PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels... I Need Some Advice

SamIchi
Aug 17, 2005, 11:34 PM
OK, here's the deal, in my backyard there are 3 asian pear trees and squirrels always get at them. They climb up and nibble, knock them (the pears) down, and so forth. I don't really care, but my parents do. They told me to look online, to find a way to prevent this. So my first thought wold be to ask you guys. So what you think?

For the longerst time, they've tried to figure out how to keep squirrels away from the tree. So any advice would be good, thanks!

CanadaRAM
Aug 17, 2005, 11:41 PM
OK, here's the deal, in my backyard there are 3 asian pear trees and squirrels always get at them. They climb up and nibble, knock them (the pears) down, and so forth. I don't really care, but my parents do. They told me to look online, to find a way to prevent this. So my first thought wold be to ask you guys. So what you think?

For the longerst time, they've tried to figure out how to keep squirrels away from the tree. So any advice would be good, thanks!
Good in a stew...

Sun Baked
Aug 17, 2005, 11:46 PM
Good in a stew...That's a much better idea than leaving a bunch of smoking squirrel corpses scattered around the yard.

Otherwise that may leave you with using a plastic owl to chase them away.

xsedrinam
Aug 17, 2005, 11:48 PM
Good in a stew...

Yup, that sounds like a plan:cool: And I doubt putting up a sign "No Squirrels in Trees" would work. There are things designed to keep them away from bird feed(ers), but somehow they feel right at home in a tree.
X

EJBasile
Aug 17, 2005, 11:57 PM
1. Take a shot gun to them
2. Get a dog

goodtimes5
Aug 17, 2005, 11:59 PM
Blue screen of death flyers pasted all around.

Leareth
Aug 18, 2005, 12:09 AM
barbed or razor wire wrapped for two feet on the trunk of each tree will teach those pesky little bastards off the trees. :rolleyes:
well if they are dead they wont cause trouble now will they??? :D
or if you preffer the humane way
two foot lenght of tree sap painted on and around the tree trunks will prevent them from climbing up to the pears

;)

Cloud9
Aug 18, 2005, 12:10 AM
Have you ever gone for a walk in your neighborhood and noticed wide metal bands encircling a portion of the tree a about 4 feet off the ground. They are usually constructed of sheet metal . The critters cant climb up them, there claws have nothing to hold onto. Its the same Idea behind complete metal design of restaurant kitchens. Atleast it helps at my restaurant were there are mice.

Get some sheet metal of good width in the vertical direction and wrap them around the tree, leaving as tight a seam as possible. It wont be very aesthetic but it should solve the problem. make sure its wide enought so they cant jump past it and located in a place so that they cant jump to a nearby branch. Keep in mind they can go from tree to tree so any close tree will also have to be treated in similar fashion.

Hope ot helps

javabear90
Aug 18, 2005, 12:14 AM
we always just put out some bait (birdseed, dried corn etc...) and then opened fire with a highpowered pelet gun. You have to do that every year or so.

Gwendolyn
Aug 18, 2005, 12:19 AM
Some friends of mine have had some problems with squirrels. They bought these little tiny cloth bags of cat dander and other scents that are supposedly unpleasant for squirrels, and hung them up in their trees. I'm not sure how effective it was (short- or long-term), but there is such a product out there. I wish I could speak to its effectiveness, but I've never tried the product, and my friends live out-of-state. From what I remember, I think they considered it to be moderately effective, at least in the short term... I seem to remember they wanted to buy more of the bags. To be honest, I have my doubts that it would be effective in the long-term, since scent-based solutions to animal problems often lose their effectiveness with time and age. Also, I'm a bit confused about the product because sometimes cats and squirrels will climb up the same tree, but perhaps some of the other scents in it are more discouraging. So I figured I'd mention that it exists, in case it helps.

My mom has also tried Pet-Away spray and crystals to deter a cat from using a particular spot in her yard as a litterbox. She found that the spray faded pretty quickly (about 3 days), but that the crystals worked somewhat better. I advised her to pile up rocks in the "litterbox" spot to make it a less pleasant spot for the cat to use, and that seems to have worked. (I realize the rocks won't work for your squirrels, but I figured it was worth mentioning that if you wanted to try this Pet-Away, you might have to reapply it.) They haven't had problems with squirrels yet at their house, but I guess if they do, now I know where to find some advice! The nice thing about living in an apartment is that I don't have to worry about these things myself.

