PDA

View Full Version : See Samsung's Sunday newspaper ad about the iPhone 5. Whats your thoughts? (merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

speedyvespa
Sep 16, 2012, 03:39 PM
Following on from my last point - this is why, and has always been why, Apple is a leader in design. Sure, you can have a massive phone with a colossal screen, pointlessly removable battery, Apple have probably thought of all these things and decided against them. It's pathetic that Samesung seem to think that they're being innovators by having a screen that's TOO BIG fitted to their phones.

They have not the first idea about design, form and function. That's why they steal other people's ideas.

Mrg02d
Sep 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
These ads are directed at bafoons that choose the iPhone because it's the hip thing to do. If they knew th gs3 offered more than just iOS, then they might choose the gs3. Simple as that. I know plenty of bafoons who are unhappy with their iPhone and ask about my gs3 all the time. Samsung doesn't expect to sway you awesome, cool kats.

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
Most of Samsung's additional "features" are laughable (seriously, "shake to update" - just because it sounds cool doesn't mean you should put it in your phone!).

Listing the specs of something means absolutely nothing if the OS isn't simple and attractive to your typical consumer.

Simple is key - when looking at this kind of technology, the spec sheet shouldn't matter to a certain degree - us geeks don't get this because we are looking at things from the wrong perspective. Most people want tools to help them live and enjoy life, not the other way around.

The difference between Samsung and Apple is just as clear as the difference between their remote controls.

How can an OS be a good product without a quality control department? I can give a 2 year old an iPad and she/he would know how to use it; give them any various Android plastic and they'll be upset like the day you bought them Cheese Nips over Cheez-Its.

Samsung's #1 goal should improve ones life, not just improve the spec sheet, because in the end that is really what it all comes down to.

You can call me an Apple 'fanboy' all you want, but all you're doing is pointing out the fact that I believe in a company that has the best business model, a company that has set this standard since 1984 (I know I'm going to get killed for that, so this should be fun :D).

Simple is better in most cases.

This is either an insult too all Apple users, teachers of Apples iPhone classes or 2 year old's. I don't know which though....

Mrg02d
Sep 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
Following on from my last point - this is why, and has always been why, Apple is a leader in design. Sure, you can have a massive phone with a colossal screen, pointlessly removable battery, Apple have probably thought of all these things and decided against them. It's pathetic that Samesung seem to think that they're being innovators by having a screen that's TOO BIG fitted to their phones.

They have not the first idea about design, form and function. That's why they steal other people's ideas.

Yea, they stole their design. That's why they use plastic instead of metal and glass?farts...

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
It's on the MR front page. The owner of GeekBench reported the results directly to Arn.

Cool thanks - I see they used the name iPhone5,2 when entering it in their database, explaining why I couldn't find it when I searched.

Here's a couple of links to results:

Iphone 5 (1601 points):
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1030202

Galaxy S3 4-core, 1GB (1847 points):
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/998950

Galaxy S3 2-core, 2GB (1683 points):
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/884649

Silverdragon
Sep 16, 2012, 03:44 PM
U dont have iPhone 5 either do u

Err no, as I stated I will get one later this year. Why do you ask:confused:

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 03:45 PM

“Picasso had a saying - 'good artists copy, great artists steal' - and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.”*
―*Walter Isaacson
,*"Steve Jobs
"Ur a ****ing idiot

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Lol, does anyone take this guy seriously?!? He literately on sees what he wants too!

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/uty7epuh.jpg)

Love how just trolling you with facts is making you rage. Go to an android forum maybe someone will listen to your one sided fantardness. See ya

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
Err no, as I stated I will get one later this year. Why do you ask:confused:
That message wasnt for you my bad

----------

Yea, they stole their design. That's why they use plastic instead of metal and glass?farts...
“Picasso had a saying - 'good artists copy, great artists steal' - and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.”*
―*Walter Isaacson
,*"Steve Jobs
"

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
Cool thanks - I see they used the name iPhone5,2 when entering it in their database, explaining why I couldn't find it when I searched.

Here's a couple of links to results:

Iphone 5 (1601 points):
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1030202

Galaxy S3 4-core, 1GB (1847 points):
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/998950

Galaxy S3 2-core, 2GB (1683 points):
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/884649

Interesting. The S3 results are a bit different from the averages that PrimeLabs' site is reporting if you select "Android Benchmarks" from the list. I'm guessing it can vary from test to test, depending on what else is running.

mcman77
Sep 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
They forgot to add
AirPlay
iCloud
iTunes Match
Panorama
Thinnest Phone Ever

AirPlay - this is quite old actually
iCloud - Asus did this since before 2008 when netbooks where big
iTunes Match - this is a negative lol
Panorama - Sony had this very long ago.
Thinnest Phone Ever - It isn't

Really? Spent much time on an S3 with Jelly Bean? Thought not. Scrolling is not 4S quality, let alone the 5. It never will be. Too much fragmentation.
Is it better than 4.0? Absolutey. That is as fas as it goes. :)

Never!....say never :)

What ist:
Smart stay - no idea ??
Group Cast - No idea ??
Smart alert - No idea ??
Direckt call - no idea ??
Tilt to zoom - no idea ??
Palm swipe capture - iPhone home button + wake up button to take a Screenshot
Shake to update ???? - iPhone >setting>updates

Removable battery is a just a joke, not a feature !

So you're ignorant of other products....your point?

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 03:54 PM
Interesting. The S3 results are a bit different from the averages that PrimeLabs' site is reporting if you select "Android Benchmarks" from the list. I'm guessing it can vary from test to test, depending on what else is running.

Yep, I see the iPhone 4s results vary quite a bit too, so there are probably a lot of people that unfortunately run this test with lots of stuff going on in the background. Some of which impact the performance.

SirDaav
Sep 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
Everyone got Samsung'd! :D

Because they don't care if you talk about, they care if you go out and buy their phone instead on an Apple phone.

I am sure they think every little piece of snide gossip helps, but Apple can sell every phone it makes.

I am not sure how Samsung can make a dent in that at all.

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Iv been using my Samsung galaxy to trash talk. Just fun , I like a phone thay assist me help me keeps organize, keeps my outrageous music library, pics, phone number, ect ect. N e way, you make ur device powerful by what u do with it, not what Apple or Samsung says it can do. Enjoy todays technology and unlike apple or samsung shar ur ideas for innovation ,not court dates

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Love how just trolling you with facts is making you rage. Go to an android forum maybe someone will listen to your one sided fantardness. See ya

Excuse me?

You said I never used an iOS device and I quoted you using a screen shot from my 4S. Your facts there were an assumption and a incorrect one at that.

Then you said Android users are going to flip and talk in all caps. You either neglected to see I already commented or just lying. Then I responded to you with a screen shot from an Android device. This "fact" was just a bold face lie.

Your arguments are pathetic and your facts are just lies. And no offense but your mannerisms are immature too, I don't exactly know what a "fantardness" is but I'm sure its often said on a school bus.

rickdollar
Sep 16, 2012, 03:59 PM
Most of Samsung's additional "features" are laughable (seriously, "shake to update" - just because it sounds cool doesn't mean you should put it in your phone!).

Much like the Samsung TV's that you stand in front of and move your hands around like a mime to move the selection on the screen.
Neat? Yes.... for about a minute.
Useful? No way. Just give me the damn remote.

I think they put in as many things as they can come up with to make their spec list longer.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
You have read all of them ??

----------

Are u waitng for an upgrade, do have a iPhone 5 or sg3

----------

He dont even have a dam iPhone or galaxy

Have an iPhone 5 pre ordered. Sold my 4s on Craigslist for $425 (another thing Samsung crap doesn't offer; resale value.) had an s3 for a week then returned it and pre ordered an iPhone 5. So yes I have an iPhone im actually on a 3GS back up phone and I have to say it is more enjoyable than the s3.

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 04:01 PM
Excuse me?

You said I never used an iOS device and I quoted you using a screen shot from my 4S. Your facts there were an assumption and a incorrect one at that.

Then you said Android users are going to flip and talk in all caps. You either neglected to see I already commented or just lying. Then I responded to you with a screen shot from an Android device. This "fact" was just a bold face lie.

Your arguments are pathetic and your facts are just lies. And no offense but your mannerisms are immature too, I don't exactly know what a "fantardness" is but I'm sure its often said on a school bus.

Done being angry about your phone yet?
Honestly not paying attention to all your replies so now I'm lost. Why are you on this site again? Reading all the awesome facts of the new iPhone?!

lucas107
Sep 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
Yep, I see the iPhone 4s results vary quite a bit too, so there are probably a lot of people that unfortunately run this test with lots of stuff going on in the background. Some of which impact the performance.

benchmarks only give a rough idea at best. they canchange greatly from boot to boot. also those raging on plastic forget that plastic canbend some. my s2 has been dropped so many times on concrete but still looks New. a glass and metal body will not allow this. although it not certainly feels and looks cheaper it is from my experience better for drops.

sasasule
Marketing that involves comparison is not a good idea? Maybe. It's illegal in many countries (including Germany where I live), but it's an American invention so you probably have to live with it. Apple is doing it all the time as well - on a very childish level, one might add - but I usually don't hear you guys complaining about it when Apple does it. :eek::eek:

Technologically, the Galaxy S3 is superior to the iPhone 5 in every single aspect. The iPhone's aluminum body is nice, I give it that. But that doesn't change the fact that it represents last year's technology, lacks vision and innovation, is part of a walled garden ecosystem and still has a screen that's simply too small. The iPhone 5 might be a nice improvement for current iPhone users, but it certainly won't attract any Android customers.

Not sure what you mean when you say Apple is doing it all the time as well - on very childish level...For one i think that Apple have really easy comercial that are made for everyone...And even if they do ads that have any type of compairing with other product they do tend to keep small dose of humor in it and not go peace by peace like Samsung did. But then again this is just how i see it.

According to benchmarks that Superior S3 is below iPhone 5 so if i read correctly Aplle last year's technology outperforms S3 which suppose to be superior device in every aspect when you compare it with iPhone 5. YOUR WORDS...

Timzer
gotta love all the fan kiddies who think they know how to run an ad agency or a corporation. The only thing you've proven is you know how to run your mouth. Good on ya though, hope all is better after your little tantrum about the ad.
You see, this thread has over 1000 responses and more importantly over 91,000 views. I'd say misssion accomplished for sammy. ;)

This! This! This! This! This! This!
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
Again, WHY ARE YOU TROLLING A MAC SITE IF YOU'RE NOT A FAN OF THEIR PRODUCTS? I don't ****ing care how much you can Google to make a point. The point of this is, the ad is straight up lying to make the iPhone look bad when it's not a bad phone. I don't get why people hate the iPhone so much. This is the more pointless ****ing argument ever. WHO CARES? Keep your ****** phones, I like what I like. Shut the **** up.
But ur not getting paid to defend Apple its just matter of opinion, be easy its just a phone I have a Galaxy but it just a phone.

----------

This! This! This! This! This! This!
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!
Bbq I Hope

----------

Not sure what you mean when you say Apple is doing it all the time as well - on very childish level...For one i think that Apple have really easy comercial that are made for everyone...And even if they do ads that have any type of compairing with other product they do tend to keep small dose of humor in it and not go peace by peace like Samsung did. But then again this is just how i see it.

According to benchmarks that Superior S3 is below iPhone 5 so if i read correctly Aplle last year's technology outperforms S3 which suppose to be superior device in every aspect when you compare it with iPhone 5. YOUR WORDS...

Its a peice of plastic dam

cynics
Sep 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
Honestly not paying attention to all your replies so now I'm lost. Why are you on this site again? Reading all the awesome facts of the new iPhone?!

I liked your post because I feel bad for you. I'm here because I own a 4S and a iPad 3. I feel bad for you because I was under the impression you were of more IQ and "reading" wasn't overwhelming to the point of losing you. Reading comprehension (or lack there of) is probably why you think I'm mad, I assure you I am not lol.

Since my nature is to debate endlessly I'm just adding you to my ignore list.

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
―*Walter Isaacson
,*"Steve Jobs
"

----------

I liked your post because I feel bad for you. I'm here because I own a 4S and a iPad 3. I feel bad for you because I was under the impression you were of more IQ and "reading" wasn't overwhelming to the point of losing you.

Since my nature is to debate endlessly I'm just adding you to my ignore list.

―*Walter Isaacson
,*"Steve Jobs
"

Chadillacc
Sep 16, 2012, 04:10 PM
Excuse me?

You sound like a world of Warcraft player... Are you a world of Warcraft player? Go outside.

splashnader
Sep 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
A long what?

LOL > a long should be along. Stupid me typing on iPhone.

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 04:12 PM
Has anyone taken Apple to court over this? Didn't think so. My guess is that there was plenty of prior art. Notification systems have existed a long time on the desktop OS front, and the design of Apple's isn't quite the same as Android's.

----------

It's on the MR front page. The owner of GeekBench reported the results directly to Arn.

―*Walter Isaacson
,*"Steve Jobs
"

Aidan5806
Sep 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
The purpose of an ad isn't to make a reasoned logical argument, it is meant to persuade you to purchase a service or good that you don't need. Ads are inherently deceptive.

Right but if its not a decent argument then it wont convince anyone to get the product.

CaptainPrice01
Sep 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
This kinda reminds me of the Dell's compare Apples to Apples advertisements. Dell would twists facts to make Windows and Live Essentials sound better to Mac os X and iLife (like Windows Essentials is better because Windows Movie Maker has a very small and insignificant feature that iMovie doesn't, but they don't mention that Windows Essentials doesn't have a music making programs and iLife does.)

mcman77
Sep 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
Again, WHY ARE YOU TROLLING A MAC SITE IF YOU'RE NOT A FAN OF THEIR PRODUCTS? I don't ****ing care how much you can Google to make a point. The point of this is, the ad is straight up lying to make the iPhone look bad when it's not a bad phone. I don't get why people hate the iPhone so much. This is the more pointless ****ing argument ever. WHO CARES? Keep your ****** phones, I like what I like. Shut the **** up.

hahahah this is hilarious! I might ad it to my sig. ;)

I am a big fan of OSX. Not as big a fan of iOS. Don't hate the iphone either, what gave you that idea? :)

I didn't google anything to make a point :)

Can you please point out the lies in the ad?

"This is the more pointless ****ing argument ever."

You mean to say "This is the most pointless ****ing argument ever."

chatfan
Sep 16, 2012, 04:22 PM
Is there an "off" switch for these pointless rants?
I hope MR makes tons of money on adds from all this nonsense whistling against the wind.

VanNess
Sep 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
It's a pretty much an idiotic ad. One thing is true: it doesn't take a genius - which is pretty convenient when there isn't one anywhere in Samsung's marketing department.

Spec wars might be able to spark a nice lively debate in geek forums but that's about it. On the other hand, the general public (the audience for which this ad is targeted and who don't live and breath in geek forums), simply won't be able to relate to this ad. In other words, most ordinary folks have no idea what NFC is or what it does, and if you don't explain it or show how it works in ordinary life and why it's beneficial, it means nothing.

That's why the Mac v PC ads managed to resonate so well. They targeted the general public, but focused completely on the user experience of a Mac versus PC which is something that many people could relate to. Rattling of baffling specs that are imperceptible to the intended audience is not how you distinguish your product to the ordinary public.

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
―*Walter Isaacson
,*"Steve Jobs
"

Apparently you don't understand the deeper meaning behind the Picasso quote. I don't think Picasso or Steve Jobs advocated taking another person's work and passing it off as your own.

It's one thing to be influenced by the developments of the past. It's another thing to take those influences and advancing. It's the nature of human history.

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 04:34 PM
After reading all of this thread, i can safely say that Samsungs advertising campaign was a 100% success.

