PDA

View Full Version : The 2012 Air Buyers Dilemma: Rebuy next year or feel humbled!

nexsta
Sep 17, 2012, 02:07 AM
Tech sites (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/13/intels-new-chips-could-give-future-macbooks-24-hours-of-battery-life-just-like-current-arm-chips/) are claiming that the new Intel's Haswell architecture brings up to 24H of battery life with a single charge. When this will be real next year, you can then be sure that your 2012 Macbook Air will feel so immensely outdated.

People who bought an Air this year can already prepare to sell it next year and get a pretty bad resale value or they stick with it and feel so humbled like never before, I think it's a kind of dilemma...

If I would need a new Macbook Air now, I would only buy an used/refurbished 2011 one and sell it next year for the update.

jbzcar
Sep 17, 2012, 02:09 AM
Tech sites (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/13/intels-new-chips-could-give-future-macbooks-24-hours-of-battery-life-just-like-current-arm-chips/) are claiming that the new Intel's Haswell architecture brings up to 24H of battery life with a single charge. When this will be real next year, you can then be sure that your 2012 Macbook Air will feel so immensely outdated.

People who bought an Air this year can already prepare to sell it next year and get a pretty bad resell value or they stick with it and feel so humbled like never before, I think it's a kind of dilemma...

If I would need a new Macbook Air now, I would only buy an used 2011 one and sell it next year for the update.

Precisely why I got an '11 MBA instead of a '12 MBA. :)

Mrbobb
Sep 17, 2012, 02:36 AM
Already discussed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1426035

Wokis
Sep 17, 2012, 02:50 AM
All I've read seem to be indicating a great new idle mode. Remains to be seen how much power that gets saved when actually using the cpu, even light workloads which hinder the CPU from going into its deepest power state.

MultiFinder17
Sep 17, 2012, 05:13 AM
Or we can continue to use our 2012 Airs, which will work just as well as they do today even when the new ones come out.

OnceYouGoMac
Sep 17, 2012, 05:58 AM
Or we can continue to use our 2012 Airs, which will work just as well as they do today even when the new ones come out.

That's exactly what I'm going to do.

dbdynsty25
Sep 17, 2012, 10:31 AM

Exactly...plus, at already 6-7 hours of battery time is more than enough for my usage pattern. I can't remember the last time I went looking for my AC adapter in the 2 years I've owned an Air (11" and 13"). 24 hours would be pointless for me.

Fattytail
Sep 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. Excuse me for being highly skeptical. A less power hungry processor is not going to increase battery life by more than 3x. What about the screen and other components?

That said, my 2010 MBA is still working just fine for what I need it to do and I'll probably splurge on another one next year.

RightMACatU
Sep 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
The tech game is a never ending game. It's like looking into two facing mirrors... There's always something better around the corner. So Haswell is coming... and then what, "Haswell+1".
Perhaps people should wait until next year before deciding that they should wait until the following year to buy :D

Simply put: buy what you need when you need it.

Peter Harrison
Sep 17, 2012, 12:06 PM
If Haswell is a little better CPU, quite a lot faster graphics, and drastically improved battery life, I won't need to upgrade. 2012 suits me fine :) The current (and 2011) Air has more than enough battery for me. For the tasks I need it for, current model with 8GB RAM is perfect.

taipan61
Sep 17, 2012, 02:02 PM
for some it's always about having the latest and greatest so they can point out to everyone "hey look what i got!, you need one too!"
and by the release date they will come out with something else that will bog down the system or drain the battery

sorry if others feelings of inadequacy don't bother me, i'll keep my mid-year 2012 until i need to upgrade (probably around 2014)

macmastersam
Sep 17, 2012, 02:14 PM
i doubt anyone would ever get through 24H battery life on one cycle, unless your macbook is nowhere near a mains for like a month...

all i care about here with every iteration of a mac, especially the macbook air, is power. i would rather get better FPS on a game like minecraft or just get speedier rendering with video editing apps....

gpat
Sep 17, 2012, 02:36 PM
24hr battery life is completely crazy. Sure, you could manage that on Haswell on idle with the screen turned off, but at that point you might as well leave it on standby - 1 month battery life.

afinch1992
Sep 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
i would say 12-14 hr realtime use is more realistic.

aristobrat
Sep 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
And the processor after that will be the "refinement" of Haswell. That's the buying cycle I'm on. I'm loving my 2012, and will be more than content to wait til 2014 for my next one.

CoMoMacUser
Sep 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
My 2008 iMac works just fine. I'm confident that I'll be able to say the same thing about my 2012 MBA in 2016. But I wouldn't make the same bet about a handheld device such as the iPhone or iPad.

racer1441
Sep 18, 2012, 07:50 AM
Considering I buy the new one every year, doesn't impact me at all.

Mike in Kansas
Sep 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
If you are a "measure-bator" it may bother you to not have the latest, greatest, fastest, etc. But for practical purposes, I don't think 1 or 2 years of Apple evolutionary improvements will cause me to wail and gnash my teeth...

jacob.schmidt
Sep 18, 2012, 10:08 AM
How is this different from previous years? Buy in '11 regret in '12, buy in '12 regret in '13?

Don't see the big difference here.. A new version comes out every year. As others have stated; it's a never ending game.. I'll hold out till' october though, just to see a possible rmbp 13"..

nexsta
Sep 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
How is this different from previous years? Buy in '11 regret in '12, buy in '12 regret in '13?

Don't see the big difference here.. A new version comes out every year. As others have stated; it's a never ending game.. I'll hold out till' october though, just to see a possible rmbp 13"..

