PDA

View Full Version : Your experience on using the MBP on the bus please

hajime
Sep 16, 2012, 02:22 AM
Hello, considering to get a MBA for portability. I commute on the bus twice a day. Each trip lasts about 30 minutes. Could anybody who uses their MBA on the bus share their experience? Is it comfortable to read and type while sitting on the bus? I suppose that there is a risk that somebody may hit and damage the laptop by accident. Thanks.

Puevlo
Sep 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
Couldn't you compress all your threads into one?

tsboy69
Sep 16, 2012, 02:37 AM
Hello, considering to get a MBA for portability. I commute on the bus twice a day. Each trip lasts about 30 minutes. Could anybody who uses their MBA on the bus share their experience? Is it comfortable to read and type while sitting on the bus? I suppose that there is a risk that somebody may hit and damage the laptop by accident. Thanks.

2nd place here for this question. Of course there is a risk someone can grab your laptop and throw it to the ground. The air minus the cord is under three pounds. Try going to the cupboard and see if you might have one lb. things. Grab three of them, sit down and put them on your lap. That how heavy the Air is.

million7
Sep 16, 2012, 03:30 AM
I never use my air on the bus, but using it on a train ride would be nice. Since train rides are usually smooth, quiet and most have tables.

Ultimately it depends, but if the bus you take isn't crowded all the time and you live in a safe area where you're not in danger of getting your laptop stolen then go for it.

The buses I take are usually crowded and full of people, most people just stand up to fit more people in the bus, so a macbook air would be out of the question for me. Also someone might fall on me and my air if the bus had to make an abrupt stop.

Azorro
Sep 16, 2012, 03:33 AM
I tried using my 13" once or twice on a less crowded bus/tram and it was ok. The 11" would fit perfectly here. If you think your buses are safe, that is. ;)

dcorban
Sep 16, 2012, 07:33 AM
I've used my 13" on a crowded bus with my iPhone connected via USB for internet access. I had no problem.

hajime
Sep 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
Given the small screen and possibly bumpy ride, can you read the words clearly if you have the MBP on your lap? I suppose it may not be safe to use the MBA in a crowed bus as somebody may break it by accident.

Tartarus
Sep 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
To be honest, if you can afford it, get an ipad for the bus if youre going to be doing only minor productivity work/light reading, and a macbook pro for your work when you get there.

Mrbobb
Sep 16, 2012, 10:40 AM
If u don't get mugged as soon as u get off ur stop.

Then with busses jarring/sudden stops etc? crowd... I don't think so. iPad better, at least there you are always holding it with at least one hand.