Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Like many of us, as soon as I ordered my iPhone 5, I started looking for cases. My search began with cases that I had for my 4 and thought were quality products. While I will have a Griffin Survivor for when I'm in areas where I'd see the most likelihood of dropping it, or getting it dusty, I wanted a smaller everyday case and thought I'd take a look at the new version of the Casemate Toughcase since I liked the one I had for my iPhone 4.

Originally with the iPhone 4, I had an Otterbox Commuter. While the Commuter offered good protection from most drops and you could set it face down on a desk or table if you wanted without contacting the surface of the screen, I hated it for one reason, a little plastic lip at the top of the case that would grind into the side of my head and ear if I leaned on the case for any length of time while talking. I did a little research at the time and found the Casemate Toughcase to be almost a clone, but not quite. Both cases for the iPhone 4/4s had a rubber liner that surrounds the phone, with a hard plastic shell that goes on the outside of the liner. The only minor difference I found between the two was that the plastic shell on the Toughcase did not have the little ridge that dug into the side of my head like the Otterbox did.

I used the Casemate Toughcase as an everyday case for my iPhone 4 for a long time and loved it, as it seems to offer a pretty decent level of protection while not being a giant, bulky case like the Griffin Survivor and the Otterbox Defender.

After my preorder went through and I knew I was going to likely be replacing my 4 with a 5, I was pleased to see that the Toughcase would be available before launch, and utilized the code "Tough" to save 20% on the purchase. I just got the version of the case for my 5 today in the mail, opened it and was immediately disappointed. I don't have the 5 to try it out on yet obviously, but the version of the case for the 5 has 3 problems with it that may make me look elsewhere for an everyday case, or go naked altogether.

Problem 1: The stupid plastic ridge is there now, the one I was trying to avoid when I went away from the Commuter. While the rubber liner is less pliable than version for the 4, it still may slip and have the plastic ridge digging into the side of my head.

Problem 2: The rubber liner which used to cover all 4 sides, plus the back, now only is a rubbery bumper that only covers the sides of the phone, offering less protection than years past. The bumper then snaps into the hard plastic outer shell. I realize the 5 has an aluminum back, but losing this level of protection, while keeping the same price point just doesn't seem right.

Overall, this case looks like it is a cheaper version of the one for the 4/4s. It feels like a rubber bumper that you could get on ebay for a dollar that is snapped into a plastic shell that you could get for 2 dollars. As far as my complaint about the plastic ridge on the top, it may not be a problem at all because of the harder rubber lining than the previous model, but I won't know for sure until I have my hands on the new phone on Friday.

Included are pictures of the two cases next to each other, then each of them with the liner separated from the plastic shell, and finally one showing the bottom of both cases with the new port configuration cutouts. I was going to reduce the size of the pics, but figured people would like higher resolution shots so they can zoom in on any of the parts of the case if they want.

Attachments

• Casemate Toughcases 4 and 5 together.jpg
    Casemate Toughcases 4 and 5 together.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 639
  • Bottom of both cases together.jpg
    Bottom of both cases together.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 587
  • Casemate Toughcase 4 2 pieces.jpg
    Casemate Toughcase 4 2 pieces.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 463
  • Casemate Toughcase 5 2 pieces.jpg
    Casemate Toughcase 5 2 pieces.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 430

RaidersFan223

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
thanks for the review! was thinking about getting this one, but I'll probably go for the commuter.

sorry you dont like it

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I like the fact that this is thinner. Might get this for the wife.

Just went to their website and noticed that there will also be a Tough Xtreme. This is probably why this feels like a cheaper version compared to the last.

Last edited:

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I've used Casemate before and really liked it. I was hoping it would provide the same protection as their previous one. Was gonna purchase one for the hubby because he's using Casemate right now. Disappointed that the case is thinner and offering less protection because he tends to be a bit clumsy with his phone but he doesn't want Otterbox or anything too bulky. Might still purchase to try out though. Thanks for the review.

