PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air keyboard spill warranty question

bobmcbob2633
Sep 19, 2012, 04:00 AM
I stupidly spilled a really thick smoothie on the right side of my MBA's keyboard (13", mid-2011, A1369) a couple months after I got it last year. The one and only time food was ever near it. :rolleyes: I removed all the keycaps and cleaned it extremely thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, and it isn't visually obvious that anything actually happened. The key switches all work fine, but some of the keys in the spill area feel and sound different (a bit sticky or crunchy depending on the weather), presumably because of internal residue I can't remove.

As I am sure you are all aware, keyboard replacement on the MBA is a nightmare task. The keyboard is riveted to the top case and has a cover glued on it from below. To replace the top case, the entire main body and all its internal components have to be disassembled and disconnected from the bottom up, even down to removing the HSF from the CPU. Plus, the top case costs about $250 for the part alone.

My warranty is finished in a day or two (does "Estimated Expiration Date: September 20, 2012" mean I can still take it in on September 20?). Is it worth my time to take the laptop to the local Apple Store and play dumb and see if they will replace the keyboard under warranty? I am reasonably certain none of the smoothie got inside the laptop under the cover because it was so thick, but I don't know if they would remove this to check for evidence of moisture before performing the repair. If they take it apart and find evidence of a spill, I assume they'd call me and give me a quote on replacing the case, but would they put it all back together if I decline the repair? Would I be better off just fessing up from the beginning?

Some handy photos of what the MBA top case looks like internally here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Story/1782/Drying_Macbook_Air_Keyboard

TheRealDamager
Sep 19, 2012, 08:04 AM
Might as well give it a shot. Even if they do notice the spill, you might get lucky and have them fix it anyway. Good luck.

bobmcbob2633
Sep 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
Well, I set up an appointment for tonight, so we'll see how it goes. If it comes to it, I am probably okay with paying the typical keyboard replacement charges I've seen posted on MacRumors (~$250?). I should have dealt with it ages ago.