PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Samsung Galaxy S IV?

fdsadfsadd3
Sep 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-to-unveil-galaxy-s4-in-feb-2013-7000004329/

Reports say that the newest Samsung Galaxy 4 will be announced in February next year.
They are talking about a 5in screen that would be exactly 1 in bigger than the iPhone 5.
Thoughts?Concerns?
Discuss.
:confused:

greytmom
Sep 17, 2012, 12:22 AM
Thoughts? I don't care.
Concerns? Umm, none.

GoCubsGo
Sep 17, 2012, 12:31 AM
5" screen? No thanks. Phones reach a size where they're just too large. At that point why not carry around a Galaxy Note 7.1?

MultiMediaWill
Sep 17, 2012, 12:44 AM
There is a new android phone every day.

intervenient
Sep 17, 2012, 12:44 AM
Oh my God. Stop with the screen sizes. 4.3 was perfect.

verwon
Sep 17, 2012, 12:46 AM
Thoughts.....this thread bored me.

Concerns......I need to turn on the pill reminder app on my 4S for the morning.

matttye
Sep 17, 2012, 01:36 AM
5" sounds massive but it's not much bigger than the S3's 4.8".

Any rumours posted now are likely to be inaccurate.

VulchR
Sep 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
It will be interesting if those who slammed the iPhone 5 for not being revolutionary enough for them will apply the same high standards to judging the changes in the Galaxy IV....

GoCubsGo
Sep 17, 2012, 06:44 AM

Any rumours posted now are likely to be inaccurate.

Have you held the S3? Have you tried to pocket it? I've done both and in my pocket due to the weight of it and the plastic build, I would be concerned about sitting down. To me, the 4S is perfect but i'm willing to check out the 5. I can't see myself ever wanting anything larger than the 5 though.

matttye
Sep 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
Have you held the S3? Have you tried to pocket it? I've done both and in my pocket due to the weight of it and the plastic build, I would be concerned about sitting down. To me, the 4S is perfect but i'm willing to check out the 5. I can't see myself ever wanting anything larger than the 5 though.

I own an S3 and alternate between a white hard plastic case and see through silicon case.

Fits in my pockets fine, but I don't wear skinny jeans or anything.

matttye
Sep 17, 2012, 07:04 AM
It will be interesting if those who slammed the iPhone 5 for not being revolutionary enough for them will apply the same high standards to judging the changes in the Galaxy IV....

Of course!

WRXHokie
Sep 17, 2012, 07:24 AM

You'd be concerned sitting down? You must wear some really tight pants. Most girls I know use their purse to hold their phones any way.

kicko
Sep 17, 2012, 08:38 AM

I always felt that way if i accidently sat on my iphone.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 17, 2012, 09:17 AM

Actually it would be a big difference. When I held the GS3 4.8 against the HTC One X 4.7, the difference in size was very noticeable.

onthecouchagain
Sep 17, 2012, 09:22 AM
If that's true, Samsung is getting a bit out of control with the size. Like someone else said, the Galaxy S line should remain 4.9" and under, while the Note can fill that 5"+ market.

Calm down, Samsung.

And where are the Nexus 2012 rumors/leaks? :T

GoCubsGo
Sep 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
You'd be concerned sitting down? You must wear some really tight pants. Most girls I know use their purse to hold their phones any way.

I'm not most girls you've had the pleasure of knowing.

MonkeySee....
Sep 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
The next Galaxy phone will have the headphone jack at the bottom.

You can bet your life on that.

3bs
Sep 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
If that's true, Samsung is getting a bit out of control with the size. Like someone else said, the Galaxy S line should remain 4.9" and under, while the Note can fill that 5"+ market.

Calm down, Samsung.

And where are the Nexus 2012 rumors/leaks? :T

Exactly how I feel. I have the S3 but I don't think I'm willing to go any bigger. This was a bit of an adjustment but as it is.

I think I'll be getting the next Nexus too. Can't wait for it's release!

zbarvian
Sep 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
This wouldn't surprise me. Samsung really can't do anything right. If anything, they need to move backwards in screen size. Who honestly thinks they want/need a 5" phone screen?

dojoman
Sep 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
I guess make the screen bigger and throw in a stylus they're set with S4. Innovate much?? Oh and fix a couple of motion gestures to actually work in real life.

mcman77
Sep 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
The overall size of the phone is what matters when considering a phone 'Too Big'.