Really? How many people on this thread said they changed their mind and were now going to purchase an S III over an iPhone 5? Talking about the ad means nothing if it doesn't translate into sales for Samsung.

mcman77
Sep 16, 2012, 04:34 PM
Apparently you don't understand the deeper meaning behind the Picasso quote. I don't think Picasso or Steve Jobs advocated taking another person's work and passing it off as your own.

It's one thing to be influenced by the developments of the past. It's another thing to take those influences and advancing. It's the nature of human history.

:D

:rolleyes:

cclloyd
Sep 16, 2012, 04:39 PM
Also notice how a lot of the features only listed on the S are software features, whereas they don't mention anything about iOS 6.

mentholiptus
Sep 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
I love how companies throw the word "Innovation" around after they've just copied someone else's work. No phone looked or operated like this before 2007. It's documented. Everyone knows Apple is the innovator, and created this new segment that everyone is trying to get a piece of. It's just too bad samsung feels the need to sling mud rather than show appreciation. Everyone can argue all they want. It is what it is. Apple invented this class of devices. Everyone is frantically trying to copy what they can, as fast as they can, without putting 6 years and billions of R&D dollars into their work. Sadly, there are people who think Apple is evil for this. So it goes.

In the end, it's a god damned telephone. You guys are arguing over a freaking telephone.

nikaru
Sep 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
I love how you say NFC is not safe but yet if it was on the new iPhone you'd be praising it.

James

The technology is good, the implication is bad. If NFC can exchnage information between devices, so it can exchange viruses, malware or user information. Android is open software, so it is easy to get viruses, iPhone is closed controled ecosystem so if you not jailbreak it, its safe. When apple adopt NFC they will do it their way, focosing on security, useability and user experiance. Sammy has it, so i wanna know how many of those users use it. 1%? 0.05%? Or maybe less. So its there but nobody use it, and thats the big deal. I use my iPad every single day and every single feature is great and I use it almost all the time.

What samsung do, is just trowing **** on a wall (users) and hope some of the **** sticks to do wall (users like it). With iOS you can see some great new features, but its almost all about making the features it has now, better. The idea is not to give every software update a dozen of new system apps, but maybe one or two, but they should be great. When apple wants to Create a feature they probably think about cons and pros and if they cant clear all the cons, they dont give it to user because they care about him. Sammy just make stuffs with acceptable level of cons and pros and use the users for laboratory rats.

NumberNine
Sep 16, 2012, 04:53 PM
U dont have a iphone5 either.

You're right I don't. I do ironically have an iPad 2.

pure3d2
Sep 16, 2012, 04:56 PM
I did not even clicked on that link.

When did apple started working on the iPhone?
All those prototypes ARE out the in the wild.

Any original work like the first iPhone take years to make ( unless you copy it like Samsung ), to make right that is. Dragging that argument makes you look like a troll.

I was being sarcastic to another user wikus or something was his name who said that Apple stole the idea for the iPhone from the LG Prada phone.

I posted a youtube video to show that they have little in common. :)

dacapo
Sep 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
It's a pretty much an idiotic ad. One thing is true: it doesn't take a genius - which is pretty convenient when there isn't one anywhere in Samsung's marketing department.

Spec wars might be able to spark a nice lively debate in geek forums but that's about it. On the other hand, the general public (the audience for which this ad is targeted and who don't live and breath in geek forums), simply won't be able to relate to this ad. In other words, most ordinary folks have no idea what NFC is or what it does, and if you don't explain it or show how it works in ordinary life and why it's beneficial, it means nothing.

That's why the Mac v PC ads managed to resonate so well. They targeted the general public, but focused completely on the user experience of a Mac versus PC which is something that many people could relate to. Rattling of baffling specs that are imperceptible to the intended audience is not how you distinguish your product to the ordinary public.

Right, the Mac vs PC ads did resonate very well, but didn't necessarily translate into market share, especially at the much higher prices for Macs. But with the lower price points for phones, your point is very valid and translating into market share.

Price and mindshare, a formidable combination.

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 04:59 PM
Ugly? Not so much. At least Samsung isn't afraid to change the body and improve upon it.

Improve upon it how? As yeah it is butt ugly.

dokujaryu
Sep 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
The best solution of all is simple. Stop going to Best Buy.

It's as simple as that.

Yeah, I'm about to move to Austin. They have Fry's there. Do they train their employees to be Bishops of the Holy Church of Android there?

GoldenJoe
Sep 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
I don't think Samsung understands why people buy the iPhone.

Colpeas
Sep 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
That ad is a bucket of BS. Who the hell cares about "tilt to zoom" anyway?

jabroon
Sep 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
I think that apple should make an ad with the iPhone screen on and the Galaxy S3's off. Then list every single feature of ios and at the bottom write "Bitch Please" or "Come at me bro".

mcman77
Sep 16, 2012, 05:25 PM

I don't think apple does either. They know a good majority of their users are demanding something, they don't give it to them and yet they still come back and buy the next model :D

But hey, if you do understand why i'd like to hear it.

I do!...just cause you don't doesn't mean others don't :)

Ervin
Sep 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
That's more like it. Don't settle for Samsung products.

Shaun, UK
Sep 16, 2012, 05:35 PM

Listing the specs of something means absolutely nothing if the OS isn't simple and attractive to your typical consumer.

Simple is key - when looking at this kind of technology, the spec sheet shouldn't matter to a certain degree - us geeks don't get this because we are looking at things from the wrong perspective. Most people want tools to help them live and enjoy life, not the other way around.

The difference between Samsung and Apple is just as clear as the difference between their remote controls.

How can an OS be a good product without a quality control department? I can give a 2 year old an iPad and she/he would know how to use it; give them any various Android plastic and they'll be upset like the day you bought them Cheese Nips over Cheez-Its.

Samsung's #1 goal should improve ones life, not just improve the spec sheet, because in the end that is really what it all comes down to.

You can call me an Apple 'fanboy' all you want, but all you're doing is pointing out the fact that I believe in a company that has the best business model, a company that has set this standard since 1984 (I know I'm going to get killed for that, so this should be fun :D).

Simple is better in most cases.

I'm an average user and I read through the list and thought some of the added features would be very useful like putting the phone on mute when you turn it over. Very clever.

How many times have we heard people like you bleating on in this forum about Samsung should not copy Apple but should innovate and create their own functions. Well they did just that and you're still bleating on. Only this time it's "the iPhone doesn't need loads of useful features" - presumably because the iSheep would buy a turd if it had and Apple logo on it.

How does the iPhone "improve one's life"? What a load of bollocks. It's just an expensive phone. Nothing more nothing less. My life would not be improved one jot for having an iPhone or any other mobile phone for that matter.

DanteMann
Sep 16, 2012, 05:36 PM

Wow, you sure showed Samsung. I bet they just pack up and close shop. Nobody wants their phones anymore all because little ol' you wasted time in your day to edit one of their ads. You Win! ;)

bobob
Sep 16, 2012, 05:37 PM

I don't think apple does either. They know a good majority of their users are demanding something, they don't give it to them and yet they still come back and buy the next model

What is this "something" that the majority iPhone users are "demanding"?

GollumBoy
Sep 16, 2012, 05:37 PM
True, I notice that they are trying too hard to advertise Galaxy S3 after they were sued by Apple.

This is of the their tweet yesterday.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/vFD2P.jpg)

Lol the Galxy S3, yes the next BIG THING is already out.. the S3. Only big in size though.
Samsung are maybe over compensating ;)

DanteMann
Sep 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
Samedung is just shoveling people to examine the iPhone 5... that's ridiculous.

Or to get people like you talking, which they have. BINGO!

Lesser Evets
Sep 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
Or to get people like you talking, which they have. BINGO!

Damn. Samedung did get me talking... but not buying. Fail.

DanteMann
Sep 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
Lol the Galxy S3, yes the next BIG THING is already out.. the S3. Only big in size though.

Or perhaps people buying the iPhone are matching up sizes to everything else on their persons. ;)

Ervin
Sep 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
Wow, you sure showed Samsung. I bet they just pack up and close shop. Nobody wants their phones anymore all because little ol' you wasted time in your day to edit one of their ads. You Win! ;)

I can't take credit for the edit. I came across it on the web. I thought i'd post it for fun. :D Can't wait to get my 5. :cool:

Aragornii
Sep 16, 2012, 05:46 PM
lol @ samsung fanboys who feel the need to spend the last 3 days on an apple site to justify their purchase. Don't worry about what others think of that fugly oversized piece of plastic boys, as long as you like it that's all that counts.

JosephKr
Sep 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
Well if anything the ad will definitely start people asking the magic question: What do I need all this extra **** for anyway? Seems to me that simpler and elegant is the way to go and that's the iPhone all the way. So we owe Samsng a thank you for all the free advertising they are giving Apple. Not too bright. Just like all the SIII trolls who haunt this site trying to put Apple down and justify their own stupidity. And so it goes....

mdelvecchio
Sep 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
Kind of like I'm a Mac-I'm a PC right? Oh wait, that was apple...never mind.

apple isnt the market leader in PC space*. they are in mobile.

*tho they are the leading PC manufacture in annual growth...the others are dropping in sales while macs continue to grow year after year.

carmenodie
Sep 16, 2012, 05:54 PM
Sammy is just counting on the geeks who love spec whoring.
That's all Sammy can bring to the table: specs. Meh! iPhone is a beast. It can replace a small laptop in certain arenas.
I kept my iPhone 4 for two years and still didn't touch nearly all the power it has. My girlfriend has already pre ordered me the iPhone 5, in white 16 gig model. Yipee! Sc**w Samsung.

JosephKr
Sep 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
Oops, and while I'm at it, does this "Tilt to Zoom" feature mean that you have to hold your phone stock still to use it, else if you accidentally tilt it you'll be zooming all over the place? That doesn't sound like a benefit to me. More like an annoyance. As we used to say in the pinball days....TILT!

Rennir
Sep 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
lol @ samsung fanboys who feel the need to spend the last 3 days on an apple site to justify their purchase. Don't worry about what others think of that fugly oversized piece of plastic boys, as long as you like it that's all that counts.

...this is the alternate devices section :eek: I think you might've been looking for the iPhone sub forum instead. Also, consider the possibility that a lot of us own other apple products. ;) Good day. Btw iOS is boring, looks like its from 2007, etc.

It's also ironic because it was the Apple camp who felt the need to defend their purchase?

skystuntz
Sep 16, 2012, 06:00 PM
butt hurt in deed! :rolleyes:

Rennir
Sep 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
That's all Sammy can bring to the table: specs. Meh! iPhone is a beast. It can replace a small laptop in certain arenas.
I kept my iPhone 4 for two years and still didn't touch nearly all the power it has. My girlfriend has already pre ordered me the iPhone 5, in white 16 gig model. Yipee! Sc**w Samsung.

Yeah who needs specs? Let's get rid of pinch to zoom and bounce back on pages for all iOS devices! Let's also get rid of Siri, maps, turn by turn, flyover, etc. That'll show how much of a spec whore Samsung is even more.

Shaun, UK
Sep 16, 2012, 06:02 PM

I don't think it's exactly a one way street. I don't like the way Apple fans have embarked on a witch hunt of all things Samsung. The iPhone and the S3 are both great phones. Samsung make some excellent products. In many ways they have taken over the mantle previously held by Sony. Prefer what you prefer without resorting to slagging off the competition.

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
does this "Tilt to Zoom" feature mean that you have to hold your phone stock still to use it, else if you accidentally tilt it you'll be zooming all over the place?

Of course not.

Stella
Sep 16, 2012, 06:10 PM

If it was a feature of iOS you would care about it.

dmbfan41
Sep 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
SPOT ON, well said!

Well that is not true. I've bought many iPhones and this is the first one that I could really care less about owning. The S3 has superior hardware with an inferior OS, so it's really up in the air for me right now for my personal phone. I need a work phone as well, but I'm probably going with the Blackberry Bold because its far superior for business use.

Aragornii
Sep 16, 2012, 06:19 PM
I don't think it's exactly a one way street. I don't like the way Apple fans have embarked on a witch hunt of all things Samsung. The iPhone and the S3 are both great phones. Samsung make some excellent products. In many ways they have taken over the mantle previously held by Sony. Prefer what you prefer without resorting to slagging off the competition.

But how can I assuage nagging feelings of personal inferiority if I don't insult other peoples choice of mobile phones?

kingdLo
Sep 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
Can someone tell me WTF tilt to zoom is and how it works??

peteypab2133
Sep 16, 2012, 06:27 PM
I find it even more ironic that they are advertising the S-voice, which is a complete rip-off of Siri.

What about the turn by turn voice navigation?

What about the notification bar that can be pulled down?

I see all these phones on a daily basis. I can honestly say Apple got a lot of potential owners taken out of the game (with VZW at least) when the preorder unlimited data launch of the S3 happened.

Everyone knows if you cannot outsell your competitor sue them so they cannot sell it anymore.

----------

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, because apple advertised pinch to zoom for years like it was sliced bread. Now thinking about another way to zoom other than covering the screen with two fingers makes you upset... :rolleyes:

I get it though, your really angry because its not a tickle to zoom or something that would be a complete knock off. Apple would then be able to SUE :D

McCool71
Sep 16, 2012, 06:40 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+tilt+to+zoom

Shade12
Sep 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
I think that's Ghetto

RebelScum
Sep 16, 2012, 06:44 PM
It's not about who has the best specs

It's not about who has the best hardware

It's not about who has the best OS

It's not even about whose is cheapest

It about what fist best into your life. It's entirely about personal preference.

For some, personal preference is yammering on about specs and owning the positive side of the razor-fine line between superior and inferior.

For most, it's about simply liking it better.

Spec wars are a complete waste of time and effort. We live in the goddam future, in a time when everything does EVERYTHING. None of us are left wanting for features, or capabilities, or access to information.

Prefer a bigger screen? Get an S3.

Prefer iOS? Get an iPhone.

Absolutely none of us should give even a glimmer of a ****** about anyone else's decision.

Brands are like people. You are free to choose who you want to be friends with.

And smarmy attack ads like this one, about a complete and total non-issue, just tell me I don't wanna hang out with Sammy.

G51989
Sep 16, 2012, 06:45 PM
I love how companies throw the word "Innovation" around after they've just copied someone else's work. No phone looked or operated like this before 2007. It's documented. Everyone knows Apple is the innovator, and created this new segment that everyone is trying to get a piece of. It's just too bad samsung feels the need to sling mud rather than show appreciation. Everyone can argue all they want. It is what it is. Apple invented this class of devices. Everyone is frantically trying to copy what they can, as fast as they can, without putting 6 years and billions of R&D dollars into their work. Sadly, there are people who think Apple is evil for this. So it goes.

In the end, it's a god damned telephone. You guys are arguing over a freaking telephone.

Really, no phone was like an iPhone before 2007?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLOGUQouUI

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 06:45 PM
So how many have decided to cancel their iPhone order (or not place one in the first place) and get a S III because of this ad?

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
"It doesn't take a genius."

So iPhone users are geniuses and Samsung owner's are not?
Why is Samsung insulting their own users by implying they are not smart?

ixodes
Sep 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I'm about to move to Austin. They have Fry's there. Do they train their employees to be Bishops of the Holy Church of Android there?
Fry's is not owned by Best Buy. Nor do they "steer" customers.

CubusX
Sep 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
im in the same boat. switch to verizon after being with att for 15 years but the last year i saw full siginal in the middle of town and nothing happening and after calling att several times over the past year i switched to verizon. i got the gs3 to use while waiting for ip5 and the only thing im not happy with is the voice/data issue which i think is more of an agreement att made with apple if truth be known. im cant see why apple wouldnt include an extra antenna even if it added weight or size, i mean how much more could it had added

I wouldnt go that far and say its an agreement made between AT&T and Apple that kept the voice/seperate on Verizon's iPhone. I think Apple chose design over function yet again and some of its customers have to suffer due to that decision. I'm not a fan of Andriod but if I can have basic functions (ability to talk/surf) that the iPhone dosen't I'll make the move.

