PDA

View Full Version : IMO, the Nokia Lumia 920 is the first truly worthy adversary to the iPhone! (Pics)

Pages : [1] 2

iPad 2
Sep 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
I feel the Nokia Lumia 920 is the first truly worthy adversary to the iPhone 5 in terms of both aesthetics and performance.

At the very least, it's the first smartphone I've seen that actually looks better than the iPhone and still manages to have the specs, features, performance and UI/OS to keep up.

http://kienthuc.net.vn/dataimages/201209/original/images976801_700_nokia_lumia_920_color_range.jpg

http://uncrate.com/p/2012/09/nokia-lumia-920-xl.jpg

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/nokia-lumia-920_21.jpg

The main differences are that the iPhone has more/better apps and less bulk (and a slightly better GPU), and the Lumia has a fresher OS and some neat features like a 720p+ screen (better resolution and PPI), better battery life, wireless charging, very advanced optics for their camera and NFC.

illutionz
Sep 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
LOVE Windows Phone UI and everything about it but the apps selection is extremely limited.

iPad 2
Sep 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
I agree. Apps are the achelle's heel. But with MS backing it and cross compatiblity with Windows 8 apps, this should resolve itself in an year or two. Right around then when Windows 8 begins to catch up in terms of apps, the first Nokia with a quad core a15 CPU and quad core PowerVR 6 series GPU should be out and ready to go head to head vs an iPhone 5s with similar internals. Should be a fun matchup.

I have to say that the new Windows icon in the center bottom looks butt ugly to me. Why couldn't they make the icon symmetrical. The center icon of a phone this beautiful should be symmetrical.

frostbit3
I feel the Nokia Lumia 920 is the first truly worthy adversary to the iPhone 5 in terms of both aesthetics and performance.

At the very least, it's the first smartphone I've seen that actually looks better than the iPhone and still manages to have the specs and UI/OS to keep up.

Image (http://kienthuc.net.vn/dataimages/201209/original/images976801_700_nokia_lumia_920_color_range.jpg)

Image (http://uncrate.com/p/2012/09/nokia-lumia-920-xl.jpg)

Image (http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/nokia-lumia-920_21.jpg)

I completely agree, I really like the Lumia 920 a LOT. The downside for me though is that I've been with Apple since iPhone 1.0, so I have a lot of money into Apps that otherwise don't exist on Windows Phone (For the most part, that is.)

zachnelson
I use iPhone because iOS integrates well with OS X and my other Apple electronics and peripherals. Thus, any phone not running iOS, I wouldn't even consider. Just because it looks cool, or has good specs does not change the fact that it runs Windows.

damov2
Sep 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
Apart from being nearly 70g heavier!

illutionz
Sep 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
I agree. Apps are the achelle's heel.

And to be honest, is there really a place for a 3rd OS in mobile space? WebOS has failed, and Blackberry is on a major decline.

Will WP be able to break through the market? Remains to be seen.

jav6454
Sep 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
I agree with this assessment as well. The Galaxy line is not worth of noting, it is just overly pumped specs that will never make the OS run stable and smooth enough for a pleasant experience. Pretty much a over spec'd phone which doesn't really do much.

The Lumia runs Windows Mobile (Windows Phone, etc), which is great. I would go with WinMo over Android. This is regardless of the whole Apple v Samsung.

frostbit3
Sep 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
I agree with this assessment as well. The Galaxy line is not worth of noting, it is just overly pumped specs that will never make the OS run stable and smooth enough for a pleasant experience. Pretty much a over spec'd phone which doesn't really do much.

The Lumia runs Windows Mobile (Windows Phone, etc), which is great. I would go with WinMo over Android. This is regardless of the whole Apple v Samsung.

Agreed! I've used Android and I just can't see using it on a day to day basis. It still feels like a Beta OS to me. Windows Phone however looks like I would have no problem using it and it's very smooth. I haven't used it for more than 5-10 minutes granted, but my first impressions of it were really good, which Android wasn't.

Fernandez21
Sep 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
I really like the design, but once again the flagship devices from these other manufacturers are huge, and also its running windows phone which is even more boring than iOS so I won't consider them. I will play around with one though first chance I get. The camera system also looks killer.

If this was a 4-4.3" screen running stock android JB I would definitely pick one up.

F123D
Sep 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
I would have no problem if the iPhone had looked something like this.

iPad 2
Sep 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
I would have no problem if the iPhone had looked something like this.

I would have preferred it, even if it meant slightly more bulk (and hopefully a bigger battery than the iPhone 5).

This is a stunningly good design.

x&y
Sep 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
That is one ugly phone.

brendu
Sep 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
If it weren't for the fact that I love iOS, and have an iPad and a MacBook, I would probably have waited and gotten the 920. But I am too invested in the Apple ecosystem and I have never been let down by my Apple devices or customer service. iMessages, Photo Stream, iCloud, iTunes auto-synching between devices.. these are just some of the reasons I stick with Apple.

But, if there was one non iPhone I would consider, it would be the 920 in black or cyan (If they end up making a cyan model).

jesusplay
Sep 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
That is one ugly phone.

that's what I'm saying. The iPhone looks...nothing compares.

It has all the features I need. There isn't much to add to a phone now anyway.

the iphone could have had a bigger screen though(not just longer) and still fit in one hand and use.

My roommate has the nokie lumia and I was able to do everything with one hand....

I prefer the iPhone(apples) architecture both software and hardware which is why my 64GB iPhone 5 will be here this week:D

jafingi
Sep 16, 2012, 12:56 PM
Nokia has really nailed it with the 920. WinPhone 8 is a neat OS. Waay better than Android, because Microsoft sets requirements to the phones = no fragmentation like Android.

If it had a more mature marketplace, and I wasn't so used to the iOS eco system, I could easily have seen myself with one of these.

Great to see someone really trying to catch up and compete with the iPhone. Android doesn't bother me. It's a whole other market. iPhone and the Lumia is really trying to make a great phone for THE MASSES. The ones that don't have to bug around with their new phone to get it work properly. It's all about the UX and I think both Apple and Nokia/Microsoft nailed it in each their own way.

rrl
Sep 16, 2012, 12:59 PM

You don't know what you're talking about.

hockey17
Sep 16, 2012, 01:02 PM
i just love the windows UI.

I think it looks amazing, especially since you can choose the color schemes and all of that. If I wasn't so invested in apple (apps) I probably would have made the switch. Also the lack of apps in the windows market is the huge problem.
If it survives till my next contract it might be an option...

xofruitcake
Sep 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
It is an awefully bad sign for lumia 920 that there is still no release day or pricing announced. Normally when a manufacturer announce a phone, they want to get all the information out there. They only have one shot to create excitement for their product and Nokia miss it. Normally carriers like ATT and Verizon will have an advance look on the phone and they will decide how many phone they can sell with what subsidy and have a tough negotiation with the phone manufacturer on the price and volume that the carrier will buy from the manufacturer. If you are Apple, the final price is very close to MSRP and/or the volume is more than the carrier is comfortable (so carrier will run the risk of having to provide more subsidy down the road to clear the inventory if the phone doesn't sell as well as they predicted). If you are everyone else, your price is very close to your cost and carrier will dictate volume.

With no price and no release date, it can only mean on thing. None of the carrier can come to term with Nokia. They either don't like the price or the volume that Nokia want them to sell the phone at.. I would guess the problem has a lot to do with Lumia 900. It sales are very poor (something like 600,000 phone shipped to carrier last Q but no one know how many of the 600,000 is still in inventory). No one is really sure if it is a Window ecosystem problem or a Lumia 900 problem.. If it is a Window problem, Lumia 920 will have a very poor sales as well..

jav6454
Sep 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
You don't know what you're talking about.

So me having used both devices (S3 and Lumia) separately and having used my iPhone doesn't entitle me to that opinion and makes me ignorant of it? Please tell me how valuable your opinion is over mine and how you know what you are talking about...

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/blogs/orrymain/attachments/1891d1344872169-director-mel-stuarts-death-brings-memories-willy-wonka-pure-imagination-willy_wonka.jpg

b166er
Sep 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
I think it highly probably the price point will either match, or be less than the iPhone. This is Nokia's "last stand" so to speak as far as windows mobile is concerned. It will be released late next month or early November.

I agree with most of you, the phone looks great and it is worthy to compete with the iPhone. Android is not doing it for me, and yes I've used it. iOS is great but I'd like to check out the 920 when it's released.

Nokia has arguably the best build quality historically speaking. The camera looks like it would blow away the iPhone camera. I think this could be a great phone/product line if Nokia/windows/ATT market it properly. Plus I'm sure it will play very nice with that Surface tablet that is coming out soon and obviously many of us still use Windows often, whether it is by choice or for work. I have macs at home but I use windows daily at work.

I hope it launches soon and is available unlocked. I can't wait to check it out.

jshin100
Sep 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
I love that it has NFC and the wireless charging thing is cool. Hmm. After the 5, maybe I'll give a WinMo device a try

Feed Me
Sep 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
It's way too big

damov2
Sep 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
So me having used both devices (S3 and Lumia) separately and having used my iPhone doesn't entitle me to that opinion and makes me ignorant of it? Please tell me how valuable your opinion is over mine and how you know what you are talking about...

Image (http://www.dtvusaforum.com/blogs/orrymain/attachments/1891d1344872169-director-mel-stuarts-death-brings-memories-willy-wonka-pure-imagination-willy_wonka.jpg)

How dare you have opinion on the Galaxy Line of smart phones you know its wrong!;)

Bahroo
Sep 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
if im reading the specs correctly for the Lumia 920, it weighs 185 grams, and is 10.7 mm thick... that is just absolutely terrible if i am reading the specs right

leenak
Sep 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
I think the Lumia looks great but it is way too big for me.

sixteen12
Sep 16, 2012, 01:34 PM
It is an awefully bad sign for lumia 920 that there is still no release day or pricing announced. Normally when a manufacturer announce a phone, they want to get all the information out there. They only have one shot to create excitement for their product and Nokia miss it.

This is for sure what will kill this phone. Lots of hype after the event for a really impressive phone. But people will forget about it because now the iPhone 5 launched and the Note 2 is coming out shortly. Hell, Google could very potentially release the new Nexus before this comes out.

If Nokia had that event and launched the phone a week later, it would have sold extremely well. I'm sure a few people would have given it a shot over the iPhone or android.

tigress666
Sep 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
With no price and no release date, it can only mean on thing. None of the carrier can come to term with Nokia. They either don't like the price or the volume that Nokia want them to sell the phone at.. I would guess the problem has a lot to do with Lumia 900. It sales are very poor (something like 600,000 phone shipped to carrier last Q but no one know how many of the 600,000 is still in inventory). No one is really sure if it is a Window ecosystem problem or a Lumia 900 problem.. If it is a Window problem, Lumia 920 will have a very poor sales as well..

Honestly, I think it's windows and app availability. It seems Nokia has been doing a good job of coming up with some nice phones (least from what I've seen) but I know for me I'd be more considering of them if they ran Android than Windows. Or at least it seems a shame they run windows, mainly cause the app availability is crap. I don't care about 2 years in the future as by then my upgrade would be up and I'd want a new phone anyways. Additionally, it probably wouldn't run the apps by then cause it would be considered pretty old.

Honestly, the only reason Microsoft might survive is they have the money to wait it out (cause without that they don't really have the time to wait a few years to get the apps cause already it seems the writing is on the wall so that will chase developers away from that). Right now, to most people who are even paying attention that there is a windows phone, it looks like the OS is dieing and that isn't a good thing. It's why way back when I chose the PlayStation over the Sega's machine. It was because I could already see the writing on the wall: The Playstation was obviously attracting more of the game makers and without games a console is crap, and that is what I feel about computers/smartphones. And it seems that is about the level MS is on right now. Still getting some apps, still surviving, but if you are paying attention you can see who "won" so to speak, and it isn't MS. The only difference is MS has money to keep throwing at the problem unlike Sega.

