PDA

View Full Version : Macbook air to LG TV

GotNoIdea
Sep 17, 2012, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone. I'd be really grateful for some help with this! I have been searching and searching for the answer and nothing seems either a) relevant to me or b) understandable! As my name says, I have no idea about this sort of thing, and I'm trying to help someone who knows even less.

I've got a MacBook Air 11 inch, and an LG TV (model number 32le4900). There's an HDMI port, card slot and USB in the back of the TV, and I've got the usual stuff on my MacBook.

What cable(s) do I need to be able to watch the tv I am streaming/videos/DVDs on my laptop through the television with sound (i.e. not from the laptop, going through the TV speakers).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have read so many articles and forums and heard advice that is all entirely different and I am now so confused. Thank you very much :)

tiwizard
Sep 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
Hi everyone. I'd be really grateful for some help with this! I have been searching and searching for the answer and nothing seems either a) relevant to me or b) understandable! As my name says, I have no idea about this sort of thing, and I'm trying to help someone who knows even less.

I've got a MacBook Air 11 inch, and an LG TV (model number 32le4900). There's an HDMI port, card slot and USB in the back of the TV, and I've got the usual stuff on my MacBook.

What cable(s) do I need to be able to watch the tv I am streaming/videos/DVDs on my laptop through the television with sound (i.e. not from the laptop, going through the TV speakers).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have read so many articles and forums and heard advice that is all entirely different and I am now so confused. Thank you very much :)

Just look for a Mini DP to HDMI adapter with sound support. You should be able to pick any one from the Apple Store up and it *should* have sound support (check the box) or you can get one (http://amzn.to/S3QQyY) on Amazon or some online retailer. Just check to make sure it has sound support.

You will also need an HDMI cable to go from the adapter to the TV. Any cable should work for the most part (ie. $5 cable (http://amzn.to/S3R0X8) from Amazon or similar, just don't bother with expensive Monster cables or anything...).

Mac OS X has built in support for display mirroring and display extension. It'll just work once you plug in the cable and adapter.

taipan61
Sep 17, 2012, 02:05 PM
apple tv and ML to stream video
i put my itunes library on an external drive to free up space and viola