PDA

View Full Version : See Samsung's Sunday newspaper ad about the iPhone 5. Whats your thoughts? (merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Bilalo
Sep 15, 2012, 02:39 PM
I believe this move is extremely cheap samsung, no matter how much they hate Apple... This should be out tommorow and samsung doesnt have 790 hours standby time xD it diesnt last more than 18-30 hours without 3G and standby wnt be 1 month...

I love how the Iphone screen is turned off making it look so dull :P

The ad breaks down some key specs of the two phones, but it's also a bit misleading. Samsung lists a lot of Galaxy S III-specific software features like sharing photos wirelessly between phones and tilt to zoom, but doesn't mention any iPhone 5-specific features.
It's a silly implication that just because the iPhone 5 doesn't run Samsung's software that it's an inferior phone.*Apple packed a lot of features into its iPhone software*that the Galaxy S III can't do like Facebook and Twitter integration, AirPlay, and access to thousands of more apps.
Am I trying to say the Galaxy S III is bad? No way! When I reviewed it in June, I really, really liked it! And I haven't tried the iPhone 5, so it's hard for me to really compare the two phones beyond the spec sheets.
But given that this ad is ostensibly a feature-by-feature comparison of the two phones, it seems disingenuous of Samsung to leave out a lot of great things the iPhone 5 can do.
Take a look:
Cant post pic :S check out the link

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-anti-iphone-5-ad-2012-9#ixzz26ZLAHafz

KPOM
Sep 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

saud0488
Sep 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
It's all true though.

Bilalo
well...no.
Samsung made this ad because they are ******** about the incredible number of people pre-ordering the 5.
You can expect another commercial from SameSong in the next week or two that starts calling apple customers iSheep again.

It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

I love how the apple dispplay is off whereasnthe samsung is on :p

timeconsumer
This is very misleading. The Galaxy S3 is clearly a nice phone, but the bloatware that is installed on it just ruins it for me. Samsung lets carriers do whatever they want with the phone. Plus if you're on Verizon, they are planning on pushing out an update which installs their remote tools so a tech can remote in to your phone to troubleshoot issues. Which is a cool idea, but I wouldn't want that on my phone. In the end, the iPhone is still going to outsell the Galaxy S3.

KPOM
Sep 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
Maybe they should add a line:

Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents.
Samsung: Found by a court to be infringing design patents.

kvizzel
Sep 15, 2012, 03:02 PM

More like

Apple: Sues over anything

Dwalls90
Sep 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
Samsung is so petty.

Apple has plenty of features that Samsung/Google don't mention in that ad, such as iCloud, which is FAR more integrated and reliable than Google.

Plus, "tilt to zoom", are you kidding me?

******** ad, and it shouldn't take a genius to realize that :rolleyes:

JS82712
Sep 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
More like

so..SameSong: copies everything?

Oppressed
Sep 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
Samsung is the ultimate troll.

TSX
Sep 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
Samsung needs to compare themselves to other android devices, not the iPhone, because most iPhone owners don't give a *****.

JS82712
Sep 15, 2012, 03:34 PM
I find it even more ironic that they are advertising the S-voice, which is a complete rip-off of Siri.

\-V-/
Sep 15, 2012, 03:36 PM
Looks like an angry 12-year-old made that ad. I love the end of the Galaxy list. They could've put anything and it would've sounded equally stupid.

Galaxy SIII:

Purple
Monkey
Bananas

THE NEXT BIG THING IS ALREADY HERE!

neilmacd
Sep 15, 2012, 03:42 PM
Free advertising for Apple :D

Prime85
Sep 15, 2012, 03:42 PM
They need to add under the ram portion "2gb of ram but lags like hell anyway"

That's the main reason I am switching from the S3 to the iPhone5.

WouterDS
Sep 15, 2012, 03:43 PM
No words.. Cheap indeed.

Oppressed
Sep 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
Can someone explain how moving your palm across the screen for screen captures is a feature?

Plus what the hell are some of these features?
Direct calling: and all this time I've been calling people indirectly?
Group cast: is?
Smart stay: is?
Smart alert: is?

This ad tells me so little about the phone they are promoting.

Also how many of these so called features are only functional if the other person has another S3?

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
They should add this to the bottom:

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/trollface-problem.jpg

I can see what Samsung is trying to do (steal customers from the iPhone) but I'm not convinced it will work.

dmelgar
Sep 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
It's funny that they list as "features" the horrible and silly "gestures" they came up with. They're the worst aspects of the s3.
Really... One of their great ideas is to tilt the phone to zoom in? Seriously. That's what it does. Tilting the phone to zoom is intuitive? It's like giving a phone to chimps. They have no idea what to do with it. Start hitting buttons, starting adding features without having any clue what they're doing. But they came up with a list of features. Folks who dislike Apple and android fans somehow manage to justify samsungs actions.

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
They need to add under the ram portion "2gb of ram but lags like hell anyway"

That's the main reason I am switching from the S3 to the iPhone5.

It's probably the processor causing the lag more than the RAM. My international quad core S3 with 1GB RAM doesn't lag.

It didn't lag on ICS but it definitely doesn't lag on Jelly Bean :D

appswipe
Sep 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
If Samsung, MS, Sony, Google, Motorola or anyone else does sleazy marketing its petty and pathetic
If Apple does sleazy advertising its art

Its an ad and it does make a point whether we accept it or not so why the heck is anyone offended? Just because we prefer Apple products doesnt mean competition shouldnt exist.

dukebound85
Sep 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
Samsung needs to compare themselves to other android devices, not the iPhone, because most iPhone owners don't give a *****.

I do. In fact, I am considering hopping sides from the iphone world so yea

kvizzel
Sep 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
so..SameSong: copies everything?

I don't get it...

SameSong?

Should be same Apple...

No hate on either, but just saying

JS82712
Sep 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
If Samsung, MS, Sony, Google, Motorola or anyone else does sleazy marketing its petty and pathetic
If Apple does sleazy advertising its art

Its an ad and it does make a point whether we accept it or not so why the heck is anyone offended? Just because we prefer Apple products doesnt mean competition shouldnt exist.

So purposely leaving out key features of a product in your ad to mislead consumers isn't pathetic?

I don't see people being offended by this, I just see that most people think this is a lame attempt by samsung.

Do you ever hear Apple or most other companies insult consumers who don't use their products? well, Samsung did that. multiple times.

jp700p
Sep 15, 2012, 03:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/k4CBF.jpg

Moshe1010
Sep 15, 2012, 03:57 PM

Apple lost in Japan and Korea (Korean judge said that both companies used others patents). It was clear that Apple, which is based in the US, would win in US court over Korean based company - Samsung. Anyway, Apple hasn't won yet, they need to go through courts of appeals, which can take years.

rockyroad55
Sep 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
Edit: Nobody understood my comment as a joke :(

hawk1410
Sep 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
The only things that are actually useful in that list are NFC, expandable storage, removable battery, and a larger screen(this is subjective as some prefer a compact phone), rest of the crap is just gimmicky and wouldn't call them features. Stupid ad IMO

Soundburst
Love how they don't mention iCloud or anything yet add all the rip off stuff in a big list while bundling all the apple features into "ios6"

CSpackler
S-Beam? Does the S3 shoot lasers now?

MBHockey
Sep 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
It's more telling that Samsung feels compelled to even make this kind of an ad.

kuebby
Sep 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
The only things that are actually useful in that list are NFC, expandable storage, removable battery, and a larger screen(this is subjective as some prefer a compact phone), rest of the crap is just gimmicky and wouldn't call them features. Stupid ad IMO

Agreed. Except if a phone (at this point) has NFC I wouldn't buy it. Far too easy to get your information stolen. Also, I don't want that big of a phone, I don't even think the Samsung would fit in my pocket. But to each their own.

foobi
Sep 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
That will save Apple some advertising money, thanks!

Moshe1010
I wish Apple would release an ad comparing sales numbers. Like in 1 week we sold more phones than you did in a year.
LOL, Apple fanboys don't even care about the facts anymore.
Samsung sold since last May (4 months) more than 20 million Galaxy 3 units:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2012/09/123_119242.html

So apple sold in one week 20 million devices? Please inform me.

onthecouchagain
Don't really care for the ad myself, but I'd like to point out that if some of those features were on the Apple side, I bet many wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them as "useless." They might even go as far as suggesting that Apple is pushing new features and trying to be innovative.

i-John
Sep 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
I wish Apple would release an ad comparing sales numbers. Like in 1 week we sold more phones than you did in a year.

Sales doesn't automatically make it a better phone.

If that was the case, the Ford Fiesta is the best car in the world.

Julien
Sep 15, 2012, 04:05 PM

You ether ignore or make a small indirect jokes about the competition. Never give them equal billing in an add.

Also that's NOT an iPhone 5 and make it look even dumber.

NewbieCanada
Sep 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'm bisexual, and I saw the title and thought that some people would bring it up.

Now I also live in the UK and I know guys actually use "gay" to describe objects or events which aren't exactly great - and it's not meant to be offensive.

But it is. VERY.

----------

I am as well :D Sorry :/ i removed it asap as my friend did the posting

Step 1. Choose better mates

Step 2. Even after step 1, don't let people use your account. Even people who aren't bigoted idiots like your friend.

KPOM
Sep 15, 2012, 04:07 PM
Apple lost in Japan and Korea (Korean judge said that both companies used others patents). It was clear that Apple, which is based in the US, would win in US court over Korean based company - Samsung. Anyway, Apple hasn't won yet, they need to go through courts of appeals, which can take years.

The Korean court found that Apple used Samsung's standards essential wireless patents, not design patents.

Anyway, the US court decision is a big victory for Apple. Yes, courts move at glacial paces, but the burden of proof in an appeal shifts to the losing party. Most of it will be upheld. And no, it was never clear that Apple would win in the US court just because Apple is based in the US. You do a disservice to the jury with that kind of statement.

matttye
I am as well :D Sorry :/ i removed it asap as my friend did the posting

That old chestnut ;)

MBHockey
You ether ignore or make a small indirect jokes about the competition. Never give them equal billing in an add.