KPOM
Sep 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
I wouldnt go that far and say its an agreement made between AT&T and Apple that kept the voice/seperate on Verizon's iPhone. I think Apple chose design over function yet again and some of its customers have to suffer due to that decision. I'm not a fan of Andriod but if I can have basic functions (ability to talk/surf) that the iPhone dosen't I'll make the move.

Within a year Verizon is supposed to implement VoLTE so I'm guessing it will be a non-issue with the "5S" which I assume will use the same basic design as the iPhone 5. Apparently Verizon doesn't require their LTE phones to support SVDO, and they have sold quite a few 4S models that lacked LTE altogether so perhaps they weren't too concerned about it and didn't press Apple on it either.

-LikesMac-
Sep 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
1337th commenter here…

Anyways, it's pretty funny how Samsung went this far.

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 07:18 PM
Life is too simple , they are making a huge list of the things that make their phone standout and saying look how many features we can give you compared to the Iphone 5 and see the value for money your getting.
Personally I am apple through and through but I am feeling a little let down when the phone was launched as it had a chance to set new levels of value for money , a phone over $1500 nz should be waterproof the nano tech was there but never made it into the phone.
The leaks before the phone was released just made the launch hum drum . How the hell does a so secret company let parts go out before the official launch. They even leaked them so far before the launch a Chinese knock off was launched in China Goophone ?

Cameras now have sony Ex-more sensors 12 - 18 megapixels in Japan.
Always a dribble in the bucket but as I have an iphone 4 it maybe time to trade up just to keep up with resale values.

simple ha

----------

How much apple paying you?

----------

Go buy one and experience it

----------

Like little things ha

sofianito
Sep 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
8 Things The iPhone 5 Still Can't Do...

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-5-missing-features-2012-9?op=1#ixzz26gK9zjqi (http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-5-missing-features-2012-9)

Jermai1152
Sep 16, 2012, 07:20 PM

Nut huger

FrankieUK
Sep 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
I created an account just to post this.

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5377616_460s.jpg

My wasted time well spent.

iPhone for people with one brain cell.

Good bye all it was fun :D

BulletToothTony
Sep 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
simple ha

----------

How much apple paying you?

----------

Go buy one and experience it

----------

Like little things ha

Says the guys in the Apple forums putting down apple

Wrathwitch
Sep 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
I found it entertaining.

Welcome to advertising.

It is no worse than this that I have seen(which I still found humorous):

billystlyes
Sep 16, 2012, 08:02 PM
Love my S3. I don't know it will compare with the iPhone 5 in person, but it smokes the 4S in everyway possible. I don't really miss iOS either.

PaulChowHK
Sep 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
Samsung pretty smart guys they making money every time IPhone 5 sells and every time Galaxy sells. :D

solarguy17
Sep 16, 2012, 08:39 PM
The S3 has superior hardware with an inferior OS, so it's really up in the air for me right now for my personal phone.

Based on the Geekbench benchmarking, it looks like the iPhone 5 has a slight edge even though the specs are quite as high.

tonydickinson
Sep 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
It is time that both companies stop this childish tomfoolery.

Let the consumer decide what is best for them and leave it at that.

SJ is no longer at Apple who has to continue to develop by using innovation, a quality that is lacking as there are no new iMacs, macMini's and MacPro, and Tim Cook although very capable is boring and lacks charisma. He is not the marketing man that Apple needs.

The ongoing issues with Samsung are a waste of effort, as it will stifle any innovation and attract the type of publicity that will reduce Apple to less than mediocre in five years. The decline is already evident, to those who have their eyes open.

chiefpavvy
Sep 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Pathetic, Samsung.

I guess that shiny new iPhone 5 is a real S III killer after all. :D :D :D

DocNo
Sep 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
Well at least Samsung isn't bitter - lol!

Keebler
Sep 16, 2012, 09:06 PM
Samsung pretty smart guys they making money every time IPhone 5 sells and every time Galaxy sells. :D

how's that?

Apple apparently is getting their screens for the 5 from Sharp, instead of Samsung.

Apple is Samsung's largest customer.

Sure....tick them off.

um...smart decision?

lol

To each their own. Some folks want a larger screen and different OS. Good for them. Some want the iPhone b/c it integrates so well with their eco-system (like me). Good for them.

What I don't like is companies ripping off others so I wish no luck to Samsung.

DocNo
Sep 16, 2012, 09:08 PM
The ongoing issues with Samsung are a waste of effort, as it will stifle any innovation

How is copying innovation?

Just curious. I see this thrown out there all the time, but if you analyze it it makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever - it's a contradictory statement!

What I think people like you really mean is "I like Apple's well designed stuff but I like it better when someone like Samsung copies it and sells it for less". Probably right after they complain about Walmart killing main street and that there are no manufacturing jobs in America any more :p

holyjohn
Sep 16, 2012, 09:08 PM
OMG I laughed so hard because in the ad, iPhone actually looks better than Galaxy S3.

DocNo
Sep 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
Samsung make some excellent products.

Whether or not Samsung makes excellent products is what's in dispute. What is in dispute is did they make them on their own, or did they get the benefit of Apple's R&D without having to pay for it?

Hint: A jury found the latter (in spades - look up the word "willful" sometime) and that's the core issue.

elec999
Sep 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
No matter how good the hardware is. the software makes all the difference.

Teddy's
Sep 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
To those adding iCloud to the iPhone features, I guess they didn't have .mac (or mobile me). iCloud simply sucks. It is an embarrassment and since mobile me, "it has not been Apple's finest hour." ****** it "you need Lion on a mac" BS!**

Yeah it is free now... whatever.

Konrad9
Sep 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
They need to add under the ram portion "2gb of ram but lags like hell anyway"

That's the main reason I am switching from the S3 to the iPhone5.

Yes... I'm sure a die hard Apple fanboy from this site actually bought a non-Apple product.

chiefpavvy
Sep 16, 2012, 09:24 PM
No matter how good the hardware is. the software makes all the difference.

Not just the software, the entire user experience. Hence why Android remains light years behind Apple and iOS.

iPhone 5 has both though, the A6 is a beast and with iOS 6 will put Android on catch-up mode for the next year.

SeniorGato1
Sep 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
huh? every phone does that minus CDMA from verizon thats still in use for whatever reason in the US in 2012

All Verizon LTE phones support it except iPhone 5

Mrg02d
Sep 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
News flash children, the iPhone was not the first of its kind. I sold rectangles with rounded corners before the iPhone came out. Some of Samsung phones did look like the iPhone, but not all. Anyone that would mistake a gs3 for an iPhone is a dumb donkey. Same goes for the s2.:apple:

The s3 is how apple SHOULD have made the iPhone 5 look.:D If Samsung had made a metal back plate, it would have been just as nice as iPhone build quality.

----------

Not just the software, the entire user experience. Hence why Android remains light years behind Apple and iOS.

iPhone 5 has both though, the A6 is a beast and with iOS 6 will put Android on catch-up mode for the next year.

Please explain what is light years ahead about iOS?

applefanDrew
Sep 16, 2012, 09:37 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-5-missing-features-2012-9?op=1#ixzz26gK9zjqi (http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-5-missing-features-2012-9)

Lol that you think the things they mention are relevant.

Boatboy24
Sep 16, 2012, 09:39 PM
Brands are like people. You are free to choose who you want to be friends with.

Actually, brands are like opinions (and *******s): everyone's got one and they all do the same thing. Some you just like better than others. :)

yourtoys7
Sep 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
This reminds me Apple vs Microsoft commercial, Apple is the inferior product here.
They can call it magical all they want BUT sales of S3 prove something very different, people sell their iPhones to buy S3, I'll be one of them :)

DocNo
Sep 16, 2012, 09:46 PM

Number of applications?
Customer satisfaction ratings?
Profits of Apple?
Profits of iOS developers?
Numbers of phones shipped and kept by their purchasers vs. numbers stuffed in the channel?
Numbers of phones that are actually used as smartphones (i.e. app purchases, web browser traffic, etc)

That's just a few....

patent10021
Sep 16, 2012, 09:48 PM
I've said it before jokingly, but this time I'm serious, Macrumors should reject non Mac/iOS browsers, before this farce overwhelms the forum and drives away more people than it already has.Good idea. MacRumors feels like the soccer mom version of AppleInsider.

saturn88
Sep 16, 2012, 09:51 PM
Apple has plenty of features that Samsung/Google don't mention in that ad, such as iCloudI prefer Dropbox. There are plenty of other cloud storage services.

In fact Galaxy SIII customers get 50GB of free Dropbox space. How much of the free iCloud space did the iPhone customers get?

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
Number of applications?
Profits of Apple?
Numbers of phones shipped and kept by their purchasers vs. numbers stuffed in the channel?
Numbers of phones that are actually used as smartphones (i.e. app purchases, web browser traffic, etc)

That's just a few....

Good list for a prospective investor, but what about a customer who doesnt give two shiz about Apples profits or sales?

What about iOS is light years ahead of Android?

rever3nce
Sep 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
This reminds me Apple vs Microsoft commercial, Apple is the inferior product here.
They can call it magical all they want BUT sales of S3 prove something very different, people sell their iPhones to buy S3, I'll be one of them :)

come say that on September 21st

chiefpavvy

Give a regular Joe (non techie) both units, say an iPhone 4S and a Samsung S III. The regular Joe will immediately know how to operate the 4S (ok, except Obama apparently LMAO) while he/she will spend some frustrating time trying to figure out the Samsung device (despite the nearly 1-for-1 copies of most everything Apple has!)

At the end of the day, you have to realize that specs don't matter. It doesn't matter that [insert Android flavor of the weak here--pun intended] has 4GB of RAM and 8 processing cores. No one really cares. It's the fit and finish, the polish, the overall UI and user experience that matters. Apple has always known that and it's been the key to iPhone's amazing success in the face of hundreds of competing devices over the last 5 years.

I'm not aiming to convince a fAndroid, but you guys really need to get out a bit more. :D :D :D

Technarchy
Why is Samsung getting a free ride on a Mac site. How many Android sites have an iOS forum? I'm sick of hearing from the Samsung shills, who I suspect have been orchestrated somehow by some publicity machine, harping the same tired clichés to people who aren't interested in moving from the apple ecosystem.

I've said it before jokingly, but this time I'm serious, Macrumors should reject non Mac/iOS browsers, before this farce overwhelms the forum and drives away more people than it already has.

Hear hear.

Mrg02d
Number of applications?
Profits of Apple?

That's just a few....

sources? Why don't you go look up some facts bud. Be scientific.

chiefpavvy
Sep 16, 2012, 09:55 PM
come say that on September 21st

iPhone 5 pre-orders total more than every single S III sold thus far. Any bets?

Rennir
Sep 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
1337th commenter here…

Anyways, it's pretty funny how Samsung went this far.

Why? Apple is its competitor. Is this not similar to the PC and Mac ads? I agree Apple did it in a better way, but that's because Apple has always been good with ads. The intent behind both ads are the same though.

What's funny to me is Apple fans' reactions. I mean just read the thread. It's as if they thought Samsung was personally insulting them.

jctevere
Sep 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
Really, no phone was like an iPhone before 2007?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLOGUQouUI

He clearly said no phone OPERATED or LOOKED like the iPhone. Furthermore, even if you don't agree with that claim and think that the LG Prada did operate like an iPhone (which it wasn't even close) and that the overall design is similar enough - there are internal apple documents of the iPhone prototype "purple" dating back to 2005 - which looked EXACTLY like the iPhone 4 now. Way before the LG Prada.

I don't get why people try to debunk Apple as an innovator. Is every thing they create 100% original? No, of course not - certainly they are one of the most innovative tech companies.

If you want to read more about early iPhone designs - look here:
http://www.slashgear.com/2005-iphone-purple-design-revealed-to-squash-samsungs-copy-claims-30240770/

Rennir
Sep 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
Why is Samsung getting a free ride on a Mac site. How many Android sites have an iOS forum? I'm sick of hearing from the Samsung shills, who I suspect have been orchestrated somehow by some publicity machine, harping the same tired clichés to people who aren't interested in moving from the apple ecosystem.

I've said it before jokingly, but this time I'm serious, Macrumors should reject non Mac/iOS browsers, before this farce overwhelms the forum and drives away more people than it already has.

I know Xda does.

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 10:00 PM
Give a regular Joe (non techie) both units, say an iPhone 4S and a Samsung S III. The regular Joe will immediately know how to operate the 4S (ok, except Obama apparently LMAO) while he/she will spend some frustrating time trying to figure out the Samsung device (despite the nearly 1-for-1 copies of most everything Apple has!)

At the end of the day, you have to realize that specs don't matter. It doesn't matter that [insert Android flavor of the weak here--pun intended] has 4GB of RAM and 8 processing cores. No one really cares. It's the fit and finish, the polish, the overall UI and user experience that matters. Apple has always known that and it's been the key to iPhone's amazing success in the face of hundreds of competing devices over the last 5 years.

I'm not aiming to convince a fAndroid, but you guys really need to get out a bit more. :D :D :D

You are wrong.. as soon as you load an ics/jb phone you are greeted with a nice guided tour of everything.

Please dont think for a second iOS is easier to use than Android.. they both have learning curves to a complete new user.

JForestZ34
Sep 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
You are wrong.. as soon as you load an ics/jb phone you are greeted with a nice guided tour of everything.

Please dont think for a second iOS is easier to use than Android.. they both have learning curves to a complete new user.

I will def second this. I have a friend that just went from android to ios. She said she can't figure out how to use her iPhone.

There is a learning curve on every new phone or operating system you get.

James

kdarling
Sep 16, 2012, 10:11 PM

The 1950s called. Joe McCarthy wants you back making blacklists for him.

Here's the deal: with popularity comes diversity by virtue of sheer numbers.

iOS devices aren't owned by just Apple fans. On the contrary, there are no doubt far more iOS iPhone/iPod/iPad owners around the world who do NOT use Macs or have any old loyalty to Apple, than those who do.

The more that iOS devices sell, the more this is true.

No forum in its right mind would cut off its nose to spite its face, by leaving out the majority of iOS users, especially just because they don't always use Mac or iOS browsers to read the posts. Heck, I have tons of iOS devices, but my favorite browsing while laying down is still on a 7" tablet, which of course is only available in Android flavors right now.

Mac-Mac-McAfee
Sep 16, 2012, 10:16 PM
It dosen't take genius too see that Shamsunk is boned after seeing those specs for the iPhone 5. They'll be the next Nokia.

dojoman
Sep 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
And yet even Android users can't even figure out how to use so-called innovative features? One guy even said he mastered how to do screen capture. It just doesn't work.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/583029-motion-mute-phone-issue.html

G51989
Sep 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
It dosen't take genius too see that Shamsunk is boned after seeing those specs for the iPhone 5. They'll be the next Nokia.

They are the biggest smart phone maker in the world, bigger than Apple.

And the iPhone managed to score as high as the S3, because it can't even multi task.

realeric
Sep 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
Shame on you, samesung ! :(

G51989
Sep 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
He clearly said no phone OPERATED or LOOKED like the iPhone. Furthermore, even if you don't agree with that claim and think that the LG Prada did operate like an iPhone (which it wasn't even close) and that the overall design is similar enough - there are internal apple documents of the iPhone prototype "purple" dating back to 2005 - which looked EXACTLY like the iPhone 4 now. Way before the LG Prada.

I don't get why people try to debunk Apple as an innovator. Is every thing they create 100% original? No, of course not - certainly they are one of the most innovative tech companies.