It kinda makes me sad because before I was an iPhone fan and wanted a smartphone I liked Nokia phones cause in general they made pretty solid build phones (They did go through a time they had horrible user interface on the phones, like weird dailing keypad format).

pgiguere1
Sep 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
I appreciate the use of an IPS screen instead of the usual PenTile AMOLED Samsung uses. The camera seems pretty good too.

But. Why so big of a phone if it's not that powerful?

This thing is 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm and 185 g and all it has is a dual-core SnapDragon S4 and 1GB RAM?

It's weird that the GS3 released long before it has better specs and is thinner.

This is also going to feel like a brick next to the iPhone 5, weird that it'll be slower too. Let's see how smooth Windows Phone 8 is first but I doubt it'll match iOS in terms of smoothness at equivalent specs.

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/25/25987/nokia-lumia-920-conn.jpg

I guess that's the kind of compromise you have to make to get inductive charging? I'm glad Apple didn't make it with the iPhone 5.

Overall it looks like a good phone but there's nothing groundbreaking in there, unless inductive charging is a must for you or think Windows Phone is superior. I hope this makes Android OEMs consider using IPS screens too.

ViperDesign
Sep 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hopefully it comes to verizon, I want to try it out. I really like what they are bringing to the table

cwwilson
Sep 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
I don't know man, the 920 might be nice and all, but having owned the 900 it didn't leave me heartbroken when I switched to the SGS3. Great as the build of the phone was, call quality, earpiece clarity, and wonderful Skydrive sync, it let me down big time with the weak specs, less than sub par screen resolution and horrible 3rd party app support. The only apps I even liked were the WPCentral app and Weave (which was actually abandonware). The facebook app was below average at best, the twitter app was a mess and Youtube was a joke (nothing but m.youtube in an app wrapper). Speaking of Youtube, it lagged really bad and put out choppy low quality video even on LTE due to the hardware not being handle video very well. To test, I even made some small videos using the camera and even those lagged a bit.

Now I know the 920 is supposed to be a whole new deal but I just don't think there's enough interest in WP to make it successful. In today's world, there's iOS and Android and that's where the developers are. I know Nokia has snatched up some big names but those apps will be exclusive to those phones, that's not really helping WP as a whole.

wongulous
Sep 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
Really thought about the Lumia 920 (or 922 on Verizon)...

But in the end, the stuff that wowed me was gimmicky - colors, a new novel OS, the wireless charging (and really, Apple were right - it doesn't solve anything), NFC (same), the new headphone stuff. The camera is pretty cool but in the end it wasn't as great as the fake video Nokia first put out.

If it'd been thinner, a bit smaller and lighter, and been available for me to order on the 12th, I really might have ordered it instead. Too bad they are so slow to get a product out.

I'm sure I'll be very, very happy with my iPhone 5. :D Hope they don't go out of business though... Nokia and MSFT are really on the right track here!

Alx9876
Sep 16, 2012, 02:36 PM
This is the only alternative to the iPhone I would truly consider and currently am. I am not going to buy an iPhone 5 until I get some hands on time with the Nokia L920.

I am proud of Windows for the first time not going the Droid route as it is the inferior OS.

This new Windows 8 cell phone OS is looking very promising and refreshing. Makes sense since a former Apple engineer designed it.

daneoni
Sep 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
It has nice features and looks nice, But there's just one problem. I already know where to buy an iPhone 5 and for how much.

I don't have that same information about the Lumia. If i'm in the market for a phone now i can't buy this...i have to wait till November. Its also bigger, heavier and has a less robust ecosystem.

Why wouldn't i just buy a GS3 or iP5 now and be done with it.

Simoquasimo
Sep 16, 2012, 02:50 PM
This is the only alternative to the iPhone I would truly consider and currently am. I am not going to buy an iPhone 5 until I get some hands on time with the Nokia L920.

I am proud of Windows for the first time not going the Droid route as it is the inferior OS.

This new Windows 8 cell phone OS is looking very promising and refreshing. Makes sense since a former Apple engineer designed it.

Same thing here. I have to try Lumia 920 before I go or don't go to iPhone 5. Hopefully it's pretty soon available here in Finland. I never thought this day would come so soon that I'm might be going back to Nokia.

kalex
Sep 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
Really thought about the Lumia 920 (or 922 on Verizon)...

But in the end, the stuff that wowed me was gimmicky - colors, a new novel OS, the wireless charging (and really, Apple were right - it doesn't solve anything), NFC (same), the new headphone stuff. The camera is pretty cool but in the end it wasn't as great as the fake video Nokia first put out.

I guess if apple said it doesn't solve anything then it must be useless. After using Pre and Pixi for 6 months I find the wireless charging very very useful. Don't have to fumble with stupid usb cables, dock connectors etc. But then again Apple didn't invent it and patent it so it must be useless. I bet you with iphone 5s or iphone 6 Apple will be calling it with some new acronym and it will be the greatest thing to date.
Same goes for NFC. used it for few months with Nexus S phone and found it extremely useful as well. Can't wait to get 920 with NFC.

Alx9876
Sep 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
There's just one problem. I already know where to buy an iPhone 5 and for how much.

I don't have that same information about the Lumia. If i'm in the market for a phone now i can't buy this...i have to wait till November. Its also bigger, heavier and has a less robust ecosystem.

Why wouldn't i just buy a GS3 or iP5 now and be done with it.

Because I am in no rush to buy anything even though I still have a regular iPhone 4 on hand.

I'm not in a active contract since my 2 year commitment already expired 4 months ago.

To make a good informed decision I need to have hands on time with all of them. I know what the iPhone is about and I know what the GS3 is about but I don't know anything about the Nokia L920.

I have no doubt what will be better in the long run. But I am in no rush to buy anything. I rather hold in my hands the competition before buying it. Including the iPhone 5.

The ecosystem of Apple is not holding me back one bit. I really wish the iPhone 5 were wider not just longer but this goes back to "I need to hold it in my hand" before buying.

It might not matter really (The 4 inch screen size) but I won't know until I see/hold a physical device at the Apple store.

Che Castro
Sep 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
That thing looks ugly to me

N23
Sep 16, 2012, 03:24 PM

Same here, I have an upgrade I can use next month and I'm hoping the 920 releases shortly after.
I've had the last three iPhones so I know the iP5 is most likely suite me just fine, but the 920 looks promising.

I don't mind that it's running windows, I have an iPad and MBP but still do most of my work on a PC.
iOS has honestly been underwhelming for me and I wouldn't mind some change.
My only concern with the 920 would be the size, I'd have to see how it functions in my hands.

jav6454
Sep 16, 2012, 03:35 PM
How dare you have opinion on the Galaxy Line of smart phones you know its wrong!;)

I must say, I laughed, hard. Good job! You made my day :D

MattZani
Sep 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
The Lumia is the phone I would have if I didn't have an iPhone.

Technarchy
Sep 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
I agree. The 920 looks great and runs wonderfully. The user experience is very good.

Flaws:

-It's a brick

-Nokia should have used matte materials instead of high gloss. Not a fan of the high gloss plastic

-The app situation is horrid, which blows my mind because we are talking Windows and Microsoft.

-Lumia phones are just too big. Why they don't make them slimmer especially is anyone's guess.

TSX
Sep 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
Is this the same phone that got busted trying to show off the video recording capabilities, when it was an actual professional camera that was doing it.

Edit: yes it is

http://memeburn.com/2012/09/busted-nokia-caught-cheating-on-lumia-920-promo-video/

vistadude
Sep 16, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'd buy it over a new iphone if it weren't so big. They need the form factor of the Lumia 800 with the specs of the 920.

The lumia 820 size might be okay, but it will be underspecced in some way.

Grolubao
Sep 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
Don't understand the obsession with thinness. This is not a model show...

At least the Lumia got it right with the number of holes in the bottom of the phone ;)

Rogifan
Sep 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
I appreciate the use of an IPS screen instead of the usual PenTile AMOLED Samsung uses. The camera seems pretty good too.

But. Why so big of a phone if it's not that powerful?

This thing is 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm and 185 g and all it has is a dual-core SnapDragon S4 and 1GB RAM?

It's weird that the GS3 released long before it has better specs and is thinner.

This is also going to feel like a brick next to the iPhone 5, weird that it'll be slower too. Let's see how smooth Windows Phone 8 is first but I doubt it'll match iOS in terms of smoothness at equivalent specs.

Image (http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/25/25987/nokia-lumia-920-conn.jpg)

I guess that's the kind of compromise you have to make to get inductive charging? I'm glad Apple didn't make it with the iPhone 5.

Overall it looks like a good phone but there's nothing groundbreaking in there, unless inductive charging is a must for you or think Windows Phone is superior. I hope this makes Android OEMs consider using IPS screens too.
I think the design is good looking (though I find it amusing that no one seems to be complaining that the 800, 900 and 920 all have a very similar look and feel' especially when that seems to be a complaint about iPhone 5), but don't like that it's so thick. It's a brick. :eek:

hawk1410
Sep 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
It is a nice and goodlooking phone, but the app eco system is weak, hoping it will get better after Win 8 is re;eased and metro becomes more widespread.

Heavenly
Sep 16, 2012, 07:01 PM
And to be honest, is there really a place for a 3rd OS in mobile space? WebOS has failed, and Blackberry is on a major decline.

Will WP be able to break through the market? Remains to be seen.
W8 Phone certainly has the most potential for growth over the next 2-5 years(they will still be 3rd but market share can be be ~10%). However, the risk is so high and if Microsoft doesn't get out of their 2-3% market share with W8P, it's pretty much the end for Nokia.

ixodes
Sep 16, 2012, 07:03 PM
It's far too soon to judge.

vistadude
Sep 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
If it's $199 for the Lumia 920 on a 2 year contract (let's say the 820 is not an option or not available on your carrier of choice), would you go for it?

samsandy
Sep 16, 2012, 11:06 PM
Such a good looking phone with innovative features I can't choose between this and the new iPhone. I'm keen to get rid of my S2 its so gay.

thekev
Sep 16, 2012, 11:19 PM
LOVE Windows Phone UI and everything about it but the apps selection is extremely limited.

That is likely to change quickly considering Microsoft is backing it.

The common complaint seems to be carrier bloatware. Is stock Android really that heavy?

Vegastouch
Sep 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
Don't understand the obsession with thinness. This is not a model show...

At least the Lumia got it right with the number of holes in the bottom of the phone ;)

Yeah i dont either. Its not like it is really thick. It is still thinner than the first gen iPhone (11.6mm to 10.8mm) and i dont think that is too thick. Hec the 3GS (http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3gs-2826.php) is 12.3mm thick and the 4S (http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4s-4212.php) is 9.3 so its not like these are huge differences.You all got along fine with it and snapped them up like like there was no tomorrow with no complaints. In fact, praised the hec out of them.

It is about the same length as the GNex and .2 mm wider than the GS3...which is about the same considering we are talking mm.
The biggest thing for me is that it is heavy. 185g is a lot so though id love the 4.5" screen, ill check out the 820 specs. 185g is just a heavy phone. Hec i thought the iPhone weighed a lot at 136g :eek:

swpars
Sep 16, 2012, 11:29 PM
If this phone ran iOS, or even Ice Cream Sandwich Android, I'd be awaiting my chance to preorder.

But Win Mobile 8? I don't know if there will be much of a future for the platform.

