Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I know its 720P HD Video, but how about the megapixels is the iSight camera for the 2012 Macbook Air if taking snapshots? Thanks a bunch.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I know its 720P HD Video, but how about the megapixels is the iSight camera for the 2012 Macbook Air if taking snapshots? Thanks a bunch.

It takes pictures 1080 by 720 in Photobooth (0.8 megapixels). It isn't a higher resolution camera than that-- that's just the maximum, unlike the iPhone's back camera. That is more of a limit in processing power though (which is why it can't take 4k video)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
It takes pictures 1080 by 720 in Photobooth (0.8 megapixels). It isn't a higher resolution camera than that-- that's just the maximum, unlike the iPhone's back camera. That is more of a limit in processing power though (which is why it can't take 4k video)

Unless this has been changed since last year, Photo Booth can only take pictures at 640x480.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/13

It can however go up to 1280x720 for videos so I'm guessing it's just a software limitation with Photo Booth, not hardware, possibly because still pictures would look too crappy otherwise. That's what they did with the 5th gen Nano if I remember correctly.

See my post.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Why do you care?

I wouldnt have asked if I didn't care!?

----------

What kind of response is that? The OP has a valid question.

Its the kind of response that was intended to find out why the OP needed to know and to help answer his question by putting something in to context.

For instance if the OP is trying to decide on quality of the picture/video it might help to understand more around the optics and software rather than just the pixel count as the former two factors have a far greater effect on image quality than the latter. People often get far too hung up on pixel count thnking there is a direct correlation to image quality.

Apologies for trying to help though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.