If you want to read more about early iPhone designs - look here:
http://www.slashgear.com/2005-iphone-purple-design-revealed-to-squash-samsungs-copy-claims-30240770/

1: It looks very much like an iPhone, a little more chrome I'll admit
2: It still looks like an iPhone aside from a few more buttons
3: the UI works pretty similar to iOS, other than multi touch ( which apple didn't invent nor implement first ), the UI is pretty close
4: Its about the same size and shape as the first iPhone.

Whats so different about it? They both work and look pretty similar other than Multi Touch, which apple did not develop, or invent. Its been around snice the 80s, and Microsoft put it into the tablet in the early 2000s.

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
And yet even Android users can't even figure out how to use so-called innovative features? One guy even said he mastered how to do screen capture. It just doesn't work.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/583029-motion-mute-phone-issue.html

Nice job at cherry picking one use case! :rolleyes:

flameproof
Sep 16, 2012, 10:23 PM
He clearly said no phone OPERATED or LOOKED like the iPhone.

After 2000 lots of PDAs did had that look and feel. My iPaq 1940 had also icons on the screen. Wasn't a phone though, but some more upmarket iPaqs had GSM functions. Apple made PDAs more phone like.

GravityEyes
Sep 16, 2012, 10:23 PM
Samsung thinks their audience is really that tuned into specs? What a sad, sad attempt at differentiation. I actually feel sorry for Samsung's marketing team.

yeah
Sep 16, 2012, 10:24 PM
Steve wouldv'e never approved of this.

But Samsung's CEO will :rolleyes:

saud0488
Sep 16, 2012, 10:24 PM
Improve upon it how? As yeah it is butt ugly.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

dojoman
Sep 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
Nice job at cherry picking one use case! :rolleyes:

Not cherry picking. If Samsung listed these as features and they don't work what's the point? Useless!!!!

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
Not cherry picking. If Samsung listed these as features and they don't work what's the point? Useless!!!!

Like Siri? Oh wait since its "beta" its all good, right?

Apple would never advertise a feature that doesbt work as intended :rolleyes:

samsandy
Sep 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
Oh ***** iPhone doesn't have smart alarm how will I every live without a smart alarm. Are you Fu#ken serious Samsung!

VanNess
Sep 16, 2012, 11:05 PM

Maybe you should have checked with these guys first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHknjlMGXFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdRBc97KeeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVm1qyUuXI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7JTuITgjU0

FrankieUK
Sep 16, 2012, 11:13 PM
Over 1k replies, this just shows the ad is working haha.

God bless.

----------

Well the iPhone is for uneducated people after all.

Chris CA
Sep 16, 2012, 11:25 PM

Don't forget #9.
Sell less than any phone by Samsung.

mib1800
Sep 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
That Samsung list is not long enough. :p

IP5 missing ALL of following:

HARDWARE
- bigger 4.8in + AMOLED screen
- storage upto 96GB (32Gb + 64Gb external)
- removable battery
- better 2MP front camera + more functional camera app
- USB To Go (direct connect to portable drive, keyboard, game controller, usb-hub etc)
- unrestricted Bluetooth
- Wifi-Direct
- DLNA / Allshare / AllCast
- NFC - direct share/beam, automate phone tasks with TecTiles/tags, NFC payment
- HDMI out (video and UI)
- standard USB-port (no need for proprietary and expensive adapters/cables)

PHONE
- One touch dial/sms (via desktop shortcuts) + Speed dial with phone keypad
- Picture contact/log (incl. grid view) and unlimited call log
- contact sync/integration with fb,tw,skype,g+ etc
- 3G-standard video call
- Motion: Flip to silent, Pick-to-call, Touch for missed call/sms, Tilt to zoom, double-tap to scroll
- multi-purpose LED indicator
- Smart Stay (keep screen on via face detection)
- Built-in call-blocker (to keep away unwanted calls)
- Unrestricted internal storage access via USB (or other connectivity methods)
- File-system
- Full email attachment support

UI
- various desktop launcher UI to cater to any taste
- Widgets (one-glance for essential info)
- Live Wallpaper (aesthetic)
- Lock Screen direct launch
- Quick Toggles in Notification
- Full Multi-Tasking
- Back button for easier back navigation (+ reduces screen space wastage)
- Replaceable keyboard (swype/T9/variants etc)
- Non-centralized settings :p
- Various media format support (avi, divx, mkv etc) - no need for tedious itunes conversion
- Popup-Play
- Web-broswer text reflow (+Flash support)
- UI Font Type/Size selection

APPS (not possible for IOS due to limitations/restrictions)
- Side-loading of apps + browser-based app installation
- Better Google-based services/apps
- Free 50GB drop-box storage
- Plug-and-Play (seamlessly replace built-in apps with 3rd party)
- Intents (manually choose which installed app to launch based on content-type)
- Automation-type apps e.g.
o automaticly switch phone settings (vol, bt, wifi etc) based on events/states/gps/nfc
o phone call recording
o NFC tasks (tectiles) - e.g. tap to call/sms directly (or change phone settings)
o schedule auto send sms/email based on events (birthday, meeting reminders etc)
o auto check-in, auto upload photos/info
o etc etc

dgree03
Sep 16, 2012, 11:40 PM

A baby that age can learn to navigate an iPhone or Android with practice. . :rolleyes:

My 10 month old swipes from screen to screen on my S3 and ipad.

Gnomepatrol
Sep 16, 2012, 11:45 PM
The Korean court found that Apple used Samsung's standards essential wireless patents, not design patents.

Anyway, the US court decision is a big victory for Apple. Yes, courts move at glacial paces, but the burden of proof in an appeal shifts to the losing party. Most of it will be upheld. And no, it was never clear that Apple would win in the US court just because Apple is based in the US. You do a disservice to the jury with that kind of statement.

They disserviced (I know not a real word) themselves. The jury has already proven they had no idea what they were doing. Judge found they ignored crucial evidence and made hasty decisions which then led to a decrease in the fine. They have made Samsung's appeal infinitely easier by opening their mouths post trial.

skellener
Sep 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
It doesn't take a genius....to copy.

cableguy619
Sep 17, 2012, 12:24 AM
Shame you are comparing a change in phone adapter, compared to a companies whole range of products. How many different connections has Apple used for their displays?

lol the shame that Apple thru their range of products has kept the same plug for most devices.

iPod? Ipad? iphone? I use the same adapter.

I own many samsung devices and never noticed it, but I have personally about 10 different cords lol.. primarily cellphones

Funny I have 1 apple cord that works for my ipod, iphone, ipad..

So Shame on Samsung to throw that in an ad lol

OverSpun
Sep 17, 2012, 12:25 AM
Watch out, we've got a badass here...

http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/16/Samsung_Ad_Against_the_Genius.jpg

Rogifan
Sep 17, 2012, 12:33 AM
Spoken like a true fanboy.

Oh so only iPhone fans are "fanboys"? Please....

And yeah go back to some of the tech sites after the S3 was announced. Even Samsung "fanboys" we're disappointed with the look ans feel of the device. It might be the best phone spec wise but certainly isn't in the looks department. Unless of course you love cheap looking glossy plastic. :D

wikus
Sep 17, 2012, 12:38 AM
Maybe they should add a line:

Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents.
Samsung: Found by a court to be infringing design patents.

Too bad you wouldnt mention that only applies in USA where Apple got awarded patents they never should have. Anywhere else in the world, apples been laughed out of court.

28 page application that apple filed for the slide to unlock patent? you really think this is something to boast about?

----------

No, of course not. They're just the ones have been played the best by some bearded guy as if he was big brother only to protect an inferior product by the powers of persuasion....

Wait a minute... I think Jobs was onto something...

http://www.ungraphic.com/stuff/steve_bigbrother_jobs.jpg

Rogifan
Sep 17, 2012, 12:43 AM
Over 1k replies, this just shows the ad is working haha.

God bless.
so the point of this ad was to generate hits on Apple fan sites? :confused: I'm still curious how many will choose an S3 over an iPhone based on this ad. I'm assuming at the end of the day what Samsung wants are sales. If all they get are page hits on tech sites (with arguments between "fanboys") that don't translate into sales how effective was it?

----------

No, of course not. They're just the ones have been played the best by some bearded guy as if he was big brother only to protect an inferior product by the powers of persuasion....

Wait a minute... I think Jobs was onto something...

Image (http://www.ungraphic.com/stuff/steve_bigbrother_jobs.jpg)

hmm...I love my iPhone and it does everything I need it to do. Does that make it an inferior product? If it really was wouldn't people be leaving in droves to the better product(s). Are tens of millions of people around the world all ignorant sheep?

tech4all
Sep 17, 2012, 12:44 AM

No Android Fanboys are FanDroids :p

But seriously, why does there have to be fanboys from either side. It's just childish.

Face it Apple is getting lazy now and this same design with the iPhone supports it. They called a "redesign" when all they did was make it taller. It's a stale design now. Boring! Yea they updated the specs and changed some minor things to the outside, but comon it's the pretty the same thing. Johny Ive has been slacking off if you ask me. I feel like with Steve at the cockpit, Apple is going to loosing it's touch now. We shall see I suppose. Hopefully I'm wrong because I really like Apple and want them to make great products.

And Samsungs ads attacking iPhone users are truly pathetic. Way to insult your target audience. Stupid. Yea Apple made the "I'm a Mac/ I'm a PC ads" but those attacked the product, NOT the customer. Big difference.

mrfrosty
Sep 17, 2012, 12:46 AM
iPhone 5 pre-orders total more than every single S III sold thus far. Any bets?

Sure, my 50 cents against a night with your mum?

RebelScum
Sep 17, 2012, 12:55 AM
Face it Apple is getting lazy now and this same design with the iPhone supports it.

I don't get this logic.

i4 comes out and everyone loses their minds because it's possibly the best designed phone anyone's ever built.

So a couple years later they stick with the design so they can evolve it slightly and now it's crap?

I like the i4. I like that they stuck with the core of its design for the i5. I like that they didn't try to desperately out-design themselves by sticking every bit of plastic and chrome they had lying around the workshop together.

But perhaps that's just me.

mulletman13
Sep 17, 2012, 01:01 AM
I don't get this logic.

i4 comes out and everyone loses their minds because it's possibly the best designed phone anyone's ever built.

So a couple years later they stick with the design so they can evolve it slightly and now it's crap?

I like the i4. I like that they stuck with the core of its design for the i5. I like that they didn't try to desperately out-design themselves by sticking every bit of plastic and chrome they had lying around the workshop together.

Fully agree with you. There's going to become a point in the near future when hardware can only be taken so far. This phone evolves a fantastic design (hell, what is different between the Galaxy S1/S2/S3? Minor differences?) that is minimal, well built, and gorgeous. The real thing that sets the two apart is going to be build quality and software development.

The Geekbench 1000 score benchmark is a frickin' G5. Having a phone that is nearly 1.5x as powerful as that machine is simply astounding; no matter who makes it.

Catdogchicken
Sep 17, 2012, 01:06 AM
Samsung aren't applying the ad to the like of macrumours folk. The ads are for the undecided or the people who just blind buy anything Apple without seeing what else is out there.

Apple can do no wrong in the eyes of the dedicated. They will buy regardless. Some sort of acceptance in that the phone they are buying is cool therefore it makes them cool and accepted.

If they could only open their eyes and see something other than this the market wold be a lot more competitive.

The ad is looking for these people.

One thing is for sure. The last 2 iPhone Keynotes have sure been a dismal affair, noone now to whip the teary eyed audience into a trance like stupor now that jobs is not around.

ani4ani
Sep 17, 2012, 01:07 AM

Let's face it, who does?

Rogifan
Sep 17, 2012, 01:12 AM
Cell Phones & Wireless Service: Apple’s Debut Changes the Game (http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281:press-release-may-2012&catid=13&Itemid=357)

Starting this year, the ACSI has expanded its coverage of the cell phone industry, adding another four companies to the roster of cell phone firms. Customer satisfaction with the cell phone industry (part of the manufacturing/durable goods sector) slips 1.3% to 74, while wireless service drops 1.4% to 70.

For many users, the advent of smartphone technology has dramatically changed what they look for in a cell phone device. Two smartphones makers, Apple and Research in Motion (RIM), enter the ACSI with very different results. At 83, Apple (iPhone) leads the field by a long shot, while RIM (Blackberry) lags behind as the least satisfying at 69.

“Companies with weak customer satisfaction often have weak stock performance,” notes Fornell. “RIM’s sales are slumping amid a bevy of problems, from hardware and software issues to server lapses that have caused email and messaging outages. Over the past year, share price for RIM has virtually collapsed.”

At 83, Apple’s iPhone is a game changer when it comes to customer satisfaction. No other cell phone company has ever broken into the 80s. Apple’s nearest competitors this year are three companies tied at 75: Nokia (+3%) and ACSI newcomers LG and HTC.

Motorola declines 5% to 73 and ties the aggregate of smaller manufacturers (-1%). This may be unwelcome news for Google as it hopes to make the most of its Motorola acquisition and widen the user base for its Android operating system. Samsung, another company that relies heavily on Android, backtracks 4% to a below-average score of 71.

On the service side, the aggregation of smaller carriers (such as TracFone and U.S. Cellular) maintains a strong lead at 76, despite a small downturn (-1%). All companies show modest ACSI declines except for AT&T Mobility. Last year, customer satisfaction for AT&T and T-Mobile tumbled amid merger talks. This year, AT&T recoups its loss (+5%), but only to tie T-Mobile (-1%) at 69. On the other hand, AT&T is now close to rival Verizon (-3% to 70), whose score has dwindled over three years. At 71, Sprint Nextel nominally grabs first place among the big carriers and holds nearly steady (-1%) following three years of swift ACSI progress (up from 56 in 2008).

iPhone tops J.D. Power's satisfaction list for the 7th time (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/03/16/iphone-tops-j-d-powers-satisfaction-list-for-the-7th-time/)

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/screen-shot-2012-03-16-at-6-54-14-am.png

----------

I don't get this logic.

Look at the Lumia 800, 900 and 920. All basically the same design aesthetically. But it's a great design so who cares?

jctevere
Sep 17, 2012, 01:23 AM
That Samsung list is not long enough. :p

HARDWARE
- removable battery
- USB To Go (direct connect to portable drive, keyboard, game controller, usb-hub etc)
- unrestricted Bluetooth
- Wifi-Direct

PHONE
- 3G-standard video call
- Motion: Flip to silent, Pick-to-call, Touch for missed call/sms, Tilt to zoom, double-tap to scroll
- File-system

UI
- Full Multi-Tasking
- Non-centralized settings :p
- Various media format support (avi, divx, mkv etc) - no need for tedious itunes conversion
- Popup-Play

o automaticly switch phone settings (vol, bt, wifi etc) based on events/states/gps/nfc
o phone call recording
o NFC tasks (tectiles) - e.g. tap to call/sms directly (or change phone settings)
o schedule auto send sms/email based on events (birthday, meeting reminders etc)
o etc etc

LMFAO - the fact that you took all this time trying to compile this list shows exactly what Samsung Galaxy S3 owners are missing... A life!

xraytech
Sep 17, 2012, 01:23 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2-AKp8CEAAzcPE.jpg:large

JosephKr
Sep 17, 2012, 01:38 AM
I found it entertaining.

Welcome to advertising.

It is no worse than this that I have seen(which I still found humorous):

So now Samsung is REALLY stupid because they have just come out and admitted that their device is a total 100% (possibly more if you're a Sammy fan and want to count some of the useless bloatware they include) copy of the iPhone. How convenient for the ITC and others who need to make some decisions very shortly.

The level of advertising incompetence on Samsung's part is just breathtaking!

matttye
Sep 17, 2012, 01:41 AM
So now Samsung is REALLY stupid because they have just come out and admitted that their device is a total 100% (possibly more if you're a Sammy fan and want to count some of the useless bloatware they include) copy of the iPhone. How convenient for the ITC and others who need to make some decisions very shortly.

