PDA

View Full Version : First Mac and I Have a Few Questions

anonjd
Sep 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
Okay, so I just purchased my first Mac two days ago. I have been playing around with it but I have a few days off and Iíd like to really learn how to use it properly. Iíve been a Windows user since I was seven ó Iím 27 now ó and I learned how to use a Windows machine by trial and error. Sadly, I donít have that much free time anymore. I purchased a few books, like Mountain Lion for dummies and a bunch of ebooks that are specific to one area of the Mac, such as mail.

I just have a few questions, and Iíve searched online, but I canít seem to find the answer to these questions.

1. In Finder, Iíd like to have all the files arranged by type and then have it sorted by option (I figured out that you can do this if you hold the option key down) in list view. I then selected view show options and set the options up as I liked. However, I canít seem to be able to find a way to apply my preferences to all folders and subfolders to use these preferences.

Is there a way that I can setup how I want all my folders/files to be organized and what columns Iíd like to be visible?

2. Can I view how wide I want one of the

3. When you install an application, where are the system files for that application? On the PC youíd go to program files, is there such a place in the Mac?

4. When I go into Macintosh HD and then any of the subfolder on the top I can select it and move the columns (such as date modified) to fit as much of the screen as Iíd like. I can also click the columns and have it sort my name in ascending or descending order. But as soon as I go into my user folder, it doesnít allow me to modify any of the columns.

5. When I go into Macintosh HD > Library > Screensaver, I canít see any of the screensavers in the file. But, when I got to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Screensaver it shows all of my screensavers. Why is that and what is the main difference between going to library as opposed to going to system and then library?

Sorry for all these questions and thank you in advance. Iíd also really appreciate it if you guys could recommend any books or videos that I can purchase to help make this transition smoother.

stchman
Sep 17, 2012, 02:49 PM
Okay, so I just purchased my first Mac two days ago. I have been playing around with it but I have a few days off and Iíd like to really learn how to use it properly. Iíve been a Windows user since I was seven ó Iím 27 now ó and I learned how to use a Windows machine by trial and error. Sadly, I donít have that much free time anymore. I purchased a few books, like Mountain Lion for dummies and a bunch of ebooks that are specific to one area of the Mac, such as mail.

I just have a few questions, and Iíve searched online, but I canít seem to find the answer to these questions.

1. In Finder, Iíd like to have all the files arranged by type and then have it sorted by option (I figured out that you can do this if you hold the option key down) in list view. I then selected view show options and set the options up as I liked. However, I canít seem to be able to find a way to apply my preferences to all folders and subfolders to use these preferences.

Is there a way that I can setup how I want all my folders/files to be organized and what columns Iíd like to be visible?

2. Can I view how wide I want one of the

3. When you install an application, where are the system files for that application? On the PC youíd go to program files, is there such a place in the Mac?

4. When I go into Macintosh HD and then any of the subfolder on the top I can select it and move the columns (such as date modified) to fit as much of the screen as Iíd like. I can also click the columns and have it sort my name in ascending or descending order. But as soon as I go into my user folder, it doesnít allow me to modify any of the columns.

5. When I go into Macintosh HD > Library > Screensaver, I canít see any of the screensavers in the file. But, when I got to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Screensaver it shows all of my screensavers. Why is that and what is the main difference between going to library as opposed to going to system and then library?

Sorry for all these questions and thank you in advance. Iíd also really appreciate it if you guys could recommend any books or videos that I can purchase to help make this transition smoother.

1. Finder sucks, for some reason Apple user don't want to say it sucks, but it sucks. Windows Explorer is a FAR better file manager than Finder.

2. You can customize Finder on how it organizes the data, but Finder still sucks.

3. Application get installed to the Applications folder (you will find it in Finder). To delete the application, simply drag it to the Trash.

4. Can you post an example of what you are talking about?

5. The System --> Library is where all the system files get stored.

All in all, OS X would be a better experience if Finder didn't suck so bad.

Mrbobb
Sep 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
Am on the same boat, first OSX.

Two weeks into this thing and sometimes it still feels like 1985, with the first GUI. Am hugely surprised the OSX desktop is not polished as it should be 25 years later.

Every time I open the Finder, its window size is the same, even though I had resized last time it opened. What? Ur kidding me?

Now I love OSX's gestures. If I can make Windows7 gesture as well as OSX I may switch back. At first glance don't like Win8.

As Jobs once said, MS doesn't do well at first, then it keeps trying and trying and their (software) products do get better. Vista and now Win8 maybe exceptions.