iPad 2 to me (not surprising given the superior processor in the S3).

Android has been bottlenecking android devices hardware since day 1. Means very little to have a quad core.

johnnyinternets
Sep 16, 2012, 02:35 PM

I'm not bashing Apple at all. In fact, i've owned nothing but iPhones from the first gen, through to 5 (soon!!).
I'm just amused at how many feathers have been ruffled over an advert.:)

corinhorn
Sep 16, 2012, 02:36 PM
True but it would make for a more legitimate argument than this ad would. This is just pathetic.The purpose of an ad isn't to make a reasoned logical argument, it is meant to persuade you to purchase a service or good that you don't need. Ads are inherently deceptive.

abthegreat
Sep 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
Exactly currently using a GNex JB AOKP and also a iPad3. The usability is much greater on iOS vs Android and donno how samsung rates battery so high. Right now top out at only 3hrs screen time no wifi/low 3g usage and powersaver tweaks. Just went to get back on the iphone camp.
Lol. Just because a video loads just as fast or what ever you wanna compare on youtube go use an iPad for a month then use a Nexus 7 and tell me jelly bean isn't choppy. Take your never used an iOS device knowledge back to the YouTube page and watch your one sided fan clubber videos. I wanted android to be good, it's not. End of story.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 02:37 PM

The only people to see this ad are people on here. Who gets a news paper. Samsung is too poor for Sunday football TV time.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
Android has been bottlenecking android devices hardware since day 1. Means very little to have a quad core.

I bet you haven't even used the S3 with Jelly Bean. Until you have, please don't comment. I'm comparing two devices that I have in front of me right now.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 02:38 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/pajaduja.jpg

fprat
Sep 16, 2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah, when you have only 100,000 devices in stock, you would be sold out in couple of hours; but if you'd make 1,000,000 devices on the first day (I'm just throwing the numbers as an example), it would take you longer to be sold out. Try to read about supply and demand and techniques in marketing, every company is doing it - some are more than others.

Samsung typically includes phones in the sales channel in their sales numbers (i.e., unsold phones at Best Buy and AT&T). I would expect this makes up a good portion of the 20M number.

There is no way there are only 100,000 devices in inventory for the launch given the iphone 4S sales numbers and the lag of availability experienced then. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announced on September 21 that they have sold 6-8M phones across all the countries in the launch. That would be a huge number (up to $5B in revenue in a two week period). Fanboy frenzies aside, that makes any comparison with Samsung look like a joke.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
I'm not bashing Apple at all. In fact, i've owned nothing but iPhones from the first gen, through to 5 (soon!!).
I'm just amused at how many feathers have been ruffled over an advert.:)

I just don't like it when companies put out dumb ads like those in general. Samsung, Hyundai, and Microsoft do it. I'm not really upset over this, but it just shows a lot of silliness in Samsung.

I'm just glad it's not spammed all over TV like Ross ads. Sorry, Ross, I never forgave you for that broken GameCube controller you sold me :D

rom3oOSX
Sep 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
Whats funny is that even when all the add says is true it doesnt say why i dont like the iphone and why i prefer the galaxy. First you dont need to go to a computer to organize your music and videos using itunes. just to set a custom ringtone in the iphone is a pain, for more that 4 years the same boring ios look with apps that moves from left to right, now you gonna get turn by turn navegation, 4g lte and send files with the mail app but for how long we saw those features in other mobile os?. can you share a song from your music player via email, dropbox or any other way?, in the iphone you cant, cant add more memory, cant even leave an space between two apps in the screen, ios got the notification center when android already have had it for years, so whos copying who? if you like the iphone fine thats your choice but dont say it is the best phone when phones like the galaxy s 3 can beat the iphone in features and usability... really guys it doesn't take a genius...

IamRob
Sep 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
They already had to fork over $1.8 billion, why waste money printing an ad that will not help them? umadsamsung?

DanteMann
Sep 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
Gotta love all the fan kiddies who think they know how to run an ad agency or a corporation. The only thing you've proven is you know how to run your mouth. good on ya though, hope all is better after your little tantrum about the ad.
You see, this thread has over 1000 responses and more importantly over 91,000 views. I'd say Misssion Accomplished for Sammy. ;)

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
The only people to see this ad are people on here. Who gets a news paper. Samsung is too poor for Sunday football TV time.

Samsung isn't poor. I'm wondering why they put it in a newspaper. It seems like this ad would be most effective on consumers who think they're "power users" and who don't know what any of those features/specs are, the people who like open-source stuff because it's hackable, yet they don't know how to modify it at all.