The level of advertising incompetence on Samsung's part is just breathtaking!

Did you miss the "weknowmemes" logo? It's not an actual Samsung ad.

jafingi
Sep 17, 2012, 02:01 AM
Haha, I actually like how they point out how the battery is removable.

When would you ever need to do this? Furthermore, the NFC antenna in the S3 is BUILT INTO THE BATTERY. So if you want to replace it, you'd have to buy one directly from Samsung (probably expensive) to have NFC working.

Then it's totally the same as having to walk into an Apple Store and get it replaced by a genius.

FrankieUK
Sep 17, 2012, 02:19 AM
This ad will certainly work, s3 sold more than the 4s if I remember correctly so when the iPhone 5 comes out that will beat the s3 and when the s4 comes out that will beat the iPhone 5. Its just going to go on and on like that.

sam.dg
Sep 17, 2012, 02:28 AM
http://s16.postimage.org/inxk7x385/image.jpg

tekno
Sep 17, 2012, 02:31 AM
The iPhone 5 is an exceptionally good phone. The Galaxy S3 is also an exceptionally good phone.

Personally I have no allegiance to either Apple or Samsung and have chosen the phone that most suits my needs and budget. And next year I may well switch to the opposite side if they make a better phone. My choice of phone says nothing about me, nor puts me in a particular group, nor means I need to berate someone for picking a rival phone. Neither Apple nor Samsung are my 'friend' and they don't deserve my undying support - all they want is my money.

I'm going to leave all the competition and petty arguments/court cases to the manufacturers and just enjoy my choice of phone.

I would suggest you all do the same!

steveOooo
Sep 17, 2012, 02:39 AM
3. The S3 is a nice concept but the phone is too big. A friend of mine has one, I hate holding it. I don't have gorilla hands and he can't even use it with one hand. You must use two. Not everyone wants a five inch holder or a five inch bulge in their pocket.

Yeah my missus wants a good 8inches - WAHEY :D - 'Thats what she said'

rkx
Sep 17, 2012, 02:47 AM
I love what the fine print says:

Above listed features are representative, not all inclusive.

Always good to read the fine print!;):D

chr1s60
Sep 17, 2012, 02:56 AM
Haha, I actually like how they point out how the battery is removable.

When would you ever need to do this? Furthermore, the NFC antenna in the S3 is BUILT INTO THE BATTERY. So if you want to replace it, you'd have to buy one directly from Samsung (probably expensive) to have NFC working.

Then it's totally the same as having to walk into an Apple Store and get it replaced by a genius.

Some people believe that carrying around a battery everywhere is not an inconvenience but carrying a charger is. I am guessing the owners of iPhones and the S3 carry a charger with them certain places like work or school. I had 2 backup batteries for my Samsung Captivate and they were more of an inconvenience than anything else. Realistically the removable battery is an advantage only to people on the go completely away from outlets for an extended period of time. Then again, with an iPhone you could buy a battery case for that same scenario.

MonkeySee....
Sep 17, 2012, 03:02 AM
Gotta love all the fan kiddies who think they know how to run an ad agency or a corporation. The only thing you've proven is you know how to run your mouth. good on ya though, hope all is better after your little tantrum about the ad.
You see, this thread has over 1000 responses and more importantly over 91,000 views. I'd say Misssion Accomplished for Sammy. ;)

So what do you think was the point of the ad?

Sensation
Sep 17, 2012, 03:22 AM
This ad is great, I want an S3 so much :(

mib1800
Sep 17, 2012, 03:35 AM
LMFAO - the fact that you took all this time trying to compile this list shows exactly what Samsung Galaxy S3 owners are missing... A life!

I have this list for eons (S2 release time) ago. I just added a few new points.
Sad fact is that the list gets longer and longer with every new Android release. Just to show how stagnant the iphone functionalities are compared to its competitors.

MH01
Sep 17, 2012, 03:43 AM
HAHAHA, did you even see those commercials please try harder. Funny with no statement except PC have issues. Which they do. No direct attack on any company or maker but hey those who do not see make stuff up.

----------

haha we have pc people trolling a mac rumor site I love it.

"Funny with no Statement" .... "except for PC have issues" WTF? ha ha ha ha... facepalm right there.. wow wow...

Reality check bud, PCs and Macs have their share of issues. I use both, and have had my share of BSOD and Spinning beachballs.

PC people rolling Mac rumours, Geez I did not see the sign where it said I HAD to use a mac exclusively to post on here. Heck you might even realise one day that a mac is a PC, capable of running OS X and Windows, guess you never worked out how to install bootcamp... now that is more HA HA HA HA!

k995
Sep 17, 2012, 03:48 AM
You neglected this part:
"Samsung has also been ordered to stop sales of infringing products, but the affected devices are older models, rather than its current generation."

South Korea Court Says Samsung, Apple Infringed Each Other's Patents (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444812704577608242792921450.html)

No the statement was "apple was never condemned for patent infringement"

mib1800
Sep 17, 2012, 03:50 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted...

Image (http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2-AKp8CEAAzcPE.jpg:large)

Geez :p . I think the one who made this list needs to do research more. It is just laughable.

Just to point out SOME errors
720p video rec front camera /panaroma - available for S3. S3 front cam is 1.9MP vs 1.2MP in ip5.
share function - infinitely more capable on S3
Quad Core? - seems ip5 only have 2 cores (likely an updated exynos dual core used in S2/Note)
Apple Map? - definitely a regression compared to Google Map.

kaushalsubba
Sep 17, 2012, 03:51 AM
Guys... this is a real picture of how the ad should look like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ksubba/7995299729/sizes/h/in/photostream/

:p

\-V-/
Sep 17, 2012, 03:56 AM
Apple Map? - definitely a regression compared to Google Map.
No, it's a progression of the garbage that was on there before. Google Maps on iOS 5 is the reason I bought the TomTom app. >_>

warptweet
Sep 17, 2012, 04:09 AM
love how the iPhone is turned "off" while the SIII is on showing the home screen.

marketing at its finest lol.

Having owned numerous android devices I just can't take the lag anymore. Looking forward to my iPhone 5:cool:

iKing7
Sep 17, 2012, 04:18 AM
Samsung....

DUUUUURRRPPPP!!!

nim81
Sep 17, 2012, 04:26 AM
Yawn. Not sure why that enormous screen became a "feature". Quite personally I'd have preferred the iPhone to keep the same size screen as the 4S, never mind that monstrosity on the Samsung.

And stupid to compare the resolutions like that since the Samsung will need a bigger resolution to look the same on its massive screen.

The Galaxy is a good phone, but these wars of specs are retarded and its only geeks that care about them - normal people only care about if it works the way they want to.

nba1341
Sep 17, 2012, 04:45 AM
That Samsung list is not long enough.

HARDWARE
- removable battery
- unrestricted Bluetooth
- Wifi-Direct

PHONE
- 3G-standard video call
- File-system

UI
- Full Multi-Tasking
- Non-centralized settings
- Popup-Play

o phone call recording
o etc etcLMFAO - the fact that you took all this time trying to compile this list shows exactly what Samsung Galaxy S3 owners are missing... A life!

That is a red herring. You did not address the previous quoted post at all you just issued a personal attack instead.

nedman
Sep 17, 2012, 04:59 AM
Sorry but this sums up this advert for me,

Apple: A totally different "plug"
Samsung: Standard mini usb "plug"

And here is me thinking it was a "connector"

Come on you bunch of samsung marketing clowns. If your going to insult your biggest competitor at least try and not sound like a bunch of angry 5 year olds!

matttye
Sep 17, 2012, 05:03 AM
No, it's a progression of the garbage that was on there before. Google Maps on iOS 5 is the reason I bought the TomTom app. >_>

Apple maps are awful, they have hardly any street level detail and instead opted for gimmicky features like flyover.

flameproof
Sep 17, 2012, 05:27 AM
Quad Core? - seems ip5 only have 2 cores (likely an updated exynos dual core used in S2/Note)

IMHO the number of cores are totally irrelevant. It says nothing about how hardware and software are working together. Same for RAM.

Can only say that the iPhone 4 is getting sluggish when i.e. the camera is open in the background.

KPOM
Sep 17, 2012, 06:03 AM
Too bad you wouldnt mention that only applies in USA where Apple got awarded patents they never should have. Anywhere else in the world, apples been laughed out of court.

They have won lawsuits in Germany and the Netherlands as well. Where they have lost is in countries like the UK where trespassing isn't even a crime and squatter's rights are sacrosanct (i.e. there is less overall protection for property rights).

----------

They disserviced (I know not a real word) themselves. The jury has already proven they had no idea what they were doing. Judge found they ignored crucial evidence and made hasty decisions which then led to a decrease in the fine. They have made Samsung's appeal infinitely easier by opening their mouths post trial.

The judge has made no such determinations and hasn't even heard Samsung's requests to review the ruling. The judge allowed Samsung to review the verdict form for consistency, and they found two minor items that reduced the $1.05 billion by a whopping $200,000. Most, if not all of this will be upheld on appeal. None of what came out after the trial has any bearing on the validity of the verdict. It isn't as if they came out with evidence of tampering.

But why let facts get in the way of a story?

Elit3
Sep 17, 2012, 06:03 AM
What awesome facts? I like the design (exterior look), the black looks MUCH better than the SGS3. But the specs don't appeal. I am going to go through a few 'new awesome features' of the iPhone 5 and give my opinion:
LTE: PFFFFT, Android has had that for a WHILE.
Panorama Mode: Again Android has had that for a few years.
Apple Maps: Will not compare to Google Maps. It just can't, google have been at it for a while. Google Maps you can now download, to use offline. :O
Getting rid of YouTube App: I hated that app when I had my iOS devices (but still bad)
EarPods: Amazing, good cheap option.
Quad-Core A6: Um....Nice it's quad-core, again android has had that since the One X, oh and isn't it manufactured by Samsung, the creators of the SGS3, hahahhaha
Thinnest Smartphone ever: It's funny no one brings that up, IT'S A LIE! The thinnest smartphone ever is the 'ZTE Athena'. Sorry, but that's called false advertising.
New Plug: I have a different opinion on this. FINALLY! The got a smaller plug it was annoying :P
Screen Size: PLEASE, you can get from 3.5" to 5.5" with android.
Screen Resolution: 1136 x 640? WHAT why didn't they go all the way to HD? O.o
Siri: Is DEFINITELY better than S-Voice. BUT Google Voice Search is much better. Siri is that $2 toy that you always wanted and then throw away 2 days after you get it. S-Voice is that crap toy no one ever wants. And Google Voice Search is a reliable, fast, fun toy, that you will always use.
1 GB Ram: Okay this is normal, actually good. The International version (the better sgs3 version) has this (the Korean version had 2GB and a quad-core).
Lack of NFC: Just disappointing Apple.
Nano Sim: AWESOME, but a pain to switch.
STILL NOT OPEN SOURCE: This is for geeks basically, but come on, it would make much better apps.
I believe I have covered it.

szw-mapple fan
Sep 17, 2012, 06:11 AM
They are just acting out of spite.
The screen size comparison is just ridiculous. iPhone has definitely got a screen size just right for one handed use.

Prallethrin
Sep 17, 2012, 06:20 AM
We should just ignore them. You know the old saying, "Don't feed the trolls.".

Apple is in the limelight now, Samsung is desperate for some of it. Don't give them what they want.

Neodym
Sep 17, 2012, 06:22 AM
It is important that both the iPhone and the Galaxy will continue to grow in size:

http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-21862-05056048784d37.jpeg

:D

Datalinks
Sep 17, 2012, 06:35 AM
They are using an iPhone image for commercial purposes...sue them!

Elit3
Sep 17, 2012, 07:10 AM
We should just ignore them. You know the old saying, "Don't feed the trolls.".

Apple is in the limelight now, Samsung is desperate for some of it. Don't give them what they want.

O.o You do realise that 48% of phones sold are now Samsung *facepalm*

Oh and Putting an iPhone is there advert is COMPLETELY legal, actually it's stupid. Samsung are being arrogant and in doing so giving Apple free Advertising.

KnightWRX
Sep 17, 2012, 07:15 AM
They have won lawsuits in Germany and the Netherlands as well.

They lost big in the Netherlands. You'd have to apply a pretty big spin job to say they "won" (a single patent held up, and Samsung issued a patch and got the injunction lifted before it even began). They also lost many patents in the Netherlands, not to mention all their design claims.

There has been no decision as far as I know in Germany yet. Only a preliminary injunction.

So please.

Rogifan
Sep 17, 2012, 07:30 AM
Cell Phones & Wireless Service: Apple’s Debut Changes the Game (http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281:press-release-may-2012&catid=13&Itemid=357)

Starting this year, the ACSI has expanded its coverage of the cell phone industry, adding another four companies to the roster of cell phone firms. Customer satisfaction with the cell phone industry (part of the manufacturing/durable goods sector) slips 1.3% to 74, while wireless service drops 1.4% to 70.

For many users, the advent of smartphone technology has dramatically changed what they look for in a cell phone device. Two smartphones makers, Apple and Research in Motion (RIM), enter the ACSI with very different results. At 83, Apple (iPhone) leads the field by a long shot, while RIM (Blackberry) lags behind as the least satisfying at 69.

“Companies with weak customer satisfaction often have weak stock performance,” notes Fornell. “RIM’s sales are slumping amid a bevy of problems, from hardware and software issues to server lapses that have caused email and messaging outages. Over the past year, share price for RIM has virtually collapsed.”

At 83, Apple’s iPhone is a game changer when it comes to customer satisfaction. No other cell phone company has ever broken into the 80s. Apple’s nearest competitors this year are three companies tied at 75: Nokia (+3%) and ACSI newcomers LG and HTC.

Motorola declines 5% to 73 and ties the aggregate of smaller manufacturers (-1%). This may be unwelcome news for Google as it hopes to make the most of its Motorola acquisition and widen the user base for its Android operating system. Samsung, another company that relies heavily on Android, backtracks 4% to a below-average score of 71.

On the service side, the aggregation of smaller carriers (such as TracFone and U.S. Cellular) maintains a strong lead at 76, despite a small downturn (-1%). All companies show modest ACSI declines except for AT&T Mobility. Last year, customer satisfaction for AT&T and T-Mobile tumbled amid merger talks. This year, AT&T recoups its loss (+5%), but only to tie T-Mobile (-1%) at 69. On the other hand, AT&T is now close to rival Verizon (-3% to 70), whose score has dwindled over three years. At 71, Sprint Nextel nominally grabs first place among the big carriers and holds nearly steady (-1%) following three years of swift ACSI progress (up from 56 in 2008).

iPhone tops J.D. Power's satisfaction list for the 7th time (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/03/16/iphone-tops-j-d-powers-satisfaction-list-for-the-7th-time/)

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/screen-shot-2012-03-16-at-6-54-14-am.png[COLOR="#808080"]

Prime85
Sep 17, 2012, 07:38 AM
Yes... I'm sure a die hard Apple fanboy from this site actually bought a non-Apple product.

No one said I was a die hard apple fanboy. I joined this site for my MBP.

seaneji
Sep 17, 2012, 07:38 AM
IMO
1. Samsung is good at manufacturing in bulk. Just show them how to make it one unit, they will make billions of units. You don't need much intelligence to do that. Thats why Apple outsourcing their components to Samsung.
2. But Samsung wants to be like Apple, but they cannot. If Samsung is good enough people will accept it. Apple came to telephone market in 2007 only. But samsung was in the market well before. Why they weren't famous in the telephone industry before 2007 like NOKIA? Suddenly Samsung engineers became genius after 2007 :)
3. Putting more spec is waste of resource, if you don't get the performance according to that. If SGS3 cannot give double speed and smooth than iPhone 4S (some people claims SGS3 is a beast ), there is no point in spec argument. Quality is more important than quantity. All big things are not the best!
4. If you support Android because it is open source, read what google is doing, http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19601341
Google is as evil as both MS and Apple.

