PDA

View Full Version : iBook trackpad makes my fingers feel weird

Voidness
Aug 17, 2005, 09:26 PM
Hello everyone

I've been using my new iBook 12" for a week now. Everything's been smooth and perfect. But in the last 2 days, after using the trackpad for a while (around half an hour or so), my fingers start feeling strange, like a don't feel the tip of my fingers anymore, feels too smooth. I don't know how to explain it, it could be just me.

I haven't experienced anything similar when using trackpads on normal PCs. Could it be the Apple trackpad technology? I've heard issues before with the Powerbooks trackpads.

Edit: I'm getting pretty sure there's something wrong, it's getting very annoying right now I can't even use the trackpad :(...

terriyaki
Aug 17, 2005, 09:46 PM
iBook and Powerbook trackpads are laced with cocaine. Thats why Apple users have such an awesome experience when using* them.

:D

mjstew33
Aug 17, 2005, 10:06 PM
iBook and Powerbook trackpads are laced with cocaine. Thats why Apple users have such an awesome experience when using* them.

So that's why!!

on a serious note, i don't know I've had this iBook for a while now and it's perfect, haven't had any problems w/ the trackpad.

Hope that helps. :)

Voidness
Aug 17, 2005, 10:07 PM

Really? That explains the "weird" feeling :D

Now, seriously, is there anything wrong with the trackpads?

Voidness
Aug 17, 2005, 10:12 PM
So that's why!!

on a serious note, i don't know I've had this iBook for a while now and it's perfect, haven't had any problems w/ the trackpad.

Hope that helps. :)
Do you use the trackpad a lot? From what I can see, you have the Apple Bluetooth mouse (sweet :D). I use it as my main pointing device, until I find a good multi-button bluetooth mouse for a good price.

mad jew
Aug 18, 2005, 03:00 AM
That's weird. I've never had any trouble with my track pad.

Do you think it could be an ergonomics thing. Are you sitting differently using the iBook compared to the PC laptops you were used to. Is the track pad in a relatively different area compared to where the PC track pads were? Not with respect to the laptop so much as with respect to where you're actually sitting.

Voidness
Aug 18, 2005, 08:48 AM
That's weird. I've never had any trouble with my track pad.

Do you think it could be an ergonomics thing. Are you sitting differently using the iBook compared to the PC laptops you were used to. Is the track pad in a relatively different area compared to where the PC track pads were? Not with respect to the laptop so much as with respect to where you're actually sitting.
Well, the only thing different about the iBook's track pad and other notebooks' trackpads i've used is that it's noticeably larger, aside from the two finger scrolling feature. I don't think this would cause such a problem.

mad jew
Aug 18, 2005, 08:54 AM
Weird. Since reading this thread I've started to notice the same sort of effects. I've always put it down to general track pad use since I've never used a PC track pad for extended periods (thankfully :p ). It's not unbearable though.

I get sort of a powdery feeling on my finger tip. Maybe cleaning the track pad with Windex sprayed onto a cloth would help. But shut the iBook down first. It could be some sort of residue...

Voidness
Aug 18, 2005, 09:04 AM
I get sort of a powdery feeling on my finger tip. Maybe cleaning the track pad with Windex sprayed onto a cloth would help. But shut the iBook down first. It could be some sort of residue...
I cleaned it a few days ago using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. But the problem started before using Mr. Clean.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 18, 2005, 09:14 AM
It's probably just a side effect of rubbing your finger on the trackpad for an extended period of time - I get the same feeling when I use any trackpad.

Voidness
Aug 18, 2005, 04:01 PM
It's probably just a side effect of rubbing your finger on the trackpad for an extended period of time - I get the same feeling when I use any trackpad.
Could be so. But I don't get the same feeling when using any other notebook.

mkrishnan
Aug 18, 2005, 04:26 PM
Could be so. But I don't get the same feeling when using any other notebook.

Aren't a lot of trackpads on Windows notebooks textured, or am I crazy? I seem to remember the last one I tried was. Plus, it had no mouse acceleration. It was driving me insane (not my computer, so I didn't change it).

Anyway, I get a funny sensation due to rubbing my finger tip against the smooth surface too, after some time.

I guess I would recommend getting a damp cloth and cleaning it, just to rule stuff out. But it needs to be dry before you use it again -- otherwise it will behave strangely.

The only way I could see the trackpad actually harming your finger is if somehow the conductive layer bled through... but the capacitance mechanism is passive, as far as I know. I have a really hard time imagining this happening.

So that aside, I would just guess you're a lot more sensitive to the sensation than everyone else....how hard are you pressing your finger down on the trackpad? You know you don't need to apply really any pressure to move the pointer, right?

Voidness
Aug 18, 2005, 09:16 PM
So that aside, I would just guess you're a lot more sensitive to the sensation than everyone else....how hard are you pressing your finger down on the trackpad? You know you don't need to apply really any pressure to move the pointer, right?
I touch it very lightly, almost no pressure at all. It moves and behaves very well, one of the best I've used. But now I get scared of using it, my fingers feel very weird when using it just after a few minutes. :confused: I just clean it now, but it doesn't feel anything different.

mkrishnan
Aug 18, 2005, 09:24 PM
I touch it very lightly, almost no pressure at all. It moves and behaves very well, one of the best I've used. But now I get scared of using it, my fingers feel very weird when using it just after a few minutes. :confused: I just clean it now, but it doesn't feel anything different.

Is it possible for you to have a friend try it to see if there's something strange to them too?

Voidness
Aug 18, 2005, 09:29 PM
Is it possible for you to have a friend try it to see if there's something strange to them too?
Silly me :p, never had that in mind... I'll check tomorrow.