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
It's way too big
That's what she said. ;-)

mrjayviper
Sep 16, 2012, 11:42 PM

you need to work out if you think 70grams is that heavy :rolleyes:

damov2
Sep 17, 2012, 01:47 AM
you need to work out if you think 70grams is that heavy :rolleyes:

Actually I don't need to work it out because its a simple equation, 70grams is a lot in the smartphone world whether you think so or not!:rolleyes:

Grolubao
Sep 17, 2012, 03:02 AM
Actually I don't need to work it out because its a simple equation, 70grams is a lot in the smartphone world whether you think so or not!:rolleyes:

I agree. I think my iPhone 4 is way too heavy. I prefer lightweight phones in this case. I'll check the 900

NbinHD
Sep 17, 2012, 03:42 AM

All we can do is hope that Microsoft/Nokia market Windows Phone 8 right and brings in more customers, which in return will bring in some app developers. As long as the OS has some basic apps such as Chrome and a nice YouTube app, i'm all good. :)

nba1341
Sep 17, 2012, 04:58 AM

God forbid your hand could not support that 70 additional grams :O

flameproof
Sep 17, 2012, 05:07 AM
I agree. The 920 looks great and runs wonderfully. The user experience is very good.

How you know? It ain't out yet.

Flaws:

-Nokia should have used matte materials instead of high gloss. Not a fan of the high gloss plastic

OK, agree that one.

-The app situation is horrid, which blows my mind because we are talking Windows and Microsoft.

If WP7 apps are compatible, and I think they are, you have >100,000 to start with. It's more then you need. So the apps situation is perfect.

-Lumia phones are just too big.

You talk about 900/920. I have not really tried the 900. The 800 is about the same size as the iPhone 4 though.

Prototypical
Sep 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
God forbid your hand could not support that 70 additional grams :O

But, but... how am I going to compete with the GS3 guys? :( My specs won't be as good and I'll be cast out of the tech-nerd club!

As for the app "situation," I'm glad everyone will be willing to accept the MS app store as legit once they have 77 fart apps available. The current count of six means you just don't have an acceptable amount of fart apps to choose from... And likely, they all stink.

<rimshot>

Nabooly
Sep 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
How easy is it to sync windows phones with macs? I love how I can just plug in my iphone and everything just syncs automatically in itunes.

Chris.L
Sep 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Gotta admit, I do like that and should I get bored with the iPhone or it stops being made, the Nokia is at the top of the list.

70g is nothing and size wise, it's only a few mm bigger than the iPhone 5 I will be getting.

Plus, the enterprise features are actually better. A Microsoft Office Suite, not to mention more ActiveSync features are big wins in my book.

NFC, now that I have read a bit more about it, could be quite cool. Would I use it, maybe.

Wireless charging, I don't care who is doing it, it's just pointless in my book. I use my phone while it's on charge.

How easy is it to sync windows phones with macs? I love how I can just plug in my iphone and everything just syncs automatically in itunes.

Apparently their is a Mac computer companion application that I am assuming will facilitate sync operations allowing you to select the programs and data you want to sync. I do most stuff utilising cloud services though (DropBox, Spotify etc)

Bkasm
Sep 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
Passing on the iPhone 5 for this. Don't mind the size at all, this thing is sexy. Most will put a case on a slimmer phone anyway, making it just as "bulky." Which in reality, isn't bulky at all.

Made from polycarbonate, it will be able to absorb some blows. Love the interface too, so refreshing. I am terribly bored with the iPhone, the past several models have been too similar for me, it's time for a change.

Also, I read somewhere that the gray and black colors will be matte. Probably just wishful thinking. I don't mind the gloss finishes at all though. So either way, I'm happy.

0m3ga
Sep 18, 2012, 03:44 PM
Don't like the neon yellow color of the phone and tiles, but at least it doesn't look like a stretched turd, like the iphone 5. That iPhone 5 has got to be the dumbest looking phone ever made and with an ancient and weak OS too! As people get tired of Apple's poor excuse for a phone, I wouldn't mind seeing Nokia and other Windows Phones take over 2nd place. At least you get a phone that can provide informative icons/tiles, instead of a few rows of dead icons. And real multi-tasking. Unbelievable that Apple builds a phone that can't do something so simple as multitask.

What I really hope is Windows phone and Android phones will push technology forward with things like NFC and inductive charging. Lord knows, Apple will never do it. So come on Microsoft and Nokia... get these phones to market. Hell, I'd buy one over that outdated and ugly looking iphone. But Apple will still sell a ton, unfortunately.

Rogifan
Sep 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
I find it amusing how many complain about the iPhone 4, 4S and 5 looking too similar design wise yet rave about the Lumia, when the N90, Lumia 800, 900 and 920 all look the same (except for larger display).

Nabooly
Sep 18, 2012, 07:41 PM
Gotta admit, I do like that and should I get bored with the iPhone or it stops being made, the Nokia is at the top of the list.

70g is nothing and size wise, it's only a few mm bigger than the iPhone 5 I will be getting.

Plus, the enterprise features are actually better. A Microsoft Office Suite, not to mention more ActiveSync features are big wins in my book.

NFC, now that I have read a bit more about it, could be quite cool. Would I use it, maybe.

Wireless charging, I don't care who is doing it, it's just pointless in my book. I use my phone while it's on charge.

Apparently their is a Mac computer companion application that I am assuming will facilitate sync operations allowing you to select the programs and data you want to sync. I do most stuff utilising cloud services though (DropBox, Spotify etc)

Hmm I saw a video on YouTube that shows a Microsoft app for osx and it syncs with iPhoto an iTunes.

Bkasm
Sep 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
I find it amusing how many complain about the iPhone 4, 4S and 5 looking too similar design wise yet rave about the Lumia, when the N90, Lumia 800, 900 and 920 all look the same (except for larger display).

I think when people mention the similarity, they are long time iPhone users that have experienced the radical redesigns with each new generation of iPhone, more or less. We didn't experience that with the iPhone 5.

Jumping ship to a different phone altogether, even if their past iterations look similar as well, would be something fresh and new regardless. Not to mention the iOS user interface is as stale as it gets.

Prototypical
Sep 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
Also, I read somewhere that the gray and black colors will be matte. Probably just wishful thinking. I don't mind the gloss finishes at all though. So either way, I'm happy.

Looking at all of the promo shots, the black and gray DO look to be matte. Might just be odd lighting but if that's true, I'm stoked. If Verizon brings the 920 (or 922) to its customers, I'm all over a gray model.

markie
Sep 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
Such a good looking phone with innovative features I can't choose between this and the new iPhone. I'm keen to get rid of my S2 its so gay.

Bizarre. You think Samsung is too gay (a Korean company - a country where until recently coming out was totally unheard of)... so you replace it with Apple (a very pro gay rights company) or Nokia (Finnish where being gay is much more socially acceptable than in Korea). What on earth is with THAT logic?

On the flip side, gay rights are one of the huge selling points Apple has in my world. Though Google is also excellent in that regard.

snow blind
Sep 19, 2012, 10:27 AM
Looking at all of the promo shots, the black and gray DO look to be matte. Might just be odd lighting but if that's true, I'm stoked. If Verizon brings the 920 (or 922) to its customers, I'm all over a gray model. The grey and black are indeed matte... the only two colors with that finish. They look stunning.

tigress666
Sep 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
Bizarre. You think Samsung is too gay (a Korean company - a country where until recently coming out was totally unheard of)... so you replace it with Apple (a very pro gay rights company) or Nokia (Finnish where being gay is much more socially acceptable than in Korea). What on earth is with THAT logic?

On the flip side, gay rights are one of the huge selling points Apple has in my world. Though Google is also excellent in that regard.

It's getting better. IT's getting to be companies are feeling more pressured to be pro gay than anti gay (witness the oreo ad in support of gay pride day. They wouldn't have done that if they didn't think that majority support would be with them). Hell, Chick Fil A just announced they will no longer be supporting anti gay "charities"... even they are feeling pressured and they are run by some highly religious who prides himself on running his company according to his morals. And they caved... who knows how much really but they at least paid lip service to the fact that apparently they got hurt by being anti-gay.

markie
Sep 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
It's getting better. IT's getting to be companies are feeling more pressured to be pro gay than anti gay (witness the oreo ad in support of gay pride day. They wouldn't have done that if they didn't think that majority support would be with them). Hell, Chick Fil A just announced they will no longer be supporting anti gay "charities"... even they are feeling pressured and they are run by some highly religious who prides himself on running his company according to his morals. And they caved... who knows how much really but they at least paid lip service to the fact that apparently they got hurt by being anti-gay.

Wow I didn't hear the Chick-Fil-A news! I used to love Chick-Fil-A and ate it whenever traveling (none here) but between leaving my church for personal reasons and finding out how anti-gay they are I resigned myself to never having their sandwiches again. And I probably still won't... but I'm still proud of them for a step n the right direction!

And, to avoid hijacking this thread I definitely think the Lumia 920 is beautiful. Weight isn't a huge deal to me cuz I usually carry my phone in a bag. But it definitely isn't pocketable...

0m3ga
Sep 19, 2012, 12:33 PM

I believe every Fortune 500 company, as well as most businesses in the US and Europe have a policy of no harrassment based on color, creed, religion or sexuality. Even the US Military is now blind to sexual preference. Apple may have been the first Fortune 100 company to have an openly gay CEO though? And on the opposite end of the spectrum you have monkey-boy Steve Ballmer running Microsoft. Only he can be dumb enough to run Nokia in to the ground.

snow blind
Sep 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
sooooo about that Lumia 920...

Anyone else now favoring the just unveiled HTC 8X over the 920?

Sedrick
Sep 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
That's because these new W8 phones don't look like they've been designed and put together in a high school shop class. (I'm not talking quality here)

Bkasm
Sep 19, 2012, 02:24 PM

It is a nice looking phone, but I was a little taken back by how similar it looks to the Lumia 920. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. For me personally, I'll pass on it. Still going to get the Lumia.

I think a lot of people who were on the edge about the Lumia will instead get the HTC because it is slimmer. I feel like 16g without expansion was a big mistake though.

Prototypical
Sep 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
It is a nice looking phone, but I was a little taken back by how similar it looks to the Lumia 920. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. For me personally, I'll pass on it. Still going to get the Lumia.

I think a lot of people who were on the edge about the Lumia will instead get the HTC because it is slimmer. I feel like 16g without expansion was a big mistake though.

HTC / MS may be banking on SkyDrive to help mitigate the small storage space. I suspect WP8 is also noticeably smaller (size-wise) than other mobile OS as well, so maybe that helps too.

ChrisTX
Sep 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
I've always said that if there was one thing Apple needed to do differently to stay ahead of the curve it's make a yellow iPhone. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

Bkasm
Sep 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
I've always said that if there was one thing Apple needed to do differently to stay ahead of the curve it's make a yellow iPhone. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

Because having more color options is a bad thing? It's not like yellow is the only available color bud.

apierrec
Sep 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
I use iPhone because iOS integrates well with OS X and my other Apple electronics and peripherals. Thus, any phone not running iOS, I wouldn't even consider. Just because it looks cool, or has good specs does not change the fact that it runs Windows.

This.

Though I might give them a chance again and have it as my 2nd mobile phone that is, if am rich as I find their mobile OS very different vs. iOS.

Rogifan
Sep 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
That's because these new W8 phones don't look like they've been designed and put together in a high school shop class. (I'm not talking quality here)

No they look like they were designed in kindergarten class. :D j/k

I like the design of both phones but they're too big and bulky for my tastes. Will be interesting to see how they do. I'd be nice to see Samsung get some competition. ;)

Faux Carnival
Sep 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
The new HTC's are a disaster.

samsandy
Sep 21, 2012, 05:49 PM

Haha good comment. I don't find the S2 as gay as such. Its a very unreliable and unstable phone in my opinion. My phone spent over a month being repaired then eventually replaced, still does strange things like randomly restarting itself freezing and sudden drop in battery.

markie
Sep 21, 2012, 06:29 PM
Haha good comment. I don't find the S2 as gay as such. Its a very unreliable and unstable phone in my opinion. My phone spent over a month being repaired then eventually replaced, still does strange things like randomly restarting itself freezing and sudden drop in battery.