Amazing Iceman
Sep 17, 2012, 07:47 AM
They need to add under the ram portion "2gb of ram but lags like hell anyway"

That's the main reason I am switching from the S3 to the iPhone5.

That lag issue could be solved easily. We just need to hope the fellows at XDA feel like porting iOS to the S3. :D

----------

Sorry but this sums up this advert for me,

Apple: A totally different "plug"
Samsung: Standard mini usb "plug"

And here is me thinking it was a "connector"

Come on you bunch of samsung marketing clowns. If your going to insult your biggest competitor at least try and not sound like a bunch of angry 5 year olds!

That's because most of their clients act like a bunch of angry 5 year olds!

KPOM
Sep 17, 2012, 07:57 AM
They lost big in the Netherlands. You'd have to apply a pretty big spin job to say they "won" (a single patent held up, and Samsung issued a patch and got the injunction lifted before it even began). They also lost many patents in the Netherlands, not to mention all their design claims.

There has been no decision as far as I know in Germany yet. Only a preliminary injunction.

So please.

Courts generally won't issue a preliminary injunction unless they think the broader case is probable of holding up.

ryhollingsworth
Sep 17, 2012, 08:01 AM
never done this before but couldn't resist:

http://ryanhollingsworth.com/images/samsung.jpg

Muro
Sep 17, 2012, 08:04 AM
And BIG it is, just like their refridgerators.

alfistas
Sep 17, 2012, 08:06 AM
What awesome facts? I like the design (exterior look), the black looks MUCH better than the SGS3. But the specs don't appeal. I am going to go through a few 'new awesome features' of the iPhone 5 and give my opinion:
LTE: PFFFFT, Android has had that for a WHILE.
Panorama Mode: Again Android has had that for a few years.
Apple Maps: Will not compare to Google Maps. It just can't, google have been at it for a while. Google Maps you can now download, to use offline. :O
Getting rid of YouTube App: I hated that app when I had my iOS devices (but still bad)
EarPods: Amazing, good cheap option.
Quad-Core A6: Um....Nice it's quad-core, again android has had that since the One X, oh and isn't it manufactured by Samsung, the creators of the SGS3, hahahhaha
Thinnest Smartphone ever: It's funny no one brings that up, IT'S A LIE! The thinnest smartphone ever is the 'ZTE Athena'. Sorry, but that's called false advertising.
New Plug: I have a different opinion on this. FINALLY! The got a smaller plug it was annoying :P
Screen Size: PLEASE, you can get from 3.5" to 5.5" with android.
Screen Resolution: 1136 x 640? WHAT why didn't they go all the way to HD? O.o
Siri: Is DEFINITELY better than S-Voice. BUT Google Voice Search is much better. Siri is that $2 toy that you always wanted and then throw away 2 days after you get it. S-Voice is that crap toy no one ever wants. And Google Voice Search is a reliable, fast, fun toy, that you will always use.
1 GB Ram: Okay this is normal, actually good. The International version (the better sgs3 version) has this (the Korean version had 2GB and a quad-core).
Lack of NFC: Just disappointing Apple.
Nano Sim: AWESOME, but a pain to switch.
STILL NOT OPEN SOURCE: This is for geeks basically, but come on, it would make much better apps.
I believe I have covered it.

Ehm,you describe all the "benefits" of android versus ios. What is your argument exactly? That you won't buy an ios device because you're a brainwashed android fanboy?? that makes no sense. Why did you even bother to come to this forum?

A lot of you fandroids don't get it. Android is a lost cause because there are no good apps for it. And that is YOUR FAULT! You like talking up your supposedly favorite mobile os but you don't prove it with your wallets!! No money No developers!!

Tiger8
Sep 17, 2012, 08:12 AM
jealousy is a hell of a drug

Shaun, UK
Sep 17, 2012, 08:24 AM
Whether or not Samsung makes excellent products is what's in dispute. What is in dispute is did they make them on their own, or did they get the benefit of Apple's R&D without having to pay for it?

Hint: A jury found the latter (in spades - look up the word "willful" sometime) and that's the core issue.

A jury in the US found they did. But other courts around the world have found the opposite. It's not as black and white as you suggest. And a number of commentators have suggested the US verdict will go to appeal where it might be overturned. There is a long way to go in this patent battle. In the end I don't think anyone will win or lose in a clear cut manner. It will probably all end in one giant cross-licensing deal.

I think there is a big difference between copying someone's work and taking inspiration from it. Steve Jobs himself that "Good artists copy, great artists steal, and we intend to be great artists". Makes you think.

mlblacy
Sep 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
maybe this would be more accurate...

https://img.skitch.com/20120917-rububamj1kp3fgc8bcj53fs7bs.preview.jpg (https://skitch.com/sassafras/eu7q1/ad-fixed)Click for large view (https://skitch.com/sassafras/eu7q1/ad-fixed) - Uploaded with Skitch (http://skitch.com)

kdarling
Sep 17, 2012, 08:33 AM

Absolutely. Users have to be shown the basics on any system. Even pinch-to-zoom isn't "intuitive" unless you've been told about it. As for all the "secret" modes mobile OSes have, don't get me started. E.g. the iOS wiggling icons mode. Lots of people never read instructions :)

(videos of babies and iPhones snipped)

Yep, kids can learn on anything.

As a touch developer, my house is full of touch devices. Before the iPhone was even a dream at Apple, my youngest daughter was using touchscreen Windows XP laptops and Windows CE handhelds. She exclusively used touch from one year old to about five, before switching to a kid-sized mouse.

Just as with anyone, she did have to be shown a few main gestures, especially what Back meant on a browser. Afterwards, using her own experimentation, she not only learned tons of menus and subactions, but even how to drag and drop items... on a resistive screen, no less. Heck, I can barely do that. Even better, the built-in stylus handwriting recognition on one handheld allowed her to learn to write the alphabet early on. (If she didn't write a letter well enough, it wouldn't recognize it.)

(above: her second birthday, in 2004, using Flash based games on a touchscreen Panasonic Toughbook.)

Having grown up with multiple systems, she is totally at home using touch on Windows, OSX, iOS, and Android. Interestingly, while she prefers a Macbook now for social interaction, she prefers Android on tabets and phones because of the Back button to retrace her steps.

b33g33
Sep 17, 2012, 08:36 AM
Samsung is so petty.

Apple has plenty of features that Samsung/Google don't mention in that ad, such as iCloud, which is FAR more integrated and reliable than Google.

Plus, "tilt to zoom", are you kidding me?

******** ad, and it shouldn't take a genius to realize that :rolleyes:

Seriously? Do you have any idea how extensive and powerful the Google cloud solutions are?

iCloud is like a bicycle to the Google 911 GT3.

Also, before you call me a Android phanboy, I have an original iPhone, 3Gs, 4s, MacBook Pro (2011), iPod touch as well as Apple stock.

Your statement is as ignorant and misleading as the Samsung ad.

Apple is still playing catch-up when it comes to cloud services. Google and Amazon have a HUGE headstart and even MS is ahead of Apple in some areas (like cloud based Application offerings)

jukeboxjoe
Sep 17, 2012, 08:36 AM
I think Apple published this add. If I was an S3 owner I'd be as embarrassed by it as I am embarrassed by Apple's use of "genius".

Could Samsung give any more attention to a competitor in their own ads?

And "a totally different plug"?! Who wrote this? I'm telling you, it's an Apple insider working at Samsung! (And Samsung has their own insider promoting the word "genius" at Apple).

If you like a bigger phone, get the S3. If you like a phone that fits your hand better, get the iPhone. The bashing (to me) just makes whoever you're bashing look better.

And sorry, but the iPhone, even turned off, looks cooler in the ad.

bl4nkg3neration
Sep 17, 2012, 08:39 AM
Apple should just put out a counter poster that reads: "It doesn't take a genius... to copy someone else."

Frobozz
Sep 17, 2012, 08:45 AM
I forgot, when was this a feature bullet-point competition, Sammy? That's right ... it's not. It's about the platform. iOS versus Android. So, to be clear, you should totally go with Sammy if you:

Don't mind using Android–*you can't tell the difference, we swear!
Like cutting edge features that you can't use with anyone else.
Enjoy hand cramps and awkward battles with your pants pocket.
Don't really like Apps that much.
Are the contrarian in your group of friends.

To be clear, you do not Save money– you can buy an iPhone at every price point from $0 to $400. So what's the point, again?

cynics
Sep 17, 2012, 08:52 AM
Ehm,you describe all the "benefits" of android versus ios. What is your argument exactly? That you won't buy an ios device because you're a brainwashed android fanboy?? that makes no sense. Why did you even bother to come to this forum?

A lot of you fandroids don't get it. Android is a lost cause because there are no good apps for it. And that is YOUR FAULT! You like talking up your supposedly favorite mobile os but you don't prove it with your wallets!! No money No developers!!

There are plenty of good apps. All the big name devs make apps for both. And I don't have much of a use for small no name devs that make crappy apps.

Devs can really make some cool apps with Android because of its openness. I use an app called "gps essentials" when camping and it's awesome. I also use apps like twonky and double twist to stream content to Apple TV, ps3, Xbox or any sort of dln server. Tasker is a very powerful automation app. None are not available on iOS.

I have found a couple games that aren't in the play store but all the big ones are. But the games it lack it makes up for 10 fold with easy to use emulators for (nes, snes, n64, ps1). In the end I'm not a huge gamer. And with an app like "USB/BT joystick center" you can just play your favorite game controller or use blue tooth and enjoy your games with a real controller.

I'll agree there might not be a direct port of every app but there are similar alternative, some worse and some better.

Point is, the app store has plenty of nice clean polished apps. But to say android doesn't is just incorrect plus for android they can be more powerful and plenty of opportunities for apps that just can't work on iOS due too restrictions. I don't have a single app on my iPhone that's not available for Android except a couple gps apps (there's no competition with google) and a sudoku app that I like the layout of better then anything I can find on android. I have plenty of apps that aren't available for iOS though.

No root using a ps3 controller everything hooked up with cables I had laying around.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/ga8yzede.jpg

Shaun, UK
Sep 17, 2012, 08:52 AM
The shear level of hypocrisy on this forum is staggering. If Apple ran exactly the same ad everyone would be praising them and saying how good the iPhone was because it has so many more features than the S3. Now it's oh well we don't need all those useful features anyway. Just makes me laugh how myopic some people are when it comes to Apple.

b33g33
Sep 17, 2012, 08:57 AM
I forgot, when was this a feature bullet-point competition, Sammy? That's right ... it's not. It's about the platform. iOS versus Android. So, to be clear, you should totally go with Sammy if you:

To be clear, you do not Save money– you can buy an iPhone at every price point from $0 to $400. So what's the point, again?

Android is getting better according to everyone with each new iteration. If you analyze the statement, you could ask what the benchmark is. What is Android trying to compare itself to?

If you ask someone at Google, they will tell you that it is iOS. Until Jellybean, android was like a shadow-puppet version of iOS. Jerky, prone to all kinds of weird stutters and lag.

This ad was a monumentally stupid decision by Samsung because not only does it provide free publicity to Apple (even with the screen off, the iPhone looks 'classier' to me than the generic Samsung) it also highlights the fact that their 'next best thing' isn't even on the latest version of Android (and may take months to get there.)

Samsung. Hoisted by their own petard.

Dwalls90
Sep 17, 2012, 09:06 AM
I am switching because of iCloud. I don't know what services that you are referring to as reliable. But I have had nothing but issues.
And this is coming from a person who has used .Mac/.me/.icloud since 2002.
Has 3 iphones, a couple of itouchs, and lots of ipods. The only thing that seems to work right is iTunes and music in the cloud. The rest of it is pretty much crap. HTML 5 is great but I fee like Apple is abusing it and we have reverted back to 1997 when the web had all kinds of things to make your trasition from paper to the screen more visiually freindly. Someone might want to tell them that it is 2012 and having leather on the screen does not make anything more functional or eligant its just ugly. Just look at the iCloud version of the notes app. There is almost 2" of the list covered with a leather looking corner. And the highighting is with a red circle....... :eek:
I must have gotten lucky the last time around with the mobile me transition because for the most part I had no issues. But when you pay for something for so long and then it just to go away with no real solution like getting your calendars and tasks to show up on your non upgradeable snow leopard. I finally got mail to work, but the amount of searching for the solution was not cool. Why not just release a control panel for the new service. That way even if somethings will not work, at least you would not have to pull your hair out trying to get your email.
And I don't know but this seems to have carried over from mobile me. Duplicate contacts. Especially ones that have not been changed in years. How is it possible to end up with 23 for Apple alone. Anyway, restarting the sync helps for a while and we will see if it holds this time, but it is pretty annoying.
And as for why I would like to use Mail on snow leopard as opposed to the web client, I have been using mail for enough years and have lots of rules. And since icloud the rules doen't sync between clients anymore, and don't show up in the rules on the web interface? Who let this crap go is what I want to know. It might be easier to take if they would show us the road map and at least let us know if some of this is coming back.

As for the phones. I just picked up a Gnex unlocked. So far it's great and everything is working really well. Transition was easier than I though it would be. NFC is pretty cool. Using at the grocery store, and Home Depot to pay. And as a old time palm user, I hope more things get the NFC beam to share function.

So your hiccup with iCloud is more or less that you don't like how it's presented? Fine, we are all entitled to our personal preference over how our technology LOOKS. If you like the design of Android, then EXCELLENT, use Android ... why are you on these forums again? I'm not running around the Android forums talking about how ugly it is.

I have never had any problems with iCloud syncing. Google sync on the other hand, couldn't even keep my contact pictures synced properly. Not to mention it would shrink or delete the contact photos to my Android ICS phone. :rolleyes:

Pretty basic features that Google has issues with, for contacts alone:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3888102?start=0&tstart=0

http://blog.oxplot.com/2012/06/syncing-high-resolution-contact-photos.html

Apple pokes fun at all of it's competition. Not only in the "I'm A Mac" commercials, but also in their keynotes. If you've ever paid attention you'll realise that in EVERY keynote they always put figures up about how Android is down and iOS is up, or how RIM is down and Apple are up etc (and I'll add that sources are strangely missing a lot of the time).

But then when Samsung throws out one ad as seen here, everyone says Samsung are pathetic.

It's disturbing how some people just can't look at things objectively without Apple's influence. But then again I am on Macrumors where I doubt most people can think for themselves without their feelings for Apple getting in the way.

What's happening here is simply Samsung fighting fire with fire. Get over it. It's a phone.

Apple puts out STATISTICS and FACTS. Putting sales out there for the public to see isn't really wrong.

That said, I NEVER commended Apple, or any company, for it's small campaign of petty advertising. It's immature and annoying for everyone involved. However, it should be very clear that Samsung took no initiative to even include Apple's equivalent features, while listing pointless ones of their own (i.e. Tilt to zoom, pinch to zoom, ect.). That just CRIES desperate on Samsung's behalf.

So your only defense is iCloud... really? Come on. Anything else? G-mail is very reliable, thank you very much and does the same things iCloud can do. Except "Find my iPhone" but that's because they don't have iPhones LOL (Oh by the way, I have an iPhone but I'm going to switch to Android)

This Ad literally made my day. I'm sorry to all out there offended but Apple did the exact same thing with the Mac vs Pc Ads they ran a long time ago. Calm your horses y'all.

iCloud syncs contacts way more reliably for me at least (see above for common other problems).

Calendars are the same on both platforms, pretty basic functionality.

Gmail doesn't offer native push email services on OSX and is a PITA to set up on iOS. Please, don't tell me to use my browser, my mail client works perfectly.

Google doesn't seem to offer notes or reminders, at all.

iTunes Match is FAR better, more reliable and seamless than Google Play, hands down. Even Fandroids admit it.