CanadaRAM
Aug 18, 2005, 12:30 AM
Get some sheet metal of good width in the vertical direction and wrap them around the tree, leaving as tight a seam as possible. It wont be very aesthetic but it should solve the problem. make sure its wide enought so they cant jump past it and located in a place so that they cant jump to a nearby branch. Keep in mind they can go from tree to tree so any close tree will also have to be treated in similar fashion.
The squirrels aroud here just boogie along the telephone wires and drop into the nearby trees - have to consider all avenues of access.

SamIchi
Aug 18, 2005, 12:35 AM
Have you ever gone for a walk in your neighborhood and noticed wide metal bands encircling a portion of the tree a about 4 feet off the ground. They are usually constructed of sheet metal . The critters cant climb up them, there claws have nothing to hold onto. Its the same Idea behind complete metal design of restaurant kitchens. Atleast it helps at my restaurant were there are mice.

Hope ot helps

Hmm, Thanks for the suggestion (and others who suggested similarly), but
two of the trees are really big and are next to electrical wires, poles, other big trees (not in out yard)... so yea we can't really use a barrier. :(

barneygumble
Aug 18, 2005, 12:37 AM
I hear they are good eith BBQ sauce and some home brew :cool:

SamIchi
Aug 18, 2005, 12:37 AM
The squirrels aroud here just boogie along the telephone wires and drop into the nearby trees - have to consider all avenues of access.

Hah, I didn't even read your post, but yea, my point exactly.

faintember
Aug 18, 2005, 12:41 AM
Btw, the metal sheet wrapped around the tree doesn't work well. As someone else posted they can jump from another tree, but if not, i have seen squirrels jump up and over the area protected by the metal sheet.

I have always used moth balls (yes, moth balls), and it seems to keep them away. A pellet rifle or the like works well also.

my 2

SamIchi
Aug 18, 2005, 12:45 AM
Btw, the metal sheet wrapped around the tree doesn't work well. As someone else posted they can jump from another tree, but if not, i have seen squirrels jump up and over the area protected by the metal sheet.

I have always used moth balls (yes, moth balls), and it seems to keep them away. A pellet rifle or the like works well also.

my 2

We got moth balls hanging around... They don't seem to be working. They are just hanging at the base of the tree though, and these trees are pretty big. My dad always says that he's gunna get a pellet gun, but I don't think he's gunna do it. It'd be hard shootin' them down. There's alot things we wouldn't want to hit.

3badjacksfan
Aug 18, 2005, 12:53 AM
We got moth balls hanging around... They don't seem to be working. They are just hanging at the base of the tree though, and these trees are pretty big. My dad always says that he's gunna get a pellet gun, but I don't think he's gunna do it. It'd be hard shootin' them down. There's alot things we wouldn't want to hit.

I think you misunderstood what the moth balls are for...
You don't hang them in the tree,
you load it into a pellet gun, and, um, you know...

:eek:
Oh come on! I'm kidding!!!!

RandomDeadHead
Aug 18, 2005, 01:09 AM
I say leave them be. Their ancestors were here before yours so, in my opinion, they have more of a right to them than you.

Squirrels get their food from trees and such.
Your family can get food at any grocery store.

If it bothers your folks so much, then they should increase their yield. IE plant more trees.

Every commercial grower knows that deer and skunks love the taste of young pot plants. But they also know that those animals have more right to it than themselves, and plant more to compinsate.

Or, you could go the good christian/republican route and just burn the whole tree so no one gets any fruit.

But what the hell do I know, I'm just a tree hugging hippie.
Quick everybody flog the bleeding heart liberal.

faintember
Aug 18, 2005, 01:17 AM
Well you just scatter them around the bottom of the tree. Many animals/insects dont like the smell of the moth balls.

neildmitchell
Aug 18, 2005, 01:36 AM
Squirles LOVE black oil sunflower seeds, go to your local pet store and get the biggest bag you can find and put a big pile everyday for them to eat.
Also whatever you can find, like peanuts or something thats high in fat, thats bulk and cheap. Squirles would rather have fatty nuts and seeds then Pears.

Feeding the naught but loveable buggers is usually the only way to live with them

xsedrinam
Aug 18, 2005, 01:57 AM
Squirles LOVE black oil sunflower seeds, go to your local pet store and get the biggest bag you can find and put a big pile everyday for them to eat.
Also whatever you can find, like peanuts or something thats high in fat, thats bulk and cheap. Squirles would rather have fatty nuts and seeds then Pears.