It reminds of people who say that Windows is more moddable. Two guys at my school said this. My friend (a huge Google fan and Mac user who used to use Windows) pointed out that all of the system files in Mac OS are much more easily accessible. He did modify his OS, and he doesn't even know much about computers. The Windows users had never modded anything in their lives.

corinhorn
Sep 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
gotta love all the fan kiddies who think they know how to run an ad agency or a corporation. The only thing you've proven is you know how to run your mouth. Good on ya though, hope all is better after your little tantrum about the ad.
You see, this thread has over 1000 responses and more importantly over 91,000 views. I'd say misssion accomplished for sammy. ;)+1

ChazUK
Sep 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
You see, this thread has over 1000 responses and more importantly over 91,000 views. I'd say Misssion Accomplished for Sammy. ;)

Everyone got Samsung'd! :D

johnnyinternets
Sep 16, 2012, 02:49 PM
I just don't like it when companies put out dumb ads like those in general. Samsung, Hyundai, and Microsoft do it. I'm not really upset over this, but it just shows a lot of silliness in Samsung.

I'm just glad it's not spammed all over TV like Ross ads. Sorry, Ross, I never forgave you for that broken GameCube controller you sold me :D

That's fair enough, but i can't help but think that Samsungs marketing department will be over the moon after all this. They paid to put the ad in a few newspapers, and look at the attention it's got. They've just saved a small fortune in advertising fees. I'd hate to think what it would have cost to put the ad on every website that's talking about it right now.

Also, the comedy value of the arguments is priceless :D

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Gotta love all the fan kiddies who think they know how to run an ad agency or a corporation. The only thing you've proven is you know how to run your mouth. good on ya though, hope all is better after your little tantrum about the ad.

Samsung did a great job of showing their ad to 91,000 people who can all see through the ad. This would be way more effective on TV, but I still doubt it would do much. I think everyone already knows about iCloud and the other iOS features.

----------

That's fair enough, but i can't help but think that Samsungs marketing department will be over the moon after all this. They paid to put the ad in a few newspapers, and look at the attention it's got. They've just saved a small fortune in advertising fees. I'd hate to think what it would have cost to put the ad on every website that's talking about it right now.

Also, the comedy value of the arguments is priceless :D

It's entertaining for us, but I don't think this is the kind of group Samsung is targeting with such a weak ad. We all know that the Samsung ads and Apple ads are meaningless, and this is a laughable ad. And we all already recognize the Samsung name and the S3.

txhchman
I started off with the iPhone 3g went to the iPhone 4s. I've been thinking about the Galaxy s3. Just for grins my wife and I were in a Wal-mart, yeah I know Wal-mart. Small town we live near it has the only pharmacy for close to 20 miles, anyhow they had the S3 there and went and looked at it. Looked nice but it just felt cheap. Yes it probably does more or just as much as an IPhone but the fit and finish just wasn't there. Just like cars a Kia can get you from point A to point B. A Lexus does the same thing, cost more too, but the fit and finish of the Lexus is a heck of alot better than the Kia. Use what you like, it doesn't matter as life is to damn short to worry about what kind of phone or car for that matter we use! kevin

therealjustin
It suggests that the iPhone 5 isn't even good enough to be, well, a copy of the Galaxy S3.

Well, Samsung is right. The iPhone 5 is a great iPhone but not quite up to challenging the S3, upcoming Nexus phone or the Lumia 920. The 4" screen is not enough and iOS is in need of an overhaul.

duffman9000
Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/pajaduja.jpg)

I think it depends on what apps are being used. Chrome on the Nexus 7 chokes on certain content. The AOSP Browser on the Nexus 7 chokes on different content. Together they could form a turd sandwich.

Sometimes the home screen chugs a bit as widgets are synchronizing. The youtube widget seems to do that often.

gijoeinla
Sep 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
I kind of like Samsung's ads. I think it bring to a head of the question of what is important to new smartphone? Realistically most of us will choose 10-15 apps that we use daily, watch some movie, take some pictures, find resturants around us, getting map direction.. Pretty boring kind of stuff.

The real question everyone should ask if what does those new feature do to our day to day use of our phone? Right now smartphone is going down a path that said more feature is better and no one really ask what are we using those feature for? NFC is a great example. What exactly are we using NFC today or tomorrow? Two years later I am already on a new smartphone. So if there is not something I can use now, I probably don't need it in my smartphone now. I think smart phone is getting into the territory where new inventions are seldom useful. We have at a point that smart phone are fairy complete. Faster processor beyond a certain point won't help my day to day use. Same as having more RAM. Screen size is a personal choice and some people will like it. I think Samsung list is actually expose a big problem. How many of the Apple target audience understand what those feature on the list do?