I agree. They've failed on two levels here. The first was making the ad in the first place.

superhrixenz

True, I notice that they are trying too hard to advertise Galaxy S3 after they were sued by Apple.

This is of the their tweets yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/vFD2P.jpg

MacWorld78
I'm just glad apple didn't add NFC - i hate that idea...i've heard you don't need to add pin to make a payment - what if your phone is stolen and made the payment fast before you find out?

Again some1 will make another device which can tab on your back pocket in public area without you knowing it?

I really had enough this fight between Apple and Samsung, simply you cant force people to buy this product just because it had more stuff then other - it is real childish!! let people decided what's best for them.

Soundburst
Sep 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
The iPhone 5 looks so classy in that ad compared to that other beast.

JoltinJoe
Sep 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
It's a marketing strategy. Inferior companies will always do the comparison. The superior company can rely on its laurels. You never see Pepsi in a Coke commercial or Cadillac in a Porsche commercial. Flipside, Pepsi and Cadillac mention Coke and Porsche in their ads, etc.

EDIT: Several folks have reminded me about the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" commercials, which I genuinely forgot about. In that case, I still think the theory holds. Apple had/has ground to gain in the desktop computer market. But in the phone/tablet/Post-PC era, Apple doesn't need to stoop to this level.

KPOM
More like

Well, if you get copied a lot, you need to defend your turf a lot. Plus, it isn't just Apple going after Android. Microsoft has threatened legal action in order to extract some pretty hefty royalties from the likes of HTC and Samsung.

mcman77
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-anti-iphone-5-ad-2012-9#ixzz26ZLAHafz

That is Samsung America though isn't it?

In the US (use to be) allowed to directly market against other products. I rememeber a coke vs pepsi ad. No biggie...

Rogifan
Sep 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
Wow is Apple living in Samsung's head rent free. :D. Has Apple ever mentiond Samsung sepcifically in a keynote or ad?

rockyroad55

Sales doesn't automatically make it a better phone.

If that was the case, the Ford Fiesta is the best car in the world.

You guys do understand it was a joke right? But sales do make investors happy and happy investors is happy money.

Moshe, I'm not sure you know what a fanboy is, probably just throwing the term loosely.

-Knight-
iOS vs Android

I don't like android, I love their phone features but I don't want android. I stick with iOS and their App store.

Btw, Doesn't the galaxy phones have bad battery life!?

TSX
I do. In fact, I am considering hopping sides from the iphone world so yea

That's why I said "most".

KPOM
Sep 15, 2012, 04:12 PM
Don't really care for the ad myself, but I'd like to point out that if some of those features were on the Apple side, I bet many wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them as "useless." They might even go as far as suggesting that Apple is pushing new features and trying to be innovative.

Turn over to mute (a Nokia innovation) and picture-in-picture are nice, but I doubt I'll ever see an Apple phone with a "shake to update" feature.

takasugi
Sep 15, 2012, 04:12 PM
I think this Samsung hate is hilarious. Samsung bad...unless you are buying a rMBP (gotta get the Samsung display) or a MBA (gotta get a Samsung SSD and display). All companies market their products - I pick the one that works for my needs by researching and not from anyone's biased marketing...apple or Samsung or whoever.

i-John
Sep 15, 2012, 04:13 PM

They are not targeting iPhone fanboys. They are targeting regular people who are undecided what to get. That's why they make fun of the fanboy in their ads too.

Moshe1010
Sep 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
You guys do understand it was a joke right? But sales do make investors happy and happy investors is happy money.

Moshe, I'm not sure you know what a fanboy is, probably just throwing the term loosely.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

faams
Sep 15, 2012, 04:23 PM

iPhone 4S sold 4 Million in three days, so apple sold 1/5 of what Samsung sold in 1/40 of the time they did. It toke the iPhone 4S 22 hours to sell out but it toke only 1 hour for the 5 to sell out. To the look of it the amount of iPhone 5s sold is gotta be really high. Not saying it will reach 20 Million in a week but it will way quicker than the Galaxy S 3 did.

kuebby
Sep 15, 2012, 04:26 PM
Turn over to mute (a Nokia innovation)

That I do like. It would be really nice to just be able to turn my phone over and not worry about it until I DECIDE to look at it. No more interruptions. (Yes, I know it's easy to flip the switch on the side, turning it over is just a cool inovation to make it even simpler. Plus, you could make the switch vibrate and turning it over completely silent.)

limonade
Sep 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
It's a marketing strategy. Inferior companies will always do the comparison. The superior company can rely on its laurels. You never see Pepsi in a Coke commercial or Cadillac in a Porsche commercial. Flipside, Pepsi and Cadillac mention Coke and Porsche in their ads, etc.

What about Microsoft in an Apple ad?

Moshe1010
Sep 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
iPhone 4S sold 4 Million in three days, so apple sold 1/5 of what Samsung sold in 1/40 of the time they did. It toke the iPhone 4S 22 hours to sell out but it toke only the 1 hour for the 5 to sell out. To the look of it the amount of iPhone 5s sold is gotta be really high. Not saying it will reach 20 Million in a week but it will way quicker than the Galaxy S 3 did.

Yeah, when you have only 100,000 devices in stock, you would be sold out in couple of hours; but if you'd make 1,000,000 devices on the first day (I'm just throwing the numbers as an example), it would take you longer to be sold out. Try to read about supply and demand and techniques in marketing, every company is doing it - some are more than others.

NJMetsHero
Sep 15, 2012, 04:28 PM
Don't iPhones have a bunch of random, proprietary features like iMessage stuff like that?

Nathan576
Sep 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
the iphone 5 will dominate sales wise, mean while the folks at samsung are desperately trying to bash it, they even have their customers trolling youtube videos and blogs. its kinnda sad but funny at the same time

Bilalo
Sep 15, 2012, 04:30 PM
That is Samsung America though isn't it?

In the US (use to be) allowed to directly market against other products. I rememeber a coke vs pepsi ad. No biggie...

Yea but news gets to the uk no? I am in the uk you know and got it through the ebst Ipad app Flipboard under technology tab :)

takasugi
Sep 15, 2012, 04:31 PM

Kind of like I'm a Mac-I'm a PC right? Oh wait, that was apple...never mind.

BluePhoenixRa
Sep 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
S-Beam? Does the S3 shoot lasers now?

S-Beam me up Scotty!

That's what I think when I see "S-Beam"

Either way, it goes to show that Samsung is very insecure about their future and yes, this ad seems like it was made by a raged 12 year old.

Mrg02d
Sep 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
Don't your apple devices use Samsung parts? Whose the chump?:D

faams
Sep 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah, when you have only 100,000 devices in stock, you would be sold out in couple of hours; but if you'd make 1,000,000 devices on the first day (I'm just throwing the numbers as an example), it would take you longer to be sold out. Try to read about supply and demand and techniques in marketing, every company is doing it - some are more than others.
I fail to see how it will only be 100,000 in stock when last year AT&T alone reported taking 200,000 pre-orders for the 4S before being sold out thats not including Sprint, Verizon or international carriers. My Previous comment was an example of what to expect, people tend to forget that was just pre-order stock and the official release is on the 21st that is when the real numbers come in and then we shall see.

zhandri
Sep 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
it's funny that they advertise the S3 battery life this much and every user is complaining about it not even lasting 1 day

KPOM
Sep 15, 2012, 04:36 PM

It's actually pretty rare. In any case, the Mac vs. PC ads were a bit different (though note that Apple in this case was in the weaker position at the time). They didn't show two products with checklists. They had John Hodgman and Justin Long in ads that were more humorous.

The fact that Samsung is coming out with ads this direct, and paid for ads that showed up when someone searched for "iPhone 5" in Google shows that they are very concerned about the impact of the new iPhone.

OneMike
Sep 15, 2012, 04:37 PM

To be fair the average non tech person I talk to about Android won't buy it because "It's based off Windows and gets viruses." Just stating facts that strong sales don't really mean much in terms of quality or OSX would be in every household in the world (or other unix/linux based OS).

Apple is hot right now and a lot of people are just on the bandwagon.

I do like iOS better, just my opinion.

RamGuy
Sep 15, 2012, 04:38 PM
Anandtech has pretty much confirmed that iPhone 5 and it's Apple A6 is Apple's very first custom design SoC, which means Samsung is not providing Apple with their SoC solutions anymore like they did in the past?

If we also take into account that LG and Sharp are the ones cranking out the display panels for the iPhone 5, and they stopped with the Glass cover (which supposedly also came from Samsung?) and have gone for a thin layer of Gorilla Glass from Corning, and the fact that the iPhone 5 features RAM and NAND from Hynix and Eplida instead of Samsung and Apple has gone for a "all-in-one" cell chip from Qualcomm, is there really anything made from Samsung in the iPhone 5?

If not, that must hurt Samsung Electronics quite a lot considering how Apple has been one of their biggest and most stable sources of income for the last couple of years.

KPOM
Sep 15, 2012, 04:39 PM

A big difference is that they didn't actually compare the two products. They had two actors do humorous skits to prove a point. In some respects, it was more like the ads Samsung did last year (which were more effective, IMO), though unlike the Samsung ads they made fun of the product, and not the customer.

This ad is more like the ones GM used to run in the late 1990s and early 2000s that attempted to compare products like Pontiacs to BMWs and similar cars based on "specs." We all know how that turned out for GM.

erawsd
Sep 15, 2012, 04:40 PM
Shake to Update?? WHERE CAN I BUY ONE!?

KPOM
Anandtech has pretty much confirmed that iPhone 5 and it's Apple A6 is Apple's very first custom design SoC, which means Samsung is not providing Apple with their SoC solutions anymore like they did in the past?

