PDA

View Full Version : 2010 11" MBA with Stuck Keys

techiegirl
Sep 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
I have a 2 year old 11" Macbook Air and it looks like the option key is stuck. The computer is still sort of usable with a bluetooth keyboard. Apple wants $200 to fix it (replace keyboard and cover around it).

How much useful life is there left on a 2010 MBA and is it worth the $200 to repair the computer? The alternative would be to sell it at a deep discount and buy a new one.

cedwhatev
Sep 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
If you're planning on keeping it, then yes, 200.00 would be worth it.. better than buying a new one. As long as everything else works, properly, then I see no reason as to why you couldn't just go ahead and get it fixed. But are both option keys stuck? If one still works, then you have no need to get it fixed, as it's probably one of the least used keys on a Mac keyboard (when it comes to me it is, anyhow..) If you're worried about resale value.. here's some food for thought..

I sold my 2010 Air a few months ago, it had no warranty on it, the trackpad click barely worked, and the feet on the bottom were damaged from a fall, and I still sold it for 750.00. Chances are you will still get a pretty decent price for it once you sell it..

techiegirl
Sep 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
The option key is stuck down which makes the keyboard useless. Every time I touch any other key, symbols come up instead of the letter I meant to type. I decided to sell the computer and get a new one down the line.