A lot of the online 10 minute iphone 5 demo reviews already start asking about the construction of Samsung and the easy of use question (especially for woman who tends to have smaller hand) of S3 against Iphone 5. The plastic shell construction of S3 used to be o.k., now it is questionable of taste. Iphone 5 set the bar for light weight and thinnest. And it looks like a blockbuster now. So let see what other company can do to match it.. I bet it will take at least another 9 months before anyone can match it. It is much harder than it seems to get a phone that slim and light weight but yet have enough speed and handle LTE. Good, bad or indifferent: the brand, the look, the feel, the construction and the design is going to get more and more important going forward as almost all smartphone can fill 90% of user's basic needs on a mobile device.

Professionally I'm in creative marketing here in L.A. Rule number One - NEVER mention or retread a competitor in your campaign. Two - NEVER do this to a company that in research study after research study shows Apple as king in terms of customer satisfaction. Three - Apple has way way grown outside its core (no pun intended) and that's really what's driving this REACTION advertising. Heck Apple doesn't even EVER mention verbally it's own brand in its advertising - no need.

The latest shrill attack plan that Apple isn't nearly as innovative as Google is lame and clearly backfires. In my eye Apple is smart not to OVER innovate on the iPhone simply cuz it's clearly grown way over the reach of its core customer. They are smart and will serve up innovation in NEW products.

I know a TON of "out of core" customers that are recent iPhone owners and are literally perplexed and nearly put off by all the features. At some point features should matter less and reliability and durability save the day.

The strongly attacked "Genius" campaign was genius in that they in my eye were clearly targeting a group of newer Apple customers that were clueless to how far the company would go to assist you should you be over struck by the technology. Think about it.

Case in point - I bought a Mac mini server for my home - had no clue how to set it up - called Apple support and a genius logged into my Mac on site and spent TWO hours configuring my set up - ALL FREE.

Bottom line - Samsung REACTiNG screams one thing - FEAR. Houston we have a problem. If the Galaxy is so great then let the market decide and figure it out themselves. Samsungs Ad agency seriously dumbfounds me. Lol!!

One more thing -- this ad appears on the heels of Samsung being kicked to the curb LOSING its patent infringement case where it was found GUILTY of stealing from Apple - hyperly reported thru all media sources. Hardly a time to tout its horns and bring MORE question to itself. Ugh

splashnader
Sep 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
Can we all just get a long. :mad:

MCP-511
Sep 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
They should of used the money wasted on the ad to pay down their billion dollar verdict.

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
Bottom line - Samsung REACTiNG screams one thing - FEAR. Houston we have a problem. If the Galaxy is so great then let the market decide and figure it out themselves. Samsungs Ad agency seriously dumbfounds me. Lol!!

If the iPhone is so great, why is Apple bothering with ads?

The only ads I see that are unjustified are ads for government services like Waste Management. If Waste Management is being forced upon us, they should just let the government force us to use it instead of advertising for it.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 03:00 PM
I think it depends on what apps are being used. Chrome on the Nexus 7 chokes on certain content. The AOSP Browser on the Nexus 7 chokes on different content. Together they could form a turd sandwich.

Sometimes the home screen chugs a bit as widgets are synchronizing. The youtube widget seems to do that often.

I agree, I have a Xoom (Nexus and very dated), on rare occasions certain things clunk along. But my 4S and iPad 3 do the same thing. A lot of time the 4S chokes pulling up messages from the lock screen. Safari gets really bad on certain sites sometimes like huffingtonpost. The Facebook app used to be terrible. Most stuff is app related and updates can fix it.

Every time my Xoom lags on one thing my iOS devices lag on something else.

Comparing things like widgets is silly since iOS doesn't have them.

rygamble
Sep 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
Can we all just get a long. :mad:

A long what?

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
' - and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.” Steve Job
So apple innovated what ?

Ochyandkaren
Sep 16, 2012, 03:09 PM

The only ads I see that are unjustified are ads for government services like Waste Management. If Waste Management is being forced upon us, they should just let the government force us to use it instead of advertising for it.

