PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Dual 1Ghz processors for G4 Quicksilver

MacPig
Sep 16, 2012, 09:03 AM
I'm really beginning to notice that my beloved G4 QS is getting a bit behind the times. It's currently running a 733Mhz chip and 10.4 but I feel an upgrade to Leopard and just that extra oomph would really help what is becoming my main machine get the job done faster. So guys and gals, if you know of anyone selling dual processors or anywhere I can get my hands on them at a reasonable price, I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks! MacPig

Zotaccian
Sep 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
Well eBay is a good place to look. You also need new heatsink.

Quicksilver uses 133MHz system bus (FSB) and if you cannot find 1GHz model, maybe you could install Dual 867Mhz version intended for MDD's but I'm not sure, someone here probably knows.

However, if you wish to truly speed up things, forget PowerPC and get Intel Mac, perhaps with OS X 10.6 as maximum since it supports Rosetta, in case you absolutely need to run PowerPC programs.

Zeke D
Sep 16, 2012, 10:43 AM
As long as you have 2GB RAM and at least a 64mb video card, Leo will run just fine on a 733mhz G4. I run it on a digital audio 733 with 1.5gb and have no issues.

MacPig
Sep 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
Well eBay is a good place to look. You also need new heatsink.
Quicksilver uses 133MHz system bus (FSB) and if you cannot find 1GHz model, maybe you could install Dual 867Mhz version intended for MDD's but I'm not sure, someone here probably knows.

I'm not sure if the processors are compatible between generations of G4, I can only get 1.5GB of RAM in it and that's what I have.

Bug-Creator
Sep 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
MDD/FW800 use a different type of CPU-modules than QS and older so no luck in useing a MDD-module.

CPUs for the QS max out a 2x1.8GHz but those are rare and often expensive.

A search for "G4 sonnet" might bring some useable results.

MacPig
Sep 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
MDD/FW800 use a different type of CPU-modules than QS and older so no luck in useing a MDD-module.

CPUs for the QS max out a 2x1.8GHz but those are rare and often expensive.

A search for "G4 sonnet" might bring some useable results.

I've found a 1.5Ghz chip for the equivalent of 75 including postage, I'm certainly considering it now :) Thanks!

adcx64
Sep 16, 2012, 03:46 PM
For the price of the Sonnet upgrade, I'm sure you could find a capable dual processor MDD for the same price or less. I only paid 60 for mine!

Just my 2 cents.

MacPig
Sep 17, 2012, 12:26 PM
For the price of the Sonnet upgrade, I'm sure you could find a capable dual processor MDD for the same price or less. I only paid 60 for mine!

Just my 2 cents.

Hmm maybe I'll hold out and see what I can pick up :D

Zotaccian
Sep 17, 2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah for that price or adding slightly more you probably could get a low end Dual G5 which would be faster. Prices for old PPC Macs range greatly and most of the times Dualies will be priced higher, but every now and then someone wants to get rid of his and prices it around 100 euros etc.