XDA-Developers is your friend :) AOSP based Jelly Bean ROM's should take care of your issues pretty well.

flameproof
Sep 21, 2012, 10:48 PM

The very strong selling point for me would be full car navigation and off line maps (for 110 countries). As far as I know only Nokia has off line maps.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 23, 2012, 01:37 PM

I took my iPhone 5 back in order to try the Lumia 920 and maybe the S3 (again). Or maybe the next Nexus. Hell I don't know but I just want the options because the iPhone 5 didn't do it for me.

----------

They look like a copy to be honest. Also they don't have any stand out features like wireless charging etc

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
I took my iPhone 5 back in order to try the Lumia 920 and maybe the S3 (again). Or maybe the next Nexus. Hell I don't know but I just want the options because the iPhone 5 didn't do it for me.

----------

They look like a copy to be honest. Also they don't have any stand out features like wireless charging etc

I dont think they are a copy. Looks like they are just using the colors of the windows logo on their phones. Other than colors, they dont look like the Nokia's imo.

Also, i for one dont care about wireless charging. It isnt anything i need or consider a great feature. Apple had that going on a couple or few years ago in which you had to buy the pads to set the devices on and you dont hear anything about it now.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 23, 2012, 02:38 PM
I respect your opinion but the unibody polycarbonate design as well as the bright colors that HTC hasn't done before (as far as I know) make these look very very similar to the lumia. I will try them both I guess before making my decision between android, windows phone and iOS. iOS is in last place right now as I just returned my iPhone 5.

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
I respect your opinion but the unibody polycarbonate design as well as the bright colors that HTC hasn't done before (as far as I know) make these look very very similar to the lumia. I will try them both I guess before making my decision between android, windows phone and iOS. iOS is in last place right now as I just returned my iPhone 5.

It may be what Windows wanted. Either way i like the color choices but HTC still dont have a MicroSD slot in the 8X so that is out for me.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
Does the Lumia have a SD slot? I didn't think so but I could be wrong.

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
Does the Lumia have a SD slot? I didn't think so but I could be wrong.

I believe they do

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
I believe they do

I'm sorry to dissapoint you.

http://m.cnet.com/news/why-nokia-nixed-an-sd-card-slot-for-the-lumia-920/57507300?ds=1

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
I think the 820 does which so far is said coming to T Mobile. If not, im not getting a Windows phone unless i get the Samsung. Im more interested in the new Nexus anyways

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 04:47 PM
After reading the link, the 920 comes with 32gb. I was figuring it came with 16. 32 is the minimum id buy without a micro sd slot. So it is still in the running if it comes to T Mobile. Still more interested in the new Nexus coming out

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 23, 2012, 06:02 PM
The Nokia Lumia 920 is 10.7mm thick which is way too thick. Nokia calls this their flagship, high-end smartphone. Yet it's over 1 mm thicker than the iPhone 4/4S which is 2 year old design. Not to mention the glossy coating (yuck) and colors (yellow, red). While I like the WP8 UI and I really like Nokia's engineering, they need to slim down a little. Also, their camera tech is about the only thing that's significantly improved versus their older Lumia devices. Yes, the CPU/GPU is better but that's not really that exciting. I'm going to pass on this, the horrid color choices and glossy coating are the big turn-offs.

dukebound85
Sep 23, 2012, 06:05 PM
i think this phone looks and feels like crap

Much prefer the S3 when I saw them in stores

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
The Nokia Lumia 920 is 10.7mm thick which is way too thick. Nokia calls this their flagship, high-end smartphone. Yet it's over 1 mm thicker than the iPhone 4/4S which is 2 year old design. Not to mention the glossy coating (yuck) and colors (yellow, red). While I like the WP8 UI and I really like Nokia's engineering, they need to slim down a little. Also, their camera tech is about the only thing that's significantly improved versus their older Lumia devices. Yes, the CPU/GPU is better but that's not really that exciting. I'm going to pass on this, the horrid color choices and glossy coating are the big turn-offs.

Wow it a whole mm thicker? How will we ever hold it?

BTW, that is just a smidge thinner than the first Gen iPhone and over a mm thinner than the iP3 & 3GS. Those two were 12.3 mm thick.

Did you own either of those?

I dont get the infactuation with thinness.
Everyone in here always said the iPhone felt solid because of its weight, well now it is very light and some reviewers say it feels cheap but im sure everyone in here will say it feels solid as a rock.

watchthisspace
Sep 23, 2012, 06:18 PM

The iPhone 5 or Lumia 920??

dukebound85
Sep 23, 2012, 06:19 PM
The iPhone 5 or Lumia 920??

Just too "blocky" but to each his own if they like it....just have a hard time seeing what is so great about it

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 06:21 PM

Just too "blocky" but to each his own if they like it....just have a hard time seeing what is so great about it

When did you feel one? It isnt out yet.

watchthisspace
Sep 23, 2012, 06:23 PM

Understandable, when I saw some photos next to the Galaxy S3, I realised that it is a big device.

I guess a lot of people are drawn to it because it's not another iPhone, or Android device, plus it's got some very impressive technology in it, which I hope will make it take off *fingers crossed* Too bad they haven't mentioned pricing, let alone a release date.

Bkasm
Sep 23, 2012, 06:28 PM

Let me ask you this, do you put a case on your iPhone or other device you may use? If yes, then what are you complaining about size wise? If not, as said before this phone is thinner than the original iPhone. A phone that almost everybody agreed on at the time, was very solid and comfortable to hold/carry.

People need to get over their infatuation with thinness in phones, and quit nitpicking. There was actually an article about how many people are complaining that the iP5 is too thin.

Color wise, to each their own. But if a color spectrum from red, yellow, gray, white, and black doesn't suit your eye; then I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for. Not to mention the black and gray are rumored to be matte. As well as a tease in a Nokia video that Cyan might be available too.

Really? Where were you able to hold and feel this device? Please let me know so I can go check it out too. :rolleyes:

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
Let me ask you this, do you put a case on your iPhone? If yes, then what are you complaining about size wise? If not, as said before this phone is thinner than the original iPhone. A phone that almost everybody agreed on at the time, was very solid and comfortable to hold/carry.

People need to get over their infatuation with thinness in phones, and quit nitpicking. There was actually an article about how many people are complaining that the iP5 is too thin.

Color wise, to each their own. But if a color spectrum from red, yellow, gray, white, and black doesn't suit your eye; then I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for. Not to mention the black and gray are rumored to be matte. As well as a tease in a Nokia video that Cyan might be available too.

Whether I put a case or not on my phone is completely irrelevant to the engineering team at Nokia. The key in your argument is "at the time". Things change over time. I don't put a case on my iPhone 4 (waiting on my iPhone 5 to be delivered). And comparing to the first iPhone is a pretty weak argument. I mean, any phone in the last 10 years was thinner than those very first brick-shaped cellphones but that doesn't mean anything.

As for colors, I didn't know the Lumia 920 came in gray, white or black. I think I read the initial announcement (the day of their media event) as only yellow and red and both were glossy. So my mistake there, I welcome additional colors because yellow and red are disgusting in my opinion. Matte finish is even better. If a matte cyan version came out, then I'd probably get one.

----------

Wow it a whole mm thicker? How will we ever hold it?

BTW, that is just a smidge thinner than the first Gen iPhone and over a mm thinner than the iP3 & 3GS. Those two were 12.3 mm thick.

Did you own either of those?

I dont get the infactuation with thinness.
Everyone in here always said the iPhone felt solid because of its weight, well now it is very light and some reviewers say it feels cheap but im sure everyone in here will say it feels solid as a rock.

Comparing the Lumia 920 to the first iPhone is pretty weak. It's over 5 years old. The very first cellphones were brick sized. It doesn't mean anything.

The iPhone feels solid not because of weight alone but because of the materials used. Metal is solid. Plastic is not. Glass looks very classy. Also, the frame felt very solid. Some Android phones are made of cheap flexible plastic that doesn't feel too solid. Yes, the iPhone is light but weight alone is not why I (keyword: I) think the 4/4S felt solid.

SlCKB0Y
Sep 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
However, the risk is so high and if Microsoft doesn't get out of their 2-3% market share with W8P, it's pretty much the end for Nokia.

^^ This. Nokia have bet everything on the success of Windows 8. Bad idea...

They have already been shafted bigtime by MS during this current relationship. Why on earth did MS announce months ago that no existing WP7 phones would be able to upgrade? Especially when they didn't already have a release date for WP8?

You can bet that wasn't good for the then-current Nokia WP7 line. Terrible in fact.

----------

And comparing to the first iPhone is a pretty weak argument. I mean, any phone in the last 10 years was thinner than those very first brick-shaped cellphones but that doesn't mean anything.

I think you're missing the point. They are emphasizing just how thick the new Lumia is given it's roughly the same thickness as 5 year old technology.

Bkasm
Sep 23, 2012, 07:11 PM
Whether I put a case or not on my phone is completely irrelevant to the engineering team at Nokia. The key in your argument is "at the time". Things change over time. I don't put a case on my iPhone 4 (waiting on my iPhone 5 to be delivered). And comparing to the first iPhone is a pretty weak argument. I mean, any phone in the last 10 years was thinner than those very first brick-shaped cellphones but that doesn't mean anything.

It's millimeters people. Let's not pass up a phone that can be genuinely special and shake up the market because it's a few millimeters thicker than the iP5. You won't notice after awhile, or even care for that matter. I promise.

dukebound85
Sep 23, 2012, 07:14 PM
When did you feel one? It isnt out yet.

Hmm it was a nokia and could have sworn it was out on display at the ATT. Very easily may have been mistaken but looked similar to what is posted here

Maybe I was holding the old model

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 23, 2012, 07:26 PM
It's millimeters people. Let's not pass up a phone that can be genuinely special and shake up the market because it's a few millimeters thicker than the iP5. You won't notice after awhile, or even care for that matter. I promise.

So? I doubt it will shake up the market. Apart from the camera tech, there is nothing that is really special or unique to it. Faster CPU/GPU? Every new smartphone has that. Design? Same as previous. Screen? It's a huge improvement no doubt but the iPhone has had retina-class displays for 3 iterations.

In a few aspects, it's actually a step backward. Like the glossy finish. Thickness.

flameproof
Sep 23, 2012, 08:07 PM
the iPhone has had retina-class displays for 3 iterations.

All better phones have that now, right?

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
All better phones have that now, right?

Yea now. We didn't see phones have retina-class displays until after 4S.

Vegastouch
Sep 23, 2012, 08:20 PM
Comparing the Lumia 920 to the first iPhone is pretty weak. It's over 5 years old. The very first cellphones were brick sized. It doesn't mean anything.

Its not weak. The 3 and 3GS were thicker than the first one and they still sell the 3GS. Sorry you dont like the facts but thats what they are...facts! The point is, 1 MM isnt crap. It is about as thick as an ordinary paper clip.

The iPhone feels solid not because of weight alone but because of the materials used. Metal is solid. Plastic is not. Glass looks very classy. Also, the frame felt very solid. Some Android phones are made of cheap flexible plastic that doesn't feel too solid. Yes, the iPhone is light but weight alone is not why I (keyword: I) think the 4/4S felt solid.

Thats you, and most here will say it is solid when they said a lighter weight phone feels cheap but of course now its different. And most of those Android phones are made of Polycarbonate and the flex of it is a good thing. Better to be flexible than rigid. Those break more easily....like the plastic they put on the iP3 & 3GS. That was crap plastic.