I believe Samsung is still the foundry. Since the iPhone 4, Apple has designed the SoC. Samsung just tools the factory and produces it to Apple's specs.

skidbubble
Image (http://i.imgur.com/k4CBF.jpg)

<in Mortal Kombat voice>

Samsung Wins...

FATALITY

megapopular
Sep 15, 2012, 04:42 PM

Exactly. If you have to mention the competition then you've got big problems already!! The numbers speak for that, too!

RamGuy
Sep 15, 2012, 04:43 PM
If Samsung are so confident that their Samsung Galaxy S3 is better compared to the iPhone 5, even without knowing much about the new special designed Apple A6 SoC, why on earth can't they make a half decent and somewhat honest chart for comparison?

Listing every single custom software feature, no matter how big or small from the Galaxy S3 without mentioning a single one for the iPhone 5 is just silly..

famoussasjohn
Sep 15, 2012, 04:43 PM
All I see is Samsung trying to justify their phone against a phone that has only been announced and set for pre-order for a day and a half now but they also lie through their teeth to try and sell you on it.

Straight from the Sprint page
Talk time up to 9 hours

Other carriers show other talk time hours and stand-by to about 200 hours. (rather a moot thing to talk about for stand-by time because it appears it's a stat that anyone can make up)

Numerous sites state about 200 hours of stand-by time..500+ hours short of what they state on their website. My assumptions are, with every possible thing shut off (wifi, bluetooth, 3G, 4G, any particular connection completely off) then it would last that long, but 790 hours = 32.9 days, they are out of their minds with that estimate.

einmusiker
Sep 15, 2012, 04:46 PM

mcdonalds sells more burgers than 5 guys too

TopToffee
Sep 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
Wow. And we thought Apple's "Genius" ads were bad!!

cableguy619
Sep 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
lol I love the plug reference, but what they have failed to say sinc ethe iphone has release the iphone has released 2 plugs in 5 yrs where samsung has released 17 haha.. i got to find the post who posted that..

righteye
Sep 15, 2012, 04:56 PM
The next BIG thing, yes they are right, too big for for liking and most of my pockets.
The new maps looks great, and i hope the feel of a quality tool, missed the 4 upgrades but have pre ordered the 5 just hope i do not get bitten as an early adopter as i'am usually more cautious.

Frankied22
Sep 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
Is anyone really surprised by this? I'm an Apple fan and will be getting the iPhone 5, and I'm not really bothered by this ad. It's just a marketing technique. We (the tech crowd) are not affected by these stupid things anyway. We already know what each offers and which side we like. This is nothing more than an over glorified checklist for Samsung to impress people who are absolutely clueless about smartphones. Unfortunately, I highly doubt it will work because Apple has too much mindshare already for anyone to care what Samsung has to say about the new iPhone. I don't see why all the tech bloggers are making such a big deal out of it.

iEnvy
Sep 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
I hate when companies have to resort to this. If your product is really that great, you don't have to bash the competition.

SG3 is a good phone, there should be other marketing strategies.

Maclver
Sep 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
790 Hours of Standby time??? 32 days? Thats if the device is powered off right?

swordfish5736
Sep 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
lol I love the plug reference, but what they have failed to say sinc ethe iphone has release the iphone has released 2 plugs in 5 yrs where samsung has released 17 haha.. i got to find the post who posted that..

This one?

faams
Sep 15, 2012, 05:04 PM

That is good comparison that actually helps apple because samsung has more variety of phones than apple just as mcdonalds has a wider variety of burgers than 5 Guys but at the of the day 5 guys has better burgers just as apple has better phones.

TSX
Sep 15, 2012, 05:05 PM
Shake to Update?? WHERE CAN I BUY ONE!?

That feature won't work seeing as android devices never get updated.

richpuer
Sep 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Omfg I wish I saw this ad before. Twice the features and half the price? I, canceling me order.

xofruitcake
Sep 15, 2012, 05:12 PM
I kind of like Samsung's ads. I think it bring to a head of the question of what is important to new smartphone? Realistically most of us will choose 10-15 apps that we use daily, watch some movie, take some pictures, find resturants around us, getting map direction.. Pretty boring kind of stuff.

The real question everyone should ask if what does those new feature do to our day to day use of our phone? Right now smartphone is going down a path that said more feature is better and no one really ask what are we using those feature for? NFC is a great example. What exactly are we using NFC today or tomorrow? Two years later I am already on a new smartphone. So if there is not something I can use now, I probably don't need it in my smartphone now. I think smart phone is getting into the territory where new inventions are seldom useful. We have at a point that smart phone are fairy complete. Faster processor beyond a certain point won't help my day to day use. Same as having more RAM. Screen size is a personal choice and some people will like it. I think Samsung list is actually expose a big problem. How many of the Apple target audience understand what those feature on the list do?

A lot of the online 10 minute iphone 5 demo reviews already start asking about the construction of Samsung and the easy of use question (especially for woman who tends to have smaller hand) of S3 against Iphone 5. The plastic shell construction of S3 used to be o.k., now it is questionable of taste. Iphone 5 set the bar for light weight and thinnest. And it looks like a blockbuster now. So let see what other company can do to match it.. I bet it will take at least another 9 months before anyone can match it. It is much harder than it seems to get a phone that slim and light weight but yet have enough speed and handle LTE. Good, bad or indifferent: the brand, the look, the feel, the construction and the design is going to get more and more important going forward as almost all smartphone can fill 90% of user's basic needs on a mobile device.

matttye

It looks for Bluetooth, Kies Air, etc devices and also updates your auto-sync accounts.

bogatyr
Advertising is misleading by nature. They want you to buy their product so of course their ads are biased in their favor.

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 05:13 PM
Advertising is misleading by nature. They want you to buy their product so of course their ads are biased in their favor.

Exactly!

At least Samsung are just generous with the truth, whereas Apple tells outright lies like being the thinnest smartphone.

dukebound85
Sep 15, 2012, 05:13 PM
That's why I said "most".

Not to be pedantic but source? You are just making statements with no backing.

I guess you can say almost anything when you have ambiguous qualifiers in the statements such as "most" huh?

Moshe1010
Sep 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
I fail to see how it will only be 100,000 in stock when last year AT&T alone reported taking 200,000 pre-orders for the 4S before being sold out thats not including Sprint, Verizon or international carriers. My Previous comment was an example of what to expect, people tend to forget that was just pre-order stock and the official release is on the 21st that is when the real numbers come in and then we shall see.
What part of "(I'm just throwing the numbers as an example)" you didn't understand?

JoltinJoe
Sep 15, 2012, 05:23 PM

Good point. May I change "inferior" to "the company with more to gain"? Then I think you'll agree that Apple has ground to make up in the desktop realm. But when it comes to the post-PC era, Apple has Windows Phone dominated.

jesusplay
Sep 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
if the galaxy x ran iOS I'd buy it lol

faams
Sep 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
What part of "(I'm just throwing the numbers as an example)" you didn't understand?

I understood it all i fail to understand your example throwing numbers such as 100,000 as i said when AT&T last year reported to having sold 200,000 by it self. My point was to show you that even the numbers you were throwing around didn't even meet what apple had sold.

BoxerGT2.5
Sep 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
How is this any different from the old "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercials? Did you folks so disgusted by what Samsung ran condemn apple just the same?

famoussasjohn
Sep 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
This one?

LOL
Gotta love Samsung, they were changing their charging ports every release, and up until maybe a year ago, they changed it to USB. Apple changes it after so many years from the 30 pin connector and it's the end of the world? If they weren't afraid, they wouldn't need to resort to this pathetic advertisement.

Maverick713
Sep 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
Turn over to mute (a Nokia innovation) and picture-in-picture are nice, but I doubt I'll ever see an Apple phone with a "shake to update" feature.

it does have shake to shuffl songs when in the iPod app, I hate it when I'm on the treadmill my songs stop in the middle and start a new one it took me a few days to figure out why it was doing that.

duction
Sep 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't loose any sleep over it guys, Samsung phones are just cheap alternatives to iPhones for people who won't spend money on a decent product. :)

physicsguy13
Sep 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
The iPhone 5 has 1 gig of ram? Do we even know that?

Maybe Samsung knows because they sold it to Apple? Just curious...

I was wondering about this too. I haven't seen anything that confirms the RAM in the iPhone 5.

3rd Rock
Sep 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
Android/Samsung lovers listen up........

You still have to understand people. We are different.....Even after seeing the comparisons between the two smartphones, I still want the iPhone 5. Just because of the longer laundry list that the Samsung have compared to the iphone, the Samsung IS still too big for me, OS not as refined, and some of the items listed that the iphones does not have, are not important to me. So why are the Samsung fanboys still trying to whine about how great their smartphone is. I and many really don't care. REALLY ! :p

PedroDias
Sep 15, 2012, 05:36 PM

How long did it take for samsung to sell 20 million? well, read your own text

The Cupertino, California company may sell up to 10 million iPhone 5 devices in the first week, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who was quoted in a CNET report. In October 2011, Apple sold 4 million iPhone 4S units during three days after its release.

Rogifan
Sep 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
Keep doing it Samsung. Eventually it will backfire as people don't like to be called morons.

tigress666
Sep 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
Honestly, as I said in the other thread about this ad, I think it's a pretty clever ad.

I think you people forget that this isn't aimed at the people who are die hard fans of one or the other OS, this is aimed at people who aren't die hards and just maybe didn't even realize there are other phones out there.

I think it was well done and I think it will do the job, get people to at least give them a look (get them curious about the phone they are talking about).

It doesn't have to be accurate, it just has to convince people that it is or might be better.

quasinormal
Wow is Apple living in Samsung's head rent free. :D. Has Apple ever mentiond Samsung sepcifically in a keynote or ad?

Why is Samsung getting a free ride on a Mac site. How many Android sites have an iOS forum? I'm sick of hearing from the Samsung shills, who I suspect have been orchestrated somehow by some publicity machine, harping the same tired clichés to people who aren't interested in moving from the apple ecosystem.