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
I have a Casemate Tough Case on the way to me in the mail. Should hopefully arrive before my iP5 on Friday. Unless I find another case I like in the Apple Store down the street, I'm either going to try out the Tough Case or go with the Spigen Crumena leather pouch that is also on the way to me.

If the Tough Case doesn't impress me, I'm tempted to leave the phone naked during use and then slip it into the Spigen Crumena while it's in my pocket.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
I will probably use this case anyhow, at least till I find a better everyday one. I may get the Commuter too, and see if I like it better than the Toughcase this go around. This version of the Toughcase just seems half-assed, would be ok for a 10-15 dollar case but not worth the $40 retail price by any stretch. At least with the promo discount I used, it was only $32.

Oh I forgot to add, I was going to take these pics with my iPhone 4, but got annoyed at the extra steps involved to post them on here, so I used my 12mp Sony Cybershot point and shoot camera that I haven't used in over a year and a half, only to remember that you have to get the cord, pull the shots off the camera, use a PC to do so, then post them.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
Casemate must having insider information to be able making case so fast. This very risky because they saying in China Apple looking for those companies to stoping this big problem

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
How much bulk does this case add? I ordered one but it won't be here 'til Monday.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
How much bulk does this case add? I ordered one but it won't be here 'til Monday.
Doesn't look like it adds much, but I won't know for sure until I get the phone tomorrow. I will update this thread with pics of the phone in the case when I get the phone.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
That's good to know, the one thing I dislike about OtterBox cases is they double the size of the phone.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I also have this case in hand. I am actually pretty impressed. It seems to have a GREAT grip material on the outside, and also some shock impact with the rubber inner bumper. I'm really not sure what the OP was talking about with the ridge he listed as a problem? It seems like this is a great compromise of a case for people that want some protection but don't want much bulk. I'm a little worried that they somehow mailed them out to those people who got the order in early, but now it says shipping on the 21st? Anybody else notice this? I would maybe say it sold out but this is the case for ALL colors available and I'd be very surprised if they managed to sell-out all the colors? Any thoughts on this?

Also for people complaining about price, there's nothing wrong with the price COMPARED to what everything else is priced at. With the discount $32 is more than OK. Look at all the cases from Incase, Belkin, etc... no worse than any of those companies. A piece of plastic obviously should not cost that much, but this is the pricepoint that they come in from the reputable companies.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Had the phone for a couple of days now, the second I got it, I put the Toughcase on it. It feels solid, but not like it offers much if any drop protection. The case fits snug, and adds very minimal size to the phone, so will be a great option for a lot of people, will be the option I use for awhile, but I'll probably grab an Otterbox Commuter if I find one for a good deal locally or on Amazon or something. Attached are pics of the case on my phone, one of the front of the phone, and one of the bottom of it. See if you can spot the nod to my childhood in the background of one of them ;)

Attachments

• Casemate Toughcase 5 installed bottom.jpg
    Casemate Toughcase 5 installed bottom.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 407
  • Casemate Toughcase 5 installed face.jpg
    Casemate Toughcase 5 installed face.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 287
Last edited:

C-Dub

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Had the phone for a couple of days now, the second I got it, I put the Toughcase on it. It feels solid, but not like it offers much if any drop protection. The case fits snug, and adds very minimal size to the phone, so will be a great option for a lot of people, will be the option I use for awhile, but I'll probably grab an Otterbox Commuter if I find one for a good deal locally or on Amazon or something. Attached are pics of the case on my phone, one of the front of the phone, and one of the bottom of it. See if you can spot the nod to my childhood in the background of one of them ;)

the case looks like it's blocking 85% of the speaker/sound output

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
the case looks like it's blocking 85% of the speaker/sound output

If it is, I'm not noticing. It's loud and clear regardless of the audio source. I'm just a bit perturbed at the changes they made from model year to model year. This case is a shadow of the 4/4s version as far as protection and build quality go. I would gladly trade straight across for an Otterbox Commuter which I will probably end up buying anyway since nobody I know has a 5 or is planning on getting one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.