PDA

View Full Version : Substitution for AirPort

the_freddinator
Aug 18, 2005, 08:27 AM
I was looking in to buying AirPort SOLELY so that I could listen to my music over my home stereo. Is there ANY WAY that I can AVOID buying the $200 base station?? Our network is comprised of windows machines over a Linksys wireless/wired network.
So I guess what I'm asking is:
Is there an APPLE product to suit these needs?
(and although this isn't the specialty of this site)
Is there a LINKSYS/other company that makes products of this kind?

Thanks in advance,
Freddy

gangst
Aug 18, 2005, 08:29 AM
how about airport express?

yellow
Aug 18, 2005, 08:30 AM
Do you mean an AirPort Express?

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

the_freddinator
Aug 18, 2005, 08:35 AM
Crap, my b....Apple posted windows and mac specifications seperately w/out really seperating them... Either way, I might just get some 3rd party FM transmitter for my comp (that way I can use it for my iPod in the car, as well.)

Thanks

ftaok
Aug 18, 2005, 09:31 AM
Crap, my b....Apple posted windows and mac specifications seperately w/out really seperating them... Either way, I might just get some 3rd party FM transmitter for my comp (that way I can use it for my iPod in the car, as well.)

Thanks
freddinator,

Are you saying that your PCs don't meet the requirements? I wouldn't think this would be the case, assuming that you're running iTunes on your PC, you should meet the requirements for AirTunes.

Anyways, the Airport Express is $130, and can integrate with your current Linksys network (assuming it's 11g). You can set the AirExp as a client to your current network and plug it into your stereo to receive streamed music from your PC via iTunes. Alternatively, if you use a certain 3rd firmware for your Linksys router (if you have the WRT54g router), you can use the AirExp to extend the network in addition to streaming music.

ft

the_freddinator
Aug 18, 2005, 09:35 AM
freddinator,

Are you saying that your PCs don't meet the requirements? I wouldn't think this would be the case, assuming that you're running iTunes on your PC, you should meet the requirements for AirTunes.

Anyways, the Airport Express is $130, and can integrate with your current Linksys network (assuming it's 11g). You can set the AirExp as a client to your current network and plug it into your stereo to receive streamed music from your PC via iTunes. Alternatively, if you use a certain 3rd firmware for your Linksys router (if you have the WRT54g router), you can use the AirExp to extend the network in addition to streaming music.

ft

It works w/ PCs, just at first I didn't catch on to it saying wireless network etc. I'm not too excited about spening 130 dollars for Express, though- Thus, my reasoning for a 3rd party FM transmitter.
That is, unless,

Does anybody know of something like express? Something that will retrieve AUDIO data through my current wireless network?