I've said it before jokingly, but this time I'm serious, Macrumors should reject non Mac/iOS browsers, before this farce overwhelms the forum and drives away more people than it already has.

Yester5
iOS is the BEST platform I have ever used. That makes the sale for me.

JS82712
Here's a better (more accurate) version of the ad
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A23N91MCUAAvAA0.jpg

matttye
I'm just glad apple didn't add NFC - i hate that idea...i've heard you don't need to add pin to make a payment - what if your phone is stolen and made the payment fast before you find out?

Again some1 will make another device which can tab on your back pocket in public area without you knowing it?

I really had enough this fight between Apple and Samsung, simply you cant force people to buy this product just because it had more stuff then other - it is real childish!! let people decided what's best for them.

1. You would passcode protect your phone, or the app you use to make the payment, so you would still need to enter a PIN of some form to make a payment. Also, every so often the NFC terminals (at least in the UK) do ask for a PIN number.

2. NFC is only active when the screen is on and the phone is unlocked. Somebody could only therefore steal your bank details without you knowing it if your phone was switched on, unlocked and ready to make a payment (probably a 0.000000000001% chance of this ever happening).

Educate yourself before making posts. Please.

tigress666
Sep 15, 2012, 05:40 PM

Actually, Pepsi is big enough on their own as a name they don't need to (people know what Pepsi is without Pepsi telling them they exist). They are one of the rare companies that don't need to that do anyways. And I think they are very clever with their ads (as does a teacher I had back in college who was teaching us psychology of advertising who also worked for Coca Cola... who mentioned they are the exception to the rule that you don't mention your competition unless you don't have the name brand recognition).

JS82712
Sep 15, 2012, 05:41 PM
790 Hours of Standby time??? 32 days? Thats if the device is powered off right?

and Samsung clearly advertises 8hr of talk time on their own website.

It's sad to see a company not knowing the specs of their own products.

Jumpie
Sep 15, 2012, 05:44 PM
Love how they don't mention iCloud or anything yet add all the rip off stuff in a big list while bundling all the apple features into "ios6"

Right? Like Apple's stealing all those good ideas from hackers who thought them up. We wouldn't even have the App Store if it weren't for Cydia.

greytmom
Sep 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
You guys have to admit that the "totally different plug" is hilarious.

Feed Me
Sep 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11800282/hmm.png

----------

We wouldn't even have the App Store if it weren't for Cydia.

That's a load of crap and you know it. I hope you feel ashamed.

tigress666
Sep 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
1. You would passcode protect your phone, or the app you use to make the payment, so you would still need to enter a PIN of some form to make a payment. Also, every so often the NFC terminals (at least in the UK) do ask for a PIN number.

And this is where I ask how is NFC any more convenient than taking my credit card out and swiping it (or debit card and entering a pin). one has to have me turn on my phone, unlock it and enter a pin. The other has me take out a card, swipe it, and at worst enter a pin into a device that is already ready and waiting for me to do so (Rather than having to turn it on to do so).

I'm still confused how NFC is supposed to make my life easier?

(not that I wouldn't complain if the iphone had it, I always like gadgety things. But I have a feeling it would be like the stupid chip in my amex card, some thing I only deal with cause i liked gadgety things and not cause it made my life any easier. In fact it seems like it would be more awkward to use honestly).

faams
Sep 15, 2012, 05:50 PM
Right? Like Apple's stealing all those good ideas from hackers who thought them up. We wouldn't even have the App Store if it weren't for Cydia.

i wouldn't say they are completely stealing , apple noticed that people like certain features in jailbroken iPhones apple found the people responsible for creating those features and hired them to work on iOS.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/26/apple-hires-iphone-hacker-nicholas-allegra-comex/

http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-hires-peter-hajas-developer-of-the-jailbreak-tweak-mobilenotifier/

Just like other companies did
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/266255/7-hackers-who-got-legit-jobs-from-their-exploits

jimmer-uk
Sep 15, 2012, 05:51 PM
My 4k Brietling doesn't do much but it does what it should well and with beauty. A 2p Casio does it all, but not very well

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
Image (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A23N91MCUAAvAA0.jpg)

S3 has Panorama and 720p front facing camera.
"All new maps with flyover" - who cares about flyover? Gimmicky feature.

Other than that, fair play ;)

Radiating
Sep 15, 2012, 05:53 PM
Samsung's ads really remind me of old car commercials that used to use half truths and one dimensional comparisons to compare economy cars to Ferrari's and BMW's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06TLbmXhVtM

My Analysis of Samsung's Comparison.

- 4.8" Screen (this is not a positive or a negative)

This is can be a positive or a negative, 4.8" can be way too large is and is uncomfortable to use and makes the device not fit in your pocket.

- 1280 x 720 resolution vs 1136 x640 (misleading)

The purpose of having higher resolution is to improve the quality of the image. There is a certain threshold where you have acheived the maximum benefit from resolution from the pixels and they become seamless. According to Apple's definition which hold true in the real world the iPhone 5 has enough pixels per inch that it's pixels are seamless it is a retina display in other words. The Galaxy S3 has far fewer pixels per inch than the iPhone 5, meaning that while it has more total resolution, it actually is worse than the iPhone 5 at acheiving the purpose of having more resolution, which is a sharper image with seamless pixels. It's like saying you have more horsepower than your competitor, while having slower acceleration.

- 600 hours more standby time (meaningless)

Standby time is a meaningless measure of a Phone's battery life, these numbers are all completely irrelevant. we're talking 10 days standby vs 40 days, nobody buys a phone so that they can put it in a drawer with the power on for a month.

-8 hours talk time vs 11.4 (very misleading)

Both of those figures have actually been tested out and found to be more or less valid. Except the actual findings were 9.2 hours for the iPhone 4S (which Apple has said the iPhone 5 will match or beat) and 10.2 for the Galaxy S3.

That's just 3G though. If we consider LTE talk time, the iPhone 5 would have 8 hours while the Samsung Galaxy S3 has been tested to have an LTE talk time of 6.7 hours. This is because the iPhone 5 uses the newest LTE chips that have revolutionarily low battery drain.

-2GB Ram (misleading)

Android is far far worse of a resourse hog than the iPhone but either way few smartphones will ever make use of any ram above 1GB. There will be no performance difference between the two due to ram

- A totally different lightning plug vs Standard Micro USB plug. (meaningless)

It's just a plug, both will eventually terminate in a USB plug or a peripheral. The real difference would be what comes after the plug ie the cable, which people will mainly care about the price of the lightning stuff until someone releases a chinese versions for $0.50

Lightning also has a much higher throughput than USB.

- NFC + Removable battery (Valid)

- All the other marketing terms for their features. (very very misleading)

Each OS has thousands of features the other OS doesn't. To not list the many featurs iOS has while listing yours is and outright atempt to be misleading.

In any comparison between the features between the two it's worth noting that the iPhone 5 is made of better materials, has the Samsung Exynos 5 processor (Apple's version of) versus the SIII's Samsung Exynos 4 in the international Galaxy SIII. (The Us Galaxy SIII of course has different slower procesor than the SIII international version too). It's also thinner, has better microphones, has better call quality, has better cameras and better speakers.

mojo pin
Sep 15, 2012, 05:54 PM

Exactly. The fact that they felt they even needed to go that route shows that they feel threatened. If the "answer" was really so clear and it was such a no-brainer, they wouldn't even need to advertise it in the first place. We would all already "just know" and wouldn't have to be told.

In my opinion, it's a bit childish and petty. Then again, there's obviously some bad blood there because of the whole lawsuit thing.

Not everyone wants your phablet, Samsung. Get over it.

Squid7085
Sep 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
S3 has Panorama and 720p front facing camera.
"All new maps with flyover" - who cares about flyover? Gimmicky feature.

Other than that, fair play ;)

And half of the "features" that Samsung listed in their ad aren't as gimmicky as Flyover? ;)

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
And this is where I ask how is NFC any more convenient than taking my credit card out and swiping it (or debit card and entering a pin). one has to have me turn on my phone, unlock it and enter a pin. The other has me take out a card, swipe it, and at worst enter a pin into a device that is already ready and waiting for me to do so (Rather than having to turn it on to do so).

I'm still confused how NFC is supposed to make my life easier?

(not that I wouldn't complain if the iphone had it, I always like gadgety things. But I have a feeling it would be like the stupid chip in my amex card, some thing I only deal with cause i liked gadgety things and not cause it made my life any easier. In fact it seems like it would be more awkward to use honestly).

You wouldn't have to turn your phone on.. surely it would already be turned on. If you mean turn the screen on, well that's nothing :p

It actually adds a layer of security over contactless debit and credit cards because you can use a PIN on your phone. NFC is slightly faster than putting your debit card in a card reader. I guess one of the other benefits is you can see your transaction history right there on your phone in realtime.

I think the hope is that the smartphone will completely replace the wallet eventually, like it's replaced so many other devices.

Rizzn
Sep 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11800282/hmm.png)

----------

That's a load of crap and you know it. I hope you feel ashamed.

I must ask. Is this the actual Feed Me?

pragmatous
Sep 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
iPhone has a lot of cool features.

Don't iPhones have a bunch of random, proprietary features like iMessage stuff like that?

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
And half of the "features" that Samsung listed in their ad aren't as gimmicky as Flyover? ;)

Yeah - I'm not condoning Samsung's ad in its' current form. They're really stretching for things to put in their list. The gestures they've listed aren't very useful IMO.

Another thing though, the Galaxy S3's FaceTime equivalent is probably Google Talk.. that supports video chat and is installed on Android by default :)

pragmatous
Sep 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
Yes iPhone has a 1.2 ghz quad core with rogue GPU (rumor but looks to be right - suppose to be really good) and 1GB of RAM.

