Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
What do you all think the minimum time for a lawsuit between Samsung and apple will be for lte will be. I am waiting for apple to release the unlocked iPhones and I am hoping that Samsung doesn't win and get the iPhone banded before I get my phone.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Either I'm ignorant or the question is nonsensical.

How can Samsung have a monopoly on LTE? I don't think anyone can claim sole rights.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
What do you all think the minimum time for a lawsuit between Samsung and apple will be for lte will be. I am waiting for apple to release the unlocked iPhones and I am hoping that Samsung doesn't win and get the iPhone banded before I get my phone.

I think it takes more than a few weeks for a suit to be filed, heard and decided upon. You should be ok.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Samsung winning in a lawsuit against Apple over LTE would be like me suing you because you posted on a public forum. It just won't happen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Samsung needs to first wait for apple to start actually selling the phone and then attempt to sue them. The problem with samsung is that apple is going to try to state that they cannot sue to block them since they're covered by FRAND and they (apple) needs only to pay royalties and no more then other companies licensing the technology.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
That is great to hear! Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I always assumed that LTE was a standard so I was surprised when I heard Samsung was suing apple over it.

SomeGuy1974

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Hello All,

First before I write any further, I must say, I am neither an Apple fan nor a Samsung fan. They are both large corporations and not people, therefore I treat them both as business entities and nothing else.

However, I felt it necessary to comment on the posts in this forum...

You must realize that Samsung wants to sue Apple over LTE patents. As does HTC.

Samsung and HTC must both prove that Apple infringed on PROPRIETARY patents that Apples patents do not cover. Samsung and HTC will also have to prove significant financial losses based on the sale of the LTE enabled iPhone 5 device.

Rizzn

"Either I'm ignorant or the question is nonsensical.

How can Samsung have a monopoly on LTE? I don't think anyone can claim sole rights. "

Samsung does not have a monopoly on LTE nor are they even claiming that. They are claiming Apple infringed on their intellectual property. Which they have every legal right to do, just as Apple had the right to sue them for patent infringement over design patents for the iPhone device.

xAnthony

"Samsung winning in a lawsuit against Apple over LTE would be like me suing you because you posted on a public forum. It just won't happen."

Not true. Posting on this forum is covered under the right to free speech as dictated by the privacy policy and forum rules contained on this site and as moderated by the forum admins.

Suing over intellectual property is a whole other ball game. If Samsung or HTC or anyone holding valid NON FRAND / industry standard patents for LTE they have every legal right to do so. Just as Apple does. Stating that Samsung will not win is actually something no one can reliably predict except perhaps seasoned legal experts who are familiar with the details of the case.

Also, please keep this as you read this excerpt ...

Original Website: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/09/11/samsung-apple-lte-patent-iphone.html

..."Samsung's hopes are no doubt buoyed by the actions of Taiwanese device maker HTC, which has already won a similar court battle with monolithic Apple surrounding the use of LTE technology."...

as in...HTC won - meaning Apple infringed on their patents. Samsung and HTC actually invented their LTE technologies. Whereas Apple, in fact, obtained all their patents from sales through Nortel and there is no proof that Apple invented any LTE technology.

One thing I will say in closing is this...All these legal battles will mean one of two things...Innovation increases- benefit to consumers, Innovation will be stifled - bad for consumers. So please, in future, think about this...loyalty to a corporation ? Why? They don't even know you exist except as a small portion of their very large profits.

The attitude of being so enamored with a corporation only strengthens their hold over the consumer and drives up prices of their respective devices, whether it be Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Apple or any other company. The consumer never benefits from overly loyal fans.

Do you really think those phones we are paying so much for actually cost that much to manufacture? We are paying the legal fees for Samsung, Apple, ET all. This is exactly what they want guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.