Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lomby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Australia
Hi guys!

this might seem like a REALLY stupid question. I'm in Australia, currently 9:35pm Tuesday night (18th Sept) AEST. does that mean iOS 6 gets released tomorrow or thursday, since we technically get the iPhone 5 friday (we are the first)?

I feel like a real idiot for asking this, but hopefully you guys can shed some light, for those that get angry over this, i'm actually sorry.

But thanks in advance :)

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
iOS 6 will be released sometime during the day on Wednesday September 19 according to Pacific Standard Time (that is, California, where Apple's HQ is located). I'm not sure which time zone you're located in within Australia or the specific time of day iOS 6 will become avaliable, but you can probably simply calculate the delay between PST and your time zone for yourself. (I hope this all isn't too confusing)

DArsenault

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Boston, MA
Pretty sure it comes out around 10:00 AM PST (I don't know for sure, but I think this is what it was for iOS 5 at least) so it will be available to you at the same time. The iPhone 5 is different, because that is available whenever your local stores open, usually 8:00 am local time. So the phone you will get first, just like the East Coast would get it 3 hours before the West Coast etc. But the iOS update is more like preorder time, it's live around the world at the same time.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
id wait till 20th... u know with the crazily heavy server downloads n all. i rem when upgrading to ios5, as soon as it was released... i had an error or 2 n someone adviced it was due to heavy server load n i should try again the next day. i did that and it actually downloaded faster and i didnt face any error.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
iOS 6 will be released sometime during the day on Wednesday September 19 according to Pacific Standard Time (that is, California, where Apple's HQ is located). I'm not sure which time zone you're located in within Australia or the specific time of day iOS 6 will become avaliable, but you can probably simply calculate the delay between PST and your time zone for yourself. (I hope this all isn't too confusing)

Pretty sure it comes out around 10:00 AM PST (I don't know for sure, but I think this is what it was for iOS 5 at least) so it will be available to you at the same time. The iPhone 5 is different, because that is available whenever your local stores open, usually 8:00 am local time. So the phone you will get first, just like the East Coast would get it 3 hours before the West Coast etc. But the iOS update is more like preorder time, it's live around the world at the same time.

California is actually on PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) right now.

PST = UTC - 8:00
PDT = UTC - 7:00 (Daylight Saving Time)

808geek

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
California
I remember doing the upgrade to the iOS 5 last year and it downloaded okay and in the middle of upgrading it gave me an error message and bricked my phone. I had to do a restore. I ended up waiting until late that evening and it finally worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.