The iPhone 5 has 1 gig of ram? Do we even know that?

Maybe Samsung knows because they sold it to Apple? Just curious...

MacWorld78
Sep 15, 2012, 06:07 PM

2. NFC is only active when the screen is on and the phone is unlocked. Somebody could only therefore steal your bank details without you knowing it if your phone was switched on, unlocked and ready to make a payment (probably a 0.000000000001% chance of this ever happening).

Educate yourself before making posts. Please.

Please accept my apology, I didn't realise that NFC would ask for the password. However I've tried Barclay contactless debit card - that won't even ask for the PIN number :eek: that's why I assume NFC would do the same things for quicker payment.

Once again thanks for pointing out!

pragmatous
Sep 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
It's what any company would do after losing a major PR event. It's SoP.

chambone
Sep 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
Well, they're right about the S3 being a big thing though.

Hankster
Sep 15, 2012, 06:13 PM

You're a fool. To even think that Apple didn't have millions of iPhones in stock already really shows how incompetent you are. It's clear you're too ignorant to even realize the facts.

Wait ONE MONTH. Lets see how many iPhone 5s are sold and how many S3s are sold - total. You're fooling yourself if you walk around with blinders on thinking the iPhone is just a joke and not a massive powerhouse in the smartphone industry.

The iPhone has OUTSOLD every phone ON THIS PLANET. That is a fact. Don't believe me? Look up the numbers. Not one phone has even come close to outselling ONE model of the iPhone.

Also, just to comment on the ad:

1. The Android operating system is sluggish and buggy. It is also not compatible with older phones (even six month old phones). iOS is smoother, has less bugs and has way more fun/useful apps.

2. NFC is a joke. I have not seen one person use this. I wouldn't use it. Who the heck doesn't carry around cash or a credit card while shopping? And, with all the hacks and bugs on Android there is NO WAY I'd keep my credit card info on a phone.

3. The S3 is a nice concept but the phone is too big. A friend of mine has one, I hate holding it. I don't have gorilla hands and he can't even use it with one hand. You must use two. Not everyone wants a five inch holder or a five inch bulge in their pocket.

egeek84
Sep 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
It doesn't take a genius to see that iOS and Apple products are better than cheap pieces of plastic with buggy/slow software

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
Please accept my apology, I didn't realise that NFC would ask for the password. However I've tried Barclay contactless debit card - that won't even ask for the PIN number :eek: that's why I assume NFC would do the same things for quicker payment.

Once again thanks for pointing out!

NFC-enabled phones are more secure than contactless debit cards because you can passcode-protect the apps that make payments.

It's the phone that will ask for a PIN/password rather than the NFC terminal, but apparently NFC terminals do occasionally ask for a PIN too, so you might even have to input two passcodes sometimes.

Presumably your phone itself will have some kind of lock on it too, so they'd have to get through the phone lock, through the app lock and maybe even through the PIN request by the NFC terminal.

It's like fort knox :p

----------

It doesn't take a genius to see that iOS and Apple products are better than cheap pieces of plastic with buggy/slow software

Somebody forgot to tell my phone that it should be buggy. Either that or it's being disobedient. :(

pgiguere1
Sep 15, 2012, 06:17 PM

Ahh you beat me to it. Here's mine:

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/2406/geniush.png

Mr Hill
Sep 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
Honestly the removable storage and possibly NFC (for the few people it's useful for) are the only things Samsung has. Those other features are for the most part useless gimmicks added to the phone just for the sake of having them.

Also Siri is far superior to S-Voice

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Ahh you beat me to it. Here's mine:

Image (http://imageshack.us/a/img834/2406/geniush.png)

The original image listed all of the comparable features next to each other.. yours just seems random. :p

lazard
Sep 15, 2012, 06:25 PM
non-issue. This is no different than Apple's "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

pgiguere1
Sep 15, 2012, 06:27 PM

This has already been debunked as fake a while ago. The 20 million "orders" were actually orders by carriers planned for a long period of time in the future. For example, they counted as sold if AT&T "ordered" 5 million GS3s for the next 6 months.

Those are not actual sales, and not orders made by customers either.

----------

The original image listed all of the comparable features next to each other.. yours just seems random. :p

I listed all comparable hardware features just like Samsung did, then mentioned lots of software features for one while ignoring most of the competitor's software features, again just like Samsung did.

I'll agree that my image is biased, its point was to show how biased Samsung's one was in the first place. I just reversed bias.

----------

I was personally convinced to buy an iPhone 5 but the "Palm Touch Mute Pause" feature just made me cancel my preorder.

Galaxy S III here I come! :cool:

tagy
Sep 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img267/6826/samsunggalaxysiiiantiipt.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/samsunggalaxysiiiantiipt.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

bigsexyy81
Sep 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Palm Swipe Capture? They had the nerve to list that incredible cheesy and useless feature? And S Voice is complete dog poo.

This isn't really surprising though. Samsung has been doing this stuff for awhile now. And hey, I'm sure this is somewhat effective towards the easily swayed/trendy crowd. It's tacky IMO, but I would be pulling out all the stops if I was an iPhone competitor, too.

DanteMann
Sep 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
A lot of butt-hurt fan kiddies today. Who gives a shlt about the add. It's just an add that forces people to see the facts. Nothing more, nothing less. So stop crying like Sammy just took your lunch money. Enjoy your new longPhone and don't worry about what any other person or Corporation thinks about your fruity little out dated phone. Seriously, just enjoy it. You feelin' me?

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
I listed all comparable hardware features just like Samsung did, then mentioned lots of software features for one while ignoring most of the competitor's software features, again just like Samsung did.

I'll agree that my image is biased, its point was to show how biased Samsung's one was in the first place. I just reversed bias.

----------

I was personally convinced to buy an iPhone 5 but the "Palm Touch Mute Pause" feature just made me cancel my preorder.

Galaxy S III here I come! :cool:

No. Samsung deliberately listed a bunch of features that Apple had no competing features for. You listed a bunch of features that Samsung/Android does have competing features for, but failed to list them.

Your way is even more shady than Samsung's!

Skika
Sep 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
A lot of butt-hurt fan kiddies today. Who gives a shlt about the add. It's just an add that forces people to see the facts. Nothing more, nothing less. So stop crying like Sammy just took your lunch money. Enjoy your new longPhone and don't worry about what any other person or Corporation thinks about your fruity little out dated phone. Seriously, just enjoy it. You feelin' me?

Very nice projecting brah.

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Image (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/samsunggalaxysiiiantiipt.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Galaxy S3 has lost mode (Samsung Dive) in all versions of the software and Do Not Disturb (Blocking Mode) in the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update :) Google Talk has video chat which is a FaceTime competitor.

lazard
Sep 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
didn't realize Apple needed so many white knights.

pgiguere1
Sep 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
No. Samsung deliberately listed a bunch of features that Apple had no competing features for. You listed a bunch of features that Samsung/Android does have competing features for, but failed to list them.

Your way is even more shady than Samsung's!

Um no, Samsung didn't. They didn't list the way we could mute the iPhone, pinch to zoom, capture a picture quickly, scoll up to update and so on.

I could also have liste stuff on the GS3's side like S-Beam and S-Cloud but honestly nobody uses those compared to their Apple equivalent.

There's also the fact that mine is a joke whereas Samsung's is an actual ad that made the newspapers. Don't take this too seriously, I'm not insulting Samsung users, I'm just pointing out Samsung's bias with more bias of my own.

MacWorld78
Sep 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
NFC-enabled phones are more secure than contactless debit cards because you can passcode-protect the apps that make payments.

It's the phone that will ask for a PIN/password rather than the NFC terminal, but apparently NFC terminals do occasionally ask for a PIN too, so you might even have to input two passcodes sometimes.

Presumably your phone itself will have some kind of lock on it too, so they'd have to get through the phone lock, through the app lock and maybe even through the PIN request by the NFC terminal.

It's like fort knox :p

It's good to know that NFC is more secure then contactless debit cards,however I can't believe how come Barclays accepted contactless debit cards which can be expose much higher risk!

I saw this example from YouTube about NFC payment

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q87oIVIYbCM

tigress666
Sep 15, 2012, 06:45 PM

Uh, you are forgetting this is an ad to try to sell Samsung's phone, of course it is biased and going to use tricks like that. That's what ads do!

Anyways, in the end I think the ad will do what they wanted it to do, get people who were unaware there were other phones out there besides the iPhone to maybe get curious and check out that phone. It may not be accurate but that's not its job, its job is to get attention and to get people to consider their phone.

And it definitely got attention, for example we have four pages now discussing this ad. And I bet it will get some people curious enough to check out the Samsung phone. You have to remember, we are not its target audience at all (in fact why would they target people who already have their minds pretty set?).

pgiguere1
Sep 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
Did someone else notice how Samsung photoshopped the iPhone 5 to make it appear longer too?

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/2803/psdk.png

saberahul
Sep 15, 2012, 06:48 PM

Very well said.

mackinmike
Sep 15, 2012, 06:50 PM
The ad is true tho. The ip5 is nothing special. The next big thing is already here... The s3

By the way I have an ip5 pre ordered but I'm not a fanboi too afraid to state the ip5 is just catching up. Sigh...

Shadyriley
Sep 15, 2012, 06:52 PM

Actually I think it's lame that apple uses ios6 and iCloud to advertise for the iPhone 5 when you can get that on the 4, 4S, and the 3GS

spacebetween
Sep 15, 2012, 06:54 PM
It doesn't have to be accurate, it just has to convince people that it is or might be better.

And that about sums up Romney's entire campaign strategy, ha.

matttye
Sep 15, 2012, 06:55 PM
Um no, Samsung didn't. They didn't list the way we could mute the iPhone, pinch to zoom, capture a picture quickly, scoll up to update and so on.

I could also have liste stuff on the GS3's side like S-Beam and S-Cloud but honestly nobody uses those compared to their Apple equivalent.