:(: Apple has been attacked with ads like this for decade, Apple never complained.
WHY would they bother with lies that only go unfiltered by the Fox-News-gullible equivalent.

gijoeinla
Sep 16, 2012, 03:10 PM

Historically Apple does little to no advertising in promoting a new iPhone. Show us the iPhone 5 ad. I haven't seen it. Oh right. It's not out yet. Hmmm they just got about a billion dollars in free ads with the worldwide coverage the iPhone received and will get another big hit next Friday on release day

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
removed, glitch

gijoeinla
Sep 16, 2012, 03:11 PM

Exactly. Print is as dead as Samsungs "claims" at out innovating the world biggest company

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Historically Apple does little to no advertising in promoting a new iPhone. Show us the iPhone 5 ad. I haven't seen it. Oh right. It's not out yet. Hmmm they just got about a billion dollars in free ads with the worldwide coverage the iPhone received and will get another big hit next Friday on release day

I've seen plenty of 4S ads on TV, and not even the good ones, the stupid Siri ones. Samsung has a newspaper ad. The only time I ever read the newspaper is when I am forced to for history class, where we are quizzed on news articles from it. Yeah, we even learn about history when we are quizzed on the news :rolleyes:

8a22a
Sep 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
They forgot to put:

Aluminium casted housing, diamond-ground to perfection

vs

Ugly cheap plastic housing

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
I bet you haven't even used the S3 with Jelly Bean. Until you have, please don't comment. I'm comparing two devices that I have in front of me right now.

Obviously can't read much. Have an S3 and a Nexus 7. Next question.

saud0488
Sep 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
Maybe they should add a line:

Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents.
Samsung: Found by a court to be infringing design patents.

LOL at this.
Have you seen notification center?

faroZ06
Sep 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
They forgot to put:

vs

They did in the picture. Seriously, if I were to buy an Android phone, I'd look no further than Google's Nexus.

shiba11
Sep 16, 2012, 03:17 PM
Life is too simple , they are making a huge list of the things that make their phone standout and saying look how many features we can give you compared to the Iphone 5 and see the value for money your getting.
Personally I am apple through and through but I am feeling a little let down when the phone was launched as it had a chance to set new levels of value for money , a phone over $1500 nz should be waterproof the nano tech was there but never made it into the phone.
The leaks before the phone was released just made the launch hum drum . How the hell does a so secret company let parts go out before the official launch. They even leaked them so far before the launch a Chinese knock off was launched in China Goophone ?

Cameras now have sony Ex-more sensors 12 - 18 megapixels in Japan.
Always a dribble in the bucket but as I have an iphone 4 it maybe time to trade up just to keep up with resale values.

saud0488
Sep 16, 2012, 03:17 PM
They forgot to put:

vs

Ugly? Not so much. At least Samsung isn't afraid to change the body and improve upon it.

Atari5001
Sep 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
This ad is SAD. I'm all about comparisons and I have nothing against the S3 but that stuff at the end of the list is silly. I mean silly only because the iPhone has tons of special features as well that they obviously didn't mention.
And really? They listed S Voice? Lmao. That works like crap for the most part. Tilt to zoom? I'll pass. This ad is mostly for people who don't like Apple or don't know much about smartphones. I have this girl at my job with an S2 and she comes in all the time trying to argue her phone is better but doesn't even know what her phone can actually do. Half the time I'm showing her new stuff everyday smh. These are the kinda people this ad will work on and that's perfectly fine with me.

I know the exact same type of people.

The only feature they think is important is having a larger screen...

One handed typing is a struggle for most people.

That's not a good feature.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 03:19 PM

Don't tell a android fan clubber that. They will just start crying and writing in all caps. Very solid assessment of what I also saw on the nexus 7

penajmz
Sep 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
The new iPhone 5 benchmarks just released make this ad inaccurate.

saud0488
Sep 16, 2012, 03:20 PM
The new iPhone 5 benchmarks just released make this ad inaccurate.

Don't expect facts to change anything to the fantards here.

matttye
Sep 16, 2012, 03:23 PM
Obviously can't read much. Have an S3 and a Nexus 7. Next question.

Fair enough. It's just weird that you'd have a wildly different experience to me with the same phone.

Could be the difference between the international and us versions I guess if you're using the us version.

gwelmarten
Sep 16, 2012, 03:23 PM
Laggy, cheap equipment? :rolleyes:

Right, I had LTE for over a year. Laggy? Quadcore phone that rips through apps. Hell, I had problems with google maps on the 4s. Choppy as hell when buffering maps. S3? No such problems.

