Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
so i was using airplay on my 2012 11 in MBA and i noticed it forced a higher screen resolution that said "best for airplay" in the preferences. is it possible to force this higher "airplay" resolution?

Hmmm, that smells like a potential workaround if someone could figure it out.

My HDTV is the same resolution as my 11" Air, though, haha!

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
yep i want this too, not for viewing website or anything but it's a pleasure working a photoshop job with this forced resolution, because i don't see any quality reduction in the photoshop artwork.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
so i was using airplay on my 2012 11 in MBA and i noticed it forced a higher screen resolution that said "best for airplay" in the preferences. is it possible to force this higher "airplay" resolution?

IIRC, the 11" MBA has a screen resolution of 1366x768. You will not be able to make the screen do higher than the max resolution (there are not enough pixels), but it can do resolutions lower than the max.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
IIRC, the 11" MBA has a screen resolution of 1366x768. You will not be able to make the screen do higher than the max resolution (there are not enough pixels), but it can do resolutions lower than the max.

It still of course is at 1366x768, but if you use Airplay to ATV you have the option to scale the screen to interpolate a desktop space of 1920 x 1080.

I've done this a couple of times at home, and my eyes are good enough that I could handle this resolution on a screen of this size for decent periods of time, but the fuzziness is a bit much. But as a web dev it does has some utility, esp. when I'm proofing mocks vs. live changes for brief periods of time. It also makes me anxious for a rMBA. Sometimes I use Air Utility to hook up to my iPad but that's pretty slow.

So I think the question here is there a hack of some sort, some way to make a MBA believe it is connecting to a 1080p Airplay device?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.