----------

Hmm it was a nokia and could have sworn it was out on display at the ATT. Very easily may have been mistaken but looked similar to what is posted here

Maybe I was holding the old model

Must have been because the new ones arent going to be out til November.

Bkasm
Sep 23, 2012, 08:22 PM
So? I doubt it will shake up the market. Apart from the camera tech, there is nothing that is really special or unique to it. Faster CPU/GPU? Every new smartphone has that. Design? Same as previous. Screen? It's a huge improvement no doubt but the iPhone has had retina-class displays for 3 iterations.

In a few aspects, it's actually a step backward. Like the glossy finish. Thickness.

Basically everything you said can be applied to the iPhone 5 as well. In the end it all depends how good Windows 8 is. Apple's iOS, though it works well, is starting to feel severely dated. I'm also pretty sure the screen on the Lumia will be superior to the iPhone.

As for the "steps backward." That's just a matter of personal taste. Plenty of people don't mind the gloss or the thickness.

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 23, 2012, 08:24 PM
Basically everything you said can be applied to the iPhone 5 as well. In the end it all depends how good Windows 8 is. Apple's iOS, though it works well, is starting to feel severely dated. I'm also pretty sure the screen on the Lumia will be superior to the iPhone.

True and the Lumia screen is superior on paper. Not sure about real life.

flameproof
Sep 23, 2012, 08:29 PM

Can't see why that plays any role whatsoever for buying a phone today.

----------

True and the Lumia screen is superior on paper. Not sure about real life.

I only had a Lumia 800 for testing. Compare to the iPhone 4 I didn't notice any difference. Could be that the Lumia is a bit brighter in daylight. iPhone 5 has pretty much the same screen.

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Can't see why that plays any role whatsoever for buying a phone today.

----------

I only had a Lumia 800 for testing. Compare to the iPhone 4 I didn't notice any difference. Could be that the Lumia is a bit brighter in daylight. iPhone 5 has pretty much the same screen.

It plays a role because the rest of the industry was playing catchup to the iPhone 4. Lumia 800 and 920 have different PPIs and panel technologies. Nokia now uses IPS instead of the disgusting AMOLED.

flameproof
Sep 23, 2012, 08:44 PM
It plays a role because the rest of the industry was playing catchup to the iPhone 4. Lumia 800 and 920 have different PPIs and panel technologies. Nokia now uses IPS instead of the disgusting AMOLED.

Screen looks good, so who cares about the technology or who had it first?

If first is important, then go for Motorola, they had already mobile phones out when Apple started in 1980 or so.

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 24, 2012, 02:25 AM
Screen looks good, so who cares about the technology or who had it first?

If first is important, then go for Motorola, they had already mobile phones out when Apple started in 1980 or so.

IPS is vastly superior to AMOLED. And solely being first doesn't mean much. But having a retina-class display about 2 years after Apple already put one on the market isn't going to shake up the market. It's not special or unique anymore.

b166er
Sep 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
I keep hearing the 10/21 date being thrown around. I wonder if that's a preorder or an actual launch or what. I'm really looking forward to trying one of these out.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 25, 2012, 09:18 AM

I wish it was thinner too. However I think IMO it will be much more comfortable in the hand with its rounded back. And from what I have read the camera technology along with the witless charging is what made it thicker and heavier.

As far as gloss I would be getting black which is matte they have a grey which is matte too.

snow blind
Sep 25, 2012, 09:28 AM
IPS is vastly superior to AMOLED. And solely being first doesn't mean much. But having a retina-class display about 2 years after Apple already put one on the market isn't going to shake up the market. It's not special or unique anymore. You realize Apple didn't engineer the screen, right? They just sourced a part before their competitors because of the industry pull they have.

blackfox
Sep 29, 2012, 01:55 AM
I personally am really excited about the 920. It will probably be the first phone I buy unsubsidized. I really like the design, screen technology, camera technology and the 3 microphones (to record up to 140db). I could do without the yellow color (wish the cyan was still available).

What intrigues me mostly, however, are the Nokia apps. The augmented reality app, the maps/driving/public transit app, and the Nokia music app (bye, spotify). The latter even lists gigs in the area. It all seems pretty intergrated and seamless...at least in theory.

As for WP8, I am cautiously optimistic. WP7.5 is decent (I've has a windows phone for about 8 months), and WP8 seems to build on a solid idea. There is tighter intergration with windows 8, which should help app development a lot. There aren't a bunch of windows phones, but there are a bunch of PCs out there.

Personally, I don't like too many apps on my phone. This Nokia could prove to be an excellent tool - through navigation, access to music, fast web access, and great photo and video capabilities. For me, that's enough.

The new iPhone is impressive though. It isn't a flashy update, but it is a functional one (save for the maps issue). I have all mac equipment with the exception of my phone and love them. I was just curious about windows phone, and I really like where they've gone and might be headed. Your experience may vary...but competition is good for everyone.

*edit* Upon further research, perhaps Nokia music will not replace spotify/pandora - but it's nice.

rillrill
Sep 29, 2012, 07:19 AM
did they announce a price on unsub 920's? this is probably my next device, unless google can beef up their nexus line. also, when is this hitting the US?

Faux Carnival
Sep 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
I don't understand people hating live tiles. I think live tiles are the greatest innovation in mobile device industry.

They do exactly a mobile device has to do. Give you information without going into the app. Get the phone out of your pocket and with a glimpse, you see all your texts, emails, missed calls, profile updates, weather and what not... Then put it back in your pocket. Convenient. Plus, the design is flawless. Clean, undersandable, simple.

On the other hand, it is still 73C on your app icon. Enjoy the 5th row by the way.

Renzatic
Sep 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
On the other hand, it is still 73C on your app icon. Enjoy the 5th row by the way.

Not on my iPhone. I bought the Fahrenheit app. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Misc/arms.gif

aznguyen316
Sep 29, 2012, 04:19 PM
I also really like the live tiles. A lot. I'm all about having information ready at hand rather than going in and out of apps. I realized iOS is too much based on apps. Jailbreak plus the notification Window has helped some at least to not have it all app heavy..

FelixDerKater
Sep 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
It's always 73 and sunny if you have an iPhone... How can you beat that? ;-)

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 29, 2012, 09:41 PM
I don't understand people hating live tiles. I think live tiles are the greatest innovation in mobile device industry.

They do exactly a mobile device has to do. Give you information without going into the app. Get the phone out of your pocket and with a glimpse, you see all your texts, emails, missed calls, profile updates, weather and what not... Then put it back in your pocket. Convenient. Plus, the design is flawless. Clean, undersandable, simple.

I can't wait to try these live tiles. But how much time am I really saving vs iOS or android? If I pull down the notification tray isn't that the same thing? I have all my alerts right there at a glance right? Don't get me wrong, the lumia 920 will be my next phone to try but doesn't a notification tray do the same thing as a notification tray? Just some thoughts.

blackhand1001
Sep 29, 2012, 10:34 PM

Motorola Droid.

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
Motorola Droid.

Not the first few Droids. Only the Droid RAZR HD and Droid RAZR MAXX HD which was introduced this year.

blackhand1001
Sep 30, 2012, 11:04 PM
Not the first few Droids. Only the Droid RAZR HD and Droid RAZR MAXX HD which was introduced this year.

The first motorola two droids had a 265ppi non pentile display. The iphone at the time only had a 163 ppi display which was out at the same time. Thats an over 100 ppi difference.

SnowLeopard2008
Oct 1, 2012, 12:08 AM
The first motorola two droids had a 265ppi non pentile display. The iphone at the time only had a 163 ppi display which was out at the same time. Thats an over 100 ppi difference.

I was talking about retina-class displays... 265ppi is not retina-class.

blackhand1001
Oct 1, 2012, 09:16 AM

Um yes it is. I guess the iPad and the macbook pro aren't retina then since they are both lower PPI. The majority of people wouldn't notice the difference between 265 and 320. They would notice the difference between 160 and 265. Apple was forced to simply double the screen resolution because of limitations of the os which doesn't support scaling to any resolution, something that android can do natively. They did this because the competition was using much denser screens than they were. The only option they had was to double the number of pixels.

ChazUK
Oct 1, 2012, 09:36 AM

Toshiba .
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=707&c=toshiba_portege_g900
3 inch screen at 800 x 480 (313 PPI)
Released June, 2007.

Apple iPhone 4:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-3275.php
3.5 inch screen at 640x960 (326 PPI)
Released

Is 313 PPI enough for Retina status?

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 1, 2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/01/nokia-analysis-recovery-unlikely/

Does this scare anyone else??? I know there is no way of knowing if this will or will not happen but I would hate to sign a two year contract and the company be dissolved. We all know Nokia is in a tough spot right now.

Vegastouch
Oct 1, 2012, 09:22 PM
Toshiba .
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=707&c=toshiba_portege_g900
3 inch screen at 800 x 480 (313 PPI)
Released June, 2007.

Apple iPhone 4:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-3275.php
3.5 inch screen at 640x960 (326 PPI)
Released

Is 313 PPI enough for Retina status?

Dont you know that Apple invents everything? :rolleyes:

dukebound85
Oct 1, 2012, 09:27 PM

I don't get your argument. The fact that phones were using high res displays before the iPhone is indicative that the market was moving to higher res displays......with or without apple

Vegastouch
Oct 1, 2012, 09:31 PM

Does this scare anyone else??? I know there is no way of knowing if this will or will not happen but I would hate to sign a two year contract and the company be dissolved. We all know Nokia is in a tough spot right now.

Id hate to see it happen. They make solid phones but it wouldnt scare me. Your not signing a two year contract with Nokia. If the phone has issues or breaks or you lose it, they should have some in stock or they will get you something else id think. Or nothing happens and you use it for those two years.

Technarchy
Oct 1, 2012, 10:00 PM

Companies like Nokia don't vanish into thin air overnight.They will find the financing they need to restructure.

Obviously there is always a breaking point, but I don't think they are there yet.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
Id hate to see it happen. They make solid phones but it wouldnt scare me. Your not signing a two year contract with Nokia. If the phone has issues or breaks or you lose it, they should have some in stock or they will get you something else id think. Or nothing happens and you use it for those two years.

I know this is just one analysts advice but it doesn't make you feel good about the company you are buying from. But you are right. Worst case scenario if I can keep the phone until its one for a new one. That is assuming I keep it in the first place of course.

----------

Companies like Nokia don't vanish into thin air overnight.They will find the financing they need to restructure.

Obviously there is always a breaking point, but I don't think they are there yet.

Lets hope not. They have some excellent hardware and they seem to be pushing forward with things the most right now in the smartphone world

utl768
Oct 1, 2012, 10:49 PM
looks nice but that home screen is a colossal mess

that alone would turn me off

Vegastouch
Oct 1, 2012, 11:28 PM

It looks like a mess compared to 5 rows of icons? :eek:

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 2, 2012, 07:08 AM

Lol it does seem like it could be a little much. But the beatify of it is that you decide what is there and what is not. You decide how big the tiles are and how small they are. If you wanted you could make a bunch of little icons.

Prototypical
Oct 2, 2012, 09:55 AM
It looks like a mess compared to 5 rows of icons? :eek:

Or the complete cluster**** that is the average Android home screen?

WP8 is one of the cleanest, most streamlined OS out right now (regardless of functionality).

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 2, 2012, 03:40 PM
I don't know if this is the right for this but here we go:

Edit: question. Does anyone know of a way in WP8 or Android (Tweaks, rooting included) to "tap to go to the top" ?? As in just like iOS? It is system wide. I use that feature ALL DAY EVERYDAY and I would miss it on these platforms. I'm goings to post this in the software section too.

