Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pulk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I have had an ibook for about a couple of months as of now. And for the first time it has began freezing on start up. It freezes right away and doesn't even go to the starting screen with the apple icon and the small circle showign the loading up. Also when it finishes it frozen mode it goes to a screen where there is only one small folder in the middle with the finder icon and a question mark flashing. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can fix this problem, it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Your iBook does not know where to load Mac OS X. It can't find a startup folder. Boot off the CD and press the 'C' when booting. Once Mac OS is loaded, use System Preferences->Startup and see if the startup folder on the HD is still there. If it is, great. Selected and reboot. Hopefully, that will solve the problem.

Pulk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I'll be honest and say I am not too sure what you mean by "Boot off the CD." Could you please specify what you mean by that, thanks.

Pulk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Thanks, my question was more specifically which cd, I figured it must be the one to install Mac OS X, but when I go through that I am not able to get to system preferences the computer just prompts me to install mac os x, and when I try doing that I get to the part where I must select a destination and there is no destination. Btw, sorry about my lack of knowledge on macs, I am a first time user.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Perhaps your HD has died.

If you have another computer with FireWire, try booting the iBook in disk target mode. This would be power off the iBook, connect the computers with a FireWire cable. Turn on the iBook while pressing the 'T' key on the iBook. Your iBook's HD should show up on the other computer. If it does not, it may be another sign your HD is broke.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Do you have an Apple Hardware Test CD? Try booting from that. Here is a site that has more info Link

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I'd call 1-800-MY-APPLE RIGHT NOW!

I think your HD has died too, CALL THEM NOW!

Let us know what happens :)

Pulk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I'm running the hardware test right now. But if my hard drive died by any chance, I wouldn't call Apple, I'd just go to the Apple store and return my Mac because its under warranty. But I don't know if it's dead just yet, and I hope it isn't because I like the computer.

Edit:
After the hardware test all my devices passed and the modem was found. What's the next step to take after the hardware test.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
your HD IS DEAD!! it happend to me, take it apple store (hopefully your still under warranty) and have them replace your HD. If you hear :( like a lil clicking noises directly left of the trackpad (where HD is)..then its dead brotha'

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I would think that if your HD was dead the Apple Hardware Test would have detected it. Very strange. I've never used the Apple Hardware Test, so I don't know how it works. Take it into the Apple Store and see what they can do. They may have to send it in a replace the HD. Sorry for your bad luck.

Pulk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Thanks for the help everyone. Turns out the HD wasn't fried, what happened was one of the "volume headers" in the hard drive was misnamed so the computer didn't know where to load the data from. I went to the Apple store near by and they fixed it up for me. Thanks once again to all who helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.