Please, point out an aspect of mobile cloud services, where Google KICKS Apple's ass.

Seriously? Do you have any idea how extensive and powerful the Google cloud solutions are?

iCloud is like a bicycle to the Google 911 GT3.

Also, before you call me a Android phanboy, I have an original iPhone, 3Gs, 4s, MacBook Pro (2011), iPod touch as well as Apple stock.

Your statement is as ignorant and misleading as the Samsung ad.

Apple is still playing catch-up when it comes to cloud services. Google and Amazon have a HUGE headstart and even MS is ahead of Apple in some areas (like cloud based Application offerings)

That's quite an arrogant statement with no proof to back it up.

Like I said above, please explain to me WHICH cloud services of Google's, are so powerful to the typical smartphone user.

I'm trying to use my smartphone for work and personal use, not launch a NASA space ship using cloud services :rolleyes: Point is, at least for OSX and iOS users (this isn't an Android forum), Google's cloud services are sub par to iCloud in every way imaginable.

Elit3
Sep 17, 2012, 09:08 AM

No, I was stating my opinion of iOS 6/ iPhone 5, and actually i have had an iPod, 2 iPhones, and my whole family a part from me have iPhones.
It is, you, infact that are brainwashed, the android you describe is the android of the past. It has about the same amount of apps as iOS and the amount of paid apps is rising. I would like to show you this mainly ANDROID development forum http://www.xda-developers.com/ it has 4.6 MILLION people with an average of 40k online at once. And came on this forum to see how iOS was doing, general developments, breakthroughs etc.

djphat2000
Sep 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
Granted I see your points however bar codes are probably the weakest form of security.

There is no way to intercept nfc since it range is limited to near contact. Then its just as secure as your credit card, maybe more so since a PIN is required.

Barcode manipulation have been around forever. A simple picture of the person in line using it and now it can be spoofed. HOWEVER I'll reserve my judgment until I use it because I'm sure Apple will make it harder then that to crack.

Nfc is actually wide spread and the tech is getting less expensive. Passbook has no integration anywhere. The video I watched on YouTube of a guy trying to use it at a Hong kong airport and it was a complete failure. While yes it will become more and more popular it just seems there is no infrastructure at all.

Believe it or not, I am actually shocked that scanning a bar code on my phone works at all. I would just think it too reflective to work right. But, for the times I do use it (again rare), its worked for me. It's just one of those techs that right now I don't have much of a need for. I'm going to guess that once its more prevalent in a restaurant type setting. I won't have much of a need for. Especially since you still have to sign, and do another function to keep it secure. I'm sure its useful (both bar code and NFC). Just hasn't hit me yet.

Tarzanman
Sep 17, 2012, 09:15 AM
I'm trying to use my smartphone for work and personal use, not launch a NASA space ship using cloud services :rolleyes: Point is, at least for OSX and iOS users (this isn't an Android forum), Google's cloud services are sub par to iCloud in every way imaginable.

LOL, wow are yo clueless or what....

It will probably take about about 3-4 years to catch up to where Google is right now with the cloud.

Instead of talking about things you clearly do not have much experience with, I suggest you actually learn what it is you are talking about. Go ahead and point OSX over to google.com, get an account and start clicking.

Lol. Your statement is just hilarious.

b33g33
Sep 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
The shear level of hypocrisy on this forum is staggering. If Apple ran exactly the same ad everyone would be praising them and saying how good the iPhone was because it has so many more features than the S3. Now it's oh well we don't need all those useful features anyway. Just makes me laugh how myopic some people are when it comes to Apple.

Apple doesn't need to run ads like this anymore. They used to (Mac vs PC) when they were still the underdog. I hated those ads because they were either full of exaggerations or omissions (or both) and seemed to be squarely targeted at the idiots who couldn't program a VCR from 1980.

In retrospect it is is clear that they worked. Combined with their improving products, the ads helped Apple gain market share, crucially among the teen and young adult population who became fans. As Apple continued to innovate and catch-up to the competition (adoption of Unix, iPod, iOS, iDevices ... ) they continued to follow Apple because for the most part the company delivered on it's promise of innovative, easy-to-use, high-quality products and software.

Will the same tactic work for Samsung? Maybe, but I don't think so. I, personally, don't think Samsung is a company that currently has innovative DNA. Like some of the Japanese companies they may evolve into innovators, but at the moment, they are successful because they are very good at copying and improving other products and then leveraging massive economies of scale and production cost advantages to undercut competition.

Please note that I am comparing Apple the company and their products to Samsung the company and their products here. The same argument doesn't apply to iOS vs Android which both have a clear innovation component.

sofianito
Sep 17, 2012, 09:32 AM
Don't forget #9.
Sell less than any phone by Samsung.

#10: Sell IPhone5 at a reasonable price (< $500). In fact, all their hw products are insanely overpriced!

----------

It is very childish and sad to see both samsung and apple consumers trolling and bashing each others... Both companies and inversors are making a lot of money on our behalf... It is time to wake up and show them who rule the market!. Don't let them rip you off...

Dwalls90
Sep 17, 2012, 09:52 AM
LOL, wow are yo clueless or what....

It will probably take about about 3-4 years to catch up to where Google is right now with the cloud.

Instead of talking about things you clearly do not have much experience with, I suggest you actually learn what it is you are talking about. Go ahead and point OSX over to google.com, get an account and start clicking.

Lol. Your statement is just hilarious.

Again, more EMPTY statements. WHICH FEATURES, does Google provide for cloud services that the average user would benefit from on their smartphone?

"OMG, LOL, GOOGLE HAS 3-4 MORE YEARS ON CLOUD SERVICES, THEY ARE SO MUCH MOAR 1337".

nxent
Sep 17, 2012, 09:56 AM
what's that expression? oh yeh... "haters gonna hate"

alexxxhp
Sep 17, 2012, 10:15 AM
There are plenty of good apps. All the big name devs make apps for both. And I don't have much of a use for small no name devs that make crappy apps.

Devs can really make some cool apps with Android because of its openness. I use an app called "gps essentials" when camping and it's awesome. I also use apps like twonky and double twist to stream content to Apple TV, ps3, Xbox or any sort of dln server. Tasker is a very powerful automation app. None are not available on iOS.

I have found a couple games that aren't in the play store but all the big ones are. But the games it lack it makes up for 10 fold with easy to use emulators for (nes, snes, n64, ps1). In the end I'm not a huge gamer. And with an app like "USB/BT joystick center" you can just play your favorite game controller or use blue tooth and enjoy your games with a real controller.

I'll agree there might not be a direct port of every app but there are similar alternative, some worse and some better.

Point is, the app store has plenty of nice clean polished apps. But to say android doesn't is just incorrect plus for android they can be more powerful and plenty of opportunities for apps that just can't work on iOS due too restrictions. I don't have a single app on my iPhone that's not available for Android except a couple gps apps (there's no competition with google) and a sudoku app that I like the layout of better then anything I can find on android. I have plenty of apps that aren't available for iOS though.

No root using a ps3 controller everything hooked up with cables I had laying around.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/ga8yzede.jpg)

as developer for multiple platforms iphone/android/xbox/ps/wii/windows/mac/linux ... I have to say Android is the worst. Xcode just works. Android SDK need to go back to the drawing board..... The tools are s!@#@....

Rocketman
Sep 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
It would be phunnie if Apple ran an ad in those papers on the same day, 1/8 page banner, that says simply, we don't complicate the hardware, we simplify the software, every day usage, upgrading, and access to apps, music, video, books and more. Seamlessly use your entire existing collection.

Visit one of our beautiful stores!

Rocketman

Tarzanman
Sep 17, 2012, 10:34 AM
Again, more EMPTY statements. WHICH FEATURES, does Google provide for cloud services that the average user would benefit from on their smartphone?

"OMG, LOL, GOOGLE HAS 3-4 MORE YEARS ON CLOUD SERVICES, THEY ARE SO MUCH MOAR 1337".

I'm not here to do your own research for you.

Here are some areas to get you started
Google Mail hooks into
Google Contacts "..."
Google Plus/Hangouts/youtube
Google Maps/My Maps
Google Music/Books..
etc

I'm not sure how to explain this to you. If I post a youtube video link in a gmail email message or google chat window then it automatically generates a clickable thumbmail

If I put an event in google calendar then it generates clickable links to the location that take me to google maps, and the event shows up on my jelly bean android device

Calling someone on the phone via my gmail interface automatically uses my google voice number to make the call

Photos (automatically uploaded from my android phone) in my Google Picasa gallery are automatically available on my Google Plus profile

Have I mentioned the completely seamless transition between mobile device and desktop google chat? All completely logged and accessible from any web browser, regardless of OS.

There are dozens more examples like this... and I am sure that I myself have only scratched the surface of cloud integration that google offers (I haven't even mentioned google apps or google docs)....

So you can go on thinking that iCloud is equivalent, but you're very, very wrong. Educate yourself, buddy.

ucfgrad93
Sep 17, 2012, 10:34 AM
It is an ad. Of course it is going to put Samsung in a positive light. It is nothing to get worked up about.

cynics
Sep 17, 2012, 10:49 AM
as developer for multiple platforms iphone/android/xbox/ps/wii/windows/mac/linux ... I have to say Android is the worst. Xcode just works. Android SDK need to go back to the drawing board..... The tools are s!@#@....

Well I don't have a comment on how easy or hard it is to make the apps. I only see the end result and they always look similar to me.

I do notice iOS apps are usually bigger in file size then Android apps.

Dead Trigger - iOS 294 / android 151
Speed test - iOS 11.9 / Android 4.08
Temple Run - iOS 34.3 Android 24.71
Dropbox - iOS 24.8 / Android 9.96
Chrome - iOS 39.6 / Android 18.94
Angry Birds Space - iOS 64.4 / Android 27.78

I came from Android but knowing what I know now I wouldn't have got the 16gb iPhone. 32 gb would be my minimum.

Regardless point is as an end user I can't tell the difference between them using them and the only behind the scenes stuff I do notice just shows me iOS apps are bigger (and more expensive).

As a side note dead trigger looks better on my 4S compared to my Xoom. Even with Xoom over-clocked and on the highest graphic quality there is more graphic content on iOS. However I've been told that the graphics are dumbed down for the 3GS too. The Xoom isn't exactly cutting edge anymore. Lol

skinnylegs
Sep 17, 2012, 11:16 AM

Google Mail hooks into
Google Contacts "..."
Google Plus/Hangouts/youtube
Google Maps/My Maps
Google Music/Books..
etc

I'm not sure how to explain this to you. If I post a youtube video link in a gmail email message or google chat window then it automatically generates a clickable thumbmail

If I put an event in google calendar then it generates clickable links to the location that take me to google maps, and the event shows up on my jelly bean android device

Calling someone on the phone via my gmail interface automatically uses my google voice number to make the call

Photos (automatically uploaded from my android phone) in my Google Picasa gallery are automatically available on my Google Plus profile

Have I mentioned the completely seamless transition between mobile device and desktop google chat? All completely logged and accessible from any web browser, regardless of OS.

There are dozens more examples like this... and I am sure that I myself have only scratched the surface of cloud integration that google offers (I haven't even mentioned google apps or google docs)....

So you can go on thinking that iCloud is equivalent, but you're very, very wrong. Educate yourself, buddy.Everything you say is correct but none of the services you listed are apps. They are web-based services. So....if you happen to not have internet connectivity, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to access, for instance, your Calendar. I don't use Google services so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I understand that this is not a make-or-break deal for most people but there *is* a difference between accessing web-based services and having apps. sync via the cloud. No?

BTW, I'm not 'dissin on Google. Each to their own. .....and if I'm not mistaken, Google offered Google Calendar before iCloud was created?

GatorsUF
Sep 17, 2012, 11:31 AM
never done this before but couldn't resist:

Image (http://ryanhollingsworth.com/images/samsung.jpg)

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/GatorsUF/samsung.jpg

FIFY

JGIGS
Sep 17, 2012, 11:41 AM
Well in this case I have to disagree.

If they did this with a lesser recognized windows 8 phone then I would totally agree but if you are a smartphone user and or in the market for a high end smartphone like the SG3 you know iphone 5 is being released.

They are using a bit of humour as well with "it doesn't take a genius". I'm a mac and iphone guy but not a crazed fanboy of any brand. I like to look at all gadgets and tech objectively. That being said I've had all iphones since the original but I just bought an SG3 and going to give it a try since I got it for about the same price on ebay, off contract, as it would cost me to upgrade to a 32G iphone 5 with an early upgrade fee.

Obviously there are pros and cons to both especially for us in the apple ecosystem (I already know I'm going to miss some iCloud features mostly music pushing and iMessage) and ease of use.

However, ios is getting stale and seems to continue to slip behind in features (which apple seems to do on purpose so they have something to add to a phone next year cough NFC cough!)

Anyway I think I went way off topic but I think it made sense for Samsung to show how their product is better and get people debating wether or not to give the SG3 a try.

It helped enlighten me. Not so much spec wise as ios is more effecient and needs less hardware resources but feature wise.

At the end of the day its a high class problem to have such great phones with great os's. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 other then windows seems to have a little less support from apps at the moment.

It's just about preference and what works best for you. Competition is good makes them all strive to make better products for us consumers.

However, I do find apple takes brand loyalty for granted now and holds back features for future product releases. Not to mention not including 1 adaptor as people transisition from a new cable form and then charging $29 for them?

Bad apple!

Sry for the rant.

It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

512ke
Sep 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
Is it just me, or does the dandelion on the Samsung make it slightly look like its screen is cracked?

kiltedthrower
Sep 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
I can't believe I kept reading this thread. Best and better are really subjective since the best phone, in my opinion, is the one I prefer to use. I enjoy my Note; I use the stylus nearly every day and so I think my phone is better than other phones. I like widgets and want a phone capable of displaying widgets, so the phone that can do widgets is a better phone for me. I wouldn't buy a phone that can't have a screen dedicated to full calendar View. I don't want to click an icon to bring up the calendar, I want it already there and open.

My dad wants a phone he can make calls, occasionally text, and sometimes check Facebook. He likes the iPhone and for him, his phone is better than mine.

But I am not my phone. I have no brand loyalty. I don't get embarrassed because Samsung put out an ad claiming it was better than another company. I guess I don't understand assigning an emotion to ads from product companies.

skinnylegs
Sep 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
I can't believe I kept reading this thread. Best and better are really subjective since the best phone, in my opinion, is the one I prefer to use. I enjoy my Note; I use the stylus nearly every day and so I think my phone is better than other phones. I like widgets and want a phone capable of displaying widgets, so the phone that can do widgets is a better phone for me. I wouldn't buy a phone that can't have a screen dedicated to full calendar View. I don't want to click an icon to bring up the calendar, I want it already there and open.

My dad wants a phone he can make calls, occasionally text, and sometimes check Facebook. He likes the iPhone and for him, his phone is better than mine.

But I am not my phone. I have no brand loyalty. I don't get embarrassed because Samsung put out an ad claiming it was better than another company. I guess I don't understand assigning an emotion to ads from product companies.You touched on one thing that I wish my iPhone had - widgets. I jailbroke my iPhone and widgets are available but the 'pickins are slim and they tend to make the phone unstable.

LiquidSpikes
Sep 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
The ad should just say this...

iPhone 5- Gets you laid!

Samsung galaxy S III - G+ intergration.

lordofthereef
Sep 17, 2012, 12:22 PM
I honestly think Samsung isn't targetting iPhone users with this ad; they're actually targetting android users.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Android users and those who are on the fence. People who are die-hard iOS users will always be. Look at die hard OSX users. There is no data on earth that will convert them. It's not worth Samsung's time to convert those devoted to the apple. They want those who are unsure, and those who are willing to try something new.

