Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Anyone else having this bug? Had it in Beta 4, and again on the GM. When I go into settings and pick a ringtone it sounds fine. Later when my phone rings the sound is distorted, the pitch is all wrong. Reset the phone and call it and the ringtone sounds right, but an hour or two later when the phone is called it's the same problem.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
This happened to me too. I noticed it yesterday when my friend called me. Twice it used one of the default ringtones instead of my custom one. After the first time it happened I confirmed the settings were correct, yet it happened again. I'll do some more testing tonight, but at least my text tone is still correct (another custom tone).

mjgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Haven't had the problem of it using the WRONG ring tone, just using the one that I picked but it coming out distorted. Forgot to mention also that my text tones sound fine.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
This was a bug that got fixed in the last iteration of IOS 5, but it's back again in IOS 6. Custom ringtones sound horrible when used as a ringtone. Select the same file as a text alert, or any other alert, they sound great. I wish Apple would fix this.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW my custom ringtone has been fine on both my iPhone 5 and 4 running 6.0.x.

How did you make the ringtone?

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Using wav editors, etc. It's not the file. It's the OS.

I've used a custom ringtone for years and have yet to encounter this. Not saying there isn't a bug in the OS, just that it doesn't seem to affect everyone/every ringtone.

B

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
It's very evident when using headphones, but you can clearly hear the degradation on the speaker as well.

Listen to custom tone in settings under Ringtone, then go to Text Tone and choose same file, listen. Distinct difference. It's like a 320kbps mp3 vs. 80kbps mp3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.