My point is that Samsung don't know a thing about making good phone software - they just throw power at it. Just look at the Geek Bench scores:

Samsung S3 - 2GB's RAM and Quad Core CPU (highly advertised) - Geekbench score : 1560

iPhone 5 - 1GB RAM and Dual Core CPU (not highly advertised) - Geekbench score: 1601

So, with half the RAM and half the CPU, it's still a faster phone. Apple just know what they are doing more and take more care with memory leaks etc.

NumberNine
Sep 16, 2012, 03:24 PM
They forgot to put:

vs

Ooohhh diamond groud! :rolleyes:

Maybe Samsung can get an arrogant p***k like Jony to talk up their designs.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
Don't tell a android fan clubber that. They will just start crying and writing in all caps. Very solid assessment of what I also saw on the nexus 7

Lol, does anyone take this guy seriously?!? He literately on sees what he wants too!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/uty7epuh.jpg

JForestZ34
Sep 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
Samsung s3 vs iPhone 5

iPhone 5 :)
- Super handy
- 20% thiner
- aluminum unibody
- 112g light
- 20% lighter
- sapphire glass cover
- Cam 20% smaller - with even better picture quality
- Wideband-Audio
- A6 chip 22% smaller
- Global LTE
- All digital connector, 80% smaller
- Faster, better graphics
- More Apps
- iCloud
- itunes Match
- AirPlay
- Siri
- Outstanding new 4 inch display in cell technology, 44 % more colors, much thiner, 326 ppi, integrated touch
- Amazing Design
- 3 microphones

Samsung s3 :confused:

- Not handy
- Plastic unibody
- Too big for your pocket
- Pentile display
- S-voice --- Siri copy
- NFC is not safe
- Viruses
- Gimmick features

I love how you say NFC is not safe but yet if it was on the new iPhone you'd be praising it.

James

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
LOL at this.

You have read all of them ??

----------

Are u waitng for an upgrade, do have a iPhone 5 or sg3

----------

Lol, does anyone take this guy seriously?!? He literately on sees what he wants too!

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/uty7epuh.jpg)
He dont even have a dam iPhone or galaxy

Pilgrim1099
Sep 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
Professionally I'm in creative marketing here in L.A.

Case in point - I bought a Mac mini server for my home - had no clue how to set it up - called Apple support and a genius logged into my Mac on site and spent TWO hours configuring my set up - ALL FREE.

Wait a minute. You work for a creative ad agency and have no idea how to set up or operate a Mac Mini, one that is so easy to do? You could've gone for a top of the line desktop for your line of work, or laptop.

Like you, I work in the creative field, freelance, and can set up a computer on my own with no problem, Windows or Mac.

I don't even need a Genius to set it up for me. After all, I've been playing with Apple II computers since the early 80s.

And what's so ironic is that you work for an ad agency to promote and spin BS to the masses, and yet you fall for the hypocrisy of Apple's "1984" credo.

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/pajaduja.jpg)
Its not

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
Just look at the Geek Bench scores:

Samsung S3 - 2GB's RAM and Quad Core CPU (highly advertised) - Geekbench score : 1560

iPhone 5 - 1GB RAM and Dual Core CPU (not highly advertised) - Geekbench score: 1601

Do you have a link to those results? I search Geekbench but can't find any results for the iPhone 5 in their results browser yet. And the S3 results are quite a bit higher than what you state.

FYI: The 2GB version of the S3 that is sold in the US has a dual core, not quad core, so if the results state that the 2GB version was used it is based on results from a dual core phone.

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
LOL at this.

Has anyone taken Apple to court over this? Didn't think so. My guess is that there was plenty of prior art. Notification systems have existed a long time on the desktop OS front, and the design of Apple's isn't quite the same as Android's.

----------

Do you have a link to those results? I search Geekbench but can't find any results for the iPhone 5 in their results browser yet. And the S3 results are quite a bit higher than what you state.

FYI: The 2GB version of the S3 that is sold in the US has a dual core, not quad core, so if the results state that the 2GB version was used it is based on results from a dual core phone.

It's on the MR front page. The owner of GeekBench reported the results directly to Arn.

8a22a
Ugly? Not so much. At least Samsung isn't afraid to change the body and improve upon it.

The iPhone 5 is completely redesigned, only the home button is still the same. :P

Silverdragon
It wasn't a good idea what Samsung did with that add, it does show that they are desperate to gain a new sale or user.

There are people who like iPhone over a Galaxy phone, and there are people who like Galaxy over iPhone.