007bond
Oct 2, 2012, 04:05 PM
I don't know if this is the right for this but here we go:

Edit: question. Does anyone know of a way in WP8 or Android (Tweaks, rooting included) to "tap to go to the top" ?? As in just like iOS? It is system wide. I use that feature ALL DAY EVERYDAY and I would miss it on these platforms. I'm goings to post this in the software section too.

Found this on the following site(note, this only works with the S3):

"'Tap-to-Top' Feature - This feature allows the user to quickly jump from anywhere in your e-mail inbox, contact list or within an e-mail message to the top of the list or message, which can save you time. To jump to the top of your e-mail inbox, contact list or the start of a message simply double tap the top of your Galaxy S3 device, just above the ear-speaker--tap the top of the device, not the top of the display."

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/366949/20120726/samsung-galaxy-s3-shortcuts-tips-tricks-use.htm#.UGtWh_l25Rw

b166er
Oct 2, 2012, 06:19 PM
I don't think Nokia is going anywhere just yet. They are suffering, that is a fact. But I think they will find some balance and stay above water for a while. I do think it's a little silly to put the majority of their eggs in the WP8 basket, but WP8 could end up making Nokia a lot of money.

I can't wait to get my hands on this Lumina 920. I think I'll love it and welcome the change. If not, oh well, I still have my 4S. I'm just very eager to give each mobile OS an honest try and I think these 920's look choice.

Technarchy
Oct 2, 2012, 06:34 PM
The Nokia 920 looks slick, but I find myself being drawn to the HTC 8X.

The smaller screen and thinner design appeal to me.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
Found this on the following site(note, this only works with the S3):

"'Tap-to-Top' Feature - This feature allows the user to quickly jump from anywhere in your e-mail inbox, contact list or within an e-mail message to the top of the list or message, which can save you time. To jump to the top of your e-mail inbox, contact list or the start of a message simply double tap the top of your Galaxy S3 device, just above the ear-speaker--tap the top of the device, not the top of the display."

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/366949/20120726/samsung-galaxy-s3-shortcuts-tips-tricks-use.htm#.UGtWh_l25Rw

Thanks for looking for this. Unfortunately, this feature only works in contacts or mail :-(. In iOS it works system wide and in almost every app I have come across. The web browser is really where I use it so much.

----------

I can definitely understand that. I wish they would have added more stand out features though like Nokia did. All they have is beats and the thinner lighter form factor. You may even be able to cancel beats out because Nokia has Dolby. It's like Nokia packed all the stand out features they could in the 920. Probably why it's bigger and heavier ;-)

calb
Oct 3, 2012, 03:54 AM

Yet it's not noticeably thinner––10.12mm on the 8X, 10.7mm on the 920––and is taller than the 920. The most noticeable physical differentiator is probably the weight, with the 920 being over 40% heavier than the 8X.

On the things that matter to me, the 920 is more attractive. More storage, LTE, better camera enhancements, better display (including super-sensitive touch, enhanced scrolling, ClearBlack) wireless charging, larger capacity battery, and IMO a better aspect ratio. Even on the area HTC is trying to differentiate (Beats audio), Nokia is packing enhancements from Dolby.

Comparison chart: http://www.wpcentral.com/updated-comparison-guide-windows-phone-8-devices

austinguy23
Oct 4, 2012, 07:56 AM
The styling of those tiles looks absolutely cheesy. It's like they tried to make it appeal to little kids or something.

Awesome hardware. Positively corny OS.

hawk1410
Oct 4, 2012, 08:00 AM
Nokia has always been making great phones when it comes to build quality and finesse of the final product. Nokia have been the best built phones in market aside from Apple's. WP8 looks like a great OS and unlike previous WP flagships, the 920 actually has good hardware to go with the excellent WP software. The only thing lacking is a good app ecosystem which is a major deal killer, but I guess Metro will get more popular with the release of Win 8 later this month, so there's a good chance we'll see a lot more WP8 apps, but Nokia/Microsoft still have their work cut out for them if they want to compete with Apple or Samsung

GroundLoop
Oct 4, 2012, 11:27 AM
Well I guess I will not be getting the Lumia 920 as it is going to be an AT&T exclusive. I think that Nokia is making a big mistake not making this phone available on Verizon immediately.

GL

Technarchy
Oct 4, 2012, 12:03 PM
Well I guess I will not be getting the Lumia 920 as it is going to be an AT&T exclusive. I think that Nokia is making a big mistake not making this phone available on Verizon immediately.

GL

Nokia has a spotty CDMA record so I'm not surprised. I think it's a mistake though

ChazUK
Oct 4, 2012, 12:04 PM

GL

Can Nokia really afford to play the exclusivity game in the U.S? They've left it wide open for HTC and Samsung to clean up on all other carriers when it comes to Windows Phone.

snow blind
Oct 4, 2012, 12:48 PM
Can Nokia really afford to play the exclusivity game in the U.S? They've left it wide open for HTC and Samsung to clean up on all other carriers when it comes to Windows Phone. Yeah, this seems like a terrible, terrible idea. I just don't understand how this could have happened? This is Nokia's last chance. If the 920/820 don't sell well... they're gone. Would have put money down that it wasn't going to be an exclusive. Oh well.

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2012, 12:51 PM
HTC Windows phones are going to eat Nokia up.

NT1440
Oct 4, 2012, 12:53 PM
You realize Apple didn't engineer the screen, right? They just sourced a part before their competitors because of the industry pull they have.

No, apple has been working with its screen partners to bring the first in-cell multitiouch screens to the market. They've been developing the technology for years now, in the labs since 2007 at least:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/09/apple-granted-integrated-touch-display-gimballed-scroll-wheel-patents.html

Using the circuitry that is already there behind the screen (meaning those responsible for making the screen work) to detect multi-touch capacitive input? That's genius engineering.

Bkasm
Oct 4, 2012, 04:34 PM
Glad I'm on AT&T! November can't come soon enough!

four
Oct 4, 2012, 04:58 PM
The styling of those tiles looks absolutely cheesy. It's like they tried to make it appeal to little kids or something.

Awesome hardware. Positively corny OS.

I am not a fan of the tiles either, but the problem is if they copy anybody they'll end up getting sued. Nobody else has live tile.

Nabooly
Oct 5, 2012, 03:13 PM
Wow, this is disappointing :( I hope we can get some real details about the whole exclusivity deal :/

b166er
Oct 5, 2012, 09:58 PM
I kinda like the tiles. I can see how they may get old though. Then again, iOS isn't looking all that fresh and neither is android. But I'm gonna give the tiles a shot once this thing drops.

entatlrg
Oct 7, 2012, 10:13 AM
The Nokia 900 I had was not a comfortable phone to hold onto or have in your pocket. It's wide, heavy, thick and clunky with sharp edges. For that reason alone I think a lot of people pass on it. The 920 doesn't solve any of that.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
The Nokia 900 I had was not a comfortable phone to hold onto or have in your pocket. It's wide, heavy, thick and clunky with sharp edges. For that reason alone I think a lot of people pass on it. The 920 doesn't solve any of that.

Interesting. I thought the curved back would make it more comfortable to hold.

aaronchow
Oct 9, 2012, 01:17 AM

I have a big hand, so it fits my hand nicely, but the Lumia 900 is a little too tight for my jeans. But don't trust my words. You should go check it out when they release the 920 in November :)

Bkasm
Oct 9, 2012, 02:19 AM
Apparently AT&T will start pre-orders for Windows 8 phones October 21st, with release dates in early November. Exciting!

roxxette
Oct 9, 2012, 04:42 AM
These have probably been asked but do you guys think the unlocked version of the lumia 920 will be available on amazon ?

flameproof
Oct 9, 2012, 05:13 AM
As a huge Lumia fan.....

Maybe. But a flat back, like on on the iPhone 4 has one HUGE advantage:

I can put it on a table, type, and it doesn't wobble.

This advantage counts more then whatever feeling can get while holding it.

Simoquasimo
Oct 9, 2012, 07:13 AM
HTC Windows phones are going to eat Nokia up.

HTC? haha

Bkasm
Oct 9, 2012, 02:18 PM
Rumor has it a possible Lumia 820 variant coming to Verizon. Good move, if true.

Prototypical
Oct 10, 2012, 09:34 AM
Rumor has it a possible Lumia 820 variant coming to Verizon. Good move, if true.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/10/atlas.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the 820 variant (just leaked model codenamed "Atlas"), but I certainly hope not. If this is what Nokia thinks they can pass off on the Verizon masses as their return to the US market, they have already failed.

Bkasm
Oct 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/10/lumia-822.jpg

Supposedly the "Lumia 822" for Verizon. I feel bad for you guys, these alternate designs look terrible. Not sure why they don't let these other carriers have the 920 and 820, if they were just going to give you these ugly looking versions anyway.

Vegastouch
Oct 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
Its the same BS with carriers wanting their own look and name and Nokia is caving. I loved it when Samsung told them no and made the GS3 the same for all.

T-Mobile is getting the 810 which is almost the same as the 820 but TMo has no LTE. The 810 at least looks good.

roxxette
Oct 11, 2012, 04:35 AM
thats verizone phone looks disgusting :eek:

flameproof
Oct 11, 2012, 04:59 AM

The HTC won't have the Nokia Drive car navigation included. A strong buy point for me.

Fair point. There are smaller Lumias too, Lumia 820 i.e.

thats verizone phone looks disgusting :eek:

Mhm, the 820 looks a little boring. The 822 looks ugly, wouldn't buy it. Pity they don't go on with the Lumia 800 design.

Bkasm
Oct 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
I read somewhere the other day that the Lumia 920 with only be exclusive to AT&T for the first 6 months of release. There is hope for you "other carrier" guys out there!

Smithwicks
Oct 17, 2012, 10:54 PM
I read somewhere the other day that the Lumia 920 with only be exclusive to AT&T for the first 6 months of release. There is hope for you "other carrier" guys out there!

Who's going to wait for a 6 month old phone?

b166er
Oct 18, 2012, 12:08 AM
Who's going to wait for a 6 month old phone?

Not that the 920 has the hype the iPhone 4 had, but a lot of people bought a several month old iPhone 4 when it finally came to Verizon. It's all about timing. When is your contract up, are you bored with your current phone, etc. The S3 is still selling like hot cakes and its half way through its life cycle.

JoeG4
Oct 18, 2012, 12:30 AM
It weighs almost twice as much as an iphone and is only available on AT&T.

The 810/820/822/whatever is available on the other networks, but yea..

b166er
Oct 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
I'm still really looking forward to it. I already have AT&T. And I think the exclusivity will only be for 6 months. As far as the weight/overall girth of the phone I'm cool with it. I hate how dainty and delicate the iPhone 5 feels. I don't wear skinny jeans. I'M NOT AFRAID.

nickchallis92
Oct 19, 2012, 05:14 AM

Samsung have done amazingly well creating their own cult around the Galaxy line of handsets. It's definitely taken away sales from apple and there is similar interest around the new galaxy as there is around new iphones.

IFRIT
Oct 19, 2012, 04:15 PM

You don't know what you're talking about, have you even used a SGS3? It's incredibly smooth.

jav6454
Oct 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
You don't know what you're talking about, have you even used a SGS3? It's incredibly smooth.

I have and I hate it. Worthless piece of crap. Like I said, I'd rather take a Lumia than a Galaxy phone. And no, that is regardless of whatever piss party Apple has against Samsung.

Microsoft did a nice job with their Mobile OS. Shame it came late. Also, S3 uses high hardware specs to make it run smooth, iPhone OS and Windows Phone? Not so much.

Vegastouch
Oct 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
I have and I hate it. Worthless piece of crap. Like I said, I'd rather take a Lumia than a Galaxy phone. And no, that is regardless of whatever piss party Apple has against Samsung.

