Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
I was looking in to buying AirPort SOLELY so that I could listen to my music over my home stereo. Is there ANY WAY that I can AVOID buying the $200 base station?? Our network is comprised of windows machines over a Linksys wireless/wired network.
So I guess what I'm asking is:
Is there an APPLE product to suit these needs?
(and although this isn't the specialty of this site)
Is there a LINKSYS/other company that makes products of this kind?

Thanks in advance,
Freddy

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
Crap, my b....Apple posted windows and mac specifications seperately w/out really seperating them... Either way, I might just get some 3rd party FM transmitter for my comp (that way I can use it for my iPod in the car, as well.)

Thanks

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
the_freddinator said:
Crap, my b....Apple posted windows and mac specifications seperately w/out really seperating them... Either way, I might just get some 3rd party FM transmitter for my comp (that way I can use it for my iPod in the car, as well.)

Thanks
freddinator,

Are you saying that your PCs don't meet the requirements? I wouldn't think this would be the case, assuming that you're running iTunes on your PC, you should meet the requirements for AirTunes.

Anyways, the Airport Express is $130, and can integrate with your current Linksys network (assuming it's 11g). You can set the AirExp as a client to your current network and plug it into your stereo to receive streamed music from your PC via iTunes. Alternatively, if you use a certain 3rd firmware for your Linksys router (if you have the WRT54g router), you can use the AirExp to extend the network in addition to streaming music.

ft

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
ftaok said:
freddinator,

Are you saying that your PCs don't meet the requirements? I wouldn't think this would be the case, assuming that you're running iTunes on your PC, you should meet the requirements for AirTunes.

Anyways, the Airport Express is $130, and can integrate with your current Linksys network (assuming it's 11g). You can set the AirExp as a client to your current network and plug it into your stereo to receive streamed music from your PC via iTunes. Alternatively, if you use a certain 3rd firmware for your Linksys router (if you have the WRT54g router), you can use the AirExp to extend the network in addition to streaming music.

ft

It works w/ PCs, just at first I didn't catch on to it saying wireless network etc. I'm not too excited about spening 130 dollars for Express, though- Thus, my reasoning for a 3rd party FM transmitter.
That is, unless,

Does anybody know of something like express? Something that will retrieve AUDIO data through my current wireless network?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.