There's also the fact that mine is a joke whereas Samsung's is an actual ad that made the newspapers. Don't take this too seriously, I'm not insulting Samsung users, I'm just pointing out Samsung's bias with more bias of my own.

They wouldn't list pinch to zoom as an iPhone feature when the S3 has it too. :p

Wuiffi
Sep 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think it's ironic that they even dare bringing up Android 4.0, when 4.1 Jelly Bean was released in June ....

That alone shows how much Android devices suck

Oppressed
Sep 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
Fixed.

tigress666
Sep 15, 2012, 07:01 PM
And that about sums up Romney's entire campaign strategy, ha.

Sadly I think it sums up politics in general. No one cares anymore about actually doing what is good for the country, it's all about making sure you make yourself look good and the opposition look bad. So don't actually be honest about something cause you know large amounts of people won't like it (such as actually coming out and say the drug war doesn't work and just is making things worse... no politician that actually wants to win vs. wants to do good will admit that cause that's a career killer).

But, we're digressing here ;).

oplix
Sep 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
samsung should add Dirt **** cheap quality to their long list of amenities.

DanteMann
Sep 15, 2012, 07:14 PM
Very nice projecting brah.

But are ya feelin' me brah? Hey brah? You feelin' me? brah?

AFDoc
Sep 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
I'm gay... what is gay about this? Gay people definitely aren't cheap or any more or less like Samsung.

Get a damn brain.

I support the cause but come one, gay has many outwardly not offensive ways it can be used. Homosexuals don't own the word. My sister uses the word gay to describe many things and she is herself a homosexual so lighten up Francis.

BlueKhufu
Sep 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
I know not all will agree, this is how i feel about the subject. Samsung needs to be careful with these type of ad campaigns. Remember the "I'm a Mac" campaign? Nearly every one of those ads felt as if Apple was mocking me through my use of Windows. It didn't bother me in a huge way that affected me personally, but the cumulative effect on me was I loathed Apple and never would have bought a Mac. In fact, they annoyed me enough that when the first iPhone came out I truly hoped it would fail miserably and sink the company. It wasn't until I saw some of the jailbreak community's work that I got a little bit interested (hey, it wasn't Apple that made it good, it was the jb people). I tried one out at Best Buy and a few weeks later I ended up getting one and I haven't looked back. I'm a fan of the iphone and I have a LOT more respect for what apple has done and even what they tried to do earlier in their existence. That being said though, I still don't own a Mac. The current Samsung ads - and the ones last year in particular - have turned me completely against a company I never thought twice about before. They aren't insulting a product I like, they are flat out attempting to insult me. I'm sure their flagship is a wonderful product, I'm sure under different circumstances I could have owned one and would have gotten used to it and been a fan (provided it was as integrated into my life as the iPhones, iPads, and AppleTVs have become), but I will never buy a phone from them, just as I am still turned off by Macs all these years later and will likely never buy one. If the only way to advertise a product is to mock those that don't use it, you have a problem beyond specs. Apple's current campaigns are nice, they show everyday uses for the products without coming off as arrogant braggarts (my opinion). I not only respect that, I sincerely appreciate it in this age of dirty campaign ads and anonymous internet vitriol.

phantomsd
Sep 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
The current Samsung ads - and the ones last year in particular - have turned me completely against a company I never thought twice about before.

Seems like they're at it again... I'm assuming this new commercial will air sometime around iDay/iPhone 5 launch...

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5392186/samsung_commercial_shoot_set20_1020_gallery_post.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/11/3314119/samsung-anti-apple-commercial-photos

Oh, Samsung... :rolleyes:

Oppressed
Sep 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
On the topic of "I'm a Mac" vs Samsung ads both relatively have the same messages, but one is playful and the other is vindictive. Remember it isn't what you say but how you say it.

Geckotek
Sep 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
It's all true though.

Not exactly, it's misleading. Specifically leaving out features on one side and adding on the other. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing a good portion of the features Samsung listed are available as apps on the iPhone.

Oh, and it makes a critical mistake of comparing processor and memory on systems running 2 different OSs. The S3 running on 1GB ram is laggy. Apples Oranges.

lilo777
Sep 15, 2012, 08:20 PM
I know not all will agree, this is how i feel about the subject. Samsung needs to be careful with these type of ad campaigns. Remember the "I'm a Mac" campaign? Nearly every one of those ads felt as if Apple was mocking me through my use of Windows. It didn't bother me in a huge way that affected me personally, but the cumulative effect on me was I loathed Apple and never would have bought a Mac. In fact, they annoyed me enough that when the first iPhone came out I truly hoped it would fail miserably and sink the company. It wasn't until I saw some of the jailbreak community's work that I got a little bit interested (hey, it wasn't Apple that made it good, it was the jb people). I tried one out at Best Buy and a few weeks later I ended up getting one and I haven't looked back. I'm a fan of the iphone and I have a LOT more respect for what apple has done and even what they tried to do earlier in their existence. That being said though, I still don't own a Mac. The current Samsung ads - and the ones last year in particular - have turned me completely against a company I never thought twice about before. They aren't insulting a product I like, they are flat out attempting to insult me. I'm sure their flagship is a wonderful product, I'm sure under different circumstances I could have owned one and would have gotten used to it and been a fan (provided it was as integrated into my life as the iPhones, iPads, and AppleTVs have become), but I will never buy a phone from them, just as I am still turned off by Macs all these years later and will likely never buy one. If the only way to advertise a product is to mock those that don't use it, you have a problem beyond specs. Apple's current campaigns are nice, they show everyday uses for the products without coming off as arrogant braggarts (my opinion). I not only respect that, I sincerely appreciate it in this age of dirty campaign ads and anonymous internet vitriol.

I agree with your observation about "I'm a Mac" ads but Samsung's add is very different. In those adds, Apple used "fat" and "stupid" guy who impersonated PC. That was offensive. And those ads were very light on substance and very heavy on insult. This Samsung ad just lists the facts. They are all correct. They may have skipped some relevant iPhone specs but such is the nature of all comparative advertising.

----------

Not exactly, it's misleading. Specifically leaving out features on one side and adding on the other. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing a good portion of the features Samsung listed are available as apps on the iPhone.

Oh, and it makes a critical mistake of comparing processor and memory on systems running 2 different OSs. The S3 running on 1GB ram is laggy. Apples Oranges.

In US, S3 is running on 2GB of RAM and it is not laggy. Not a single review said it was laggy. All of them said it was the fastest phone on the market (especially the quad core version).

jca24
Sep 15, 2012, 08:23 PM
If you want a cheap plastic toy like phone with a donkeyed up os, get a samsung. If you want the best built, best user experience, best supported phone, get an iPhone.

:apple:

Geckotek
Sep 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
Interesting that the Samsung ad claims the iPhone 5 has 1GB of ram. :cool:

I noticed that as well. Wonder if they know or if it's conjecture?

----------

In US, S3 is running on 2GB of RAM and it is not laggy. Not a single review said it was laggy. All of them said it was the fastest phone on the market (especially the quad core version).

Correct, they had an opportunity to fix it. Point being, processor and memory specs are not correctly compared 1:1 when comparing an iOS device to an Android device.

spacebetween
I noticed that as well. Wonder if they know or if it's conjecture?

----------

Correct, they had an opportunity to fix it. Point being, processor and memory specs are not correctly compared 1:1 when comparing an iOS device to an Android device.

It's correct. There's an article on it on the front page of MR.

soya
http://s11.postimage.org/nf5qw9dcz/Screenshot_2012_09_15_at_15_23_08.png

:D

BlueKhufu
Sep 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
I agree with your observation about "I'm a Mac" ads but Samsung's add is very different. In those adds, Apple used "fat" and "stupid" guy who impersonated PC. That was offensive. And those ads were very light on substance and very heavy on insult. This Samsung ad just lists the facts. They are all correct. They may have skipped some relevant iPhone specs but such is the nature of all comparative advertising.

I apologize for not being more specific. The ads I'm referring to in my "be careful" warning were last years mockery of apple fans and the upcoming 2012 campaign featuring the same. The specific ad posted everywhere today I don't find offensive.

irDigital0l
Sep 15, 2012, 08:37 PM
Well...better stop using my iPhone and cancel iPhone 5 preorder because iPhone doesn't have 'shake to update'.

:rolleyes:

LOL

Sedrick
Sep 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
It's all true though.

I think it's a pretty damn good add, actually, too.

Timzer
Sep 15, 2012, 09:30 PM
Absolutely BRILLIANT!!! This add is doing exactly what it's supposed to, getting the blind followers all riled up and getting everyone else talking. When it comes to ads, the ones that get people talking are the most successful ones of all. Looking forward to the new Sammy ads and commercials. Sammy vs Apple is the new Mac Vs Pc of this generation. But in this round it's manufacturers instead of OS'. And I use the word manufacturer very loosely in Apple's case.

iphonefan74
Sep 15, 2012, 09:41 PM
Now that Apple has taken most their business elsewhere for the new iPhone build and the fact that they just sued Samsung for a billion dollars plus the fact that they are the 2 top dogs in the mobile phone industry, expect a war.

Rogifan
Sep 15, 2012, 09:45 PM
Why is Samsung getting a free ride on a Mac site. How many Android sites have an iOS forum? I'm sick of hearing from the Samsung shills, who I suspect have been orchestrated somehow by some publicity machine, harping the same tired clichés to people who aren't interested in moving from the apple ecosystem.

I've said it before jokingly, but this time I'm serious, Macrumors should reject non Mac/iOS browsers, before this farce overwhelms the forum and drives away more people than it already has.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some massive astroturfing going on by Samsung. Not sure I get why they think being obsessed with Apple makes them look good. :confused: If their products are superior then why waste their time on an inferior product? People shouldn't have to be convinced to buy a S III, it should be obvious.

