Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
When re-charging battery, what is the best way to do this. For example, I've been leaving it plugged in overnight with screen down, if battery level is way low. But, now I'm thinking, what about heat buildup?'
Right now I'm typing this with it plugged in and battery level is up to 98%.
Then I would just put it to sleep for the night. The next day I take it to work with me to check emails during the day - putting it in sleep mode when not in use.
Even in sleep mode, won't battery level go down a bit?
When it's time to drain the battery and re-charge, I would like to do this overnight.
When people are talking about calibrating the battery - are they just talking about re-charging to full capacity?
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense -- I'm watching tv at the same time
:p

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
Cindy said:
When re-charging battery, what is the best way to do this. For example, I've been leaving it plugged in overnight with screen down, if battery level is way low. But, now I'm thinking, what about heat buildup?'
Right now I'm typing this with it plugged in and battery level is up to 98%.
Then I would just put it to sleep for the night. The next day I take it to work with me to check emails during the day - putting it in sleep mode when not in use.
Even in sleep mode, won't battery level go down a bit?
When it's time to drain the battery and re-charge, I would like to do this overnight.
When people are talking about calibrating the battery - are they just talking about re-charging to full capacity?
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense -- I'm watching tv at the same time
:p

When you plug it in to recharge, you can keep the lid opened or closed. Heat is not a problem with the lid closed providing the iBook is asleep (which it is unless you activate a hack to keep it awake). You can also charge it just fine with the lid opened and the screen asleep but the computer on, if you need to keep programs running or whatnot. The battery does drain while the iBook is sleeping, but it such a SMALL drain that it's hardly noticeable, and rather neglible. Calibrating the battery is draining it completely and then fully recharging. You can either use the iBook until it dies, or run the iBook unplugged and configured to NOT put itself to sleep, hence draining battery power until it dies.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
The best way to use a lithium-ion battery is just to charge it whenever you get a chance. You don't have to worry about heat build-up.

In sleep mode, the battery level goes down a little bit. In my experience, it's about 5-10% a day if just left to sleep for 24 hours. This can be more or less
depending on the state of your battery.

Calibrating the battery is basically draining it completely and then letting it recharge to full capacity. This can be done overnight.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.