----------

Okay.
So companies should simply ignore the fact that they filed and have been granted a patent?

No, I never said that. I was simply saying the patent system is flawed and needs fixing. What is happening is EXACTLY what needs to happen (and more of it) for there to be reform. The companies should do exactly what they are doing. To say that I implied otherwise is to have not understood my argument in the first place.

JGIGS
Sep 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
LOL!
Well, apparently a lot of people LIKE using Android or people wouldn't keep buying the devices.

Apple is the most closed ecosystem that doesn't let you use features with other platforms and closes you from drag and droping files on the phone and playing different formats of media and codecs.

Hand cramps and pocket battles? That is a bit subjective but you do have a point in one sense that samsung should have at least one current model that's smaller for those who prefer that or have smaller hands.

Google play is huge now and have most of the actual apps that you would want that itunes has. There are a lot of useless apps in itunes. Quantity doesn't = quality

Not everyones group of friends are apple user dominated. Mine actually is and from my stand point its actually more of a deterent to go Android then a joy to go against the grain because I love iMessage. Nothing better then typing on a real full size keyboard when I can.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the add. Plenty of companies try to bring out the better points of there product to their competition.

Don't remember those "Hi I'm a mac and I'm a PC ads"?? Don't think Apple got a big boost from that compaign?

I'm an apple guy but don't look at everything they do with rose coloured glasses and diss other platforms just because they aren't apple.

thekev
Sep 17, 2012, 12:41 PM

It's not really possible to extrapolate a verdict in the US to a global scale given differences in laws and legal processes between various countries. I would caution the word "willful" there. The jury didn't exactly follow their instructions. While this doesn't necessarily invalidate the verdict, it is not a good measure of reference.

JGIGS
Sep 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
Totally agree! Now if ios catches up and includes those features then its obvioulsy a tougher decision and more about hardware your, ecosystem, what most of your friends use and personal pref.

Choice is good. Especially when you can't really go totally wrong with either of them. IMHO

But I am not my phone. I have no brand loyalty. I don't get embarrassed because Samsung put out an ad claiming it was better than another company. I guess I don't understand assigning an emotion to ads from product companies.

Dwalls90
Sep 17, 2012, 01:03 PM

Google Mail hooks into iCloud mail hooks into these too, where necessary. I don't think I need my email to "hook" into my ebook.
Google Contacts "..." See above, iCloud hooks in contacts
Google Plus/Hangouts/youtube iOS hooks into Facebook, Google Plus is a joke/useless, and what kind of hooking does youtube require? It's a web app, no better accessible on droid or iPhone
Google Maps/My Maps Really? Again, maps aren't a cloud service, and iOS has access to Google Maps OR iOS Maps
Google Music/Books.. iTunes Match and iBooks > Google Play
etc

See bolded above for response. NONE of those features are "cloud", cloud-specific to Google or are web apps.

I'm not sure how to explain this to you. If I post a youtube video link in a gmail email message or google chat window then it automatically generates a clickable thumbmail.

Because no one is capable of clicking on a web link?

If I put an event in google calendar then it generates clickable links to the location that take me to google maps, and the event shows up on my jelly bean android device.

iOS brings you to the respective app if you have a URL, address, phone number, App store link, ect.

Calling someone on the phone via my gmail interface automatically uses my google voice number to make the call.

The average smartphone user would prefer to have a Google Voice and regular phone line? Doubt it. If you really need Google Voice, then get the app on iOS

Photos (automatically uploaded from my android phone) in my Google Picasa gallery are automatically available on my Google Plus profile.

And how is this difference than the sharing options to social media made available in iOS, or shared photo streams? And let's be honest, no one cares about or uses Google Plus

And how is this different than iMessage being a seamless transition between my iPad or iPhone? Not to mention it's integrated into one message app automatically on iPhone

Google apps ... Apple has apps too, not a cloud service. Apple has app data in the cloud and cloud document saving, too. So I really don't know what you mean.

So you can go on thinking that iCloud is equivalent, but you're very, very wrong. Educate yourself, buddy.

[B]Educate yourself, "buddy". Seems like you are not in touch with Apple, OSX or iOS at all. Which reminds me, since you are so out of the loop, and clearly prefer Gmail/Android, why are you even on these forums?

See bolded.

Everything you say is correct but none of the services you listed are apps. They are web-based services. So....if you happen to not have internet connectivity, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to access, for instance, your Calendar. I don't use Google services so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I understand that this is not a make-or-break deal for most people but there *is* a difference between accessing web-based services and having apps. sync via the cloud. No?

BTW, I'm not 'dissin on Google. Each to their own. .....and if I'm not mistaken, Google offered Google Calendar before iCloud was created?

+1

takasugi
Sep 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
apple isnt the market leader in PC space*. they are in mobile.

*tho they are the leading PC manufacture in annual growth...the others are dropping in sales while macs continue to grow year after year.

This was in response to superior/inferior company and not who is the sales leader.

jrswizzle
Sep 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
The point is that Apple's patents are frivolous and the statement that Steve Jobs made that they invented multitouch and the first touch screen phone is a LIE.

Is it really difficult to admit that for you guys? Is it really to admit that the patents are undeserved? Is it so hard to admit that apple clearly skews the facts? Is it really necessary to obsess over glorifying a brand over this?

Someone may have already asked you this....but why does it seem like your personal vendetta to discredit Steve Jobs and Apple? I mean, you're free to buy supposedly superior phones, so why is it you keep regurgitating the same lines?

You make the assumption/generalization that all people who buy Apple are blinded by Apple's supposed skewing of facts. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that none of us knows when the iPhone (or any other touch screen phone for that matter) was conceived? I mean tbh, touchscreen devices have been "around" for decades. For all you or anyone else knows Steve Jobs could've invented this ages ago but was limited by the technology available to him (not suggesting this is the case). The point is, YOU don't know any more than the rest of us. So come down off your high-horse and relax.

Whether or not a touchscreen device was around before the iPhone you cannot deny the fact that the iPhone began this touchscreen smartphone revolution. And really, regardless of whether it was actually invented by Jobs or Apple or simply a product of their brilliant marketing strategies it makes no difference. You're thinking about innovation as someone coming up with some brand new technology. I'd argue innovation has a much broader definition and is defined by how a technology or device effects the world/consumers it is used by.

damitssam
Sep 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
LOL. All this bitchin and moaning. Remember this ad?

BpOvzGiheOM

Its all in good humor and fun, quit freaking out about a damn newspaper ad. At least they are comparing specs, unlike the crappy ad before.

jrswizzle
Sep 17, 2012, 01:20 PM
Well I don't have a comment on how easy or hard it is to make the apps. I only see the end result and they always look similar to me.

I do notice iOS apps are usually bigger in file size then Android apps.

Dead Trigger - iOS 294 / android 151
Speed test - iOS 11.9 / Android 4.08
Temple Run - iOS 34.3 Android 24.71
Dropbox - iOS 24.8 / Android 9.96
Chrome - iOS 39.6 / Android 18.94
Angry Birds Space - iOS 64.4 / Android 27.78

I came from Android but knowing what I know now I wouldn't have got the 16gb iPhone. 32 gb would be my minimum.

Regardless point is as an end user I can't tell the difference between them using them and the only behind the scenes stuff I do notice just shows me iOS apps are bigger (and more expensive).

As a side note dead trigger looks better on my 4S compared to my Xoom. Even with Xoom over-clocked and on the highest graphic quality there is more graphic content on iOS. However I've been told that the graphics are dumbed down for the 3GS too. The Xoom isn't exactly cutting edge anymore. Lol

A lot of that difference in file size comes from the fact that on Android you have to download additional files when you first install the game. You DL the game from the store, open it up and DL more content. I'd venture to guess the file size discrepancy isn't that large, but in my (limited) experience with Android, the iOS counterparts seem more stable so the additional size isn't really an issue.

spanading
Sep 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
Nice specs galaxy SIII, shame it is still a plastic brick with no real infrastructure and an unregulated crAPPy store. I'll stick with my Apple ecosystem. The samsung SIII maybe 'Big' (and faster) but it just isn't clever. If you see something you like why not just copy it! Oh I could think of about a billion reasons not to. Lets hope it gets band but as the judge said, Samsung is just not cool enough to be mistaken with any Apple product ;)

Mac-Mac-McAfee
Sep 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
I laugh at these tool-boxes on here defending Samsuck, Android and the other crap products they love. And they call Apple/iPhone users fanboys. They are the FAN-DROIDS. I don't care if you like one more than the other, use a f-n cup and string for all you want. Just crawl back under your rock with your inferior Samsuck products and eat a d!ck.

Oh, by the way. Samsuck manufactures PARTS for Apple. These parts were DESIGNED BY APPLE.

matttye
Sep 17, 2012, 02:10 PM

Can use the features with other Samsung users. Galaxy S3 is a popular phone you know... I've seen quite a few people with one.

No hand cramps or pocket battles here. I wear trousers that aren't skin tight though.

Plenty of good apps.

I don't care what other people have. I'll use what I want irregardless of whether my friends have those devices.

kiltedthrower
Sep 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
I laugh at these tool-boxes on here defending Samsuck, Android and the other crap products they love. And they call Apple/iPhone users fanboys. They are the FAN-DROIDS. I don't care if you like one more than the other, use a f-n cup and string for all you want. Just crawl back under your rock with your inferior Samsuck products and eat a d!ck.

Oh, by the way. Samsuck manufactures PARTS for Apple. These parts were DESIGNED BY APPLE.

May I ask why you're so judgemental and angry towards people that like certain phones?

base2
Sep 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Plus if you're on Verizon, they are planning on pushing out an update which installs their remote tools so a tech can remote in to your phone to troubleshoot issues. Which is a cool idea, but I wouldn't want that on my phone.

Root it and put a custom ROM on it... or just delete it. Because with android, its okay to do that. Samsung wont try to brick your phone for doing it.

JGIGS
Sep 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
Some valid points not sure its fair to call it a plastic brick. Build quality felt very solid in my hands when I played with it. iPhone does feel more premium though I will admit.

Definitely not fair to say it isn't clever. You may not choose to use a lot of the features it has but you can't argue that it doesn't have a lot of clever features and on a whole more then the iphone.

At this point the most clever part of ios is its intuitiveness and icloud and that's kinda of old news at this point. Even as an ios fan I have to say it needs a refresh!

Anyone else tired of just rows of icons? Didn't apple invent widgets on macs? I actually think they are more useful on a phone then on a computer.

I also don't appreciate that for some reason my iphone 4 just decides it doesn't feel like pushing my email and I have to reset it to push again. And yes I have an icloud me.com email address.

Neither platform are perfect and probably never will be. Both are excellent and have pros and cons vs. each other.

Lets leave it at that and stop all the fanboyism on both sides!

Nice specs galaxy SIII, shame it is still a plastic brick with no real infrastructure and an unregulated crAPPy store. I'll stick with my Apple ecosystem. The samsung SIII maybe 'Big' (and faster) but it just isn't clever. If you see something you like why not just copy it! Oh I could think of about a billion reasons not to. Lets hope it gets band but as the judge said, Samsung is just not cool enough to be mistaken with any Apple product ;)

Twixt
Sep 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
More like

Apple: Sues over anything

I will not buy iphone 5 also because of that, too streamlined, not cool anymore!

Mac-Mac-McAfee
Sep 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
Something for the Sam-suckers:

JGIGS
Sep 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
I respect both apple/ios and samsung/android. So what does that make me?

I guess it makes me objective which is such terrible thing.

Us terrible objective people that appreciate any type of inovative tech products and features no matter what the brand or os name is.

MachineShedFred
Sep 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

I guess I'm wonder, other than the hardcore Linux fanboys, who gives half a fat rat's ass about specs like RAM, if apps run right, the UI doesn't lag, and you don't have to reboot it all the time.

Not one person should a damn about CPU speed and RAM if the software runs properly on whatever is in there.

Samsung: the Mhz wars were over years ago. It's bad marketing.

matttye
Sep 17, 2012, 03:28 PM
Something for the Sam-suckers:

I have more than enough money in my savings account to buy one outright if I wish. I just don't want one ;)

dudemac
Sep 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
Much like the Samsung TV's that you stand in front of and move your hands around like a mime to move the selection on the screen.
Neat? Yes.... for about a minute.
Useful? No way. Just give me the damn remote.

I think they put in as many things as they can come up with to make their spec list longer.

The first thing I thought of when I read this was Siri. Unless it becomes much more than it is now, I don't see it as more than a gimmick. If and this a very big if, you could activate it by a word or some kind of voice interaction other than pressing the button on the front of the phone then it would be a step closer to being useful. Right now its just fun to ask dumb questions. Not really that useful. Not when you can do most of the tasks faster just touching the phone. Which you have to do anyway to use it.

dudemac
Sep 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
The technology is good, the implication is bad. If NFC can exchnage information between devices, so it can exchange viruses, malware or user information. Android is open software, so it is easy to get viruses, iPhone is closed controled ecosystem so if you not jailbreak it, its safe. When apple adopt NFC they will do it their way, focosing on security, useability and user experiance. Sammy has it, so i wanna know how many of those users use it. 1%? 0.05%? Or maybe less. So its there but nobody use it, and thats the big deal. I use my iPad every single day and every single feature is great and I use it almost all the time.

What samsung do, is just trowing **** on a wall (users) and hope some of the **** sticks to do wall (users like it). With iOS you can see some great new features, but its almost all about making the features it has now, better. The idea is not to give every software update a dozen of new system apps, but maybe one or two, but they should be great. When apple wants to Create a feature they probably think about cons and pros and if they cant clear all the cons, they dont give it to user because they care about him. Sammy just make stuffs with acceptable level of cons and pros and use the users for laboratory rats.

And if you haven't notice so does Apple. Just look at almost every OS release. Even their mobile services are more of a work in progress. Don't get me wrong I love using a Mac. And have several iPhones but this last round of "upgrades" has just pissed me off to the point I don't even know if I can keep using "icloud". It is just crap and every time I log in it just pisses me off more and more. I don't like always feeling like a Beta tester. I did that for years, now I just want stuff to work.

Sweetcheetah
Sep 17, 2012, 03:50 PM
That's the thing, I feel like that more and more advertisement of some sort of totally unrelated to iphone or android types of phones, you hear and see a TON more of iPhone 4(s) and iPad items showcasing the apps used for particular company using it for customers to experience. Why not more of android? IOr galaxy? Very little do I hear ad's mention android or phone devices of the android or something. It's iphone this and iPad that. And generic iphone and ipad products are use more than any other devices. And also, if the statistics are accurate or true, iphone 5 had double the pre-orders than the 4S by a Million more within 24 hours. What does that say about iPhone anyway? iPhone ad's don't need to work that hard these days. Yup, any other phone ad's they have to be creative or they won't get noticed. Trust me, I see SOOOO many more iphone users out in the daily interaction, it's really neat. Iphone just works. Simple, to the point, the apps I use are very much useful in ways I make money with them because I use it for my business. Apple products generally helps people make money some how because of the less time wasted in tinkering with any other software than the apple OS's.

Flux.Capacitor
Sep 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
The first thing I thought of when I read this was Siri. Unless it becomes much more than it is now, I don't see it as more than a gimmick. If and this a very big if, you could activate it by a word or some kind of voice interaction other than pressing the button on the front of the phone then it would be a step closer to being useful. Right now its just fun to ask dumb questions. Not really that useful. Not when you can do most of the tasks faster just touching the phone. Which you have to do anyway to use it.

I thought the same thing about Siri when I first got my 4S. But the more I used it the more useful it became. It DOES have a nice "Raise to Speak" feature that you just lift the phone to your ear and it launches Siri, no need ot hold the home button. I use it to make appointments (MUCH faster than launching app, going to the date and typing it in), send texts, play music, create notes, add items to lists etc. it's actually quite useful.