Microsoft did a nice job with their Mobile OS. Shame it came late. Also, S3 uses high hardware specs to make it run smooth, iPhone OS and Windows Phone? Not so much.

Such as?

Vetvito
Oct 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
It's not smooth due to high specs.

To the person who said Nokia will use quad core next year, don't count on it. WP8 requires S4 chips, like WP7 required Snap dragons. The kernel can support more cores, but the OS is built around one chip only.

Windows phone is cool, but it gets boring real fast. I'm still buying a unlocked device for fun though, but it won't be a Nokia though. Probably a 8x

IFRIT
Oct 20, 2012, 04:08 PM

You are very heavily biased so there is no point in wasting my time really discussing it with you.

Akash.B
Oct 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
I had the single core Samsung Focus and still WP7 ran buttery smooth. A dual core and faster processor in the 920 will be amazing, since the Windows Phone OS is super efficient. I can't wait to preorder the Lumia, even at full price!

jav6454
Oct 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
You are very heavily biased so there is no point in wasting my time really discussing it with you.

How am I biased? You asked if I used it, I said yes. I came to my own conclusion and that makes me biased? Lol, screw logic apparently.

Vetvito
Oct 20, 2012, 07:44 PM
I had the single core Samsung Focus and still WP7 ran buttery smooth. A dual core and faster processor in the 920 will be amazing, since the Windows Phone OS is super efficient. I can't wait to preorder the Lumia, even at full price!

If by efficient, you mean basically it was iOS 1, then I would say right you are.

Vegastouch
Oct 20, 2012, 07:47 PM
If by efficient, you mean basically it was iOS 1, then I would say right you are.

Pretty dumb comment since iOS1 didnt have simple things like MMS and copy and paste. Windows OS is much better than iOS 1 was but hey, maybe one day you will actually try one of those devices and be able to contribute a real take.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 21, 2012, 09:46 AM
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/10/21/3533650/nokia-lumia-920-htc-8x-pricing-pre-oder-att-best-buy

Wow! Talk about being priced to move!

Lumia 920 @ $149
HTC 8X @ $99

These are their companies flagship devices.

Vetvito
Oct 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
^ let's not forget the Lumia 900 was priced at $99 and only sold 600k units to stores.

Pretty dumb comment since iOS1 didnt have simple things like MMS and copy and paste. Windows OS is much better than iOS 1 was but hey, maybe one day you will actually try one of those devices and be able to contribute a real take.

Lol, I had one and getting another one. Thanks for assuming though. Windows phone had none of those until the NoDo update. You could mms pics but not videos. It didn't have copy and paste either.

The OS is still behind, Game Center makes XBL look laughable. Even after mango the thing doesn't do real multi player gaming.

Akash.B
Oct 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
Who's pre ordering one? I saw pre orders are live on Best Buy, but I'm waiting for ATT to put up their pre orders

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 21, 2012, 01:17 PM
Who's pre ordering one? I saw pre orders are live on Best Buy, but I'm waiting for ATT to put up their pre orders

I just can't bring myself to do it. Not with the Google event just 8 days away. I don't think the windows 8 OS is enough for me. Especially not enough to last two full years on a contract. I think I would go crazy wanting something new.

damitssam
Oct 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
Surprised Share plan so cheap. I usually don't use much data via 3g since I work at home and have wifi pretty much the whole time...

$40 a month cheaper than straight talk. Not bad indeed :cool:

But gonna have to wait for October 29th. Show me a game changer google!

b166er
Oct 21, 2012, 01:47 PM
ordering now, hope they drop within 2 weeks!

Bkasm
Oct 21, 2012, 01:57 PM

I too am waiting for AT&T to put up their pre-orders. I rather not do business through Best Buy.

northernbaldy
Oct 21, 2012, 01:58 PM
I need to have a play with one

It does look very iPod doesn't it ;):D

b166er
Oct 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
It says estimated arrival by 10/30- I wonder what that actually means. Everything I've heard from ATT is that this phone will drop "in November."

Also when I pre-ordered through BB it didn't give me an in-store pickup option, which I would have preferred. I will be out of town until 11/5 so on the off chance it arrives while I'm gone I'd hate to have 3 failed delivery attempts and then have to drive all the way to the DC to pick it up. But, such is life! I'm really excited to play with this thing. I even finally let go of my unlimited data and signed up for a mobile share. I rarely hit a gig a month. So I figured with my iPhone, 920, and then next year I'll add an iPad 4 to the plan, 4 gigs should be more than enough for me.

The only tough decision about ordering the 920 for me was cyan or black, but I went black. You know what they say...

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
It says estimated arrival by 10/30- I wonder what that actually means. Everything I've heard from ATT is that this phone will drop "in November."

Also when I pre-ordered through BB it didn't give me an in-store pickup option, which I would have preferred. I will be out of town until 11/5 so on the off chance it arrives while I'm gone I'd hate to have 3 failed delivery attempts and then have to drive all the way to the DC to pick it up. But, such is life! I'm really excited to play with this thing. I even finally let go of my unlimited data and signed up for a mobile share. I rarely hit a gig a month. So I figured with my iPhone, 920, and then next year I'll add an iPad 4 to the plan, 4 gigs should be more than enough for me.

The only tough decision about ordering the 920 for me was cyan or black, but I went black. You know what they say...

Haha black is always best. Cyan (and the other colors) are great but I feel like they would get old and annoying after a while. Especially in a business environment.

Akash.B
Oct 21, 2012, 02:33 PM
I can't decide between Red and White. The red just looks so fun, but white might work better with different colored wallpapers

Vegastouch
Oct 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
If i was able to get one(i dont have AT&T), id definitely get Cyan. Maybe ill get one unlocked down the road if i dont get a new Nexus.

scott craft
Oct 21, 2012, 08:56 PM
I would love to have a cyan 920, but I'm on Verizon, so I'm going to have to decide between the yellow or blue 8X.

Vetvito
Oct 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
Honestly I rather get a black phone with colored cases, because those colors would get old to me and wouldn't look good at business meetings.

wallpaper01
Oct 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
For those people who say they are invested in the Apple EcoSystem...

I escaped from an iPhone/iPad/iMac a year ago. Never looked back! Who cares about money in apps, all the best apps are free!

The Lumia 800 is the slickest phone i've ever used. Windows Phone uses far less resources than iOS, a year on it is no slower and i've updated etc... I wrote down all my iPhone apps and I was able to replace every one with an equivalent (not the games).

Email and calendar on Windows phone is 1000% better than iOS, so business users will probably be happy too. And Nokia Drive is well... Nothing short of amazing for a mobile device!

I have no doubt the Lumia 920 will blow everything away. I have no problem with change like some, I for one, am happy I tried the 800.

Vetvito
Oct 23, 2012, 05:00 PM
^ use less resources, please explain.

You replaced all your apps? With non updated apps? Have you tried board xpress, the awful tapatalk wannabe app?

I can agree emailing is great on windows phone.

IFRIT
Oct 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
How am I biased? You asked if I used it, I said yes. I came to my own conclusion and that makes me biased? Lol, screw logic apparently.

Because to say a phone that has sold 10's of millions is a worthless piece of crap has no idea about what makes a good phone or is blinded by fan boyism.

b166er
Oct 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
The way I look at it is, I am still able to maintain my apple ecosystem because I still have my mac, my iPad, and my iPhone will basically become an iPod touch. There are some apps I use all the time on iOS, but I don't need them "on the go" so really just having the iPad will be enough for me.

I'm probably going to keep a line on my iPhone for a while, a new line with the 920, and in the spring I may throw an iPad onto the data plan. I'm eager to try WP8, I have no reservations or fears about leaving one companies ecosystem. All the money I've spent on apps is retained if I ever choose to come back, it's not like a total wash.

jav6454
Oct 26, 2012, 12:14 AM
Because to say a phone that has sold 10's of millions is a worthless piece of crap has no idea about what makes a good phone or is blinded by fan boyism.

Selling millions of units does not mean its not crap. Case to point, Windows ME.
At any point, how does it make me a fanboy? I gave two good options, the Lumia and an iPhone. Want a Android based recommendation from my part? The Droids are much better than Samsung's S.

Vegastouch
Oct 26, 2012, 08:45 AM
Selling millions of units not mean its not crap. Case to point, Windows ME.
At any point, how does it make me a fanboy? I gave two good options, the Lumia and an iPhone. Want a Android based recommendation from my part? The Droids are much better than Samsung's S.

Windows ME is a bad comparison. There was no compitition there.

jav6454
Oct 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
Windows ME is a bad comparison. There was no compitition there.

Yet the point still stands, there are other better options with in the same Android ecosystem than Samsung's over spec'd phone.

Vegastouch
Oct 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yet the point still stands, there are other better options with in the same Android ecosystem than Samsung's over spec'd phone.

Nope, that was and still is a bad example

jav6454
Oct 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
Nope, that was and still is a bad example

Well, up to you. I was asked if I'd ever used the S3, said yes. Didn't like it and performed crap compared to the Lumia I used; for records, when I mean used, I mean 2 weeks.

Lumia trumps the S3, hands down; however, like I said originally, the problem with the Lumia is the anemic amount of apps available.

Bkasm
Oct 26, 2012, 04:32 PM
Ugh, now they're saying November 11th release. I'm really hoping its earlier than that. Like first week of November. I guess we'll find out Monday for sure.

MonteiroVi
Oct 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
These Lumias are the only phones to compete with iPhone 5. Its thickness is perfect to hold in the hand. Those almost flat phones are ridiculous, unproportional and don't fit in your hand. I believe that manufacturers should start paying more attention to weight and ergonomical designs than thickness. Just misses that it doesn't have that much of a processor and RAM. An upgrade would be welcome... But the screen is fine!

Bkasm
Oct 29, 2012, 02:49 PM
STILL no release date OR pricing for the Lumia. Wow, color me disappointed.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 29, 2012, 03:43 PM

I am disappointed in not only that but in WP8. They had nothing secret like they led the press to believe. This was a very lackluster release for them and makes me way more confident in my decision not to choose the Lumia.

craftytony
Oct 29, 2012, 03:48 PM

At the very least, it's the first smartphone I've seen that actually looks better than the iPhone and still manages to have the specs, features, performance and UI/OS to keep up.

The main differences are that the iPhone has more/better apps and less bulk (and a slightly better GPU), and the Lumia has a fresher OS and some neat features like a 720p+ screen (better resolution and PPI), better battery life, wireless charging, very advanced optics for their camera and NFC.

Hardware-wise, I don't think this phone comes close to looking as good as the iphone4 or 5. Now the UI...I would agree that it looks very nice and nice to see an iphone competitor putting an OS on their gadgets that actually looks and performs differently than iOS.

Bkasm
Oct 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
I am disappointed in not only that but in WP8. They had nothing secret like they led the press to believe. This was a very lackluster release for them and makes me way more confident in my decision not to choose the Lumia.

Nah, I'm completely happy with Win8 and everything it has to offer. Every hands-on impression and "reviews" I've read so far have been nothing but positive. Just really disappointed that no set dates were given for the Lumia. I mean, what better place than a freakin' Windows 8 Phone event. NOPE. WRONG. :rolleyes::confused:

Vegastouch
Oct 29, 2012, 10:26 PM

Well it isnt the 920 but T-Mobile announced dates and prices for the Lumia they are getting. The 820 will be available on 11/14 and they are also getting the HTC Windows 8X also available on 11/14.

The biggest news is the announcement of the Nexus 4 and will be in the Google Playstore on 11/13 and in TMo stores on 11/14. It will come with JB 4.2. Dont look cheap. They said in the Playstore it will be $299 but im sure that is correct Sounds cheap to me and that should be for the 8GB version.

