PDA

View Full Version : New approach to security

Mr. Anderson
Nov 16, 2002, 04:11 PM
At least for the US. I found this to be quite interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Northeast/11/16/logan.profiling.ap/index.html

On a recent trip through National Airport, I noticed a couple signs stating "Don't even say the word 'bomb'" That makes sense that no amount of joking is appropriate here and they're taking everything said very serious.

The Logan approach - based on Israel's airport security - is just another step. I'd love to see the results of this type of screening in a year.

D

cleo
Nov 16, 2002, 11:34 PM
To me this seems like yet another waste of resources that diverts attention away from the real issues around security against terrorism. Terrorist organizations could easily train their agents to pass such examinations; Richard Reed reportedly flew through Tel Aviv on a number of occasions just to be sure he could pass strict security measures. And let's be real here - airport security is reactionary and nothing more. I seriously, seriously doubt that the next terrorist attack on the US will use planes. From the terrorists' point of view, there's no need to deal with the hassle. After all, Israel's extreme airport security hasn't exactly prevented its citizenry from being terrorized!

Mr. Anderson
Nov 17, 2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by cleo
After all, Israel's extreme airport security hasn't exactly prevented its citizenry from being terrorized!

I have to agree - I'm thinking that most of this is just trying to figure out how to make a better mouse trap - and it hasn't been done yet. That's why I mentioned I'd love to see what the statistics were after a year or so of this new type of security measure in place. My guess is that it will only inconvenience most people and for the few unlucky individuals who hit the target profile, well, they'll have probably end up missing their plane at least.

D