PDA

View Full Version : Sending SMS Messages in Messages

jwolf6589
Sep 18, 2012, 07:25 AM
Did apple take out the feature to send a text message to a non iOS device? I could do it easily in iChat.

bushido
Sep 18, 2012, 09:14 AM
i doubt u were ever able to send a text message, its a standalone service from your phone provider. apple has nothing to do with it. did u use the AIM service before maybe?

jwolf6589
Sep 19, 2012, 04:55 AM
i doubt u were ever able to send a text message, its a standalone service from your phone provider. apple has nothing to do with it. did u use the AIM service before maybe?

I FINALLY got it working but its more of a pain to get working and more complex in Mountain Lion over Snow Leopard. Yes one needs an AIM account, but in iChat on SL sending a SMS message was far simpler.

bripab007
Sep 19, 2012, 08:04 AM
AIM provides a service that allows sending instant messages to SMS; it has nothing to do with Mac OS other than setting up an AIM account, which may or may not be different in Messages vs. iChat.

Calion
Jan 27, 2013, 10:55 PM
You could send a text message to any SMS-capable phone (or perhaps just phones from some carriers, but I never had a problem with it) in iChat by typing +1-555-555-5555 into a new message window. It worked great. This no longer seems to work with Messages. What's the solution?

----------

Ah. The solution is that you have to have an AIM account enabled in Messages for this to work. Duh.

kumquat
May 7, 2013, 05:57 AM
I have AIM enabled and online and I am still unable to send an SMS to a non-iOS cell phone. What am I missing?