Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Hi

I have a Macbook Air and use it with an external monitor most of the time. When doing so, I like to have a static desktop background on the external monitor but a rotating one on the Air itself (which is the secondary display). That all works fine, but if I then use the Air without the external screen that desktop carries over the alternating background – rather than adopting the behaviour of the external (primary) display, if you see what I mean.

So my question is, is there a setting to make the desktop background change only when the Air is being used as the secondary display?

thanks!
Michael

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi

I have a Macbook Air and use it with an external monitor most of the time. When doing so, I like to have a static desktop background on the external monitor but a rotating one on the Air itself (which is the secondary display). That all works fine, but if I then use the Air without the external screen that desktop carries over the alternating background – rather than adopting the behaviour of the external (primary) display, if you see what I mean.

So my question is, is there a setting to make the desktop background change only when the Air is being used as the secondary display?

thanks!
Michael

no dont think primary and secondary theres an internal display and an external display and you like already know you can have different destops and destop behaviors on both but you can make the intenal display thinks its 2 different things

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
It doesn't work since desktop backgrounds are tied to the monitor not to which ever is designated as primary or not.
You could write an automator script that changes it automatically but I think that is the only way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.