Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
I was so worried about losing Google Maps. While I feel that G Maps was an easier system I am relieved to say that Apple's approach is not so bad.

'Embark NYC' is not showing on the list of Transit Apps. If you search for an address and ask to get subway directs you are taken directly to the Embark NYC app and shown how to get there. Try it out it works great!

So relieved and cannot wait for more apps to be integrated!

Aaron
aaronshort.com

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Faster than Goole Maps, vectors work much better offline and Transit is working well. The only thing I do not like is that you have to zoom in more to get the street names sometimes. Otherwise it is better than Google Maps!

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I was so worried about losing Google Maps. While I feel that G Maps was an easier system I am relieved to say that Apple's approach is not so bad.

'Embark NYC' is not showing on the list of Transit Apps. If you search for an address and ask to get subway directs you are taken directly to the Embark NYC app and shown how to get there. Try it out it works great!

So relieved and cannot wait for more apps to be integrated!

Aaron
aaronshort.com

I just got the Embark NYC update as well, but don't have iOS 6 yet. Google maps is great, because it integrates the walking + transit directions.

Do the iOS 6 maps give you walking directions to the nearest station before pushing you to the Embark app? Does Embark push you back to iOS 6 maps once the transit directions are done?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I did try it. It works pretty nicely, but I wish they could create some sort of overlay within Maps itself. I don't necessarily see an advantage to just going in embark NY itself and routing from there.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I did try it. It works pretty nicely, but I wish they could create some sort of overlay within Maps itself. I don't necessarily see an advantage to just going in embark NY itself and routing from there.

I'm assuming it opens the Embark app with the routing information programmed in, is that not the case?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I'm assuming it opens the Embark app with the routing information programmed in, is that not the case?

That is the case. I just don't know why I would open up Apple maps and type in the information and have it send me to the app when I could just open the app in the first place. I really want to like the new maps. To an extent, I really like them more than Google, but they have a long way to go and I don't think the way they are doing transit is the correct direction.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
And not many live in NYC. there is no app for Seattle that does what Google map does. So it's either go to the kludgy Metro website or pray for Google to release a map app.

Features missing all over the place - why is IOS6 in this condition? was Steve that essential to Apple?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
And not many live in NYC. there is no app for Seattle that does what Google map does. So it's either go to the kludgy Metro website or pray for Google to release a map app.

Features missing all over the place - why is IOS6 in this condition? was Steve that essential to Apple?

maps.google.com is pretty much just as functional, just less pretty :)

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Actually you could just use the Embark app but I guess if you enter the info in Maps first then if you switch back to that on arrival you can see where you are going while also seeing what else is around...

Embark is cool, they need to make apps for every city and then Apple will probably buy them and integrate the data into iOS 7! lol

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

What a clumsy joke. What if you want to see where you are while on the transit to see what stop to get off at with GPS? Something that works really well on Google Maps today and I use all the time.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
What a clumsy joke. What if you want to see where you are while on the transit to see what stop to get off at with GPS? Something that works really well on Google Maps today and I use all the time.

HopStop and Bing both allow for this, and they are both free :)

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Good point, you can also use Siri and say "show me TRANSIT directions to 58th and 7th avenue' and it will take you straight to the routing screen where you select your app of choice and then it loads the directions.

This is AWESOME!

I hope they let us set our default Transit App and then it will load the directions immediately...

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Embark NYC is useless for people commuting from NJ (Jersey City, Hoboken, etc) into NYC and back.

Apple is a POS for this move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.