----------

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!! This add is doing exactly what it's supposed to, getting the blind followers all riled up and getting everyone else talking. When it comes to ads, the ones that get people talking are the most successful ones of all. Looking forward to the new Sammy ads and commercials. Sammy vs Apple is the new Mac Vs Pc of this generation. But in this round it's manufacturers instead of OS'. And I use the word manufacturer very loosely in Apple's case.

Right because Samsung has like 5% market share and Apple has 90%. Sorry, Samsung isn't the scrappy underdog. And they have their fair share of sheep/fanboys too. ;)

Oppressed
Sep 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some massive astroturfing going on by Samsung. Not sure I get why they think being obsessed with Apple makes them look good. :confused: If their products are superior then why waste their time on an inferior product? People shouldn't have to be convinced to buy a S III, it should be obvious.

It seems as though Samsung is overcompensating for either their phones or self esteem.

Blorzoga
Sep 15, 2012, 09:47 PM

No, actually, Apple did win the case in the U.S. Just because it can be appealed doesn't mean they didn't win. And you do know that the judge in the US case was Korean, don't you. I guess that puts a little crimp in your brilliant theory.

Dmaynard83
Sep 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
Image (http://s11.postimage.org/nf5qw9dcz/Screenshot_2012_09_15_at_15_23_08.png)

:D

Sounds like sour grapes. CPU of the i5 blows the s3 out of the water. Plus it won't feel like a plastic toy from Mexico.

Better camera. Better OS. Better display. I mean Jesus Christ the s3 is huge, looks like people using a PSP for a phone.

pragmatous
Sep 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
That's one of the many reasons why I'm switching to iPhone. It's just annoying why android 4.1 comes out but can only go on x amount of phones even though there are phones only 4 months old and can't get the update.

I'm talking about my HTC Rezound - It took 5 months just to get android 4.0 on my phone officially. On top of that the update installs more bloatware on top of the bloat you already had. Slows down the phone to a crawl, kills the battery life, and frequent hang ups and reboots.

Google needs to do something about this and the fragmentation.

Rogifan
Sep 15, 2012, 10:30 PM
Apple needs to release an ad with this:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2b8p6c.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2cx7n9g.png

Nebulance
Sep 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
This is so childish.

ethana
Sep 15, 2012, 10:35 PM
I don't see how this add is going to convert many iPhone users. It basically calls them idiots to their face with the "it doesn't take a genius" line.

It may get people talking, but insulting potential customers never wins long term.

MattSepeta
Sep 15, 2012, 10:37 PM
Picture in Picture. It is 1998.

shyam09
Cant post pic :S check out the link

The image has already been posted, but if you want to add the image here is the code:
[*tIMG]http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/15/SAM12172-PrintWSJ10.87x21_copy_610x1179.jpg[*/tIMG]
just remove the " * "

jsmakr
I don't see how this add is going to convert many iPhone users. It basically calls them idiots to their face with the "it doesn't take a genius" line.

It may get people talking, but insulting potential customers never wins long term.

Ding ding

mustang07
Sep 15, 2012, 10:38 PM
"A totally different plug"

LOL. Great Ad. It's very misleading...But so is almost every ad attacking the other side of anything. Just look at the political ads...For a person who isn't a apple fanatic, this ad will be very effective.

daneoni
Sep 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
Black, sleek and mysterious vs fat, plasticky and comical. Then list a bunch of 'features' (tech jargon) that consumers won't even begin to register. Good move.

I personally cannot see what people see in the S3 but to each their own.

APlotdevice
I'm a little surprised they included weight. Do they actually think people like heavier phones? Also they are touting their awkward alternative to pinch to zoom as a feature?

tominco
Preface - While I use almost everything Apple (computers, iPods, iPad), I do use a low end Android Samsung phone. The only reason is that I really prefer T-Mobile over the horrid pricing of Verizon and ATT, and don't want to have only Edge. That will soon be resolved.

As I see it, there is only one thing that Samsung has over Apple. Samsung use a standard connector (micro-USB). And what makes the iPhone so much better than anything Samsung puts out? iOS.... The Android OS is just pales in comparison to iOS.

Pakaku
Sep 15, 2012, 10:41 PM

It's still the 'inferior' company comparing itself to the 'superior' company: The OS X market share was very low compared to Windows. And it's still pretty low today.

----------

I'm a little surprised they included weight. Do they actually think people like heavier phones?

Bigger numbers are 'better' ;)

ethana
Sep 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
I'm a Mac-I'm a PC were also great ads. But did they work? NO. Apple's marketshare didn't increase in any drastic way. Why? Because they insulted potential customers. Most people got defensive about why Apple was calling them a fool basically. Same thing will happen here with the Samsung ad.

Rogifan

Yeah how many people switched to a Mac because of the Mac v Pc ads?

dixido
Apple needs to release an ad with this:

Image (http://i45.tinypic.com/2b8p6c.jpg)

Image (http://i50.tinypic.com/2cx7n9g.png)

Yes, that would make the perfect ad.

utstudent
Sep 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
actually in this order: Galaxy Nexus > Galaxy S3 > iPhone 5
Pure android all the way.

subsonix
Sep 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
The s3 list is longer since they include software only features, but exclude them for iPhone.

Isn't iTunes and iCloud alone immensely more valuable than lame gimicks like "turn to mute" party tricks, yet non of them are mentioned of course.

wikus
Sep 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
Hilarious to see apple fanboys ******** over this seeing how Apple's been doing this same thing for YEARS against microsoft and the whole PC industry.

I guess everyone forgot about the 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ads, huh?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

AustinIllini
Sep 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/k4CBF.jpg)

Any feature with "S" in the name on the samsung side should be removed. S-Voice, S-Beam are absolutely useless.

With GoogleNow on the way, an advertisement for S-Voice is just silly.

rman726
Sep 15, 2012, 10:48 PM
Does anyone that cares about the iPhone 5 or SG3 actually read a newspaper anymore?

wikus
Sep 15, 2012, 10:49 PM

Ding ding

Oh, and Apple never did that with the I'm a Mac ads? Or any of their previous ads... like the lemmings one against IBM? Apple's got a long history of dishing it out, but now that apple is on the other end of the spectrum, youre all of a sudden shocked that its not just apple doing it?

Hypocrisy at its finest... and thats not even debatable.

cotak
Sep 15, 2012, 10:50 PM

Man you'd make a terrible Ad person but a pretty good bar room expert at advertising.

Why exactly would anyone care about that? It's not a high school popularity contest you know. The iphone's not the prom queen all the nerds wet dreams about.

coolbreeze
Sep 15, 2012, 10:50 PM
Hilarious to see apple fanboys ******** over this seeing how Apple's been doing this same thing for YEARS against microsoft and the whole PC industry.

Yeah, Samsung fights back and all hell breaks loose around here. :rolleyes:

(yes, I'm aware of the hipster TV commercial by Samsung)

It's a good ad. The iPhone isn't for everyone (including me). That's just reality folks.

It's business. Why would anyone expect Samsung (or any competitor for that matter) to just lay down and take it? Kids these days...

tbobmccoy
Sep 15, 2012, 10:51 PM

I don't mind them advertising. I think it's funny that they didn't make it Hardware vs hardware; they had to throw in software features instead, while leaving a LOT out of the iPhone. Selective, yes, but that's the only ground they can hold :)

Jofcee
Sep 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
There's no doubt that Samsung has great technology the problem is the sorry OS installed that is what makes the difference
Putting a big screen on a iPhone wouldn't be a problem for apple but they decided to make the iPad instead

Sardonick007
Sep 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
Looks like Sammy is scared. Phone wars are looking more and more like political ads everyday, and it's starting to piss me off as a consumer.

gorskiegangsta
This week's news:

Samsung releases anti iPhone 5 ads
Apple yawns and sells a record number of iPhone 5's

tekmoe
iPhone 5? LOL. Love my Galaxy S3!!!!

subsonix
Sep 15, 2012, 10:54 PM

The difference is that Apple makes a complete platform, compiler, programming language, operating system and hardware. Samsung is just an OEM, what makes them significantly different from any other Android handset?

Apple showed general example use cases in those ads, Samsung could never do that because non of those bullet points would be very appealing when presented as a use case.

bigloudbang
Sep 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
It's a love hate relationship between the two companies.

ethana
Sep 15, 2012, 10:56 PM

And look how well that helped Apple... barely at all! Market share was still in the tank.

----------

iPhone 5? LOL. Love my Galaxy S3!!!!

Wow, you signed up just to say that huh?

Tiger8
Sep 15, 2012, 10:57 PM

5 guys? That's your standard for a good burger? Lol :D

Blakjack
Samsung is a sad ars company. I use to respect them but their just too sad to want to be associated with. They are complete phonies. This ad is the most misleading thing I've ever seen in my life. It's almost insulting. They assume consumers are airheads and will fall for that trash they are speaking.

Sardonick007
After reading the so called spec list provided on the ad, I find nothing over the iPhone that the S3 has which would make me want it. All that built S-fodder is just, well, fodder.

Rogifan
Sep 15, 2012, 10:58 PM

Yeah that really turned around their market share in desktop operating systems didn't it. People don't like being called idiots.

But I would imagine more people use iPhones by choice than do Windows. Windows is ubiquitous, especially in the enterprise. If you use a Windows PC all day at work your personal computer will most likely be a Windows PC. I think Samsung will have a harder time convincing people that iPhone buyers
purchase an iPhone because they don't know any better.

tekmoe
Sep 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Wow, you signed up just to say that huh?

Ummm yeah...right...

coolbreeze
Sep 15, 2012, 11:00 PM
Samsung is a sad ars company. I use to respect them but their just too sad to want to be associated with. They are complete phonies. This ad is the most misleading thing I've ever seen in my life. It's almost insulting. They assume consumers are airheads and will fall for that trash they are speaking.

You've never touched an S3 with that naive banter.