Feeding the naught but loveable buggers is usually the only way to live with them
Now there's the "win-win" conflict resolution post of the thread. I'd like to know the results of that experiment, if you decide to try it.
X

MacRy
Aug 18, 2005, 11:12 AM
I say leave them be. Squirrels are cute. We have one in our garden most mornings and it's lovely to watch his twitchy little tail and furry little face :)

gwuMACaddict
Aug 18, 2005, 11:21 AM
a .22 rifle would do the trick. lots of farmers have problems with sqirrels, groundhogs, etc.

Hemingray
Aug 18, 2005, 11:41 AM
Cut down the trees.

CorvusCamenarum
Aug 18, 2005, 11:54 AM
I vote for a pellet gun and a cat who likes to hunt. The cat might even be more effective. Rare is the week that I don't open the front door to find all or part of a squirrel corpse that my cat left for me as a gift.

rogerw
Aug 18, 2005, 01:01 PM
squirrels, rats with good PR

a shotgun is the solution

yellow
Aug 18, 2005, 01:31 PM
Cut the lowest branches off so they're at least 6' off the ground, squirrels can supposedly jump 4.5 feet. Get bird feeder baffles and put them around the base of the tree about 5' up and that should be about as high as they can climb. If there are trees surrounding the pear trees that the squirrels can leap FROM to the pear trees, well you're screwed. It's either chopping them down, or killing the squirrels.

PickledSquirrel
Aug 18, 2005, 02:31 PM
Pickle them:D

-Squirrel

Lyle
Aug 18, 2005, 02:39 PM
I vote for a pellet gun and a cat who likes to hunt. The cat might even be more effective. Rare is the week that I don't open the front door to find all or part of a squirrel corpse that my cat left for me as a gift.Good advice. We live in the city now, but when we were living out in the county our cat conducted a reign of terror against, you know, basically any animals smaller than he was. Not so many squirrels, but plenty of birds and field mice.

revisionA
Aug 18, 2005, 03:28 PM
How about a taser?

Or a laser pointer, just blind them and watch them commit suicide as they jump to trees that arent there...

Plant a remote c4 charge in the tree and detonate on sight!

If you dont like guns, crossbows are fun!

Maybe if you catch one and crucify it at the base of the tree, the rest will learn!

-- Dont mind me, I just love torturing things, comes from a customer service background with a dash of IT.

xsedrinam
Aug 18, 2005, 03:47 PM
How about a taser?

Or a laser pointer, just blind them and watch them commit suicide as they jump to trees that arent there...

Plant a remote c4 charge in the tree and detonate on sight!

If you dont like guns, crossbows are fun!

Maybe if you catch one and crucify it at the base of the tree, the rest will learn!

-- Dont mind me, I just love torturing things, comes from a customer service background with a dash of IT.
You and the Red Dragon, apparently. ;) I'm still voting for the feeding/change of appetite option.
X

revisionA
Aug 18, 2005, 03:53 PM
Trailmix with a dash of alka seltzer...

pop goes the Tree-sel!

$

mactastic
Aug 19, 2005, 01:21 PM
A .22 if you are in a more rural setting, and a nice air rifle if you're in the 'burbs. As mentioned, put some bait out to bring them to the ground so you aren't shooting into the tree and having the projectile travel to places unknown if you miss.

Of course if you don't have either of those handy and don't feel like spending the money (well in excess of $100) you can try some of the spray-on pest control or I hear can wrap the trunk with aluminum.

Squirrels are difficult animals to control, particularly since their native habitat involves trees.

joepunk
Aug 19, 2005, 09:52 PM
I vote for a pellet gun and a cat who likes to hunt. The cat might even be more effective. Rare is the week that I don't open the front door to find all or part of a squirrel corpse that my cat left for me as a gift.

We used to find full, complete birds and mice that my mother's cats used to bring in after an evening of hunting. The cats would leave them either under tables or under cabinets. I can also remember one time, not to long ago that I was cleaning out a cadet heater in the computer room and found a mummified mouse. I put it into a plastic baggy and kept it for a few hours to show my mother.

Counterfit
Aug 20, 2005, 10:09 AM
Those of you with cats that drag stuff inside, might want to look at Flo Control (http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Control/flo_control.htm).

As for the squirrels, assuming they're grey squirrels, bait them into the street and play Carmageddon 3 :D Or, just dump some (preferably used) kitty litter around the base. That kept groundhogs and such out of what used to be our garden.

GimmeSlack12
Aug 20, 2005, 11:14 AM
We had a problem like this before, it was with ground squirrels tearing up our yard (digging holes and multiplying). Depending on how close your neighbors are get a BB gun and get good at aiming that sucker. It will kill the squirrels, there is no "just scare them away". Use the lead pointed tip BB's too. You will have to exterminate them to get them to go away.