A battery life from 5 hours to 14+ hours and still a better cpu and graphic perfomance is a dramatic difference from past updates (The 11" Air still has the same 5H battery life since it was released 3 years ago). It will be the biggest step upwards in the history of macbooks if the claims are real.

twintin
Sep 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
So what if it is ?

calvol
Sep 18, 2012, 04:16 PM
Expect 1-2 hour bump in battery life, nothing more. Haswell is not revolutionary, just another tick in the Intel x86 architecture. Graphics will be the huge improvement, and may be worth upgrading from Ivy Bridge.

dyn
Sep 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
It is a release with a lot of changes. That also means that the chance of problems is a lot higher than with a minor release like Ivy Bridge. The problem with the powersaving in Haswell is that it relies heavily on an idle cpu. They are trying desperately to keep the cpu idle. It may mean that we'll see some problems with performance like when changing states. We see them now with the MBP Retina regarding switching between IGP and dedicated GPU. Not very sure if Haswell is going to be something you'd want. Whatever follows Haswell is (basically a fixed Haswell if you will).

jacob.schmidt
Sep 19, 2012, 12:47 AM
A battery life from 5 hours to 14+ hours and still a better cpu and graphic perfomance is a dramatic difference from past updates (The 11" Air still has the same 5H battery life since it was released 3 years ago). It will be the biggest step upwards in the history of macbooks if the claims are real.

No way you'll get 14+ hours of out Haswell.. Those battery hours rely on several components, and you'll get the time if, say the screen resolution is lowered, but if ips is used it'll be around the same..

MultiFinder17
Sep 20, 2012, 03:37 PM
Oops

Mac32
Sep 21, 2012, 03:21 AM
I wouldn't make a big deal of potensial problems with Haswell, you'll only be using the IGP anyway. Apple seems to do a fine job of messing up the OSX in general these days... :rolleyes:
I'm still using my MBA 2010, and will buy the very moment Haswell MBA 13'' is available. That MBA model will have a significant upgrade in graphics power (games, big external monitors), and yet remain very portable. Hopefully (I'm guessing here) the Haswell should also run cooler, because of the focus on longer battery life and lower power usage.

All this rush to constantly upgrade every or the other year is nonsense IMO. My 2010 MBA still runs like a champ, and runs cooler than the newer models.

Blackberryroid
Sep 21, 2012, 05:48 AM

The problem about this is knowing the fact that we would have spent the exact same amount of money as those who has the 2013 Air but theirs are so much better in terms of battery life.

You won't be able to help but notice their smiling faces carrying nothing but their Airs while you carry that clunky charger along with you.

That's the real torture. And now we're discussing on what would be the wise thing to do.

Acorn
Sep 21, 2012, 10:22 AM
well i really really like my 13 inch 2012 air. if they somehow double the battery life to like 14 hours i would consider picking up an 11 inch macbook air and keeping the 2012 13.

Mike in Kansas
Sep 21, 2012, 10:34 AM
The problem about this is knowing the fact that we would have spent the exact same amount of money as those who has the 2013 Air but theirs are so much better in terms of battery life.

You won't be able to help but notice their smiling faces carrying nothing but their Airs while you carry that clunky charger along with you.

That's the real torture. And now we're discussing on what would be the wise thing to do.

The problem about this is that we would have been using our MBAs and getting along in life while those waiting for what may or may not be will be whining and becoming frustrated when Apple doesn't release an update that conforms to their expectations (see iPhone 5) and timing (see iMac).

You won't be able to help but notice their frowns and posts of angst and impatience on forums while I am happily working away on my 2012 MBA.

That's the real rub. And now we're discussing the merits of buying what is out there now versus waiting for hypothetical vaporware that is sure to under-impress if/when it goes commercial.

iamsen47
Sep 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
So torture in the modern day has been redefined as someone else having a newer model of the same toy?

There already is a strong stereotype that people who buy Apple do so only because of the latest marketing gimmick, do we really want to help reinforce that image?

I have the 2012, you have a 20XX, woe is me, I must now sell off my family and all possessions so I can have it!

Read this please.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

----------

Let's be logical about this. One of the problems with the Air is how little space there is in it for batteries.

If this next processor were to magically double battery life, we can all be guaranteed that whatever battery life gained would be spent on new and improved RAM, SSDs, an IPS panel (or maybe even RETINA!!11!!) or whatever new-fangled version of whatever else is already in there.

What we gain in one place, we lose in another. That's how the universe works. Sir Newton died a virgin to prove that for us.

tdhurst
Sep 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
While I love it when I can sell my year-old Apple laptop for 50%+ of what I paid for it, I've never understood why you'd buy a tool (yes, a computer is just a set of tools), use it for a long time, and constantly worry about what it's worth when it's done.

If we waited to buy the next model until it was perfect, we'd never buy new models.

metadata
Sep 22, 2012, 06:51 AM
Just a quick question guys, will there likely be a refresh of the MBA line before Christmas this year? Thinking of getting the current 13" as I need a little more screen size from my current 2010 11".

Abazigal
Sep 22, 2012, 07:54 AM

The same can be said for those who bought 2011 airs. New models come and go. It is going to be another 9 months before apple updates its laptop line. If you think you can wait, then go ahead (and if you can wait, you probably don't really need a laptop in the first place). For those who do need one now, either get one now or hold out for the rumoured 13" retina mbp. :)

MultiFinder17
Sep 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'll just put out there that up until a month or so ago, I was using a Mid-2009 Air quite happily. I only upgraded because some of my work was pushing me beyond the comfortable capabilities of that machine (mostly the whole 2GB of RAM thing). I had it for a bit over three years, and I expect to get at least as much time out of my new Air; I might start looking for an upgrade around 2015-2016 :)