Choose which ever you like and use it.

I have an iPhone 4s, it works out great for me. When I need to call someone or use an App that is helpful for me, it just works. I will be buying the 5 later this year for sure. As for the Galaxy line and there operating system, it's just not for me, it's to slow, and some things are just smoke and mirrors. I know what the iPhone and Galaxy line can do, software and hardware wise, and I just prefer iPhone.

I feel good using an Apple product, not because some cost more money, but because when I need to get things done, I can, without worry of any crazy voodoo that will go on.

Sure you might be able to customize other phones a little more with some tweaks and looks that have no baring on the performance, but I just need to get done what I need to get done, and don't have time to change my background images 3x a day.

Apple products - you turn them on, and they work all the time, you get things done.... Thats all there is to it-

andrewpturko
Sep 16, 2012, 03:35 PM
Most of Samsung's additional "features" are laughable (seriously, "shake to update" - just because it sounds cool doesn't mean you should put it in your phone!).

Listing the specs of something means absolutely nothing if the OS isn't simple and attractive to your typical consumer.

Simple is key - when looking at this kind of technology, the spec sheet shouldn't matter to a certain degree - us geeks don't get this because we are looking at things from the wrong perspective. Most people want tools to help them live and enjoy life, not the other way around.

The difference between Samsung and Apple is just as clear as the difference between their remote controls.

How can an OS be a good product without a quality control department? I can give a 2 year old an iPad and she/he would know how to use it; give them any various Android plastic and they'll be upset like the day you bought them Cheese Nips over Cheez-Its.

Samsung's #1 goal should improve ones life, not just improve the spec sheet, because in the end that is really what it all comes down to.

You can call me an Apple 'fanboy' all you want, but all you're doing is pointing out the fact that I believe in a company that has the best business model, a company that has set this standard since 1984 (I know I'm going to get killed for that, so this should be fun :D).

Simple is better in most cases.

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
Ooohhh diamond groud! :rolleyes:

Maybe Samsung can get an arrogant p***k like Jony to talk up their designs.
U dont have a iphone5 either.

speedyvespa
Sep 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
They should mention that buying an S3 is effectively buying stolen technology.

Any why is having a huge/too big screen a good thing? I'm sure even RIM could make a phone with an even bigger screen. But they won't. Why?

IT'S TOO BIG.

hetrigger
Sep 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
Remember when you bought you first pc and it was cluttered up with software you didn't want or need...you had to go through it and delete all the crap. This was to keep the pc cheap! Though I still own several pc's due to the fact that Apple is not supported by somethings that I need them to.

The iPhone is not a status symbol like the droids want say they are. The iPhone is a great tool. We complain we want this and that shoved into the casing and we want it at the same price or cheaper. They do not compromise on the quality THEY want! We wanted LTE in the 4s, they said no...too much power drain! We wanted a bigger screen, They said no...not yet! Many can go on as to the wants and needs and the why's and why not's, but, Apple will not budge or compromise on their products.

Many may call me naive and that may be true, but, when I decided I "needed" a smart phone, there was "crackberry" and iPhone! I went with practicality and iPhone! When I was buying a new computer, I went with a Mac. Yeah, I paid more than a pc, but I would not have to pay for BS software that was preloaded.

This is why when SIII did their ad for their phone, I look at it and laugh. Not because it looks desperate, but, because it is behind the curve. How many 'droid models are out there and how many iOS system models are out there...and for some reason, the competitors try to compare themselves to iPhone and not ANY other phone in the market. They may have something to worry about!

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
It wasn't a good idea what Samsung did with that add, it does show that they are desperate to gain a new sale or user.

There are people who like iPhone over a Galaxy phone, and there are people who like Galaxy over iPhone.

Choose which ever you like and use it.

I have an iPhone 4s, it works out great for me. When I need to call someone or use an App that is helpful for me, it just works. I will be buying the 5 later this year for sure. As for the Galaxy line and there operating system, it's just not for me, it's to slow, and some things are just smoke and mirrors. I know what the iPhone and Galaxy line can do, software and hardware wise, and I just prefer iPhone.

I feel good using an Apple product, not because some cost more money, but because when I need to get things done, I can, without worry of any crazy voodoo that will go on.

Sure you might be able to customize other phones a little more with some tweaks and looks that have no baring on the performance, but I just need to get done what I need to get done, and don't have time to change my background images 3x a day.

Apple products - you turn them on, and they work all the time, you get things done.... Thats all there is to it-
U dont have iPhone 5 either do u