SamIchi
Aug 20, 2005, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know if those sound devices work? My brother just bought one the "repels" insects and critters. I'm skeptical about these things, but there was a gaurentee on it so I guess he could send it back anytime.

skunk
Aug 20, 2005, 02:19 PM
Arm the birds. As the birds stand up, you can stand down.

yadmonkey
Aug 20, 2005, 02:39 PM
If you live in the U.S., particularly the midwest, there's something you should take into consideration... squirrels in the U.S. cary the black plague, as in the black death, as in the thing that killed off half of europe. It may reach epidemic proportions in the next few years. That's a good reason not to encourage your pets to much on squirrels and not to kill them and leave them to rot.

Inspector Lee
Aug 20, 2005, 02:54 PM
I think those fake owls can do the trick but it depends on the craftiness of the squirrels. A friend of mine put one out in his yard to keep the squirrels at bay and he came home and the owl had been knocked down and had its eyes torn out.

3badjacksfan
Aug 20, 2005, 03:37 PM
I think those fake owls can do the trick but it depends on the craftiness of the squirrels. A friend of mine put one out in his yard to keep the squirrels at bay and he came home and the owl had been knocked down and had its eyes torn out.

I've also seen where the squirrels chewed the plastic owls. I don't know why.

One winter, they even decided the christmas lights strung in the trees were a food source, and they ate the wire, plastic sockets, and bulbs. And I mean THEY ATE THEM! There was less than 50% of our strung lights remaining when we went to remove them. No dead squirrels either.

The following year, christmas lights were not "the delectable morsel of choice" and the lights were untouched.

Strange little buggers.

PS: as far as shotguns go, is the object to rid yourselves of squirrels at all costs, or do you have to spare the fruit? Because I'm thinking that aiming at squirrels in the tree is gonna take out a lot of fruit too.

3badjacksfan
Aug 20, 2005, 03:44 PM
Our, tell your parents to make the best of it...
encourage the squirrels to come eat the pears...
then, (somehow, up to you), make artist brushes out out their fur.

You could make a fortune!

BTW, I used to have a squirrel in my yard that I could call.
The further away it was, and the further it had to travel to come to me,
got it a better reward. Usually it was a cracker with loads of natural peanut butter. It would come take it right out of my hand. (Once, it had traveled so far, that it worked itself into a frenzy, cuz when she got close, her mouth was all "foamy." == ok, no she wasn't! I'm kidding!) :D

CorvusCamenarum
Aug 20, 2005, 04:07 PM
We used to find full, complete birds and mice that my mother's cats used to bring in after an evening of hunting. The cats would leave them either under tables or under cabinets. I can also remember one time, not to long ago that I was cleaning out a cadet heater in the computer room and found a mummified mouse. I put it into a plastic baggy and kept it for a few hours to show my mother.

He's only brought something into the house once, and that was a chipmunk. I didn't realize it until he went into the kitchen and dropped it with a look of complete and utter pride (See? I brought it in here this time so you could put it on that hot thing up there <stove> and cook it like you do the other food! And it's fresh!). Thing was, it wasn't dead yet. Had to spend ten minutes with a broom and dustpan getting it out the backdoor.

Poeben
Aug 20, 2005, 04:20 PM
Every commercial grower knows that deer and skunks love the taste of young pot plants.

Mmmm, baby pot plants! Can't wait until they grow up. :p

Seriously though, I am surprised no one has mentioned trapping them. For about $30 you can get a humane trap. Trap 'em up and drive them about 10-15 miles away. They are easy to trap, oats and peanut butter makes a good bait. If you are not into the humane thing toss the full trap in a bucket of water for a few minutes. I, however, would suggest the humane approach.

StealthRider
Aug 20, 2005, 04:34 PM
These work quite well...

Counterfit
Aug 23, 2005, 02:49 PM
BTW, I used to have a squirrel in my yard that I could call.
The further away it was, and the further it had to travel to come to me,
got it a better reward. Usually it was a cracker with loads of natural peanut butter. It would come take it right out of my hand. (Once, it had traveled so far, that it worked itself into a frenzy, cuz when she got close, her mouth was all "foamy." == ok, no she wasn't! I'm kidding!) :D
A friend of mine back at school in Boston had a suite mate (OMG NFW! :EEK: ) This suite mate was walking down the sidewalk, when a baby gray squirrel fell out of a tree and landed on its head. He took said squirrel, and it lived in their suite (and left its **** everyone) for a while. It would climb up the outside of his pants and go to sleep in his pocket.