It may not suit you, but it's a great phone.

cotak
Sep 15, 2012, 11:00 PM

Sometimes I think the people on this forums are all cranky old men shaking their sticks at those damn kids and their new fan-dangled thing. And just like those old men in my mind they don't know jack about technology. All your concerns about NFC is unfounded. If you have a recently issued mastercard chances are you already have NFC payment solution in your pocket.

Ok google wallet works just like mastercard paypass. Which is NFC based but there are security features as follows:

1) The transaction is protected cryptographically. So someone trying to read your phone or your paypass enabled master card is going to have to first successfully crack the mastercard encryption key. Which is not impossible. However, the key etc on the app is much easier to update than on the card which has to be replaced.

2) There is a (in canada) 40 or 50 dollar limit to paypass transaction. So if someone steals your credit card (or your phone without a lockscreen code and google wallet PIN) they can only charge 50 bucks at most via NFC. If someone steals your credit card you are in much worse position anyhow as they can use the info on it to go online to buy much more than 50 dollars of stuff. And as for google wallet THERE IS A PIN. So it's actually safer than your plain old credit card. Not hard really credit cards are extremely unsafe if you think about it.

3) You are not liable for fraudulent transaction on your credit card. I have had my Visa info stolen before. All you have to do is sign a form and the credit card company takes care of all the fraudulent charges.

The reason why Apple doesn't have NFC yet is because Apple hasn't figure out how to build an NFC system that stacks the monetary advantage their way. The longer they wait the less likely that's going to happen as well. Both VISA and Mastercard already have their own NFC systems with Mastercard having taken a lead in Canada (although both systems are basically interoperable)

Rogifan
Sep 15, 2012, 11:01 PM
After reading the so called spec list provided on the ad, I find nothing over the iPhone that the S3 has which would make me want it. All that built S-fodder is just, well, fodder.

I'd love to know how many Android fans use or like TouchWiz. My guess is they buy the S III and then root the device.

subsonix
Sep 15, 2012, 11:02 PM

On the PC side vendor included software is often referred to as bloat, and usually the first thing people do is to uninstall it. I wonder if that is possible in this case.

applefanDrew
Yeah, Samsung fights back and all hell breaks loose around here. :rolleyes:

(yes, I'm aware of the hipster TV commercial by Samsung)

It's a good ad. The iPhone isn't for everyone (including me). That's just reality folks.

It's business. Why would anyone expect Samsung (or any competitor for that matter) to just lay down and take it? Kids these days...

Can't speak for others but I don't care if they want to make an ad about their phone and how it's better than iPhone. I would just like to see an Android ad that doesn't involve checking off specs on a spec sheet. Apple is all about the UX, from unboxing to iCloud to Passbook and everything in between. And all Samsung can say is "We have a quad core whosey whatsey processor with a gigantic, unwieldy screen." Give me a break. Give users a great experience and they will line up to buy your stuff. That's what Apple has figured out atm while Samsung just doesn't get it.

watchthisspace
I like competition. Give more awareness of your products as a great alternative to iPhone and get more basic consumers aware.

In the end it will give more pressure for Apple to release better devices.

Thank you Samsung for having the balls to do so.

OT2000
Sep 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
Ooooh, old folk all over the country will be tripping over themselves to get a new S3.

iLoveMyApple
Lol, Samsung.

alexxxhp
http://postimage.org/image/t6y3rnm4n/

Dionte
True as it might be the iPhone is still gonna tap that ***.

iphonefan74
Sep 15, 2012, 11:04 PM
Looks like Sammy is scared. Phone wars are looking more and more like political ads everyday, and it's starting to piss me off as a consumer.

I think Apple are the ones who are scared given the lawsuits and them trying to block Samsung phones. I don't see Apple going after HTC or Motorola. Its Samsung who poses a huge threat and Apple knows it.

solarguy17
I've started using the hash tag #TheNextBigThing to talk about how excited I am for my new iPhone 5. All iPhone fans should to the same! "Borrow" their slogan.

wovel

Seems like Samsung's biggest worry is adjectives. Some of that stuff on their spec list must just be made up words. They don't actually refer to any features.

macosxuser01
Sep 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
All I got to say to this ad is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Tilt to Zoom? What the hell does that mean??? Plus the who there right mind likes Android over iOS?

marsk
IPHONE 5 : 3.95 oz weight
vs.
GALAXY S III : 4.7 oz weight

Samsung they think weight heavier is also a "feature"? o_O

Err0xx

Um. The courts sided with Apple in, what, one court out of about 20? lol.

Apple = US company = US advantage. Rest of the world sees the BS Apple sues over.

wovel
Sep 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
I think Apple are the ones who are scared given the lawsuits and them trying to block Samsung phones. I don't see Apple going after HTC or Motorola. Its Samsung who poses a huge threat and Apple knows it.

Samsung has filed 4 separate ITC cases trying to block iPhone sales in the past 24 months. So far 2 have failed and 2 are in process. This is in addition to countless injunctions Samsung has sought all over the world.

I am not sure you are objectively viewing the legal landscape.

macosxuser01
Sep 15, 2012, 11:07 PM
http://postimage.org/image/t6y3rnm4n/

Isn't the white headphones patent infringement? Lol:p

turtlez
Samsung reminds me of someone that just can't be at peace. I always find it amusing how each Samsung ad has to target a competitor and put them down rather than keep the spotlight on their own product. It goes to show they are hurting. Everyone deep down knows the iPhone is nicer, even the Apple haters (especially).

cotak
The difference is that Apple makes a complete platform, compiler, programming language, operating system and hardware. Samsung is just an OEM, what makes them significantly different from any other Android handset?

Apple showed general example use cases in those ads, Samsung could never do that because non of those bullet points would be very appealing when presented as a use case.

Samsung does have such ads. They aren't bad at all. They just don't spend as much on tv ads as Apple does.

wovel
Um. The courts sided with Apple in, what, one court out of about 20? lol.

Apple = US company = US advantage. Rest of the world sees the BS Apple sues over.

The ITC just sided against Samsung.

I believe only the UK has ruled in Samsung's favor so far.

marioguarneros
Sep 15, 2012, 11:08 PM

You hit the nail right in the head my friend. Perfectly put indeed!

cisco1138
I love how the apple dispplay is off where as the samsung is on :p

At first glance, it looked as if tho the Galaxy's display was shattered, took a second look to realize it's a dandelion!

CrAkD
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r159/yourcrakd/iphonesamsung.jpg

I wonder if its too late to get my version to the WSJ

i.mac
Sep 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
It's a love hate relationship between the two companies.

Yup, samedung loves to copy apple, apple hates it.

blizaine
The real question is why would samsung put a weed as their wallpaper?

Mechinyun
Guys - everyone likes to pick their favorite and defend it.

Sports

Cars

Religion :mad:

Dont sweat it so much.

Get what ya like.

Their is no "right" answer here.

:)

jonnysods
Apple needs good competition but this is childish. Samsung should just stick to promoting their okay phones and not sling dirt.

At least not in a courtroom anyways!

FactVsOpinion
Sep 15, 2012, 11:10 PM

And WHY NOT use a WHITE iPhone 5 and turn the damn SCREEN ON?

Black on dark blue obviously won't make much of an impression.

elpamyelhsa
Sep 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
I work in the IT industry. Once you have used a iPhone I don't know why you would go back to the S3. For me it the quality feel the iPhone has and to know the software just works. Some of my fellow work mates running S3 and other Android based tablets try to keep up with works integrated software that I can use on iPhone and iPad onsite, They just leave the tablet at home cause its not reliable enough to work for serious business.

bsforever
Sep 15, 2012, 11:11 PM
As an aside, judging from the number of comments here and other apple sites, Android/Samsung fanboys spend an inordinately obsessive amount of time in iPhone forums/sites dissing all things Apple - it's almost like their choice of phone needs to validated - so they come here to air their fetid ravings; and Samsung themselves are the apotheosis of this defense mechanism/behavior too. A cursory look at android forums and you'd be hard pressed to find the apple fanboy trolling in there.

Relax gentlemen :)

Blue Sun
The S3 may be the better phone hardware wise, too bad Android is awful. Just too clunky for me, doesn't have any where near the fit and finish iOS does.

subsonix
Samsung does have such ads. They aren't bad at all. They just don't spend as much on tv ads as Apple does.

Do they show Samsung specific software add-ons that is not part of Android, and is still useful? Call me surprised.

cotak
Sep 15, 2012, 11:12 PM
All I got to say to this ad is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Tilt to Zoom? What the hell does that mean??? Plus the who there right mind likes Android over iOS?

It's actually: you put 2 fingers onto the screen and tilt the phone, or move it further/closer to you to make it zooms the picture. It's not a great feature but a patent for interacting with your phone like that could be had and than Apple would be barred from having similar controls on the iPhone.

And before you say it's pointless. How do we know? It would be useful for other situations like augmented reality.

Lots of people (more than 50% at last count according to IDC) in the world are according to you out of their minds.

Lancer
Ha this takes me back to the old Windows v Mac OS days :rolleyes:

If the iPhone is so bad then why do so many people want it, they can't all be falling for the Apple hype?

JoeG4
such as iCloud, which is FAR more integrated and reliable than Google.

It's kinda the opposite; Since Apple first started hosting services many years ago with .mac, Apple has had what seems like at least a dozen major downtime issues. They couldn't even keep the same name for the past 6 years or so, nevermind improve reliability - there was just a front page story on Apple having issues with iCloud downtime and I think that's already happened twice this year.

That, and to use iCloud you need a computer that's up to 6 years old. Google's services will run on almost anything, same with Microsoft's stuff, Dropbox's stuff, box.net's stuff, may I go on? The list is embarrassing.

There are stronger points that could be made: Jelly bean is probably the last reliable update the GS3 will get. Perhaps 50% of GS3 users will get the next big update, and the one after that? Forget it. The iPhone 5 will probably be supported through iOS 8 or 9. If you want to be smug about something, that's good enough!