Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
So I am trying to decide which case to get for my iPhone 5 (and I really want to have it before the phone so that I can be prepared :). I have been reading so many reviews, looking at so many cases, etc. But what are your opinions on either of these?

I am really worried about having it too bulky as I know a lot of the Otterboxes are but then I really want it protected because I have been known to drop my phone.

I also saw the More phone covers: http://www.more-thing.com/en/iphone/iphone-5.html and I do like all their colors.

Any ideas? I also thought about getting a Ghost Armor cover over the screen and then a rubber case around it.

Thanks!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
You don't exactly need otterbox for protection against common drops. I'm sure there are tons of other cases that aren't bulky, but will still protect against drops. I'll give that site a look now, for you and for my own use. :p

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Otterbox is great for keeping sand off your phone cause all it takes is one grain of it to scratch your new phone and I am willing to give lifeproof a chance but they are saying Xmas time for the Iphone 5 case

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Otterbox is great for keeping sand off your phone cause all it takes is one grain of it to scratch your new phone and I am willing to give lifeproof a chance but they are saying Xmas time for the Iphone 5 case

He has a good point. Be very wary of whatever case you get. You don't want the case to be the one that scratches your device! Whether it be the case itself or dirt that got stuck in there because of the case.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
He has a good point. Be very wary of whatever case you get. You don't want the case to be the one that scratches your device! Whether it be the case itself or dirt that got stuck in there because of the case.

I know that is what I worry about the most!! So I was even thinking going the Ghost Armor route where they put the clear all around the phone and then you can still use most (but not all) cases on top of that.

I have always heard the example about if you have a hard plastic case things that get inside it can scratch more than if you had a rubber case (using the analogy of putting plastic on a bowling ball- when you drop it it will break but if you put rubber on a bowling ball it will not break).

Why does it have to be such a hard decision? :)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
You might want to wait until some cases have been reviewed or you can see them in person. The one I have for my current iPhone 4 is really nice. It's just made by Griffin, but it has rubber all along the side then has a clear, hard plastic backing. The way the iPhone 5 was designed, I see dust and other foreign particles getting through the case less.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
You might want to wait until some cases have been reviewed or you can see them in person. The one I have for my current iPhone 4 is really nice. It's just made by Griffin, but it has rubber all along the side then has a clear, hard plastic backing. The way the iPhone 5 was designed, I see dust and other foreign particles getting through the case less.

yeah, I may just go the route of buying a cheap rubber one on ebay for initial protection and then getting a better one once more reviews come out.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
the otterbox defender feels like the commuter these days...

Just got mine in the mail...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347988700_607378.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347988700_607378.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 6,383
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347988779_318586.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347988779_318586.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 6,389

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Did you order through otter box? I'm still hoping mine will show up by friday

I actually ordered through Verizon Wireless and it comes with free two day shipping. It's not bulky at all to me...

College ruled only took up two lines used paper as a gauge for you. it's not really that thick at all.

I also ordered two zoogue cases (black and navy blue) for $5 as well as the KaysCase cases... One slim hard shell in clear, the other soft skin cover case in smoked.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348000597_829497.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348000597_829497.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 6,248
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348000610_467737.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348000610_467737.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 6,252
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348000623_474580.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348000623_474580.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 6,250
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348000634_726202.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348000634_726202.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 6,259

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
So I am trying to decide which case to get for my iPhone 5 (and I really want to have it before the phone so that I can be prepared :). I have been reading so many reviews, looking at so many cases, etc. But what are your opinions on either of these?

I am really worried about having it too bulky as I know a lot of the Otterboxes are but then I really want it protected because I have been known to drop my phone.

I also saw the More phone covers: http://www.more-thing.com/en/iphone/iphone-5.html and I do like all their colors.

Any ideas? I also thought about getting a Ghost Armor cover over the screen and then a rubber case around it.

Thanks!
I would go with the life poor it is slimmer and offers better protection in my opinion. The defender is to bulky in my opinion.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I got my defender today. It's much better than the iPhone 4 or 4s version - the outer rubber is much smoother and harder and less sticky.

Its also thinner than the iPhone 4 Defender, but thicker than the iPhone 4 Lifeproof. I'm happy with it.

The only advantages of the lifeproof I think are obviously that it's waterproof, so everything is covered. On the otterbox, the bottom is somewhat exposed for the speakers, and the top by the camera and earpiece is just a hole, as is the part around the back camera and flash- no clear plastic cover.

However, the lifeproof for previous iphones had the issue of muffled audio and mic pickup, which was pretty bad at times. I think I'll probably stick with the otter box. Definitely better designed and implemented than previous versions.

Scuba-EMT

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Solomons Island, MD
I have had both the OtterBox and the Lifecase for my 4S, I like the Lifecase much better, it's thinner, lighter and offers better protection for the phone. Having said that, I bought the OtterBox for my launch day phones, the cases came today. I will order Lifecases as soon as they are available.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I got my defender today. It's much better than the iPhone 4 or 4s version - the outer rubber is much smoother and harder and less sticky.

Its also thinner than the iPhone 4 Defender, but thicker than the iPhone 4 Lifeproof. I'm happy with it.

The only advantages of the lifeproof I think are obviously that it's waterproof, so everything is covered. On the otterbox, the bottom is somewhat exposed for the speakers, and the top by the camera and earpiece is just a hole, as is the part around the back camera and flash- no clear plastic cover.

However, the lifeproof for previous iphones had the issue of muffled audio and mic pickup, which was pretty bad at times. I think I'll probably stick with the otter box. Definitely better designed and implemented than previous versions.

This is really interesting that the new defender is much thinner. I think my biggest concern with the defender is whenever I see someone with one it feels like one of the rubber pieces is coming off. But these pictures look like that isn't going to happen with the new one. Since I have heard Lifeproof isn't coming out until Christmas, I may stick with a defender.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
This is really interesting that the new defender is much thinner. I think my biggest concern with the defender is whenever I see someone with one it feels like one of the rubber pieces is coming off. But these pictures look like that isn't going to happen with the new one. Since I have heard Lifeproof isn't coming out until Christmas, I may stick with a defender.

The exterior of the new defender feels much more like the exterior of Lifeproof cases - it's still flexible so that you can open the port covers, but it doesn't seem like it'll rip, and it seems easy to pocket.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
The exterior of the new defender feels much more like the exterior of Lifeproof cases - it's still flexible so that you can open the port covers, but it doesn't seem like it'll rip, and it seems easy to pocket.

Hmm, good to know. I'll definitely have to check that one out then! Thank you!

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
If you do go otterbox or incipio for that matter buy it from a verizon wireless brick and mortar store. I went into today to buy an incipio case and left with an otterbox defender even though I am a case "nudist" for the past 2 years due to VW slashing the price from $49.99 to $37.48 after tax. Couldn't pass up a bargain. However, they are giving discounts on all of their in-store case purchases.

Cheers!:apple:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I actually ordered through Verizon Wireless and it comes with free two day shipping. It's not bulky at all to me...

College ruled only took up two lines used paper as a gauge for you. it's not really that thick at all.

I also ordered two zoogue cases (black and navy blue) for $5 as well as the KaysCase cases... One slim hard shell in clear, the other soft skin cover case in smoked.
aprox double the thickness though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.