Samsung goes for thin bezels which sort of makes things ok lol.

The GS3 is not that much bigger than the GS2 in size but the screen is much more bigger.

Efficiency of space is what counts.

McCool71
Sep 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
This wouldn't surprise me. Samsung really can't do anything right. If anything, they need to move backwards in screen size.

Why would they do that? They have several Android-based phones that have smaller screens than the Galaxy S3 - some even smaller than the iPhone 5, so you're not stuck with a 4.8" or larger if you want a Samsung phone.

alent1234
Sep 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
That's it no new phone for me
Just going to keep waiting for new phones

dialed1
Sep 17, 2012, 03:45 PM
Has it been a year yet?

daveathall
Sep 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'm quite happy with the size of my S3, felt large at first, feels perfect now.

pear21
Sep 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
The problem with Android is they don't offer as many alternatives as you might think. They have a lot of phones. But anything besides the galaxy series and some of the htc's the rest are crappy phones. They need to make a phone with a smaller screen lets say 4.3" that still has a quality build and nice features like their flagship phones.

linkgx1
Sep 17, 2012, 05:50 PM
Please, please just stop with the big screens! 4'' is good enough. If I wanted something over 4'' I'd whip out.......my tablet!:p Please stop the madness!

----------

The problem with Android is they don't offer as many alternatives as you might think. They have a lot of phones. But anything besides the galaxy series and some of the htc's the rest are crappy phones. They need to make a phone with a smaller screen lets say 4.3" that still has a quality build and nice features like their flagship phones.

I agree. I have the orignal Galaxy S and it was the perfect size. But I don't like having a monstrosity of a phone to have a good one.

blackhand1001
Sep 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
The next Galaxy phone will have the headphone jack at the bottom.

You can bet your life on that.

My galaxy nexus already has it on the bottom and came out before the 5.

Vegastouch
Sep 17, 2012, 10:55 PM

Reports say that the newest Samsung Galaxy 4 will be announced in February next year.
They are talking about a 5in screen that would be exactly 1 in bigger than the iPhone 5.
Thoughts?Concerns?
Discuss.

Too big for me so right now id be looking to the next Nexus line of phones.

maccompatible
Sep 17, 2012, 11:11 PM

How about the Razr M?

swpars
Sep 17, 2012, 11:15 PM

Motorola Droid Razr M is what you're looking for.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/motorola-droid-razr-m-review-a-very-good-ics-handset-in-a-small/

pear21
Sep 17, 2012, 11:17 PM
Motorola Droid Razr M is what you're looking for.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/motorola-droid-razr-m-review-a-very-good-ics-handset-in-a-small/

Thats a nice phone but what about all the people that don't have Verizon?

maccompatible
Sep 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
Thats a nice phone but what about all the people that don't have Verizon?

They can talk and text at the same time on 3G. So it balances out.

swpars
Sep 18, 2012, 12:05 AM

And if you're on 4G on Verizon (ie: pretty much any metropolitan area over 100k people in the USA ) you can talk and text at the same time.

Evoken
Sep 18, 2012, 12:45 AM
I'm quite happy with the size of my S3, felt large at first, feels perfect now.

For me one of my fears about the S3 when I was considering getting it was it's size, I feared it would be too big to use comfortably but nope, it is an excellent size and feels perfect for me. Been using mine rather comfortably and it feels without problem in my pockets.

watchthisspace
Sep 18, 2012, 01:08 AM
Has it been a year yet?

Probably by the time the device is available for purchase.

I'm starting to appreciate Apple's yearly update release cycle for iPhone's.

Calidude
Sep 18, 2012, 01:42 AM
Don't you guys love competition?

Anyway, hope they don't blow it this year with that Pebble crap.

kevinof
Sep 18, 2012, 01:50 AM
Agree. I loved, and still do, the size of the galaxy S2. To me that was the perfect screen size. All they had to do was improve the camera and stick in a bigger battery and I'd be happy.

Calidude
Sep 18, 2012, 01:56 AM
That's a fair criticism. I agree that Android manufacturers should make both a small and a large flagship phone with the exact same features except for screen size in order to cover all their bases.

pear21
Sep 18, 2012, 10:13 AM

I'm saying what's a quality phone with a smaller screen on AT&T or sprint.

