PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 2012 OpenCL support in CS6?

KimHansenDK
Sep 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
I thought that the Intel HD 4000 did support OpenCL in Photoshop CS6. But the option seems greyed out on my 2012 MacBook Air (8GB ram). Does anyone know if the Intel HD 4000 supports or will support it?

I heard someone mentioning that it supported the Mecury Engine as well?

KimHansenDK
Sep 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
Anyone? :)

tiwizard
Sep 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
Anyone? :)

Technically the Intel HD 4000 supports OpenCL. I do not know if it supports Open CL on Mac OS X, however.

Also, the HD 4000 does support the Mercury Engine in Adobe CS6:
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

KimHansenDK
Sep 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
Technically the Intel HD 4000 supports OpenCL. I do not know if it supports Open CL on Mac OS X, however.

Also, the HD 4000 does support the Mercury Engine in Adobe CS6:
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

Is the Intel HD P4000 the as the 4000 without the P?

tiwizard
Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Is the Intel HD P4000 the as the 4000 without the P?

Now that you bring it up, from a quick search, no it isn't. But Adobe does list support for "Intel HD Graphics" (generically).

I can check for you if you want-- I have to reinstall the Adobe apps anyways. Give me about an hour to download and install everything...

KimHansenDK
Sep 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
Now that you bring it up, from a quick search, no it isn't. But Adobe does list support for "Intel HD Graphics" (generically).

I can check for you if you want-- I have to reinstall the Adobe apps anyways. Give me about an hour to download and install everything...

Well I have just installed CS6 on my Air, but the OpenCL is grey out in preferences.

Do you think that Photoshop and Illustrator will run fine on the Air (also larger files) together with the Thunderbolt Display for web/app/icon design?

And thanks :)

tiwizard
Sep 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Well I have just installed CS6 on my Air, but the OpenCL is grey out in preferences.

Do you think that Photoshop and Illustrator will run fine on the Air (also larger files) together with the Thunderbolt Display for web/app/icon design?

And thanks :)

Yep, it should work perfectly fine. Some of the window animations (minimizing, maximizing, etc) may be a *little* choppy, but it shouldn't really affect your daily use.

I regularly used PS+AI on my 2010 MBP (significantly less powerful in a lot of ways) and it drove an external display just fine. Same with a 2011 MBA, so the 2012 should be even better :)