PDA

View Full Version : AVI Codec isn't available

RightMACatU
Sep 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
How come OS X (10.8.1), self-proclaimed the most advanced OS in the world, can't play AVI files? Are AVI files evil for Apple? :p

Looks like I need to install apps such as DivX or Flip4Mac... Opinions on these or other options?
Thanks.

stchman
Sep 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
How come OS X (10.8.1), self-proclaimed the most advanced OS in the world, can't play AVI files? Are AVI files evil for Apple? :p

Looks like I need to install apps such as DivX or Flip4Mac... Opinions on these or other options?
Thanks.

Ah, another example of "just works" for a Mac failing. IIRC, you need to install VLC, VLC plays ANYTHING.

CFoss
Sep 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
.avi is simply a container for the video file. It more depends on the video codec used for the video file.

orfeas0
Sep 19, 2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks.

Ironically, both windows 7's video player (windows media player) and apple's (quicktime, itunes) can't play most video files, as they only support mp4, wmv(windows), and maybe 1 or 2 others.
None of them can play avi/mkv and all those popular files.

"Most advanced OS in the world" is ironical since ubuntu which isn't even that popular compared to mac/windows has VLC preinstalled and can play all video/music files...

stchman
Sep 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ironically, both windows 7's video player (windows media player) and apple's (quicktime, itunes) can't play most video files, as they only support mp4, wmv(windows), and maybe 1 or 2 others.
None of them can play avi/mkv and all those popular files.

"Most advanced OS in the world" is ironical since ubuntu which isn't even that popular compared to mac/windows has VLC preinstalled and can play all video/music files...

VLC does not come pre-installed on Ubuntu.

You can install VLC very easily.

Ubuntu does not have ANY of the CODECs for proprietary formats (avi, mpeg, mp3, aac, etc.) installed by default.

Since Ubuntu does not pay licensing fees to any organizations for proprietary CODECs, they cannot legally include them with the OS. This is easily remedied by installing the restricted CODECs package from the Ubuntu repository.

RightMACatU
Sep 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
I installed VLC and works great. Thanks!

Huuhhhhh, quick question. How do I set VLC as the default player for -all- AVI files? QuickTime stays the default even if I use "Open With..." "Other..." select VLC.app and click "Always Open With"?

stchman
Sep 19, 2012, 06:42 PM
I installed VLC and works great. Thanks!

Huuhhhhh, quick question. How do I set VLC as the default player for -all- AVI files? QuickTime stays the default even if I use "Open With..." "Other..." select VLC.app and click "Always Open With"?

I have not found a media file that VLC won't play.

RightMACatU
Sep 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
What I meant to say is that in "Finder" all my AVIs are associated to QuickTime by default. I have to right-click and do an "Open with" VLC every time I open an AVI.

simsaladimbamba
Sep 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
What I meant to say is that in "Finder" all my AVIs are associated to QuickTime by default. I have to right-click and do an "Open with" VLC every time I open an AVI.

And you already did the steps outlined here I suppose?

How to change the default application a certain file type opens with (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12580348&postcount=4)

RightMACatU
Sep 20, 2012, 06:56 AM
Ahhhhhh... thank you! I was not aware of the "Get Info" part.
That's the kind of things that 20+ years of using Windows will do to you :D

AdrianK
Sep 20, 2012, 07:07 AM
OS X natively supports the AVI container, as does iOS. However it does not support some widely used codecs like h263 (eg Divx/xvid). I guess this is due to politics; partly license fees, partly apple wanting to push h264.