Prototypical
Sep 18, 2012, 10:32 AM
That's a fair criticism. I agree that Android manufacturers should make both a small and a large flagship phone with the exact same features except for screen size in order to cover all their bases.

Indeed. One of the OEMs really needs to bring an iPhone-esque competitor to the market. 4-4.3" at most, top-notch build quality, vanilla Android experience, geared towards the more mature set who use the phone for productivity purposes, rather than for entertainment or gaming (which is really the primary reason for gigantic screens).

SpyderBite
Sep 18, 2012, 10:50 AM
Don't you guys love competition?

Anyway, hope they don't blow it this year with that Pebble crap.

Pebble is a kickstarter enterprise. What does it have to do with the topic at hand?

cwwilson
Sep 18, 2012, 02:47 PM
I was always kind of wondering where Samsung might go with the S4. 5" is the way to go, it will soon be the norm for premium smart phones. 1080p res as well? That would be a stunning phone. Of course Apple will still be trotting out a sub-HD phone by then. For as much as they've innovated with the iPad, they've really let the iPhone go.

wrkactjob
Sep 18, 2012, 02:54 PM

Thoughts?Concerns?
Discuss.

So Samsung have denied this is happening.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/17/tech/mobile/samsung-galaxy-s-4/index.html

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 18, 2012, 05:17 PM

Hey, the 1480's called. They want their chastity belts back.

McCool71
Sep 18, 2012, 05:27 PM

It might be announced in February, but I doubt it will be available until late spring.

Remember that the Galaxy S3 was known a couple of months before it launched in May this year.

Since Samsung doesn't play the 'full price until the next version is available'-game they have little to lose by doing launches this way - the S3 (just like the S2 and S1) will be more affordable than it's follow-up model already months before it is available, so it isn't really a competitor to the S4 when it comes to price. Those that have waited 8-10 months to get a S3 won't buy a S4 at launch anyway.

kdarling
Sep 19, 2012, 07:19 AM

Point of clarification:

You cannot talk and surf the internet at the same time on Verizon 3G (well, unless you have SVDO or are using VoIP).

However, you _can_ talk and text at the same time on a Verizon phone on 2G, 3G, or 4G.

That's because real texts (SMS... not internet based IMs) are not data and do not need or use an internet connection. They're more like a second phone call.

Elit3
Sep 19, 2012, 07:27 AM

Galaxy Nexus or the Motorola RAZR i good build quality, forfront of android and 4.3" a piece :)

pear21
Sep 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
Galaxy Nexus or the Motorola RAZR i good build quality, forfront of android and 4.3" a piece :)

I have AT&T so I know I can't get the nexus under contract.

Elit3
Sep 20, 2012, 04:57 AM
I have AT&T so I know I can't get the nexus under contract.

Oh, I forgot America has phones set to carriers, sorry. But the new Razr's are good :)

pear21
Sep 20, 2012, 09:57 AM
Oh, I forgot America has phones set to carriers, sorry. But the new Razr's are good :)

Haha yeah thats what sucks over here, there are alot of phones people cannot get because they are specific to one carrier.

Mr. Retrofire
Sep 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
5" screen? No thanks. Phones reach a size where they're just too large. At that point why not carry around a Galaxy Note 7.1?
Galaxy Note 2.
--> http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note2/spec.html?type=find

:D

My next PDA.

maccompatible
Sep 24, 2012, 10:03 PM
Point of clarification:

You cannot talk and surf the internet at the same time on Verizon 3G (well, unless you have SVDO or are using VoIP).

However, you _can_ talk and text at the same time on a Verizon phone on 2G, 3G, or 4G.

That's because real texts (SMS... not internet based IMs) are not data and do not need or use an internet connection. They're more like a second phone call.

I was talking about those not on verizon.
And I meant use data. Not text. :rolleyes:

ixodes
Sep 24, 2012, 10:08 PM

Thoughts?Concerns?
Discuss.
I like that you're suggesting a discussion. That's what forums are for.

Yet here in AppleLand bias towards iPhones runs deep. Conversely bashing & ridicule of Android is considered sport.

I'll sit back and watch the fireworks. :)

onthecouchagain
Sep 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
Samsung squashed those reports. Not that I care when the next GS4 is due.