Tell you what, if it is only $299 for a 8GB and guessing $349 for the 16GB..im getting one unlocked from the Playstore.

Here is the Link (http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/lg-google-announce-the-nexus-4-available-in-play-store-beginning-november-13th/) to that announcement.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 30, 2012, 06:26 AM
Well it isnt the 920 but T-Mobile announced dates and prices for the Lumia they are getting. The 820 will be available on 11/14 and they are also getting the HTC Windows 8X also available on 11/14.

The biggest news is the announcement of the Nexus 4 and will be in the Google Playstore on 11/13 and in TMo stores on 11/14. It will come with JB 4.2. Dont look cheap. They said in the Playstore it will be $299 but im sure that is correct Sounds cheap to me and that should be for the 8GB version.

Tell you what, if it is only $299 for a 8GB and guessing $349 for the 16GB..im getting one unlocked from the Playstore.

Here is the Link (http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/lg-google-announce-the-nexus-4-available-in-play-store-beginning-november-13th/) to that announcement.

No need to guess. $349 is official. I. Can't. Wait. :-)

Bkasm
Nov 6, 2012, 01:32 PM
Finally, we know. November 7th pre-order date for AT&T with a November 9th release. Pricing will be $99 and comes with a FREE wireless charging plate. Folks, that is one hell of a deal for this beast of a phone.

Jibbajabba
Nov 6, 2012, 01:38 PM
Maybe there aren't prices yet because the phone doesn't exist - otherwise why lying about the camera on adverts :p :D

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 6, 2012, 01:58 PM
Finally, we know. November 7th pre-order date for AT&T with a November 9th release. Pricing will be $99 and comes with a FREE wireless charging plate. Folks, that is one hell of a deal for this beast of a phone.

If windows app selection didn't suck so bad I'd consider picking one up.

Pjstock42
Nov 6, 2012, 03:11 PM
Again Microsoft dropped the ball here in terms of manufacturing.

They were so, so close to prying many people away from Android/iOS - including me who has owned every iOS product of the last 3/4 years, but they just couldnt get the right design.

Right now if you want to migrate to Win8, you have to choose between the 920 which is inexcusably heavy/bulky, or the HTC 8X which looks great but has terrible battery life.

Hopefully they can figure out their manufacturing problems before the platform dies for good.

Akash.B
Nov 6, 2012, 03:55 PM

That just sealed the deal. Most definitely getting one!! Does anyone know how much it will cost unlocked? Or how to do a phantom line upgrade?

b166er
Nov 6, 2012, 05:28 PM

do you have a link for this?

Bkasm
Nov 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
do you have a link for this?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/6/3608488/att-lumia-920-820-htc-8x-pricing-release-date

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/06/att-windows-phone-pricing/

spinedoc77
Nov 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
Again Microsoft dropped the ball here in terms of manufacturing.

They were so, so close to prying many people away from Android/iOS - including me who has owned every iOS product of the last 3/4 years, but they just couldnt get the right design.

Right now if you want to migrate to Win8, you have to choose between the 920 which is inexcusably heavy/bulky, or the HTC 8X which looks great but has terrible battery life.

Hopefully they can figure out their manufacturing problems before the platform dies for good.

You also have the Samsung Ativ coming, that's what I'm waiting for. Thin as an iphone, big screen, microsd slot. Then after that hopefully the surface phone isn't too far out.

F123D
Nov 6, 2012, 05:42 PM
Excellent price with the wireless charger.

b166er
Nov 6, 2012, 06:50 PM
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/6/3608488/att-lumia-920-820-htc-8x-pricing-release-date

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/06/att-windows-phone-pricing/

Thanks.

I'm confused now- what does this mean for people (like me) who pre-ordered a 920 through best buy? We paid $150 and there was no mention of a mat being included. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

My order shows as having been processed for shipping (not shipped) and at that stage of the game it's too late to cancel. Wonder what's going on here, I keep hearing different things about release dates and best buy told me this item must be shipped, no in store pick up option.

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 6, 2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks.

I'm confused now- what does this mean for people (like me) who pre-ordered a 920 through best buy? We paid $150 and there was no mention of a mat being included. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

My order shows as having been processed for shipping (not shipped) and at that stage of the game it's too late to cancel. Wonder what's going on here, I keep hearing different things about release dates and best buy told me this item must be shipped, no in store pick up option.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/wmexperts/~3/SdSlYR3IUv8/story01.htm

I think you will be happy with this link.

b166er
Nov 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
I'm even noticing now that the hold on my account from BB is gone. I wonder if they are re-processing the orders to preemptively refund the $50 back to the people? More questions than answers, best buy! No big deal either way, I am just excited to check out this phone and play with a new OS and see how it suits me.

Vegastouch
Nov 6, 2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks.

Is why i never pre order. No need to pre order that phone. Just walk i and get it.

Pjstock42
Nov 7, 2012, 07:19 AM
You also have the Samsung Ativ coming, that's what I'm waiting for. Thin as an iphone, big screen, microsd slot. Then after that hopefully the surface phone isn't too far out.

Just looked it up...Looks ok but 4.8" screen?? Getting into Galaxy Note territory there.

spinedoc77
Nov 7, 2012, 07:50 AM
Just looked it up...Looks ok but 4.8" screen?? Getting into Galaxy Note territory there.

Yeah it's the same physical shell as the S3, so you can even go to a cellular store and pick it up and handle it. I'm realizing, at least for my purposes, that a smartphone is utterly useless without a big screen. It's incredibly painful to browse the web on my iphone4s and I only do it if I really need something.

I considered the note, but man it's just too huge for me. I figure the Ativ being a bit bigger will offset the 920's ridiculous heaviness and chunkiness, plus the microSD slot means a lot to me.

inselstudent
Nov 7, 2012, 09:51 AM
I bought the 820 today and am returning it tomorrow. Poor camera, poor interface, poor app selection. It was my first Windows phone and I'd imagined the tiles to be much more comfortable to use. Also, the 213ppi or so screen is a huge step backwards compared to my iPhone 4. The only thing that's notably better is the browser - because it's faster. But then my 4 has two-year-old hardware and apart from that it works just as well.

One more thing, the camera button on the side feels reeeeaaaally cheap. When using it I always had the feeling it wouldn't even work. Didn't even had a reassuring "click" sound...

beyondthepale35
Nov 7, 2012, 09:50 PM
I bought the 820 today and am returning it tomorrow. Poor camera, poor interface, poor app selection. It was my first Windows phone and I'd imagined the tiles to be much more comfortable to use. Also, the 213ppi or so screen is a huge step backwards compared to my iPhone 4. The only thing that's notably better is the browser - because it's faster. But then my 4 has two-year-old hardware and apart from that it works just as well.

One more thing, the camera button on the side feels reeeeaaaally cheap. When using it I always had the feeling it wouldn't even work. Didn't even had a reassuring "click" sound...

Hooray, another person who used something for a day and because its not familiar theyre returning it. Its their mid entry phone, of course its not going to be on the same level as an iphone 5. I also doubt a Nokia phone would have a cheap feeling shutter button, I havent heard anything about that, probably an abnormality. Can always just press the screen to take shots anyway.

inselstudent
Nov 8, 2012, 01:05 AM
Hooray, another person who used something for a day and because its not familiar theyre returning it. Its their mid entry phone, of course its not going to be on the same level as an iphone 5. I also doubt a Nokia phone would have a cheap feeling shutter button, I havent heard anything about that, probably an abnormality. Can always just press the screen to take shots anyway.

You are right that I might get used to all that. But look, the only comparison I have is a two year old iPhone 4, and two years are a lot of time in technology, so why is it that Nokia doesn't manage to give a better first impression on a 450 euros handset in 2012? 450 euros isn't even that far away from the iPhone's pricing - and I admit that for the price I'd expected more.

Vitrum
Nov 8, 2012, 01:09 AM
Honestly the 920 is awesome but the 820 is a fail at that price.

Technarchy
Nov 8, 2012, 02:19 AM

Too bad they ruined the package with an AMOLED screen. Plus AMOLED + Metro UI = the worst screen burn in I've ever seen.

I want a Windows 8 phone, and will probably get an HTC 8X because the Nokia is too bulky and the ATIV is AMOLED.

snow blind
Nov 8, 2012, 08:44 AM
Too bad they ruined the package with an AMOLED screen. Plus AMOLED + Metro UI = the worst screen burn in I've ever seen.

I want a Windows 8 phone, and will probably get an HTC 8X because the Nokia is too bulky and the ATIV is AMOLED.
I think the majority of the people who say it's "too heavy" or it's "too bulky" haven't had hands on time with it. Have you had the opportunity? Not criticizing... i'm honestly curious as mine should be delivered tomorrow and i've been worried about the heft.

Technarchy
Nov 8, 2012, 11:26 AM
I think the majority of the people who say it's "too heavy" or it's "too bulky" haven't had hands on time with it. Have you had the opportunity? Not criticizing... i'm honestly curious as mine should be delivered tomorrow and i've been worried about the heft.

The Lumia 900 was too bulky. The 920 is even bigger. That's the point of reference.

snow blind
Nov 8, 2012, 11:43 AM
The Lumia 900 was too bulky. The 920 is even bigger. That's the point of reference. Got ya. The 900 was completely fine to me. A superbly built device at a comfortable size. I expect the 920's increase to be negligible.

beyondthepale35
Nov 8, 2012, 04:14 PM
Just ordered my 920, and an 820 for my mom since she needs to move up to the smartphone world. Not too concerned about the weight since my girlfriend has an HTC Inspire and its the exact same weight, if her 5'4" 120 lb body can handle it im sure ill be ok.

gotzero
Nov 8, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have a Lumia 920 arriving tomorrow. Even with the off contract pricing it was so cheap it is worth a try.

My world mostly revolves around e-mail and (mostly Office) attachments, so there seems to be little to lose giving windows mobile a try. Legit Office along with the nice sized screen makes a winning combination. I really do not care about the camera or wireless charging but neither hurt.

The other phone I am considering is a Galaxy Note II, and the Lumia is tiny by comparison. I hope this is a big hit for windows mobile and it encourages Apple and Google to court more real productivity software for mobile platforms.

snow blind
Nov 8, 2012, 06:24 PM
I hope this is a big hit for windows mobile and it encourages Apple and Google to court more real productivity software for mobile platforms. Same here! Both Apple and Google need a swift kick in the pants. Competition is good!

b166er
Nov 8, 2012, 06:45 PM
I don't understand why google's presence on WP8 is so low. Yeah I get they have their own mobile, OS, but they are smart enough to know that not everyone is going to use Android. Either by choice, or by mandate from their jobs. They need to kick it up a notch offering some of their services on WP8.

Naturally, the google ecosystem is great on android, but in all honesty that's about the only thing I found great about it from a professional point of view. The tweaks are cool and there are absolutely some cool features that iOS needs to catch up to, but most of it is really just bling. As far as a down to business mobile OS Android doesn't offer much more than anyone else. I really hope they start putting some apps out for WP8.

Hoping to get a 920 tomorrow- I had a pre-order in with BB and they screwed it all up so I'm just going to swing by the ATT store before work and see what's good. They're showing inventory online already but they won't sell them today, at least the one by me.

Akash.B
Nov 8, 2012, 09:02 PM
Talked to a few ATT stores. Some flat out refused to sell it without extending the contract. Luckily I found one that will so I'll be picking one up! They all confirmed that it will come with a free wireless charger

b166er
Nov 8, 2012, 09:56 PM
I heard a lot of back and forth about the free charger. I see on the ATT site that they will throw one in free, but then you have to sign a new contract and they have to ship the phone. I wonder if I just walk in to a store tomorrow if they will give me a charger. I'm half considering buying it contract-free and just swapping out with my one line- I can't decide if adding a line makes sense or not.